Hey, this would be a great time to grab some guns

posted at 3:45 pm on January 28, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

Never let a good crisis go to waste. I’ve lost track of the number of articles I’ve written at Hot Air warning against the loss of gun rights following rampages by maniacs, but this seems to be pretty much right on schedule.

A top House Republican rejected calls by Democrats for hearings on gun safety in the wake of the Jan. 8 shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), suggesting that such hearings could interfere with the prosecution of the alleged gunman, Jared Loughner.

Rep. John Conyers (Mich.), top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, and 15 other Democrats on the panel sent a letter to Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) on Friday seeking hearings on several gun-safety issues related to the Tucson shooting.

This comes under the same banner we’ve seen before. “We don’t want to take away your guns! Perish the thought! We just want some sensible restrictions.” It will take the form of reduced magazine size. Or perhaps one of any other number of cookies in the basket we’ve seen following every tragic incident like this.

The lyrics may change, but the tune stays the same. The new Congress is far from perfect, but in this case let’s give a tip of our hat to Lamar Smith for not falling in line with a media surge and being pushed into drastic action for short term political gain. If nothing else, Congress should take a clue from the fact that gun sales among law abiding citizens who legally purchase and register their weapons tend to rise after such an incident. They’re not worried about the criminals… they’re worried about Congress.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Isn’t this corruptocrat reprobate’s wife in prison?

Inanemergencydial on January 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Guns don’t kill people, crosshairs do.

nico on January 28, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Cannot resist a gun thread!

“1.6 million mentally disqualified gun owners slipped through the NICS checks.” So where are the other 1,599,999 massacrees?

BHO excels at selling guns and ammo. Bought more of both than the last thirty years.

Buying a suitable gun is an individual choice. Cultivate friends. Rent at ranges. Read gun threads on gun sites. About six months for a fair education then buy. Much faster with application. The basics: more ammo, bigger is better up to a point. Your job: find that point.

The school cop shooting in CA appears much less menacing. Indeed, perhaps an “inside job.” The “victim” is charged with filing a false police report. Developments continue.

Caststeel on January 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM

mizflame98 on January 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM

There are alternatives to a standard configuration.

And then there’s this. Be warned about this one, the demand is currently out-stripping production capacity.

CPT. Charles on January 28, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Boy, Ed leaves for the day and Hot Air commentariat takes a vacation day? Almost 2 1/2 hours, and only 102 comments on a gun thread?

JamesLee on January 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM

BTW–Here’s the associated YouTube link with nifty secondary links (mostly about the Judge…).

CPT. Charles on January 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Who….this John Conyers???????

TrickyDick on January 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM

CPT. Charles on January 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I bought the Rossi (Taurus) Circuit Judge. The judge with an 18″ barrel and a full stock.

mad scientist on January 28, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Serious question here, what do you experienced folks recommend as a first purchase for someone who has never owned a gun and only used a hand gun and long gun (not sure if it was a rifle or shotgun) a couple of times target shooting in the AZ desert? I couldn’t hit the cans, either, was never sure if I was shooting to the left, right, up, or below the target!! :) I live in a smaller city condo now in the Midwest. I think I prefer something with a clip, I think I would be too nervous to load a revolver in an emergency.

karenhasfreedom on January 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Might consider my all time favorite carry conceal gun: the Ruger SP101. It’s a .357 magnum, but with it you get two guns in one because it will also shoot the .38 special.

The .38 is like plinking but the .357 has a bit of a whollup to it as far as kick goes.

No need to load it in case of and emergency. Just keep it loaded and by your bed at all times.

And then, if all else fails, you can beat someone to death with the thing.

BowHuntingTexas on January 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM

mad scientist on January 28, 2011 at 7:41 PM

So how does she shoot?

PS-What did you think of the links I put up?

CPT. Charles on January 28, 2011 at 8:12 PM

SO….since John Conyers wife was sent to prison for bribery, should we ban money? Or just ban it from Michigan? Or maybe just ban it from the Conyers’ possesion?

Robert17 on January 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I need to renew my permit next week…

ladyingray on January 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Is it a concealed carry?

mizflame98 on January 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

True enough.

Gonna be another great year for gun dealers (I’m in the wrong business).

Tim_CA on January 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM

If I have my facts right, wouldn’t Loughner been prevented from owning a gun is supercop out there had arrested him just once of the several times police came into contact with him? Doesn’t that show the current laws work and the police have to get better?

Zaggs on January 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Zaggs on January 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Of course, that’s the uninvestigated story. He also could have arrested him on one or more of the death threat he had made against Tucson residents, some of which may have been felonies. It is possible that he didn’t because Loughner’s mother worked for the same county he did. Again, the media has no interest in that angle of the story.

slickwillie2001 on January 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

From the latest Brownell’s newsletter e-mail

The World’s Largest Army

I bet you didn’t know this. . .

In WWII, Japan’s highest-ranking naval officer was Isoruku Yamamoto. Although he was Japanese, and his loyalties were unquestionably with The Empire, he studied for many years in America, graduating from Harvard University. There is an oft-repeated (and sometimes disputed) quote attributed to him regarding the possibility of any nation taking a war to American soil:

“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.”

Here is why he was correct:

America’s Hunters. The World’s Largest Army.
The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed. That’s great, considering there were over 600,000 hunters that got permits this year.
Allow me to restate that number: 600,000
Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world – more men under arms than Iran; more than France and Germany combined – deployed to the woods of a single American state to keep the deer population under control.

But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week. Michigan’s 700,000 hunters have now returned home. Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia, and it is literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

And that is just FOUR states.

Caststeel on January 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Caststeel on January 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Hmmm. Never really thought of it that way. I can definitely imagine some serious, concentrated sniping going on if someone every tried to invade us. A lot more sniping would be going on than what the invader would have expected.

And that would mainly be in the suburbs and the countryside. Inner city folks that are disarmed are at the mercy of the invader and gangs.

BowHuntingTexas on January 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Caststeel on January 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Now, lets add in the amount of gun owners who don’t hunt. The amount of responsible gun owners in American must be mind boggling.

mizflame98 on January 28, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Caststeel on January 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Now that is a stat worth forwarding along.

roy_batty on January 28, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Caststeel on January 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM

The main reason it’s disputed is because no one has ever demonstrated that he said it. Most of the attributions trace it to a post-war conference in 1960 – Yamamoto had been dead for 15 years.

I tried to track it down at one point only to find that no one had a single contemporaneous source. It was all apocryphal.

Most of the Hitler quotes are fakes, too.

Sorry to see Brownell’s publishing without checking.

Merovign on January 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM

There is no “debate” anymore, the left demands, we fight against their demands, 24/7. They never quit, they never take no for an answer, they lie, cheat, and steal.

They love to tell the same lies over and over again, hoping to catch us at a moment when we’re weak to they can push a step forward, then they keep pushing. We win in an election, they go to the courts. We win in the courts, they go back to the election. Heck, they even lie about what words mean to try to “win.”

Heck, the UN is trying to get guns confiscated in Switzerland of all places. THEY NEVER QUIT.

And so we can’t either. No matter how tired.

Merovign on January 29, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Merovign on January 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Nice to have you on my side?

The point of the excerpt is that there are 2.3M hunters in just four of the 57 states. 2.3M amounts to the largest army in the world. These are private individuals pursuing a recreation. People that have outfitted and trained themselves. And then paid for deer tags. For the privilege of going out in winter with only a pretty good chance of getting some meat.

Don’t care if Yamamoto said that or not. The fact is 2.3M armed hunters from just four states is the largest army in the world. And they are self motivating.

Non Sequiter is the polite phrase.

Caststeel on January 29, 2011 at 1:45 AM

The last point says it all……criminals dont scare us….Congress and Barry Soetoro Do! Do!

Rick554 on January 29, 2011 at 6:39 AM

Hope Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) responded with two words directed straight at Conyers: POUND SAND!

pilamaye on January 29, 2011 at 7:43 AM

I love to hit Progressives lately(not literally, just on garbage like Huff-n-PuffPost)with this: “The cities in the U.S. that have the strictest gun control laws are the cities with the most gun violence and murder.” The answer back is usually……..CRICKETS………..

adamsmith on January 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM

My main carry/home defense pistol is a Sig P239 in 9mm. It is what is called a single stack, with a magazine capacity of 8 rounds. Then with one in the chamber and a full magazine, I have 9 rounds of self/home defense ammo. But of course, I have more than one magazine, a lot more…

Dandapani on January 29, 2011 at 9:09 AM

CPT. Charles on January 28, 2011 at 8:12 PM

The gun is pretty accurate with 45 cal slugs but is ammunition-dependent for accuracy at 25 yards or greater. I’m going to the Hornady LeverRevolution exclusively.
I’m not as demanding with shot as I intend this to be home defense and/or a “truck gun”. I have the 000 buck rounds and the PDX ammo as well as #4 for all-around snake and small critter issues. One thing I really like is that there are speed loaders for this weapon; I can keep it cased and unloaded but still put it in use quickly if need arises.
The Dupo slugs look very interesting; I was unable to open any other links, will try adjusting settings.
Thanks again.

mad scientist on January 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Caststeel on January 29, 2011 at 1:45 AM

My brother is a hunter with his own land to hunt on; he’s also a plumber. In Alabama there are businesses that process deer carcasses to package into steaks, chops, and sausage. Sometimes they need plumbing work done and it’s legal for him to “take it out in trade”. He didn’t shoot any deer last year but he has a freezer full of deer meat.

Ah, an iron skillet full of spicy deer sausage, onion, and Napa cabbage is hard to beat. Cornbread on the side of course.

mad scientist on January 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Caststeel on January 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Y’all come on down to Texas, most of the deer hunting is long shots. The most popular rifle calibers have the flattest trajectories in the 300-400 yard range.
I kid, but this subject is exceedingly grim.

mad scientist on January 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM

This reminds me of a conversation I had with an Australian while vacationing in Sydney last year:

Aussie: “Yeah, we have this notion out here that every single American is armed to the teeth.”
Me: “Nah, that’s not true at all.”
Aussie: “Do you have a gun?”
Me: “Well…yeah! A Remington 870. Best no-brainer weapon you can have for home protection! But no handguns…”
Aussie: *laughs*

TheMightyMonarch on January 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM

mad scientist on January 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM

There are large herds of muleys & whitetails that live in my ‘yard’ here in ND.
Pheasants also abound.
Our black bovines share this wonderful habitat.
I won’t be going hungry anytime soon.
Mmmmmm….MEAT.

Badger40 on January 29, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I kid, but this subject is exceedingly grim.

mad scientist on January 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM

How’s that feral hog population doing in Texas? I’ve read that there’s no license required and no limit. Is that true or BS?

SKYFOX on January 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Nice to have you on my side?

Caststeel on January 29, 2011 at 1:45 AM

I have been a 2A activist for 17 years, I’ve participated in numerous efforts ranging from backing, publicizing and collecting signatures for proposed laws and recall efforts to supporting court cases and a half-dozen organizations devoted to the subject.

One of the biggest problems I have in getting people who are on the fence off the fence and into the right yard, which is awfully hard to do when people on “my side” don’t care about the facts. People are looking for excuses to stay on the fence.

I always thought one of the main differences between us and them was that we had the facts on our side and they had to lie about it. Was I wrong?

And what’s the polite phrase for someone who doesn’t care if what they’re saying is true?

I’m just trying to help you out here, man. You don’t get your mind right, you lose. And if you lose, we lose.

Merovign on January 29, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Caststeel on January 28, 2011 at 10:12 PM

That’s a very interesting take.
I know in ND a lot of us get deer licenses.
We are all mostly armed to the teeth here, too.
I would imagine SD & MT & WY are the same, having lived in WY & visited the other 2 often, I would say anyone attempting to take us all down would be like Red Dawn Redux.

Badger40 on January 29, 2011 at 3:16 PM

SKYFOX on January 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Your question intrigued me so I looked it up.
Requirements:
- Must possess a valid hunting license.
- Hunt during normal dawn to dusk hours.
- No shooting near homes or public roads.
- Hunt on private land with the permission of the owner.
Otherwise no season or bag limits.
My friends and co-workers who kill hogs do so on their own land.

mad scientist on January 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Badger40 on January 29, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Sounds like you got yourself a little piece of heaven right there.
Some of us have to live in town.

mad scientist on January 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

They’re not worried about the criminals… they’re worried about Congress.

So there’s a difference? I kid… kinda.

One Angry Christian on January 30, 2011 at 6:26 PM