Democrat tries to boot Giffords from committee assignment

posted at 9:30 am on January 26, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

According to the Daily Caller’s Chris Moody, California Democrat Loretta Sanchez proposed yanking fellow Rep. Gabrielle Giffords off of the House Armed Services Committee after being at least temporarily disabled by a gunshot wound to the head less than three weeks ago.  Sanchez argued that Democrats needed every vote they have on the panel and that they could not leave the seat open indefinitely.  The reaction from her colleagues was, not surprisingly, strongly negative:

Behind closed doors, California Democratic Rep. Loretta Sanchez has proposed removing Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords from the House Armed Services Committee (HASC) until she recovers from injuries sustained after being shot in the head on Jan. 8 in Tucson, The Daily Caller has learned.

The proposal sparked an outrage, according to those in the room — including from those in Sanchez’s own party.

“It’s not appropriate,” Texas Democratic Rep. Silvestre Reyes told The Daily Caller, adding that there was outrage among some members in the room when Sanchez made the suggestion. “It’s bad for morale during her recovery period.”

Republicans have an eight-vote advantage on the committee.  It’s possible that there will be some close votes, but it’s more likely that a single Democratic absence on the panel won’t have any impact at all this year.  The absence of Giffords might make a difference in some subcommittees, but that could be addressed by asking a few of the HASC Democrats to add another subcommittee assignment temporarily, rather than replacing Giffords on the main committee.

Sanchez defended her proposal afterward through her spokesperson:

“Gabby has always been one of the most active members on the Armed Services Committee, and Rep. Sanchez wants to make sure HASC Democrats preserve her voice until the congresswoman has returned,” Sanchez’s Press Secretary Caroline Hogan told TheDC. “Rep. Sanchez simply inquired whether a proxy could represent the Congresswoman on the Committee at Rep. Giffords’ request. That way, Gabby’s legislative priorities and seniority would be preserved until her return. Any other interpretation of her question is ludicrous.”

Er, suuuure.  The remaining Democrats on the panel could just as easily “preserve” Giffords’ legislative priorities by, well, doing it themselves, including Sanchez.  There are 26 other Democrats on the committee; is Sanchez really arguing that among them, they couldn’t carry Giffords’ water for at least a few weeks?  Replacing Giffords on the panel is an odd way to “preserve her voice.”

There may come a time when Democrats have to consider how to address Giffords’ committee assignments in the House, if her rehab looks like it will keep her away for a long period of time.  Those decisions don’t have to be made two weeks into her recovery, though.  In fact, given the role of the minority party in the House, it may not need to be an issue at all until the next election.

One unnamed Republican got in a dig at Sanchez’ sensitivity:

“From a woman who memorialized her cat, you’d think she’d show a little more compassion for a woman shot in the face,” said one GOP aide, referring to Sanchez’s 2010 Christmas card that paid tribute to her late cat, Gretzky.

Reyes and Adam Smith (D-CA) squelched Sanchez’ proposal.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The reaction from her colleagues was, not surprisingly, strongly negative:

Actually that IS surprising to me. I can’t believe those carcass picking vultures haven’t tried it before now.

TugboatPhil on January 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2011 at 10:57 AM

It’s nice that you can look at them so. I find nonsense tiresome and tiring. We used to have liberals on the site who could at least hold a conversation without shrieking insults and resorting to name-calling. Now, they seem to be in a race to the bottom.

DrMagnolias on January 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM

hawkdriver on January 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Clearly, albeit unsurprisingly, a point that’s lost on him.

Christien on January 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM

O/T: All us “birthers” are starting to look a whole lot saner this morning, aren’t we? According to the governor of Hawaii, there is “no” birth certificate for Obama in Hawaii.

silvernana on January 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Really cranking up the ‘Civility’ ain’t ya?

Why exactly are you defending that insipid little shoutbox troll?

Dark-Star on January 26, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Was I defending him?

I was merely point out that Liberal and Liberty both come from the Latin word for “Free” liber.

Liberalis was derived from liber, having the meaning ‘of freedom’

However, it would seem like these days, the mask on Liberalism has slipped off and it is no longer about being “Free” or Freedom does it?

Chip on January 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Drywall: A good example of a BAD example.

IF I were on his side, I’d prolly start thinking why? Sorta like if I were on Keith Olbewomann’s side.

Liberals. Unsavory and hypocritical. I wonder why he is nose deep in US politics when he ought to spend every waking hour trying to make Canada fabulous?

Gob on January 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

DrMagnolias on January 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I enjoy the interaction others have with the commenters from the Left. I usually don’t reply but I like Mr. Rywall, he works so hard at showing us the error of our ways. I must say that he seems a bit wound up this morning.

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

NO SHE IS TRYING TO GET ON WITH DOING THE BUSINESS OF THE COMMITTEE

YOU WANT A YEAR OF MOURNING

F*CK

Dave Rywall on January 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Gee, Tim Hortons run out of coffee this morning?

Aviator on January 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM

silvernana on January 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Y’all still need to be careful, I don’t think I would hang my hat on this guy, he seems nuts. I do think that the former governor should be required to explain why she vouched for its’ existence or give the current governor a clue where he might find it.

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Who cares what that racist says. More pics of that blonde standing behind her in the pic.

Lou Budvis on January 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Some of our trolls seem to have a few mild but noticable personality deficits. They seem to go back and forth between being overly aggressive and mild masochism. If our responses help with these problems then we should continue. Never let it be said of us that we turned our back on those in need. lol!

jeanie on January 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I know of no position that would be allowed to be open for over 2 weeks with out anyone preforming the functions of that job…. Never would happen outside of government

the_ancient on January 26, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Never taken a vacation?

James on January 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Guess she didn’t get the message about the black and white ribbons.

Kissmygrits on January 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I think any Congressman that misses a consecutive 3 months of their term should be removed from office. I’m willing to be understanding and make it 4 months, but it is not fair to a district to not have a representative in DC.

huckleberryfriend on January 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM

My main concern is keeping the Vietnamese off the committee.

mankai on January 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM

huckleberryfriend on January 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I wonder if that wouldn’t be handled by the individual states? You notice that they all have different rules to fill vacancies. Look at MA, they change their rules depending on if the person to be replaced could be a Republican or Democrat.

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Besides… Giffords(D) is just another Gringo right Loretta Sanchez(D)?

DANEgerus on January 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM

There are no provisions for dealing with the incapacity of Members of Congress except these:

(Article 1, section 5) Each House shall be the judge of the elections, returns and qualifications of its own members, …

Neither House has laid down procedures for raising the question of its members incapacity, so such questions have to be raised before a quorum in session, as ordinary business. Any member held to be unqualified due to incapacity would have to be replaced by a special election held in their State.

Either House could, as part of their own rules, establish an expedited procedure for raising the incapacity issue, but the only action that could be taken is to declare the seat vacant due to the members incapacity, to filled by special election by the affected State.

LarryD on January 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I agree – the subject has to be discussed at some point. If she need replaced as a rep that is up to her state. If she need replaced on committees thats up to the house it’s self. I really think the same rules that apply to presidential disability should be applied to the congress critters also (term limits included).

MidWestFarmer on January 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM

MidWestFarmer on January 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I suspect that once Giffords is fully lucid and aware of her situation, she will call the Governor and suggest a special election. She strikes me as the kind of person that would do that.

slickwillie2001 on January 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Loretta Sanchez is self-serving slime. I say this as a California gringo, who is tired of the double standard.

hachiban on January 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM

NO SHE IS TRYING TO GET ON WITH DOING THE BUSINESS OF THE COMMITTEE

YOU WANT A YEAR OF MOURNING

F*CK

Dave Rywall on January 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Calm down, Dave.

I said nothing about mourning. I expect her to recover, and recover fast, and I don’t want Mr. Loughner to have harmed her in the least. I do not agree with her politics — especially on Obamacare — but I agree even less to having her, or her state, be harmed by the violence enacted upon her. Sanchez was feasting upon a corpse, so to speak, for California has the largest Congressional delegation, and hence the probability of Giffords being replaced by a Californian was very high. A lot of politics in Congress revolve around states and shares of responsibility. As a Southern Californian who has followed Sanchez’ career, I fully understand what she is about.

unclesmrgol on January 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Gee, Tim Hortons run out of coffee this morning?

Aviator on January 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I think they had plenty of coffee — they must have been out of timbits.

unclesmrgol on January 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Did you check out the video on Drudge? And who do you mean by ya’ll? Just asking, because the name “birther” was birthed by Axelrod to quell the inquiries into this con artist by people who have a right to know. I’m not questioning whether he was born in Hawaii, but there’s something on the birth certificate that would disqualify him from being president if it were known. I hope the drumbeat builds. This guy, who obviously loves Obama, thought he was going to help put a stop to this before the next election, and all he has done is reopen this can of worms.

silvernana on January 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Regardless of her dopey comments…after looking thru her various Christmas cards at the link, I’m getting the distinct feeling she’s a hot little minx after hours. She’s got a “Charro” vibe goin on.

Alden Pyle on January 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM

She’s only ‘Charro’ in that she’s a complete idiot.

slickwillie2001 on January 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM

silvernana on January 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I wouldn’t worry about the birther tag anymore. Whatever cache the Left/media has tried to attach those requesting the long form copy has been lifted by the governor taking up the task. I don’t know if I believe there is a disqualifier on the document but I think there is something seriously embarrassing. I feel the same about his other missing records. I am still ​intrigued by the discrepancies of the proceeding governor and current governor’s stories.

Cindy Munford on January 26, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Take your Thorazine, ya hoser.

Akzed on January 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Doesn’t Canada have stricter gun control laws than the US? Maybe there’s a reason…

CJ on January 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Really cranking up the ‘Civility’ ain’t ya?

Why exactly are you defending that insipid little shoutbox troll?

Dark-Star on January 26, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Was I defending him?

Liberalis was derived from liber, having the meaning ‘of freedom’

Chip on January 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Yo! Dark-Star, don’t you have a rejoinder to that posting?

Chip on January 26, 2011 at 1:07 PM

She’s only ‘Charro’ in that she’s a complete idiot.

slickwillie2001 on January 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM

All the better,.. only increases the chances that she would willingly, pound tequila shots, shave her hoo ha, put a fruit basket on her head and dance nekkid around the room while shakin her maracas and purring “cuchi cuchi”.

Alden Pyle on January 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Sorry, she’s an idiot, but what a great name for a cat.

Happy 50th birthday, Wayne. At least Los Angeles can be proud of someone worthy.

winoceros on January 26, 2011 at 1:18 PM

More Erin Andrews in the background. I know it is not her, but looks like her. Eyes keep getting drawn to her, not the Sanchez

WoosterOh on January 26, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Loretta Sanchez is a shallow human being. Man, I miss B1 Bob Dornan.

pugwriter on January 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM

She does need to be replaced. Enough with these sentimental, emotional showings. We don’t need Congress to be a Hallmark card. We need them to take care of their business.

Holding a seat for someone who is obviously not going to be there for quite a while is ridiculous.

I’m so tired of hearing about Giffords this and Giffords that. Every single thing going on now she is thrown into the mix as some type of emotional context which in reality has no bearing on the matter whatsoever.

We have Americans getting shot every day of the week. Should we just stop the country and memorialize each one for weeks on end? Of course not.

Get a grip folks.

ButterflyDragon on January 26, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Does Sanchez just think that Giffords in nothing more than a tissue mass? Would Sanchez have past-term aborted Giffords?

Tim Burton on January 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I hate to say this, but I’m going to: If Giffords were a hispanic, she wouldn’t have suggested this.

catmman on January 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Tim Burton on January 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Sanchez was just trying for the standard abortion. Giffords is still early in her term. After all, when it’s that early, they have no nerves or feelings.

unclesmrgol on January 26, 2011 at 2:54 PM

NO SHE IS TRYING TO GET ON WITH DOING THE BUSINESS OF THE COMMITTEE

YOU WANT A YEAR OF MOURNING

F*CK

Dave Rywall on January 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I must be giddy, because the outraged troll is really making me LOL today.

fossten on January 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Democratic Rep. Loretta Sanchez is only in power because illegal aliens are allowed to vote in California…

Happy?

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Once again, Sanchez shows her true character…

Gohawgs on January 26, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Sanchez is a evil liberal moron personified! She’s the one who defeated B-1 Bob Dornan a few years ago. I can’t stand her for that reason alone. She doesn’t belong in Congress, however, unless more Californian’s start growing some brain cells, then unfortunately she will remain.

CrusaderPatriot on January 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Never taken a vacation?

James on January 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Sure, but someone covers my job functions. I.E. Meetings are attended to by others in the office, my clients needs are seen to by other staff members, etc etc etc.

My part of the business does NOT go in to suspension while I am gone.

the_ancient on January 26, 2011 at 5:01 PM

silvernana on January 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I agree, this is a huge story. Red State won’t touch it, any ‘birther’ stuff gets a poster banned from that rather lame and over-hyped site. Let’s see if HA eventually toes the water with this story. Why not? After years of people saying that they’ve personally seen the long form, I think some folks now have some explaining to do…

joejm65 on January 26, 2011 at 5:18 PM

… Happy?

Seven Percent Solution on January 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Ah, you beat me to the punch here, whoops, we are not supposed to use a violent term, sorry.

Anyway, you are right, hoards of illegals voted for Sanchez in her first term that she won. Unfortunately, she got away with such blatant election fraud. Also, doesn’t she have a sister in Congress now? They probably found another district where they could pump the registration with illegal voters. This makes me furious.

We need a uniform voter ID law that requires PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP to get registered to vote. And they need to make that law where EVERYONE has to re-register with their proof of citizenship. We need to purge the rolls of all of the dead voters who seem to vote beyond the grave, and all of the illegals that are voting now.

karenhasfreedom on January 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM

¿Si Dave es un Canuck entonces porqué son sus papeles no en orden? Porqué es él permitió fijar, un muchacho enojado.

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Lou Budvis on January 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Amen bro! She’s hawt!!

odat on January 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Loretta is almost literally trying to pull a Dirty Sanchez.

Irony right there.

batterup on January 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Sanchez is a slimeball, which ensures her continued reelection here in California.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 26, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Rywall you’re insane. Burr up your arse?

CWforFreedom on January 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

From a woman who memorialized her cat,

Nothing says Christmas like a dead cat.

BitterClinger on January 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

NO SHE IS TRYING TO GET ON WITH DOING THE BUSINESS OF THE COMMITTEE

YOU WANT A YEAR OF MOURNING

F*CK

Dave Rywall on January 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Dave, Il ne fait vraiment pas beau d’employer quatre mots de lettre quand vous n’êtes pas d’accord avec des personnes.

Dave, asse’avec l’entretien de détritus, OK ?
Merci beaucoup

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Sanchez? I think you mean Loretta Brixey…..she’s a racist.

CWforFreedom on January 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Arizona law does not cover Federal offices.

Arizona Revised Statutes – Title 16 Elections and Electors – Section 16-230 Vacancy in certain state or county offices; election
16-230. Vacancy in certain state or county offices; election

A. Notwithstanding any other statute and except as prescribed by subsection C of this section, for state and county offices that provide for a four-year term of office, the following applies if there is a vacancy in office due to death, disability, resignation or any other cause:

1. If a state office becomes vacant, the governor shall appoint a person of the same political party as the person vacating the office to fill the portion of the term until the next regular general election. If the vacancy occurs within the first two years of the term, and before the date on which a nomination paper is required to be filed as prescribed by section 16-311, a primary election shall be held as otherwise provided by law to determine candidates to fill the unexpired term. At the next regular general election, the person elected shall fill the remainder of the unexpired term of the vacant office.

2. If a county office becomes vacant, the board of supervisors shall appoint a person of the same political party as the person vacating the office to fill the portion of the term until the next regular general election. If the vacancy occurs within the first two years of the term, and before the date on which a nomination paper is required to be filed as prescribed by section 16-311, a primary election shall be held as otherwise provided by law to determine candidates to fill the unexpired term. At the next regular general election, the person elected shall fill the remainder of the unexpired term of the vacant office.

B. A person who is elected to fill the remainder of an unexpired term of a vacant office pursuant to subsection A of this section may take the oath of office and begin the remainder of the term of office at any time within ninety days after the canvass of the election. A person who is appointed pursuant to subsection A of this section shall remain in office until the person elected pursuant to this subsection takes the oath of office.

C. This section does not apply to the office of governor.

Sections: Previous 16-223 16-224 16-225 16-226 16-227 16-228 16-229 16-230 16-241 16-242 16-243 16-244 16-245 16-246 16-247 Next

Last modified: March 5, 2010

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM

It was okay for Clinton and Obama to being absent from their job for almost two years while campaigning.

mixplix on January 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM

mixplix on January 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM
We are three Americas.
One for democrooks.Rinos, then people who actually work for a living.
Congress is proof of the Peter Principal plus 10.

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Loretta Sanchez is a whore.

woodNfish on January 26, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Ms. Sanchez, that was not nice. At least wait until the people of AZ say it’s time for the seat to be filled. That wasn’t your place.
This is what is wrong with America today, people think they are entitled to things. It’s the people of AZ seats NOT the DemocRATs seat Ms. Sanchez!!!

mmcnamer1 on January 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Does anybody know why Erin Andrews was at that press conference?

SoulGlo on January 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM

CJ on January 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM

YES ! And we are already at homicide #6, in Toronto alone. Gosh, it’s working so well.

cableguy615 on January 26, 2011 at 9:06 PM

temporarily disabled

I heard a doctor from the center she is at say last night that “speach and thought” are the last abilities to return after similar head wounds. Notice they don’t get very specific about her current abilities aside from hand movements? God bless this woman and her family but she will never cast another vote in congress. Lets just hope her treatment is not compromised by this scam.

peacenprosperity on January 27, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Where’s the civility!

profitsbeard on January 27, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I think it’s an important question for Arizona which is shorting itself a representative while congress is in session but isn’t it their issue to resolve? It seems fairly obvious that Gifford isn’t speaking yet, nor are the doctors sure she ever will, so they should at least make provisions in case she can no longer communicate.

Zekecorlain on January 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Does anybody know why Erin Andrews was at that press conference?

SoulGlo on January 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Her Peeping Tom will be taking Giffords’ seat?

Never know with the Dems.

profitsbeard on January 27, 2011 at 12:51 PM

silvernana on January 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

we just more people added to the umemployment rolls, the budget deficit went from a projection of 1.3T to 1.5T, obama is sending radioactive nominees to the senate for critical positions but you are still worried about he goddamn birth certificate? get your head out of you ass and focus you moron. do you know how long it would take to litigate that issue IF you could find a court to take the case. i dont know if you birthers are right or wrong but i do know that any proof short of the hand of God writing it on a wall you will not get anything done on that issue. and even then the dems will still fight you. obama uses that as a way to distract people from his failures and to make them look unhinged. and like the stupid fucking cat you run off and start batting at that damn string instead of concentrating on solid issues that can get him thrown out of office in 2012.

chasdal on January 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM

What? Sanchez was only trying to get the seat before the Vietnamese steal it!

HondaV65 on January 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM

chasdal on January 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM

How come I can’t even type the word “Revolut1ion” … without intentionally misspelling it or it gets edited by the Alahfilter …

But you can type out the whole “F” word properly spelled?

There you go Allah – filter fail on YOUR part!!

HondaV65 on January 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM