NFL warns playoff teams on trash talk

posted at 3:30 pm on January 16, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

I must be pretty old, because I can remember a day when professional athletes let their playing do the talking on the field, when they acted as if they had scored a touchdown before, and when routine tackles didn’t come with choreographed dances. Last night as I watched Green Bay thump the Atlanta Falcons in Georgia, one Falcon managed to sack Aaron Rodgers — and popped up with a routine for which the announcer actually knew the name: “He just put on The Belt!” (I have to confess that it looked to me like something else, and something more vulgar, entirely.) The Falcons were losing by two touchdowns at the time of this dance routine, and went on to get belted by almost four touchdowns, thanks to the Falcons’ complete inability to stop the Packers, who never had to punt the ball in the game.

Trash talking has been an unfortunate part of the NFL, both on the field and especially off, for the last two or three decades. Players use it to spark emotion in their own team, deride their opponents, and most importantly, generate interest in the game. This week, though, the marketing strategy began to run off the rails a bit in New York City and Foxboro as the Jets and Patriots traded ever-more personal insults. Pats receiver Wes Welker made a series of references to a juicy scandal involving the Jets’ head coach Rex Ryan and his wife and some foot-fetish videos on the Internet allegedly made by the couple, which prompted a retort from the Jets’ Bart Scott that Welker’s days in uniform “will be numbered.” The NFL then issued a directive telling everyone left in the playoffs to, well, let their play do the talking from now on:

The NFL has warned players to cut out the trash talk, specifically when it threatens other players.

“Ray Anderson reminded players that comments of a physically threatening nature are always taken into account in evaluating discipline for any illegal physical contact on the field,” league spokesman Greg Aiello said Saturday.

NFL executive vice president of football operations Anderson is the league’s chief disciplinarian. He told teams, including all eight remaining in the playoffs, to basically watch it.

Since October, the NFL has ratcheted up its enforcement of hits to defenseless players with a series of fines and the threat of suspension. No suspensions have been handed out, but the recent rash of trash talk before playoff games prompted Anderson to further emphasize the need to respect the game and opponents.

The league is a little late in insisting on mutual respect from players — about thirty years too late. And let’s not pretend that was some kind of mistake, either. The NFL has been taunted for being the No Fun League, but the organization knows that controversy sparks interest, interest sparks viewers and attendance, and viewers and attendance means more money. Protecting players from dangerous hits is a good move, if sometimes done inconsistently and ham-handedly, but in the case of trash talk, the league helped create the monster it now seeks to rebuke.

It’s a little amusing to see the national “civility” fad move ever so briefly to the NFL, though. It’s not the first occasion I’ve had this week to refer back to Tom Lehrer’s amusing riff on how a civilized football fight song in the Ivy League might sound, but even after more than 60 years, it’s relevant:

What do you think? Is trash talking part of the fun, an unstoppable phenomenon, or should the NFL tighten the reins on it? Take the poll:

Comments

Daveyardbird on January 16, 2011 at 3:34 PM

And this is why I really don’t watch the NFL anymore. It’s becoming too big for it’s self, and is on the verge of jumping the shark.
Too bad…

mmcnamer1 on January 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM

If they don’t stop showing tackling on TV, schizophrenics are going to start tackling members of Congress at public meetings.

pedestrian on January 16, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I thought the Wes Welker stuff was pretty funny.

Besides nothing is funnier than when a team trash talks the week up to a game and then gets destroyed.

gophergirl on January 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Trash talk always has been, and always will be a part of any violent, competitive game. Now the choreographed celebrations after routine plays? Yeah, that’s a bit much. But “cracking down on trash talk” in the NFL? Come on, man.

brak on January 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I don’t recall much of it going on until Cassius Clay made it popular in boxing. Since then, it has metastisized, although I did notice this year that college footballers have toned down the end zone celebrations to a large extent since the refs started enforcing the rule. Don’t see it much in baseball, probably due to survival instincts, IYKWIMAITYD.

a capella on January 16, 2011 at 3:43 PM

In some cases, trash talk is all they’ve got. I mean, if they didn’t embellish the game, they’d be left with quotes like: “I’m going to be coming at Brady all day! And when I get there, I’m going to stop before touching him so I don’t get a roughing penalty and hurt my team.”

In truth though, I don’t think there’s a lot guys on the field who really want to injure somebody. Their union would never tolerate it.

BKeyser on January 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Shouldn’t this same standard apply to the coaches as well? After all, there have been plenty of trash-talking coaches-prime example being Rex Ryan’s Dad.

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Maybe it has something to do with not having children, but this stuff is background noise – it doesn’t add or take away from my enjoyment of the League, just is what it is. Anytime this subject is brought up, I’m immediately taken back to the 80s and Tipper Gore’s war on … music lyrics? Yeah, this is sort of like that.

elcapt on January 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Trash talking has been an unfortunate part of the NFL…

Eh, gotta disagree there Ed. It’s all part of the competition. and gets both players and fans riled/pumped up. Cripes, wear a Mets hat around NYC and see how the Yankee fans treat ya.

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM

While they are at it can they ban the WWE type poses especially when the posing players team is losing./

I love it when a player is losing by some ridiculous score.

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM

The left controls the NFL.

darwin-t on January 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Yes, we need to improve the civil discourse in the NFL. Can’t we all just get along? This fierce rhetoric and right-wing sports talk radio causes bad behavior on the football filed.

PatMac on January 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Words have consequences./

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I stopped watching the NFL when it became the National Felons League. Which was about the same time I stopped watching the Grammy Awards.

keep the change on January 16, 2011 at 3:50 PM

According to this, Putting on the Belt is Aaron Rodgers’ trademark move (although when he does it, it’s not quite so provocative, or evocative, IYKWIM).

Personally, I prefer college ball for this and so many other reasons.

Quisp on January 16, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I thought the Wes Welker stuff was pretty funny.

gophergirl on January 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Someone up here in New England put it best..Wes Welker’s got a lotta SOLE

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Seattle has about 140 total yards.Soon to be known as the B-more of the west.

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I think it was Hollywood Henderson in the mid-70s who said of Terry Bradshaw, “He couldn’t spell cat if you spotted him the C and the A”. Fierce stuff that would draw a huge fine in today’s NFL. Obviously, it seriously affected Bradshaw who went on to win 4 Super Bowls in a Hall of Fame career.

PatMac on January 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Someone up here in New England put it best..Wes Welker’s got a lotta SOLE
Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM

The fact that he did it with such a straight face made it even funnier.

gophergirl on January 16, 2011 at 3:56 PM

PatMac on January 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM

and whatever became of Tommy?

darwin-t on January 16, 2011 at 3:58 PM

This reminds me of that classic Bill Cosby routine where he talks about the time his college football team at Temple University took on Hofstra and the Temple coach goes into a long dissertation in the locker room telling the players about how “You will not touch certain areas of your body while on the football field!”.

Naturally during the game, Cosby gets it in the family jewels and is rolling on the ground holding his head instead.

This is EXACTLY what the NFL is turning itself into, one big comedy routine!

pilamaye on January 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM

It’s all over inflated self esteem.

” I tackled him, man. Did you see that? I tackled that mo fo.

Yes, you did. Nice job, now do it again.

Skandia Recluse on January 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM

PatMac on January 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM
and whatever became of Tommy?

darwin-t on January 16, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Good point – let that be a warning to trash-talkers everywhere.

PatMac on January 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Someone up here in New England put it best..Wes Welker’s got a lotta SOLE

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Welker has a stretcher with his name on it just waitin’…

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I like Welker. I think what he said is humorous but I think staying out of the mud would be better.

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Welker has a stretcher with his name on it just waitin’…

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 4:00

You sound a lot like a TP member./

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Talk trash all you want but stop the celebration and taunting bs.

Vince on January 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM

YO MAMA!

davidk on January 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM

pilamaye on January 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM

And they get fired up in the locker room and head for the field all full of fire and vineger–the the door’s locked.

davidk on January 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM

YO MAMA!

davidk on January 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Yo mama’s so fat, she walked in front of the TV once and I missed the entire first season of LOST.

You sound a lot like a TP member./

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Nah…I’m too mean even for them!

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 4:13 PM

jetboy…. did you see the film on CBS of the PATS center trying to trip jets player?

Just more of the expected from the Pats.

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Can the NFL be more full of themselves? For crying out loud, it’s a stupid GAME! You’d think these guys were splitting the atom or something.

RadClown on January 16, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Shannon Sharpe is still smarting from last night. Bwhaahahaaha what a p*ssy woman beater.

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Where’s Terrell Owens when we need him?

John the Libertarian on January 16, 2011 at 4:22 PM

RadClown on January 16, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I am actually more concerned about the fact that they don’t let them play the game on the field with the ridiculous calls against defensive players just playing hard.

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Just more of the expected from the Pats.

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Of course…yeah, second game of the season. Someone needs to call Belicheat and his cheating cheaters the Whaaaaambulance.

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Translation:

Don’t blame Sarah Palin putting a voodoo curse on your team and causing your team to lose!

technopeasant on January 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM

when routine tackles didn’t come with choreographed dances.

It’s getting old.

And what’s with the skipping off the field after a tackle? These macho guys look like little school girls when they do that.

forest on January 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Speaking of trash talkers…

…for the love of Pete, please get Bill Maher’s ugly mug off of the front page.

I’ve developed a weak stomach all of a sudden.

hillbillyjim on January 16, 2011 at 4:32 PM

hillbillyjim on January 16, 2011 at 4:32 PM

It’s helping me lose the pounds I put on over Christmas. Nancy Pelosi on the front page does the same thing for me.

forest on January 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

There’s always been trash talking….

therightwinger on January 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Trash talking as long as it isn’t racist should be allowed i trash talked alot it help boost my energy up during games.

bessex on January 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Talk trash all you want but stop the celebration and taunting bs.

Vince on January 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Yeah, they look ridiculous when they’re down by a gazillion touchdowns and do a silly dance. All because they sacked a quarterback. And the touchdown dances are dumb too.

conservative pilgrim on January 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM

They benched Welker HAHAHA!!!

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM

As Jerry Glanville once said:

‘NFL’ stands for ‘Not For Long’.

percysunshine on January 16, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Part of the brainwashing for the masses, conditioning them to fear words and accept BS commie rat accusations that the right wing is the dangerous party

Sonosam on January 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Ooooooo….Looks like Belichek is cracking down on the trash talkin’. Welker is being benched at the start of the game? Yeah, okay. Flesh your muscles coach.

btw-Your quarterback needs a haircut and I hope you lose.

/trash talking off. I’m tame compared to you all. :-)

conservative pilgrim on January 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM

s/b Flex. FLEX!

conservative pilgrim on January 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

“Sticks and stones may break my bones,
but names will crush my self esteem and make me unable to function in society…”

Canadian Infidel on January 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

What the crap was that, JETS? Way to take a 40 yrd turnover and turn it into a loss of 8 yrds and a shanked kick. Bunch of one-spacers.

Weight of Glory on January 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

2nd and 18 and the JETS pull a facemask! Dude. They better settle down soon.

Weight of Glory on January 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Bunch of one-spacers.

Weight of Glory on January 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Two spaces is like drinking beer with your pinky finger extended.

pedestrian on January 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Weight of Glory on January 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

heh…

I’ll say this…If my Jets lose this game, I…an adamant life-long “two-spacer”…will no longer use two spaces after each sentence. I will become *gulp* a one-spacer.

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Someone up here in New England put it best..Wes Welker’s got a lotta SOLE

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM

The fact that he did it with such a straight face made it even funnier.

gophergirl on January 16, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Of course I’m sure Jetboy thought Welker was a HEEL for saying what he did.

But Bart Scott went too far in his response.

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM

The chick-i-fication of the NFL continues. *sigh*

SouthernGent on January 16, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Of course I’m sure Jetboy thought Welker was a HEEL for saying what he did.

Even my propensity to pun skipped over him…I thought Welker was a “something”, but it’s a bit further north than a heel…

But Bart Scott went too far in his response.

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Oops…

Del’s second statement about Scott going “too far”…

Man-up, bro.

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Two spaces is like drinking beer with your pinky finger extended.

pedestrian on January 16, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Heh. No doubt.

I will become *gulp* a one-spacer.

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM

You may be safe yet. The JETS have finally settled down and are actually playing the game. Your defense is doing great.

Weight of Glory on January 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Respectfully, Ed, trash talk was in the NFL longer than two or three decades. But for the NFL to try do do something about it would be stupid and yes, will drive even more fans away. It’s already well on its way to becoming the PFL (I’ll let you figure what the “P” is for) but as long as they play well within the boundaries, they should be able to trash talk all they want.

john1schn on January 16, 2011 at 5:47 PM

and whatever became of Tommy?

darwin-t on January 16, 2011 at 3:58 PM

He snorted a barrel full of cocaine and ended up not playing for Dallas after wards.

john1schn on January 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Quisp on January 16, 2011 at 3:50 PM

This is something that professional wrestlers have been doing for decades. Usually when they do it though, it means they are coming after the champion, and will leave the arena “with the belt.”

john1schn on January 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

It turns out that Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker has a good sense of humor. Slyly alluding to Jets coach Rex Ryan’s apparent foot fetish, Welker worked in no fewer than 11 references to feet in his press conference this past Thursday. Each reference is in the cliched terms you might expect from a jock talking about the upcoming game, so the joke, if that is what it was, was pretty well concealed. Patriots Coach Bill Belichick confirmed that Welker was in fact taunting Ryan by benching Welker at the start of the game this afternoon.

I admire someone with a sly sense of humor, especially someone in the NFL. Here’s hoping that Welker gets a chance to put his best foot forward in the playoff game this afternoon, as Welker himself would be the first to say.

Powerline this morning.

Wethal on January 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I really like what Shannon Sharpe is wearing. Plaid shirt, pink sweater, suede sports coat…hot.

SouthernGent on January 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Weight of Glory on January 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Second half just starting…the Jets have a 95% chance of screwing their lead up. My friggin’ stomach is all knotted up.

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

As a Miami fan I rarely see teams or fans trash talk the Dolphins.

They mostly just laugh at them.

I could do without the premature celebrations, but the trash talking has always been a part of the game.

This is football. It is what it is.

Do you really think that the “Fearsome Foursome”, “Purple People Eaters”, or the “Steel Curtain” defenses of the 70′s were inviting their opponents to share tea and crumpets after the game?

Until they stop keeping score and deciding winners and losers then trash talking and heated rivalries will continue to be the norm.

Speaking of rivals. This Dolphin fan is pulling for the Jets to win the Super Bowl.

chief on January 16, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Well, I think they should strike over this issue. Let ‘em know who’s boss!

Fallon on January 16, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I always assumed that they were swapping quiche recipes.

hillbillyjim on January 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I always assumed that they were exchanging quiche recipes.

hillbillyjim on January 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM

But thankfully the NFL protected us from having Rush Limbaugh own a small part of a NFL team!

RJL on January 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Oops — don’t know how that double post happened. Sorry.

Oops — don’t know how that double post happened. Sorry.

Oops — don’t know how that double post happened. Sorry.

///

hillbillyjim on January 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Noted Metrosexual Roger Goodell strikes again. I fully expect the NFL to start allowing lawyers on each sideline to argue calls before his reign is over.

mikefln on January 16, 2011 at 6:55 PM

SouthernGent on January 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Sharpe dresses like a Philadelphia pimp.

Jaibones on January 16, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Sharpe dresses like a Philadelphia pimp.

Jaibones on January 16, 2011 at 6:59 PM

There’s a reason for that…..

john1schn on January 16, 2011 at 7:10 PM

great finish to this one

forest on January 16, 2011 at 7:30 PM

JETS WIN!! Wow! First Manning then Brady. Is Rothlispbooger next?

Weight of Glory on January 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Sheez. Let’s do away with all the rules for football that have been enacted in the last 30 years.

That, or start handing out trophies to every player after each game for “a good effort”. It’ll make sure the millionaire players have good self esteem.

BowHuntingTexas on January 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM

JETS WIN!! Wow! First Manning then Brady. Is Rothlispbooger next?

Weight of Glory on January 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM

They’re dropping like flies!

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Actually Shannon Sharpe’s sportcoat was black velvet, not suede. There aren’t too many guys who can look so damn “sharp”, but Shannon’s one in a million. AND he’s destined to be voted into the Hall of Fame. Not too bad for somebody that used to be known as “the mouth”. Thing is, he actually played up to all the hype. We’ll see you in Canton Shannon!

bannedbyhuffpo on January 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM

ROFL at the Patriots. Kicked almost everyone’s azz all year and then fold in their own stadium after a bye week.

Bishop on January 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM

IMO, the NFL is starting to look just like the NBA, where the players are capable of looking like superman for one or two plays a game, but they suck and miss their assignments for all the other plays.
It’s not too enjoyable watching a bunch of players missing their blocks, missing tackles, dropping passes, running the wrong routes, taking plays off, missed assignments, then all the sudden they make one great play and have to act like an idiot and do some stupid looking dance all the time.
Thank God there are still a few hard working great players that know how to play the game and don’t make asses out of themselves when they make a play. Example: Trent Cole of the Eagles.
But don’t stink the joint up for 9 plays and then jump up and down like King Kong when you finally do your job.

OxyCon on January 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I think this has less (i.e. nothing) to do with the “national civility movement” and more to do with the fact that the NFL knows has heard this song and dance before and knows when verbal battles stoked by the media are about to erupt in R-rated outbursts for which they’ll have to issue fines.

They’re saying “don’t be that guy.” I think that’s perfectly reasonable regardless of your opinion on trash talk.

HitNRun on January 16, 2011 at 9:40 PM

It’s all over inflated self esteem.

” I tackled him, man. Did you see that? I tackled that mo fo.”

Yes, you did. Nice job, now do it again.

Skandia Recluse on January 16, 2011 at 3:59 PM

At the rate these celebrations are evolving I give it 5 years before there are guys dancing because they broke the huddle correctly. The dances are getting out of control. Act like you have done your job before champ. One thing I know we will never see is a contract that starts with the base salary and consists of incentives or reductions for everything else. “You just missed a tackle that led to a 25 yard TD run, that’s $10K less in your paycheck this week.”

cobrakai99 on January 16, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Forget the trash talk, grow a spine, and do something about the friggin’ dances already! This is football not a hopscotch competition!

Dark-Star on January 16, 2011 at 10:26 PM

For grins, and perhaps a giggle:

Does anyone really care what the “unsure, no opinion” category thinks?

Why is this category ever included in any survey? If they are unsure or have no opinion, why are they evan responding and why should I care even a little teeny bit?

I vote this category be eliminated.

marybel on January 16, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I quit watching football in the late 90′s when it became more of a “tv event” than a game. The players of the 60′s & 70′s would play hurt all the time. Now you can’t even touch a quarterback, can’t to this, can’t do that, and you have way too much showboating going on, not to mention I’d like to take a pair of hair clippers to some of these overpaid idiots and cut the crap outside of their helmets. They look like girls with all that stupid hair sticking out.

p51d007 on January 16, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I walked away from all “organized” sports when the “sportsmanship” was taken out. Professional athletes used to behave like grown-ups, and they served as role models. What we have now are children in adult bodies. As I commented to my wife, you now see teams incur more penalties in ONE GAME than they used to incur in the ENTIRE SEASON. My analysis? The character of the players no longer matters. Remember 1992? We were repeatedly hammered with the message, “Character doesn’t matter!”. The result was Bill Clinton, who proved that character DIDN’T matter.

Humility comes before honor.

oldleprechaun on January 17, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Who cares? Who watches?

tarpon on January 17, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I stopped watching pro sports (except fo the Red Sox) years ago. I got tired of the ghetto culture mentality dominating personal behavior, replacing good role models (from any culture.) Choking the coach and getting away with it really should have been on TV – COPS!

Though I might be tempted to watch the really improtant playoff that’s coming: Purple shirted goons against the free- America squad

Don L on January 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Belechick is like the Coach K of the NFL. Just a classless arrogant bastard who never says anything good about the opposing teams that beat them. It’s always about how we didn’t play well, we made too many mistakes etc. Always fun to see the Pats lose because of it.

eyedoc on January 17, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Don L on January 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Purple shirted goons?

I thought the Ravens and Vikes were eliminated.

IlikedAUH2O on January 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM