“Big Oil” Can’t Win for Losing UPDATE: Who is organizing this?

posted at 11:10 am on January 28, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

It’s no secret that the large energy industry players, more commonly known as “Big Oil” to their detractors, are a source of limitless evil in progressive lore. In fact it’s become something of a rite of passage for student and young, energized activists to protest these evil corporations. Chief among the many sins of America’s energy producers is the “fact” that they are only interested in developing oil, coal and other “dirty” fuels while trying to kill off any “green energy” initiatives such as solar and wind.

It should come as no surprise then that some of these companies continue to invest in every type of available energy and get that information out to the public. In one recent case, Chevron established a program to install large scale solar panels to provide renewable energy to several schools in California. The students, clearly pleased with such a victory for clean energy efforts, responded as you would expect. They took to the streets to protest Chevron.

Students at Dwyer Middle School are making it clear they want a say in the $8 million project to put solar panels on the front lawn of their school.

More than 100 students hit the pavement Wednesday morning outside the historic middle school to protest the installation of the Chevron Energy Solutions solar array project slated for five Huntington Beach City District schools.

The protest, at least according to some of the students, was ostensibly over the location of the solar panels. The space is sometimes used for outdoor class activities, so perhaps it’s a valid issue. Or it would be if not for the fact that the school board, not Chevron, approved the location in January.

The question of precisely what the students were protesting becomes a bit more cloudy if you take a look at the signs being carried by the children.
Dwyer Protest Sign
Protect Dwyer from Chevron “Greed?” Has someone given these kids the impression that Chevron is getting rich off of putting up solar panels for schools? Plus, the schools themselves estimate that the installation will result in a savings of $1.9M in energy costs for the cash strapped district.

It’s great to see our youth taking an interest in their community and getting involved. But the parents and teachers have a responsibility to make sure that they are at least well informed enough to understand what it is that they’re talking about.

UPDATE: In the comments, reader DJ Rick did some sleuthing and came up with the following item from the source article.

Parent Annelle Wiederkehr, who has overseen the students’ efforts, said she has been impressed with the amount of work the children have put in and wants them to have their time to speak out.

And who is Annelle? Assuming it’s the same person, (and it’s a fairly unusual name to pop up twice in the same district) she may have some “other interests” politically.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Awww, why does Annelle Wiederkehr hate solar panels? America?

moonsbreath on January 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Fixed it for ya. :)

drdroo on January 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Of course, maybe she just hates the children too..

drdroo on January 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

8 million dollars to install solar panels?

darwin on January 28, 2011 at 1:47 PM

The school board in July approved paying $7,875,000 not just for the solar projects but also for lighting replacement at all schools, heating and air-conditioning upgrades at two schools, and enclosing a wall at one school.

My guess is that all of these are green energy upgrades.

unclesmrgol on January 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

labor. Not everything is free. Ever think of that?

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I’m not sure why you believe what you believe, but link to something that supports your belief.

The third comment on this post mistakenly states that Chevron is spending $8 million, when the reality is that the school district signed a contract to PAY Chevron $8 million for this project.

A handful of people decided to take that mistake and repeat it. Again and again.

It’s okay to be mistaken. There is no reason to continue supporting a false idea. You linked to an article that did not back up your assertion and now you just come with something out of thin air about labor costs are donated.

Chevron is doing this to make money. That’s what that division exists for. To make money. And there is NOTHING wrong with them making money.

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I would not have Annelle sex with that woman. With her being an Obama/ Soros Democrat, she’s probably chock-full of STD’s.

CatchAll on January 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

You don’t have to believe me. They donate solar panels to use as a write off. They do not have to provide labor to install them.

And I work in the oil and industry, and this is how it works.

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM

The OFA Annelle’s address is in Corona. While that’s in Southern California, it’s not in Huntington Beach. There’s another, different, address for Annelle in Huntington Beach.

I suspect it’s the same person, but she’s moved to better digs.

unclesmrgol on January 28, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I’m still trying to figure out where the protests toward the School Department are.

Chevron’s just implementing the proposal that the School Department approved.

drdroo on January 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM

And I work in the oil and industry, and this is how it works.

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I pumped gas at a Texaco one summer as a teenager, so I could say I worked in the oil industry as well. Big deal.

The reported facts on this project don’t agree with your statements.

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

My guess is that all of these are green energy upgrades.

unclesmrgol on January 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

quality education by the mercury light bulb.

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

she may have some “other interests” politically.

I’m shocked – shocked!

Dopenstrange on January 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM

The reported facts on this project don’t agree with your statements.

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

How about this. I do actually WORK in the oil and gas industry. Pumping gas? No honey, I work in exploration to get your dumb a$$ the oil you so want for the POS you own.

I have never lied about where I work… thanks for playing though.

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM

However, Chevron is pretty close to shutting down & dismantlement of its El Segundo (next to LAX) refinery. Friends of mine performed to study to do this just last year. The company has tired of all the nuisance complaints and lawsuits.

Kermit on January 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM

They should go. Lots of states would be happy to have them. LA County can turn the site into a beach-side town for all of our illegal aliens.

LASue on January 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Huh, I thought that you were some sort of wilderness guide – bear hunter/ skinner.
Maybe that’s just a hobby.
Kind cool I guess, but now my image of you as a Nordic goddess type woman walking about slapping bears into line and skinning the recalcitrant ones is gone.
Gonna have to stop at the liquor store on the way home, another dream has died under the cruel knife of reality.

LincolntheHun on January 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM

The reported facts on this project don’t agree with your statements.

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Consistently the pompous b.

CWforFreedom on January 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Gentlemen, set your truncheons to puree.

And make sure Ms. Wiederkehr is first in line.

JohnGalt23 on January 28, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Here’s some prime source material:

Scroll to the page titled “Dwyer M.S. Original Placement”. Notice that the large playing field is not affected at all by the placement.

The “Front field option” is far more intrusive on the playing field, but has the advantage of improving the looks of the project. The other two options will cost the district from $150K to $250K

Much to do about nothing by Annette.

unclesmrgol on January 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM

LincolntheHun on January 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM

LMFAO! I am still the she-ra of the north and love to hunt and fish… and field dressing is my “thang” as I am a sticker about fur or hair on my meat. But I work in oil.. have for over 10 yrs. Been on the slope, played in the fields, helped geologists with jewlery (the core and chip samples of exploration) and logging equipment.

I love when people say I pump their gas… I guess in a way I have started their pumping services. *wink*

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Consistently the pompous b.

CWforFreedom on January 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I have no problem being called a witch. Would it bother you that I can come back with nastier remarks that would make a sailor blush?

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Annelle Wiederkehr should be proud. Just added another
rank,ignorant,handout demanding,isle slipping,sue anything
set of punks to the population.

May they sue thier own parents for abuse.

Texyank on January 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I have never lied about where I work… thanks for playing though.

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM

You have a difficult time admitting you were mistaken on this and turned it into a personal thing.

There is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that Chevron has donated a single thing to this project. In fact, the evidence from every article is that Chevron is being paid $8 million for the design, installation and future upkeep of this system.

Working in the oil industry doesn’t mean you have some inside knowledge of this particular project and it’s workings.

The reason I keep responding is more of an amazement at the human condition. Why is it difficult to just say people were mistaken?

Heck, when I first read the posting and read the comment about Chevron spending $8 million, I mistakenly believed that to be the case as well. Until I actually read the news article linked and figured I must have missed something somewhere. So I began searching for different articles on this via Google and not a single article said anything about Chevron donating it’s time or money for this project.

That’s why I asked for someone to link an article showing anything about a donation to this project and you supplied one that purportedly was going to support that, but which, in fact, did not.

So, my question now, why is it so difficult to admit you were mistaken? It’s not like it’s a flaw or anything. In fact, having an open mind to take in new facts and change accordingly is what typically elevates conservatives over their liberal counterparts.

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Sweetie, I am not a liberal, far far from it. But I am not going to try to explain something to you that you obviously don’t seem to understand or grasp in any shape or form.

I gave you a link…. 200K is to buy the effing panels for the school.. and unclesmorgl has the article on the SCHOOL paying for the LABOR.

Holy cow.

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Holy cow.

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM

No. You obviously don’t read your own links or the links provided by others.

Here, let’s try one directly from the school district, see if you can grasp this.

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Well shoot…if the kids dont want the solar panels then by george get rid of the solar panels, Im sure they know whats best for their school. Of course without the millions in savings these panels incur they will probably have to shut down the school when the district goes backrupt here in the near future, but at least the kids will have their grass they can use –(with the proper district issued permit for use of course)–

Koa on January 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM

LOL.. I am waiting for you to say it. DOWN WITH OIL COMPANIES!

Come on, just say it and get it over with. Good grief!

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM

The worst offender is the MFM. Two kids with an obviously adult-made banner show up and it’s all bubbly “kids are activists too!” crap.

PattyJ on January 28, 2011 at 3:13 PM

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 2:48 PM
LMFAO! I am still the she-ra of the north

I had more of the of the Jessica Rabbit of the tundra vision myself, you know fur bikini, snow boots, Remington 7mm…Mmmmmm As for the rest,

I am a sticker about fur or hair on my meat.
played in the fields
I guess in a way I have started their pumping services. *wink*

Far too many double ententes for me to respond to.

LincolntheHun on January 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Far too many double ententes for me to respond to.

LincolntheHun on January 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM

heh. Hubby would be mad if you wanted to taste the rabbit stew.

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM

upinak,

It does appear that the contract is for the sale of the Panels. http://voiceofoc.org/oc_coast/article_57aafc1e-29d7-11e0-bae5-001cc4c03286.html but it is possible that they just REALLY wanted to loose a lot of money here.

It is still rather stupid to blame Chevron for the School Districts decision on placement. What does Chevron care? YOU want it somewhere else? They are happy to charge you for that too.

OBQuiet on January 28, 2011 at 3:47 PM

heh. Hubby would be mad if you wanted to taste the rabbit stew.

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM

This right there is why I won’t take you to the Army Ball. That, and you refuse to commit felonies on my behalf by sending me a bear skin rug.
It’s going to be a hard drinking night.

LincolntheHun on January 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM

What would you expect from an Obama supporter? They don’t even know why they believe the ridiculous things they believe.

Jaibones on January 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Wiederkehr

German-speakers will recognize this as an appropriate name for such a backwards-looking person.

Tzetzes on January 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

It’s going to be a hard drinking night.

LincolntheHun on January 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM

isn’t it always though?

upinak on January 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Solar panels and Windmills are the perfect symbol for Obama’s America:

THEY ARE OUT OF WORK AND UNPRODUCTIVE AT LEAST 80% OF THE TIME!!!

landlines on January 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Assuming it’s the same person, (and it’s a fairly unusual name to pop up twice in the same district)…

Assuming it’s the same person, she must have moved, because Corona is not close to Huntington Beach, let alone “in the same district.”

SD on January 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Not a problem. Increase taxes on families with school aged children.

Wade on January 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM