NFL open thread, Saturday divsional playoffs

posted at 9:19 am on January 15, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Thankfully, after going 0-2 on my Saturday picks last week, my Sunday picks brought me back to 2-2.  Today’s games involve my favorite teams still left alive in postseason, so I’ll be picking more from the heart today:

• Ravens at Steelers – I’ll have to miss this game today because of my granddaughter’s birthday party (she’s 2 now), and that may be for the best — because these Ravens-Steelers games are hard on the blood pressure.  The teams split the series this year, including a come-from-behind victory by Pittsburgh in Baltimore that proved the difference for the division title.  The Steelers have had a week to heal up, while Baltimore has a short week and has to play on the road.  Otherwise these two teams are so evenly matched that a pick would be almost impossible, and it’s very likely that the game will come down to the last drive — or maybe the last turnover.  Steelers edge Ravens, 17-14.
  • Packers at Falcons – The Packers are not a good road team, but they beat the Eagles and Michael Vick in Philadelphia, and showcased something they didn’t have when they played the Falcons last: a running game.  James Starks has come out of nowhere to become a big threat for the Green Bay offense.  The Falcons have only lost one game at home all year, a 17-14 stunner to New Orleans two weeks ago.  Green Bay just barely lost 20-17 the last time the two teams played, and while it’s tough to pick against Atlanta at home, I think Green Bay surprises them and wins 24-17.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ravens by a FG

ted c on January 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM

After my pathetic performance from last week (1-3,) I’ll keep my predictions to myself.

Hoping for good football and pretty confident these teams will deliver. Hoping the NFL will survive the players union and their request to have Congress seize control over the NFL as they have done with so many other private sector businesses.

Keemo on January 15, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Well, I’m 2-2 also. Win or lose, I’ll always pick the Steelers!

I think GB pulls the upset today. They’re playing really well and are very confident. Hopefully these games will be better than last Saturday’s games.

conservative pilgrim on January 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Go Steelers!!!

Ben is 8-2 lifetime against the Ravens while Flacco is 0-5.

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM

0-5 the Steelers obviously.

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Everybody keeps saying GB will win; I’m gonna say Atlanta wins.
I think they’re too good.

And Da Bears better win on Sunday.

B Man on January 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Everybody keeps saying GB will win; I’m gonna say Atlanta wins.
I think they’re too good.

And Da Bears better win on Sunday.

B Man on January 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I have not seen the stats but per one of the sports radio shows Ryan is better in big games than Rodgers.

If the Bears lose I will hate them more than I do now. :)

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM

You can’t hate Da Bears….they’re..Da Bears : )

That’s a outrage. lol

B Man on January 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM

If ever there was momentum, the Ravens have it and they’re brimming with confidence. It feels around here a lot like it did a decade ago; maybe this is the year we beat the Steelers in the playoffs. The talk from the Steelers locker room this week showed a surprising amount of respect in lieu of the usual trash talk. Maybe they’ve seen the film.

It could be wishful thinking, but this one feels like a relative blowout- Ravens 27 Steelers 10.

Not sure Matty Ice has the playoff stones yet; we’ll see. Have to agree with Ed and take Green Bay. Feels like a Ravens-Packers day in Dallas in a few weeks to me.

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Everybody keeps saying GB will win; I’m gonna say Atlanta wins.

I think they’re too good.

Yeah, I’m taking GB to win this one, but it should be close. I’ll say 17-14. Defensive is key.

JetBoy on January 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM

ATL and PIT today … tomorrow’s when the real fun starts.

elcapt on January 15, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Packers 31 – dirty birds 14

Stillers beat Ravens, Pats beat Jets.
Nothing would be funnier than seeing Cutler toss 3 picks for Mrs Thurston Howell III’s team – but I think Seattle loses.
That sets up a proper beat down from the Pack next week at the spaceship-in-the-park aka Soldier Field.

Oh and B Man – The bears still suck!

HammerNH on January 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Stillers beat Ravens, Pats beat Jets.

HammerNH on January 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Not this time. Gang Green will pull out an 11th hour win in the last few seconds again. I want to taste the sweet, sweet tears of every Cheatriot fan. And watch as Ryan gives Belicheat a post game noogie!

JetBoy on January 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM

So did Webb and the Vikes.

Who?

Exactly.

Atl v NE.

It’s coming.

artist on January 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I pray that all the players and fans stay safe.

Go Steelers!

Zorro on January 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Well, whichever teams DO lose, I’m sure it’ll be because of Sarah Palins hateful, divisive rhetoric…

*ducks*

We could do this the Rush Limbaugh way:

The environmental wacko pick would of course be the Falcons over the Packers and the Ravens over the Steelers. Falcons and Ravens being, of course, part of our Earth Mother.

Or we could go the libtard way:

Of course the Packers and Steelers would win. Why? Since both groups are run and organized by unions, well, is there any other reason for a libtard? If anything, the Packers get extra support and the backing not only of the union types, but Packers of various, shall we say…persuasions?

*ducks again*

Note: If my heated rhetoric in jest against our Earth Mother, libtards and, um, Packers has enflamed your passions and you feel encited towards violence…LIGHTEN THE EFF UP! IT’S ONLY FOOTBALL!

catmman on January 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM

GO STILLERS!!!!! Hopefully they’ll be ahead enough that we won’t have to see the new playoff rules in effect.

Scott P on January 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM

IT’S ONLY FOOTBALL!

catmman on January 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Commie!

JetBoy on January 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Steelers vs. Ravens

Both teams are looking good. Ravens looked mostly dominate over the Chiefs last week, (but the Chiefs definitely played in a weak division this year and looked terrible at times). If the Steelers OL protects Ben, the Ravens backfield will be busy. The season split between these two teams was a three point difference in each game, leaving this football fan thinking who ever scores last to take the lead, better not leave much time on the clock. Because the score should be close, the team that makes that “little mistake” down the stretch will loom large. Hope the zebra’s do their best to stay invisible and there’s no controversy. Of the four games this weekend, this one’s really a toss-up. If “the one-man wrecking crew” Troy Polamalu’s still on the field in the 4th qtr., I’m gonna give the edge to the Steelers, but only by + 3.

Packers at Falcons

The Falcons only blowout loss all season was at Philly way back in mid-October (31-17). After that loss, they ripped off eight straight wins while coasting to their division championship before losing at home to defending Superbowl Champs, NO by 3-points (in a meaningless game), finishing the season with only 3 losses. The Packer’s season has been a bit more rocky losing two straight overtime games early and only playing .500 down the stretch, although they’ve “made a statement” in the last two games, (defeating the Giants and Chicago), that they belong here. Aaron Rogers has had an all-pro season with both his legs and his arm. Matt Ryan has also had an all-pro year with over 3700 yds. and 28 TD’s. If the Falcons aren’t rusty from their two-week layoff, I’d give them the edge here. The injury report for these two teams leaves the Packers looking a little more “banged up” than the Falcons, but this game might be close at the end too. I’ll take the Falcons + 6.

Rovin on January 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM

If the Bears lose I will hate them more than I do now. :)

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Ryan is 22-2 in the Georgia Dome. But his most recent loss there was to my Saints just a few weeks ago. I am going with Green Bay, even though I like Ryan because he went to Boston College.

Ravens-Steelers? Too close to call.

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Steelers 52 – Other team 3

The other games are mere distractions, but if I had to pick I would choose Atlanta. Green Bay needs to be kicked back to the cesspool from whence they came.

Bishop on January 15, 2011 at 10:20 AM

LIGHTEN THE EFF UP! IT’S ONLY FOOTBALL!
catmman on January 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM

You’re lucky I’m not Dictator in Chief or you would be hanging by your ankles in a dungeon, having Vogon poetry read to you by a naked tag-team of Joy Behar and Lawrence O’Donnell.

Bishop on January 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!11eleventy!!!!

ladyingray on January 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Huh…that is classic Steeler reaction. Rarely do you hear trash talk from the mean of Steel. Again Flacco 0-5 Vs. Ben R. while Ben R. is 8-2 V. the Ratbirds. The Steelers are 20-12 lifetime against Baltimore.

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Happy Birthday to your granddaughter, Mr. Morrissey.

Cindy Munford on January 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Happy Birthday to your granddaughter, Mr. Morrissey.

Cindy Munford on January 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Ditto! Nice to see Ed’s got his priorities straight!

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Bishop on January 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM

And throw in a nekkid Danny DeVito too.

JetBoy on January 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Go Pack. A Packers/Bears NFC Championship game would be epic.

Mr. D on January 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM

What exactly was the “trash talk” this week from the Steelers? I was too busy listening to the trash talk from Rex Ryan.

I will admit, I did hear some trash talk from one of the Ravens, but it was so out-to-lunch I just threw it in the Trash Can:

Steve Phillips: From your perspective, how do you compare Roethlisberger to some of the other QBs in the NFL?”

Suggs: “Well, if you ask me he’s definitely up there with them. Because he has the hardware to prove it and that’s all that matters in this league, is Super Bowls. And he’s won two of them. If I’m correct Manning’s only won one, both Mannings that is, and Philip Rivers doesn’t have any, and Tom Brady has three, I think, a questionable three. This guy won the Super Bowl, I believe, in his second year in the league and I’m not sure if that’s ever been done before. If it has, it’s been very rare.”

Phillips: “Now, what do you mean ‘a questionable three’ for Tom Brady? What do you mean by that?”

Suggs: “Oh, you know, you’ve got the tuck rule incident and then you’ve got the videotaping of the other team’s practices. It’s just like, OK, what’s going on here? You know? But, hey, it is what it is. They won the games no matter how you did it. But, um, it’s whatever.”

LOL, too funny. Suggs should resign from the NFL in protest.

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Ravens over Steelers, 20-16

Falcons over Packers, 31-23

Happy birthday to your granddaughter too!

Daemonocracy on January 15, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Terrell Suggs must have missed the sports history classes when evaluating the best QB’s of all time. Joe Montana still rates as the best all time among most sports writers.

Rovin on January 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Nope, Flacco has won two games against the Steelers. Those two games have been without Rapistberger at QB though. No need to lie like that.

justinx0r on January 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

What I said was that there hasn’t been any trash talk from the Steelers this week, at least I haven’t heard any. This is unusual given the dislike the two teams have for each other, that they’re division rivals and play highly contested games twice a year, and well, Hines Ward.

And it’s funny how everyone talks about the game the Steelers won in Baltimore on a strip sack by Troy. Great play on a missed protection. But when Flacco led the Ravens down the field for the winning touchdown in Pittsburgh, was it because Big Ben wasn’t playing linebacker, or did Flacco and the Ravens do that on the vaunted Steeler defense? In Pittsburgh. Where the Steelers were 5-3 this year.

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Bishop on January 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Do your worst.

But if you being out the Leroy Neiman paintings…we’re gonna fight!

catmman on January 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Fully one half of the teams playing this weekend will lose.

Dasher on January 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Fully one half of the teams playing this weekend will lose.

Dasher

Profound…heh

GO PACK!!

lyfsatrip on January 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM

An 11th hour win in the last few seconds?

Yeah, ok, cliche much?

And I want to see Brady point at the Jets’ sideline with one particular finger ten times. Tomorrow, one of us gets our wish.

JETS = Jerks Entreated To Shut-up

EA_MAN on January 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Nope, Flacco has won two games against the Steelers.

justinx0r on January 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Learn to read idiot. 0-5 Vs. Ben. I notice that the haters tend to be idiots.

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Keep telling yourself that. 0-5 .

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Actually trash talk from the Steelers is unusual. When you know the game come talk .

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Yeh I know in tight games against the Ravens the Steelers are much more likely to score more points with
Batch. / You do know it is a team game?

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Nope, Flacco has won two games against the Steelers.

justinx0r on January 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Learn to read idiot. 0-5 Vs. Ben. I notice that the haters tend to be idiots.

LOL, how come you cut out the next sentence from his 11:12 AM post, which added:

Learn to read idiot?

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Yep Flacco life time 6 Tds and 7 Ints. Hmmmmm He is 2-0 against Steeler back up QBs….Congrats.

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Del You are right that I screwed up but idiot made his statement based on my Vs Ben comment right?

BTW when I see idiots use the word rape or rapistburger in regards to Ben I quit reading. The fact that the idiot and you tolerate and push that term is just disgusting and not very original.

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Rooting for the Pack, because if the Hawks can pull another upset this week, that would put the championship game at Qwest Field. Don’t have a dog in the hunt, but would love to watch all the pundits’ head explode over a losing team hosting the title game.

As for the AFC, who wouldn’t want to see the championship game between the team led by the rapist and the team coached by the pervert?

justkevin on January 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

If the Squealers plan on using their Baby Huey sand-lot game plan they’ll lose to da Crows. (BIG IF) It definitely won’t work with a machine like the Patriots.

Go Steelers!

(cut & paste) Happy birthday to your granddaughter too!

nimrod on January 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Del–

No need to lie like that.

justinx0r on January 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

So did I lie? Funny idiot you did not point that out to Justin.

The 750000 dollar fine, the lost first round draft pick, and the (*) that everyone but you and other lost Pats fans don’t see sure still stings eh?

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM

justkevin on January 15, 2011 at 12:39 P

wow -original.

Another jerk who has no problem calling someone a rapist . You are disgusting. I wonder when the left does that kind of thing to someone on the right if you protest.

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:44 PM

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I never said I tolerated that term used against Ben, you assumed it. I don’t even know the details about why he was called that to begin with, other that apparently he has been accused of rape 3 different times. All 3 times the charges were mysteriously dropped by the authorities.

I don’t see you get upset when people regularly call Tom Brady a “cheater”. That’s just as offensive.

PS, you also said

I notice that the haters tend to be idiots.

So are fans like yourself and JetBoy who hate the New England Patriots “idiots” as well? Or is it only those who hate the Steelers who are “idiots”?

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Boston Globe, May 14, 2008

Former Patriots employee Matt Walsh met with National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell for more than three hours at league headquarters, and Goodell said afterward that no new corroborated information was revealed about the team’s videotaping procedures. In addition, Goodell found no evidence that the St. Louis Rams’ walkthrough practice before Super Bowl XXXVI was filmed by the Patriots, as the Boston Herald reported Feb. 2, citing an anonymous source.

From the same Globe article (I am excerpting to leave out stuff already posted earlier)

In New York, where Walsh and Goodell met at 7:30 a.m. and league officials later publicly showed footage from Walsh’s tapes, Goodell said a key purpose in speaking with Walsh was to learn more about the alleged filming of the Rams’ walkthrough.

“We were able to verify that there was no Rams walkthrough tape,” Goodell said. “No one asked him to tape the walkthrough. He’s not aware of anybody else who may have taped the walkthrough. He had not seen such a tape. He does not know of anybody who says there is a tape.”

Levy told The New York Times last week that Walsh never claimed to have a tape of the Rams’ walkthrough, and was not the source for the Herald article.

So, the NFL “destroyed the videotapes” after showing some of them publicly.

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Go Pack. A Packers/Bears NFC Championship game would be epic.

Mr. D on January 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Yep, it would be awesome. Going with our home team… Go Packers!!!

WhoU4 on January 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Did I say that the Steeler haters had a monopoly?

Also strange you avoided the point that Justin said I lied…hmmm mysterious.

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Del Dole: keep defending your Pats. The majority of fans ain’t buying.

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Did I say that the Steeler haters had a monopoly?

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Thanks for admitting you’re an idiot for hating the Patriots! That wasn’t so hard, was it?

BTW, the Mau’i “assistant golf pro” who made those discredited accusations against the Patriots seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Do a Google search and there has been no trace of him in almost 3 years.

In fact, he no longer works at Ka’anapali as the Assistant Golf Professional.

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM

…keep defending your Pats. The majority of fans ain’t buying.

Someone once said:
“Half of humanity has an IQ of less than 100. Facts like that tend to draw things into sharp focus quickly.”

EA_MAN on January 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Well, 3 of my cousins and I were out in the deer stand in Mississippi last week when the plague of injuries finally caught up with our Who Dat boys. We texted each other updates while watching for a certain 8-pointer, and missed the first 3 quarters, but the 4th qtr. without any of our running backs was enough to see.

So, anytime one’s team is knocked out, one has to find reasons to pull for or against other teams, no?

And as I am not particularly fans of other teams, then I can pick based upon my own criteria, right?

Well, then, I already know I am pulling for the Steelers against Baltimore.

Why?

Joe Flacco.

A few weeks back, I watched a close-up camera shot of him unleashing a 20-30-second profane tirade of what seemed like every obscenity in the language, against a referee, after a play he didn’t like, including what looked like about 5 diferent versions of the f-word.

Nice tight camera shot. This man is being paid big money to be, like it or not, a role model for millions of kids. That was all I needed to see to determine what a low-class individual Joe Flacco is. I thought the commissioner and his team certainly should have suspended him for a game, and he certainly should have been ejected.

I hope the Steelers crush him and he cries.

cane_loader on January 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Before anyone calls me a hypocrite to support Roethlisberger’s team over Flacco’s, I say that while Roethlisberger was accused of private behavior by someone else, and some call him a “rapist,” and maybe he was guilty or maybe not, I saw Flacco’s obscenity right there in person on my TV and so I will go with my own eyes over the word of a woman who may or may not have had an agenda.

Flacco’s behavior was right in front of my face and I think he is a gutter individual.

cane_loader on January 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Today, I am picking the Ravens over the Steelers and the Falcons over the Packers. Tomorrow I am picking the Jets over the Pats, and the Seahawks over the Bears. Next week, it will be the Jets over the Ravens and the Seahawks over the Falcons

Seahawks take the Superbowl…

Ok, I couldn’t type that with a straight face :) Ravens take Steelers and GB burns down Atlanta today, with Pats (may they die the Chinese hell of jackwagon football players) and Bears maul the Seahawks tomorrow.

Wolftech on January 15, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Del Dole: keep defending your Pats. The majority of bitter Steelers and Jets fans ain’t buying.

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM

And you keep on trying to find “proof” that the Patriots “cheated” on a regular basis. BTW I fixed your post for you.

Outside of Pittsburgh and New Jersey, the New England Patriots are recognized as one of the most respected franchises in all of sports. And one of the most valuable.

In the NFL, according to Forbes Magazine they are the third most valuable team (Dallas #1, Redskins #2). The Jets are #6, Ravens #8, and the Steelers are a paltry #17. In the entire world, the Patriots are the 5th most valuable sports franchise (Manchester United is #1)

As for TV rankings this year, of the Top 5 most-watched games, the Patriots played in two of them-the Bears game in the snowstorm was #2, and their Turkey Day blowout of Detroit was #5. They also had the #19 game.

Meanwhile, the only appearance by the Steelers or Jets in the most-viewed games in 2010? #14, from last month when the Steelers played…the Jets.

Those numbers do not include ESPN NFL games. Those results?

Patriots-Jets #6
Steelers-Bengals #9
Ravens-Jets #10
Patriots-Dolphins #11

I will give the Steelers credit for one thing-so far this year they are #1 (last year they were #2) for NFL merchandise sales! The Patriots are #5.

Of course, gang members like the Steelers jerseys, which might account for the large sales totals. Ask the Crips.

“Operation Bad Sport” led to charges being filed against 13 alleged drug dealers accused of being involved in the $2.2 million cocaine ring, Corbett said.

He said two of the defendants are known to be members of the “Race Street Crips,” a violent street gang.

Clients would allegedly request their cocaine over the phone using codes. If they ordered a “Ben Roethlisberger Jersey” or a “Vick” that meant 7 grams of cocaine.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick both wear No. 7.

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM

cane_loader on January 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Yes, because no one in sports other than Joe Flacco has ever unleashed a tirade of expletives during a game before. I’m sure the Saints are, well, saints at all times.

And, I’m sure as a Saints fan you know the backstory on Flacco’s complaint, right? Couldn’t be a context, could there. Just so you know, the complaint stems from a number of unflagged hits on him throughout the year. Roethlesburger gets the same treatment for the most part; some quarterbacks are protected by the refs and some aren’t- at least by all appearances. Flacco got rolled into by a Saints lineman at the knees and nothing was called. I don’t think it was so much the Saint lineman he was upset at, or even that the hit was malicious, but strictly by the rules, that was a penalty. (It wasn’t called like so many others in his case. He was hit helmet to helmet on a slide by the Chiefs last week, and again, no flag.) Regardless of how he expressed it, and maybe that wasn’t to your standards for football players, he was telling the refs to call a fair game.

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

CWforFreedom on January 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Calm down CW- don’t have a coronary.

Lets see, Steelers backups: 3-1, Ben: 9-3.
Week 4: Balt 17, Pitt 14.
Week 13: Pitt 13, Balt 10.

So the Steelers scored more on offense against the Raven’s D with a backup, and if it weren’t for a blown coverage in minutes to go deep in Raven’s territory, Ben likely wouldn’t have put up a touchdown in week 13. But you’re probably right, the Steelers’ll win today by 50 since Ben’s playing.

I guess you just better hope the Jets beat the Pats; I’m sure you don’t want to risk another Brady beatdown, especially since you’ll have to play at Gillette if you win today. Then again, you guys lost to the Jets too… at home.

But don’t worry, I’m sure Ben will be the difference maker just as he was in those two games. Ooops. I forgot. He lost both of those games. At home.

Better hope that achilles holds up…

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Nope, Flacco has won two games against the Steelers.

justinx0r on January 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Learn to read idiot. 0-5 Vs. Ben. I notice that the haters tend to be idiots.

You herped so hard you derped. I did say that, but you just copied and pasted half of what I said. Way to be a retard.

justinx0r on January 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Sweet… I’m really looking forward to attending the NFC championship at Qwest.

DaveS on January 15, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Go Pack Go!

El_Terrible on January 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Steelers by 2 TD’s!!

The Pop Rocks “Steelers Godzilla”

heckrules on January 15, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Miss the game because of a two-year old’s birthday party??? Get her a Terrible Towel and GO STEELERS GO!!!! :-D

allanbourdius on January 15, 2011 at 3:42 PM

The Packers are not a good road team…

Ed Morrissey

Didn’t they just go into NE and come within a play or two of beating them, with a backup QB?

TugboatPhil on January 15, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Ravens 24, Steelers 17

And the world rejoices.

SouthernGent on January 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Well, I can see the Steelers are up to date on their Referee payoffs.

Wolftech on January 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Looks like they aren’t going to call offensive holding in this game. Gonna take at least 30 points to win.

forest on January 15, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Well, I can see the Steelers are up to date on their Referee payoffs.

Wolftech on January 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM

No kidding! Good lord this is embarrassing!

SouthernGent on January 15, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Uh-oh. Looks like the refs are going to have to come up with something like the tuck rule to negate this one.

TugboatPhil on January 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Wow. Guess that ref will be fired at halftime. Ambassador Rooney isn’t going to like this at all.

TugboatPhil on January 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM

This “the refs conspire to make the Steelers win” is approaching truther proportions.

forest on January 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Good grief. What part of “play until the whistle blows” don’t the Steelers understand?

On the other hand, we’re snacking on some awesome wings. Which helps, a little.

Scott P on January 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM

BKeyser on January 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Did that non-call directly influence the outcome of that game? After all, the Saints lost. And even though the Ravens had twice as many penalties as the Saints in that game (10-5), the resulting penalty years were equal (68)

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Penalties so far:

Ravens-2 for 47 yards
Pittsburgh-4 for 59 yards

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I’d like to track how often dumb decisions on special teams cost teams games. Don’t catch a punt on the 5 – especially with no opponents behind you to stop it, and don’t push someone when you can read his name on the back of his shirt. Pretty simple stuff.

forest on January 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Steelers’ offense is self destructing….

rukiddingme on January 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Well, that particular decision to catch a punt on the 5 cost the Steelers 7 points.

Hey, anybody see that pass rusher literally get tackled from behind on the play before the touchdown. I guess the guy who got beat figured he’d rather take the 10 yard penalty rather than maybe give up a sack/fumble. But it didn’t get called. I said they weren’t calling offensive holding in this game, but that’s getting ridiculous.

forest on January 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Damn STEELERS fans your team makin a lot of mistakes here early. I dont have a dog in this hunt my team(COLTS) are done but better get it goin….

PTN 39 on January 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM

D’OH! I will give myself a 15 yard penalty.

Del Dolemonte on January 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I dont have a dog in this hunt
PTN 39 on January 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Me neither. But I am enjoying this one so far.

conservnut on January 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM

PTN 39 on January 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM

You betcha. Not picking up a ball that might be a fumble because that would be too much hassle, and then catching a punt on the 5. If you have the ball inside your own 10 against the Ravens, they are way more likely to score than you are. Just take the damn touchback.

forest on January 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I was and am confident the Ravens would/will win this one, both games they played against the Steelers they had the upper hand even though they split the season series. The Ravens just dominated in the first half, I wonder if we’ll see another Steelers comeback, or if the Ravens are just too much for them as I suspected.

Daemonocracy on January 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Sand-Lot = Season Over.
Go Squealers!

nimrod on January 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM

The danged Steelers just won’t go away. looks like they are gonna tie this b!tch up.

BierManVA on January 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Ravens are acting like losers again. They just have this compulsion to give away games to the Steelers. Disgusting.

WannabeAnglican on January 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Yes. Tie game!

rukiddingme on January 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Now the Ravens’ offense is self destructing.

What a game!

rukiddingme on January 15, 2011 at 7:00 PM

And another fumble. What losers. My contempt for Baltimore is almost as great as my hatred of the Steelers.

WannabeAnglican on January 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Holy sheepsh4t. What a difference a quarter makes.

Scott P on January 15, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Ed, you’re missing a classic! Hope the party winds down soon.

Scott P on January 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Stillers caught another punt on the 5 yard line. Unbelievable.

forest on January 15, 2011 at 7:26 PM

C’mon Ravens, prove me wrong.

WannabeAnglican on January 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Letting them get a big play on 3 and long. That’s what losers do.

WannabeAnglican on January 15, 2011 at 7:42 PM

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!! *collective sigh of relief from Steeler nation. whew*

conservative pilgrim on January 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Steelers game is a good one!

After the half, I wrote ‘em off. Shoulda know better, as a Jets fan who’s seen his team make some miraculous comebacks. This year, at least.

JetBoy on January 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Holy crap. Holy crap. 1st and goal at the two minute warning!

Scott P on January 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Ravens victim of bad refs.

SANTA on January 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM

JetBoy on January 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM

It cross my mind……This is a gut wrencher.

conservative pilgrim on January 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM