Charity director restored to position

posted at 10:20 am on January 16, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Over the last few days, I’ve had the pleasure of corresponding with Glen Busch, the man whose Facebook comments resulted in his termination from Coats for Kids in Chicago.  The national organization eliminated Busch from his volunteer director position after more than five years after Busch posted comments on Facebook expressing his unhappiness with the politicization of the shootings in Tucson.

Fortunately, I have great news to report.  Late Friday night, the national director of Coats for Kids offered Glen his position back, apologizing for letting him go.  Glen, who had earlier written to thank me for the earlier post, informed me last night of his reinstatement:

Thank you for your offer to revisit this issue.  Thanks in large part to the response from the public to CFK, I was offered my position back late last night.  I have accepted Paul’s apology and hold absolutely no ill will towards any involved as I resume my work with the charity.

Below is a letter I have written, and will post on my FB page when I get out of work tomorrow morning (no FB at work). I thank you for your support of my right to free speech without even knowing who I am.

I was happy to do it.  Here is Glen’s letter:

To whom it may concern, January 15, 2011

The issue between myself and the Coats For Kids Foundation has been resolved. I have been offered back my position as the director of the Chicago office. I have accepted this offer and I am very happy to do so. This has been a very difficult time for all of us and I am thankful it can now be put to rest.

I further ask that everyone who reads this can accept that people sometimes make mistakes and what is truly important is how we respond to them. I am very satisfied with how the response from the foundation has been and I hold no ill will towards anyone involved. This issue will help us grow, learn, and become better people for having walked through it. I personally ask that those who have hesitated in supporting this cause over this last week join us as we rebuild the good will and reputation of this great cause as we move forward on behalf of others.

CFK is a 100% volunteer organization and over 95% of all donations received go directly to the purchase, transportation and distribution of brand new winter coats to children all across the United States. To date WE have distributed over 38,000 coats to those in the most need among us. We look forward to continuing this effort until every child is warm.

Warmest regards,

Glen Busch, Director

Coats For Kids-Chicago

Let me reiterate Glen’s point.  Paul Darby made a mistake in terminating Glen, a mistake that Darby has rectified by restoring Glen to the position where he can help poor kids in Chicago to keep warm in the wintertime.  We all make mistakes; what matters is what we do to correct them.  Darby and CfK have done their part, and now hopefully we can do ours.  Help Glen in his efforts to help the children of Chicago and show what support you can at the website for CfK Chicago.

Note: The website may be down today, but will be back up tomorrow at latest, I believe.  Also, the NFL post will come up at noon today.

Comments

That’s great. People make mistakes, but it’s nice to see that some people still have a moral compass and make amends when needed.

AnninCA on January 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM

That is true forgiveness – and a truly selfless person.

Red Cloud on January 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Glen Busch seems like a class act. God bless him.

We all make mistakes; what matters is what we do to correct them.

Noted.

pugwriter on January 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Excellent! Witness the power of “The Dark Side”. It must have been all that right-wing hate that got Glen his job back.

Or his boss just realized that he over-reacted.

Mord on January 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM

It is nice for a change to read where someone admits they made a mistake and then corrects the mistake and sets things right.

Wish we saw examples like this more often.

pilamaye on January 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Just put my money where my mind is and donated ten bucks. I usually donate closer to home but I think it doesn’t hurt to demonstrate that there are benefits to putting the charity first.

Immolate on January 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Wow… a mistake is made, people react, the mistake is corrected, and people move on to try to do good for others in need.

What a concept.

Well done, HotAir, for letting us know how to help. One of the few times I actually felt as though a letter/e-mail did some good.

princetrumpet on January 16, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Also, the NFL post will come up at noon today.

Ed is going to be insufferable today. ;>

mikefln on January 16, 2011 at 10:39 AM

But, but…

Where’s the right-wing, Tea Party hysterical crazed looney reaction? The vitriol, the racism, the inflamed rhetoric, the spitting?

I was told there would be spitting!

No effigy bonfire either, huh?

Well, this is a dull place, I must say…

heldmyw on January 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Meanwhile, Gerald Walpin remains canned.

This is good news though and shows the disinfecting power of sunshine.

GnuBreed on January 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM

And as usual, sunlight remains one of the best disinfectants.

oldleprechaun on January 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Wonderful news, and as it should be.

The best to both men, and the charity.

Ed? Could you post a reminder tomorrow, maybe? I get busy, and often forget things. A symptom of getting old I think. LOL

capejasmine on January 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Sorry but I don’t get it.

One of the cheapest things to buy on ebay is a kid’s winter coat. They are also hard to sell. I wonder if these programs have anything to do with supply. Then you have responsible parents selling them for extra crackmoney.

However, several programs were giving them away over the years so it must have some value.

IlikedAUH2O on January 16, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Sorry, but I can’t seem to find a public apology from the Board of Directors.
Glen seems to be the one who is announcing this, and it would seem that the BOD would be the ones in public taking the heat.
Maybe I just missed the press release…

right2bright on January 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM

A good resolution. Best to all.

Mason on January 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I volunteer for a church sponsored thrift store in a rural area. We resell for way less than what any major thrift stores sell for. All of our items are donated and we can barely keep up with getting things unpacked and on the shelves. We are a non profit and donate everything back to the community. The coats for kids we sell cost .50 to 2.00 depending on condition. The parents are glad to get the coats and donate back to the store after using them. They also keep their dignity, by not having to accept charity and being able to provide for their children themselves. I’m sure Coats For Kids does a wonderful service helping the children. Sometimes these programs miss the whole point.

Kissmygrits on January 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Why dis a charity? They do what they do and help people in need, that’s good enough for me. Beats having Big Daddy Federal calling the shots and ordering all of us to be charitable.

Bishop on January 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Classy guy.

miConsevative on January 16, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Wow, I wasn’t expecting an outcome like this. Great news! I will certainly visit the link and let my wallet do the thanking on Glen’s behalf.

TampaBayBull on January 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM

How many other conservatives have suffered the same fate but not had the publicity that led to their jobs being restored? I’m glad for Mr. Busch, he deserved his job back but let’s not forget the breadth of liberal belief that takes conservatism as a dangerously perverted mental illness.

jnelchef on January 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM

jnelchef on January 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Exactly, it is because conservatives took a stand, that Mr. Busch, a class act indeed, was able to withstand the hate and vitriol aimed at conservatives by liberals.

right2bright on January 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Paul Darby made a mistake in terminating Glen, a mistake that Darby has rectified by restoring Glen to the position where he can help poor kids in Chicago to keep warm in the wintertime. We all make mistakes; what matters is what we do to correct them.

forgiveness. ++

ted c on January 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Rectified by returning him to his job and by a personal apology.

That is the way it should be. A mistake of this type requires an apology. Graciously accepted by Mr. Busch who clearly puts the welfare of those he is trying to help above his personal feelings. Well done.

novaculus on January 16, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Yes, all well and good. But why do the Darby’s of the world go over the edge in the first place without taking a few breaths before acting. Maybe he’s rectified the situation, but there’s no erasing the knee jerk reaction in my opinion.

jeanie on January 16, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Interesting. I wonder if Darby has released the attorney who assisted him with the first decision?

I mean, Darby didn’t just jump the gun on an emotional knee jerk reaction. He involved an attorney in the decision so there was some real thought put into it and the attorney obviously supported the decision.

ButterflyDragon on January 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Sorry but I don’t get it.

IlikedAUH2O on January 16, 2011 at 11:13 AM

You don’t even have to go on ebay. You can buy a kid’s coat for $20-30 at Walmart. Or go to the Goodwill store and it’s $5.

I’m with you, I don’t see the need for this charity’s existence.

angryed on January 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Did not know he had hired a lawyer but it doesn’t change anything. All it proves is that there was forethought in his actions and even with that, he still behaved questionably. In the end, I’d be surprised if his attorney didn’t ultimately tell him that HE(Darby)might end up being the guilty party in all of this.

jeanie on January 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Or his boss just realized that he over-reacted.

Mord on January 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I wouldnt say over reacted I would say he should never have reacted at all. Glen is a private citizen who expressed an opinion that 80% of us share. He had a right to express that opinion on his personal FB outside of his work duties. This little firing was more dangerous than most because had it stood it would have meant that people like me who are conservative in an overwhelmingly liberal encvironment can be fired for participating in blogs like Hot Air and Conservatives4Palin. I guarantee you that 80% of my management is Democrat and very politically active.

CCRWM on January 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM

bottom line: This poor volunteer was fired for his politcal views. One can excuse, explain and apologize all they want–that’s what happened and their’s no excuse or apology or re-instatement that will cchange that basic truth.

jeanie on January 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM

But, but…

I was told there would be spitting!

No effigy bonfire either, huh?

Well, this is a dull place, I must say…

heldmyw on January 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM

The Hatefiiled Left is probably , in the privacy of their homes, probabaly kicking themselves and regretting the Blodd Libel campaign against Sarah Palin and us TEA Partiers. What a phenomenal backfire. I always pray that God will make the attacks of Palin’s enemies backfire on her enemies tenfold and in this case God has really responded to that prayer of mine and many others. The Hatefilled Left came out from behind it cover and for the first time let us all see their the ones taking sniper shots at all of us conservatives. We saw them firing in their full glory. They can’t deny who and what they are now..our enemies. The American people saw their hate and dishonesty out in full display this last week and it has tuned Americans off. Sarah Plain as much as the MSM tries to convince us was not hurt by her response to the blood liberl. I bet they don’t recover.

CCRWM on January 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM

The Hatefiiled Left is probably , in the privacy of their homes, probabaly kicking themselves and regretting the Blood Libel campaign against Sarah Palin and us TEA Partiers. What a phenomenal backfire. I always pray that God will make the attacks of Palin’s enemies backfire on her enemies tenfold and in this case God has really responded to that prayer of mine and many others. The Hatefilled Left came out from behind it cover and for the first time let us all see They’re the ones taking sniper shots at all of us conservatives. We saw them firing in their full glory. They can’t deny who and what they are now..our enemies. The American people saw their hate and dishonesty out in full display this last week and it has tuned Americans off. Sarah Palin ,as much as the MSM tries to convince us, was not hurt by her response to the blood libel. I bet they don’t recover.

CCRWM on January 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM

CCRWM on January 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I’ll freely admit that Mr. Busch is a better man than I am. In his place, I would have told Paul Darby to ESAD.

Gator Country on January 16, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Good.

davidk on January 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I suspect the boss figgured out firing a leader could clobber donations. I would stop giving coats to a charity that was using kids as a shield for politically correctness endeavers.

seven on January 16, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Class.

ReformedAndDangerous on January 16, 2011 at 7:26 PM

I know I’m not being charitable for this, but I can’t give someone more than half credit for doing the wrong thing in the shadows and then the right thing once the light is on them.

I have trust issues, I guess.

Merovign on January 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM

If I may remind those of you who wrote the letters to the director chastising him for his initial decision, fairness dictates that you write another letter advising the director that his change of heart and corrective actions have been noted and that you will now retract your negative comments as well and thank him for “seeing the light”.

Big John on January 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM

How embarrassing for this to have happened at all to such a nice person.

hawkdriver on January 17, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Gator Country on January 16, 2011 at 3:43 PM: I would have told Paul Darby to ESAD.

I agree Gator, but in these times with good jobs hard to come by, you often have to just bite the bullet and keep your job for your families sake.

woodNfish on January 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM