Chris Christie “not arrogant enough” for POTUS run

posted at 3:50 pm on January 18, 2011 by Jazz Shaw

We hope you’ll excuse the multitude of Chris Christie articles of late, but the man continues to fascinate me every time he shows up in the news. This time he was making the rounds of Sunday morning chat festivals and, during a stop at Fox News, had the refreshing question of whether or not he would be running for president put to him for only the 3,287th time. The resulting answer, referencing a previous Zogby poll showing some excellent prospects for him, was informative.

“The president can rest easy because the only guy who beats him in that poll isn’t running,” Christie said on “Fox News Sunday.”

“I have a commitment to my state,” he said, adding that he’d only been governor for a year and New Jersey’s problems still need fixing.

“You have to believe in your heart that you’re personally ready to be president and I’m not there,” Christie said. “I am not arrogant enough to believe that after one year as governor … that I am ready to be president of the United States.”

“So I’m not going to run,” the governor said.

It’s a fascinating answer, if only for the refreshing breath of humility and honesty coming out of the mouth of a politician. But was there perhaps more to his one off comment than meets the eye?

Jim Hoft seems to feel it was a thinly veiled dig at Barack Obama and his rather scanty resume at the time of his election. At the other end of the scale, Doug Mataconis thought he might be taking a shot at Sarah Palin, who only has a few months more time in the governor’s mansion than Christie to her credit.

I’m not sure it was either, frankly, and Christie doesn’t seem inclined to say. Once you become jaded enough to actually write about politics full time it’s relatively easy to ascribe sinister motives to anything politicians say or do. But I tend to think that Christie was just being Christie, as usual, and shooting from the hip about what’s on his mind. It’s not really a shocking opinion to feel that you might need a bit more seasoning than a single year in office before seeking the biggest brass ring in the land.

Christie also needs to deliver a lot of serious results in the very troubled state of New Jersey before he can walk away feeling like a good day’s work has been done. But if he manages to right the ship in the toxic political and economic climate of the Garden State, watch out. Should he decide he would like to be president in 2016, barring any serious disqualifying scandals in the interim, he could be a serious force to be dealt with.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Zing! That’s gonna leave a mark.

RadClown on January 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM

No commments? I’m awestruck by his arrogance.

Don L on January 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM

He does, however, seem smart enough!

kens on January 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Strike one: supports Ground Zero mosque
Strike two: 2nd Amendment ignorance
Strike three: appointed muslim judge
Yer Out!

Wyatt Wingfoot on January 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM

What made him arrogant enough to run for Governor then?

Brian1972 on January 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Christie’s not so much a Republican as he is the best kind of Democrat. The kind of Democrat sane people used to want to vote for. The kind of Democrat you can no longer find in the Democratic Party.

Django on January 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Christie needs to stay in NJ and help shephard the coming Sharia laws of which he will have played a crucial hand.

Bleed_thelizard on January 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Gun Grabber.

End of Debate.

portlandon on January 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM

What made him arrogant enough to run for Governor then?

Brian1972 on January 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

His propensity for ripping the unions new bodily orifices, if you catch my drift. I’m far from convinced that makes him presidential material, but reining in the unions was a large part of his gubernatorial platform.

gryphon202 on January 18, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I dont know if that was a dig, but my honest opinion is that he really believes it would be arrogant at this point, he is sincerely not ready for it and he is especially not anxious to go up against Obama.

Being from this state, going up against not only a liberal democrat but the beloved historic first black president super wonderful Obama would really bring down the “you’re a racist” hate on him and his family from the locals.

Dash on January 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM

PLEASE. Christie’s whole statement is dripping with arrogance and condescention. I have a big surprise for all of you that think that Christie is some great conservative GOD. He is NOT. I live in New Jersey and voted for the man. He is MUCH better than any republican we have had but he has MAJOR problems (gun control, amnesty, not signing on to the healthcare lawsuits, endorsing MIKE CASTLE) Mark Levin is the only one to see Christie for what he is. He only shoots from the hip if the song is one from his “Teachers Unions are Bad” songbook. Just saying to Christie fans..be prepared for a letdown.

Dan Pet on January 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM

gryphon202 on January 18, 2011 at 4:11 PM

They union ripping is a must. He seems wrong in other areas though.

the_nile on January 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM

sorry to pop the bubble as I am also a Christie fan, but Jihad Watch is writing him off for appointing an attorney for Gitmo detainees to a Superior Court judgeship in Passiac county, HT to Jihadwatch.org see Jan 17 on its http://www.jihadwatch.org web site. Hamas links to many of the groups in the second largest Muslim population in the country going so far as to oppose deportation initiated by the department of Homeland security. What a shame!!!!

mdetlh on January 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Gun Grabber.

End of Debate.

portlandon

Looking back at the comments, I see that you guys get it already. Mike Castle-loving, gun grabbing, amnesty giving RINO. But I would still vote for him before CORZINE.

Dan Pet on January 18, 2011 at 4:16 PM

The assumption in your statement, of course, is that Obama will win reelection in 2012, and we’re not there yet. Pawlenty in ’12!

Pope Linus on January 18, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Not to nitpick, but wouldn’t Christie’s pick of a muslim sympathizer for Superior Court Judge be a larger story?

Kini on January 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I though Palin was the conservative God?

Da Palin pimps ain’t gonna be diggin dat play.

rickyricardo on January 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Connie on January 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Aw, you’all got there before me!!

Kini on January 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM

===========

Sounds like a honest answer!!

canopfor on January 18, 2011 at 4:22 PM

If he were to run he may win the northeast and west coast but he has not shot with the reast

KBird on January 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Kini on January 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Kini:Freaggin UghaRoo!!:)

canopfor on January 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM

mdetlh on January 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM

That could blow up in his face….

the_nile on January 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM

You Christie-haters have me dumbfounded. You don’t recognize competence when its staring you square in the face. The country is sinking quickly down the economic tubes and you’re worried about the Ground Zero mosque? Last time I checked, as abhorrent as the idea is, its perfectly legal. Only a statist conservative, who believes big government can be used to suit conservative ideas, would argue otherwise.

Unless this country can find someone to bring economic sense, it doesn’t matter whether a man has a C or an A+ from the NRA.

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Also, I love how simply mentioning the word “Muslim” before judge is enough to qualify as an insult towards him. He’s a terrorist sympathizer, potentially, but MUSLIM should not be the slanderous part of the sentence.

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:35 PM

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Not my choice of wording, but not my headline.

Connie on January 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Mr. Mohammed helped arrange a law enforcement job fair at a Paterson mosque in which young Muslims were encouraged to apply for jobs with law enforcement agencies. The session also featured a question-and-answer session for mosque members with the police and prosecutors.

From the NYT article on the judicial nominee. He sounds like a real radical to me.

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Christie FTW!!!

keepinitreal on January 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Not my choice of wording, but not my headline.

Connie on January 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I’m not blaming you for it…let’s just say that won’t be a website I frequent. I fully accept the threat we face with militarized Islam, but I don’t need fanatics telling me about it. I’ll stick with Mark Steyn.

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Why do you think he encouraged young Muslims to join law enforcement agencies?

Connie on January 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Chris Christie..Ugh!
=======================
The lawyer, Sohail Mohammed, worked in the aftermath of the attacks to try to foster trust between American Muslims and law enforcement, particularly federal officials.

He is a board member of the American Muslim Union. Mr. Christie, a United States attorney, was a regular guest at that group’s annual Ramadan dinner and spoke highly of Mr. Mohammed’s work.

========

More links,here!

Chris Christie Nominates Sohail Mohammed to NJ Superior Court
January 18, 2011

canopfor on January 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM

You Christie-haters have me dumbfounded.

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM

jimmy the notable:Chris Christie has great support on this
site,and suppression of information,or
truth is paramount #1 on H/A,good,or bad!

canopfor on January 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Why do you think he encouraged young Muslims to join law enforcement agencies?

Connie on January 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM

So he could send them secret coded messages about how to bring down the US, of course. LOL.

I don’t know, because he’s in law enforcement and they’re young and he wants to have a job fair. They’re also young Americans, they’re just a segment of the population he can relate to more successfully, potentially, than a white guy could.

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM

canopfor on January 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM

IMO, trying to foster trust, he’s doing a service to this country. The more trust he fosters between moderate Muslims and law enforcement, the more likely those moderates are to report radical behavior to the proper authorities. They’re not all mindless drones waiting to be brainwashed by Osama.

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:52 PM

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM

A majority sees the problem with building the mosque so close even though they know it’s fully legal, why dont Christie?

the_nile on January 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

With over a year in office, Christie only has a ‘few months more than Palin’ in the governor’s mansion of his state? Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Sarah Palin beginning her second term when she resigned? Didn’t she already have years of executive experience as mayor and governor when she was picked as McCain’s VP candidate?

Not denigrating Christie here. I like his combative style and straightforward, no-nonsense approach. I happen to think most of his appeal is in his style rather than his stance on national issues, should he ever choose to articulate at least some of them clearly.

Get it right, please.

troyriser_gopftw on January 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM

the_nile on January 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

If I had to venture a guess, its that Christie is playing the moderate on the issue and remaining silent. He knows his #1 duty is to the state of New Jersey. He doesn’t need headaches that he has no control over. It was shrewd of him to basically pass the baton on this issue. He didn’t say “We need this mosque to foster tolerance!” and he didn’t say “This mosque is offensive and we cannot allow it!”

In his actual statement, he even uses the phrase radical Muslim extremists. He isn’t afraid to use their religion, like many Dems, to identify their particular brand of insanity, but he also doesn’t want to enter an arena that gains him no political hay, especially in his home state. It IS a liberal state and the only way he can continue getting support is to be as moderate as possible socially while fighting fiercely to be an economic conservative. That’s why I like him, that’s what this country needs.

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Yada yada yada.

the_nile on January 18, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Only a moron like Jazz Shaw would be “fascinated” by this walking turd, Christie.

But it got ya a chance to take a shot at Palin though, didn’t it?

What a complete and total loser you are.

gary4205 on January 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Strike three: appointed muslim judge
Yer Out!

Wyatt Wingfoot on January 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Why is a muslim judge any more of a problem than a catholic judge or a methodist judge? It’s only an issue if he starts basing his rulings in sharia law. As long as he applies the laws of NJ and the U.S. appropriately, muslim judges are just fine.

hawksruleva on January 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM

hawksruleva on January 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Because…because…because…ummmm

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM

hawksruleva on January 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM
Because…because…because…ummmm

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM

because as the jihadwatch people point out there are ties to Hamas in the second largest Muslim population- with all the radical mosques and Saudi funding any thinking person would suspect that Sharia will become part of the equation in Passaic county and thats why I have written him off for president, if he is too daft to fight against links to terrorists, well then- UMMMM UMMMM UMMM too bad for him,-not that he has shown any interest in pursuing the presidency anyway- I’m sure that he’ll do fine by the rest of the NJ counties while he is there.

mdetlh on January 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM

l live in New York State so I’m not privy to the info you have and my news of Christie is usually on U-Tube. I’ll keep my mouth shut.

mixplix on January 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I going to refure to Christie as the Lone Ranger from now on. This man might be the best one trick pony rider in history. Hi-yo, Silver! Away!

wheelgun on January 18, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Good. Good riddance to him. Hey Jazz Shaw: I just donated to SarahPac. Funny how that money bomb link has already been taken down.

long_cat on January 18, 2011 at 9:04 PM

If a “few months” means another year and a half.

Cindy Cooper on January 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM

When people started talking about a Christie run for President I thought it was insane- repeat the same mistake that Democrats has just done with Obama? Obama gave a speech and was catapulted to liberal stardom- Christie gave a couple of townhall meetings, and conservatives wanted to do the same?

Then the news about his views on the Second Amendment became known.

And then came the Jihad Watch post.

Christie might be a great GOP governor for blue-state NJ, but it seems to me that NJ is where he should stay.

Jay Mac on January 18, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I love how no one here respects “Jazz Shaw”. Hilarious.

long_cat on January 18, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I’ll stick with Mark Steyn.

jimmy the notable on January 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Who would tell you the same thing.

Connie on January 18, 2011 at 10:02 PM

This is incredible.

How about a Hotair piece on this story?

AshleyTKing on January 18, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I also notice he does not seem to appreciate the magnitude and sourcing of the Islamist problem. This would be a very bad thing to have in person sitting in the office of the President.

{^_^}

herself on January 19, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Here’s the issue, folks.

A leftist Democrat (since Christie is not running in 2012 and won’t be facing Obama) vs. Christie.

Who are you voting for?