Maine governor to NAACP: “Kiss my butt”

posted at 7:21 pm on January 14, 2011 by Allahpundit

Why would a man engage in such undiplomatic language? My theory: After a week of incendiary and irresponsible rhetoric from the left over the Arizona shootings, his nerves were frayed by the “climate of hate” and he just snapped. Granted, I have zero proof, but it pleases my partisan sensibilities to believe it, and besides, it’s a fittingly idiotic note on which to end a week of pure political insanity. So congratulations, liberals — you drove him to this.

Slublog has all the background you need on what inspired this dastardly act of speech-hate, including a reminder of the NAACP’s own Krugman-esque regard for tea partiers. The man’s either (a) the next Chris Christie or (b) obviously a violent racist. Perhaps we should ask his adopted son from Jamaica which it is?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bravo! Second look at LePage!

petefrt on January 14, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Let`s hope he isn`t the next Chris Christie……. We`re all seeing where that train is heading.

ThePrez on January 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Love it

Mark1971 on January 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Beautiful

Jason Coleman on January 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM

sweet.

khacha on January 14, 2011 at 7:26 PM

we are at the point that many politicians simply voice platitudes on MLK, personally I think that is more offensive that this governor.

rob verdi on January 14, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Search his name on Wikipedia.

His website doesn’t mention his party nor does this article.

I didn’t have to be told. The minute I found out he was poor and learned to work for a living and then became a successful business man, I knew he wasn’t a Dem.

Folks like this guy with his story are NEVER Dems. It is against their whole life experience. It would be an insult.

I really like this guy’s attitude…………..

Opposite Day on January 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Huh. AP is miscasting the statement. LePage didn’t say that TO the NAACP.

Crawford on January 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM

That’s the kind of civility and bi-partisanship we can understand and respect.

petefrt on January 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Sounds about right.

davidk on January 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Huh. AP is miscasting the statement. LePage didn’t say that TO the NAACP.

No, not *literally* in the sense that a rep from the group is standing right there, but that’s his message to them.

Allahpundit on January 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Opposite Day on January 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Conditional post;
(If and only if he is a Repub.)

Explosive troll attack in 5….4….3….2….

cableguy615 on January 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM

LePage is awesome. He makes me want to move back to Maine.

joe_doufu on January 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM

LOL “speech-hate”

LOVE IT.

blatantblue on January 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM

OH, Yeah! Christie all over again! (and- like this guy- I have skin tones in my family that don’t come from me.)

Really, folks; there is no racism here. He’s just as tired as a lot of us are of that card being pulled out all the time.

michaelo on January 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Hah! I love that man.

KSgop on January 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM

To sate the obvious, it’s time we started calling out the NAACP for the uber-leftist, race-mongering outfit it has become.

petefrt on January 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM

And another thing: The NAACP has stated that his statement is……wait for it……RACIST.

“Governor Le Page’s decision to inflame racial tension on the eve of the King holiday denigrates his office. His words are a reminder of the worst aspects of Maine’s history and out of touch with our nation’s deep yearning for increased civility and racial healing.”

But I’m confused. Saying to “kiss my butt” is racist, but saying you’re gonna’ “kick some ass” like our esteemed POTUS sated recently is ……..what exactly?

Opposite Day on January 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I think we just heard an honest response from a politician.

deewhybee on January 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Even in defense, Slublog is entirely too sensitive. “Kiss my butt.” Wow. Wasn’t the laughter after the statement a clue as to its sincerity?

A world where a man can’t say “kiss my butt” is a world I don’t want to live in.

By the way, anyone know how much life this has on the lefty blogs? I hope they’re trying to run this one up the flagpole too- credibility is already in short supply over there; this one will just spend some more.

BKeyser on January 14, 2011 at 7:35 PM

NAACP Bullies just got served

Kini on January 14, 2011 at 7:36 PM

The NAACP is no better or no worse than any special interest organization and deserves no immunity from being answered in a blunt manner for taking unreasonable and politically motivated actions.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 14, 2011 at 7:36 PM

At least he said it with a smile – probably more than I could have summoned up but he has those politician-type skills.

I say good for him.

Drained Brain on January 14, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I like this guy! Can with switch with my Governor moonbeam ?

sandee on January 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Why I hear was “kiss my lily-white butt.”

/racebating off

29Victor on January 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Here’s what the head of the NAACP, Benjamin Jealous, said in response:

“Gov. LePage’s decision to inflame racial tension on the eve of the King holiday denigrates his office. His words are a reminder of the worst aspects of Maine’s history and out of touch with our nation’s deep yearning for increased civility and racial healing.”

Excuse me?

mrt721 on January 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Opposite Day on January 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Slu actually provides the context to make the NAACP statement quite self-damning. The KKK in Maine didn’t go after blacks – of which there are very few in Maine even today – but after French Catholics. Who can count among their number a certain Paul LePage.

That would be as if the NAACP bashed Michael Steele and said that “this conjures up the slave state history of Maryland.”

KingGold on January 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Opposite Day on January 14, 2011 at 7:33 PM

To me, baiting is the new evil in this country. Race-baiting, rhetoric-baiting, compassion-baiting, selfishness-baiting. It’s no longer what’s done that matters, but how it’s twisted to mean something else. The “fear of the smear” is running our public discourse. Political Correctness.

Paul-Cincy on January 14, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Hot damn!Good for him.

katy the mean old lady on January 14, 2011 at 7:40 PM

LePage is awesome. He makes me want to move back to Maine.

joe_doufu on January 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Snowe….Collins…

BigWyo on January 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM

ok I like him so far. Hopefully he won’t turn out to be another liberal chrsite in conservative drag

unseen on January 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM

So betting Benjamin Jealous has never even been to Maine.

roy_batty on January 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Impossibly excellent. Long overdue. The Left has only increased the intimidation and abuse to the point when no other reaction was possible. I’m guessing now they will pull out their new “incivility” card, as in this kind of incivility leads to hatred and violence. There is no winning in their world of twisted rules and inverted morality unless we push back and keep pushing back.

rrpjr on January 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Snowe….Collins…

BigWyo on January 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM

……primary……

The times they are a changin’

roy_batty on January 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM

ThePrez on January 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM

How about the next Jan Brewer (fighting unfounded charges of racism)?

itsnotaboutme on January 14, 2011 at 7:48 PM

refreshing!

Viper1 on January 14, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Shouldn’t that be “Kiss my sphincter”?

SouthernGent on January 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Excuse me?

mrt721 on January 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I think it’s in their letterhead.

29Victor on January 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM

About time someone told those race pimps where to get off…

JIMV on January 14, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Don’t Retreat, Reload / Kiss my Butt ’12!!!

portlandon on January 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Three cheers for Gov LePage!

And two thumbs down for the NAACP’s knee-jerk reaction.

I hope I live long enough to see the day when the NAACP and race-hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson will be called to account for their extortionate ways and their incitements of violence.

MrScribbler on January 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Here’s what the head of the NAACP, Benjamin Jealous, said in response:

Excuse me?

mrt721 on January 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Give him his props. He’s a master baiter.

Paul-Cincy on January 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM

The Race Card b. 1970 d. 2011.

Thanks, Jesse Jacka$$ and Reverend Alf.

Claypigeon on January 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM

itsnotaboutme on January 14, 2011 at 7:48 PM

That works. And now, something to blow the doors off that organization……

LePage/West: 2012!

ThePrez on January 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM

……primary……

The times they are a changin’

roy_batty on January 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Collins yes, Snowe no. If not for Snowe’s first husband, LePage would be either homeless or dead right now. Expect him to run so much interference that toppling Snowe would be a Pyrrhic victory at the very best. It’s not worth it.

KingGold on January 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM

The racists thieves at the naacp need to disband and find real jobs. Stealing from whitey because your skin color says you can went out with the obama ‘yes we can’ scam. Get a job, show up, and work like the rest of us. Obama has shown to the world what a waste of time and money it has been trying to ‘equalize’ things for the black man. What do we get? Well fed, dumb as rocks, lazier than ever, whitey hating, liars thieves and cheats. Oh ya, and lazy. Drug test for welfare checks, no matter what color. And racial equality in the NBA.
Jerks.

frizzbee on January 14, 2011 at 7:56 PM

So this guy’s adopted son would then be an Uncle Tom-mon?

Ba-dum-bum.

catmman on January 14, 2011 at 7:56 PM

LePage: I told them I’d meet with all the prisoners, but I wouldn’t meet with just the black prisoners.

Buy Danish on January 14, 2011 at 7:56 PM

LePaige channeling TYRA BANKS

SouthernGent on January 14, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Here’s what the head of the NAACP, Benjamin Jealous, said in response:
Excuse me?
mrt721 on January 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM

When exactly did the liberals in our nation start this “deep yearning for increased civility”? Was this before or after they accused Palin, Limbaugh, et al of inciting the Arizona shootings?

JSGreg3 on January 14, 2011 at 8:00 PM

IMO, it about high time people stand up to those who demand you crater to them! Good for you LePage, wish more had your wonderful ‘Kiss my butt’ attitude.
L

letget on January 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I grew up in Maine, and left about 27 years ago, and have been disgusted with Maine politics ever since.

I watched this guy from the moment he announced his primary run. My gut told me he could win. He won. Then he won the general.

It was a sign to me that Maine was waking up. Maine attitudes are difficult to explain to anyone that is not familiar with the people.

I can tell you this. He won, and I sensed he could win, because he personifies Maine attitudes. I guarantee you this type of statement only solidifies his popularity with the voters.

Don’t ask me to explain Snowe and Collins. Maine is different. That’s all I can tell you.

Saltysam on January 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM

LaPaige must’ve missed the Obama/Somebody 2012 campaign slogan “Together We Thrive”. So, obviously he must be a divider who wants this country to fail./

txhsmom on January 14, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Typical white person…

/s

Hog Wild on January 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM

From Politico link at Ace link above:

“We came from behind because we have a message. We have a message that says: One, we’ve had enough of the federal government. We’ve had enough. Two, we’ve had enough of the state government. And No. 3, government should be working for the people, not the people working for the government,” LePage says in the video. “And as your governor, you’re gonna be seeing a lot of me on the front page saying ‘Gov. LePage tells Obama to go to hell.’”

Disturb the Universe on January 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Jerks.

frizzbee on January 14, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Other than that frizzbee, old son, how are things? Have a pleasant weekend.

Mason on January 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM

This scandalous scandal is fun from his Wiki page. He hired his daughter as his Chief of Staff:

LePage’s daughter, holding a position described as “entry-level,” will be paid approximately $41,000 gross, in addition to receiving employee benefits estimated to total another $15,000 a year in cost. This is in addition to receiving free rent and living expenses as a member of the Governor’s family residing in the Governor’s mansion, a benefit estimated to be worth another $10,000 a year annually.

Thanks to ObamaCare she can be on her parent’s healthcare until she’s 26, but this cannot stand! From this moment forward when children of elected officials who are not Democrats reside in official residences (like the White House) they must be portrayed as corrupt, deadbeat freeloaders.

Buy Danish on January 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM

michaelo on January 14, 2011 at 7:30 PM

The only racism in this is from the NAACP who insisted that the Gov. meet with ONLY BLACK prisoners.

JannyMae on January 14, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Apology tour in 5…..4……

PappyD61 on January 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Apology tour in 5…..4……
PappyD61 on January 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM

The NAACP’s? Great idea!

Buy Danish on January 14, 2011 at 8:23 PM

scotash on January 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM

One American down, ~300 million to go.

The ACLU are bottom feeders.

Inanemergencydial on January 14, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Inanemergencydial on January 14, 2011 at 8:25 PM

LOL, get your alphabet soup of liberal organizations straight!

Inanemergencydial on January 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I’d say about 30% of commentators on HuffPo are backing Lepage! He must be doing something right.
Looks like the guy’s for real.

oakland on January 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Maine is different. That’s all I can tell you.
Saltysam on January 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Ayup. There are many great people like LePage and then there are people like Chellie Pingree who says “job-killing bill” is “hate speech”.

Buy Danish on January 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Inanemergencydial on January 14, 2011 at 8:25 PM
LOL, get your alphabet soup of liberal organizations straight!
Inanemergencydial on January 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM

LOL. I think most of us can understand your confusion.

JSGreg3 on January 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

NAACP has lost any legitimacy it had after calling the Tea Party racist for no other reason than to libel them..”

The NAACP has some of the most hateful, mean-spirited elements as any group. I have seen personally how they have tried to wreck people’s professional lives just out of spite. I know that there are many who are decent human beings, but it isn’t the “cream” that has been rising to the top.

oakland on January 14, 2011 at 8:35 PM

MrScribbler on January 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I believe that wave is building, America is waking up. It has become numb to being called names, simply because a group can’t get their way. It matters not the group, they all have words to throw if they feel any resistance to their demands. I’m done, call me what you want, there is no sting anymore, back it up or STFU! The people I surround myself with know who I am, they represent the crayon box, they know I put my country before any particular crayon.
The more these people advance this meme, the more people see it and back away from it, they need a new play list, the needle has worn it’s way through this record…

M-14 2go on January 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM

I thought I recognized this guy

At a debate Monday night in Bangor, Mitchell said a governor must be respectful of the president, a reference to a video showing LePage telling a group of fishermen last month that, if elected, he would tell President Obama to “go to hell.”

LePage shot back that he had seen a photo of Mitchell holding a photo of Bush labeling him a terrorist. Mitchell first denied knowing what LePage was talking about, but afterward the LePage campaign produced a photo of a laughing Mitchell holding a framed document or letter with a small attached photo of Bush bracketed by the words “international terrorist.”

William Amos on January 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Down with liberal identity politics.

Down with the 1960s holdovers.

Down with racism.

Good Lt on January 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I think “kiss my butt” is overshadowing the better part of the quote: “Tell them to come over for dinner and my son can talk to them about it”. THAT is the real slap in the face IMO.

Mord on January 14, 2011 at 9:00 PM

“If they wanna play the race card, come to dinner and my son will talk to ‘em”……woops, I misremembered.

Mord on January 14, 2011 at 9:02 PM

William Amos on January 14, 2011 at 8:46 PM

OOPS.

Buy Danish on January 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM

He could have phrased it a little differently. I’m glad to see he took the president’s words about civility to heart.

ncborn on January 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Undiplomatic language? Give me a break A-pundit. The NAACP is nothing but a race-baiting blackmail outfit. Dirtbag hypocrites every one. They pulled this crap in NH years ago even though NH had a holiday dedicated to race relations. Their problem with it? It wasn’t MLK day!

woodNfish on January 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM

woodNfish on January 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Hopefully AP’s posts won’t have to be littered with sarc tags in the future so readers like you don’t take things the wrong way. We can’t be too careful, since Media Matters could quote him verbatim and splash his hate speech all over the headlines.

Buy Danish on January 14, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Couple of things – LePage was the Tea Party candidate for this office – and he won. This should be an indication of how far Maine has come.

Also – this is precisely the kind of guy you want in politics – an “unrehearsed” guy with a rough edge – salt of the earth.

That’s how you identify someone who’s lived a normal life and can bring sanity back into our political institutions.

We’ve had enough “slick willies”.

HondaV65 on January 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Yes, it was pretty grim up here in Maine; bodies prostrate on the streets of Portland and on college campi statewide, trembling with shock at the governor’s vile utterance.

A whole generation of virgin ears has just been deflowered.

PersonFromPorlock on January 14, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Beautiful.

It’s the only way to respond to race-baiting. You don’t dignify the charges or the accusers. Trent Lott would’ve done better to go this route rather than the pandering for people who only feel empowered when you do pander.

PackerBronco on January 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I have zero respect for the NAACP.

j_galt on January 14, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I have zero respect for the NAACP.
j_galt on January 14, 2011 at 9:38 PM

They started off admirably enough.

Buy Danish on January 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Great! Now if we could only get some CEO’s to grow a set and tell “Shakedown” Jackson to f/off!

GarandFan on January 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM

I like that he said that the NAACP was just another special interest group. These self appointed representatives of all black people seem to have quite a high opinion of themselves to think they can dictate the schedule of a Governor.

RadClown on January 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM

They started off admirably enough.

Buy Danish on January 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Every group usually starts off admirably enough. But, alas, every group always ends up corrupt. The NAACP is the same. The fact that they are black, or represent black people, has no bearing on the fact that they are corrupt.

j_galt on January 14, 2011 at 9:55 PM

The race card is now defunct. All they have left is class ware and we’ll see how far that gets them.

erp on January 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Governor Le Page’s decision to inflame racial tension on the eve of the King holiday denigrates …
denigrates…
nigrates…

NAACP IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

notalemon on January 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM

And the impeachment demand / lawsuit arrives…Tuesday?

eeyore on January 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Here’s what the head of the NAACP, Benjamin Jealous, said in response:

Did the NAACP invite one single member of the Tea Party to the MLK event???

TN Mom on January 14, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Hey, if he weren’t from Maine I’d say he must be a Cracker.

JimP on January 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I knew the guy that started the NAACP in Maine. He was White, and Jewish. Maine had about a one percent Black population until the folks from Somalia started showing up and depleting entitlements. When the mayor of Lewiston asked for no more Somalians, the NAACP labeled him and the State racist Maine already had enough people to provide entitlements to.

Hening on January 14, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Allahpundit on January 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM

And you know that how? Did you hear his thoughts through one of the fillings in your teeth?

Luka on January 14, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Ok, but we DON’T WANT THE IRISH!!!

greggriffith on January 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Allahpundit on January 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Luka on January 14, 2011 at 11:58 PM

“Tell ‘em to(carry the message to them) “kiss my butt.”(The message)

Slowburn on January 15, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Good show Governor

tell those lackeys that attack the caucasions as the root of all their ills that a more important crisis is there for them

I’m talking Pygmies

it seems that the numerous warring militants in the Congo have one thing in common

they all agree that Pygmies taste good so they hunt them like rabbits

it’s not all bad since they know Pygmies are magical and dining on them makes their night vision better and increases their hunting skills

so there you have it

I wonder what mlk would say about that

where man will not be judged by the vor of his skin, but by the tasteyness of it….

Sonosam on January 15, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Unnecessarily provocative. What we don’t need.

ddrintn on January 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Good for him.

mmcnamer1 on January 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM

HAHAHAHA! I love you Allah…

surrounded on January 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM

If he can turn Maine around, my husband and I may have to rethink our retirement plans.

Mommynator on January 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Civility we can believe in. This is beautiful.

antisocial on January 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM