Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on January 25, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Today’s entry comes from Jonathan Last at the Weekly Standard, who noticed this passage from New York Magazine’s profile of Barack Obama and his efforts to show humility and responsiveness after the stunning midterm defeat. On the humility front, Obama could use a little more work:

Obama didn’t know what he didn’t know, yet his self-confidence was so stratospheric that once, in the context of thinking about Emanuel’s replacement, he remarked in all seriousness, “You know, I’d make a good chief of staff.”

I think Don Rumsfeld would call that an unknown unknown.

Comments

“You know, I’d make a good chief of staff.”

No, you’d suck at that, as well.

Disturb the Universe on January 25, 2011 at 8:10 AM

wow, the arrogance of this man

he can’t lead a country let alone the white house…

cmsinaz on January 25, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Shame chiefs of staff don’t have private jets and can’t interrupt prime time TV at will. But for that…

rogerb on January 25, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Thinking about the ideological successor to Karl Marx…

mjbrooks3 on January 25, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Chief of Staff… does Domino’s have a Chief of Staff?

apostic on January 25, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I’m willing to demote him to chief of staff.

mizflame98 on January 25, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Mr. President, that position would be above your pay grade, also.

kingsjester on January 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I don’t think he would have made Hillary’s short list

his resume is a little on the thin side…

cmsinaz on January 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I can’t stand people like this when I meet them, and this guy is going to be in my face for the next two years.

DrStock on January 25, 2011 at 8:24 AM

The mirror should crack.

TimBuk3 on January 25, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Breaking: New Chief of Staff claims last November’s “shellacking” expected—looking for same results in 2012—thinks his President should establish residency and run for Mayor of Chicago.

Rovin on January 25, 2011 at 8:25 AM

When you have a guy who’s never held down a 9-5 job but thinks he’s a genius, he not only can’t do anything, but he thinks he can do everything and usually winds up making a fool of himself and messing up everything around him. That’s Obama in action.

SilentWatcher on January 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Almost overnight, Barack Obama overhauled his White House and rewrote much of the script. Now all he needs is a happy ending.

Clinton had an intern for that.

Disturb the Universe on January 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM

I think Dear Liar would make a good janitor — but I’m not sure even of that.

No offense to janitors intended.

rbj on January 25, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Obama is the One Obama has been waiting for!

forest on January 25, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I am the One I have been waiting for.

steebo77 on January 25, 2011 at 8:41 AM

An ego like that is very easy to manipulate … just keep stroking it and make him believe everything is his idea. The Marxist progressives found the perfect puppet.

darwin on January 25, 2011 at 8:45 AM

BREAKING NEWS:

O’Jesus doesn’t have to accomplish anything else legislatively in the next two years, lo over the next 6 years, or whatever.

You see the Progressives now have OBAMACARE and the Czars.

They now have total control over all aspects of our daily lives. THIS is why the SOTU speech is nothing more than a bunch of posturing/preening and lying for we serfs to digest.

<strong>BREAKING NEWS:
Wall Street Journal/Drudge annoints Paul Ryan “A STAR”.

It must be true, we must believe.Film at 11.

PappyD61 on January 25, 2011 at 8:45 AM

maybe a chief bottle washer, but certainly not chief of staff.

jbh45 on January 25, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Sociopath.

the_nile on January 25, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Obama will be the darling of the secular socialists long after his defeat in 2012. “America just didn’t get it” or “America wasn’t ready” will be the themes for the rest of his life.

Mojave Mark on January 25, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I agree with the President.

Mr. President, I think you should be your own chief of staff. It will be totally cool!

Really Right on January 25, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Whow! I didn’t know they had teleprompters for the Chief of Staff. Who’d a thunk it!

katablog.com on January 25, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Who is ObaMao kidding? The boychick in the WH has absolutely no executive skills.

He, who babbles about government “investments” has a mighty poor showing in his portfolio. (Good editorial below.)

onlineanalyst on January 25, 2011 at 9:16 AM

You know, Obama is really, really good at everything he does…..

Except competence. He sucks at that.

HBowmanMD on January 25, 2011 at 9:18 AM

The only accurate part of O’s fantasy memoirs comes in the titles or each: dreams and audacity. You can’t fault him for either of these qualities. He is 100% successful in promoting both.

onlineanalyst on January 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM

You know, I’d make a good chief of staff.

he probably said to GEN Petraeus, “You know, I’d make a good squad leader.”

ted c on January 25, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Chief of Staff to Barney Fife maybe!

dhunter on January 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM

[Comment deleted.]

Extrafishy on January 25, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Self-esteem absent any history of real accomplishment. There’s a word for that. Trying to think of it. Na, Nar, Narna. Narco. Nar something. Can’t think of it. :)

Paul-Cincy on January 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Truthfully, he’d be better suited for a support role, like CoS, than the one he has now. He’s a bright guy and a consummate campaigner, but he lacks the leadership qualities which would make him a chief executive.

martin.hale on January 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Extrafishy on January 25, 2011 at 10:03 AM

THAT has no business being posted here.

katablog.com on January 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Extrafishy on January 25, 2011 at 10:03 AM

THAT has no business being posted here.

katablog.com on January 25, 2011 at 10:07 AM

True, but it’s no worse than the left calling someone an Uncle Tom or an Oreo or House Negro. Although I’d like to think we’re better than that.

Paul-Cincy on January 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM

rogerb on January 25, 2011 at 8:14 AM

You mean he can’t walk and chew gum fly and poop on people’s heads at the same time?

Birds can…

Yoop on January 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Paul-Cincy on January 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I’m not sure what was objectionable. The fact that had Obama been born in the 17th century that he would likely have been a slave? That his preening self-importance would have made him a joke to the slave owners and overseers? The inference that he is, in fact, a possession of modern slave owners on the liberal plantation and little more than a puppet in the hands of others? The overweening sensitivity around here is stultifying. Yeah, I know, I don’t have to come here, blah, blah, blah.

SKYFOX on January 25, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Why does he need any staff at all? He can do everything!

NeighborhoodCatLady on January 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Obama! I seriously doubt you’re qualified to change the toilet paper in the bathrooms at your daughters school. Yeeeeeeeesh!

capejasmine on January 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM

“You know, I’d make a good chief of staff.”

So, then Obama would have to throw himself under the bus?

When you think about it though, that’s how these things always play out. In the end, there there is only ONE Czar.

logis on January 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Seems to me he’s just Soros’s chief of staff as it is.

Christian Conservative on January 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM

The longer quote is more interesting: The president’s friend and adviser Valerie Jarrett sometimes pointed out that not only had he never managed an operation, he’d never really had a nine-to-five job in his life. Obama didn’t know what he didn’t know, yet his self-confidence was so stratospheric that once, in the context of thinking about Emanuel’s replacement, he remarked in all seriousness, “You know, I’d make a good chief of staff.”

slickwillie2001 on January 25, 2011 at 10:42 AM

“Obama didn’t know what he didn’t know”slickwillie2001 on January 25, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Actually, if you shorten the quote it still says everything there will ever be to say about Obama — and about every other liberal who ever lived.

logis on January 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I’d be all for him becoming COS here at HA.

Maybe he could do something about the annoying audio in all

the freakin commercials that are

(simultaneously) running now.

He couldn’t frack up a good site any worse, could he?

OkieDoc on January 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I’m willing to demote him to chief of staff.

mizflame98 on January 25, 2011 at 8:17 AM

President Biden.

Amendment X on January 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I like the idea of The One doing both jobs — as long as he keeps his golf schedule, he’d do a lot less harm. And double the chance for OOTD’s!

EconomicNeocon on January 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Big Me

Just add Mentos…

Christien on January 25, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I’ve said it before and I will say it again. Biden was chosen as the Vice Resident simply as impeachment insurance. Who in their right mind would voluntarily impeach to put that buffoon in charge?

Even the Lefties have enough braincells to repeatedly reject his presidential bids.

PJ Emeritus on January 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM

He’s a bright guy

DON’T fall for the Left’s claim that Giggles is TEH GEEEENNNUUUUSSSS. He’s not. He’s a product of Affirmitive Action, and the end result of the soft bigotry of low expectations. Why do you think his college transcripts remain off-limits? I think they would show, at best, a B – C student including “adjustments” for “racial hardship.” At best.

Giggles has demonstrated time and again that he’s simply not smart, nevermind “TEH MOSTEST BRILLIANTEST PRESIDENT EVAH” that the Left continually tries to paint him as.

Don’t fall for it.

crazy_legs on January 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM

President Biden.

Which, at this point, isn’t a bad thing. At least he’d be funny, unlike the jug-eared thin-skinned narcicist.

crazy_legs on January 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM

It’s All About Me (Obama Version)*

*(Sung to the tune of it has to be you)

Makin’ my moves, turnin’ the wheel
Trying to hide all the things that I feel
Playin’ the game, passin’ the blame
Another defense, another excuse
Pointing the finger where I choose

It’s all about me, has to be me
I’m better than anyone can’t you see?
I can Make everything better

Has to be me, has to be me yet I’m so friggin’ blind that I can’t see..

Stop these Risin’ Sea’s, it has to be meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Thank You!….I’ll be here all week!!
Now don’t forget to tip your waitress, and drive home safely!

Tim_CA on January 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM

The new Love Story–Obama and his mirror!

In all honesty, Obama WOULD make a good chief of staff–let him hire Bill Clinton as Press Secretary and White House Liaison, and Monica Lewinsky to her former position, and all will be peaches and cream the Oval Office, and the budget will be balanced.

Steve Z on January 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM

“You know, I’d make a good chief of staff.”

Aside from not realizing that he is a cheif of about everything, or “important stuff”, he probably sees the chief of staff having “stuff” to do that he does not have.

If he were just the chief of staff, it would be just like he was a community organizer again. He knows how to do that “stuff”.

If he were chief of staff, there would be less work to delegate to others to do and he could still do the fun stuff, like telling people with money in person that they are going to have to give it to those he represents, so bad things do not happen to them.

If he were chief of staff he would not have to entertain himself all day with playing basketball with his playmates, watching sports and movies, planning vacations and other “stuff”. He would not have to go get his picture pretending to do “stuff” or read speeches that ther wrote for him.

If he were chief of staff he would not have Michelle on his back reminding him of how much effort and time the best of the best socilist and communist were put into him since he was a child so that he could fullfill the dream of a socialist America. He would not have to hear how hard it will be to live down being married to the worst progressive president the nation has known and how disapointing it will be not being proud of America for the second time in her life.

There is a plus to being president and not being chief of staff. When his four years are up, he can move to Kenya and become the president there. It is already set up for him. He belongs to a Kenyan tribe, Kenya accepts him as one of theirs not to mentioned those sealed records about his birth. He already has experience campagning for president in Kenya. He would be a shoo in as a former president of America. Michelle would be happy too. Not only could they do as they want, she would wear the clothes she likes without embarrasing a nation.

Franklyn on January 25, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Obowma, the Chief of Daft.

dthorny on January 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM