Michael Reagan on Ron’s Alzheimer claims: Let’s face it, he’s an embarrassment

posted at 5:23 pm on January 17, 2011 by Allahpundit

An obligatory follow-up to Friday’s post, with Michael openly wondering whether Ron might have ended up pulling the lever for Mondale in 1984. One thing I neglected to mention on Friday: Isn’t it an unfortunate tradition for presidents to continue in office long after their health has become a major liability? For all the obsession about Reagan’s occasional memory lapses, you’d never know that arguably the two most influential Democratic chief execs of the 20th century were both heavily burdened by illness in their last years in office. Wilson had a catastrophic stroke in 1919, a year and a half before his second term expired, and FDR was already so frail by the time of the 1944 election that Democrats booted Henry Wallace from the ticket in favor of Truman precisely because they feared the VP would end up as president relatively soon. Reagan’s problems were comparatively minor until a few years after he left office, but as Michael says, pretending he was already lost in the fog of Alzheimer’s is a useful way to deny him credit for his achievements. And of course, it turns Reagan into a vividly literal example of the stereotypical Republican who’s “out of touch with reality.”

But there’s no use fighting this rumor; it’s been around forever and will go on forever, precisely because it serves political ends, however cheaply. In fact, I remember as a kid my parents talking about it while Reagan was in his second term, with the claim at the time being that Nancy, as her husband’s caretaker, was effectively running the country. Quoth my dad, “She’s doing an awfully good job.”

Comments

he’s an embarrassment

And hardore leftist which means if lying about his father will help the agenda … then full steam ahead.

darwin on January 17, 2011 at 5:25 PM

It was all an act by Reagan.

The SNL skit pretty much sums it up.

portlandon on January 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Only the most vial fools embrace the lie…

right2bright on January 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM

And the rumors that Kennedy was in pretty tough shape and resorting to painkillers much of the time.

Still, early stage Alzheimer’s is usually manifest as a bit of forgetfulness. No big. That’s what chief executives have secretaries for.

S. Weasel on January 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM

portlandon,
that was a classic

rob verdi on January 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Ronny has been an embarrassment long before now. What a dick.

Splashman on January 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM

BHO is afflicted with Marxism…

d1carter on January 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM

don’t forget JFK. he had a ton of health problems going back to childhood. his family, their power and money, and the press successfully helped him hide it.

cameo on January 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM

There’s hope for Alec Baldwin! Reagan’s decency & civility are still changing hearts. I wish some 21st century conservatives would learn from that.

itsnotaboutme on January 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM

He and hi sister are both a piece of work. I will never forget Reagan’s funeral where these vile two made asinine lib speeches and more or less left Michael out. Despicable.

sandee on January 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Dishonoring your father is a helluva way to behave in front of his grandkids and their grandmother.

ted c on January 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM

pimf hi=his

sandee on January 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM

While I completely agree with Michael, I hate seeing this kind of stuff aired out in public. I guess the family member with the least amount of character and class dictates the entry level of the discourse.

Inanemergencydial on January 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Ron, you dishonor the memory of the finest American President in my lifetime, who gave you everything you have. Without that last name you carry, MSNBC and the other Libs wouldn’t give you the time of day, you little weasel.

kingsjester on January 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM

It was all an act by Reagan.

The SNL skit pretty much sums it up.

portlandon on January 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM

That was brilliant. I miss both Reagan and Hartman, lol

Midas on January 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

OK, but:

If Reagan DID have dementia AND accomplished all he did, doesn’t that make his accomplishments even awesom-er??!!

Ron Jr. is so stupid he didn’t think of that.

ConservativeTalkRadio on January 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I must say, I’m VERY impressed that a half-assed ballet queen is such an authority on dementia. I never reralized he’d BEEN to medical school. Perhaps President Obeyme should appoint Little Ronnie as The Alzheimer’s Tzar.

oldleprechaun on January 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

S. Weasel on January 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Not a rumor, a fact. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, Kennedy was flying as high as a kite. He couldn’t drive a car with the amount of narcotics running through his system.

David in ATL on January 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM

True. But this is brother, against brother here. One is taking offense, while the other is spewing his crap for attention.

Michael it seems to me, is simply trying to defend his fathers honor, and memory.

capejasmine on January 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM

So what’s Ogabe’s excuse?

Caper29 on January 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM

And Carter’s excuse for his behavior in office is…?

Lily on January 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

So what’s Ogabe’s excuse?

Caper29 on January 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Hubris.

And Carter’s excuse for his behavior in office is…?

Lily on January 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Hormones.

kingsjester on January 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM

portlandon,
that was a classic

rob verdi on January 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I agree! And if SNL had a funny bone left in it`s body, it would have played up the same angle for W. Instead they went the lazy route.

ThePrez on January 17, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Reminds me of Sheriff Buford T. Justice:

“There ain’t no way…no WAY…you could’a come from my loins. When we get home, the first thing I’m gonna do…is punch your Mama in the mouth!”

davidk on January 17, 2011 at 5:43 PM

capejasmine on January 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Time to stand up to the lies. We have seen what the left will do to the right in regards to the AZ shootings and they are willing to do the same to Reagan. I am tired of the right just taking it. It is good to see a change in regards to responding to such charges.

CWforFreedom on January 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Jane’s kids turned out so much better than Nancy’s did. I have often felt sorry for Nancy about that.

talking_mouse on January 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Hell, the Left is still getting away with accusing Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck etc. of murder, why not this?

catmman on January 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Ronald Reagan changed my life. I saw the country go from what felt like mass depression to feeling a healthy dose of pride in our country. The flags came out and I felt the moral change. He solidified my belief in Conservative principles because he explained things so well and as I said, I FELT the difference between the Carter malaise and the Reagan exuberance.

I LOVE Ronald Reagan. I really don’t know what his son’s problem is, but it’s a shame he feels the need to vilify his father. He’s never grown up and taken responsibility for his own life. Sad.

Joy on January 17, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I still like the quip that Iran-Contra was causing Reagan many sleepless afternoons.

You can’t say that unless you love the guy.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM

JFK didn’t just have health problems, he was dependent on some heavy narcotics. I’ve been there myself and can honestly tell you that that gives you some mighty “brain fog.” And Nancy, bless her heart, was not really bright enough or decisive enough to run a food cart.

di butler on January 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM

If there was any chance in a million this is true and Junior kept it a secret for quarter of a century, anyone believing that is sicker than this cowardly weasel

volsense on January 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM

S. Weasel on January 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM
cameo on January 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM

What? Is this the Journolist meme of the week? To compare Reagan with JFK in order to lend validity to R.Jr.?

Come on. Numerous doctors have contradicted the Reagan rumors. (Not the media, BTW. Media is not the equivalent of physicians).

INC on January 17, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Sorry, not Journolist–s/b Cabalist.

INC on January 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Sitting here patiently waiting for AnninCa to tell us all about Ronald Reagan’s health problems and how she agrees with little Ronnie.

Knucklehead on January 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Ronald Reagan changed the course of history…. However, I have to say…Ronald Reagan Jr helped change my daily life.

In Ron Reagan’s role as host/chief commentator on numerous dog shows on Animal Planet…he helped me choose the perfect dog breed to rescue!!!!

Bless you, RR Jr.

/////

marybel on January 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Reagan’s accomplishments while in office speak for themselves. And those accomplishments include the fall of the Berlin Wall, and of Soviet Communism after he had left office. I won’t be buying or reading Ron jr’s book…don’t need to.

JetBoy on January 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM

That’s a fascinating Alec Baldwin anecdote. And an amazingly public bitter family feud among the Reagans.

paul1149 on January 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Knucklehead on January 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

She is my favorite Puppet. The eyes, they look so real.

portlandon on January 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM

So your father did all that with half his brain tied behind his back? I think that’s what you’re trying to say Ronnie.

BKennedy on January 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM

If you have read either the abridged version or the complete set of his personal letters, he appeared to have it together even after he left office. Everyone’s faculties degrade after a while, but taking his personal correspondence as a measure, he seemed to be thoughtful and well reasoned.

Over all, I just remember the Reagans as a nice family. I was too young to remember much, but while he was Governor, they lived about 10 blocks away from our house in Sacramento. My sister, 8 years my senior, recalls that Ron Reagan was friendly, and a typical teenager. It’s awkward when you don’t get along with a family member, and on its face, it seems that Ron P Reagan is either trying to make a buck off the family name, or just wants to bolster his political perspective by demeaning the legacy of his father.

juanito on January 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Knucklehead on January 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Shhh, she’s sleeping off her earlier rant party,

katy the mean old lady on January 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Hmmmm

Second term. Ap a kid

More details emerge.

blatantblue on January 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM

The SNL skit pretty much sums it up.

portlandon on January 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I remember that one, from back when SNL was still sometimes funny.

Wish Phil Hartman were still around. He was good, and I bet he could have done a hilarious Obama.

AZCoyote on January 17, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Excellent response to his clear Alinsky tactic below:

RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating.

faraway on January 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Knucklehead on January 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Stop it, stop it now! Your just being a Jerk____Anninca

SHARPTOOTH on January 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM

I’m just wondering whether Ron and Rahm, the Tiny Dancers, ever balleted together?

TXUS on January 17, 2011 at 6:18 PM

She is my favorite Puppet. The eyes, they look so real bloodshot.

portlandon on January 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Fixed.

Knucklehead on January 17, 2011 at 6:18 PM

And Carter’s excuse for his behavior in office is…?

Lily on January 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Do you not recall Miz Lillian once stating publicly that when she looked at her children, she wished she had remained a virgin?

“Miz Lillian” was a favorite of the press for her Southern charm and down-to-earth manner. For reporters and interrogators alike, she always had a warm country sass response for every question. She once remarked “When I look at my four children sometimes I say to myself, Lillian, you should have stayed a virgin.” When Jimmy told his mother he was going to run for president, she said “President of what?”.

She was actually the only Carter that didn’t make want to vomit on sight, but then, she was only a Carter by marriage.

oldleprechaun on January 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM

It was all an act by Reagan.

The SNL skit pretty much sums it up.

portlandon on January 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Classic! I remember another good SNL skit with Eddie Murphy, who claimed he was Ronald Reagan’s illegitimate son, and was embarrassed by his half-brother, Ron, who was “running around the country in a pair of Danskins”. Can’t find the video for it, but it was hilarious.

Kevin71 on January 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Knucklehead on January 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I think she’s tied up at the moment in her capacity as head of Neurology at California Pacific Medical Center.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Hmmmm

Second term. Ap a kid

More details emerge.

blatantblue on January 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM

You know, old HA’ers know his age.

We even saw a photo, mostly of the back of his head.

TexasDan on January 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM

We even saw a photo, mostly of the back of his head.

TexasDan on January 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM

I remember that…the most we’ve ever seen of him, or probably ever will see.

JetBoy on January 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Has anyone yet mentioned John Kennedy’s mortally bad health prior to that whole shooting thing?

TouchingTophet on January 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM

<blockquote>OK, but:

Ron Jr. is so stupid he didn’t think of that.

ConservativeTalkRadio on January 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Fixed that for you.

john1schn on January 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I figured this would escalate in the public eye. Poor Michael. The guy has always been the black sheep of the family, even tho Nancy’s two kids have been nothing but grief for both of their parents since birth.

I just don’t get the point of Ron’s book. What purpose does it serve now to publish all of this speculation? The man was nearly 80 years old when he left office. If he wasn’t a little bit forgetful at times, he would be the exception for people his age. It’s just terribly disrespectful to his mother and to his father’s memory and legacy. He’s always been such a little tool and I see nothing much has changed in the last 30 years in that respect.

NoLeftTurn on January 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Sorry, but even if he was having symptoms of the disease while in office I think less of the writer who tells us so than the president suffering from the illness. Climb back under the rock, son.

scalleywag on January 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM

“Don’t you think he had dementia?…Don’t you think he’d feel he’s being used by that nasty Palin?”

Oy. I loathe the media. Congrats to Michael Reagan for not taking the bait.

Django on January 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Ron, if you’re going to be like this, at least have the same decency your sister had and change your last name.

How’s Ron Davis strike ya?

There, it separates you from your old man, wins you tons of “respect” (such as it were) with your lib buddies, and disconnects you from the legacy of the great man that YOU. WILL. NEVER. BE.

SuperCool on January 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM

exasDan on January 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Considering I’ve been reading HotAir since it’s inception (avid MM reader in H.S.), I must’ve just forgotten.

blatantblue on January 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM

And yet, if he did have Alzheimer’s then, he did a far better job than any Democrat in full possession of his faculties.

Maybe the other side shouldn’t pursue this argument.

irishspy on January 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Allahpundit was a “kid” in Reagan’s second term?

Who is this child? I can’t stand this anonymous blogging nonsense. This is no better than when the media quotes anonymous sources.

InterestedObserver on January 17, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Michael Reagan is the adopted son that has traded on the Reagan name for years. He is pathetic.

The right is still pissed at Ron Reagan because he didn’t follow in the old man’s footsteps. As far as the Alz claim, we will never know. It’s not like anyone that covered anything up would admit to it. The amount of cover-up during the Reagan years is legion already,

Moesart on January 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Second term. Ap a kid
blatantblue on January 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Kind of makes me feel old.

wi farmgirl on January 17, 2011 at 7:31 PM

So AP is in his mid 30′s huh?
Ah, youth- it’s wasted on the young.

jjshaka on January 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM

TouchingTophet on January 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Addison’s disease can be life threating. Was that public knowledge back then?

wi farmgirl on January 17, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Holy crap!
Have you gotten your driver’s license yet?

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 17, 2011 at 7:57 PM

You know, I don’t think that President Reagan had Alzheimers while serving, and his son is dispicable for making such an accusation……..but if by some chance he did have Alzheimers, he did a much better job than our current leader, BHO.

mobydutch on January 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Only the most vial VILE fools embrace the lie…

right2bright on January 17, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I love other people’s typos.

leftnomore on January 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Second look at Edith Wilson?

Terrie on January 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Technically, he’s not a junior. Ronald Prescott Reagan was called Skip as a child and that’s what I do when I see or hear him — skip it.

Terrie on January 17, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Moesart on January 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Really? What’s wrong with being adopted? There’s something wrong with you. What a horrible thing to say. I guess you’ve never adopted or tried to. Seriously, you are an awful person to say that.

juliesa on January 17, 2011 at 9:45 PM

juliesa on January 17, 2011 at 9:45 PM

M. Reagan=Christian
Moesart=anti-christian bigot.

It ain’t hard to figure out.

Inanemergencydial on January 17, 2011 at 10:08 PM

All left wingers are an embarrassment to humanity.

If they could just hear themselves… but they are so oblivious to how delusional they are. Which I guess is what makes them lefties… out of touch with reality.

In fact, there seems to be a whole cadre of humans who have this share delusion about how the world works… and if we just do communism right… this time, this time, it will be different, really!

petunia on January 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Based on the quote, I blame AP’s dad for AP’s mental condition.

Sultry Beauty on January 18, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Moesart on January 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM

LMFAO! No, Michael was the one Reagan actually SELECTED to be his son. Ron was an unfortunate genetic malady that he couldn’t rectify. Too bad Ron Jr. didn’t have more influence over his dad BEFORE he was born. Ron Jr.’s lucky that his dad was pro-life.

Sultry Beauty on January 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Ron’s accusation is a load of crap. The typical life expectancy for males over 70 from first positive symptoms is about 7 years. Reagan was diagnosed in 1994, over five years after leaving office, and lived ten years beyond that, dying at age 93.

If Reagan began evidencing real symptoms (and if he didn’t, how does Ron draw his conclusions?) by the last day of his Presidency, he still lived more than twice the life expectancy for a man eight years his junior at diagnosis.

It is a pathetic attempt to make money by smearing his father. Guess the whole ballet thing didn’t work out so well.

Adjoran on January 18, 2011 at 3:34 AM

Without Ronald Reagan for a father, Junior would be bussing tables hoping to get a call-up for a third-rate acting job.

itsspideyman on January 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM

LMFAO! No, Michael was the one Reagan actually SELECTED to be his son.

Sultry Beauty on January 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Correct. Maureen Reagan was the child of Jane Wyman and Michael was their adopted son. In the 80′s Michael set power boat speed records and raised $1.5 million for charities like the United States Olympic Team, Cystic Fibrosis and Juvenile Diabetes Foundations and the Statue of Liberty Restoration Fund through his race team. He won the Victor Award for outstanding sports and humanitarian achievement.

No idle son was he.

itsspideyman on January 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Does Li’l Ronnie remember that his Dad defiantly walked out of the summit with Gorbachev in Reykjavik in 1985, negotiated the arms reduction treaty with the USSR in 1986, and made the “Tear Down This Wall” speech in 1987 (against the will of his closest advisors) all during his second term? Does he remember his father’s reaction to the October 1987 stock market crash: “I haven’t gotten a budget I wanted in 7 years–blame the Democrats in Congress for the deficits!”?

Are these the actions of an Alzheimer’s patient with others pulling puppet strings, or those of a clear-thinking strong-willed President leading the country according to his own principles, sometimes against the will of his advisors?

President Reagan might have eclipsed himself somewhat in 1988, in order to campaign for his successor George H.W. Bush, who won on Reagan’s legacy, then squandered the good will of the voters.

Ron Reagan Jr. will never become what his father was, but trying to bring him down is obviously petty jealousy. If he is unable to stand on the shoulders of such a giant, the best he could do for his father is fade into silent oblivion.

Micheal Reagan may never become what his father was (few people can), but at least he has the wisdom to CELEBRATE his father’s greatness, express it to later generations, in the hope that someone from another family will rise to continue President Reagan’s work.

Steve Z on January 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM