Yawn: Bush’s daughter endorses gay marriage

posted at 10:14 pm on January 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

This is biggish news in the Times and on Twitter, for reasons that utterly escape me. How can it still qualify as newsworthy that a Republican — actually, we don’t know if she’s a Republican — backs gay marriage when Dick Cheney is on record as being in favor? That’s as high as you can get on the political food chain short of Bush pere or fils. Laura Bush is also on record as supporting gay marriage, and another would-be Republican First Lady went so far as to cut an ad in support of repealing DADT. And we all know about Ted Olson, Bush’s solicitor general. In fact, although he supported a constitutional marriage amendment, even Dubya wasn’t a passionate opponent of gays:

In discussing a meeting he had with Texas evangelist and one-time Southern Baptist leader James Robison, for example, Bush reportedly confided in Wead, “I think he wants me to attack homosexuals.” But, the future president said, he told Robison: “‘Look, James, I got to tell you two things right off the bat. One, I’m not going to kick gays, because I’m a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?’”

Bush also expresses concern over an aide’s report from a Christian Coalition meeting, according to the Times article. Reading from the report, he told Wead, “‘This crowd uses gays as the enemy. It’s hard to distinguish between fear of the homosexual political agenda and fear of homosexuality, however.’”

“This is an issue I have been trying to downplay,” Bush continued. “I think it is bad for Republicans to be kicking gays.”

Barbara’s not even an outlier for her age group: Among the 30 or under demographic, support for gay marriage is almost 60 percent. How many more prominent Republicans — Steve Schmidt, Ken Mehlman, etc etc — have to back marriage equality before the “conservative backs marriage equality” storyline isn’t much of a story anymore?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If Palin’s daughter were a bit younger, it would be wise to have her shuttled off to some distant boarding school for the time being, before her foolish actions and words did even more damage.

Unfortunately she’s too old for that and I forsee similar nonsense coming from her in the coming years.

Dark-Star on February 1, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Same for you. Honestly, has everyone here taken a douchebag pill?

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Lingering effects from exposure to wrong4life on the creation-evolution thread, IMHO.

Dark-Star on February 1, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Just tell me Barabra isn’t gay. That would be a big loss for Team Heterosexual. She’s hawt.

Pablo on February 1, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I tell my self-professed leftist friends that it is ok to be right-wing since the war over gay marriage is more or less won. The homophobes have lost the moral argument and the demographics point to gay marriage victories in the next decade. I didn’t even realize the counterargument would be made so strongly on HotAir. Maybe, it’s just the natural revulsion to the Bushes–a revulsion which I share.

thuja on February 1, 2011 at 1:06 AM

If gays want the same legal standings in their relationships as marriage, then they should support some other form of the very same thing, a contract between them and their lover, but not demand that everyone else be forced to call it marriage.

astonerii on January 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Fat chance of that happening. Gays already have that in California, but want “marriage”. It seems to me that gays aren’t looking for equal rights, but affirmation of their lifestyle. They want society to tell them that it is okay to be gay so they won’t feel guilty about it or something. I think that there are similar aspects to the politics of abortion. I have heard that women who have had abortions want it to remain legal because they feel bad about having an abortion, but the fact that it is legal gives them some solace.

besser tot als rot on January 31, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Last time I checked…

… homosexuals are allowed to enter into “civil unions” which carry the same legal weight of a “marriage” between a man and a woman.

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Pat Quinn just signed off on Civil Unions here in Illinois and gay activists didn’t even wait for the ink to dry before they started talking about gay marriage.

macblanegirl on February 1, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Its nothing less than an ideological attack on a culture. Marriage is a man and a woman.

KMC1 on February 1, 2011 at 1:26 AM

I can think of 14.1 trillion reasons why this is a non-issue.

JeffB. on February 1, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Pablo on February 1, 2011 at 1:01 AM

All Barbaras are hawt.
It’s the name. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:50 AM

They really need to stop the “marry whoever you love” line because they obviously aren’t for letting anyone marry whoever they love, it’s dishonest, unless Barbara is ok with her dad marrying her grandma.

clearbluesky on February 1, 2011 at 2:02 AM

IMHO it is a private and personal matter. Let people “marry” whomever or whatever they want, they don’t live in my house. Just leave my money alone, don’t touch my guns, don’t sneak around my yard at night cause my dogs bite. Some of you people are as bad as the mussies, what, should we stone em’ to death?

KYclip on February 1, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Somebody should have told her to hold her head straight. Reminds me of my dog when I make animal noises.

ronsfi on February 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Shut. Up.
*rolls eyes skyward*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Reminds me of my dog when I make animal noises.

ronsfi on February 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Wow. The f**king douchebag quotient has been really heavy in this post. Is this the new conservative approach to someone who disagrees with them civilly? Feel free to set me straight by laying out Barbara Bush’s constant attacks on conservatism or numerous claims to be some sort of authority on it…or any issue, for that matter. Sickening.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Who’s a good girl? Yes indeedy, you’re a good girl aren’t you?

The caption for that video should be:

I’m an airhead who hasn’t any experience to speak of cause I’m like young and like I’ve got parents who are politically influential so people will like listen to me and stuff.
Just like meggie mccain? (She should lay off the haagen daaz don’t you think?)

WHO. CARES?

Are we supposed to say; “whoa, stop the presses, Barbara BUSH says gay marriage is ok. That’s it folks. The issue is decided.”

The point about gay marriage isn’t how many think it’s ok but what the consequences will be if it is legally sanctioned.
Yeah, gay folks have a right to be with who they want to be. Problem is; UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES.
What other group of people who have a sexual preference/life style/obsession who are denied marriage now, will want to have THEIR particular flavor of interrelatonship allowed to proliferate?

In order of who has the bucks and the will to fight to have their ‘marriage’ legal:
1. polygamists (3 or more ‘partners’)
2. pedophiliacs (age of marriage denies youth the right to marry)
3. Animal lovers. (and I’m not talking about the humane society or PETA. {wait. maybe I am})
4. Necrophiliacs. (the dead have rights too!)
5. (fill in the blank as human beings fall in love with the strangest of things)

Anyone willing to say that NONE of any of the above groups WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT sue to be allowed to marry if Gays become legally allowed to marry?

I didn’t think so.
Ergo, the institution of marriage will be nullified. (forget the self-serving blather about how marriage is already crumbling. That’s a function of the feminist movement for the most part. And the economic pressure for both partners to pursue careers outside the home. A reasonable proposition of the primary purpose of marriage is to sanctify the relationship and provide a stable environment to raise children and strengthen the community. None of which can happen in a gay marriage without outside cooperation/cooption, coercion.)

The primary recipient of power and control with this fundamental shift, will be governmental agencies and their advocates.

jcw46 on February 1, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Just like meggie mccain? (She should lay off the haagen daaz don’t you think?)

jcw46 on February 1, 2011 at 2:57 AM

That is some delicious irony there, juxtaposing a childish joke about Meghan McCain’s weight right after lamenting perceived youthful ignorance. Are we to assume that you’re middle-aged and making such childish insults? If so, is that somehow “better”?

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 3:16 AM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Actually, I agree with her viewpoint a55hat. It’s a common mistake with inexperienced spokes persons to cock their heads to the side. It’s looks goofy. Gawd you’re such an a55 kisser.

ronsfi on February 1, 2011 at 3:44 AM

Kucfing A student.

ronsfi on February 1, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Good to see the Republicans make a dent in the stranglehold the Christian right had on the party for years.

rickyricardo on February 1, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Barbs voice doesn’t match her look. I’d still love to examine her tonsils however.

rickyricardo on February 1, 2011 at 4:11 AM

You understand the purpose of a comment blog is to give people the ability to…uh….comment, right?

If you don’t care that others are saying that they don’t care, why post anything about their not-caring unless you just feel like being an ahole?

Bishop on January 31, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I care that you said that but still demand that you stop because I think everyone should comment only if they agree with me. /

hawkdriver on February 1, 2011 at 4:52 AM

OMG! I actually agree with a lot of what Madison Conservative said. A lot of you are being very childish in regards to Barbara Bush. Oh, and again, he’s right in saying you people are very childish with the fat jokes, especially since before election day 2008 many of you have stated how hot Meghan McCain is.

DethMetalCookieMonst on February 1, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Alright, now that the battle for gay marriage has essentially been won we can now start the battle for brother/sister,father/daughter,owner/pet marriage etc.

paraff on February 1, 2011 at 6:12 AM

Your argument reveals you to be a fool. “Homophobes” may have lost something or other, but homosexuals certainly did not win any moral argument. They may win a political maneuver, but that is outside the moral realm. Call it what you wish, go ahead and comfort yourself, it is temporal. The fact that you use gay victories and demographics in the same sentence is laughable. Talk about Pyrrhic victories.

rhodeymark on February 1, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Everyone should have the right to marry the person they(sic) love.

Shall we then put this into law, verbatim?
Then “they” could marry their daughter/son, their in-law, a-pre-teen, someone else’s wife/husband or, maybe in Hugh Hefner’s case, the TWO sisters.

After all, it’s a matter of principle.

And, we won’t worry about the needs of kids to have both a mother and a father.

oakland on February 1, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Oh, but it feels so right, it can’t be wrong!
It tastes so good it can’t be bad!

“Everyone should have the right to marry the person they love.”

What if I love little 9 year old Susie, her sister Mary and 12 year old Joey? Do they have to love me back in order for me to exercise my “right” to marry them?
Yeah, like the man says, it all makes sense if you don’t think about it.

JellyToast on February 1, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Yeah, I believe in a god of no restrictions. My god is created in my own image. He’s the god of my own imagination and that’s why I’m at perfect peace with him. I can do anything, love anyone, have sex with everyone and be whatever I want! No boundaries! I’ll be the freest guy in hell!

JellyToast on February 1, 2011 at 6:57 AM

but homosexuals certainly did not win any moral argument. rhodeymark on February 1, 2011 at 6:14 AM

They have to the extent they have confirmed that American has given up on the idea of objective morals. In this post-modern relativistic society there is no right and wrong, only illegal/legal and whatever makes someone feel good about themselves.

tommyboy on February 1, 2011 at 7:13 AM

That’s a rather odd view of Christianity. Sinners, if serious about their relationship with God turn away from the sin…homosexuals, if they continue in homosexual relationships, cannot, by definition, turn away from their sin. Marrying into sin would be an even deeper proclamation that you’re not serious about turning away from sin. No serious Biblical expert denies that the Bible is very clear on homosexuality. It is emphatically against it in every case. Period. So, this view of Christianity is bizarre to say the least.

TheBlueSite on February 1, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Honestly, could the Bushes please, please, please just go away. Really. I’m so sick of their “compasionate conservative” crap.

Jebby- you especially. You were my gov and now it’s time to let it go.

stenwin77 on February 1, 2011 at 7:27 AM

I’m not really a proponent of the gay lifestyle or marriage but right now, there are much, MUCH bigger fish to fry than that. The world is falling apart and gay bashing isn’t going to fix the problems we have going on. Worry about that after we get our finances and jobs back in order. After we stop the raging advance of socialism in America. After we see if the Middle East is going to implode. After we see if North Korea is going to nuke South Korea. After we secure our borders. Yeah, gayness just doesn’t seem to be at the top of the “Oh sh!t list” right now.

Big John on February 1, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Gang, I hate to say it but young people don’t think the way older people think. Some of that will change when they have kids of their own but marriage isn’t viewed the same. As a member with 35 years of good standing, trust me, I have tried to think of how I managed to ruin the image of the institution but I haven’t broken the code.

Cindy Munford on February 1, 2011 at 7:52 AM

WHO. CARES?

jcw46 on February 1, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Hey douchebag, the point is made for the benefit of the lefties. In their opinion, if even a BUSH can agree, then the rest of the Cons must be knuckle dragging hypocrites. But I guess that’s over your head. Besides, how can you compare her to McCain? That twit is actively putting herself out there as if she’s an expert but in fact only has any forum because of her dad. I don’t see Barbara doing the same thing. Learn some courtesy or just go away. You lose all credibility points with such blazing snark and ignorance. But that’s just my opinion.

Big John on February 1, 2011 at 8:02 AM

thuja on February 1, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Yep. That’s why same-sex marriage passed the ballot in 31 states now.

What? It didn’t? But I thought the battle was over, and same-sex marriage was inevitable!

What is inevitable are elitists sniffing at people who still believe there’s something wrong with being homosexual. But that sort of sniffing at morality has been going on in large scale from elitists since at least the 1920′s.

There Goes The Neighborhood on February 1, 2011 at 8:06 AM

I mean, how does being the daughter of a former president make her opinion less valuable than yours?

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

The only reason she is given air time is because of whose loins she was spewed from. You on the other hand don’t even have that and are reduced to getting an audience of a few hundred.

And look at what you’ve done with that by attacking people in a forum where people comment just to comment. Using your own argument, the people who discount her opinion are voicing their opinion and therefore as equally valid because they are not born in the “right” family.

csdeven on February 1, 2011 at 8:07 AM

I worry more about George fretting about “nativism” and immigration.

Fallon on February 1, 2011 at 8:15 AM

If her daddy hadn’t been POTUS, nobody would give a rat’s you know what, what her opinion is on very little.

Memo to all these children of politicians, GO AWAY!

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on February 1, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I guess she was jealous that Meghan McCain was getting all the attention

mizflame98 on February 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Enough with teh gheys already, they are a tiny fringe sexual minority in the population and should be roundly ignored as the eye rolling attention seeking distraction they are.

The freaking wheels are coming off the wagon with regards to the economy, the deficit and the constitution and teh gheys have their panties in a knot because most people are repulsed by their fetish.

Alden Pyle on February 1, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Good one.

manwithblackhat on February 1, 2011 at 8:47 AM

The homophobes have lost the moral argument
thuja on February 1, 2011 at 1:06 AM

The sodomophiles won the moral argument? At a NAMBLA meeting? What?

Akzed on February 1, 2011 at 8:49 AM

… because that which makes up the world is being threatened, by those who want to make it into whatever they want for their own selfish purpose. No civilization in history has ever survived without marriage or the family. Every civilization in history has “fallen apart” when, among other things, these institutions has been threatened. Here, I’ll connect the dots for you. When people get old and don’t have the benefit of marriage and the family, they don’t have children to take care of them, so the government takes care of them. That costs money, in the form of taxes, which could be high enough to be diverted away from investment in business that would employ those who take care of their families so that when they get old …

You with me so far?

manwithblackhat on February 1, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Same for you. Honestly, has everyone here taken a douchebag ThePrez pill?

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

FIXED

mizflame98 on February 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM

astonerii on January 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM

But why does it have to be “different”? And not for nothing, but you won’t be “forced” (I mean, really…”forced”?) to call a marriage between Jack and Steve anything you don’t want to. Don’t know why it would be so difficult for you to do…I mean, Anna Nicole marries an elderly rich dude obviously for the $$$ and it’s called “marriage”, yet two of the same sex marry to possibly raise a family, love each other, and contribute to society can’t use that word “marriage”.

Alden Pyle on February 1, 2011 at 8:47 AM

JetBoy on February 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Alden Pyle on February 1, 2011 at 8:47 AM

that’s exactly why they’re doing it now. When times were good they couldn’t get their agenda through, now with the state of our Union in utter chaos they can better get their agendas through while everyone’s distracted. Now all of a sudden Gay Marriage is not such a big deal on the scale of things we must do to survive.
I bet a lot of people who voted to repeal DADT thought that if we throw the gays a bone they’ll shut up and leave us to do what needs to be done. Boy, were they sadly mistaken.

mizflame98 on February 1, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I do agree we need to fix the economy before anything else…but it’s still going to be an issue in the near future to be dealt with. JetBoy on February 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM

1. Economy: 100% of population effected.

2. Marriage for the sexually confused: 2% of population effected.

Priorities, priorities.

Akzed on February 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM

obviously we will…as the doctor in CA, and photographer in AZ found out…

right4life on February 1, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Yawn, zzzzzzz, huh? But headline post, I see.

Grow Fins on February 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

You with me so far?

manwithblackhat on February 1, 2011 at 8:52 AM

bingo. very true, we’re a civilization in decline…

right4life on February 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

at she’s cuter than meghan mooo mccain…

right4life on February 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM

In the computer age she can get the word out about her opinion on the issue. Good for her. And, she is a very nice looking young woman.

SC.Charlie on February 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

oakland, you left out goats, goats are people too. Why can’t the freaks marry goats? we are just haters…

rgranger on February 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Hey douchebag, the point is made for the benefit of the lefties. … Learn some courtesy or just go away. You lose all credibility points with such blazing snark and ignorance. But that’s just my opinion.

Big John on February 1, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Hey, MadisonConservative? How about the irony here?

Did you have the vapors or a fantod and have to go have a lie down before you saw this?

You AND Big John are just as big douchebags for having the arrogance to pronounce your judgment on others’ comments. I had Barbara making the comment about Meggie. You choose to make it mine though. I note neither of you had anything to say about the substance of the comment. Why is that pray tell? Hmmmm? Perhaps you’re too close to the subject matter and feel your ox being gored to be objective?

Both of you show the classic symptoms of a ‘progressive’ mind: hurl names at those with opinions or comments you don’t like with undeserved piety but reveal your pettiness by your actions.

MadisonConservative and Big John sitting in a tree.
k. i. s. s. i. n. g.
First comes love then comes marriage.
Then comes ….

Nope,sorry, no baby for these two. they’ll have to go rent a womb somewhere.

neener neener neener to you too. douchebags!

jcw46 on February 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Amazing that W makes it his proclaimation that he will not comment on the current administration; however, he, MaMa Barbara, daughter Barbara, wife, and brother Jeb, feel free to take on gay marriage, immigration, and Sarah Palin.( Very confusing or maybe contradictory.)

mobydutch on February 1, 2011 at 9:28 AM

with undeserved piety but reveal your pettiness by your actions.
MadisonConservative and Big John sitting in a tree.
k. i. s. s. i. n. g.
First comes love then comes marriage.
Then comes ….

Nope,sorry, no baby for these two. they’ll have to go rent a womb somewhere.

neener neener neener to you too. douchebags!
jcw46 on February 1, 2011 at 9:26 AM

No comment.

Abby Adams on February 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM

wealth makes you liberal. why cant these ppl just go away?

moonbatkiller on February 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM

All Barbaras are hawt.
It’s the name. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Streisand?

I don’t think so.

GT on February 1, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I only have problems with Republicans who support gay marriage because of the sloppy thinking generally behind that support…not because “gays are the enemy” or any sort of lesser person, but because the support comes without fully understanding how it alters the social and legal point and purpose of marriage.

SarahW on February 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 2:55 AM

My name is also Barbara and I said it as one Barb to another.
There’s something about our name that tends to make a person mouthy.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM

We have a gay family member who is well connected in Dallas society, who says George and family have a lot of gay friends there. Maybe that accounts for their support for gays.

silvernana on February 1, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Streisand?

I don’t think so.

GT on February 1, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I agree-but she’s ‘Barbra’.
The young Ms. Bush and I are Barbara’s.
Actually I’m not hawt either.
I’m cute-in a nefarious sort of way.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM

thuja on February 1, 2011 at 1:06 AM

You’re deluded. Which segment of the increasing demographic is more socially liberal than middle class white people. Is it going to be the Hispanics, or I know maybe the Muslims. You haven’t thought this through at all have you? The current popular trend in PC is to support multiculturalism and down play integration, so expect these groups to maintain many of the social positions they held in their home countries. This demographic change isn’t the dawn of gay rights, you simpleton. It’s the end.

DFCtomm on February 1, 2011 at 10:14 AM

That’s nice.

Herb on February 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM

The fight to keep the traditions and institutions that made this a great civilization will not end, and we will never give up. The Homosexual lobby is for special rights, not equal rights. Much like the labor union and civil rights organizations, they have over-reached and outlived their purpose.

The Homosexual lobby is as sick and twisted as anything I have ever seen.

Bleed_thelizard on February 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM

When did we start taking debutantes seriously?

Akzed on February 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM

her hotness factor dropped a point because of this, but only a point

jediwebdude on February 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM

How about a trade?

How about we legalize gay marriage in all 50 states – but keep them out of the military (or at least the combat arms branches)?

Professor Blather on February 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Sorry, I meant 57 states. Also, anyplace where they speak Austrian.

Gay fun for everyone!*

*Except in my infantry platoon.

Professor Blather on February 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I guess she was jealous that Meghan McCain was getting all the attention

The attention Meghan McCain gets includes being spotted in sattelite photos.

Emperor Norton on February 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

All Barbaras are hawt.
It’s the name. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Certainly not Grandma Barbara Bush. She looked 85 in 1980. Her age finally caught up with her face.

bw222 on February 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM

bw222 on February 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I met her at a rally a few weeks before the 1988 election. I had just turned 18.
She told me that I had a cool name and winked at me.
I like her.
Her granddaughter-not so much.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I wonder if liberals will ever realize that if gays really do start marrying, having children, and joining the military in large numbers … a whole lot of them will turn conservative rather quickly.

Professor Blather on February 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM

With all the talk of Barbaras I’m surprised no posted this.
I like it better than ‘Barbara Ann’.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM

She looked scared to death to be in front of the camera, to me, and no, I’m not persuaded by her (lack of an) argument.

JannyMae on February 1, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Bushies are only embraced when they kowtow to the homosexual agenda. The rest of the time they are certified enemies of humanity.

wraithby on February 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Why should you care? Did you read Allah’s post?

That is why. I’ve talked before about how social cons have already LOST their “culture war” on a lot of issues, whether they realize it or not. Gay marriage is one of them. It’s a matter of “when” it will become a reality, not “if”.

Vyce on January 31, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I agree, and this is why it is a matter of “when” the USofA falls as a civilization, not “if”.

Who, having known the justice of God, did not understand that they who do such things, are worthy of death; and not only they that do them, but they also that consent to them that do them. The Romans didn’t listen, and neither do the American Youth, the ‘future’ of our once great and religious nation.

God have mercy on my children.

pannw on February 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Who cares? Really! She should have learned something from Meghan McCain’s ignorant rants and not embarrassed herself and the family. The follies of youth. Let’s not forget the worst of them all, Ronnie Reagan, a real nimrod!

tomshup on February 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM

wraithby on February 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Exaggerate much?

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

tomshup on February 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Yes, because what Barbara Bush just said in that half-minute ad was clearly just an ignorant rant. She should have avoided embarrassing her family by not simply stating she was for gay marriage. She should have just shut up because she disagrees with you, right?

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

You see, what we do here is debate issues.

It doesn’t make much sense to criticize people for disagreeing with someone else.

What we normally do here when we disagree with someone is to offer our best efforts to defeat his argument using facts, reason, humor, history, etc.

Your habitual abrasiveness and bullying would embarrass you were you capable of shame but, then again if you were, you’d behave.

tire·some
adj. Causing fatigue or boredom; wearisome. So lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness; any Madison”Conservative” post on the many blogs he/she frequents.

Akzed on February 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Madison Conservative:

Right!

tomshup on February 1, 2011 at 11:49 AM

This issue like Homosexual adoption, celebrity worship, Global warming, deficit spending, forcing us into a “new world order” and similar are just symptoms of the Progressive War on Traditional America.

The war on us by them is ongoing……..because they hate us.

It’s just that simple.

PappyD61 on February 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Akzed on February 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Because nothing says fair debate of issues like making fat/bimbo jokes or telling them to just sit down and shut up.

Bee on February 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM

You see, what we do here is debate issues.

Actually, you don’t. You insult people, such as me. Like you do at the very end of this post, right after claiming you debate issues.

Nor does it make sense to criticize people for disagreeing with you. That’s not debate. Maybe you should learn what words mean.

Facts, reason, history, yes. Humor? When that’s employed, people here often refer to it as “Alinsky tactics”. Well, unless it’s in their favor. Or taking the cheap way out by attacking someone for their last name, or their age, or their weight, or some other completely mindless ad hominem that does nothing to address their position. However, you and others here have become so well-versed in taking this shortcut that you’re blind to its inanity.

Akzed on February 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM

That’s pretty rich coming from you, given that you follow that up with abrasiveness and bullying, which I’ve excised to make you look a tad less self-defeating. Perhaps you could follow up by going back to your old tack of striking “conservative” from my name. Because, you know, that’s not abrasive or bullying.

I’ll leave you and the rest to continue “debating” an inoffensive short ad by the daughter of our former president by smearing her personal attributes, rather than the issue she addressed civilly without the attitude that some dimly transferred to her from Meghan McCain.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM

She should have just shut up because she disagrees with you, right?

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Madison Conservative:

Right!

tomshup on February 1, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Terrific.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Who cares? Gay marriage/something equivalent is going to happen eventually anyway.

therightwinger on February 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM

You see, what we do here is debate issues.

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM

BWAHAHAHAH oh the irony…

what a buffoon

right4life on February 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM

therightwinger on February 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM

only if the judges impose it. they lose every vote, because they’ve lost the debate.

right4life on February 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM

When are the offspring of politicians going to realize that nobody gives a rats-butt what they think?

They are no different than anyone else and are not entitled to any larger platform than the rest of us. They are not elected officials and are in most cases politically stupid.

tx2654 on February 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM

MY original comment was directed at Ms. Bush almost in fun BECAUSE WE SHARE THE SAME FIRST NAME. Like me-she has a big mouth.
See.
Thanks, Barb

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

“Same for you. Honestly, has everyone here taken a douchebag pill?
ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM”

Sorry for the delayed response. Didn’t get back to this thread until now.

Gee, ‘Prez’, if I had known expressing MY views (just like Barb is doing) got on your nerves so bad I would have said more. Thanks for your input. I’ll be sure to express myself freely in the future.

JimP on February 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

When publishers quit paying them to put their name on ghost-written columns and/or quit putting cameras in their face.

tommyboy on February 1, 2011 at 12:43 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

She didn’t strike me as particularly long-winded. So by “Shut.Up.” you just meant…don’t talk? So confused.

Bee on February 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM

All this means is that someone in the Bush family is a homosexual. This is how I’ve seen these things happen. A normally conservative family finds out that one of their members is a homosexual so, in order to protect them and stand with them, portions of the rest of the family pitch out long held beliefs and suddenly love homosexual marriage. I don’t think too highly of most of the Bushes. Don’t forget that the elder Bush headed Planned Parenthood in Houston before Reagan selected him as his Vice-Presidential running mate because Bush promised to drop his pro-abortion stance. That family is a lot more liberal than most people realize, particularly the elder Bush’s wife, Barbara. She’s loved abortion for decades.

BillCarson on February 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

God have mercy on my children.

pannw on February 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM

The Romans made Christianity their official state religion in the last stage of their Empire. They flourished for centuries with plenty of debauchery. The US could lose its dominant position due to financial mismanagement, not due to gay people being gay.

dedalus on February 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Meh, big deal. As long as she doesn’t come out with a statement saying she supports Keith Olbermann. Oh, wait. Gay marriage..Keith..maybe she does..

sgtstogie on February 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I’ll still take her over Megan McCain.

Machiavelli Hobbes on February 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM

dedalus on February 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Such a statement may be historically factual, but it also demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of Christianity.

Inanemergencydial on February 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

MadisonConservative on February 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Blah, blah blah…as usual. Lots of words and no substance. Most of the time I just skip past your posts, but this one struck me and I want to respond.

You might not be offended by this ad, but I am. That’s because I’m astute enough to realize that this push for homosexual marriage “equality” –too funny! — has absolutely nothing to do with “gays” being able to “marry who they love” and everything to do with silencing any opposition to the “gay agenda.” They can marry who they love now, but we all know that’s not good enough for them. They want their “relationships” sanctioned by law and equated with traditional marriage. Not gonna happen if I have anything to say about it.

JannyMae on February 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM