SOTU recap: So, who hooked up on prom night?

posted at 5:51 pm on January 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

Quite possibly the best SOTU coverage I’ve seen today, for two reasons. One: It nicely captures the stupidity of our reps’ hamhanded civility display. And two: It’s the only bit of coverage that’s distinguishable from all the other bits. To extend yesterday’s analogy, if the SOTU is the political equivalent of the Pro Bowl, then reading the day-after punditry about the speech is like watching a six-hour post-game show. As tedious as the “game” is, it’s nothing compared to the navel-gazing about it afterwards. And yes, I know I’m guilty of some navel-gazing myself. Such are the occasional perils of blogging, my friends: Like Madden, you’ve got to pull out the ol’ telestrator and give it a go even for meaningless exhibition scrimmages.

As further reading, see Conor Friedersdorf’s salute to Every Editorial You’ve Ever Read About The SOTU.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

I’m not clicking on any link that has the string “andrewsullivan” in it.

moochy on January 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Obama and our wallets.

kingsjester on January 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM

How long will it take to get beyond this meaningless tripe and on to issues of substance?

GaltBlvnAtty on January 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM

So much ghey.

Emily M. on January 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM

It was like Nancy & Newt on a couch, but with more estrogen.

portlandon on January 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM

“And yes, I know I’m guilty of some navel-gazing myself.”

Stop looking an Barney Frank…

Eeeewwwwwwww!

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM

It’s just not the same SOTU without someone screaming “You Lie!”.

portlandon on January 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Don’t ask Don’t t.. oh,wait a second, never mind.

trubble on January 26, 2011 at 6:01 PM

My favorite was seeing John Boehner paired up with the One. Seeing Harry tempered that a bit.

freemarketer on January 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Oh, wow. So there was some kind of Obama speech or something last night?

Huh. I guess I would’ve known about it had I not spent the evening watching Rush on the Haney Project, followed by a Nia Vardalos chick-flick.

Would I have been better off watching Obama instead?

(Yeah, right)

FlameWarrior on January 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM

“Joopy” Senator? This guy has a speech impediment because I think he meant “GOP”. Had me really scratching my head at first.

And what did he mean that Michele Bachman was “sitting alone”? Looked like there was a lady on each side of her. Hopefully he meant that she didn’t take part in the ridiculous R/D pair offs because my esteem for her would certainly go up even higher if I find that out.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Lean Forward?

Inanemergencydial on January 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM

OMG…it’s the LoveShack.

Electrongod on January 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Who hooked up on prom night? Just look around the offices to see where the empty beer cans, discarded underwear, and used condoms are.

Oh… I see 7% Soln already mentioned Barney Frank…

malclave on January 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM

POTUS and TOTUS. The prom’s King and Queen. (Who’s the queen?)

kevinkristy on January 26, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Pro Bowl, sure if the PB was normally filled with bench warmers.

Bishop on January 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM

It’s just not the same SOTU without someone screaming “You Lie!”.

portlandon on January 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM

No its not but saved me $200.00!
No word yet if I owe anyone $500.00 for handcuffing their rat to their chair!

EBay sale on dvd’s of the event slow even with the figure of Mother Mary holding the real Jesus visible in the swirl of the case right next to the Picture of the Chi-town jesus!

All in all an epic failure for the corruptocrat politicians which is an automatic win for we The People!

dhunter on January 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM

The spit swapping by Kerry and McCain was nauseating. When scum like these two can be nominees of the respective parties then you know that rock bottom has been reached on more than one occasion.

volsense on January 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Massively OT but I have a great palate cleanser…IF you like Bacon.

Mord on January 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM

volsense on January 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM

This good old boys club exists to rule over and fleece We The People! These clowns should be driven from DC in scorn and ridicule and become pariahs in their communities! We need real life ctizens like Sarah Palin, Christine ODonnell, Kristy Noem, Herman Cain,and the other common man Tea Party Patriots to tear their playhouse down around their corrupt ears.
I for one will have the back of anyone who attempts this!

Aim Small Hit Small<:)

dhunter on January 26, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I would like to see someone do morph pictures of the combined features of the republicans and democrats who sat together.

scrubjay on January 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM

This response from ACE was well worth reading.

Buy Danish on January 26, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Oh, how I hope People magazine makes an exclusive report about these lowlife celebrities.

mobydutch on January 26, 2011 at 8:05 PM

If I were Speaker, running the show, I would’ve chained the House chamber doors yesterday morning, and ordered the posting of signs at each entrance, something like…

“Please forgive our progress. Nation under construction.”

TXUS on January 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM

An Andrew Sullivan link? Really?

Kensington on January 26, 2011 at 8:44 PM