Pawlenty’s book sells fewer than 5,000 copies the first week

posted at 6:16 pm on January 20, 2011 by Allahpundit

Actually, that’s almost certainly not true: As noted at the link, the BookScan numbers listed here only account for 75 percent of all sales typically, so total sales should be somewhere in the ballpark of 6,000.

I know what you’re thinking because I know which yardstick you’re using to measure, but that comparison is absurd for a dozen different reasons. Honestly, are these numbers really that bad?

Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty’s week-old book blitz got him plenty of face-time on national television, but he’s not in best-seller territory yet.

Nielsen BookScan, a national data provider for the book publishing industry, shows a total of 4,765 sales of Pawlenty’s Courage to Stand as of Wednesday, the vast majority since the beginning of his national book tour in New York on Jan. 11…

“We’re obviously very pleased with the early response to Governor Pawlenty’s new book,” said spokesman Alex Conant. “There’s a lot of excitement about the Governor’s message, which is helping drive strong turnout at our book signings and a lot of media interest in his story.”

Palin’s first book sold more than 100 times that amount in its first week, but then Palin was a former VP nominee with an obsessive media following. Plus, her book promised campaign dirt on backstage tensions with people like Steve Schmidt that made it a must-read even for political junkies who dislike her. And of course, T-Paw doesn’t have a loyal class of liberal detractors willing to pick up his book simply in the hope of discovering a spelling error and citing it as proof of how stupid he is. There was a lot of fuel in the rocket for the launch of “Going Rogue,” in other words. For most politicians, though? Nah. True, Romney’s latest book did end up on the bestseller list, but it took bulk orders from conservative groups to help make that happen. For a truer comparison, refresh your memory of how Pelosi’s book did in its first week out of the chute in 2008. She’d been Speaker for a year and a half by that point, had access to practically any media outlet she wanted to promote it, and had an adoring lefty base ready to plunk down some cash for a glimpse at the thoughts of the first woman in U.S. history to lead the House. First-week sales, per BookScan: 2,737 copies.

Besides, why does Pawlenty care how many books he sells? The TV appearances he’s been making this week aren’t a means to selling books; rather, writing a book was a means to getting on TV to help raise his profile before the primaries. If he somehow wins the nomination, sales on this one will take off next year. Just ask the guy in the White House, who’s now a millionaire several times over from the royalties. Exit question: Still — only #4,649 on Amazon’s list of bestsellers? Yeesh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I bought one. Haven’t started it yet, but I want to know more about T-Paw.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Needs more free “I’LL REINSTATE D.A.D.T” bookmarks with each purchase.

Jeddite on January 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Who’s book?

Opposite Day on January 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Let’s make him the nominee in 2012! He can’t attract even flies.

promachus on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Clearly this means Palin is more qualified to be President. Because that’s what we base qualifications on now – book sales and media profile.

Vyce on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Give him a break… I’ve seen much worse sales before…

It too Schumer 2 years to sell 10,000 books…

ninjapirate on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

is this Mitt Romney’s Brother?

Kaptain Amerika on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Well, T-Paw still did better than San-Fran-Nan.

upinak on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

He just doesn’t have the “it” factor.

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Also, I had to really look around the bookstore to find it. Conservative books in Portland usually get displayed in the back next to the bathroom.

I hate the liberals in this town.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Meh.

pugwriter on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

He has a book out?

Emily M. on January 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I’m so excited at the prospect of a Tim Pawlenty candidacy that I’ll….zzzzzzzz.

amerpundit on January 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Vyce on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Your presidential standards for office sucks.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Can you expect anything better from a guy who speaks volumes about every issue and just can’t seem to say anything worth hearing?

Pawlenty’s a nice guy, but he’s got maybe a tenth of the charisma of Palin or Reagan. Nobody seems to talk about him, and nobody seems to want to listen to him.

I suspect that if by some chance he wins the nomination (he’s a cold fish to the base) he’ll fold like a cheap tent under the inevitable media fusillade.

KingGold on January 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Ed Morrissey bought 4,999 of them.

Mark1971 on January 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Vyce on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Yet, what does that say about Obama’s books?

upinak on January 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Well, it won’t be for lack of free advertising here at HotAir. And I’m not talking about in the sidebars. ;)

cschande on January 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

His two election victories were flukes. He is not a fiscal conservative; the state budget nearly doubled under him. No way he’ll beat Obama. Paul Ryan or Mike Pence. Jindal or Christie if they can be pushed to run.

IR-MN on January 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Ha! His “I wanna run for president here’s my book” book isn’t doing well. I guess Its just being bought by republican “insiders”…

liquidflorian on January 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I hate the liberals in this town.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

My wife and I took a train to Portland for on of our anniversaries back in the early Ninties. We went down to the riverfront since it looked like there was a fair of some sort. Turned out it was a pothead protest over taxing their stash or something. Lotsa brownies for sale.

pugwriter on January 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Bingo.

And he has been taking every opportunity he can apparently to get on TV. What’s next…”T-Paw’s Minnesota” on TLC?

I might just have to pick up his book tho…honestly, I don’t even know what it’s about…his life? his politics? Wouldn’t hurt to know more about the guy I guess.

JetBoy on January 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM

He’s running!!!

…..for Veep (in 2012 with a hope that will get him the nomination in 2016).

That’s how the GOP plays the Nominating game.

PappyD61 on January 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM

He wrote a book?

Vera on January 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Ed Morrissey bought 4,999 of them.

Mark1971 on January 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Heh.

the_nile on January 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM

He wrote a book?

Vera on January 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one who didn’t know.

Emily M. on January 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Tim, buddy: I love ya but please… save your money and time and effort (and everyone else’s, too). A good cabinet post is in your future, bro.

princetrumpet on January 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM

ROFL…and people wonder why the left FEARS Palin.

unseen on January 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Let’s make him the nominee in 2012! He can’t attract even flies.
promachus on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Better to withhold judgement.

A lot can happen between now and six months from now. Or a year even.

Don’t count anyone out. Palin came out of nowhere in 2008.

blatantblue on January 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

”T-Paw’s Minnesota” on TLC?

JetBoy on January 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Do you have to make every thread about Palin.

the_nile on January 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Yeah, maybe a veep spot. That would work.

princetrumpet on January 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I like T-Paw alright, but he needs a Palin/Cain injection, or something. ✪

TXUS on January 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

He must have a large family. Is he Mormon too?

darwin-t on January 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Oh jeez, that’s too bad/

Knucklehead on January 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM

cschande on January 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Not everybody can have a big-name politician in their state with the shot at the presidency. I know for sure I’d pimp every minute of it if there was presidential buzz surrounding George Pataki Alfonse D’Amato Rudy Giuliani nobody in my stupid worthless state.

KingGold on January 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Being one of those dorks who read books written by politicians I might some day need to vote for, I bought and read his book on my Kindle. It’s pretty standard fare – the most shocking find in it is T-Paw’s use of the term “bees knees” early on.

Seriously – bees knees. If I were a focus group, I’d say it made him come off like one slick daddy-o.

elcapt on January 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM

T-Paw practices the art of ninjutsu.

mad saint jack on January 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I see Amazon is listing it as available on their E-reader.

fourdeucer on January 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

5,000? That sounds like pawlenty to me.

greggriffith on January 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Those “I’m about to run for President” books typically do awfully and are often published by a vanity publisher — the candidate has to pay the publisher, not vice versa. In Sarah’s case, it was a memoir of a very public VP run. Totally different kettle of fish.

Paul-Cincy on January 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

AP:Honestly, are these numbers really that bad?

No, I’m surprised it sold over 1000. Good for …umm… whats his name?

Amadeus on January 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

pugwriter on January 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Yep. Portland’s motto is “Keep Portland Weird”.
Many conservatives call it Peoples Republic of Portland. President Bush’s Secret Service details code word for Portland was “Little Beirut”. They were 100% correct.

Walking the streets of Portland is like being at cirque du soleil with a heavy marijuana & patchouli smell.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Free books and T shirts for everybody…

d1carter on January 20, 2011 at 6:31 PM

5,000? give it up he is done.

unseen on January 20, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I bought one. Haven’t started it yet, but I want to know more about T-Paw.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Can I borrow yours when you’re done? I’ve been having trouble falling asleep.

Knucklehead on January 20, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Aw, there ya go–the soft bigotry of low expectations! I’m sure T-Paw appreciates that comparison. Eventually, he’ll hit the NYTs best seller’s list, right?

Say, how did Palin’s second book sell during the first week?

conservative pilgrim on January 20, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Vyce on January 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Or we could be like the douchebags who think “favorability” makes for a good candidate no matter how odious their actual policies are.

gryphon202 on January 20, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Alternate headline:

Tim Pawlenty’s book sucks; Morrissey and Hinderaker hardest hit.

gryphon202 on January 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Oh man. He’s had aot of face time on TV too.
Ain’t happenin brother Tim.

james23 on January 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM

pugwriter on January 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Yep. Portland’s motto is “Keep Portland Weird”.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Don’t me to highjack the thread, but if it makes you feel any better, our mayor, council and other mucky mucks here in Riverside often hold Portland up as a standard to try and attain. That’s SoCal for you. The crap rolls down the coast, I guess.

pugwriter on January 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM

He’s running!!!

…..for Veep (in 2012 with a hope that will get him the nomination in 2016).

That’s how the GOP plays the Nominating game.

PappyD61 on January 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Unless your initials are S.L.P.

conservative pilgrim on January 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Yep. Portland’s motto is “Keep Portland Weird”.
portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I thought that was Austin, TX. Portland isn’t nearly as bad as Seattle IMHO, unless you go to Capital Hill. But Portland did have a buttload of the hippie/yuppie/elitists there that annoyed the absolute crap out of me.

upinak on January 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Palin/Pawlenty 2012. Although that’s 2 Northern/Western states. So much for balance.

Paul-Cincy on January 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Can I borrow yours when you’re done? I’ve been having trouble falling asleep.

Knucklehead on January 20, 2011 at 6:32 PM

HEH. He’s not that bad.

When I have trouble falling asleep, I borrow my dads copy of Mitt’s book.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Who?

powerpro on January 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM

The problem with Pawlenty is that he doesn’t hit any nerve. He doesn’t thrill me and he doesn’t piss me off, either. He’s like carob granola or something.

pugwriter on January 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM

He’s not that interesting.

mizflame98 on January 20, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Yet, what does that say about Obama’s books?

upinak on January 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

That they were ghost-written by a known terrorist?

Vyce on January 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Why does she have an obsessive media following?

A.) Because she has an obsessive following among the populace. TP, not so much.

B.) She and her following scare to near death the 90% of the media that is liberal, so they do all they can to destroy her.

Oh yeah, I saw Mitt’s mug on a milk carton this morning.

Akzed on January 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Too much over exposure lately.

Therefore, he’s toast per the Palin standard set by the MSM.

davek70 on January 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I’m a big fan of Pawlenty, but I wouldn’t buy his campaign book. He’s a smart wonk, with no bimbo eruptions. I assume it’s just as boring as his life. No thanks.

RBMN on January 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Alternate headline:

Tim Pawlenty’s book sucks; Morrissey and Hinderaker hardest hit.

gryphon202 on January 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Shoulda run for governor again, Mitt Tim.

KingGold on January 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM

pugwriter on January 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Our wonderful Mayor Sam Adams had to admit the week of his swearing in that he had a sexual relationship with a 17 year old boy INSIDE of CITY HALL while he was a city council member. The liberals circled the wagons and protected him.

Our former Mayor that served in the Carter administration, and went onto be governor sexually abused a 13 year babysitter for years. Never got caught and had to admit to it 2 years ago.

This is the kind of wonderful city we have.

Portland should be looked up to by Nobody.

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM

That they were ghost-written by a known terrorist?

Vyce on January 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM

LOL… Zing!

upinak on January 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I’m waiting for Pawlenty’s book on global warming. He can explain his regional Cap & Trade plan.

RJL on January 20, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I hope that is 2300 more than dear ron Reagan’s book sells, ever!
L

letget on January 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM

RBMN on January 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Am I to assume you’ll be voting for T-Paw in the primaries?

gryphon202 on January 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I wonder if he will outsell Pelosi’s book?

HondaV65 on January 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

*Yawn.*

cthulhu on January 20, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Is anyone besides T-Paw, Mrs. T-Paw, and T-Paw’s #1 fanboy John Hinderaker surprised by this???

IronDioPriest on January 20, 2011 at 6:52 PM

The most generic title and cover picture imaginable, and it’s a book about a Minnesotan. Not that surprising.

Greenhelmet on January 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Pawlenty needs to hang around with Charlie Sheen for a couple weeks, and learn all the failsafe ways to increase press attention.

RBMN on January 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM

IronDioPriest on January 20, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Probably not. But the only T-Paw fans I know of are from Minneosta. Walter Mon-dull redux.

gryphon202 on January 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Here’s the thing.

These books are just advertisements.

I guess I will have to read them sometime… maybe.

In 2000 I read John McCain’s… I became a big supporter. Then when he lost the Primary he went nuts. I felt the book was not totally accurate.

Since then I haven’t read one of the promote the candidate books… I felt sort of duped and why shouldn’t they spin things as positively as they can… that is the game after all.

But I am just not up to several hours of political hype to convince me this is the guy or gal I’ve been waiting for my whole life.

I probably will read Bush’s book… this is a first draft of history, I understand history has lots of authors… and he can’t run again.

petunia on January 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM

zero impact on his aspirations

rob verdi on January 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Just for comparison, Amanda Hocking, a paranormal YA author, sold over 300,000 of her ebooks in Dec, most priced at $.99.

Maybe his publisher should lower the price.

President Bush made his book available on the Kindle for $9.99, including all of the enhancements like photos and videos (if you’re using a Kindle app instead of the device). It has almost 800 reviews.

Pawlenty’s ebook is $12.83 and has 6 reviews.

As for being president, I think he lacks the charisma necessary to communicate well with all levels of people, he’s just kind of a bland person.

Although I admire Sarah Palin, it would be nice to have a candidate with a solid executive background that also has the personality and communication skills that she has. Her Facebook and Twitter posts are almost always timely and say exactly the right thing. She’s attractive and has led a fascinating life so far.

We need the conservative version of John Hickenlooper, now Colorado’s governor. He was a geologist, then brewery businessman. He was mayor of Denver for 8 years and is now governor. Once he has 4 or 8 years as gov under his belt, he’ll be a prime candidate for national office. He’s also funny and personable, check out some of his ads on YouTube. Too bad he’s a lefty.

Common Sense on January 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Perhaps his fans are smarter?

lexhamfox on January 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

I see Amazon is listing it as available on their E-reader.

fourdeucer on January 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Hmm is it cheaper? Cause I can do some Kindle skimming… somehow it seems like less commitment than a whole book…

petunia on January 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

I bet Palin buys it and in a future speech she’ll refer to it in some positive way. She’ll find one or two passages that she wants people to hear. She believes that she and T-Paw are on the same team.

NoNails on January 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Pawlenty’s ebook is $12.83 and has 6 reviews.
Common Sense on January 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Put that blame squarely on the shoulders of the greedy publisher.

Knucklehead on January 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

The kiss of death (metaphorically speaking) is ” well he is such a nice guy…” Sorry but Americans are not looking for a “next-door-neighbor-in-chief” who will loan you his hedge clippers and feed your pets while you are out of town. The problems we face are too contentious and too dire.

txmomof6 on January 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Perhaps his fans are smarter?

lexhamfox on January 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

I’m sure they subscribe to an elitist philosophy, since there seem to be so few of them.

gryphon202 on January 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Profiles in Courage by John F Kennedy Ted Sorensen

portlandon on January 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

T-Paw is nice but forgettable. He is outselling that other nice guy governor, Bobby Jindal, whose sales would improve if he started acting like a candidate.

In a perfect world, Fred Thompson would’ve fulfilled his potential in 2008 and Marco Rubio would be ready to run in 2012. I want to draft a Jindal/Cheney ticket.

Terrie on January 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Too bad. Maybe the bobble head doll will do better.

mike_NC9 on January 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Common Sense on January 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

WTF? She has a TWENTY YEAR record almost ALL of it at the Chief Executive or Executive level!

No one else has as much actual experience as she does. No one else has her record of success.

gary4205 on January 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Terrie on January 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM

??????

So you wanted Teh Fred to be POTUS, only to be primaried by a Jr Senator who has never run a city and never run a state? Hell, we got that in office NOW.

GOVERNORS make good presidents, NOT congresscritters. Every one in modern times has been a disaster.

gary4205 on January 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

yeah, but what is his unfavorable numbers. The media will only cover people whose numbers are in the high 50′s and treat her as the only one. Being on the high teens on only name recognition will not get one anywhere.

tjexcite on January 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Ed Morrissey bought 4,999 of them.

Mark1971 on January 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

LOL; good zinger….
Sarah came to Billings on her book tour. We went to see her and get a signed book. We arrived 3-hours early and were blown away to see hundreds of people already in line. It was a nasty Montana winter day, and all those people braving the elements to see her and show her their support. She was incredibly gracious and energetic. I haven’t read the comments yet, most likely this has already been brought up; Sarah sold how many books in her first week…

Sarah will win the nomination if she decides to run. The GOP male front runners have stood by and let her get whacked on purpose. I for one think unkind thoughts about these men for allowing that to happen; including Pawlenty.

Keemo on January 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM

elcapt on January 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Groovy.

miConsevative on January 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I’ll tell you one GOP guy who I think is very impressive; Allen West… I want to watch this man’s career take off.

Keemo on January 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Gov. Pawlenty is a good man and I don’t wish him any ill. I hope sales of his book pick up.

ddrintn on January 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Pawlenty’s book doesn’t sell, Ed hardest hit.

jnelchef on January 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

ddrintn on January 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Ditto’s…

Keemo on January 20, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I read somewhere several years ago that there is a trick to getting your book on the N.Y. Times best-seller’s list. The maneuver appears to be going to key bookstores and buying your publication, in quantity, in one day. I think this works for record sales, too. The interest sparks the flame.
However, Palin and W’s books took off on their own; most likely because of a huge fan base, plus the detractors, who would want to parse them word for word, to come up with some idiot-dopiness, so they can say, “See!”.

betsyz on January 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Courage To Stand and Stay on the Book Shelves.

Geochelone on January 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM

How many did Palin’s sell in her first week?

wi farmgirl on January 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM

How many did Palin’s sell in her first week?

wi farmgirl on January 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM

According to Allah, 100 times that of T-Paw.

Geochelone on January 20, 2011 at 8:17 PM

5000 is a decent number for a future Secretary of Agriculture or Interior.
If he gets to 20,000 he can get to Secretary of Commerce-maybe.

jjshaka on January 20, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I feel bad for T-PAw, don’t know why though….

Common Sense on January 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Gosh, Hickenlooper’s always hit me as a fast talking jerk. Wouldn’t answer any questions about his land deals either.

unlisted on January 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM