Report: Pence reportedly won’t run for president; Update: Confirmed

posted at 4:59 pm on January 27, 2011 by Allahpundit

No surprise. News broke 20 minutes ago that he’ll reveal his decision tonight to the Indy Star, which was itself a sign that he’d pass on the White House and stay local. And according to an Indy political site, that’s exactly what’s happening.

U.S. Rep. Mike Pence has ruled out a run for national office and will tour the state in the next few months, informed and reliable sources tell Howey Politics Indiana. The sources say that Pence has not made a final decision about a run for governor, keeping open the option of running for reelection in the 6th CD.

Just this morning, Richard Viguerie and Ralph Benko published an op-ed in Politico anointing him the man to beat if he declared given his standing among both fiscal cons and social cons. As it is, Palinistas everywhere breathe a sigh of relief that there’s one less “true conservative” to worry about. I’m actually kind of surprised that he’s passing on 2012: His thinking, presumably, is that with four years of executive experience and no Democratic incumbent in the White House, he’ll be primed for a serious run in 2016. But so will Christie and Rubio and Jindal and who knows who else. It’ll be a strong field, whereas this year’s really isn’t. Speaking of which, Pence reportedly met with Mitch Daniels just eight days ago to discuss matters unspecified; I wonder if that was to sound him out about his own intentions, on the assumption that two Hoosiers in the field will cancel each other out, or if he was giving him a heads up about his decision.

Meanwhile, as a “true conservative” exits stage right, a RINO is set to enter stage left. Much to my surprise, WaPo is reporting that Jon Huntsman is indeed serious about running for president and has already put together a team featuring McCain emeriti John Weaver and Fred Davis. I thought for sure when he told Newsweek he was thinking about it he was only goosing the media ahead of a run for Orrin Hatch’s Senate seat in Utah. But no, apparently he’s going to try to be an even more sensible “sensible centrist” alternative to Romney, Daniels, and the rest of the moderates in the field. I didn’t understand his strategy when I wrote about him three weeks ago and I don’t understand it now, so follow that last link for further thoughts. Presumably he’s hoping to catch the fancy of David Brooks, George Will, Krauthammer, etc, and siphon off Daniels’s buzz as the new establishment favorite, especially in light of the foreign policy cred he derived from his ambassadorship. Good luck with the “sure, I worked for Obama but I didn’t enjoy it” messaging in the primaries, Jon.

Update: Done deal.

“In the choice between seeking national office and serving Indiana in some capacity, we choose Indiana,” Pence, R-Columbus, said of himself and wife Karen in a letter being sent to supporters. “We will not seek the Republican nomination for president in 2012.”

He said he would make a decision “later this year” about what his next political step is, but by not running for president it is considered a virtual certainty that he will run for the GOP nomination for governor.

Needless to say, a big reason for the “Draft Pence” push in recent weeks was some social cons being uncomfortable with Palin or Huckabee as the nominee. Where do those people turn now?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I just think that you need a Carter to get a Reagan.

clement on January 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Where have you been the last 2 years?!

Dark-Star on January 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM

canopfor on January 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM
====================
That’s a great piece.

gary4205 on January 27, 2011 at 6:08 PM

gary4205:Perfect timing with your comment!!:)

canopfor on January 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

ok, number one is out…

Second look at: Zombie Calvin Coolidge

phreshone on January 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM

We will not seek the Republican nomination for president in 2012.

OK, he seems to be ruling out the very-long presidential primary process. I don’t think that necessarily negates this possibility:
Jindal/Pence 2012!

itsnotaboutme on January 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Where do those people turn now?

Huck is probably not going to run. Palin/Gingrich are for sure losers. Pawlenty lacks any pizzazz or electoral heft. Daniels isn’t even a fiscal con.

I suspect now it’ll either be Thune or Romney as the nominee, unless there’s some late entry. Paul Ryan’s been getting some buzz. I dunno. Any other opinions from Pence supporters or full spectrum conservative looking for a nominee who can win?

TimTebowSavesAmerica on January 27, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Second look at: Zombie Calvin Coolidge

phreshone on January 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Silent Cal works…or maybe Zombie Reagan.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Mitt is a social con. Yeah flip flopped to that position but that’s where he is now. As long as Mitt appoint judges like Roberts and Alito I really don’t care if he’s a “true social con.”

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Jindal/Pence 2012!

itsnotaboutme on January 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I’ve been sayin’ that!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 27, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Draft Rick Perry!

El_Terrible on January 27, 2011 at 6:36 PM

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM

You don’t know that he would.

ROMNEYCARE!

El_Terrible on January 27, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Draft Rick Perry!

El_Terrible on January 27, 2011 at 6:36 PM

We’re hoping to move to TX from Chicago.
Leave Perry alone please.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM

You don’t know that he would.

ROMNEYCARE!

El_Terrible on January 27, 2011 at 6:37 PM

If conservative put pressure on him…I think he would

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Draft Rick Perry!

El_Terrible on January 27, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Ugh. As a Texan…..all I can say Perry is one of the fakest politicians out there.

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Bush 1 gave us Souter…

Gohawgs on January 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Well alt, here’s where you’re hiding.

Last night and today, you took it upon yourself initiate insults and name calling, telling me I was a loon, a cult member and smearing me with leftist fecal matter from your mouth by calling me a “birther”.

But, everytime I post the following simple questions for you to answer, you disappear. Since you are so sure of your support for obama’s constitutional legitimacy, to the point of name calling, let’s see if you can back that up with rational fact-based argument. If you disappear again, I’ll ask later.

1. On what evidence do you base your belief that obama was born in Hawaii, or anywhere in the contiguous U.S.?

2. Do you believe obama is a Natural Born Citizen? If so, on what evidence? If not, should the Constitution be followed in regard to denying such a person the Office of the President?

tigerlily on January 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM

@gryphon202 and gary:

darwin said something really excellent on another post. Can’t remember where to find it at the moment so I’ll try to paraphrase as closely as possible:

“Everyone talks about “policy”. The policy of the United States of America can be found in her Declaration of Independence. The means by which this policy is enacted is found in the Constitution. Sarah Palin is all about both, in addition to her detailed policy on a host of other issues which remain faithful to the Founding Documents.”

tigerlily on January 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Bush 1 gave us Souter…

Gohawgs on January 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM

And we learned our lesson, didn’t we? I don’t think we would let a Republican nominate a Souter type judge…especially with a Republican Congress.

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM

If conservative put pressure on him…I think he would

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM

He’s already anybody’s dog who’ll walk him. No thanks

katy the mean old lady on January 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Bush 1 gave us Souter…

Gohawgs on January 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Yep. And the Left begged him to raise taxes; and once he did they clobbered him for breaking the “Read My Lips” campaign promise. He did what they wanted and then killed him for it.

His approval ratings were stellar until campaign season rolled around. His kinder gentler posture was soon show to be defeatist.

When you compromise with the other party, in RINO fashion, you are setting yourself up for a loss.

Geochelone on January 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM

The ticket: Herman Cain/Haley Barbour. Drive the libs crazy!

publiuspen on January 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

We can still “draft Pence” to be Sarah’s VP.

joe_doufu on January 27, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Mike Pence is an excellent man, principled, intelligent, constitutionally conservative, pro-life and religious freedom to the bone, and savvy enough to realize he needs executive experience, that he’s young and has the time to get it, and will make a great president after hitting that learning curve.

His unselfish stepping out of the way only helps Palin. He knows that and graciously did so in deference to her and in a signal of support. Shows me once again the character that I have seen in him for many years now.

Allah can dream on, most constitutional “social” and “fiscal” conservatives back Palin for the same reasons thay’d back Pence. There’s not much more than a hair’s difference between them. But Palin has what it takes in terms of experience and ability at this critical, unprecedented juncture in our nation’s history. This one is for all the marbles and Pence is smart enough to know that and give Palin the room and respect she deserves. His stock was always high with me, but he’s gained a couple more points.

tigerlily on January 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Uh, how do you know this? Where did you get this from?

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 7:01 PM

So if Pence endorses someone else besides Palin in the primary are you going to be trash talking him?

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Uh, he’s got a record of unselfish, gracious, astute moves.
He’s a very fine man. This is something a very fine man would do for someone who shares 99% of his political and cultural views, who knows he isn’t ready to step up yet, and who wants to see obama taken down. If you have a problem with that analysis and opinion, and don’t know enough about Pence or the goodness of human nature to be able to formulate something along these lines, I can’t help you.

P.S. The truth is, I know because his second cousin, once removed, told me. Pass it on.

tigerlily on January 27, 2011 at 7:07 PM

tigerlily on January 27, 2011 at 7:07 PM

So Pence’s second cousin told you he is not running in 2012 so he make Palin’s path to the presidency easier? Really? So it has nothing to do with him running for Governor? Oh ok.

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Will you have a problem with that? More importantly, do you think for a second I care? Jeesh. Stick a fork in it. I’m done with your childish snark.

tigerlily on January 27, 2011 at 7:11 PM

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Mitt is a heck of an actor too…

You want a non-fake politician, we should trade governors… ours is a real down to earth genuine guy, Jerry Brown.

El_Terrible on January 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

tigerlily on January 27, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Well you are the one singing Pence’s praises without even knowing the whole story.

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Mitt is a heck of an actor too…

Mitt doesn’t looks authentic and real compared to Perry.

And no thanks on Jerry Brown :-)

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Mitt doesn’t looks authentic and real compared to Perry.

Sorry meant to say Mitt looks authentic and real compared to Perry.

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 7:19 PM

good luck to Rep Pence on the gov race. I hope he enjoys IN statehouse!

unseen on January 27, 2011 at 7:22 PM

unseen on January 27, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Thought you might enjoy this.

Geochelone on January 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I think it certainly a good move on his part. He gets some executive experience and will be able to run for POTUS later. He is only 51, I believe.

d1carter on January 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM

If Pence and 20 Republican congressmen/women were randomly selected to give a speech, would Pence’s be the most memorable or even near the top in terms of style or substance? Prefer a candidate who excels in both, one that has neither is a complete nonsequitur

Raisedbywolves on January 27, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Well, I would have loved voting for Pence, but I’m not shocked. Best of luck for him and I hope he keeps fighting for the people of IN in some form!

MeatHeadinCA on January 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM

El_Terrible on January 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Mitt gives me the creeps

MeatHeadinCA on January 27, 2011 at 8:25 PM

No, you pipe down.
It’s NOT a long shot at all. In fact, it’s the only sure thing.

This is why you can’t ever be taken seriously, gary.

It’s one thing to think that Palin has the best message of the GOP hopefuls. Or to believe she would be the strongest candidate. I can vociferously disagree but I can’t fault you, per se, for holding that opinion.

But refusing to acknowledge that she has very serious, very deep problems regarding her qualifications and credibility, with a LARGE section of the electorate? That I can fault one for. She has never been, and will never be, a “sure thing”. It will be an uphill battle for ANY of the potential nominees (no matter who gets it), but Palin’s task is Sisyphean.

Vyce on January 27, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Here in Indiana a lot of us think Pence will run, and probably win the governor’s office, and that Daniels will run for and at least have a shot at the Whitehouse. I think if Daniels ran against Obama is ’12 it would be a toss up. About as many conservitives are leery of Daniels as liberals are of Obama. But things are shaping up well for our governor to move up to DC, in that the current rumble is all about budget cuts; which is something Mitch Daniels name is tied to more than any other potential candidate.

MikeA on January 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Vyce on January 27, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Having a base of support, Palin is better-positioned than any of the other potentials with the possible exception of the Huckster. Romney? Pawlenty? You’re going to sit there with a straight face and tell me those guys have a shot at winning? Come on. That’s why the obsessive anti-Palin types are so hard to take seriously.

ddrintn on January 27, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Palin isn’t running so that leaves Fried Squirrel man

How ya like them thar viddles Hot Airians?

Huck-A-Bee!!

Huck-A-Bee!!

We love Huck…….Critters for me!!

PappyD61 on January 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM

All I can say is that it will be VERY interesting who Palin’s VP pick will be.

My guess…
Palin/West 2012

tencole on January 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM

That’s been my pick so far.

GAAAAAHHHH!!!!! RETREEEAT, RETREEEAT!!!!!

ProudPalinFan on January 27, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Anyone that hires the McCain team is pretty much dead in the water.

slickwillie2001 on January 27, 2011 at 9:39 PM

GAAAAAHHHH!!!!! RETREEEAT, RETREEEAT!!!!!

ProudPalinFan on January 27, 2011 at 9:36 PM

ugh…they may as well stop before they even get started…epic fail right there…

cmsinaz on January 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM

slickwillie2001 on January 27, 2011 at 9:39 PM

amen

cmsinaz on January 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM

terryannonline on January 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I am SO with you about Perry. He’s “OK”, and I sure didn’t want the D to be governor, but Perry in DC would ruin any true conservative.

Yellowdog12 on January 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Apparently the RGA was really pushing for Pence as a draft pick for Governor of Indiana. This is a great position for him and the state for a variety of reasons. The more conservative, fiscally responsible governors we have in place, the better the nation will be. From the bottom up, conservatives have to be the better model for economic turnaround and success.

onlineanalyst on January 27, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Why can’t the GOP, RNC, RGA and NRA work together? Eh?

ProudPalinFan on January 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM

ddrintn on January 27, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Yes, they have a shot. I’d look you straigh in the eye and say that. Almost any non-polarizing GOP nominee would have a shot.

More importantly, their odds are EXPONENTIALLY greater than Palin’s. “Palin has a solid base!” Which doesn’t even compromise the entirety of the Republican/conservative base, let alone the indies and moderates needed to actually win the election. Face it, neither party can win on base alone.

Vyce on January 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM

The sources say that Pence has not made a final decision about a run for governor, keeping open the option of running for reelection in the 6th CD. vice president on the Palin ticket.

:) On that happy note, I’m going to bed.

pannw on January 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Darn. I understand his strategy, but darn.

redwhiteblue on January 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Yeah, those non-polarizing candidates have always done sooooo well for the GOP. Like John McCain. What a route to victory.

Vyce on January 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Let’s see you win without them. That is going to be fun.

ddrintn on January 28, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Pence may feel he just isn’t ready and I respect that. I just can’t stomach anyone trying to force John Huntsman, Mitch Daniels or Huck the Smuck on me. I just don’t trust any one of them. They weren’t there for any policy battles and now think they deserve the nomination?

I hope Palin or Herman takes the nomination as I won’t have to hold my nose to vote for either of them. They are both fighters and seem far more honest that the others we have been presented with.

Africanus on January 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM

For the love of this country! No more politicians for President. We need leaders who understand how this country and our economy work. Where jobs come from. Someone who has signed the front of checks and not just the back like our Check-Casher in Chief. We need a person like Herman Cain!

Dandapani on January 30, 2011 at 3:46 PM