Yawn: Bush’s daughter endorses gay marriage

posted at 10:14 pm on January 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

This is biggish news in the Times and on Twitter, for reasons that utterly escape me. How can it still qualify as newsworthy that a Republican — actually, we don’t know if she’s a Republican — backs gay marriage when Dick Cheney is on record as being in favor? That’s as high as you can get on the political food chain short of Bush pere or fils. Laura Bush is also on record as supporting gay marriage, and another would-be Republican First Lady went so far as to cut an ad in support of repealing DADT. And we all know about Ted Olson, Bush’s solicitor general. In fact, although he supported a constitutional marriage amendment, even Dubya wasn’t a passionate opponent of gays:

In discussing a meeting he had with Texas evangelist and one-time Southern Baptist leader James Robison, for example, Bush reportedly confided in Wead, “I think he wants me to attack homosexuals.” But, the future president said, he told Robison: “‘Look, James, I got to tell you two things right off the bat. One, I’m not going to kick gays, because I’m a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?’”

Bush also expresses concern over an aide’s report from a Christian Coalition meeting, according to the Times article. Reading from the report, he told Wead, “‘This crowd uses gays as the enemy. It’s hard to distinguish between fear of the homosexual political agenda and fear of homosexuality, however.’”

“This is an issue I have been trying to downplay,” Bush continued. “I think it is bad for Republicans to be kicking gays.”

Barbara’s not even an outlier for her age group: Among the 30 or under demographic, support for gay marriage is almost 60 percent. How many more prominent Republicans — Steve Schmidt, Ken Mehlman, etc etc — have to back marriage equality before the “conservative backs marriage equality” storyline isn’t much of a story anymore?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

New wedge toy for democrats.

Inanemergencydial on January 31, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I’m sure Bristol and Willow will do the same thing to President Palin.

What is it with President’s kids?

portlandon on January 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Whoopity-doo.

Funny how someone derided as a drunken sl*t by the media for the better part of 10 years now becomes newsworthy because she says something that agrees with their worldview.

teke184 on January 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Where’s the duct tape & “H8″ nonsense?

KS Rex on January 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

And I should care what she thinks, why?

RBMN on January 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

what blue eyes..

ted c on January 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

So what?

CantCureStupid on January 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Them’s some seriously hot eyes.

The lefties won’t let one of Dubya’s progeny off the hook so easily, Barbie is going to have to spit on a soldier or try to handcuff Rumsfeldt before she gains any cred with them.

Bishop on January 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

look out meggie mac. there’s another gal angling in on your turf. Where is she tonight.? Is it 2-fer-1 burritos at the Taco Bell?

ted c on January 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

She is the pretty daughter.

portlandon on January 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

what blue eyes..

ted c on January 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

And that dreamy voice.

Electrongod on January 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

And I should care what she thinks, why?

RBMN on January 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Why should we care what you think? I mean, how does being the daughter of a former president make her opinion less valuable than yours?

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Slightly OT, but they’ll soon be paving the way for revisionist history on Bush like they’ve been doing with Reagan lately. Come 2012, notable libs will be pining for the “worldly, compassionate, and congenial” GWB.

Firefly_76 on January 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

So what?

CantCureStupid on January 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Word up

darwin-t on January 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Who cares…

look out meggie mac. there’s another gal angling in on your turf.

Nah, not until Barbara twitpics her boobs on twitter…

ninjapirate on January 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Groan. The brunette Meggie Mac. Enough with the rich elites’ children and their predilections. When we want to know what you think, we’ll ask you.

JimP on January 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM

She’s cute and attractive.

Point?

Key West Reader on January 31, 2011 at 10:25 PM

She is the pretty daughter.

portlandon on January 31, 2011 at 10:20 PM

You’re bad.

heh

CWforFreedom on January 31, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Of course she endorsed it. The Bush family is progressive. You know, they worry about the boogeyman of global warming, the boogeyman of “nativists”, and the boogeyman of islamaphobia. Fittingly, they also worry about the boogeyman of homophobia. And when it comes to social assistance, Bush always felt the federal government could lend a hand to help.

keep the change on January 31, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I see a lot of “who cares? so what, don`t care what she thinks.” If that`s how some of you feel, why post anything unless you just feel like being a-holes?

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

RT @jbarro: no surprise so many GOP political daughters are endorsing marriage equality. Support among elites under 35 is near-universal.

Which brings to mind…

The Conditioners, then, are to choose what kind of artificial Tao they will, for their own good reasons, produce in the Human race. They are the motivators, the creators of motives. But how are they going to be motivated themselves?

At the moment, then, of Man’s victory over Nature, we find the whole human race subjected to some individual men, and those individuals subjected to that in themselves which is purely `natural’—to their irrational impulses. Nature, untrammelled by values, rules the Conditioners and, through them, all humanity. Man’s conquest of Nature turns out, in the moment of its consummation, to be Nature’s conquest of Man.

ninjapirate on January 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

When we want to know what you think, we’ll ask you.

JimP on January 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Same for you. Honestly, has everyone here taken a douchebag pill?

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

It’s only news because The Left only believes what it think it knows about the GOP.

SouthernGent on January 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

So what? You gotta admit she gets hotter and hotter.

carbon_footprint on January 31, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I’m sure Bristol and Willow will do the same thing to President Palin.

What is it with President’s kids?

portlandon on January 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Sarah’s pretty gay-friendly herself.

Please, no Meggie Mac comparisons. Isn’t baby Barbara a medical student?

Terrie on January 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM

She is entitled to her opinion, but I want to know why the offspring of many leaders receive such public forums for their opinions. Let’s see, a few to come to my mind as recent blabber mouths: Meghan McCain, Ron Reagan, and now, the Bushie daughter. Oh, I guess it is not always the kids, I almost forgot MaMa Bush who said Palin needs to stay in Alaska.

mobydutch on January 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

You understand the purpose of a comment blog is to give people the ability to…uh….comment, right?

If you don’t care that others are saying that they don’t care, why post anything about their not-caring unless you just feel like being an ahole?

Bishop on January 31, 2011 at 10:33 PM

How does she get around the “marriage is between a man and a woman” line in the bible? I do not recall the marriage equality clause in the vows written in the old testament (torah)

shar61 on January 31, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Sarah’s pretty gay-friendly herself.
Terrie on January 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM

That`s it! RINO! TRAITOR TO THE REPUBLIC! lol

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:34 PM

And that dreamy voice.

Electrongod on January 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM

I like Jenna better..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Another worthless Bush.

Leadership all over the place. woot.

rightwingyahooo on January 31, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Hey! How dare you guys express derision and snark. This is Hot Air and those kinds of posts are off sides. I will call you names and pout until you do what I say…(walking away in an effeminate huff)…

Mormon Doc on January 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM

“And everyone should have the right to marry the person that they love.

I don’t think anybody cares about what she thinks but I do so love the “love” bit. When someone shows me the word love in any law or license concerning marriage I’ll start thinking it should have some relevance.

Rocks on January 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM

gay-friendly? I am gay-friendly, I just stop at the marriage issue.

shar61 on January 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Ghey Rob: ♥KISS ME♥

Kini on January 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM

That`s it! RINO! TRAITOR TO THE REPUBLIC! lol

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Jenfidel? Is that You? //

portlandon on January 31, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Until you finally come out of your closet!

Blake on January 31, 2011 at 10:38 PM

You’d think she could do something substantial with that mouth.

heshtesh on January 31, 2011 at 10:39 PM

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Thank you for appointing yourself the moderator of all comments. WTF?

BuckeyeSam on January 31, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Bishop on January 31, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I had no idea the purpose of a comment blog is for people to post comments. Ya learn something new everyday.

But if this is such a non-issue for some, an item they don`t care about, what`s the point in posting other than to be an a$$hole?

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Well that is enough for me to throw out one of the cornerstones of Western Civilization and thousands of years of tradition. I was waiting to see where she came down on this.

echosyst on January 31, 2011 at 10:40 PM

These videos with celebrities preaching to the camera are so patronizing.

Government should not be in the business of recognizing marriages, gay or otherwise.

It should be a private matter.

commodore on January 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM

BuckeyeSam on January 31, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I`m merely offering an observation and scratching my head about it. You`re the one assuming I appointed myself as some sort of moderator.

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM

The Bushies sure are on a roll today ticking off conservatives!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I care about what she has to say about as much as I care what Meggie McCain says. Do our politicians children think they are royalty or something?

ctmom on January 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Damn, I’d hit that.

SWLiP on January 31, 2011 at 10:46 PM

So I guess in George Bush’s world murder should not only be legal but supported. After all, how can we differentiate sin? What a moron.

echosyst on January 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Oh, please…..

mobydutch on January 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Illegal gays must be able to cross the border at will, marry, and adopt!

On our tax dollars!

Bush III?

profitsbeard on January 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM

what blue eyes..

ted c on January 31, 2011 at 10:19 PM

No kidding. Now, what was she talking about?

BowHuntingTexas on January 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM

mobydutch on January 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Again, I`m merely offering an observation and scratching my head about it. I`m not asking anyone to agree with me.

ThePrez on January 31, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I imagine some one thought a patrician princess of the American Royal Bush dynasty would draw attention to the cause and lend an elite Republican luster to the not fully gilded turd.

BL@KBIRD on January 31, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Call an ace-an-ace….homosexual marriage. A marriage between individuals who perform acts/crimes against nature…then go on to adopt a heterosexual child….We live in bizaroworld

hoi polloi on January 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM

attack of the bimbo’s. Another Meghan McCain clone. DD

Darvin Dowdy on January 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Another legend in her own mind because of the family she was born into (or married into).

These people are neither historians, philosophers, theologians or even those who have thought long and hard about the implications and consequences of what they say.

They are reeds bending with the wind of culture. If the wind blew in the opposite direction, then they would bend that way.

They are set up in their own conceit.

INC on January 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM

They are set up in their own conceit.

INC on January 31, 2011 at 10:55 PM
very good explaination…..

mobydutch on January 31, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I still do not see where this is about equality. A gay man is just as free to marry a woman as any other man is. A gay woman is just as free to marry a man as any other woman. Marriage is an institution with a very specific purpose along with an extremely long history of success on this purpose. Building the Family Unit.

If gays want the same legal standings in their relationships as marriage, then they should support some other form of the very same thing, a contract between them and their lover, but not demand that everyone else be forced to call it marriage.

astonerii on January 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I get my marching orders from Meggie Mac.

John the Libertarian on January 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM

She doesn’t sound remotely enthusiastic about this in the video. I wonder what she even bothered for?

Rocks on January 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

So long as close-minded bigots like DeMint hold sway over large portions of the base, it will remain an issue.

Vyce on January 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Either you’re with us, or you’re a Nazi.

You don’t want to be known as a Nazi—do you?

Join ussss…

CO2 Producer on January 31, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Her being Bush’s daughter does nothing to sway my opinion. Her being able to command a larger forum to give her opinion because she is Bush’s daughter adds no value to her argument.

If her message should have more impact because she is simply the daughter of someone, it’s lost on me. It has no more validity then some anonymous youtuber.

= I don’t care.

Dongemaharu on January 31, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Vyce on January 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Yes it’s only the leaders driving this. That’s why Obama wouldn’t come out in favor of it publicly if his life depended on it.

Rocks on January 31, 2011 at 11:05 PM

You’d think that she’d have the money to afford neck straightening surgery. Or is her body language saying that she is leaning left on social issues?

Mallard T. Drake on January 31, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I feel sorry for her. As the daughter of Hitler, she is hated by everyone in her age group and has the self image of a hunchback.

Doing commercials for Her Royal C-ness won’t change that, no matter what the issue is. She will just be staked in front of the tent as an interesting Freak Show act for a season. Sorry, kid. Your name is Barbara Bush. Own it.

Jaibones on January 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM

I get my marching orders from Meggie Mac.

John the Libertarian on January 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM

LOL!..I get mine from Megyn Kelly!..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM

When these rich elitists go through the Ivy League filter, this is what happens.

Christians, the GOP will betray you.

True_King on January 31, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I get mine from Megyn Kelly!..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Ha! I think everyone does!

John the Libertarian on January 31, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Ha! I think everyone does!

John the Libertarian on January 31, 2011 at 11:11 PM

ROFL..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Man, whoever did that sugery is some plastic surgeon. She’s gotta be how old?????

Vince on January 31, 2011 at 11:14 PM

attack of the bimbo’s. Another Meghan McCain clone. DD

I don’t know about that. Barbara actually sounds like she has some sense. MM has that total valley girl routine down to a science.

waddie on January 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Yawn indeed. Lately, every time I read or hear a Bush speak I’m just grateful that they’re gone. From Barbara Bush’s snark comments about Palin, George W.’s worries about “nativism,” and now little Barbara’s newest crusade on behalf of gays.

Yes, I’m really, really tired of this topic. The gays are not going to change their agenda and will keep pushing. I, too, am not going to change my mind and will continue to push back.

astonerii on January 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM

This is about where I stand on the issue.

KickandSwimMom on January 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Vyce on January 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

What the heck are you talking about?

Vince on January 31, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Vyce on January 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

It’s the Bible that holds sway, not DeMint. Thank God America is still faithful to the Good Book.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 31, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Damn, I’d hit that.

SWLiP on January 31, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Ok, who let Tracy Morgan in here?

Doughboy on January 31, 2011 at 11:23 PM

even Dubya wasn’t a passionate opponent of gays:

This is the same type of bullsh*t argument used by the left and MSM (birm) in trying to pin the Tucson shooting on the right.

It’s really too bad that I’m not surprised that AP and HotAir would buy into this “climate of hate” rhetoric when it happens to be used on the context of their little political crusade (gay rights for those late to class).

Perhaps AP and HotAir’s failure to recognize the faulty premise in this case helps to explain why some on the left continue to push the meme that the “climate of hate” led to the Tucson shooting, eh?

besser tot als rot on January 31, 2011 at 11:26 PM

With the death of Jerry Falwell so to died the anti gay Republican. At least one can hope as the boycotts by the right of CPAC and GOProud are not encouraging.

Now if she cuts an ad for plan parenthood then she need to hand in the name Bush to the nearest GOP office and walk away.

Keep the government out ones bedroom and ones wallet. If the goal is to get into ones wallet to get into ones bedroom stop it. The time has passed for that.

tjexcite on January 31, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I love reading HA. I love the different perspectives.

I fall in the hate the sin, not the sinner group. It would be nice if you could get through the idea that the sin is wrong and all one has to do is abstain. One can pray and hope.

Greyledge Gal on January 31, 2011 at 11:29 PM

astonerii on January 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM

This is about where I stand on the issue.

KickandSwimMom on January 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Fat chance of that happening. Gays already have that in California, but want “marriage”. It seems to me that gays aren’t looking for equal rights, but affirmation of their lifestyle. They want society to tell them that it is okay to be gay so they won’t feel guilty about it or something. I think that there are similar aspects to the politics of abortion. I have heard that women who have had abortions want it to remain legal because they feel bad about having an abortion, but the fact that it is legal gives them some solace.

besser tot als rot on January 31, 2011 at 11:29 PM

It’s the Bible that holds sway, not DeMint…
Aslans Girl on January 31, 2011 at 11:23 PM

I agree. I respect DeMint, but to think he holds sway over people’s minds is absurd.

INC on January 31, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Last time I checked…

… homosexuals are allowed to enter into “civil unions” which carry the same legal weight of a “marriage” between a man and a woman.

Why are we still talking about this…

… other than to notice how haaawwwt Barbara is?

Seven Percent Solution on January 31, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Oh, I almost forgot that brother Jeb called those supporting the illegal immigration ruling in Arizona stupid. Maybe those billboards saying “do you miss me now” brought the Bushies out of the shadows.

mobydutch on January 31, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Enough of the “my daddy is famous so you should pay attention to what I say” bs

Raisedbywolves on January 31, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Senorita Barbara Bush es MUY calienete!!

JohnGalt23 on January 31, 2011 at 11:36 PM

As a lesbian trapped in a man’s body I can say, Bab’s is hot!

woodNfish on January 31, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I am so tired of the whole Bush clan.

DFCtomm on January 31, 2011 at 11:44 PM

ITT: The reason Barack Obama will serve two terms.

elcapt on January 31, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Wasn’t Barbara the one that said that healthcare was a right, or was it Jenna?

RedRobin145 on January 31, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Remember the Methodist Pavilion — and beware.

unclesmrgol on January 31, 2011 at 11:46 PM

And I should care what she thinks, why?

RBMN on January 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Seen this a lot posted here.

Why should you care? Did you read Allah’s post?

That is why. I’ve talked before about how social cons have already LOST their “culture war” on a lot of issues, whether they realize it or not. Gay marriage is one of them. It’s a matter of “when” it will become a reality, not “if”.

Vyce on January 31, 2011 at 11:51 PM

I would never vote for a Bush again. I voted for GHW Bush twice and GWB twice but I draw the line at Jeb. Republicans don’t need a dynasty.

Greyledge Gal on January 31, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Greyledge Gal on January 31, 2011 at 11:29 PM

As a Christian, I see the community of believers struggling with homosexuality. Some with whom I evangelize treat it like the “cooties” of sin because they are particularly uncomfortable with the nature of the sin. Sharing God’s word with homosexuals is a challenge, but Pastor John MacArthur demonstrated how to do so effectively on a panel with Andrew Sullivan on Larry King Live in 2006.

Terrie on January 31, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Speaking as one Barbara(Yeah-I’m a Barb)to another:
Shut. Up.
*rolls eyes skyward*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM

OK, we know your cool. Now go away.

Hummer53 on February 1, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Terrie on January 31, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Terrie, I appreciate your response. I was never made so aware of this than at my own wedding. My husband grew up in the antique and furniture business. His parents had a gay couple who were their friends and my husband had known since before he could remember. It was just accepted. My huband didn’t accept “gay” as normal, just this particular couple (one of whom was a descendant of John Jay).

My Dad talked that evening about these nice men he had meant and I made the mistake of saying they were a gay couple. My Dad was so creeped out I thought he might acually faint. I understand what you mean about “gay cooties”. How does it hurt to talk to someone or be around someone who is different? How does that make you any different in your beliefs and feelings? I felt so bad for my new husband at that time. He understood but it was hurtful. He was never approached or hurt by these guys. They were what they were.

Again, hate the sin, not the sinner. Of coure, if the sinner tries to force their way on you, that is different. But most gay people I have known have no interest in that. Unlike militant gays, they just want to be left alone to live their own private lives.

Greyledge Gal on February 1, 2011 at 12:09 AM

My Dad talked that evening about these nice men he had meant . . .

meant = met == sorry for the typo

Greyledge Gal on February 1, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Dear Daughters of Presidents,

Could you please understand that until YOU actually accomplish something in the political sphere on your own…we are completely UNINTERESTED in your prattling, preaching opinions. Thank you.

P.S. Maybe you and Meg and Chelsea could get together and impress each other, because we are notimpressed

Bye

Minorcan Maven on February 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Wasn’t it Barbara’s gay buddy that wrote an unflattering piece on GW after being invited to hang out with the First Family at the WH soon after 9-11-01? If I remember correctly, he snarked about having a POS car that the nice Military aides fixed a window on for him, dope in his pocket, dope in the car, etc…

Gohawgs on February 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Gohawgs on February 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Yeah.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Bush 47!

I’m kidding, seriously kidding the Bush Fam is through in politics right?

And please the “attacking gays” thing is so stereotypical. In our Jersey Shored Culture if you’re agin the radical homosexual agenda you “HATE” gays.

Please this is Progressive amoral crap and one day the goal is to eventually make it illegal to preach traditional values.

PappyD61 on February 1, 2011 at 12:42 AM