Michele Bachmann to deliver Tea Party Express response to SOTU

posted at 4:52 pm on January 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

Here’s the official announcement. I don’t get it.

We thought the speaking lineup for next Tuesday had been finalized, but there’s been a late addition. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) will deliver her own response to President Obama’s State of the Union address, to be webcast by the group Tea Party Express next Tuesday.

The group announced Bachmann’s upcoming remarks in an e-mail to supporters Friday afternoon…

It’s fitting that a tea party group would sponsor its own SOTU response: Obama is slated to focus on reining in the federal deficit, and that’s been a prime issue for the tea party movement since it was sparked by opposition to Obama’s stimulus and mortgage-rescue plan.

I could sort of understand this if the GOP had decided to break from tea party concerns in its own SOTU response, emphasizing foreign policy, say, instead of spending cuts and the coming debt apocalypse. It didn’t. It went directly at those concerns by tapping Paul Ryan to give the address, a choice greeted with wide approval from grassroots conservatives if our commenters are representative. So it’s not like America won’t be hearing about the hazards of big government on Tuesday night; on the contrary, Mr. Roadmap himself will be playing the part of the Ghost of Deficits Future. (In fact, The One himself might tackle this issue head-on in the SOTU.)

As such, having Bachmann deliver some sort of “shadow” conservative response to Obama will achieve one of two things. Either it’ll be redundant by duplicating most of the same points that Ryan makes or, if she says something incendiary that the media ends up slobbering over the next day, it’ll overshadow his speech entirely. Or, actually, I suppose there’s a third option — that this will be as much a response to Ryan as it is to Obama, emphasizing that his plan to cut $60 billion this year (and maybe his vote for TARP?) simply isn’t good enough. She’s handing the media a post-SOTU “GOP divided!” narrative on a silver platter by doing this, but it helps her presidential candidacy among the base, I suppose. And it exacts a little revenge on the caucus after she was passed over for the GOP’s House Conference Chair in favor of Jeb Hensarling. Remember who it was who decided to back Hensarling instead of her? GOP divided!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I like it. The GOP doesn’t represent me in its current state.

This is as close to splitting to a 3rd party as one can get, without actually doing it.

Beware GOP. Beware.

portlandon on January 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Stupid move.

BuckNutty on January 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Could it be Michele has more guts to tell us what bho actually said and what it means for our Republic?
L

letget on January 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Is Joe Scarborough or Charlie Crist going to give the No Labels response?

portlandon on January 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Fairness Doctrine. A phrase you won’t hear in this topic.

BobMbx on January 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Nothing good will come from this.

Zaggs on January 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I hope she does. Just telling the truth is incendiary and I hope she lights their a$$es on fire.

darwin on January 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Nothing good will come from this.

Zaggs on January 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM

If you believe the media, nothing will.

darwin on January 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

She’s trouble. Bad idea.

joepub on January 21, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Doesn’t everyone give a response to the SOTU address?

Skandia Recluse on January 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Why?

Why not? Sounds good to me.

Either it’ll be redundant by duplicating most of the same points that Ryan make..

Good. What’s wrong with redundancy? We don’t get enough of it in the GOP.

Oh, dear. Oh, my. Let’s all tremble over what the media might say. Because that’s worked so well for us.

The more speech, the merrier.

rrpjr on January 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Attention whores.

Mark1971 on January 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Jumping the shark? It appears that Bachmann has just with this announcement.

Kermit on January 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Good, the GOP needs to understand the Tea party is not another group to be co-opted, its a viable alternative.

rob verdi on January 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Compared to the past we’re almost too civil in politics. I think this is good. The media hates Bachmann, just like they hate Palin.

Let.Them.Have.It

darwin on January 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I think I will wait to hear what she says before I consider bitching about the strategy. Grow a pair and hold on for the ride. This s$%# is going to get crazy fun if the folks placed in office by the Tea Party govern accordingly.

David in ATL on January 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Bad move.

a capella on January 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I sense someone’s ego needed feeding.

ButterflyDragon on January 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM

LOL.

OKCubsFan on January 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I hate the move. It risks overshadowing Ryans response, and it gives liberals in the MSM the chance to push the “GOP divided” narrative (al though this was planned weeks ago, according to Tea Party Express).

Like Allahpundit, I see no good that can come from this.

Indy82 on January 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM

From AP’s write-up, I thought this was going to be broadcast and take away time from the Republican response. It’s not, it will just be on a tea-party website whether no one but tea-party die hards will ever see it. If AP had not posted this, no one would even have known this happened.

Myself, I’m waiting for the SOTU response from Drinkingwithbob on youtube. I just hope this time he has someone to do signing for the hearing impaired.

pedestrian on January 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Why? Why the hell not, I say.

This is called holding GOP feet to the fire. This is a national Tea Party organization saying to the establishment, “we are among you, and we have something to say as well”.

Michele is a congresswoman, but she is allied to the American people and the people of the 6th District – not the Republican party establishment.

Let her stir the pot. The stew cannot be allowed to settle.

IronDioPriest on January 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Stupid move.

BuckNutty on January 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I agree. I have my minor issues w/ Ryan, and love Michele, but this does nothing but splinter the GOP. This after a certain someone kept the Tea Party under the GOP unbrella in 2010 even though they’ve stabbed her in the back since.

To me this looks like an attention getting and pay back type deal to the leadership.

You know who this helps get the negative media spotlight off of?

davek70 on January 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I think I wait to hear what she says before I start whining about the strategy.

David in ATL on January 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

The Tea Party Express are the same geniuses who gave us Angle in NV, O’Donnell in DE, and Buck in CO. Thereby costing us three Senate seats we should have won.

So this is no surprise.

Jon0815 on January 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Isn’t Bachmann the head of the TEA party whatever it is called for the Congress?

upinak on January 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Rep. Bachmann’s great and all, but her ego’s really starting to show. Not good.

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Let me amend my prior statement by saying “Michele is a congresswoman, but she is allied to the American people and the people of the 6th District – not ONLY the Republican party establishment.

IronDioPriest on January 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Go Michele! Then after all was said and done Sarah will be respoinding by Facebook. A triple threat. I love it! Don’t sit down and shut up, ever!

BetseyRoss on January 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I sense someone’s ego needed feeding.

ButterflyDragon on January 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM

C’mon … Bachmann puts her butt on the line. In the vitriol received from the left, she’s only second to Palin. That means she’s over the target and constantly dropping 500 pounders on their heads.

darwin on January 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Its not a stupid move its a reminder to the GOP that there is an entire voting block who wont be taken for granted.

Amadeus on January 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

She did start the Tea Party Caucus so why not give her own response? Obviously, the Tea Party reached out to her. What’s the big deal?

Redneck Woman on January 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Really effing stupid. Yeah, I hate worrying about the media will do, but that’s a reality of life.

BuzzCrutcher on January 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I think we need to stop thinking in terms of “it’ll play into the liberal media narrative of…”. Everything we say will be spun and spun. Even if we say everything perfectly, they’ll just make something up (e.g., “blood libel” being code for anti-semitism). As long as Bachmann and Ryan are intelligent enough not to attack one another in their speeches, then this is an opportunity to reinforce conservative principles in two different ways, from two different kinds of perspectives. Let’s hope Michelle fills in some of the gaps that Ryan leaves.

joe_doufu on January 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

WTF is wrong with you people; this gives the TP a seat at the table. Michelle has been a strong voice for the TP movement from the beginning. Jeez sometimes I wonder.

Keemo on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Good.

In case you hadn’t noticed, the GOP is divided. It’s time our side had a say.

Throwing us Ryan for the SOTU rebuttal is fine and dandy, but most of the GOP is still as corrupt as the Dems. They won’t even stop earmarking lettermarking for God’s sake.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

You can’t tell me the cables won’t broadcast this thing or play it over and over again…

davek70 on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Bachmann going on MSNBC on election night was a red flag to me. She has become someone who is out for herself- this just confirms it and confirms her lack of sound judgement.
Boehner looks like a pretty smart guy right about now.

jjshaka on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Could be good or be bad. I just hope it is not an ego trip like others have mentioned

ConservativePartyNow on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Exemplified by?

Amadeus on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

C’mon … Bachmann puts her butt on the line.

darwin on January 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

And she’ll be the first one to tell you, over and over.

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

That’s her only hope… however, I’m betting on a lot of one-liners and shtick written by Hannity.

mankai on January 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

The TEA party must know their place. They need to close their mouths, open their wallets and let the Establishment GOP run the show. They’ve done so well these past years.

portlandon on January 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Keemo on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

A lot of the lemmings think that Candy-Ass Chamberlain-eqsue RINO Allahpundit is the be all and end all of political strategry. They simply follow the leader.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

this does nothing but splinter the GOP

It doesn’t splinter anything. Bachmann’s remarks will have the media marveling at how nice and “moderate” that conservative firebrand Paul Ryan sounded.

Emperor Norton on January 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Exemplified by?

Amadeus on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

This proposed response, for one thing. She seems to have this thing of wanting to remain in the picture all the time. Palin’s in the picture all the time because she was put there.

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

And I say: “Why the hell NOT?” No matter what the tea party does or doesn’t do, they will be mocked by the drive-by media.

Jarhead68 on January 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I think I wait to hear what she says before I start whining about the strategy.

David in ATL on January 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I’m with you on this.

KickandSwimMom on January 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM

because no one cares what Ron Paul Jr. has to say?

Kaptain Amerika on January 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Bachmann was asked by the TP.

Amadeus on January 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I think Michelle Bachmann is overexposed. She’s not being very presidential.

/snark

gryphon202 on January 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Dumb move. Stinks of “look at me.”

This is the one time the GOP needs to look united and Ryan is the right choice.

This will overshadow Ryan, because you KNOW the blood libel media will cover it more than it will Ryan’s speech.

I love Michelle, but am beginning to think she believes her own hype. Not good.

gary4205 on January 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

If Tea Party Express wants to respond to SOTU they should find some ordinary citizen to explain how the burden of taxes affects their family, a small business owner dealing with regulations, or a construction worker who can’t find work because illegals are working for peanuts.

Mark1971 on January 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Divided? Maybe
Dividend? Quite possibly. This will give the medias predetermined talking points more to chew on.

fourdeucer on January 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I think I wait to hear what she says before I start whining about the strategy.

David in ATL on January 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

The strategy is cockeyed. Ryan is sharp as a tack and can be counted on to give a good response. Are we going to have a moderate GOP response as well?

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Keemo on January 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Sad isn’t it? Alot of the naysayers in this thread have been the driving force behind getting Conservatives back into power.

portlandon on January 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Amy Kremer’s name is spelled wrong on the official announcement.

Fallon on January 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Gee I hope she is careful and thinks through what she is going to say.

Right Newt?

Lily on January 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Bachmann was asked by the TP.

Amadeus on January 21, 2011 at 5:09 PM

She could’ve said “Rep. Ryan will do a great job”.

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

The TP just put several people in positions of power; not a part of the establishment at all. This is a good dynamic for our country long term as it splinters the establishment and puts them all on notice that we the people aren’t happy one effing bit. Michelle deserves this opportunity to voice the TP message to our country.

Keemo on January 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM

I’m confused. What’s not to “get”? It’s their reply. If the Dems can do it to a GOP SOTU and the Repubs can do it to a Dem SOTU, why can’t the Tea Party guys?

Warner Todd Huston on January 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Tea Party Express

Not to be confused with the Tea Party movement.

Texas Gal on January 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM

he media hates Bachmann, just like they hate Palin.

Probably because they are both idiots.

Grow Fins on January 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Hey, at least they didn’t get Angle or O’Donnell to give the response. I’ll give them credit for that.

Mark1971 on January 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Emperor Norton on January 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Now THAT’S a damn good point. Changes the way to think about it.

gary4205 on January 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

As long as she doesn’t say Blood Libel, she will be fine.

portlandon on January 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

And like clockwork, Mr. Tingles getting ready to talk about it on Hardball.

davek70 on January 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

She could’ve said “Rep. Ryan will do a great job”.

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

You’ve been posting here a long time, therefore you have earned some slack. However, that statement is petty and of no use here. Michelle and Rep. Ryan are good friends and true patriots.

Keemo on January 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

This lady is thirsty for power.

V-rod on January 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I thoroughly trust Bachmann (and Ryan) to act in the best interests of the conservative movement. If she feels that means reinforcing what Ryan said, fine. If she feels Ryan’s message needs refining, she’ll do that too. Doesn’t bother me one bit.

Besides, MSM will find a way to bash whatever is done/said, so screw ‘em.

petefrt on January 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I’ve seen dumber moves…In the last couple of weeks..by “GOP leaders”.

KCB on January 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Stupid move.

faraway on January 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Is the Tea Party Express thinking that the GOP will be too Beltway/NorthEastern Corridor Moderate in its message? I guess that’s always a possibility, but you would think the GOP would have gotten the message on November 2nd that the country wants a return to Conservatism.

I agree that this is not the time to be divided. However, it’s not the time to fight out of control Liberalism with squishy Moderation, either.

kingsjester on January 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Rep. Michele Bachmann (TPE-MN). Anybody know if elected Tea Party Express officials Sharron Angle (TPE-NV), Christine O’Donnell (TPE-DE), and Joe Miller (TPE-AK) will be involved in Bachmann’s SOTU rebuttal?

Patrick Ishmael on January 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Grow Fins on January 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Did someone say Palin?

portlandon on January 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

She could’ve said “Rep. Ryan will do a great job”.

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Keemo on January 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Sure, but you don’t have to have dual GOP responses to Obama’s speech. It’s just weird.

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

What has she done to deserve this?

She’s a lousy spokesperson. Let Ryan handle it.

mankai on January 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM

she’s gotten herself elected to Congress, so she’s got some kind of following. if she wants to discuss the SOTU and folks are willing to listen to her, what’s the big deal?

let her speak, let her ideas be heard in the marketplace and let people evaluate them.

it’s not like she might say crazy stuff, is it?

audiculous on January 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM

C’mon … Bachmann puts her butt on the line.

darwin on January 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

That is what is known as a hanging curveball. And being the gentleman that I am, I’m just gonna let that pitch go right on by.

BobMbx on January 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM

he media hates Bachmann, just like they hate Palin.

Probably because they are both idiots.

Grow Fins on January 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Aw come on. There’s more than two people in the media.

Lily on January 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Rep. Michele Bachmann on 2012 The Minnesota Republican previews her visit to Iowa (Jan. 20, 2011).

Keeping her options open for 2012
———————————–

Rep. Michele Bachmann on 2012

canopfor on January 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

♪♫And I was like, unghh, WHY?
Unggh, WHYYYY?
UNNGHH, whyyyyyyyy, laaaaady?
♫♪

Abby Adams on January 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

If this is just for the Tea Party website, and Bachmann was ASKED by them to deliver it, then I don’t understand why anybody would have a problem with it. Seems that a lot of you want to follow AP’s lead and jump to a bunch of conclusions.

Enough with the “let’s worry about what the media does” BS. It has gotten us nowhere. Tell the truth, and media spin be damned!

JannyMae on January 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

it’s not like she might say crazy stuff, is it?

audiculous on January 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM

She’s a conservative, so the media will paint anything she says as crazy. Old Soviet trick.

darwin on January 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

On Beck’s radio show a couple weeks ago, Michele Bachmann said she had specific spending cuts totaling ….was it 500 billion? She said she would produce them on paper. Has she done so yet?

toliver on January 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Patrick Ishmael on January 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

C’mon. Weak ass response.

KCB on January 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Palin/Bachmann/2012

canopfor on January 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

portlandon on January 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Sad indeed, and small minded. Makes me wonder what several of these people actually know politically. The establishment includes most Republicans who cower in fright from the awesome power of the media in DC… This has worked for us so dang well; jeez….

Keemo on January 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Watch as she heads straight for talking points and one-liners.

She’s an embarrassment.

mankai on January 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Lily on January 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

LOL!

JannyMae on January 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

he media hates Bachmann, just like they hate Palin.

Probably because they are both idiots.

Grow Fins on January 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Aw come on. There’s more than two people in the media.

Lily on January 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

ROFL…I get the feeling that Grow Fins walks into doors a lot.

ddrintn on January 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Superfluous at BEST, potentially damaging (in all the ways Allah mentioned).

Conservatives have barely begun to govern, and they’re already finding ways to undercut themselves.

Vyce on January 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

KCB on January 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Just a reminder of the org’s track record of mass rhetorical appeal.

Patrick Ishmael on January 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Nuke ‘em high.

scrubjay on January 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Sounds like Michelle’s ego is starting to become an issue.

Ryan is THE answer man for the GOP on economic issues.

Why muddy the waters?

rickyricardo on January 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Probably because they are both idiots.

Grow Fins on January 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Fins, a single Palin or Bachmann neuron can accomplish everything your entire mass of grey matter does.

You should contact either about borrowing a neuron.

darwin on January 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Why not? I doubt that she will undercut what Rep. Ryan says. Rep. Bachmann will reinforce the message.

Yoiks! Rep. Cohen will go off on his BIG LIE rampage again. You know, the one where Republicans and Conservatives repeat their propaganda.

Iowahawk BTW skewers Cohen. Enjoy!

onlineanalyst on January 21, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Let’s get one thing straight – the Tea Party and the Tea Party Express are not one in the same. The TPE is a small but media-savvy faction that is doing a very good job of grabbing the limelight. They’ve done some good things, and they’ve done some really stupid things.

BuzzCrutcher on January 21, 2011 at 5:20 PM