Scott Brown: Don’t focus on that itty bitty “R” after my name

posted at 8:35 pm on January 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

You guys will groan and grumble in the comments, but let’s face it. Given Scotty B’s huge war chest, his rosy approval rating, and the fact that the big red wave completely — and I do mean completely — evaporated in Massachusetts in November, this guy could go around wearing an “I *Heart* Pelosi” pin and he’s still not seriously going to be challenged by tea partiers. Even the Democratic mayor of Boston thinks he’s unbeatable. The national momentum for the GOP before the Delaware primary was such that it didn’t seem totally crazy (just mostly crazy) to think O’Donnell might win the general too. But in Massachusetts two years from now? With Obama at the top of the ticket? Brown might be literally the only person in Massachusetts capable of holding the seat for Republicans.

Well … I suppose there’s another. But he’s not in politics. Yet.

U.S. Sen. Scott Brown said this morning he’ll take part in the bipartisan seating at President Obama’s State of the Union address, urging that people need to move past the “itty-bitty letter” signifying he’s a Republican at the end of his name.

“I’ll sit where ever they put me. I don’t care,” Brown said at the Martin Luther King Jr. breakfast in Boston. “That’s the type of attitude we need to have not only in Washington but here in our local political system where people need to forget about the little itty-bitty letter behind my name and other people’s names and just kind of get going and get our jobs going and do what’s best for this state and this country.”…

“What’s happening in the House and in the Senate with people not talking, well I have to tell you that’s changed since I got there. People are forced to talk. Some of my best friends are Democrats. We go out and try to work things through and try to move our country forward,” Brown said. “I think Dr. King would appreciate the bipartisanship that I have shown that others have shown.”

Three days ago he told the Globe that he won’t support any new federal gun-control regulations, and here he is reiterating to NECN that yes, he still supports repealing ObamaCare. He may be a RINO, but he’s a good RINO. Or is there no such thing as a “good RINO”? Except for me, of course.

Comments

Right. Focus on the INO after it.

He might be doing what he thinks will get him re-elected in Mass, but that just proves he’s insincere and did and said what he had to to get elected in the first place. Makes him a man without honor. Makes him Arlen Specter.

BKeyser on January 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM

All democrat party victories are lifetime appointments. Baring unexpected circumstances.

Skandia Recluse on January 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Probably have to do that in Massachusetts. Sometimes reality stinks I know. Even if we get his vote 50% of the time, that’s better than 0% with your typical liberal Democrat. Sigh.

Hummer53 on January 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Yes, he’s untouchable right now. But if, by some miracle, we seem to have a chance of winning with someone more conservative, then primary his azz immediately.

Emily M. on January 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM

You know what? Screw it. If Scotty B. needs to RINO-it up in order to win again in Massachusetts, then so be it. The Tea Party should definitely challenge him just to keep him honest, but I get the sense that Brown at least wants and tries to be as conservative as he can be within his political constraints. That’s a good foundation. Ultimately we need to recognize that if we want hard-core conservative politicians out of MA then we need to persuade more MA voters to adopt hard-core conservative principles.

Robert_Paulson on January 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I’ll take Scott Brown over Ted Kennedy or Martha Coakley any day.

KSgop on January 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM

He doesn’t pay attention to it, why should anyone else?

SouthernGent on January 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Actually, they shouldn’t (sit together). If you don’t want to sit with someone you shouldn’t have to…this isn’t kindergarten. They would end up using these pictures against each other anyway. It is respectful enough that they are in the same room together.

tomas on January 17, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Er, I though we were all exicted about him as the vote to stop Obamacare. He wasn’t able to be that vote and I could really care less about who holds certain seats as long as there enough conservatives in the Senate to stop the really horrible stuff.

Whatevs. He’s bound to be better than a Mass. Liberal and at least he hasn’t killed any young women.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 17, 2011 at 8:44 PM

He may be a RINO, but he’s a good RINO.

Beats the hell out of a Kennedy. Yeah, for Massachusetts, he’s a pretty awesome ‘r’. We don’t need a clone of him in any red states though.

AUINSC on January 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I sent Brown $35. The only thing he has accomplished is to prevent passage of the DREAM Act.

bw222 on January 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Let’s primary the guy and give the seat back to the Dems.

That’ll show ‘em!

YYZ on January 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM

rino

Philly on January 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I’ll take Scott Brown over Ted Kennedy or Martha Coakley any day.

KSgop on January 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Yeah, me too.

The guy’s in Mass. It doesn’t get much better in a state that blue. Put him in Utah and it’d be different but Mass isn’t gonna be Utah any time soon.

MikeknaJ on January 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM

I really don’t expect Attila the Hun to be popular in Massachusetts …. Andy Pandy, maybe …

OldEnglish on January 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Let’s primary the guy and give the seat back to the Dems.

That’ll show ‘em!

YYZ on January 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM

And that’s exactly what will happen.

Knucklehead on January 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM

OT: Uh-oh…Sarah looks pissed.

SouthernGent on January 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Better him than Patrick “Patches” Kennedy. Either Brown is too strong, or Patches a total laughing stock even to the Kennedy worshippers.

Marcus on January 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Don’t focus on that itty bitty “R” after my name

Don’t worry…I’m sure they won’t.

Jaibones on January 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM

There is no such thing as a good RINO. All RINOs need to be hunted into political extinction.

madmonkphotog on January 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM

OT: Uh-oh…Sarah looks pissed.

SouthernGent on January 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I am sure Allah will have another Palin thread after the big interview, right?

lukespapa on January 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM

He, Kelly Ayotte, and the gnome sisters keep the GOP alive in New England. Hold your nose and build for the future. Our party is better for having them now. When we take the majority then consider things, but to primary any of them when we are on the verge of taking the Senate is too stupid for words.

Jdripper on January 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Robert_Paulson on January 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I agree with you. What bothers me is how Brown phrases his points in that article. He needs to understand that his convictions as an “R” should be in the interests of his state constituents and the nation and that he should champion those “R” solutions with fervor. Unless he can prove otherwise, “R” legislation should not be at cross purposes with what he is representing on behalf of his state or the nation. His belittling of the party he represents by claiming that it is just a meaningless, “itty, bitty R” may seem collegial to him, but the letter “D” means something very important to his political opponents.

onlineanalyst on January 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Brown is fine- people have to be realistic especially after Massachusetts doubled down on stupid in November. The fact he’s a real favorite to win in 2012 is like stealing one ( you don’t complain about the gift).
If people want to get pissed off, direct it at someone like Coryn in Texas- whats his excuse?

jjshaka on January 17, 2011 at 9:27 PM

And get the Lugar out!

onlineanalyst on January 17, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Put it another way- my imbecile state just elected Jerry Brown and Boxer because our nominees stunk on ice and were as popular as bubonic plague.
I’d cut off my right arm to have a popular, squishy Republican in charge.

jjshaka on January 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM

And cut the kindergartenish seating arrangements for the SOTU. Go to lunch with your party opposites if it is so important to sit by them. What’s next? “Together We Thrive” tee shirts from OFA as a uniform for the televised spectacle?

onlineanalyst on January 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Primary him. And if it’s an O’Donnell type of blowout, so be it. I’d rather have a Democrat with a “D” next to him name than a Democrat with a teenie “R” next to his name.

angryed on January 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM

OK so for the defenders of all things RINO, esspalin to me how a Brown vote on liberal policies is better than a Kennedy vote on liberal policies.

Brown has voted with Obama on everything that’s counted. DADT, with Obama. START, with Obama. Banking Takeover Act, with Obama. Extending unemployment benefits for the 817th time, with Obama. And on and on. But I suppose his vote counts less than a Kennedy vote right?

angryed on January 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM

bw222 on January 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

People say this sort of thing a lot, but its not entirely true. As the swing vote, bills come to the floor only when Harry Reid knows he has Brown. If he doesnt have Brown, the bill never comes up and he never officially records a ‘no vote’.

The only reason he got to record a no vote on DREAM Act is because Harry Reid made promises during the campaign that he had to keep.

Reid was going to bring Omnibus Spending with ObamaCare funding to the floor until Brown cam out against it. He killed it without voting for it.

He never had a chance to vote against ObamaCare, cap and trade, card check, the repeal of the Bush tax cuts because they never got to the floor because of him.

He also had some votes on other issues that people forget like Elena Kagan and DISCLOSE Act.

Far from perfect, by I get tired of the meme pushed by people like Mark Levin that it would have made no difference if Martha Coakley won, it would have made a huge difference including having ObamaCare with a public option.

swamp_yankee on January 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM

What total stupidity from the real RINOs here that have their ideologically pure tests. Hey RINOs try to understand this if you have the capacity. The Majority Leader of the Senate you bozos calls legislation to the floor of the Senate for a vote. Get it? It is who you vote for as majority leader of the Senate that matters. Understand? Hello RINOs with your idiotic purity tests. If you would rather have a Democrat sitting in a seat then a Republican then you are not a Republican and calling Republicans RINOs shows how shallow, immature and hopeless you are.

Jdripper on January 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM

angryed on January 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Because he will NOT vote for all of the things Kennedy or a liberal would. Be serious – in your heart you know it’s true. In our rush to de-RINO-fy the world we gloss over very real differences between moderate Republicans and moderate-liberals/hard-left liberals. If we are intellectually honest we will note that the differences, while not always as striking as you might want them to be, are very real.

Brown has already made a difference. He will continue to do so in ways that a Kennedy never would. And should a Republican win the White House in 2012 he’ll side with that President on important things like SCOTUS nominees where Kennedy would be leading the opposition.

MikeknaJ on January 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Holding seats cor the GOP is not my priority.

How does he vote? So far he’s a disappointment. He can redeem himself perhaps with a vote to repeal Ocare.

james23 on January 17, 2011 at 10:02 PM

angryed on January 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Well, coming from the most liberal state in the union. A state, where conservative (Sean Bielat) Republicans and moderate (Charlie Baker) Republicans got wiped out in 2010, you get a senator that:

Fights for tax cuts, fights omnibus spending, opposes earmarks, never requested an earmark, opposes new gun restrictions, fights amnesty, opposed civilian trial for terrorists, supports AZSB 1070, votes against liberal judges, will vote to repeal ObamaCare, voted against DISCLOSE act and restrictions of conservative speech and campaign funding, opposes cap and trade, card check…

How about explaining to me how Martha Coakley or Ted Kennedy would have sided with Republicans on such issues?

But throw him out because he is not perfect. Perfect is the enemy of good, which is a lesson too many have not learned.

swamp_yankee on January 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Robert_Paulson on January 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Ditto. Scott Brown is a Massachusetts Senator who is a NO vote for Obamacare, Stimulus, Card Check, and probably Cap and Trade and is a YES vote for cloture on almost any Republican issue.

That’s as good as we’re going to get; and as good as we actually need. If we need the help of a Senator from the second bluest state in the nation to vote for a bill, that bill isn’t passing anyway.

HitNRun on January 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM

MikeknaJ on January 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM

His votes:

YES on DADT repeal
YES on START
YES on Banking Nationalization Act
YES on extending unemployment yet again
YES on $35B stimulus

Aside from a NO on DREAM, what has he done differently than a Kennedy would have done?

angryed on January 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM

oh and almost forgot

YES on bot of Obama’s SCOTUS nominees.

Good thing he’s there and not Martha. Imagine how much worse it would have been.

angryed on January 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM

This is no surprise. I knew exactly what kind of Republican would get elected in Mass.

ladyingray on January 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM

angryed on January 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Are you dense? People here just names a bunch of things and he voted NO against Elena Kagan.

The main article cites how he will vote against ObamaCare and oppose new gun restrictions. I actually link an article that named him a the key opposition in killing Omnibus spending. There are dozens of differences. You look really stupid right now.

swamp_yankee on January 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM

swamp_yankee on January 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Thanks for your balanced list of plus points for Scott Brown. He is not a “pure” conservative, but he is the best that we can get from MA. I’d rather have him over of “social justice ‘D’” from that state.

onlineanalyst on January 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM

When Scott Brown says he’s a vote for Repeal, he’s lying.

Have a look at the “Issues” page of his official senate.gov website and you’ll come across this bit on under “Healthcare”:

I believe we must focus on fixing and replacing the worst parts of this law with common-sense health care reforms that drive down costs, make it easier for people to purchase affordable insurance, and strengthen the existing private market system.

“fixing and replacing”- a deliberate play on and refutation of Repeal and Replace. Nothing on his website about repealing that law. He might make a token vote for in favour of the symbolic repeal that’s coming up, but when it counts he’ll vote against full repeal.

Scott Brown is a fraud.

sartana on January 17, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I suspected that he was a RINO from the start, but he did vote against ObaMaocare. If he votes for the repealing of ObaMaocare, I say we Pay him to run as an Independent.

Slowburn on January 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM

He failed to understand the weight his election carried. Sadly he is no hero. Might as well be true to himself and change to the “D” side straight away.

FireBlogger on January 17, 2011 at 11:45 PM

See here’s the deal though. He’s taking money and support from REPUBLICANS. Supposedly that stands for something, I guess. But let’s point this in an even bigger perspective. The RNC just got itself a nice new chairman. This nice new chairman is gonna wanna knock on my door and say we need to support our Republican candidates with your money. But then they want to put in place people who will take my money but don’t want to be politically associated with me by be referenced by a “R” I don’t give a sh!t how itty bitty it is seems a little bit outta whack with my morals on how I spend my money.

Put more succinctly, if these are the kinds of people my money is going to support, don’t be expecting any money anytime soon. And as for you Sen. Brown? I suggest you stick to your own state for your funding.

Sultry Beauty on January 18, 2011 at 12:15 AM

You fight your wars with the Army you have, not the one you wish you had. Every member of the Republican caucus is vitally important because it’s one less for the opposition to depend upon. Ask Jim DeMint if he’d rather have a Kennedy holding that seat. Or ask Harry Reid.

Metanis on January 18, 2011 at 12:25 AM

How very Obamaesque!

Cindy Munford on January 18, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I’d cut off my right arm to have a popular, squishy Republican in charge.

jjshaka on January 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I don’t disagree with you jj, but let’s face it. We had that in “Da Governatah” and we all (well not all) loved him, till he proved to be worse for this state then Grey Davis, and only slightly better then “Moonbeam”, but hey! At least Grey Davis didn’t date Linda Rondstat, eh?

Vntnrse on January 18, 2011 at 1:00 AM

You fight your wars with the Army you have, not the one you wish you had.

Metanis on January 18, 2011 at 12:25 AM

That was before Obama became President and took the destruction of the country into hyperdrive.

Face it – Scott Brown won his seat riding on the backs of tea partiers who went all out to swing Massachussetts for him. And what did he do in return? Stab them in the back and reveal himself as another squishy RINO who stands for no principles just political posturing. Hence, the thrashing of Repubs in Mass. during the midterms.

You know what will happen the next time around? Tea partiers might not bother to primary him but we’ll let him flame out on his own. Good luck to him trying to whip the enthusiasm that carried him the last time. Many will simply not bother to show up at the polls for him.

TheRightMan on January 18, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Scott Brown isn’t going to get re-elected in MA. His election surprised the Dem machine, in an off year election, running a weak opponent.

With Obama on the ticket and the machine in overdrive, he has no chance. So, if he had any principles he should have stood for them. But he doesn’t.

I’m embarrassed I spent the effort I did on his behalf. I won’t make that mistake again.

18-1 on January 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM

18-1 on January 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM

I won’t go that far, I enjoyed the heck out that campaign and the shock of the Left. And he’s still better than Cloakley would have been. He does seem a bit to proud of himself.

Cindy Munford on January 18, 2011 at 1:36 AM

18-1 on January 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Spoken like a true Democrat.

Red Cloud on January 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM

TheRightMan on January 18, 2011 at 1:06 AM

What are you talking about? If you didn’t know who he was from the start you weren’t paying attention. He’s exactly the kind of Senator most of us figured he’d be. If you were expecting Sarah Palin in a suit you should’ve done your research beforehand.

MikeknaJ on January 18, 2011 at 1:53 AM

I hope he doesn’t mind the itty-bitty ZERO contribution he’s getting from me next election.

leftnomore on January 18, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Well, he will find out that you have to have an enthusiastic base to help get out the vote. Who is his base in his state in 12 with O’loser on the top of the ticket? He also won’t be getting national contributions like he did before. We wanted to get “teddy’s seat” out of the clutches of the Dems to make a point. The point was made. With 23 Dems up for defeat in 2012, a lot of us are going to be putting our attention and $$ toward other, more important races. We just might have to win one extra state in case this guy doesn’t carry the day for himself in 2012.

However, I am grateful he spiked the dream act. We have to close our borders and disallow amnesty, our country’s future depends on not opening that fiscal fiasco.

karenhasfreedom on January 18, 2011 at 2:54 AM

18-1 on January 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Do people even read the blogs before they post anymore? His warchest is huge; poll after poll shows he beats all Dems contenders; poll after poll shows he popular. Boston’s mayor stated point blank that no one can beat him. Its all in the article if people only know how to read.

Yet, so many put on there wishful thinking caps and talk about how he is going to lose because… nothing. Supported by no facts. Just widhful thinking.

We need every vote to repeal ObamaCare. Every one.

swamp_yankee on January 18, 2011 at 4:11 AM

bw222 on January 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM

That was worth $35 to me.

DFCtomm on January 18, 2011 at 4:15 AM

We need every vote to repeal ObamaCare. Every one.

swamp_yankee on January 18, 2011 at 4:11 AM

What on earth makes you think that this liberal is going to vote to repeal O’BozoCare?! You live in a dream world, Dude.

Go find me Scott Brown’s quote calling for repeal. And brush up on your spelling.

Jaibones on January 18, 2011 at 6:43 AM

No surprises here, we knew he was RINO, the nude photo of him gave it away:)

So, the Good Witch of the North asks Dorothy(going under the alias AP); “Are you a Good RINO or a Bad RINO?”
And Dorothy replies, “I’m not a RINO at all!”

Done That on January 18, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Christine O’Donnell would have won in delaware if so called conservatives hadn’t spent the month before the election on fox arguing that she couldn’t win and shouldn’t have run. Everyone here can thank sean hannity for inviting squishy’s on his show every night to spew that negativity.

peacenprosperity on January 18, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Of course Senator. Whether you are R or D, you’re an L.

Liberal! And stop masquerading that you’re fiscally conservative! After weighing on all those bills that you had given your astounding Yeah …

YOU… MR. BROWN, IS JUST LIKE TED KENNEDY: STATIST, PRO-BIG GOVERNMENT!

TheAlamos on January 18, 2011 at 7:58 AM

We need every vote to repeal ObamaCare. Every one.

swamp_yankee on January 18, 2011 at 4:11 AM

Swamp, even the reliable republicans most of the time are having a second thought in repealing Obamacare.

Scott Brown? Don’t break your own heart.

Said republicans have a “good” reference: the squish Charles Crappyhummer!

TheAlamos on January 18, 2011 at 8:01 AM

inviting squishy’s on his show

Furthermore, does everyone here realize that hannity and o’reilly give a voice and platform to these people who are undermining conservative chances? They do it to make themselves look more conservative and bolster thier ratings. At the same time people like rove and nicole wallace and the other foul mccain campaign people are actively trying to destroy any possible conservative candidates so the squishy the eventually latch on to will do better in the primaries and enhance thier own bank accounts.

peacenprosperity on January 18, 2011 at 8:02 AM

So Scotty, I guess that little “r” could stand for reprobate. Hmmm……….

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on January 18, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Jaibones on January 18, 2011 at 6:43 AM

Wow, you are an idiot. Calling for a quote, when there is one attached in the blog.

Instead, you link an irrelevant alternative bill giving states the right to op-out, which really isnt a bad idea if we never get the numbers to repeal the bill.

swamp_yankee on January 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I really don’t understand any of the hate for him.. he is a Republican senator in Massachusetts. Let me say that again: Massachusetts. He is absolutely brilliant politically- voting with the dems on just enough less than critical legislation to be taken seriously in MA, and supporting the R’s when it really counts. I donated to his campaign a couple times, and I’ve never once regretted it. In fact, it may have been the best political investment I’ve ever made.

ReformedAndDangerous on January 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM

OK. rINO!

kens on January 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

You’d all rather have a dem than a rino? Guess keeping obamacare and high spending is worth it?

Esthier on January 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM