Quotes of the day

posted at 10:48 pm on January 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

“The question for Furedi, Berer, Yanow, Herold, and anyone else who asserts an indefinite right to choose is whether this part of the indictment should be dropped. You can argue that what Gosnell did wasn’t conventional abortion—he routinely delivered the babies before slitting their necks—but the 33 proposed charges involving the Abortion Control Act have nothing to do with that. Those charges pertain strictly to a time limit: performing abortions beyond 24 weeks. Should Gosnell be prosecuted for violating that limit? Is it OK to outlaw abortions at 28, 30, or 32 weeks? Or is drawing such a line an unacceptable breach of women’s autonomy?

“Throwing Gosnell in jail won’t solve the problem. The women who came to him at 26, 28, or 30 weeks will show up somewhere else. And if you won’t say no to them, you will have to say yes.”

***
“Already, left-wing journalists and activists have rushed to explain that these abortion atrocities ignored for four decades by abortion radicals and rationalizers are not really about abortion. A Time magazine writer argued that the Philadelphia Horror was ‘about poverty, not Roe v. Wade.’ A University of Minnesota professor declared: ‘This is not about abortion.’

“But the grand jury itself pointed out that loosened oversight of abortion clinics enacted under pro-choice former GOP Gov. Tom Ridge enabled Gosnell’s criminal enterprise — and led to the heartless execution of hundreds of babies. Mass murder got a pass in the name of expanding ‘access’ and appeasing abortion lobbyists…

“Deadly indifference to protecting life isn’t tangential to the abortion industry’s existence — it’s at the core of it. The Philadelphia Horror is no anomaly. It’s the logical, bloodcurdling consequence of an evil, eugenics-rooted enterprise wrapped in feminist clothing.”

***
“Since we’re talking about how absolutist, hard-edged rhetoric can encourage murder, and suggest to the infirm or ruthless that their evils are permissible and even laudatory: Was Kermitt Gosnell encouraged by a ‘climate of hate’ regarding unwanted babies?

“Seems like if the media wants to talk about rhetorical incitements to murder, they have a pretty good reason to do so here…

“A shooting isn’t a shooting, it’s about right-wing rhetoric, but a story about a gonzo abortion murderer aided and abetted by pro-abortion state officials turns out to not be a story about either abortion or murder or the high government officials the grand jury says aided and abetted the crimes, but about… access to quality health care for the poor.”

***
“But it’s rude to mention that. It is also rude (and ‘shrill’) to mention in polite company that the method of killing the new life involves reaching deep within a woman’s body with unnatural instrumentation and either sucking the baby, bit-by-bit, through a vacuum tube into a jar, or scraping it out of her, limb-by-limb.

“And it is beyond rude to suggest to true-believers (many of whom are enthusiastic students of social and psychological theory) that the violent death-and-dismemberment being performed within a woman’s womb — deep inside her body — may produce both physical repercussions on her body, and psychological repercussions within society.

“Intelligent people — people who pride themselves on having curious minds, who have studied philosophy and arcana, and who often allow for notions of karmic energies while rejecting the idea of a sin — would prefer to keep to their euphemisms and change the subject rather than consider what affect it may have on a nation, when so many of its women are walking around carrying all of that unanswered negativity and violence within their bodies.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How can this be about POVERTY? The guy made millions? He wasn’t doing it for the poor women out of the kindness of his heart!

ctmom on January 22, 2011 at 8:26 AM

ctmom on January 22, 2011 at 8:26 AM

He was just carrying out the will of people who don’t want to be punished with a baby.

Electrongod on January 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM

All of these people have innocent blood on their hands. That we have allowed this barbarous practice to continue doesn’t speak well for us either.

Kissmygrits on January 22, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Why this is significantly more grotesque than what goes on in legal abortion clinics is beyond me.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM

It is because women died, he killed viable fetuses, sometimes by smashing them still in the womb, and then kept so many body parts as trophies (?). But all abortion is heinous, since, even if liberals don’t admit it, abortion is murder.

chai on January 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Monstrous doesn’t even begin to describe his evil acts.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Been busy. Have we had any serious liberal interaction on the Gosnell threads? I mean, Crr6 is talking gun control over the incident in Arizona. Should we consider re-looking abortion laws over this, well, monster.

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM

This goes beyond a dr performing an abortion. This guy was absolute monster and found a perfect way to get his rocks off. This like a horror movie.

But I again post the question to abortion free-for-all freaks.
This isn’t even abortion, this is infant. And if the reason for abortion babies in the womb is because its a physical, mental, and financial burden, then so aren’t infants. So than infanticide must be okay?

And at what point does the magic baby fairy stop by, wave her wand, and declare when the “glob of cells” becomes a real live baby?

Magnus on January 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

And yes liberals. If you asked me, I’d favor making abortion for convenience against the law.

I have no business telling another person what to do if their health is actually in jeopardy. But come on. We’re killing a generation because we’re lazy and selfish.

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Malkin

Absolutely.

maverick muse on January 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM

And another thing, where is the media outcry directed at all the abortion rights celebrities for this horror?

I mean, Palin, Beck and Limbaugh were responsible for Arizona, right?

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 9:19 AM

ooops. This monster
should be the next one put out of business.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 9:21 AM

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Thanks for the link OC and Geez, isn’t that what you think of when the liberals say “back alley” abortion clinic?

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:24 AM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

For the record, I eschew abortion, and refuse to tolerate governing officials absconding MY taxes to provide abortions under any circumstance.

Don’t want a baby? Don’t get pregnant. Or promote adoption.

Want the carefree ease of no parental responsibility?
Forfeit fertility.

Afraid you’ll change your mind when you’re old, and want a baby? Adopt.

Had the eugenicists (knowing politicians, willingly ignorant subjects) any credibility, mandate every abortion with simultaneous permanent infertility.

maverick muse on January 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:24 AM

It is *exactly* what I think of…

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I had time to look around the threads. I guess, Grow Fangs, Crr6, ennesto and other liberal favorites are too busy this week to set us straight about how this guy needs protection. Because hey, the real issue is that we’re afraid that this coverage will create a violent backlash against all the “respectable” abortion doctors by violent SOCON extremists. Yes?

maverick muse on January 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Yeah, how long have we been told to drop this as a political issue by our fiscal conservative friends, right? I’m not afraid of my opinion on this either, Mav.

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM

This issue is a deal-breaker for me. If a dream candidate came along that perfectly sync’ed with all my values and views, but waffled on abortion, I couldn’t vote for them.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Me too. As a matter of fact, the last Democrat I voted for in an important election was for Bob Casey Sr for governor for his second term in PA. The man was a real champion of the unborn from his side. And shame on the DNC for not allowing him to speak at their convention before he died.

His opponent Republican Barb Hafer was pro-choice.

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:55 AM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I, too would have voted (D) in that election.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM

When I was a platoon leader in Iraq I once helped clear a suicide bomber’s chuncks off the road. It was disgusting, but it didn’t bother me much, since he failed to kill anyone else.

I tried reading the grand jury report. I got physically ill. I almost vomited.

So, go read it, abortion supporters. See the obvious, inevitable result of the culture of death. Then come back and explain the following:

Were those babies alive? If not, why was it necessary to kill them? If so, were they alive in the womb? If not, why not? Why do a hearbeat, functioning lungs, brain and other organs indicate life outside the womb, but not inside it? Why do living babies outside the womb deserve legal protection, but living babies inside the womb do not?

What kind of backward sommersaults of logic have you performed to convince yourself that dismembering, or chemically burning do death live babies in the womb is morally right, but severing their spinal chords and keeping their feet as trophies outside womb is morally wrong?

OscarSchneegans on January 22, 2011 at 10:03 AM

OscarSchneegans on January 22, 2011 at 10:03 AM

First, thanks for serving.

Second, I’m with you. I have seen all manner of carnage over the last eight-nine years and that report made me tear up.

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM

OscarSchneegans on January 22, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I tried reading it too, and it caused me to weep/sob until crap came out of my nose too, I started sobbing and got the dry heaves and pains in my sides. I seriously may have cracked a rib.
I am going to turn 56 on Feb 3, and I don’t think I have ever wept like that, in my entire life.
Lord, have mercy!

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Somewhere i posted that it is BO’s,KO’s,ED”Where’s Col.Clink when You need Him” Shultz,Maddcows,Chis Mathews.Nazi Polackosi, Scary Reid,Algorejr.

BruceB on January 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Somewhere i posted that it is BO’s,KO’s,ED”Where’s Col.Clink when You need Him” Shultz,Maddcows,Chis Mathews.Nazi Polackosi, Scary Reid,Algorejr fault,plus GW CC also had a hand in it.

BruceB on January 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM

BruceB on January 22, 2011 at 10:56 AM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I’ll see you and raise you this:

This crap about “women’s autonomy” is hereby off the table. The casually employed “We” in your statement about killing a generation (i.e., “Speak for yourself”) is just more evidence that normal people have ceded the conversation to monsters.

I have no doubt your heart is pure; I’ve read your stuff here a lot. Nonetheless, recognize that it has become accepted that “A woman’s body is her own,” even when she blithely exercises that autonomy to murder my child without consulting me. This does untold violence to the spirit of men and young boys, who have been savaged by this idiocy for generations now.

warbaby on January 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I have to go. But when I read the Grand Jury Report on Gosnell and his clinic, there was one sentence that I actually had to write down in “Word” exactly how it was printed in the report.

“Ashley Baldwin remembered Gosnell severing the neck of a baby that cried after being born.”

Numb mentally, is the only way I can describe my feelings in considering that single sentence. Here are some questions though.

Is a baby born in an abortion clinic, an abortion?

Is he or she an abortion regardless of their viability?

Is this the level of women’s right we wanted and are those women’s right vested in being clinical about stabbing a baby in the back of it’s crying neck and near decapitating it?

Are taxes really the key and pivotal issue for Republicans? Do we not have a shred of compassion left for the unborn.

Is a doctors primary vow of service still to first, do no harm?

I wonder at the sanity of our nation when you consider organizations like PETA spray paint women who wear fur but don’t care if they allow a doctor to cut the spinal column of a human baby without even anesthetizing it.

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM

This. Times ten.

warbaby on January 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM

warbaby on January 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I’m closer to your opinion on the matter than you think and I don’t cede the argument to anyone. I don’t cow to the notion that a woman’s body is her own if it means killing her child. I just understand that there are times when a choice would have to be made. No where near what we allow, but there are cases.

I recall a woman in the news in a comatose state while pregnant. Her husband was obviously considering every option to save his wife; including ending the pregnancy. Groups not associated with that family tried to place an injunction in the way of the doctors continuing. I would just ask who has the right to do that to someone. Who had the right to interfere?

Personally, my wife in her first pregnancy carried the child to term but we didn’t found out until on her due date that the child was anencephalic. We were advised against a normal birth procedure. My wife decided through tears to deliver the child as normal and we prayed the entire two days that the doctor was wrong. Looking back, I understand a family not wanting to go through that. In our case the child’s head is not developed enough for cervical ripening to properly occur. And it was a dangerous and painful two days for my wife. But she delivered that child and we named her Ashley in the few minutes that she lived. She rests in Enterprise, AL and will rest with my wife and I when we die.

So, what can I tell you if you believe that I’m not serious enough about the issue. You’re entitled to your opinion, but I’m probably as well versed on both sides of the argument on a personal level as a man can be. But I do believe a woman has a right to save her life. Who would even try to argue against that opinion?

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM

didn’t “find” out…

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 11:51 AM

This killer must’ve been a strict constructionist as he routinely treated non-white patients as less than whole (3/5) while treating white patients with proper decorum…/

This guy preyed, PREYED, on racial minorities and made $Millions doing so…

I truly hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and never sees another day as a free man…

Gohawgs on January 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM

The phrase “pass through the fire” is used 13 times in the Old Testament. This was where Israel’s kings made child sacrifice to the pagan gods Baal and Molech after being specifically told by God not to do so. And Israel paid a heavy price for that disobedience. Are we any different that ancient Israel? I think not. America will be held accountable for allowing her children to pass through the fire to the gods of choice and convenience.
May God have mercy, if He still can.

abcurtis on January 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM

And our president voted against the Infant Born Alive Act. I’m sure Gosnell is one of his heroes.

abcurtis on January 22, 2011 at 12:04 PM

That monster needs to be put into sensory deprivation for the rest of his life.

Slowburn on January 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM

And our president voted against the Infant Born Alive Act

Three times. And spoke out against it on the house floor. And lied about his vote on national tv.

Vera on January 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I’m so sorry for your loss, Hawkdriver. If it’s any comfort know that doctors will now perform c-sections in such situations so that families can spend a bit more time with their child.

Vera on January 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Have a safe trip.
It looks like Mike will be leaving for Brownfield on the 31st.
If all works out we’ll be moving to TX sometime this year.
I REALLY want to move to Texas-even though it’ll be too hot and have scary spideys and bugs.

Maybe I’ll have something good to tell you when you return.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 22, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Not too many spideys and bugs to bother you. Not sure where you are relocating from, but the negatives in West Texas would be the wind and sand storms, tornadoes, the flatness of the terrain, no trees and all farmland. The people are very friendly, however. I am from that area and still have lots of relatives there. The only place in the world where I have actually seen rain, snow and sand blowing all at the same time. Good luck on your move and hope you like it there – may take some getting used to, but again I don’t know where you are moving from.

silvernana on January 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM

silvernana on January 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I live near Knucklehead, in the Chicago So. suburbs.
We need to escape from Illinois!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 22, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Wow, hawkdriver, thank you for sharing such an intimate time of your life with us. Your support of life here is also very well written. I am really sorry for your loss but your decision to have Ashley near you for eternity is very touching, too. I have admired you here at HotAir for being a patriot and a military man, but your character really is very deep and admirable.

On a better note:

Could be, but I won’t be around to see it unless I have Fox in my stateroom. I’m even going miss Barry’s big speech on Tuesday. Ask me if I care!

Knucklehead on January 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Knucklehead, if you are reading this from the ship, have a nice cruise, you missed minus 22 degree weather today. I am about 2 hours north of you in Michigan, and it is bloody cold here. The good news is, if you are on Holland America’s ships, they FINALLY added foxnews channel to their lineup, thank goodness. I was on a 15 day Christmas cruise on the Prinsendam and was very happy to have foxnews in the stateroom. Every post cruise survey, I slammed them for only offering C.N.N, I guess others did too, because now they have both on their channel lineups. So HotAir peeps, if you are thinking about a cruise, check out Holland America first, so your heads won’t explode being only offered C.N.N while you are on the ship.

karenhasfreedom on January 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM

I’m in Wash DC with my 8th graders for the March for life. We watched “The Human Experience” (GREAT movie if you haven’t seen it) on the bus in transit, which basically shows how the homeless, disabled, even lepers are still humans and deserve that reality to be acknowledged. Then we went to the Holocaust museum today where one of the parent chaperones rhetorically asked, “How could someone do something so horrible.”

My answer to her was that Hitler did not see those he killed as human. In his mind, they did not posses the same humanity he did. She then asked how could a whole country go along with it?

All I could say is, “It’s exactly the same with abortion every day in the U.S. today.” A stunned silence, and look of new realization was all she could respond.

miConsevative on January 22, 2011 at 7:33 PM

There another prominent abortionist in Boulder CO, Warren Hern, who specializes in third trimester infanticide. Bet the “authorities” aren’t watching him too closely either.

bannedbyhuffpo on January 22, 2011 at 11:12 PM

silvernana on January 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I live near Knucklehead, in the Chicago So. suburbs.
We need to escape from Illinois!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 22, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Glad you saw my comment. Are you moving to Brownfield or Lubbock? Our relatives are in Post, Slaton, and Lubbock. I graduated high school from Post, which is about 50 miles due west of Brownfield, but the shopping center is Lubbock. Don’t know if you have ever been there, but it is all flat farmland. I wish you well on your move, and will be glad to give any other information on the area.

silvernana on January 23, 2011 at 1:25 AM

hawkdriver on January 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Would that not have required the “doctor” to acknowledge the sentient status of the human being that he/she required or deserved anesthesia? Clearly, Gosnell recognized no such status.

Extrafishy on January 23, 2011 at 8:39 AM