NFL open thread, Sunday divisional playoffs

posted at 11:55 am on January 16, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated their arch-rivals, the Baltimore Ravens 31-24, in one of the more exciting games in that series.  The two teams combined for 55 points, when they usually have trouble reaching 30.  The Green Bay Packers nearly scored as many points all to themselves in a surprising rout of the #1 NFC seed Atlanta Falcons — making me 2-0 yesterday, and 4-2 so far in the post-season.  Can I keep the magic going today?  We’ll see:

• Seahawks at Bears – It’s tempting to laugh this one off, but Seattle beat the Bears earlier this year in Chicago, 23-20.  At the time, Da Bears had trouble protecting Jay Cutler and the running game was struggling.  Chicago has fixed both problems in the second half of the season, which will make it difficult for the Seahawks, even playing their best football of the season the last couple of weeks.  Bears over Seahawks, 27-17.
  • Jets at Patriots – Well, we can be fairly sure that the Jets will play better than their previous visit to Foxboro, when they got thumped 45-3.  But will it be that much better?  The Jets surprised the Colts on the road last week, but Rex Ryan has to hope that the bye week makes New England as sluggish as the Falcons were last night.  If Tom Brady and the Patriots pick up where they left off in the regular season in this game, they will be unbeatable.  Pats over Jets, 31-21.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We’re just about ready for perhaps the most hisotric NFL game in history!!

J! E! T! S!

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I don’t really care who wins the Jets/Pats game, but I’ve decided to root for the Jets to win, since it means so much to JetBoy.

AZCoyote on January 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I cant believe I am agreeing with JetBoy…

Go Jets!

Keep in mind, this is only because they are playing the Pats(may they go the the Chinese Hell of the wimpy quarterback – the Hell of the Tom Brady Rule).

And Id love to see the Seahawks beat the Bears for two reasons. First, I would make heads explode and second any chance to embarrase Jay Cutler, former Bronco (who my hate of is only surpassed by the Raider Hate) is a good thing.

Wolftech on January 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM

gad dam team is pissing me off right now

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM

LOL, I’ll have a response to your Mass Inanity after the game.

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM

First of all, you can grab a jersey as long as it’s not outside the shoulder pads; O-lineman make a living doing that and so do cornerbacks. Second of all, that call is not called all the time. What is normally called on returns is a block in the back.

BKeyser on January 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM

You’re wrong. The rule for use of hands inside the shoulder pads only applies to pass blocking, and regardless hanging onto a player by the jersey is not allowed, unless that player is the ball carrier. The rules are explicit on this:

Note: Pass blocking: Hand(s) thrust forward that slip outside the body of the defender will be legal if blocker immediately worked to bring them back inside. Hand(s) or arm(s) that encircle a defender—i.e., hook an opponent—are to be considered illegal and officials are to call a foul for holding.

Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops.

A defensive player may not tackle or hold an opponent other than a runner.

You cannot use your hands to hang onto an opponent who is not the ball carrier-period.

Learn the rules. The ref made the right call.

Dreadnought on January 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM

SWEET! KEEP IT UP JETS!

John the Libertarian on January 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Someone go over to Jetboy’s place and scrape him off the ceiling.

Go Jets!

hillbillyjim on January 16, 2011 at 5:58 PM

JetBoy, are you loving this or what???

conservnut on January 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

w00t!!!!!!

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

JetBoy, are you loving this or what???

conservnut on January 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

My dog is under the bed shaking, and my cat (the brave one) even left me…lol I must be screaming a lot or something!

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM

w00t!!!!!!

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Da Bears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knucklehead on January 16, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Here you go

Da Bears

conservnut on January 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Pats will win.
Seahawks will win.

John the Libertarian on January 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM

You’re really on your game today, John.

Jaibones on January 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM

You’re really on your game today, John.

Jaibones on January 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I predicted the Oregon Ducks would beat Auburn, too.

John the Libertarian on January 16, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Didn’t Rush pick Seattle?

Knucklehead on January 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM

And closing their doors today:

John’s Odds Makers

CWforFreedom on January 16, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Congrats Jets.

El_Terrible on January 16, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Well, here we go- Steelers and Jets. Should be a great game.

Scott P on January 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Crankin’ it up!…

FU, Belicheat and your sad arse team!

WOOT!!!!!!!

We’re comin’ for you next, Pittsburgh!

WOOOOOOOT!!!

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Wow. Obamacare, DADT repeal, 2 feet of snow on the ground already, and the Pats lose. This really has been a crappy winter.

Hats off to the Jets. They backed up their big mouths today (though a fat, toe-licking clock is right twice a day). Thoroughy outplayed our guys today…no flukes about it. Well done, boys.

Let’s go Red Sox

Huckabye-Romney on January 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

We’re comin’ for you next, Pittsburgh!

WOOOOOOOT!!!

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

This is gonna be interesting. If the Jets are able to beat Indy, NE and Pittsburgh, that would be pretty impressive.

forest on January 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I wasn’t attempting to quote the rulebook, I was illustrating the practical application of the game. You can deny that if you want, but up to 16 games each week are played that way.

Ultimately though you’re defending one play and never addressed either the photo I linked, nor the dirty play of the Steelers. I’ll assume you concede those points.

Good luck against the Jets.

BKeyser on January 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Jets FTW!

Levinite on January 16, 2011 at 7:46 PM

What a game! Congrats JetBoy and Jets’s fans.

Enjoy your last playoff victory for the year. We’re ready for you in Pittsburgh!!! :-)

conservative pilgrim on January 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Way to go Jets! I love to see the wimpy quarterback get beat!

Wolftech on January 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM

TEXAS LOVES NY!

(yes that was a shout-out)

Limerick on January 16, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Congrats Jets from this Colts fan. No hard feelings as anyone who knocks Brady out of the playoffs is aces in my book.

tommyboy on January 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Ain’t nothing like sending mama’s boy home sniffling.

Limerick on January 16, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Congrats Jetboy and Jet fans. Texas thanks you for beating the Pats.

conservnut on January 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Mark this down as another year the Patriots WON THE SUPERBOWL!

Limerick on January 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

See you at the Super Bowl, my friend. This year is the 25th anniversary of the Super Bowl Shuffle and I have a good feeling for Da Bears this year.

Knucklehead on January 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM

WTF? Way to protect Brady.
Damn.

Shyte. :P

RedNewEnglander on January 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Knucklehead on January 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Even the Jets wouldn’t make a teh ghey vid like that lol

We gotta go easy tho, one more game to go for us both. Green Bay is going to be real tough. As will the Steelers with what, 7 Superbowls under their belts?

But after tonights Jets win, somewhere there’s a buried game ball from a certain Monday Night game this season that can finally rest in peace.

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Even the Jets wouldn’t make a teh ghey vid like that lol
JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I still have that song on vinyl. I bet it’s worth a fortune now, eat your heart out. LOL And you have no idea how wild Chicago was that year. Good times.

Do you know what time the games are next week? I’ll be sailing through the Panama Canal (you know thing that Jimmy Carter gave away)next weekend and want to reserve a bar stool in the sports lounge.

Knucklehead on January 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Congrats on a big victory..:)

Dire Straits on January 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Knucklehead on January 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Congrats to Da Bears on a big victory..:)

Dire Straits on January 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Woooowww…. Ok, Rex Ryan, I believe you.

itsspideyman on January 16, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Thanks for the congrats’ guys and gals…feels good!

I’ll say it again… “In Rex We Trust“!

Knucklehead on January 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM

A long way from home you’ll be! Yeah, Bears/Pack at 3pm (Eastern, of course) and Jets crush Pittsburgh at 6:30.

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Good for you, JetBoy — perhaps my beloved Packers will see your guys for an all-green Super Bowl.

Mr. D on January 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Sorry to be late to the party, I had a minor household plumbing emergency here (flooded the kitchen floor with the dishwasher) which caused me to miss the middle part of the game (2nd and 3rd quarters). Luckily I was on record, so will check to see what I miss later.

Kudos to the Jets (and JetBoy) for a brilliant game. From what I saw they did what they had to do. Great Defense and Great Coaching!

Brady looked sub-par. Don’t know what was wrong with him today, but he did throw a pick for the first time in a long while. He was definitely off.

Now I can sit back and relax while JetBoy and CW exchange insults until next weekend. And a week from tonight, I will welcome one of them into this year’s Playoff Game Loser Sob Society! I’ll buy the Virtual Beer (Or Hemlock. Your choice)

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM

BTW CW I will respond to your cheating stuff as soon as I hear back from my friend at the Boston paper that broke the story. He has some additional info for me (nothing new, of course, just statistical stuff).

Keep checking back on this thread.

Del Dolemonte on January 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM

JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Thanks. I have no idea what time zone I’ll be in, but that’s a big help.

Knucklehead on January 16, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Congrats to the Jets. Who knows, they may be establishing a real foot hold in the AFC. I doubt, however, they’ll trip up the Steelers next week.

Awaits, alas, the bitter taste of da feet. ✪

TXUS on January 16, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I am now a happy person and a Jets fan. Ok1 Maybe not a Jet’s fan but I am very happy those nasty Patriots lost.

Vince on January 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM

The Jets were amazing. I didn’t think they had a chance.

Jaibones on January 17, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Bears – Packers has been a long time coming.

Jaibones on January 17, 2011 at 6:41 AM

We’re just about ready for perhaps the most hisotric NFL game in history!!
J! E! T! S!
JetBoy on January 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM

18-1 comes to mind

Sonosam on January 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Pats fan who will be cheering for Steelers; will admit though I guess it’s been awhile since Jets won it all:

Beatles were possibly considering breaking up.

Groovy.

raccoonradio on January 17, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Hey CW, I am still waiting for my newspaper friend in Boston to get back to me. He’s so bummed out by the Pats losing that he hasn’t been answering his phone, much less e-mails. So until I hear back let me address one of your other complaints, namely the Jimmy Johnson interview I cite.

All I did was post the interview, in other words, I shared what someone else said. But by doing so that does not mean I condone what he says everyone was doing. You assumed that. Naughty-Naughty.

Had this interview been done with a now-discredited hack, like the ex-Patriots employee, or done with a now-discredited former head coach like Josh McDaniels, it would be easy to dismiss it. But this dude won An NCAA Championship before winning back to back Super Bowls.

And he says the Patriots do it, and the Steelers, and the Jets, and the Saints, and the Brownies, and everyone.

Accept it.