Steve Cohen: I’m really sorry — that people are using my GOP/Nazi comparison as a “distraction”

posted at 5:40 pm on January 20, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via lefty Greg Sargent, who says of this afternoon’s statement from the “gentleman” from Tennessee, “[I]t’s clear Cohen is not budging.”

Indeed.

Taken out of context, I can understand the confusion and concern. In speaking about the Republican message of “government takeover of health care” that has been drummed into the heads of Americans and the media for more than a year, I referenced the non-partisan, Pulitzer prize-winning Politfact.com judgment that named the Republican message as the “2010 Lie of the Year.”

“While I regret that anything I said has created an opportunity to distract from the debate about health care for 32 million Americans, I want to be clear that I never called Republicans Nazis. Instead, the reference I made was to the greatest propaganda master of all time. Propaganda, which is called “messaging” today, can be true or false. In this case, the message is false.

“I would certainly never do anything to diminish the horror of the Nazi Holocaust as I revere and respect the history of my people. I sponsored legislation which created one of the first state Holocaust Commissions in America and actively served as a Commission member for over 20 years. I regret that anyone in the Jewish Community, my Republican colleagues or anyone else was offended by the portrayal of my comments. My comments were not directed toward any group or people but at the false message and, specifically, the method by which is has been delivered.

“It is disappointing that my comments have been used to distract from the health care reform debate. It is my hope that we can return our focus to the matter at hand-health care for 32 million Americans.”

Usually these faux apologies run along the lines of “sorry if you were offended,” but this guy’s actually a step past that. Essentially, he’s saying “sorry for letting your offense sidetrack my party’s agenda.” It’s an apology to Democrats, in other words, the lip service to Republicans and Jews in the third paragraph notwithstanding. Which, actually, is true to the spirit of this week’s push for a “new tone” on the Hill: The “new tone” wasn’t a priority during eight years of seething leftist hatred for Bush, but after two years of anger at The One, a horrible shooting that had nothing to do with political rhetoric is now the Democratic catalyst for a new golden age of rhetoric — the occasional Goebbels comparison aside. It’s self-serving, just like Cohen’s “apology.” Good for you for capturing the zeitgeist, Steve.

Two clips for you here, one of an appropriately incredulous Anderson Cooper futilely trying to reason with Cohen — look out for the Max Schmeling comparison! — and the other via Nick Rizzuto of another Cohen bon mot from the House floor during Campaign ’08. Remember how some of the stupider progressive bloggers at the time thought it was smart and witty to say that Obama, like Jesus, was a community organizer and Palin, like Pilate, was a governor? Surely no member of Congress would stick a line that dumb and insulting into the Congressional Record. Would he?

Comments

The left wing pundit on with Meghan Kelly today tried to convince her that this was an apology. It didn’t work with Kelly either.

NoNails on January 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Someone didn’t get Barry Hussein’s four-day-late memo on civility.

amerpundit on January 20, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I am sorry that the Hair Club for men did not work for him.

EnochCain on January 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM

He’s just revealing the Progressive play book. Just keep lying.

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Nazis = socialists, high-tax, gun-control, pro-union, big-govt partnerships w/ business, pro-abortion…Sure, they’re just like conservatives in the GOP!

itsnotaboutme on January 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Dr Mengele was pro death panels , just sayin.

the_nile on January 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM

If you tell a lie enough times then people will eventually start to believe it.

Case in point: Steve Cohen.

Vegi on January 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I finally figured out where I’ve seen this guy; he’s the Gestapo guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

darwin-t on January 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM

This guy just can’t shut up. Good, keep talking.

Somebody give him another shovel.

SlaveDog on January 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM

**CNN Video Disclaimer**

The following video has inflammatory rhetoric and views of people who do not agree with each other. It also has words containing the vowels A E I O & U. We are trying to get away from this kind of heated wording.

Viewer discretion is advised.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Tool.

Key West Reader on January 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

He has been in Alan Grayson’s shadow up ’till now…

d1carter on January 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

This vile jackass is either lying or incredibly stupid . . . he knew exactly what he said and what the impact would be. If his constituents and cronies believe him then they too are hopelessly stupid.

rplat on January 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I don’t care how many times I hear it repeated, I still don’t believe some of these people are congressmen.

forest on January 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Is it just me, or does Cohen look like that toady Nazi dude from Raiders of the Lost Ark?

jcmorris on January 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM

“I’m not at all sorry for what I said; I’m just sorry that you [Republicans] would call me out on it.”

Jeddite on January 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I watched… or am watching Glenn Beck today…

Keep talking Cohen… and any of you other guys want to reveal how you really feel about the intelligence of the American public?

Every time they say it is about messaging they are insulting the intelligence of the American people.

petunia on January 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Actually, he kind of looks like Slugworth from “Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”

CurtZHP on January 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

he’s the Gestapo guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

darwin-t on January 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Nice pull.

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Limbaugh:

Congressman, who’s been more demonized in America recently than the Tea Party and the Tea Party’s leaders? If you are going to make a comparison with Nazi Germany, isn’t it clear who the new Jews are? Sure as hell isn’t the Democrats. Who are the new Jews Congressman Cohen? It’s not the Democrats. It’s the Tea Party.

Exactly.

ddrintn on January 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Cohen has been a professional politician in Memphis for years. City Council, State Rep, etc. He was endorsed by Obama over former longtime Memphis Mayor and professional crooked politician Willie Herenton for the prestigious Harold Ford, Sr/Jr seat. Cohen won’t back down. His pseudo-intellectual Liberal ego will not allow him to.

kingsjester on January 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

He looks kind of like the Cryptkeeper From Tales From The Crypt.

Mark1971 on January 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

First off, the whole “civility” meme is simply Dem-speak for “Conservatives must shut up, NOW.” It’s not a call for Democrats to stop blaming Republicans for shootings or a call to stop using Nazis = Republicans = Fascists analogies or a demand that people stop wishing for that harm to come to conservative politicians. Name one Liberal who was told that wishing for physical harm to befall conservatives was over the top? Ever.

Fred 2 on January 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

darwin-t on January 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Damn! I think you’re right!

oldleprechaun on January 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

hmmm, blood libel much?

joeindc44 on January 20, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I feel embarrassed that this guy is from my state.

Cookies Mom on January 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Yeah Steve – sorry you got called on it – and shown to be an idiot.

GarandFan on January 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Call hypocrisy out, of course, but don’t limit the free speech of the idiots. Let them hang themselves with their own words.

petunia on January 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I feel embarrassed that this guy is from my state.

Cookies Mom on January 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM

town,state,country…PLANET!!!

BigWyo on January 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

When you step in it, and then try to walk it back, you make a big mess that smells really bad and follows you wherever you go. Cohen has a new cologne.

Geochelone on January 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Yep. He’s definitely bucking for the “Craziest Democrat Representative” seat Alan Grayson left up for grabs.

So far, they’re all still stuck in a 193-way tie. But I’m pulling for this guy.

logis on January 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM

There is a reason that every Conservative that could afford to moved out of Memphis, TN.

kingsjester on January 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Cohen knows all about Goebbels’s Big Lie because it is one of the first rules of “progressive” propaganda. “Yes, We Can!” “Together We Thrive”

See, short and snappy. Easily remembered.

Project your teammates’ stategies much on your political opponents much, Cohen?

You never saw even an iota of what you claim to have seen at TEA party gatherings, buddy.

onlineanalyst on January 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Impertinence is indignant.

Schadenfreude on January 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Wow. Amazing how much ole Steve-O looks like Herr Goebbels himself in the picture for this post. Once again the left projects themselves and their own ‘issues’ onto the right, and in this case in a really creepy look alike award winner. ‘Vee haf vays to make you ko-operate.’

JimP on January 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM

This is only a minor variation from the standard Progs’ apology -”I’m sorry if you were offended by what I said.”

Translated, it means you are too stupid to understand the nuance of my words.

slickwillie2001 on January 20, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Cohen reminds me of a sonderkommando, except that they were forced into their sad position by real National Socialists, while this tool does the dirty work of the crypto-socialists willingly… for slimy power gained by deceit.

profitsbeard on January 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Cohen, Weiner, Frank, Boxer, Grayson, Wasserman Schultz, Waxman, Sanders, Schumer, Specter, ……………….quite a hit parade, eh?

Know what else they have in common?

David2.0 on January 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM

New factoid from Cohen: Goebbels wasn’t a Nazi.

unclesmrgol on January 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Cohen is the best ad for abortion that ever walked.
Look at him and tell me if it wouldn’t have been better if his mother had aborted him

Delta Wild Man on January 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I watched Anderson Cooper tear this nimrod a new one and (credit where it’s due and all) he did a great job. But for the life of me, I was going to do the Darth Vader force choke thingy on Cohen’s worthless ass when he dug his grave deeper by defending the Tea Party/KKK garbage. His logic is appalling, but I’ve got a bit of my own:

If Bull Connor was bald, and Cohen is bald, then Cohen is Bull Connor.

Ryan Anthony on January 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

He could have said Hey look I am sorry for what I said. But he had to go with Iam sorry you are to stupid to understand what I said.

Cookies Mom on January 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

As with so many things the immortal sage and philosopher Maimonides said it best.

Every man should view himself as equally balanced: half good and half evil. Likewise, he should see the entire world as half good and half evil…. With a single good deed he will tip the scales for himself, and for the entire world, to the side of good with a single bad deed he becomes a douche bag Congressman who deserves nothing but derision and contempt.
Moshe ben Maimon (Maimonides)

Mason on January 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Cohen is the best ad for abortion that ever walked.

Delta Wild Man on January 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I think she tried, and he is what happens when a botched abortion lives.

Mark1971 on January 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Cohen: How DARE you keep what I said, in the news. How DARE you be offended by the truth, as I see it. How DARE you not bow to the liberal god. How DARE you not conform, and comply with our demands!!!

Isn’t that pretty much what he’s saying?

capejasmine on January 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

rplat on January 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

According to his website, Cohen’s 9th Tennessee district is 60% black, dominated by the Memphis ghetto. His only electoral concern comes in the primary, so he just needs to act really crazy to scare away black Democrat challengers.

I’d say he’s a perfect, weird, southern-drawling Jewish version of Sheila Jackson Lee.

Jaibones on January 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I’m overjoyed that he is on the defensive. Best place I can think of for your average Dem. Let’s put them all there.

jeanie on January 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM

You Teabagging Nazis need to watch all the hateful rhetoric.

Grunt on January 20, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Hahahahaha

Dude looks like a Nazi. I think I saw him in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

CWforFreedom on January 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM

JimP on January 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Some one had to say it….I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

BigWyo on January 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I honestly thought we had seen the last of certified nutcase loons like Alan Grayson running around Congress without supervision and in need of their medications, acting and blubbering like they seriously need to be wrapped up in a straitjacket and thrown in a padded cell.

But then along came Steve Cohen.

pilamaye on January 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM

If you don’t want to detract from the debate, don’t use inflammatory rhetoric.

cmw2204 on January 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Cohen is a gift that will keep on giving. The trick now is, one, raise holy hell about liberal MSM enforcing their own standards of “civility,” and two, keeping an open mic. on this idiot.

Wolf Howling on January 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Your CIVILITY can KISS my TEA PARTY POSTERIOR!

Mutnodjmet on January 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Wow, I didn’t get a chance to see the Anderson Cooper thing…

A. What in the hell is up with Cooper???

B. This guy (Cohen) is a slimy Toilet Bug of the highest order. He can lie through his teeth under pressure though.

BigWyo on January 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM

is it me, or does this creep look like he could be a “researcher” one of Dr Mengele’s clinic?

sbvft contributor on January 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Rep. Cohen, why do Republicans not believe you when you say that the health care bill isn’t a government takeover of health care?

I’ll explain and I will use small words so that you’ll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.

You lie!

Lily on January 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Okay… some might have missed Cohen’s point.

Obamacare was defeated by propaganda… like Goebbels learned to use from the American Progressives.

So this was basic American Progressive Propaganda, right out of the book. The same book Goebbels used.

Also, how much respect does he have for the 6 million lost? Not much. Less than me, I’d say.

petunia on January 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Two can pay Cohen’s game.

He says the government hasn’t taken over the nation’s healthcare system. The closest thing to Obama’s governing of our health care system would be Fascism, where one is free to own and run their companies and industries as long as they run them exactly as the government dictates.

Republicans are like Goebbels, Obama and the Democrats are like Fascists. See how easy that is Mr. Cohen?

RJL on January 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

In other words, “I have absolute moral authority and so I can call anyone a Nazi I want.”

pedestrian on January 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Cohen is prime evidence that liberalism is a mental disorder. He thinks the truth is what he wants it to be and not what the facts substaniate. Even after his obvious lies, he says that was not his intention and we cannot believe our lying eyes and ears. Americans are waking up to the lies and distortions from the left because they state as fact which is verbal insanity.

volsense on January 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

darwin-t on January 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Love it.

ProfessorMiao on January 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM

He is so right – in the run-up to healthcare reform – I never heard the following:

“if you like your health plan, you can keep it”
“healthcare reform will reduce the deficit”

There is absolutely nothing short, snappy and untrue about those statements!

johnboy on January 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Rommel was never a member of the Nazi Party.
Schemmeling was hiding Jews in his apartment.
NEXT!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Doenitz was mostly found guilty @Nuremburg because he had the misfortune of being named Hitler’s successor.
Cohen’s a full-bore eejit!

annoyinglittletwerp on January 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

He is a liar who belongs in prison.

proconstitution on January 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I keep finding errors.
The KKK rose up as an anti-REPUBLICAN movement. The KKK originally went after blacks because most blacks were REPUBLICANS!
Cohen’s stupid.
I hate stupid people.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM

David2.0 on January 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I grew-up with a family of liberal self-loathing Jews.
My parents were/are not self-loathing.
They also were/are not liberal.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM

This guy reminds me of Sheriff Dupnik. He loves to keep his mouth flapping.

mobydutch on January 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM

I Repeat: You can’t argue with a LYING SACK OF EXCREMENT

hamradio on January 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM

If ignorance is bliss, then this Cohen fellow is one happy MF.

n0doz on January 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM

“Out of pocket costs are going to go up if something like this were to become law, but I think thankfully it’s not going to,” said White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

If you say something often enough, people will start to believe it. Gibbs said this today and no one challenged him on it. Bet he’ll say it again tomorrow. Does he have any proof that out of pocket costs are going to go up? Nah.

Mr_Magoo on January 20, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Cohen’s vitriol forms a dog whistle so powerful that the sound of it is actually drowning out the voices of the aliens I normally hear talking to me through my dental fillings.

FlameWarrior on January 20, 2011 at 9:35 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

But… Goebbels?

unclesmrgol on January 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Doesn’t Godwin’s Law stipulate that your argument has been lost once you call your opponent a Nazi, whether directly or indirectly?

‘Nuff said, Steve Cohen.
You’re done.

stevezilla on January 20, 2011 at 10:26 PM

unclesmrgol on January 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Gerbils and his wife poisoned their 6 children(since life w/o the Fuhrer wasn’t worth living) and then had some of Hitler’s bodyguards shoot them as they headed up to the courtyard of the bunker.
Total Nazi.
total evil.
NOTHING in common with the GOP.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 20, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I keep finding errors…
annoyinglittletwerp on January 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM

That’s what’s best about you!

massrighty on January 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM

You’re my “second favorite” aspie… (after my son, of course.)

massrighty on January 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM

You’re my “second favorite” aspie… (after my son, of course.)

massrighty on January 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM

That’s as it should be. *smiles*

The facts that Cohen’s getting wrong are basic things that I learned in Jr. high. That he’s Jewish and getting them wrong just compounds the errors.
Okay-I didn’t learn them from Jr. High-I learned them from my parents and my own reading-but I was in that age range.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 20, 2011 at 11:28 PM

It is my hope that we can return our focus to the matter at hand-health care

Steve Cohen is from Memphis TN, also the home of Frayser High School where 90 teen girls are pregnant. He wants lots & lots & lots of healthcare. JUST SAY NO!!!

TN Mom on January 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Steve Cohen does not have a soul. There is only an unimaginably cold and empty pitch black void where his soul should be.

FlatFoot on January 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM

The Death’s Head reward goes to Cohen aka Skeletor incarnate. Nazism, fascism, socialism, communism are all things of the left not right so Skeletor has it all wrong along with the rest of the no brain liberals….I am sick of hearing his/their lies no matter how many times libs repeat them. Skeletor there is merely describing himself in a most damning fashion.

Sherman1864 on January 21, 2011 at 4:43 AM

I feel embarrassed that this guy is from my state.

Cookies Mom on January 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I don’t claim Memphis as part of my state.

ladyingray on January 21, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Meet the new liberal civility, same as the liberal old civility:

Obowma – get in their faces,
they bring a knife? We bring a gun,
punish your enemies,

Alan Grayson – wepublicans want you to die qwickwee, die quickwe.

CNN 20 years of crossfire.

democrats targeting republican districts…….

dthorny on January 21, 2011 at 8:05 AM

This entire attack on Palin and the Teaparty has backfired so badly that it’s hard to see how they can walk it back.

AnninCA on January 21, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Grayson/Cohen = Behar/Garafalo. Cohen says he’s sorry. He’s the last person on earth that knows what the whole world has always known.

volsense on January 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM

@ladyingray – 7:27AM
I don’t claim Memphis as part of my state either.

volsense on January 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Steve Cohen: I’m really sorry

You can stop right there, Steve. I know you are really sorry but an apology would still be nice.

abcurtis on January 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM

No, whats a shame is you using health care reform debate to distract from the fact your an asss.

Greed on January 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Enough wolf crying. Nazis were left wingers like well er–you Cohen.

MaiDee on January 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM