Video: One Gosnell victim speaks

posted at 12:00 pm on January 23, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

CNN interviews LaToya Ransome, one of the victims of Kermit Gosnell, who faces eight counts of murder and other charges for his gruesome abortion practice in Philadelphia. Ransome, clearly reluctant to be on camera, relates how Gosnell’s work ended up making her so ill that she had to have open-heart surgery and disabled her. Ransome says that the death penalty is too easy for him and wants him to get life in prison instead:

CNN’s Martin Savidge introduces the segment rather oddly, saying that Gosnell is accused of “destroying viable fetuses.” Certainly Gosnell faces charges of performing illegal third-trimester abortions, but he faces murder charges for killing babies, not “viable fetuses.”  The babies Gosnell murdered survived to birth, which means they no longer were “fetuses” at all.  They were, both legally and morally, live infants requiring care.  Instead, Gosnell and his staff stabbed them with scissors or cut their throats to kill them.

Other victims are also speaking out:

In one 1999 case, prosecutors said, 20-year-old Marie Smith was sent home after a Gosnell abortion unaware that he had been unable to remove the entire fetus from her uterus. Days later, vomiting and with a swollen abdomen and severe infection, Smith was taken to a hospital, where she was rushed into surgery.

Her mother, Johnnie Mae Smith, said she was shocked at the “nasty and dirty, filthy” conditions in the clinic. When her daughter took ill days later, she called Gosnell.

“I said, ‘What did you do to my daughter? … My daughter’s about to die,’ Smith said. “He said, ‘Take her to the hospital.’”

Gosnell turned up at the hospital with his checkbook, she said, aiming to settle immediately. Instead, she chased him away, vowing to sue. Later, her daughter got $3,000, after lawyer fees, from a $5,000 settlement.

It looks like one early consequence is that Gosnell has to find a new lawyer:

Defense lawyer William J. Brennan, who represented Gosnell during the investigation, said Gosnell “feels he has provided a general care medical facility in a fairly impoverished area for four decades.”

“That’s his belief,” Brennan said, “and he’s entitled to it.”

Gosnell told the magistrate he’s looking to retain another lawyer, and Brennan confirmed he’s not representing Gosnell anymore.

“I wish him well, but I am not taking this case,” Brennan said. “The doctor and I have had our run.”

Kevin McCullough argues today that the widespread revulsion created by the Gosnell case should cause people to take a much closer look at the abortion industry:

He was a monster. He was out of control. He deserves justice to the fullest measure–even if that were to mean the state took his life as a result.

It was as I was reading the details of the procedures he seemed to prefer to perform that I was suddenly struck by an overwhelming question that has not yet gone from my mind.

Why are we so outraged now?

The truth is, the procedure Gosnell preferred is not new. Third term, especially “late term,” abortions are performed the same way in overwhelming numbers.

Commonly referred to as “partial birth abortions” the procedure begins the same was as the “Gosnell abortion.” Inducing labor and beginning the delivery of the child is where most of the children are lost in both procedures. As many as 75% of the children lose their lives in the process of early induced labor. Leaving roughly 25% of the children involved to have their lives terminated through an additional step.

In partial birth abortion, the child is delivered to within two inches of being free of the birth canal. In the “Gosnell” he delivered the child completely.

But from that point on, little difference between the procedures existed.

Be sure to read it all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

WORDPRESS JUST VAPORIZED MY POST ON THIS SUBJECT. I appreciate all who stopped by. I work with several other bloggers, and hopefully I will be able to share my findings again.

Mutnodjmet on January 23, 2011 at 7:48 PM

What she did was every bit as evil as this doctor. She is not a victim, she doesn’t need my sympathies, She needs the Lord’s grace and mercy. In fact she has already received some of both as have we all.

Kjeil on January 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Amen.

JannyMae on January 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Sorry to keep posting, but I think this is an important point. Tiller also got away with murdering a young woman.

Don’t apologize, lady. This is witness in all its glory.

warbaby on January 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM

OMG. Kyrie Elieson.

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Another winner – and may I submit that sympathy for “single mothers” be similarly shunned. “You made your bed, now lie in it” would seem to apply to both.

This thread has brought out some of the most passionate and articulate feeling I’ve ever encountered on Hot Air. Bravi.

warbaby on January 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM

As the adoptive parent of a child whose mother chose life, I salute both of you.

Abortion is the easy way to avoid taking responsibility for your actions. It’s also, quite clearly, the only CHOICE that the pro-death crowd wants women with an unexpected pregnancy to make. The bottom line is not “protecting women’s right to choose” it’s the almighty dollar. That’s why they don’t want ultrasound machines in abortion clinics. That’s why they don’t want standards for abortion clinics. That’s why they don’t report cases of statutory rape. They don’t give a DAMN about women, they want as many abortions as possible to take place, because they make a profit from them.

They are scum, without a doubt, and this doctor is just a perfect illustration of what they are all about.

JannyMae on January 23, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Live Action President Lila Rose talks from her hotel room in Washington, DC the day before the March for Life… Smart and super hot btw

Nearly Nobody on January 23, 2011 at 7:56 PM

May I interrupt this thread with yet another example of Leftist hypocrisy in news coverage.

At Ft. Hood, Nidal Hasan mowed down and killed twice as many victims as Loughner. One of his victims was shot in the head, yet his courageous story of touch-and-go struggles have not received the coverage that Gabby Giffords has received.

I passed this along to “Tips,” but apparently it is not as important as the saga of Keith Olbermann, who isn’t worth the time of day.

onlineanalyst on January 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Addendum:
Tiller was excommunicated from his Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod parish in Kansas for unrepentant sin, and welcomed with open arms into his liberal homosex/abortion loving Evangelical Lutheran Church in America parish where he was cut down.

“Vengeance is Mine sayeth The Lord, I will repay.”

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I left that liberal Evangelical Lutheran Church because of such things.

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:04 PM

OMG. Kyrie Elieson.

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Lovely. Have you ever heard this?

Goethe is reported to have said, upon first hearing the music of J.S. Bach, words to the effect that it was like “Seeing into the mind of God himself as he considered the universe.” And I concur.

Through all life’s dangers, toils and snares, this music has served as direct evidence of the existence of God, and I will be forever grateful for the ability to hear it.

warbaby on January 23, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I left that liberal Evangelical Lutheran Church because of such things.

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I pray and hope the Missouri Synod or Wisconsin Synod accepted you because of God’s Good Grace.

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 8:15 PM

The horror stories involving Gosnell seem to go back a long way. He wasn’t operating in secret. How did George Tiller attract so much attention from anti-abortion activists while Gosnell apparently operated unnoticed?

RightOFLeft on January 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM

My guess… What Tiller did was legal and therefore wasn’t hidden. What this man did wasn’t, and there are indications that no one wanted to know, out of fear of infringing on someone’s right to choose.

That said, many pro-lifers do keep records of men like this. The deranged ones probably don’t look that deeply into an abortion doctor though, so it’s unlikely that those like Gosnell are more likely to be targeted for murder. I would think the crazies are simply targeting all abortion doctors, especially those performing late term ones.

Esthier on January 23, 2011 at 8:16 PM

It should be noted that Christine was a young woman with Down Syndrome. She had been raped.

Vera on January 23, 2011 at 7:48 PM

There are few details on this case available, but this last note only makes Tiller more sympathetic to me. The idea that a mentally handicapped woman would be forced carry her rapist’s baby strikes me as monstrous.

According to this report, a grand jury failed to indict Tiller, and the medical board cleared him of wrongdoing.

RightOFLeft on January 23, 2011 at 8:17 PM

warbaby on January 23, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I am a Lutheran. I heard this.
This is most certainly true.

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM

onlineanalyst on January 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM

With all due respect, the congresswoman is getting more attention because of her job title, not because of how she was injured. Had she simply gotten into a car accident, she’d still be getting more media attention that this man. Maybe it’s not fair, but it happens all the time. No one published news stories about my grandfather as he died, nor did I expect it. But when Reagan died, of similar problems, it naturally made a bigger splash.

Esthier on January 23, 2011 at 8:19 PM

G’night. I am going to bed and getting up at two AM.

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 8:25 PM

RightOFLeft on January 23, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I’m not seeing why it’s worse for a mentally handicapped woman than a woman with full cognitive abilities. Without intending to be crass, I would think the reverse is true.

Also, you say forced as though someone is literally holding her down until she pops the baby out, but how do we know this woman actually made the decision to abort, knowing fully well what that meant?

Obviously a woman like that being raped is horrible, but an abortion doesn’t undue any of that and doesn’t even necessarily help. Women who get raped often decide to keep their babies, and many who decide not to regret the decision. There’s no “win” in there.

Esthier on January 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM

…may I submit that sympathy for “single mothers” be similarly shunned.

warbaby on January 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Agreed. Conservatives, in their zeal to support the decision not to abort one’s child, often think they must not say anything negative about unwed mothers and their self-defeating choices. The decline in standards–the recognition that the only “safe sex” is married sex–has very real consequences.

DrMagnolias on January 23, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I left that liberal Evangelical Lutheran Church because of such things.

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:04 PM

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I left because it was too liberal, I am now a member of a non-denominational evangelical church. Bible based and very happy to be a member. I could not take the direction of the ELCA. They didn’t even believe God’s word anymore. They lost many from my church and many ended up in the church I am in after trying several others. I think the Missouri Synod is teaching right, it wasn’t an option where I am.

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Our Father

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM

What Tiller did was legal and therefore wasn’t hidden

Actually, Tiller’s abortions weren’t legal either. The legal cut off for elective abortions in Kansas is 22 weeks.

First of all, he killed her. Second of all, she was in her third trimester. The child could have been delivered alive. There was absolutely no reason that the child had to die. Christine could have had her baby at a hospital with proper medical care, instead of a filthy clinic.

As for the medical board/ grand jury… The entire state was bought out with his blood money. The evidence of his wrong doing was so flagrant that you would have to be completely blind to not see it. In fact, the doctor who he brought in to rubber stamp his abortions admitted that she was doing exactly that. It didn’t matter. Abortion was king in Kansas.

Vera on January 23, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I just hit a thread on Gosnell at HuffPoo, those poor twisted people think it is all on us conservatives… what happened in that clinic. We forced them to go to bad people and the Republicans were in charge when this went down. Do they have hearts? Not one of them said maybe late term abortions are too risky, actually the opposite, they should allow them because you can see cleft lips on scanners till they are bigger. They believe a baby should be shredded due to a cleft lip! I need to never go to huffpoo again. I always think they will see some truth to things, no they always blame us for everything. I pray for their babies, they will never see the light of day.

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Keep praying for their salvation. They need it.

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Vera on January 23, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Yes, elective abortions. Clearly the jury believed the abortions he performed were not legal. Whether or not that’s true, in effect, what the man did was legal. He went before a court and was not put in jail and in fact was cleared of all wrong doing. So the legal system had already decided it would do nothing to him.

Whether or not he was morally guilty or whatever, is tangential to my comment about his actions being legal, because whether or not he was breaking the law, he was treated as a law-abiding citizen and for all intents and purposes of my comment therefore was one.

Esthier on January 23, 2011 at 8:43 PM

RightOFLeft on January 23, 2011 at 8:17 PM
The baby was also innocent of any crime.
Two wrongs don’t…
BTW: Tiller was a blood-thirsty viper who became rich through the murder of innocents.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 23, 2011 at 8:44 PM

You know I am kinda dumb and all, but after having two kids how is it that a chick can/would have a late-term abortion? Why not go through the delivery process, kid is alive and is taken care of at an NICU? AAaahhh…nevermind.

ProudPalinFan on January 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM

It’s bad enough in either case.

What I meant to convey is that if abortion were illegal, she would be forced to carry her rapist’s baby. That’s the situation many (not all) anti-abortion advocates would create.

I don’t know if she would be capable of really understanding her situation, so I can’t comment on that.

Esthier on January 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM

There’s a least-bad outcome: that she, or her guardian if she can’t make the decision herself, has the option to terminate the pregnancy. Any other outcome subordinates her to her attacker, which is just a further form of rape.

RightOFLeft on January 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM

You’ve got to be kidding me. There are doctors performing cleft palate surgery all over the world; some minor and cosmetic, some that require more than one procedure.

They can be adopted, ask ME about it…eaci.com

ProudPalinFan on January 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Keep praying for their salvation. They need it.

OmahaConservative on January 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Your right, they need it.

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM

They can be adopted, ask ME about it…eaci.com

ProudPalinFan on January 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM

The repair surgery is done all the time. Some twerp on huffington post thought it warranted killing your child to rid yourself of the trauma of dealing with a baby with a cleft palate. I am not kidding I could not believe the comments after that, very ugly people over there.

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM

The story needs to be in the forefront.

I demand Barack Hussein Obama to publicly state how he justifies his support for late term abortions.

I demand Hillary Rodham Clinton to publicly state how she justifies and supports late term abortions.

I demand that the American Taxpayer state why it, as a People and as a whole, is willing to FUND abortion in any form.

Repeal Obamacare. Obamacare funds these doctors.

Key West Reader on January 23, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Good evening,

I have to stop now; thanks to all for an astonishing experience here.

God bless us, every one.

warbaby on January 23, 2011 at 9:00 PM

No. That outcome leaves her with the knowledge that she killed another human being. Of course, that assumes that she lives, which obviously Christine did not. Late term abortion is much more risky than childbirth, especially when it is performed in an out-patient clinic.

Tiller’s procedure involved killing the child via a shot in the heart (so the women couldn’t change their minds) and sticking seaweed in their cervix. He then sent them, unsupervised, to a hotel to labor. They returned the next day for more sea weed, and then went back to the hotel. Finally, they delivered their dead child in the basement of Tiller’s house of horrors. Christine never made it that far.

There’s no question that she would have been better served in a safe, sanitary hospital.

Vera on January 23, 2011 at 9:00 PM

You haven’t presented any evidence of these assertions. I trust a grand jury to objectively decide the facts than I trust Operation Rescue.

You’re in conspiracy theory territory here. Are you saying he bribed the grand jury and the Kansas Board of Healing Arts? Who and how much?

RightOFLeft on January 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Vera on January 23, 2011 at 9:00 PM

And this guy is someone they idolize? I have no words, my heart hurts. Your all such good people, thank you for sharing. G-night.

wi farmgirl on January 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM

That’s a slightly different subject than discussing abortions past the point of viability.

I personally would allow a rape victim to make that decision, even though I would still consider abortion the worst option available to her.

Well, it goes directly to the question of whether or not her mental status is relevant in the Tiller discussion. You claimed it made him more sympathetic. I’m just arguing that, that isn’t necessarily true. It could be that he’s significantly less sympathetic because she was handicapped.

RightOFLeft on January 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Pregnant women aren’t innately subordinates. Why those who argue in favor of abortion frequently suggest otherwise eludes me. And I don’t agree that preventing a woman from terminating her pregnancy is anything like rape. That paints an even worse view of pregnancy.

I support a rape victim’s ability to choose here, but I do so only in a sense of tragic restitution, to a lesser extent the way I do capital punishment.

Esthier on January 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Abortion was king in Kansas.

Vera on January 23, 2011 at 8:34 PM

It was designed that way by current HHS Sec Kathleen Sebelius (former Democrat Gov of Kansas).

In 2006, Sebelius vetoed a bill that would require more accurate reporting of abortions statistics to state officials, including detailed reports on late-term abortions. Sebelius refused to sign the bill: The governor also said she wouldn’t sign it because she claimed the measure “will force women to provide intimate, sensitive health information to the government.” (lifenews.com)

Yet Sebelius has no problem letting Obamacare intrude into women’s intimate, sensitive health information, or their finances.

TN Mom on January 23, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I’m saying that he had friends in high places. The medical board made their determination without so much as seeing the autopsy reports for Christin.

Vera on January 23, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Very high places.

Vera on January 23, 2011 at 9:28 PM

I thought sympathetic was a more measured description than something like “justified” or “right.” It’s entirely subjective, so I get why we would react differently to how her disability affects the case. The rape is more of a mitigating factor to me than her disability. Her disability only adds another dimension of tragedy to a horrible situation.

Pregnant women aren’t innately subordinates.

No, but most pregnancies aren’t involuntary.

It only paints a grim picture of pregnancies that result from rape.

Esthier on January 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I think I agree with that.

RightOFLeft on January 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Where’s all the normal militant “moderates” screaming about how backwards social cons are?

Not a peep. Not one little peep.

They sure make a lot of noise when the truth is kept behind closed doors though, don’t they?

Saltysam on January 23, 2011 at 10:27 PM

No, what’s mostrous is assuming that abortion is some cure-all that will erase not only the memory of the rape, but any subsequent consequences as well.

A human being, unborn, is a human being regardless of the circumstances of his birth. To murder an unborn child because his father was a rapist does not liberate the woman nor punish the rapist.

Counseling, coupled with actual resources on options for either raising (or in the case of mentally disabled persons) puting a child up for adoption are far less mostrous than killing a child.

I completely disagree with that. Subjecting her to an unnatural, potentially deadly, or potentially sterilizing procedure such as abortion makes her a further victim. Her body’s been violated once, so let’s do it again by sucking her baby out of her womb in pieces and pretend that’s the salvo she needs.

Abortion in instances of rape is the same as abortion coerced by the father of a child who isn’t a rapist: both get the men off the hook for the actions they committed. Both put the moral and physical consequences of abortion on the woman and unborn child. THAT’S the crime.

Here’s an exit question for my liberal pro-abortion friends: where can the women who visited Gosnell’s clinic go to get their reproductive freedom back?

englishqueen01 on January 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM

The lack of interest in this story by the usual “pro-choicers” is very telling. There are a few tonight trying to defend the practice of abortion and I suppose I have a tiny shred of respect for them not entirely running away…but the depravity of what went on is too much to even attemp a defense.

thevastlane on January 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM

attempt not attemp/

thevastlane on January 24, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Gosnell Victim? She went to him.

Don’t care why. She made her choice and must suffer consequence.

Caststeel on January 24, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Gosnell Victim? She went to him.

Don’t care why. She made her choice and must suffer consequence.

Except that the left told her by legalizing abortion, it would be “safe”…and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had pro-abortion lefties tell me all the studies about abortion being linked to sterility and other problems (e.g. cancer, subsequent miscarriages) are “false” or “biased.”

I want them to explain to me how legalization made abortion “safe” for these women, and — as I asked above — where they go to get their reproductive freedom back, since Gosnell took it from them.

This is indefensible. Any person who attempts to defend Gosnell is just as vile as he is.

englishqueen01 on January 24, 2011 at 6:15 AM

NOW has determined that these women are not really women…

right2bright on January 24, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Gosnell Victim? She went to him.

Don’t care why. She made her choice and must suffer consequence.

Caststeel on January 24, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Are you really that stupid? Really?
So if you go to a doctor, and he botches the operation, it’s your fault?
If you go to a mechanic and he ruins your car…it’s your fault?
If you cross a street in a crosswalk, with a green light, and a car runs the red light and hits you, it’s your fault for stepping into the street?
If you take your child to a pediatrician, and the wrong medicine is given him, it’s your fault?
Well I’ll be…what an interesting way at looking at life, it is always the victims fault.
It should would make the courts less crowded…Hey, you shouldn’t have put a bank on the corner, it’s your fault it got robbed…

right2bright on January 24, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Thanks to a tech-savvy friend, my original post was salvaged.

TEA PARTY TARGET: Gosnell’s Little Clinic of Horrors

It provides reasons why the Philadelphia Tea Party should make this a focus, as well as a summary of the Grand Jury report findings. For example:

Pennsylvania Department of Health – did not audit the facility regularly (only once a decade) nor did it follow-up on violations (after all, Dr. Honest promised to fix them). That came to an end in 1993, when Governor Tom Ridge put an end to even this amount of review, because “it would put a barrier to women getting abortions.” Even when a doctor hand-delivered a complaint that he was regularly treating clinic patients for a venereal disease contracted at Gosnell’s filthy facility, the Pennsylvania Department of Health did nothing. The department also failed to act to a report about Mongar’s death. Only after the police, and their story hit the press, did the department act — closing the clinic within three weeks and lawyering-up at tax-payer expense.

Pennsylvania Department of State: Is in charge of individual medical licenses and oversees physicians, so this Department of State could acted quickly to revoke Gosnell’s paperwork and stop his practice cold. It did nothing about Gosnell after repeated complaints — including a detailed account of facility conditions and Gosnell’s practices by a former employee, and a report that followed on the heels of a lawsuit settled on the behalf of the family of a 22-year old patient that died at Gosnell’s hands. After four separate, detailed accounts of what was occurring at Gosnell’s facility, the lead attorney dismissed them as meaningless and indicated their was “no pattern of conduct.”

Mutnodjmet on January 24, 2011 at 9:22 AM

That anyone is willing to defend abortions, late term or not, is very telling especially when confronted with the visuals of Gosnell’s house of horror. I’ve noticed in a lot of newspaper accounts, they don’t paint the full picture of his ‘procedures’ like the little feet in the jars or bags full of tissue in the freezer. If they don’t look at the horror, it’s almost like it never happened. Who in the PA DoH was on the take from this guy? They would also be guilty of murder.

Kissmygrits on January 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

I can’t say I feel much empathy for the woman in the clip, but not every woman who went to Gosnell went willingly. I’m not sure if I got the link from here or Michelle’s site, but it’s been reported that Gosnell would do an abortion on an non-consenting minor, so long as he got his money. I read specifically about a 17yo, if I remember correctly, who was brought to the clinic by a family member, and did not consent. The staff stripped her, hit her, and sedated her into unconsciousness – and she awoke to find the abortion had already been carried out.

We’ll never know how many had this butchery done to them and their children against their will. It just adds to the sickness that he would do this at all – or that family members would do this to their daughters, granddaughters, or nieces. So while the ones that went willingly to this animal – and kept him in business for decades – garner no sympathy in my mind, my heart aches for the ones that were forced to get an abortion in Gosnell’s chop shop. They’re victims too.

Anna on January 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM

The story I was thinking of is on Michelle’s front page. I remembered incorrectly, she was 15, not 17.

Anna on January 24, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Are you telling me that she allowed her daughter to be “treated” there, even when she saw these disgusting conditions?!

Shame on you, Mommy.

disa on January 24, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Kjeil on January 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM
Amen.

JannyMae on January 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Tell it to Robyn Reid. And thanks for your compassion.

Shay on January 24, 2011 at 10:25 AM

warbaby on January 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I agree.
We have romanticized single & divorced parenthood in general.
People should have to feel the consequences of this decision.

Badger40 on January 24, 2011 at 10:41 AM

JannyMae on January 23, 2011 at 7:55 PM

It’s not just about women and money. Abortion is part of a progressive utopian vision. They realize that they can’t support massive numbers of people in a welfare/redistributive state. So an early step in any planned economy is a reduction in population, starting with groups that they see as less productive or inferior.

That’s why China has a 1 child policy. They recognize taht Communism can’t support a population the size of China’s. And that’s why progressives support abortion. They look at it as a way to reduce welfare costs. Oddly, the groups targeted by these policies also vote for the continuation of those policies.

hawksruleva on January 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Anna on January 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Agreed, how can a 14 y/o be held accountable for an abortion her parents made her get? Or worse held them down until the sedation took affect. It is so heart breaking. Even back when Roe vs Wade came about I was just graduating high school. We all thought it was our right to do what we wanted with our bodies. It changed for me 6 years later when I was pregnant with my first child. When you feel that childs life in your belly you do everything possible to nurture life. I feel for the people that thought they had no other choice but to abort their babies. I know women that did and they always had such regret.

wi farmgirl on January 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Ransome is not a victim–she was an active participant in the death of an infant and just happened to take collateral damage herself. In that light, she should have NO say in the accused’s punishment if he is convicted.

zoyclem on January 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM

hawksruleva on January 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Yes progressives such as Hillary Clinton, and Margaret Sanger. Hillary’s hero by the way. Planned Parenthood is a death machine.

wi farmgirl on January 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Our society wants to have it both ways: Today’s women are strong, independent, and equal to men in every sense. They make their own decisions and take the consequences.

However, our society seems to say, mothers who choose to abort their babies are not responsible for their babies’ deaths. Any laws that require informed consent and the explaining ultrasound images to the mother would only deepen her panic. She isn’t able to process much information, so leave her alone.

I don’t think we can have it both ways — if we women want to stand on our own two feet in life, we must be as interested in our responsibilities as in our rights.

I’m not talking about very young teens who are coerced into abortion, but about women who are old enough to be held accountable for their decisions. If you go to an abortionist, you are no better than an abortionist.

KyMouse on January 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Tell it to Robyn Reid. And thanks for your compassion.

Shay on January 24, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Completely different circumstance. I have all the compassion I could possibly muster for Robyn Reid, and your sarcasm is very misplaced.

JannyMae on January 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Are you really that stupid? Really?
So if you go to a doctor, and he botches the operation, it’s your fault?
If you go to a mechanic and he ruins your car…it’s your fault?

right2bright on January 24, 2011 at 6:36 AM

When it comes to medical procedures, there are always risks. Sometimes outcomes are not good, even with the best surgeons. You apparently don’t understand the difference between negligence/malpractice and normal risk. I suggest you look into the concept, and educate yourself. You’re the one looking stupid here.

Your equivalencies are false. The woman in this case went to this doctor to have her unborn baby killed. She knew what she was doing was evil, and she knew it carried a risk. She chose to take the risk.

The equivalent would be someone who stepped into the street on the green light, knowing there was someone running the red, so she could sue the driver of the car. In that case, she would not be a victim when she was seriously injured.

JannyMae on January 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Fox has live streaming of the march for life on its website.

Vera on January 24, 2011 at 1:25 PM

According to the grand jury report, the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania did not report the frequent and obvious neglegence they witnessed with former Gosnell patients. They could have, should have done something about this – but they were silent. Numerous women went to HUP for treatment after having been obviously mauled by this monster’s operation.

Whenever I or anyone in my family go to the emergency room, we are always grilled – are you being abused at home? A child’s bump on the head is cause for extensive parental interrogation. But a young woman needs a hysterectomy due to a botched abortion – and there is no follow-up, even after HUP was told where the women had been treated?

HUP has a lot to answer for. I want the names and licenses of the doctors and nurses who did not report what they saw.

Amphipolis on January 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Who referred women to this guy?

Karnamaya Mongar was apparently referred all the way from Washington DC because this was one of the few clinics that performed late abortions.

What clinic in DC gave her the fatal referral?

Amphipolis on January 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Note that Kermit Gosnell and his staff also worked for NAF-certified Atlantic Women’s Services in Delaware.

They had a special bed for out-of-state women to sleep in overnight. Who was sending these women to Philadelphia?

Amphipolis on January 24, 2011 at 4:51 PM

JannyMae on January 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM

That’s not really the equivalent either, unless you’re saying she went through all that just so she could point the finger at him later, perhaps testify against him.

Eren on January 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM

RightOFLeft on January 23, 2011 at 8:17 PM

There are people who would love to adopt a baby who has disabilities, and many of them do.

Doing violence to the baby will not undo the violence done to the mother. Rapists are spared the death penalty, so why should their babies be executed? The baby is not the mother’s attacker, but is, in fact, a second victim who should not be executed for the father’s crime.

Julie Makimaa, who was conceived through rape, has written, “We should understand, as my birth mother did, that each child is a God-made miracle, and that this is true of children conceived in rape [and incest].”

What would your reaction be if your mother told you that you were conceived through rape? Would you say, “I should have been killed; my life is worthless”? Or would you say, “Thanks, Mom, for giving me a chance”?

KyMouse on January 25, 2011 at 9:49 AM