Good news: Sharron Angle not ruling out presidential run

posted at 10:12 pm on January 26, 2011 by Allahpundit

Sure, she couldn’t beat the face of the Democratic caucus in a hugely Republican year even with a gigantic war chest. And yeah, her comment about “Second Amendment remedies” was probably the single most often-cited soundbite after the Arizona shootings by liberals pushing the smear that Loughner was driven by right-wing rhetoric. But why let that stop her?

Serious question: In a primary field that includes Palin and, quite possibly, Michele Bachmann, what percentage could she reasonably expect? One? Maybe?

Tea Party favorite Sharron Angle of Nevada descended upon the movie premiere of a conservative Christian movie in Johnston [Iowa] tonight, and she wouldn’t say that she was running for president.

But she wouldn’t say that she wasn’t.

“I’ll just say I have lots of options for the future, and I’m investigating all my options,” Angle said before a couple hundred people sat down to watch the premiere of “The Genesis Code,” a $5 million film that aims to present a controversial view on religious freedom and on the balancing act between faith and science…

“Please, just invite me back,” she said to Iowans.

I assume she’s playing the same game here that Jon Huntsman and (probably) Pence and Bachmann are playing via their own flirtations with 2012 — namely, using the presidential race to gin up buzz for their plans to run for statewide office. John Ensign’s up in 2012 and he’s been badly weakened by his adultery scandal, to the point where he’s already acknowledged to local papers that he expects a primary challenge. Angle understandably believes she’ll have an easier time in the general if she can win the next primary than she did with an incumbent as savvy as Reid. Would grassroots conservatives want to gamble on her again, though? After her last campaign was reportedly horribly run?

Comments

I take her more seriously than Dennis Kucinich, Jesse Jackson, or Al Sharpton.

Paul-Cincy on January 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Angle/O’Donnell 2012, and if you think that’s a bad idea you are a dirty RINO.

Boxy_Brown on January 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM

*Facepalm*

nickj116 on January 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Liberals need sit back and do nothing, it’s beginning to look like. Which is sad, because my staunch Conservative parents who have voted Republican in every election for at least 50 years consider themselves now “Tea Partiers” and they will not, when it gets stupid.

Marcus on January 26, 2011 at 10:16 PM

A Presidential candidate that can’t carry her own state. Great idea…

joejm65 on January 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I don’t understand how people lose with their friends and neighbors voting and then expect to take that loss nationwide. That’s a lot of self esteem.

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Sorry, Sharron. I like you, but your time has passed. You had a layup against Harry Reid and lost badly. We don’t need you squandering another easy election in Nevada.

Doughboy on January 26, 2011 at 10:17 PM

LOL, c’mon, Sharron.

Midas on January 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM

What segment of the GOP is she going to capture?

Tea Partiers will have their own candidates in Sarah Palin and related.

Establishment types will have Gingrich and others.

Social cons have Huckabee and others.

How does she see a road to competition?

amerpundit on January 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Well, MSNBC has it’s story for Thursday, am to pm.

Marcus on January 26, 2011 at 10:21 PM

She ran a horrible, disorganized campaign in NV with a campaign manager from another state and she thinks she stands a chance to run for President in 50 states? Give me a break! I am beginning to wonder about some of these candidates if they are getting used to living off donations.

Michelle Bachmann is the only articulate woman mentioned who is not afraid to be interviewed by any all news people. Angle went into hiding the last few weeks of the race and people had a tough time getting in touch at times with her or her campaign manager during the campaign. Palin only wants to be interviewed by people who toss softballs.

PhiKapMom on January 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Leave her alone, can’t a gal go halfway across the US to see a movie and not have her motives questioned?

Gohawgs on January 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Huh? This is bizarro world.

This sounds like the reason she might be running for POTUS. Also, I think it says more about the standard for POTUS being irrevocably lowered that someone with Angle’s experience would consider a run. Way to go Barry!

conservative pilgrim on January 26, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Sharon,take lots of soy.Those hot flashes and delusions will go away.

katy the mean old lady on January 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Delusions are indignant.

If you can’t beat an incontinent, grumpy, nasty, non-simpatico, old fart like Reid, forget about it.

Schadenfreude on January 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM

She’ll have the Asian-looking vote wrapped up.

YYZ on January 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Oh please. She couldn’t even beat Harry Reid.

SoulGlo on January 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM

See that article already posted on Obama’s waltz into a second term.

Doing great, GOP.

BowHuntingTexas on January 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I just noticed recently that ABC has hired Christine O’Donnell as a talking head. I wonder why? I bet if Angle doesn’t run NBC has a spot for her.

motionview on January 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM

She can run if she wants.

SouthernGent on January 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Mein Gott im Himmel…

catmman on January 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Cain lost the Senate primary in GA, yet he has a lot of support. Angle at least won the primary.

huckleberryfriend on January 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM

huckleberryfriend on January 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM

I don’t know how much support Cain actually has. And part of the reason he lost was his support for affirmative action policies.

Angle didn’t lose because her political opinions were unpopular at the time. She lost because she ran a lousy campaign in which Reid was allowed to define her as a whacko.

amerpundit on January 26, 2011 at 10:35 PM

The last loser who couldn’t carry his own state was Al Gore. Then again, maybe it was a Chakra thing. Then again, do women have Chakras? ✪

TXUS on January 26, 2011 at 10:35 PM

If Palin doesn’t run, I think the Palinistas just found their dream ticket!!

rickyricardo on January 26, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Why not…?

… Maybe she will run on cutting the budget, securing the borders, and drilling for oil to pay for Social Security.

At least it will add to the conversation, and it won’t cost me a dime…

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2011 at 10:35 PM

The US is bankrupt, thanks to the empty suits in power. You were taught they were “qualified.” I’ll tell you who’s qualified. We the people!

Emperor Norton on January 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Yup, follow the money.

rickyricardo on January 26, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Palin only wants to be interviewed by people who toss softballs.

PhiKapMom on January 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Lie much?

She just did a media rush before the end of the year.

You gotta remember though, she’s under contract to Fox, so her outside interviews are held to a minimum.

That said, she NEVER refuses to answer questions at events from random reporters, unless they are jackasses who try and cut in line at book signings.

Go find another lie to push. This one doesn’t pass the laugh test. .

As for Angle …. oh my.

gary4205 on January 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Palin just had the line of the night on Greta. Called Obama’s SOTU theme “winning the future”…WTF?……

I love that lady….

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM

She’ll win Elko and go home.

Limerick on January 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM

QOTD……if I ever heard one. winning the future….WTF? mister president…..ROFL…

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:39 PM

I liked Christine O’Donnell. I know she didn’t have a chance in a solidly blue state, but I felt she carried our message well…

Once Angle was our nominee, I supported her… but, she was a terrible candidate. She stuck her foot in her mouth way too many times. That debate between her and Reid is the worst I have ever seen.

Angle, no thank you. I’d rather take my chances with Palin.

El_Terrible on January 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM

on another note. huck had an ad on Greta where it says he is a presidential candidate.

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I love that lady….

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM

True Grit with a splash of humor.

Geochelone on January 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I love that lady….

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM

She really is priceless. That was just an incredible interview. Just incredible.

Obama is probably curled up under the Resolute desk with his binky sucking his thumb.

gary4205 on January 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Angle, no thank you. I’d rather take my chances with Palin.

El_Terrible on January 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I agree with you except for the debate. I thought she did well against Reid.

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

No one cares if she runs for president. She won’t draw any votes. No one’s taking the bait, Allah.

chris999 on January 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM

True Grit with a splash of humor.

Geochelone on January 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

gary4205 on January 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

It was a good interview. Said tha tthe sputnik moment was another WTF moment…..Metion John Stossel, Rayn’s and Rand Paul as ideas we should embraced. Called for the defunding of NPR, and the ARTs program Said the only way we are going to grow economically is get the government off our backs.

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Sharron who?

You mean that gal from Vegas that couldn’t beat Dingy Harry?

You mean the gal that wasted millions of dollars of Tea party money

You mean the TP Republican that ROVE actually liked?

No Sharron. Very much No.

PappyD61 on January 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Angle, no thank you. I’d rather take my chances with Palin.

El_Terrible on January 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Kinda how I felt as well. Christine believed what she was saying, and once she got going was quite articulate. She would have made a good Senator.

From what I’ve heard, Angle was good at what she did. But she came off like someone who had issues. The way she speaks. Like some sort of medical issue. Shaky.

I think she would have been OK as well. But, ya gotta win to be able to get there to do the job.

gary4205 on January 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM

So it looks like allah is waiting for the greta interview to be posted so he has his QOTD…..

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM

They are starting to act like the Democrats of the 80s. The message is muddled, divided, and, in the case of Angle… just plain nutty.

lexhamfox on January 26, 2011 at 10:47 PM

anyone think that some staffer in the WH had a Homer simpson moment when Palin called winning the future WTF?

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM

unseen on January 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM

LOL

I didn’t get your comment earlier when you mentioned it the first time, and now it hits me. That’s hilarious.

El_Terrible on January 26, 2011 at 10:50 PM

What could go wrong?

We could end up with Huckabee, Romney, or Newt. Wait… Was that a hypothetical question?

rihar on January 26, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Sharron Angle must run.

God Wills It… (says the voiced in her head).

swamp_yankee on January 26, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Stupid woman! Cursed be all her enablers

conservador on January 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Sharron, put the bong down, and back away slowly

JohnGalt23 on January 27, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Angle/Greene dream ticket

pedestrian on January 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Ummm, what exactly did she mean by that 2nd Amendment solutions quote, anyway?

tikvah on January 27, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Dear Sharron Angle and Christine O’Donnell, you can’t bring conservative change to Washington if the voters aren’t willing to send you there. Don’t have to be a RINO, just a Ron Johnson. Same views, but calmer, more rational, and more eloquent. -#candidates #matter

Raisedbywolves on January 27, 2011 at 3:36 AM

These stupid ,laughable women.Why don’t they just stay out of politics?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 27, 2011 at 3:42 AM

The Pubs need to take a lesson from NY last year. In a wave election, we couldn’t take the governorship because of an completely unacceptable candidate. We need a patriot that can readily convince the electorate of his competency.

paul1149 on January 27, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Looking for a VP or cabinet…

right2bright on January 27, 2011 at 7:24 AM

Noted post whore, Allapundit, pimps a story about something that won’t happen, and if it did would not matter. Another senseless episode of one-night-stand journalism.

Immolate on January 27, 2011 at 7:54 AM

You mean that gal from Vegas that couldn’t beat Dingy Harry?

PappyD61 on January 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM

To be fair, Nevada is only a couple of electoral college votes.

Heh.

James on January 27, 2011 at 8:51 AM

O’Donnell/Angle 2012!!!

Akzed on January 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Please don’t Sharron. It will only be a fiasco. Use some judgment.

jeanie on January 27, 2011 at 10:14 AM

What was that about loser candidates from past elections trying to run for president in this one?

jnelchef on January 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Give the woman a break. Saying “I’m investigating all my options” at a movie in Iowa does not mean “Republican Presidential nomination 2012″. The woman had enough guts to get off her duff and challenge the most powerful Senator in the country. Good for her. Does she need more political experience? Absolutely! Is she getting it? Yep. Keep up the fight, Ms. Angle. I hope you inspire many others to turn off the boobtube and do what you’ve done. …Just maybe a bit more smarter and effectively.

JSGreg3 on January 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I think my fellow Iowans and I may have to vacate the state for a few months to make room for all the candidates.

nkviking75 on January 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM

“Please, just invite me back,” she said to Iowans.

No, Iowa, don’t invite her back. Give her a one-way ticket to Vegas.

If Angle can’t win one state, how does she expect to win enough states to win the Electoral College? Chris Christie or Marco Rubio would be better candidates–at least they know how to win an election!

Give it up, Sharron. You had your chance, and you blew it.

Steve Z on January 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Nevada had two better Republican candidates in Sue Lowden and Danny Tarkanian and the Tea party Express gave us that moron Angle!

Hilts on January 27, 2011 at 2:46 PM

If Palin decides not to run (hopefully) and if she endorsed Angle – at least 75% of the Palinbots would vote for her.

Hilts on January 27, 2011 at 2:48 PM