Jim DeMint to join boycott of CPAC by some socially conservative groups

posted at 7:09 pm on January 21, 2011 by Allahpundit

His spokesman doesn’t offer a specific reason, but it’s not hard to figure out why a guy who famously insisted that “you can’t be a fiscal conservative and not be a social conservative” might skip an event that now seems primed to test that theory.

Assuming that this makes attendance at CPAC the new RINO litmus test, what conclusion are we to draw from the fact that Ed will be there whereas I will not? Hmmmm.

“With leading conservatives organizations not participating this year, Senator DeMint will not be attending. He hopes to attend a unified CPAC next year,” DeMint spokesman Wesley Denton said in an email.

If you missed Ed’s chat with David Keene, the chairman of the American Conservative Union (which runs CPAC), about this year’s boycott, read it now. More than one justification has been offered by boycotters for staying away, but chiefly it’s a protest of the gay conservative group GOProud being included as a participating organization. What’s intriguing about this particular intraparty split is that it doesn’t fall neatly along traditional “true conservative”/RINO lines. For instance, not only is grassroots rock star Andrew Breitbart promising to throw a party for gay conservatives (“The first annual Roy Cohn CPAC Breitbart Homocon Welcoming 80′s Extravaganza”), he’s just joined GOProud’s advisory council. And plenty of big-name social cons are still planning to intend, among them Rick Santorum(!). So essentially, it looks like three things will come out of this: (1) More pointed jokes at DeMint’s expense by GOProud’s founder; (2) a campily fun theme party with DJ Breitbart at the turntable; and (3) some indirect hype for the Values Voter Summit (which, coincidentally, is organized by one of the boycotting groups, the Family Research Council) as the only conference that truly represents social conservatives. Good enough?

Update: A belated exit question. DeMint’s spokesman says he hopes for a “unified CPAC” next year. If GOProud wants to participate again and is excluded in order to please boycotting social cons, is CPAC “unified” under those circumstances?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Everyone deserves the exact same rights, and the exact same treatment by the government.

Keith_Indy on January 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM

this has to be one of the most ignorant statements I’ve ever seen. do you think Gacy should be treated exactly the same as everyone else? how about Bundy or manson? how about polygamist and pedophiles?

right4life on January 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Yes, Bundy, Manson, and Gacy deserve to be treated the exact same as anyone else who murders people. Do you believe it should be otherwise?

Pedophiles prey on children, there is an implicit lack of consent. I thought we were talking about and among adults here.

Polygamy, I could care less, although the law needs to be applied equally.

Keith_Indy on January 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Seems to me, there are too many people with their own definition of “conservative,” and everyone who is outside of that definition aren’t Conservatives.

The brand is broad, but those applying it are often to narrow in their point of view.

Keith_Indy on January 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM

This is partly why I’m skeptical of the pro-gun crowd: they seem all too able to shoot themselves in the proverbial foot, like right now.

Dark-Star on January 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Dark-Star on January 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM

BWAHAHAHAH see you are good for a few laughs!!

right4life on January 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Keith_Indy on January 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM

mr. equality huh? right, you have no problem with the gays getting special rights, and having rights taken from those who disagree…you’re a hypocrite.

oh and marriage is between a man and a woman…its not whatever you want it to be.

as far as the age of consent..well that has changed over time…and all it takes is one judge to declare it ‘discriminatory’ and therefore unconstitutional. and apparently pedophilia is no big deal to the ‘safe schools czar’ you know the guy who founded GLSEN…which does a lot of child indoctrination..big surprise huh?

I would say get a clue, but you gay-special-rights wackos are dense as hell.

right4life on January 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Right4life, get help, please.

SC.Charlie on January 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Right4life, get help, please.

SC.Charlie on January 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…

its called projection charlie…get some help, its more than obvious you really need it…

right4life on January 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM

can’t even come up with your own lines…loser LOL

right4life on January 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM

keith_indy very typical of you atheist liberal wackos to lie when you’ve lost the argument!

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 9:07 AM

right4life – not very Christian of you to judge others, and call them false names. – Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Keith Indy, just ignore him.

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Keith Indy, just ignore him.

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 10:01 AM

you can’t ignore the truth charlie.

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM

you can’t ignore the truth charlie. – ight4life on January 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM

“You can’t handle the truth” – Col. Jessup

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM

you can’t ignore the truth charlie.

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Rich. You couldn’t recognize truth if it walked up to you wearing a name tag and handed you a dictionary opened to the “T” section.

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

well why don’t you explain to us all where I’ve lied?

hmmmm?? put up or shut up? (same for you charlie)

this should be good for a few laughs…

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM

hmmmm?? put up or shut up? (same for you charlie)

this should be good for a few laughs…

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Oh dear…I see that if I don’t count your mindless Flush Limp-balls inspired talking points and pathetic schoolyard insults, there isn’t much for me to pick from.

Tsk tsk!

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Tsk tsk!

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM

tranlsation: ya got nothing…LOL

but then you’ve never done very well in an argument with me…oh as far as limp…thats what all the girls say about you…

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM

but then you’ve never done very well in an argument with me…

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM

It’s never easy arguing with a fool, much less a foolish wingnut f*cktard.

You are, however, good for a lot of laughs.

BTW – what city do you disgrace with your presence? You must be the talk of the town.

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

It’s never easy arguing with a fool, much less a foolish wingnut f*cktard.

You are, however, good for a lot of laughs.

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

temper temper!! guess you missed obama said about civility…and given your extreme obesity, raising your blood pressure isn’t a good thing…

as far as my city, doesn’t matter, I don’t visit the park restrooms where you hang out at…

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:38 AM

guess you missed obama said about civility

So now, according to you, Obummer has credibility on civility? LOL! Logic fail again.

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM

its rather obvious you don’t. but then I thought obama was your savior…guess he isn’t enough of a left-wing wacko to please a nut-case like you!

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM

oh wait, I forgot Obama isn’t your savior…Darwin is…so please list the LOWER RACES darwin is referring to:

“The more civilized so-called Caucasian races have beaten the Turkish hollow in the struggle for existence. Looking to the world at no very distant date, what an endless number of the lower races will have been eliminated by the higher civilised races throughout the world.” (Darwin, Charles R. [English naturalist and founder of the modern theory of evolution], “The Life of Charles Darwin”, [1902], Senate: London, 1995, reprint, p.64).

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM

still trying to think up a response? thats ok we all know you’re rather s l o w

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM

You are, however, good for a lot of laughs.

Dark-Star on January 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

again, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…

Dark-Star on January 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM

nice to see you’re idiotic drivel again. you’re always good for a laugh of two. as far as reproduction…please don’t have any kids….they might turn out like you…God forbid.

right4life on January 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM

too stupid to come up with your own lines…LOSER LOL

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Right4life…………..”There you go again” – Ronald Reagan

Watch it, Allahpundit is watching.

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Right4life…………..”There you go again” – Ronald Reagan

Watch it, Allahpundit is watching.

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 11:55 AM

so tell me charlie, why are you concerned about what I said…and not the foul language of your friend dumb-struck?

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Watch it, Allahpundit is watching.

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 11:55 AM

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM

don’t answer, I know you can’t, obviously in your world, somce pigs are more equal than others… – Right4life on January 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM

This thread has become a joke with all your crazy postings. DeMint is a nobody, who is going to stay away from CPAC because some gays have been invited. Let him stay home. And, you can stay home with him.

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 12:11 PM

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 12:11 PM

laughable. I have supported what I said with references…you have not. your inability to counter what I say makes you have to denigrate me personally.

you sound like a bitter old loser.

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 9:07 AM

There you go again, breaking the 9th Commandment… bearing false witness.

You don’t know me one bit, and yet you’ve judged me to be:

1 – atheist – simply not true. I’ve always believed in God, and attend church regularly.

2 – liberal – also not true. I’m fiscally conservative, and socially tolerant. I believe the government has no business telling people how to live, we have other institutions for that, like the family, church, and other community structures. I value freedom from government interference.

3 – wacko – I’m no more a wacko then you are, we simply disagree on some issues. That you chose to call me names, is simply sad.

I do agree that those who provide the public services are unjustly burdened by the law to serve those who they would rather not serve. Catholic doctors shouldn’t be forced to perform an abortion.

Other then that, gay partners in a committed relationship deserve the same privileges granted by law, that heterosexual partners in a committed relationship already have.

I believe marriage is a religious institution, and thus, the government should have no business in declaring one sort to be preferable to another sort. Government shouldn’t be in the marriage business, and change to using the term civil union. I don’t have a problem with other people being polygamists, gay, or what have you. As long as it’s between competent adults, why should the government have a say in someones personal behavior.

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM

You don’t know me one bit, and yet you’ve judged me to be:

you don’t know me one bit, and you’ve judged that I lied….without providing an instance of that supposed lie.

so why are you doing what you accuse me of? hypocrisy much?

oh of course you do…and you have no problems with the loss of freedom that those who disagree with suffer…so much for ‘equality’ Orwell understood your version of ‘equality’ all too well.

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM

this is just sick. no person who ‘believed in God’ would say such nonsense.

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM

if the shoes, or in this case, jack-boots fit.

and your support of gay marriage insures the government will impose itself into the smallest matters of your life…like the photographer who refused to photograph a gay ‘wedding’ in AZ…he was sued and lost his rights…but fascists like you are NEVER concerned about that…oh no to you its all about the gays…what a hypocrite.

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 12:28 PM

oh and you want a right that has never existed in the history of the world…what benefit does this new ‘right’ grant society? hmmm??

have you looked at the studies from the netherlands on the effects that gay marriage has had on real marriages, and real families? the increase in broken homes…with the result being more fatherless children….and we’ve seen what that does here with drugs, gangs, crime, etc.

but of course none of this concernes people like you..the children don’t matter….all that matters is what the gays want.

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Nice of you to skip over:

Which seems to be about 1/2 your argument. Freedom of assembly should extend to commercial interaction.

You most certainly do not know me, or what’s in my heart, and accuse me of being an “atheist liberal wacko.” If that’s not bearing false witness against me, then what is.

Before that:

you’re a hypocrite.
you gay-special-rights wackos are dense as hell.
this is just sick.
no person who ‘believed in God’ would say such nonsense.
if the shoes, or in this case, jack-boots fit.
fascists like you

I’ll just leave this with the following:

God therefore would have it prohibited that any one speak evil of another even though he be guilty, and the latter know it right well; much less if he do not know it, and have it only from hearsay. But you say: Shall I not say it if it be the truth? Answer: Why do you not make accusation to regular judges? Ah, I cannot prove it publicly, and hence I might be silenced and turned away in a harsh manner [incur the penalty of a false accusation]. “Ah, indeed, do you smell the roast?” If you do not trust yourself to stand before the proper authorities and to make answer, then hold your tongue. But if you know it, know it for yourself and not for another. For if you tell it to others, although it be true, you will appear as a liar, because you cannot prove it, and you are, besides acting like a knave. For we ought never to deprive any one of his honor or good name unless it be first taken away from him publicly.

– Martin Luther, The Large Catechism

I’m not the one calling other people names, simply because they disagree with me about a political/social issue.

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Nice of you to skip over:

uh huh. when what you are advocating will end that freedom of assembly. cognitive dissonance? hypocrisy? or just deceptive?

Before that:

you certainly don’t know me, but you have no problems with accusing me of being a liar, and now you are unable to back up your accusations…so what does that say about you? hmm??

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM

oh this is too funny…mr. holier-than-thou ‘christian’ who supports gay marriage and polygamy. uh huh. so where in the bible do you get your support for gay marriage, since you are such a ‘good christian’? hmmmm??

you’re a hypocrite.
you gay-special-rights wackos are dense as hell.
this is just sick.
no person who ‘believed in God’ would say such nonsense.
if the shoes, or in this case, jack-boots fit.
fascists like you

yes you are a hypocrite. since you say you want freedom, yet you support the intrusive freedom-killing gay marriage.

and yes you are dense, since you say you support freedom, yet you support gay marriage, which will end freedom for those disagree…either that or you are either deceived, or a deceiver, which is it?

yes saying:

why should the government have a say in someones personal behavior.

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM

is very sick. Government is mean to restrain evil…you are advocating unrestrained evil. murder, rape, and robbery are ‘personal behavior’.

Romans 13:

4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

again:

no person who ‘believed in God’ would say such nonsense. bingo.

if the shoes, or in this case, jack-boots fit.
fascists like you

absolutely true. you advocate gay marriage, which is very fascist in nature…again it will elminate freedom for those who disagree….you know christians….since you’re POSING as one.

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM

but you are making false accusations against me. judging me without knowing me…do you think you’re Jesus?

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM

FACT – You have accused me of being something I’m not. You are impugning my character and reputation, which is, in fact, bearing false witness against me. You also continue to “attack the messenger” as if that helps your argument. Grow up already.

FACT – Nearly every comment I’ve read of yours (right4life) is rife with name calling. Which is just a childish means of argument. Again, grow up already.

FACT – You are trying to play the victim here, when in fact your statements are uncivil, and dripping with hate and anger.

FACT – You presume to be the judge of what is or is not acceptable Christian political views? You are not. Neither am I, but I’ve not told anyone how they should think, or what they should, or shouldn’t believe as a Christian.

So, where are the false accusations again? Your previous statements, to me and others, are a direct reflection of your character. I’ve written nothing I wouldn’t say to your face. And I’ve written nothing about you that I would feel ashamed of in the face of our Maker.

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM

FACT I have proven that you are as I represented you. oh please ‘attack the messenger’ when you have been unable to deal with any of my points..instead attacking me? laughable.

FACT I only call people names when they have started it. but you of course have no problem with others who agree with you calling me names…again you show your hypocrisy.

another judgement when you don’t even know me…too funny…you ‘sir’ are a hypocrite. and you prove it with every post.

Since you claim to be a christian, why can’t you back up your position on gay marriage with the bible? hmmmmm?? you seem awfully sensitive about this..no surprise, since you’re not really a christian…you’re posing as one. too bad you don’t the honesty and integrity to admit the truth.

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I feel the same way. I have defended my statements…and you have done nothing to dissuade me that my description of you is totally accurate.

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM

You presume to be the judge

oh the irony…

when in fact your statements are uncivil, and dripping with hate and anger.

LOL

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

“Listen and understand. What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Keith_Indy on January 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I would agree…you have defiled yourself quite a bit. I don’t know if I have encountered such hypocrisy from anyone here before.

right4life on January 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Right4life, you little fascist, are you still around?

SC.Charlie on January 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM