Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on January 30, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Time to round up all your great friends and vote for the Obamateurism of the Week!  But get started early so you can see which choice is winning the future award, and which one will just win pat-downs.  Just remember that one of the prerequisites of being a great voter or chief of anything is to make sure you get the names straight.

Previous 2011 “winners”:

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me atobamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

Yikes, too many good choices. I think I am going with WTF since he seems to like it so much that he’s sticking with it.

Cindy Munford on January 30, 2011 at 9:06 AM

i’m sorry, but confusing two sites where our brave men & women are dying is inexcusable.

kelley in virginia on January 30, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Had to go with the last choice, as Obama is the CIC after all. The WTF moment is telling, that’s for sure.

Keemo on January 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Wrecking The Future

redridinghood on January 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Since the MSM is virtually ignoring Obama’s appropriation of Gingrich’s book title for himself, I voted for his “joke” about airport gropes. I visit a number of websites for frequent travelers and there is a lot of outrage across the political spectrum about his comments. That makes it a fitting Obamateurism.

Both my wife and I have each already undergone them in January and they’re not funny, particularly when the person making the “joke” (and in charge of it all) is exempt from them.

Drained Brain on January 30, 2011 at 9:13 AM

If there were ever three simple letters that sum up the Obama Adminstration to an absolute T, it would be WTF!
And I don’t mean Winning The Future!

pilamaye on January 30, 2011 at 9:15 AM

What The Phuck.

moonbatkiller on January 30, 2011 at 9:17 AM

I’m torn between WTF and CinC but, I also kinda like the fact that Obama appears to know he is not qualified to be the president when he blurts out that he’d be a “good” chief of staff.

Fallon on January 30, 2011 at 9:17 AM

“For some trips, it will be faster than flying –- without the pat-down.”

Nothing wrong voting with and choosing egregiousness of his differing errors, but this line clearly shows that he is a real believer in himself – just like his supporters claim – that he is correct and absolute, no matter what. No need to think beyond his lips.

ericdijon on January 30, 2011 at 9:18 AM

The chief of staff quip really cracked me up. Those folks work, Barry! You’d hate it. It’s, like, actual work. You’ve never done that. In fact, you’ve managed to avoid it for your entire life. There’s a lot less golf in chief of staff land. Haven’t you been paying attention?

Case in point: I caught on the news last night that while his entire White House staff was meeting to talk about Egypt — kind of a big deal, yes? — Barry was absent, “spending time with his family” (which I do NOT believe for one minute). The guy just cannot stand actually putting in the hours. He’s sooooooo lazy. Like a hound dog in the hot sun.

Rational Thought on January 30, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Winning The Future. You would think those PR geniuses would have checked first.

kingsjester on January 30, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Wimpy The Fraud

50sGuy on January 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I went with chief of staff…

arrogant little son of a gun

cmsinaz on January 30, 2011 at 9:29 AM

WTF … although picking one is getting increasingly harder.

darwin on January 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM

@Kemo, Pilamaye, and Redridinghood: you got that right. It’s really all WTF…

chai on January 30, 2011 at 9:32 AM

hope you are having awesome weather in SD there Ed….

cmsinaz on January 30, 2011 at 9:32 AM

from the headlines above it appears we will be seeing WTF for the next 2 years….

yeah

cmsinaz on January 30, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I like the ‘pat down’ because it is really so stupid – if we all start taking the high-speed light-rail train, the TSA will take over train stations!

LMAO!!!

ladyingray on January 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I went with the Afghanistan/Iraq thing…isn’t that something that only a twit like Sarah Palin’s supposed to do according to the Commies?

Maybe he was briefed by Joe Biden.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM

tingles would have had a field day with that….

cmsinaz on January 30, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Wrecking The Future
redridinghood on January 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM

A+. Close the thread.

Basilsbest on January 30, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Leave it to this President to make WTF an acceptable addition to political discourse in America.

PappyD61 on January 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM

WTF. It isn’t just exasperation, it’s a slogan!

pugwriter on January 30, 2011 at 9:51 AM

So this is what “fundamental transformation” feels like.

pugwriter on January 30, 2011 at 9:53 AM

And honorable mention for the CNNism of The Day goes to:

President Barack Obama experienced a rare speaking stumble Thursday…

Somebody should forward OOTW to CNN’s Ace Reporter Tom Cohen, who wrote that piece.

Drained Brain on January 30, 2011 at 9:55 AM

What The Frill?

Philly on January 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM

You guys are picking the wrong one. I don’t care who came up with the stupid “Winning the Future” slogan.

The man said he would make a good chief of staff!!! Not only is it so narcissistic I can’t stand it, I don’t see one shred of evidence that he would be good at it any way.

sammypants on January 30, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Winning the Future

Progressives are for redistribution.

Even with slogans.

Disturb the Universe on January 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I don’t expect it to win this week, but to be president of the U.S. now with our debt problems and high unemployment and to waste time in a SOTU talking about spending more money on a high-speed train is just about as stupid an idea as you can get.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 30, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Obama would make a great Chief of Staff—for Rahm Emanuel.

Rovin on January 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Winning The Future… WTF! …by STP- Stealing The Past.

I guess Barry is just trying to keep up with his Plagiarist Veep.

And what a future we’re winning: TRC- The Restored Caliphate.

Allahu Clarkbar!

profitsbeard on January 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM

“You know, I’d make a good chief of staff.”

He’s already the chief staff.

darwin-t on January 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM

WTF FTW!

steebo77 on January 30, 2011 at 10:39 AM

This is off topic, but I find it laughable that after 50 years of trying and succeeding to grow government and take away our freedoms, liberals like Clinton are headed to Egypt to “push for democracy.”

Mr_Magoo on January 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM

WTF FTW!

steebo77 on January 30, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Palindromes are VERY hard to come by. Good job. :)

Etymology of Palindrome:
from palin “again, back” (from PIE base *kwel- “move round,” with notion of “revolving; see cycle) + dromos “a running.”

Palin moved around his message and got him back again.

Paul-Cincy on January 30, 2011 at 10:50 AM

ODumbAss’s WTF Speech isn’t on the list? That would get my vote.

dogsoldier on January 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Great choices. Had to go with WTF moment just because he set himself up.

MrX on January 30, 2011 at 11:09 AM

For someone who’s so addicted to his Blackberry, WTF is up with Dear Liar not knowing about the acronym. Or if not Him, how about someone in the administration?

rbj on January 30, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I went with the “chief of staff” comment. The others are either verbal gaffes or staff screw-ups, but they don’t go to the soul of Obama’s narcissistic hubris like that line did.

jon1979 on January 30, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I couldn’t argue with anyone that they made the wrong choice, but yes I went with the plagiarized SOTU – as someone else pointed out, the hypocrisy of the media overlooking not only the plagiarized title but the many steals from other SOTU speeches (I know, I know – BO was so busy working on jobs that he had no time to work on his SOTU) mean that we will now hear this WTF over and over.

katablog.com on January 30, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Obama bogarts Newt Gingrich’s book title for his “Winning the Future” SOTU speech

Wasn’t Obama’s Hope & Change ‘borrowed’?

Quotes from his DNC nomination sounded like lines from the movie The American President?

In a 2008 speech, Hillary accused Obama of plagiarism, using Devil Patrick’s 2006 speech.

Barack Obama created the Official Office of the President-Elect, held a fake SOTU (joint address to congress), days after taking office, held staged townhalls, & created or saved jobs. Faking it is the one thing Obama is good at doing.

TN Mom on January 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Weak lot this week.

I went with the pat-downs since, when I first read that, my thought was “yeah, derailing a train at 150MPH is wouldn’t kill anyone, so no need to pat down people.”

This guy is a credentialed fool.

Or so he says he’s got credentials.

Man, I hate this f’ing guy.

RedNewEnglander on January 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Wasn’t Obama’s Hope & Change ‘borrowed’?

TN Mom on January 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM

The title of his second book, “The Audacity of Hope”, was lifted directly from Rev. Wright.

Paul-Cincy on January 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM

W impy
T he
F raud

Schadenfreude on January 30, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I thought his confusing Iraq and Afghanistan was so telling.
He couldn’t care less about either place. They’re on automatic pilot, killing and maiming our men who are forced to follow treasonous Rules of Engagement and draining billions that the Chinese will soon collect, one way or the other.

So, it fits the obasoros template: If it helps bring the U.S. down, it’s all good. Next.

tigerlily on January 30, 2011 at 2:46 PM

btw, has anyone seen Norwegian, sharrukin, neurosculptor lately?

tigerlily on January 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM

WTF

OmahaConservative on January 30, 2011 at 2:56 PM

For the man who could put an end to the human-rights violations which are the TSA’s current policy, to joke about a new money-sucking proposal being a way to avoid said violations, is far more than amateurish. It’s shameless, ignorant, and elitist all at the same time.

Freelancer on January 30, 2011 at 3:56 PM

WTF! WPE!

Mirimichi on January 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM

btw, has anyone seen Norwegian, sharrukin, neurosculptor lately?

tigerlily on January 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM

No, I wonder what is up with them.

Mirimichi on January 30, 2011 at 4:12 PM

That was easy..WTF!

tbear44 on January 30, 2011 at 5:05 PM

And I don’t mean Winning The Future!
pilamaye on January 30, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Considering Obama obsession with things he does not understand, like thew military, perhaps he needs another category for Obamateurism of the Week.

How bout YGBSM, Yankee Golf Tango Bravo Sierra Mike
or
You Gotta Be $hittin’ Me

DSchoen on January 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM

LMAO!!!

ladyingray on January 30, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I got the “full monty” at a Greyhound station in Knoxville last week. TSA, DHS, State Trooper, Sheriff, and local Police had the place locked down.

Welcome to the USSR, you don’t know how lucky you are, back in the USSR…

Who is John Galt on January 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM