Quotes of the day

posted at 10:44 pm on January 31, 2011 by Allahpundit

“The Obama administration pushed back forcefully on Monday afternoon against a Florida judge’s ruling that its signature health care law is invalid, calling the judgment a legally “dubious” reading of the law…

“‘I’m not a lawyer,’ said Axelrod, from a makeshift office in the West Wing. ‘But I will tell you that I think that many lawyers are very dubious about that. The role of the courts is not to look for expansive opportunities to invalidate an act of Congress — it is to rule narrowly as possible and leave intact the intent of the legislation. So I’m sure that will be a matter of intense discussion and debate as this case moves forward in the courts.’”

***
“Today’s ruling – issued by Judge Vinson in the Northern District of Florida – is a plain case of judicial overreaching. The judge’s decision contradicts decades of Supreme Court precedent that support the considered judgment of the democratically elected branches of government that the Act’s ‘individual responsibility’ provision is necessary to prevent billions of dollars of cost-shifting every year by individuals without insurance who cannot pay for the health care they obtain. And the judge declared that the entire law is null and void even though the only provision he found unconstitutional was the ‘individual responsibility; provision. This decision is at odds with decades of established Supreme Court law, which has consistently found that courts have a constitutional obligation to preserve as a much of a statute as can be preserved. As a result, the judge’s decision puts all of the new benefits, cost savings and patient protections that were included in the law at risk…

“We don’t let people wait until after they’ve been in a car accident to apply for auto insurance and get reimbursed, and we don’t want to do that with healthcare. If we’re going to outlaw discrimination based on pre-existing conditions, the only way to keep people from gaming the system and raising costs on everyone else is to ensure that everyone takes responsibility for their own health insurance.”

***
“Senior administration officials vowed implementation of the law would ‘proceed apace.’ The Justice Department is appealing the ruling to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit…

“Asked by a reporter whether the ruling would have any practical impact on implementation of the law at all, a second senior official said ‘no…we don’t see any basis for that judgment.’

“Obama officials predicted states party to the lawsuit would not use the ruling as a basis to resist mandates in the law. ‘I don’t believe any state would take that position,’ said the first senior administration official.”

***
“Personally, I think Vinson is exactly right. The Framers would be aghast at the idea that the federal government has the power to force citizens to do something they don’t want to do. The only two areas where this could happen would be a military draft and jury duty, which arise under different constitutional provisions. As Judge Vinson nicely points out, it would be astounding to think that a people who revolted from Great Britain because they didn’t want to buy tea from a British monopoly would allow a new federal government to force people to buy tea. (Was this, in fact, a veiled reference to the Tea Partiers? I am sure the kooks on the far Left will soon be scanning video of tea party meetings in Florida to see if Judge Vinson has been to any). If the federal government can force people to buy insurance, or cars, or to eat and exercise for better health, there is no stopping point to its powers — the very result that the Framers guarded against by carefully enumerating Congress’s powers in the Constitution.”

***
“The political cost of striking down the legislation has been reduced by the decision of the House to vote for the repeal. It is not that the courts dutifully follow the election returns. It is that they are less constrained in how they think about a case once they do not fear the kinds of political retribution that leave even independent judges quaking in their boots.

“At the same time, the intellectual appeal of the antigovernment case has picked up because the United States has yet to sound a consistent theme in support of the legislation. The challengers keep stressing two simple points. First, if this mandate is allowed, there are no actions that cannot be coerced by state action, no matter how egregious and intrusive in form. Second, the novelty of this case, with its action/inaction decision, has persuaded the courts that the case marks an unprecedented extension of the law in ways that the Framers—indeed even the architects of the New Deal—could not have anticipated…

“This decision is in some sense only a preliminary canter, for everything depends on what the nine Justices will do. But do not put it beyond possibility that the spate of lower court decision gives cover to the Supreme Court if it chooses to knock out the statute. It is one thing to do this when all lower courts have thought the legislation fine. It is quite another to do this when other courts have issued reasoned opinions that help place the Supreme Court in the newly found political mainstream.”

***
“‘There is one person in the United States who will decide on this law, and that’s Anthony Kennedy,’ Seidman said. ‘He’s not going to be unduly influenced by what a district judge in Florida says. All of this is just scrimmaging.’”

***
Via the Daily Caller.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Oh, we were talking about how Obama is an idiot and audi pointed to something about Obama’s “accomplishments” but how somehow George Dubya had a “legacy” and “connections” and Sarah Palin was governor of a more or less worthless state.

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2011 at 1:25 AM

So, same old sh!t? Okay…if that’s all that going on, might as well retire early.

Emily M. on February 1, 2011 at 1:26 AM

I thought he was born in Hawaii.

topdog on February 1, 2011 at 1:24 AM

sadly that like his “smarts” has to be a matter of faith since the press never considered either proper topics to investigate…..

unseen on February 1, 2011 at 1:26 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Ohhhhh, great!!! ANOTHER annoyinglittlecongresscritter

Gohawgs on February 1, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Naw, I don’t go to HLS. I go to a school ranked within a few spots of it. We also have a top b-school, so that’s what I’m basing my opinions off of. I actually prefer studying at the b-school because it’s so much more laid back, presumably because no one has any actual work to do or grades to worry about.

Really? heh

Why do you keep talking about book reports? I seriously have no idea what you’re referring to.

What is your “original research” or “research”? How do you “do it”?

Sorry, but it’s a fact.

crr6 on February 1, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Clearly… I mean, why else would your lazy ass like studying in the b-school?

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2011 at 1:28 AM

*Incoming Republican freshman is nation’s first autistic congresswoman*
Hey-it could happen.
*smiles*

annoyinglittletwerp

anyone who can type, can’t be bought, and has a levelheaded sense of self and sense of humor can’t help but do as well as what’s been roaming though congress the last couple of decades.

audiculous on February 1, 2011 at 1:29 AM

can you read enough good maybe to think that person who is you make assertion of better education without substance and first thing prove not out you’re talking arse
rebuttal after?

audiculous on February 1, 2011 at 1:24 AM

I kanz try my bestest to read really kan! Giv me chance really.
Believe me in!

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2011 at 1:29 AM

well since Obama is not going to release his transcripts tonight so we all can see how stupid he is, I think it is time to call it a night. Have fun

now get back to talking about the time when Obamacare met the death panel…

unseen on February 1, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Ohhhhh, great!!! ANOTHER annoyinglittlecongresscritter…

Gohawgs on February 1, 2011 at 1:27 AM

And don’t call me Ma’am.
I worked HARD for my title!
*wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:30 AM

MeatHeadinCA

must be time for your next meat injection or sumpin.

audiculous on February 1, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Emily M. on February 1, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Part of me wants to try to convince you to stick around and join the fun… but I’m getting bored with them tonight.

Hmmm… think I will join you. But first, I want to see what Global Warming has brought to the ground tonight… Nighty, night, all

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2011 at 1:31 AM

unseen is going to the herd for the night.

toodles.

audiculous on February 1, 2011 at 1:32 AM

must be time for your next meat injection or sumpin.

audiculous on February 1, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I know you want the meat, but remember only veggies for your this month. Time for healing.

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2011 at 1:32 AM

And don’t call me Ma’am.
I worked HARD for my title!
*wink*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Yessir!!! I wouldn’t want to put you in a box…errrrrrrr

Gohawgs on February 1, 2011 at 1:33 AM

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Ugh, thanks for reminding me how cold it is!! Serously, it was so cold today, I wanted to cry in frustration, but I knew the tears would just freeze on my face….!

Okay, enough melodrama. G’night. *hugs*

Emily M. on February 1, 2011 at 1:33 AM

I’m sorry, but an b-school is little more than a glorified networking retreat. Everyone works in “group projects” grades barely matter, and no one really learns anything. It’s pretty much an excuse to screw around for a few years, meet some people, and get a nice resume line.

crr6 on February 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM

This is sad, even for you. Shows your total lack of intelligence, like your master.

Everyone works in “group projects”

In Lee Iaccoca’s book he talked about the ability to be able to work with people. All sorts of people.

As he said, the kiss of death for an employee under his management was a report that said “this guy is good, but not a people person.” As he said “people, is all I got.”

Working on “group projects” helps build a very necessary skill. The ability to work with people.

Obama fails MISERABLY in this key ability. He has ZERO people skills. None.

It’s pretty much an excuse to screw around for a few years, meet some people

I was in the automobile business for 30 years. I’d like to think I was better than most at what I did. As part of my career I went to endless training sessions.

I learned something at every single one, but the real reason for going (besides the fact I had to) was the interaction with others. Not just “networking” but talking about issues, problems. Learning how others handled similar problems.

Learning doesn’t just come from a teacher in a classroom.

In fact, very little I’ve ever learned in a classroom has been of any use to me whatsoever.

What I’ve learned through interaction with others, “group projects” and “networking” was the difference between a long successful career, and asking people if they “want fries with that.”

Something tells me there are a lot of french fries in your future. Make sure you salt them well before you scoop em up.

gary4205 on February 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Yessir!!! I wouldn’t want to put you in a box…errrrrrrr

Gohawgs on February 1, 2011 at 1:33 AM

I have the misfortune of sharing the same first name and birth religion with that twit.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Meat, you’re funny tonight! Trolls are boobs, as usual.

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Really? heh

Yeahhh. Admittedly, the people there are nicer and more social as well. Law school is generally full of ultra-competitive Type A personalities, or at least mine is. It’s as if everyone was raised by Amy Chua.

What is your “original research” or “research”? How do you “do it”?

Depends on what we’re researching. If I’m writing an paper for a class I’ll generally search for related material on Westlaw or Lexis, come up with a thesis and type it up. If I’m writing a brief for a Writing class (which thankfully, I won’t have to do again) I’ll search for authority in support of or against my position, and hone my arguments. Sometimes I’ll look at law review articles too, but they’re generally useless.

crr6 on February 1, 2011 at 1:36 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Yep, and one day you may have your own floating head balloon…

Gohawgs on February 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM

MeatHeadinCA on February 1, 2011 at 1:25 AM

I think its funny that Humanities majors type something into Google, Nexus, Westlaw, or WikiPedia databases and then brag about how they are doing Research.

Within 5 minutes they start wordsmithing their Book Report which is little more than a paraphrase of what others have already written. The rewrite it to evade all detection of plagiarism.

They haven’t a clue what real research is, ya know the kind that Scientists and Engineers engage in.

Geochelone on February 1, 2011 at 1:38 AM

O/T slightly, but Henry Kissinger is on Greta right now.

My GOD, he was 1000 years old when he worked for Nixon, when I was a kid. How is he still around?

gary4205 on February 1, 2011 at 1:38 AM

toodles.

audiculous on February 1, 2011 at 1:32 AM

rofl: enjoy the sweet sound of the herd…..

Tonight, January 31, 2011, only hours away from a media boycott, or blackout of Sarah Palin — pledged and proposed for all mainstream media by Dana Milbank — Sarah Palin’s volunteer internet army, of nearly 30 major online Palin blogs, is organized and ready to fight back. They are going on offense, launching their own full cyber-throated effort to make certain that Dana Milbank FAILS and Sarah Palin OWNS February.

Organized, with their keyboards poised for a “shock and awe” battle against the proposed liberal Palin black-out, social media warriors intend to push stories about Palin every day for the month of February.

Though Milbank started this war, Sarah Palin’s loyal online support groups intend to finish it. Following, transcribed from sources across the web is a list of just a few of the online Sarah Palin, February 2011 social media plans set to “Go Rogue.” All they are waiting for is a few hours for the calendar to turn the page to February.

February proclaimed Reagan/Palin Appreciation Month:

During February, as we celebrate President Reagan’s legacy and Governor Palin’s accomplishments, the Palin-friendly blogs that participate in Reagan/Palin Appreciation Month will be ramping up their coverage of all things Sarah Palin in a show of support for Governor Palin. We are asking all Sarah Palin supporters to sign the Reagan/Palin Appreciation Month Proclamation. Palin-friendly blogs that want to participate in this celebration can request to be added as sponsors of the Proclamation by using the Contact Petition Sponsor button on the petition website after signing the Proclamation.

Organizing for Palin: ( Organize4Palin )

Two weeks ago the Un-Holy alliance between the Lame Stream Media and Team Obama led an all out assault on Sarah Palin, the Tea Party, and you. The majority of regular Americans were gleefully and devilishly called Murderers in a futile attempt to: Stop the Message and destroy the Messenger. We won’t be stopped. We won’t be silenced. We are united, and we are silent no more. This is 2008 all over again. Anyone who thinks the Lame Stream Dinosaur Media is not going to do anything, say anything, pervert anything to get Obama re-elected is either naive or lying. Going into 2012 let’s be on offense…

Launch of “Alaskans4Palin.com” blog site, Jan. 30th, and already making news. The site is hosted by six bloggers, each offering their personal reasons for supporting Sarah Palin, all from Alaska and one of them, Nina Stone, an author of the book, “On the Wings of Love.”

“Alaskans, I am here to tell you that Sarah Palin is the real deal. We live in a difficult time, where information is so readily available and yet it is up to the individual, now more than ever, to be diligent in regard to where they get this information. In a time when media and political collusion can lead to corruption, Sarah stands as a true patriot with a servant’s heart.” Tracey Porreca’s introductory entry

“All Palin February” (announced by conservative blog iOwnTheWorld)

We here at iOTW will have at least one Sarah Palin item a day throughout the entire month of February, but we need your help. So, send in your favorite Palin stories, quotes, pictures, poems, etc., so that we can fight the main stream media bias against former Governor Palin and all conservatives.

Then there were those who couldn’t wait to get started: Sarah in 2012? Posted by David Solway on Jan 27th, 2011 and filed under Daily Mailer, FrontPage. And we’ve already mentioned the Ode to Sarah: Palin is honored with literary contest via Twitter announcement

How does Palin feel about Milbank’s boycott in February? During her recent speech at the Safari Club, (SEE: Palin & 2012: Sarah ‘electrifying’ both evangelical & hunting fishing groups), Sarah shrugged it off saying she was grateful, adding, “Sounds good…because there’s a lot of chaos in Cairo, and I can’t wait to not get blamed for it–at least for a month.”

But then why should Sarah worry? An online army of Palin warriors are ready; they have her back.

——————————————————————————–

unseen on February 1, 2011 at 1:39 AM

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 1:35 AM

I hear the pitter-patter of little pink feet. Someone must be spinning that hamster wheel again. :)

Geochelone on February 1, 2011 at 1:44 AM

gary4205 on February 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM

I think you’re absolutely right that people skills are important in the business world, and that group projects are a good way to develop those skills. And I’m not saying b-school isn’t worthwhile or useful for people who want to go into business. All I’m saying is that 1) it’s not as intellectually challenging as law school; 2) it isn’t as competitive as law school; and 3) It’s easier for well-connected people to get into business school than law school, because admissions aren’t as numbers-based.

crr6 on February 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM

GoHawgs: When I’m a totally important congresswoman who gets to look over my glasses and order you little serfs monsters lemmings people around I want someone to run an ad against me that’s like this one.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM

O/T slightly, but Henry Kissinger is on Greta right now.

gary4205 on February 1, 2011 at 1:38 AM

My parents were HUGE fans of Henry the K and when I was little I had problems saying ‘Kissinger’. I kept saying it Kiss-in-grrr. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 1:48 AM

So the White House’s official position is that Roe v. Wade was wrong, as were decisions expanding the federal government’s authority through the Commerce Clause?

crr6 will be crushed.

malclave on February 1, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Gohawgs on February 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM

How you can hijack a Megyn Kelly thread is beyond me!..:)

PS..Good to see you friend!..:)

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Gohawgs on February 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM

How you can hijack a Megyn Kelly thread is beyond me!..:)

PS..Good to see you friend!..:)

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 1:49 AM

I bet he would like to hijack her threads; whatever threads she happens to be wearing.

Geochelone on February 1, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Well that certainly shows your critical thinking skills are lacking.

That also fits…The Judges opinion was filled with support of that nature when he wrote his opinion, since it is a skill you do not like…it is no wonder why you missed it.

F15Mech on February 1, 2011 at 1:56 AM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 2:10 AM

You’re both grounded.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 2:07 AM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Will Megyn Kelly be giving us our punishment soon. :)

Geochelone on February 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Dude, she’s a month younger than I am …which makes her FORTY.
Beware the middle-aged woman.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 2:14 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 2:14 AM

I am all into the middle age woman..:)

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 2:19 AM

crr6 on February 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Wow talk about arrogance. With you it is outstanding.

One thing about this country is that a simple HS kid could have written a thesis or 2 in his HS days, (you have never replied to objection 1 BTW) with case law and history like the Judge did today. Yet still go on to earn 140k+ a year, with no college debt.

F15Mech on February 1, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Will Megyn Kelly be giving us our punishment soon. :)

Geochelone on February 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

That’s Mistress Kelly to you. Now get on your knees.

John the Libertarian on February 1, 2011 at 2:42 AM

That’s Mistress Kelly to you. Now get on your knees.

John the Libertarian on February 1, 2011 at 2:42 AM

You’re grounded too.
Your punishment will be given to you by Helen Thomas.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Your punishment will be given to you by Helen Thomas.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Be still my heart!

John the Libertarian on February 1, 2011 at 2:50 AM

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Geochelone on February 1, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Yes, tiny pink feet with even tinier translucent little claws making random faint clicking noises as he runs round and round his wheel, scampering feverishly, with a mad glint in his eye….pitter-patter…click, click…the life of a HA hamster….no takers to join him in his smelly wheel….oh, so sad…. :)

tigerlily on February 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM

O/T slightly, but Henry Kissinger is on Greta right now.

gary4205 on February 1, 2011 at 1:38 AM

When I was interviewing for jobs in 1978 upon getting my engineering degree, I ran into Mr. Kissinger in the DFW airport. He was flanked with a LOT of security, having just been the Secretary of State. His entourage was walking in the same direction as I was and I was seriously trying to get past him to catch a plan to get home for my Senior formal dinner dance. They almost made me miss the flight. I don’t think they noticed me trying to figure out how to get around them, since I was walking behind them. Mr. Kissinger’s accent is very pronounced in person.

karenhasfreedom on February 1, 2011 at 3:56 AM

crr6 on February 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM

“I’m sorry”

Agreed!

“but an b-school is little more than a glorified networking retreat.
Everyone works in “group projects” grades barely matter, and no one really learns anything.”

Seems to me they would be learning to work as a team, which is most likely the situation that they will be called upon once in the real world.

BTW, “

Everyone

” “

no one

“? when state an absolute it makes you sound incredibly dumb.

DSchoen on February 1, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Geochelone on February 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Isn’t she with child again?

OmahaConservative on February 1, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Isn’t she with child again?

OmahaConservative on February 1, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Yes!..Great for her!..:)

PS..Good to see you friend!..:)

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 5:02 AM

She was out on maternity leave for a long stretch last time. Good to see you too!
School is closed here. Must’ve got 1/2 an inch of global warming.

OmahaConservative on February 1, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Learning doesn’t just come from a teacher in a classroom.
gary4205 on February 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Good one, but I will state it a different way!

In school you get the lesson first then the test.
In life you get the test first then the lesson.

DSchoen on February 1, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Your punishment will be given to you by Helen Thomas.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Ruh-Oh!

OmahaConservative on February 1, 2011 at 5:06 AM

OmahaConservative on February 1, 2011 at 5:04 AM

..:)

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Ruh-Oh!

OmahaConservative on February 1, 2011 at 5:06 AM

LOL..:)

Dire Straits on February 1, 2011 at 5:09 AM

The punisher.

OmahaConservative on February 1, 2011 at 5:13 AM

why can’t this administration take any ruling they disagree with more dignity…they show no respect at all and expect respect when any ruling goes in their favor…

it’s tiresome…

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 6:21 AM

it’s their own dang fault…something about severability…
apparently the ruling was not read in it’s entirety

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 6:34 AM

judicial activism for me but not for thee?

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 6:36 AM

===========================================

Poor Hopey………GAME OVER!!!!(sarc).

On the brightside,there won’t be a hiring frenzy for more
Federal Union Prison Guard Workers,now that US Citizens don
‘t have to go to jail,or pay for fines,if they didn’t acqui
re HealthCare Insurance!!

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Heres a website,with a hoard of linkys,from various news
organizations!!
================

WORLD NEWS
Judge rules Obama healthcare law unconstitutional

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 6:49 AM

funny, I keep reading articles of those in support of obamacare and they never bring up the word severability…most of their articles are only bashing the judge for throwing out the entire law without explaining why….just bash, bash, bash…

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 6:50 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 6:47 AM

no worries, i’m sure dear leader will come up with an excuse for those new hires :)

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 6:52 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 6:49 AM

great linky

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 6:53 AM

judicial activism for me but not for thee?

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 6:36 AM

cmsinaz:Exactly,which manes me think,of ramming Kagan
through as SCJOTUSA!!:)

Btw,GoodMorning:)

Its Ramping and Amping up in Eygpt,there claiming 1,000,000
people at Tahrir Centre,

heres the Al Jazeera Streaming!:)
======================================

TV NEWS NOW

Al Jazeera English: Live Stream

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 6:54 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Good Morning C :)

SCJOTUS *shudder* don’t give dear leader any ideas….
heh

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 6:55 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 6:47 AM
============

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 6:52 AM

cmsinaz::)Heres NewsMeat,which has News rolling in per
hour,(4,5,6,etc.)

Heres Muslim Brotherhoods website,from Egypt,push is coming
to shove!!
———–

13:48 MB:
No dialogue with VP, or the Egyptian gov’t till the dictator steps down New
=
13:41 MB:
rejects any dialogue with the Military before the departure of the dictator New

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:02 AM

O/T
====

UPDATE 2-Israel’s Netanyahu fears Egypt could go way of Iran
Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:29pm GMT
————————-

* Netanyahu hopes peace treaty with Egypt will survive
* Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood seeks wider role

* Merkel denies leaving Mubarak in lurch

JERUSALEM, Jan 31 (Reuters) – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday he feared Egypt could end up with a radical Islamic regime like in Iran.

Netanyahu’s comments were his sharpest since protests began last week demanding the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak, Israel’s most significant and oldest ally in the Arab world.
===============

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:04 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:02 AM

*shudder*

the MB-wolf in sheep’s clothing?

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:04 AM

israel will hope for the best but need to prepare for the worst….

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 7:10 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:02 AM
*shudder*

the MB-wolf in sheep’s clothing?

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM

cmsinaz:

Ya,this is getting a tad scary,for Middle East Security,
and if Muslim Brotherhood gets in,what happenes to the
peace agreement.Call me crazy,but,with the magnifying glass
so to speak,of Wiki-Leaks,exposing Egypts willingness to give Israel its Air-Space,and all of a sudden,somebody wants
Egypt to fall.

From,(ugh) NYTimes!!
===================

Obama Cautions Embattled Ally Against ViolenceBy MARK LANDLER
Published: January 28, 2011
——————————–

In each case, the overriding concern is that the same people who are clamoring for change could choose leaders who are hostile to the United States, or are even extremists.

Still, standing by Mr. Mubarak for fear of what could come after him could lead to “resentment towards the United States that could last another three decades, like Iran,” said Martin S. Indyk, a Middle East peace negotiator in the Clinton administration. Laying out the American dilemma, Mr. Indyk said, “If we don’t back Mubarak and the regime falls, and the Muslim Brotherhood takes control of Egypt and breaks the peace treaty with Israel, then it could have dramatic negative ramifications for American interests in the Middle East.”
==================

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:19 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:04 AM
=====================================
israel will hope for the best but need to prepare for the worst….

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 7:10 AM

cmsinaz:Good point,I do wonder,if they have war gamed,this
nightmarish scenario!:)

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:29 AM

A new record!!!! It only took Hannity 16 seconds to start counting on his fingers!

50sGuy on February 1, 2011 at 7:36 AM

O/T
======

Deja Vu Baby!
————-

EDITORIAL: Obama Channeling Jimmy Carter
Egypt is Barack’s Iran moment

Sun. Jan.30.2011
******************************

As Egypt’s regime totters on the verge of collapse, President Obama is looking less like Ronald Reagan and more like the Gipper’s predecessor, Jimmy Carter. The turmoil in Egypt is markedly similar to the revolution that gripped Iran 33 years ago. Egypt may be to Mr. Obama what Iran was to Mr. Carter.

President Carter’s emphasis on human rights in foreign policy set the stage for the 1979 revolt in Iran. Like Mr. Obama, Mr. Carter adopted a tone of moral superiority to the policies that had preceded him. When small-scale demonstrations began to break out in Iran in the fall of 1977, the State Department simply chastised the Shah’s government, which had been a firm U.S. ally, to get ahead of reform or get out of the way. This emboldened the oppositionists, a mix of liberal reformers and radical followers of the exiled Ayatollah Khomeini, who kept up the pressure.
==============

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Second, and most importantly, Judge Vinson held that Obamacare’s provisions are so interrelated that he had to strike down the whole system, even though it was only the individual mandate that was unconstitutional. This is the question of “severability.” It requires courts to figure out whether Congress would have wanted the rest of the statute to continue in effect, even if one piece of it is unconstitutional. This is an arcane area of separation of powers law. Vinson’s conclusion essentially took the Obama Justice Department up on a threat. DOJ seems to have argued that the individual mandate is a central part of Obamacare, and cannot be separated easily from it — essentially, they are banking on the idea that no judge will strike down the whole statute. Well, DOJ lost on that bet, and in so doing, have upped the ante even higher now on the constitutional challenge to Obamacare, much to what may be their regret.

Looks like Holder went all in on a two pair. Vinson however picked up quads.

Chaz706 on February 1, 2011 at 7:42 AM

uhh… what considered judgment? I seem to remember they didn’t consider it at all. They just passed it to see what was in it.

pappy on February 1, 2011 at 7:52 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:19 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:29 AM

we are at a wait and see at this point…

*sigh*

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 8:04 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:42 AM

ouch

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Who is Florida Judge Roger Vinson?
**********************************

Vinson is a senior judge in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Florida. The Pensacola judge was

appointed to the federal bench by President Ronald Reagan in 1983.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/48535.html#ixzz1CiCYusNz
===================================

I wonder how Team Hopey/Changey,is gonna spin
this one,

re,Hopey is/as/was/might be…. Reagan!!

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 8:05 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 8:13 AM

cmsinaz:For sure,Reagan torpedoes Hopeys Healthcare,well at
least in Florida!:)

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 8:13 AM

yeah baby :)

cmsinaz on February 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Not severable. Not constitutional. Yeehaw!

kingsjester on February 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Don’t you just love liberals screaming about “judicial activism?”

They don’t even have a clue what it means.

Not that it’s surprising. They use terms for the emotional content, not for the actual meaning. “Judicial activism” is any ruling they don’t like.

There Goes The Neighborhood on February 1, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Now, he decides that. When things were in their favor it was okay for the courts to take a ‘role’. What a bunch of super phonies inhabit the WH right now. In many ways, Axelrod annoys me more than Obama–and that’s saying a lot, since I regard Obama as the worst President(including Carter and Nixon)that I have encountered in my — years.

jeanie on February 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM

canopfor on February 1, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Obama would love this to happen… As I have said before… He believes that it is his destiny to rule over the collapse of the west and the rise of the caliphate.
There would be no greater pleasure for the usurper-in-chief than to use the brainwashed US libs/MSM to buy him the time to undermine our global interests to the point of no return… And no matter what happens… they will try to blame the past (mostly Bush) and excuse Barry’s missteps.
He believes that this will ensure him a place in the muslim history books… A far greater honoring of his father than being the president.

RalphyBoy on February 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

gary4205 on February 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Just to be contrarian…as an engineering ‘expert’, being on a team isn’t always useful because competing ideas can get in the way of getting a project done.

For Mr. Ioccocha (sp?), I’d say anyone on his immediate staff would necessarily have to be a ‘people person’, but if he starts firing engineers that are sometimes a bit maladjusted socially, then he’s a moron. Yes, I said he’s a moron. People are different, people have different skill sets, and people can have expertise that has nothing to do with people. Depending on everyone to be a ‘people person’ is moronic and short sighted beyond measure. Imagine if NASA in the 1960-70s had been of the same mind…

Being the maladjusted person that I am, I see the upper echelons of the company I work for as being non-productive for the most part. Car companies are producing a product and from my limited perspective the businessmen have little to contribute to the production of that good, beyond managing personnel, building efficiency, negotiating for components, and handling sales. I have to go to management classes pretty often, and I usually consider it to be a waste of my time. I don’t really care about the people I meet there, and I don’t really care about improving my people skills. What I do, I excel at and I’m paid well for that expertise. Just because companies have this weird affliction where they think they need to continually move all successful employees further up the corporate ladder doesn’t make it ‘smart’.

I’ll stop grousing now.

Geministorm on February 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Yet still go on to earn 140k+ a year, with no college debt.

F15Mech on February 1, 2011 at 2:33 AM

160k, actually. Plus a bonus.

crr6 on February 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Dire, just wanted to let you know, I’ll be out for possibly the next 16 days. I’m gonna try and post at least QOTD. If I can. They have me on the road. I used to dig it, I’ve turned into quite the home body the last few years. They don’t like it. I don’t care. : ) Anyway, I just thought I’d give you a heads up so you didn’t think I had been banned or something. Keep em honest while I’m out. ; )

Bmore on April 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Oh and Dire. Let me know you saw this message. ; )

Bmore on April 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM