Breaking: Blast at Moscow airport reportedly kills 10; Update: 31 dead, 130 injured; Update: Video added; Update: FSB seeking 3 accomplices

posted at 9:30 am on January 24, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

This is just coming across the BBC wire and details are sketchy, but a blast has reportedly killed 10 people at Moscow’s busiest airport, Domodedovo.  Early hints are that it might be a suicide bombing, but take that with a grain of salt at this point:

Moscow’s Domodedovo airport – the busiest in the Russian capital – has been rocked by an explosion.

At least 10 people have been killed in the blast and that dozens more are reported to have been injured.

Reports suggest a suicide bomber was behind the blast.

The Russian Federation has fought a years-long war in the Caucasus against Islamist separatists.  On occasion, those groups have staged terrorist attacks in Moscow and other parts of the country.  Those battles have been quiet lately, though, and Russia has other sources of unrest that could have resulted in an attack.  It also could still be an accidental explosion in the terminal.

We’ll update this post as more details emerge.

Update: Reuters also reports 10 dead, 20 injured, and that it was a suicide bomber:

At least 10 people were killed and 20 injured in a suicide bomb blast at Moscow’s Domodedovo airport Monday, Interfax news agency reported.

Update II: The AP was a little more cautious, saying that “no immediate word” on a cause had been given and not offering anything more specific than “at least 20 casualties.”

Update III: At the same link, the AP now says 23 are dead and are now including the likelihood of it being a suicide-bomber attack.

Update IV: The AP now puts the death toll to 31, with 130 injured.  They also note that Domodedovo had a reputation for lax security:

Domodedovo is generally regarded as Moscow’s most up-to-date airport, but its security procedures have been called into question.

In 2004, two suicide bombers were able to board planes at Domodedovo by buying tickets illegally from airport personnel. The bombers blew themselves up in mid-air, killing all 90 people aboard the two flights.

At least according to today’s reports, it’s also the busiest airport in Moscow, which makes it an even bigger target.

Update V: Reportedly, this is video taken right after the blast. Looks like it was taken from a cell phone; it’s pretty grainy.

Update VI: The Russian security service FSB says that they are now looking for three potential accomplices, and that the actions are suspected of originating with terrorists from the North Caucasus, where the Islamist separatists operate:

A criminal case has been opened into the apparent terror attack. Police are searching for three suspects in connection with the blast after watching airport security camera footage.

Three men who have been living in the Russian capital for a certain period of time reportedly took part in organizing the blast, a source told Interfax news agency. He also noted that these three were believed to be Russian North Caucasus militants and might have been somehow connected to two women, one of whom blew herself up at a practice range club in Moscow on December 31 and the other was later arrested in the city of Volgograd.

Reportedly, the FSB knew that an attack was imminent, but didn’t know where or when it would hit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I noticed the same thing. I wonder if they thought that there would be another hit on first responders, I’ve heard that is not unheard of.

Cindy Munford on January 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Well if it’s a secondary attack that keeps them all from helping, then I would expect them to be running in panic. They are just shuffling around. It’s surreal.

Ever see Brazil? A terrorist bomb goes off in a restaurant and most everyone not injured just sort of goes on with their business.

flyfishingdad on January 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I blame Bush.

Seriously, tho. Thoughts and prayers to the Russian people at this time.

BTW. . . care to join us in some terrorist ass-kicking now?

RedNewEnglander on January 24, 2011 at 3:35 PM

flyfishingdad on January 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Good point, I think hillbillyjim, has it right.

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Cindy Munford on January 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Ed & AP: About the embedded video you have posted here. It’s been flagged on YouTube as inappropriate for under 18 years of age. However, anyone can view it for this post directly without censure. The video does appear to show people dead on the floor and people walk about and around them. Just making a point.

This is absolutely horrible and my heart goes out to Moscow and Russians.

Sultry Beauty on January 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Sultry Beauty on January 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Education is a many-faceted thing. Burying our collective heads in the sand hasn’t gotten us anywhere.

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Anyone who views a video of a terrorist attack and is too stupid to realize it is going to be horrible, is too ignorant to pay heed to a content warning.

csdeven on January 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Please don’t insult me. I didn’t ask them to take it down. I didn’t ask them to not report it. I was merely pointing out the YouTube IS allowing the video to be watch.. but for Content Warning towards people under 18. Children already watch enough violence and play enough violent games. I watched the videos of some of the beheadings and it had an affect on my psyche but I made an adult choice to watch them and don’t regret it. Having said that, I wouldn’t have my 13 year old son sit down and watch it with me. I’m sorry. That’s not the kind of education he needs at his age.

Sultry Beauty on January 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM

The world can be an ugly place
We humans can be an ugly race
Should we shield our kids from the worst
Or teach them to triumph first?

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

csdeven on January 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Please again. I was pointing out that if you DIRECTLY to YouTube you HAVE to verify that you’re 18 years of age before it will be played. The above embedded version, if you click it… you watch… no content warning given. That was my ONLY point.

Sultry Beauty on January 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Or desensitizing them by showing them horrible things over and over and over that it eventually ends up having no meaning.

Sultry Beauty on January 24, 2011 at 4:34 PM

BTW Hill Billy, you sound like the kind of guy who can’t wait for the 5 o’clock news.

Sultry Beauty on January 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Please don’t insult me.

I did no such thing.

I didn’t ask them to take it down. I didn’t ask them to not report it.

Nowhere did I insinuate that you did.

That is your choice to make, as it is for every parent. I apologize if you felt insulted, as that was not my intent.
I am sorry.

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Sultry Beauty on January 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Nice.

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Sultry Beauty on January 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM

BTW, this is probably the tackiest thing I have seen on this site in a good while. Congratulations.

Feel better now?

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM

In case you missed my point, Sultry Beauty, I will elucidate.

I believe that we have more to lose than to gain by shielding our youth, AND OUR SUPPOSED ADULTS, from the unadulterated truth.

The world is a hard place.

If you are still offended, please reread the thread.

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM

My sympathy to the victims and their families.

dogsoldier on January 24, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Why has Obama not made a statement about this? About unity in the face of terrorist acts? About the need to work together to make the world a safer place to live?

(Maybe he has and I missed it, but given how the press would fawn over any announcement showing his l33t leadership skillz… I doubt it.)

Skywise on January 24, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I wonder if there’s a teachable moment here.

BobMbx on January 24, 2011 at 5:33 PM

ELIMINATE THE TSA. Security Lines are a bigger threat for mass casualties than a plane hijack

PrezHussein on January 24, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Meanwhile, Vladimir Putin, focusing on the “real” enemy, continues with Cold War II against the US without batting an eye.

R. Waher on January 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM

That was my ONLY point.

Sultry Beauty on January 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Okay. I thought you were being priggish. Sorry bout that.

csdeven on January 25, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Pooty-poot says retribution is “inevitable”. Okey-dokee then, let the Russians have another crack at them.

Bet they don’t louse it up this time.

Mr. Grump on January 25, 2011 at 10:12 AM

If a crazy person or crazy political groups want to kill people there are plenty of soft targets that they can hit. In Russia I remember the school house and the movie theater murders. And, people ask me why I dislike Islam.

read this list of such attacks, that end in 2004:

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 10:42 AM

The world is a hard place.

If you are still offended, please reread the thread.

hillbillyjim on January 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I agree with you. People need to see more of these things so that they may get in touch with the REALITY of the world.
I am surrounded by death all of the time here on our ranch.
Depending upon what day you see me on, I may seem cold-hearted about the death of animas & people.
But you miss the day I held a dying baby calf in my arms, sobbing & trying to blow air into its lungs through its nose, desperately trying to keep it alive.
My husband may also seem indifferent to many over the deaths of creatures, animal & human.
And yet you would have missed the day he sobbed over the death of a cow who had given us her all.
Surrounded by death, you become somewhat accustomed to it & qwhen it does happen, you are not an inconsolable hysterical moron.
You act rationally in the face of emergency & tragedy.
In fact, I would argue that by being out of touch with death & destruction, one cannot fully appreciate the beauty & value of life.

Badger40 on January 25, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Bet they don’t louse it up this time.

Mr. Grump on January 25, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Not taking that bet. The first time around they made us look like Mr.Rodgers.

Unless they take a ‘clean slate’ approach to the place…

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM