No, Boehner didn’t “snub” memorial rally

posted at 1:36 pm on January 13, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

This obnoxious meme began last night when word got out that House Speaker John Boehner didn’t travel with Barack Obama to Arizona for last night’s memorial in Tucson.  Boehner snubbed Obama!  He snubbed Giffords! As Brian Beutler points out at TPM, a look at the schedule makes it clear that Boehner had little choice but to stay in DC (via Radley Balko at Reason):

House Speaker John Boehner is catching a lot of flack for missing last night’s memorial service in Tucson, reportedly declining an Air Force One invitation from President Obama in order to slap backs and clink glasses at an RNC event.

But a look at the timeline of events paints Boehner in a better light.

Yesterday, House members attended a vigil for victims of the Arizona shooting spree in an auditorium underneath the Capitol Visitor’s Center. As they trickled in, a House aide provided reporters, including me, a glimpse of the program of events and list of speakers. There was one small revision to the schedule, though: Minority Whip Steny Hoyer would be reading Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi’s portion of scripture, because she was on her way to Tucson with the President.

If Boehner had accepted the invitation, then the leaders of both parties would have missed the Wednesday vigil.

Presented with this recollection of events, Boehner’s spokesman Michael Steel confirmed, and defended his boss. “Boehner would not have been able to attend the bipartisan prayer service if he’d gone to Tucson,” he said. “Yesterday, Rep. Giffords’ colleagues on both sides of the aisle honored her and mourned those who were lost. The Speaker felt his place was here in the House, with them.”

Boehner’s role as leader of the House was to be on Capitol Hill to lead the House in its own memorial for Giffords’ aide and its vigil for its member.  Pelosi, as the leader of her caucus, could have appropriately chosen either venue for her public appearance.  Both chose wisely, and both spent their time appropriately honoring the fallen.

Similarly, a lot of criticism over the memorial last night seems to have been misdirected.  People are blaming the White House for the “Together We Thrive” t-shirts that were distributed last night, but that appears to have been a local effort by students at the college, who chose the University of Arizona’s color:

At memorial services for other incidents of national tragedy, the atmosphere has been decidedly more somber. During former president Bill Clinton’s speech after the Oklahoma bombing memorial, for example, applause broke out only a few times, and the clapping was much more subdued.

Some big differences exist, however. Much of the focus was on the hope for the family of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and 12 other victims who are still healing from their injuries. The crowd Wednesday night responded joyfully, especially to the news that Giffords had opened one eye in the hospital a short time earlier, and to Obama’s praise of the heroism of Giffords intern Daniel Hernandez.

The venue also differed. Clinton gave his speech at a State Fair arena, whereas a college hosted Obama. The college students created the logo, and passed out t-shirts for the event, possibly imbuing it with more of a pep rally feel.

I too was put off by the cheering, whistling, and catcalling that took place, especially early in the ceremony, and I think that the university’s president, Robert Shelton, could have set a better tone by dialing down the enthusiasm with which he introduced the speakers.  But the speakers themselves took an appropriately reflective tone during the event, and the crowd seemed to finally realize that the party atmosphere was a little off when Obama delivered his speech.  In any case, it doesn’t appear that the White House had anything to do with the t-shirts or stoking the reaction from the crowd that so many found disconcerting; those concerns should be directed to the university instead.

Also, some are accusing Obama of “lying” about Giffords opening her eyes for the first time that day, pointing to a report on Sunday that left some with the impression that she had already accomplished that.  Jake Tapper reports on the confusion:

President Obama’s dramatic news at last night’s memorial service in Tucson that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’ has just minutes before opened her left eye for the first time since the shooting has created some confusion in light of news from doctors that Giffords “could open her eyes” on Sunday.

But doctors today provided a simple explanation: Wednesday was the first time Giffords opened her eyes on her own, which Giffords’ neurosurgeon, Dr. Michael Lemole Thursday called “a major milestone.”

“When we examine patients, particularly in this state we have to ‘wake them up,’ give them some stimulus, and with that stimulus they might crack their eyes,” Lemole said today. “That’s very different from speaking to someone and having them open their eyes, or having them open their eyes spontaneously in response to familiarity.” …

The president’s remarks were meant, the White House says, to convey that she had opened her eyes on her own for the first time.

Even if the remark turned out to be incorrect, it wouldn’t necessarily have been a “lie,” either.  That’s something conservatives have pointed out repeatedly when people accuse George Bush of “lying” to get us into a war in Iraq over intelligence about WMD.  It would have applied in this case as well had Obama been mistaken — which as it turns out, he wasn’t.

We have enough to debate, discuss, and do without focusing on these things.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The better question is why WAS Nancy Pelosi there?

rockmom on January 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Because of the violence in the 70s which, to this day, makes her cry botox tears.

Christien on January 13, 2011 at 2:32 PM

The better question is why WAS Nancy Pelosi there? She isn’t from Arizona. She isn’t Speaker anymore. But you can bet she had a front row seat on Air Force One, at our expense. Since she had to give up her private jet, she is taking any chance she can get to ride first class on the taxpayer’s dime.

She certainly would not have been there had Gabrielle Giffords been a Republican. Her presence made this a partisan event.

rockmom on January 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM

That was the 1st thing I thought of last night when I saw her there. WTF?!

Cause I’m getting sick of people who say they support liberty telling everyone how they have to do everything and b**chin and whining about every little d*mn detail. Was it evena memorial? Some here are saying it was a funeral. It was not! And even if it was not every memorial/funeral has to be a big boo fest. Sometimes people want to feel uplifted and together. Who the hell knows. If Obama cried tears you’d say they were fake and this was a boo fest on him. If there were no t-shirts you’d be complaining about their being no t-shirts. If no one clapped you say proudly weren’t clapping because they didn’t like the President.

I’m sorry, really I am. I love this site and you guys have the right to your opinions I value a lot of them even if I believe they are wrong. It helps with balance of perspectives. I try to avoid commenting but the constant irrational whaaa whaaa whaaa-ing and teeth gnashing sometimes gets to be a bit much and sometimes pulls me out of lurkdom.

The left did this crap to Bush and it absolutely nauseating.

Magnus on January 13, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Well I saw BO starting to tear up & it was actually the only time I’ve seen that guy be sincere. I believed he was truly saddened.
And memorial services are basically nothing but a funeral.
I’ve been to lots of both.
They are very sad affairs.
I went to the memorial service of my student & daughter’s classmate, a 16yo girl killed in a car accident.
No one was cheering there.
I didn’t get a T-shirt & even though the mayor was there, there were no photo ops going on.
And I have never been to a memorial or funeral where anyone has ever clapped.
This is a free country of course & we all here at HA are then allowed to muse & ponder about the tastefullness of this display, which was IMHO dusgusting & disrespectful to those whose family were killed that day.
Maybe they were finewith it, but I’m not so sure about that.

Badger40 on January 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM

J_Crater on January 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Yip! Because in their petty little minds, Obama was not excoriating them, only the right.

capejasmine on January 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM

1. Tucson officials failed to commemorate their local moment of silence for community bonding after the violence in their town.
2. Obama should have broadcast his sincere concerns for the victims from the Oval Office.
3. Obama did immediately send the FBI Chief Mueller to take charge overseeing the Sheriff’s horrible investigation. Do note how Dupnik’s tone remains shrill.
4. If anyone from the presidency should have made a personal appearance in Tucson, that would be VP Biden who should have been sent to the scene on behalf of the President and the American citizens to show respect for Tucson’s American citizens at this time.
5. Members of Congress expressed their condolences during the nation’s “moment of silence” officiated by the Potus. 6. Congress has begun, of course despite the shootings in AZ. While in session, Washington is where Members of Congress belong. The House Speaker most certainly belongs in the House directing legislative business, not gallivanting about to make political hay out of tragedy.

Those who orchestrated the propaganda themed memorial ignored the express wishes of victims’ families that their family members not be made fodder for political grandstanding. These same political strategists also victimized the families involved, attacking them through the media as being unfit members of society for their personal wishes to be granted solace through privacy.

So now these propagandists are transferring attention from the shooting itself (erroneously blaming conservatives, who coincidentally comprised many of Loughner’s victims) to their memorial rally. Assimilate therein or be labeled the bigot (again without foundation) by the dogmatic.

maverick muse on January 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Ed and ALLCON<
Just got off the phone with both Cantor and Boehner's offices.Am assured repeal of Health Care is on for next week. Both offices also referred me to a story they have put out on Politico.
Health law repeal on Tuesday agenda
By JAKE SHERMAN | 1/13/11 2:22 PM
linked from Politico

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 13, 2011 at 2:37 PM

We have enough to debate, discuss, and do without focusing on these things

This is pathetic. Just say it’s not worth it and stop there. Don’t say it’s not a lie and a shameful political ploy.

faraway on January 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

That was the 1st thing I thought of last night when I saw her there. WTF?!

Remember when Nancy said she didn’t plan on staying in that smaller office for long? That is why she was there. She’s keeping herself in the public eye. Showing what a good leader she is. Obama is helping with that. He owes her for Obamacare.

capejasmine on January 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

So Bush was to blame for the Mission Accomplished banner after all?

Ed Morrissey on January 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM

The defense of that banners is and always should be that it was factually true. Period.

And of course Bush was responsible for it. He gave them their mission.

Why call it blame?

Oxrock on January 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I used to write that there was no depth too deep for the Left’s corruption. Their unfounded dogma, that the Left is pure and the Right is evil, plays out in scripted sequel performances, pageant after pageant. What a shame that antipathy for equality under the law be at the root of opportunistic “compassion”.

Deception.

My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.

Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night.

Thulsa Doom

When Sen. Obama first released his original online video announcement for his radical Leftist potus campaign platform (including his personal army as large, well trained and funded as the US Military), I noted thereafter his Thulsa Doom attempted impersonations comprising his TOTUS political persona appearances on screen.

maverick muse on January 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Were any of the dead or wounded part of the Yacqui Indian tribe? Did they worship plants and such?

Dr. Gonzalez was a 1999 Clinton appointee (think border issues).

faraway on January 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM

maverick muse on January 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Well said.
I agree that it was not necessary for POTUS to be there. VP Biden would have been an excellent choice.
Or perhaps the SPeaker I guess.
But why did the POTUS have to be there for this?
In actuality I think this would have made things much worse with all of the chaos that ensues from having the POTUS go anywhere.
He also could have met privately with the victims’ families in the White House later.
That would have been more sincere, IMHO.

Badger40 on January 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Not buying it, Ed. A President’s staff usually has full control of the situation and what goes on. I didn’t fall off the turnip truck this morning, as the old saying goes, and I don’t buy this crap that this was all planned and done by the students without White House knowledge. Who would presume to do this on behalf of the president without his approval? It was a political rally, pure and simple. You can spin it any way you want, but it doesn’t work for a lot of us.

silvernana on January 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM

capejasmine on January 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I really do not doubt it.
Napolt. I could understand being there.
In fact, as I said to maverick muse above, someone else representing the White House should have been there.
Janet would have been the person to send bcs of her
AZ ties.
But POTUS & PElosi really had no business being there at all.

Badger40 on January 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Ed – hope you have the ski’s secured now that you have jumped the shark. Last night you and your fellow lemmings willingly surrendered the moral high ground to a Marxist at a staged political rally disguised as a memorial. I have no hope left after last night that the GOP will aggressively try to repeal Obamacare. Barry and the press now own the narrative and can demonize anyone they choose. Boehner will fold like a lawn chair and will embarrass us by crying and reaching across the aisle to work with the socialists. Palin has now been eliminated because you and the squishes in the press and on FNC let Barry off scott free from the deplorable actions taken against her by his minions with his approval. I fear for her safety now that the left has been given carte blanch to ‘punish their enemies’ without consequences or reappraisals . You have all been played. Today is a great day for Barry and a sad day for our country. The GOP will now willingly sit in the back seat while Barry drives us off the cliff. Good work .

DeweyWins on January 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Oxrock on January 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Game. Set. Match.

Christien on January 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Well, I snubbed the pep rally too. Disgraceful display on the part of the organizers. Do none of these people understand what a memorial service is?

I am appalled and disgusted by the widespread disregard of the families of the victims.

What ever happened to common decency? Whatever happened to keeping your silence and your place, at least until the bereaved can bury their dead?

I am sick to death of the callow and the callous.

novaculus on January 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM

If I were Boehner, I wouldn’t have dared go there either. He might have been stoned by that bunch, and the only reason the BLM (Blood Libel Media) is having a snit about it is they didn’t get to see that happen.

silvernana on January 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM

maverick muse on January 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Exactly. Those vultures only added insult to injury.

Christien on January 13, 2011 at 3:01 PM

CNN let the lefties spin the Violent Vitriolic Rhetoric Rant -that had nothing to do with the Arizona Massacre….and now they are defending the Pep Rally atmosphere of the memorial service for the Murdered.

CNN Comedian: When I die I want a party. I want people to celebrate my life…Fair enough. What does that have to do with the wishes of the family of the MURDERED dead from the Arizona Massacre? A celebration for someone who has died of natural causes or illness and observing that individual’s personal wishes is one thing. But a Pep Rally for people who have been murdered? Including a 9 year old little girl, they think that is appropriate expression without ever taking the family’s wishes into account? CNN we just get to decide these things for everyone else. For example, we will decide who is responsible for inciting these murders (NO ONE), and how the murdered memorials will be observed (PEP RALLY). Arrogant Much CNN?

Instead of Professional Left, they should refer to them as The Schizophrenic Left.

Dr Evil on January 13, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Where did the money for printing all of these T-shirts (that were given away free?) come from?

journeyintothewhirlwind on January 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Someone needs to pursue this. Are we to believe the students can decide to spend this much money on their own and that the college financed this? Someone please look into this!

silvernana on January 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Magnus on January 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Last night’s memorial rally was broadcast as a national affair. So Y-not has every much a right to an opinion as anyone on the messaging directed as much at her as to anyone else viewing the event.

You want local? The Tucson Mayor, as noted by the Tucson Daily Star, failed within the first days to allow the Tucson community a more spontaneous moment of silence, to officiate something as humble as that, or to organize a local commemoration for the lives affected by Loughner’s murderous violence. Rather, Obama jumped into this crisis as soon as it happened, immediately sending in the FBI Chief Mueller to oversee the investigation prior to making his own presidential personal appearance, having already led the single moment of silence for the nation-community. Localization is identified as a homogenized, assimilated spot within the whole.

maverick muse on January 13, 2011 at 3:06 PM

And memorial services are basically nothing but a funeral.
I’ve been to lots of both.
They are very sad affairs.
No one was cheering there.
And I have never been to a memorial or funeral where anyone has ever clapped.
Maybe they were finewith it, but I’m not so sure about that.

Badger40 on January 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM

A my cousins funeral t-shirts were handed out with his picture and DOB and DOD on it. A celebrity friend of his showed up. People took pictures with him. We had a party afterward. As the funeral procession made its way to the memorial park people cheered down the streets. People cried, people laughed, his mother collapse and then later she was celebrating with us. Maybe we’re uncivilized but people do things differently. I just think it’s over the top to to say this whole thing was some orchestrated conspiracy by Obama’s White House to be a campaign rally.

But its useless to counterpoint that here just as it is when you try to refute that the US Government (aka George Bush) had knowledge of and allowed thousands of people to be murdered to get control over some oil, or that Sarah Palin didn’t birth Trig just to get political points and spite abortion critics.

If you believe a person is evil and you have hatred for them, everything they do will be viewed under that lens. And every move they make will be pounced upon and conformed to fit that narrative.

If Obama gave his speech from the Oval Office he would have been criticized ala Bush’s Katrina Flyover. Remember the 9/11 service he and Bush attended where he tossed his rose to the top of the pile and Bush laid his at the bottom. He was crucified for that. But d*mn, the other hundreds of roses/flowers on the top had to get there somehow and I’m sure everyone who placed them wasn’t 7 feet tall to gently lay them there.

Magnus on January 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Of course the White House got rolled by a bunch of college kids with t-shirts.

And why not? They haven’t been able to do a single solitary thing without being blocked at every turn by an idiot chimp who has been out of office for two years.

Lily on January 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Bush= McCain in reference to 9/11 memorial

Magnus on January 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM

silvernana on January 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM

+100

WordsMatter on January 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM

All you have to do is compare last night’s memorial to the 9/11 memorial held at the National Cathedral. Once you put them side by side, you’ll realize what a farce yesterday’s event truly was.

WordsMatter on January 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Badger40 on January 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Traditionally, the Vice President of the United States is the nation’s diplomatic emissary who also traditionally attends memorial services or funerals on behalf of the POTUS and American people.

So, the head honchos decided they couldn’t trust Biden not to screw things up on camera in Tucson.

But the gist remains, all eyes fixate on Obama the Deceiver.

/And by the way, if you’re not “with” Obama, you’re an evil bigot. Namely Palin. But also particularly if you’re the one who “stole” Nancy Pelosi’s gavel from her clutching last gasp grip as House Speaker.

maverick muse on January 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Magnus on January 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Your cousin’s funeral was arranged by family.

Last night’s rally was NOT arranged by the victim families, but by POLITICIANS.

Make room for appropriate distinctions.

And that broad brush stroke of vitriol you paint is ignorant of research that intelligent people devote the effort and time to accomplish prior to forming opinions and judgments based upon the evidence and job performance history and ongoing record of specific public servants under scrutiny. Obama just can’t refrain from inserting himself into the most private moments that truly are not his for the taking. Like Clinton, Obama destroys virtue deftly, “Because I could.”

maverick muse on January 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM

maverick muse on January 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Good point about it should’ve been VP Sheriff Joe, if anyone from the administration. He would’ve had everyone laughing and crying at the same time–a cathartic experience for all.

Christien on January 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Urban Dictionary their is a new Urban Dictionary Word check out Michelle Malkin’s blog.

New definition for Dupnik

Don’t be a Dup’nik, dupenik\noun\dup\also dy up\ nik a person who takes advantage of a tragedy to further political agenda.

Current definition of Dupnik
(n.) a buffoon, simpleton, uninformed individual that runs his/her mouth without rhyme or reason and has no idea of what they are talking about. Usually a self professed expert, short on knowledge, but is full of crap.
dude A: That tech at the apple store had no idea of what she was talking about!

dude B: Yeah, what a dupnik!

How unfortunate Clarance was born a Dupnik ;)

Use it in a sentence:

Whoever is trying to spin that Boehner snubbed the Arizona Memorial is a real Dupnik!

Dr Evil on January 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM

A my cousins funeral

Magnus on January 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

That sounds nice actually. But I’m pretty sure it didn’t go like this:

A speaker introduces himself. Says he’s half Mexican (wild cheering, thunderous applause) and half Indian (repeat wild cheering and thunderous applause). University President mentions the University of Arizona (more thunderous applause and loud cheering) and aren’t the students here just great? And once again the crowd goes wild. None of THIS was done to celebrate those who were wounded or killed.

Next comes the part where they read from the Bible after which, again, the crowd applauds raucously, as if the Scripture readings were just part of the entertainment.

And then POTUS is introduced and gets the kind of welcome usually reserved for rock stars, complete with people shouting “We love you!” during his eulogy.

It’s perfectly fine for someone to express the wish that their memorial or funeral service be a celebration. But I’m pretty sure none of those who died had asked that the University of Arizona hold a political rally to celebrate their death.

Dee2008 on January 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I call b.s. U of A’s colors are dark blue and red. I don’t buy that a president who is so keen on messaging wasn’t involved in this messaging. The presidential thing would have been to give a broadcast speech on Monday when the media was peeing all over themselves and then quietly attend a respectful memorial service.

JavelinaBomb on January 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I thought his speech was fine, and by that I mean he didn’t say anything wrong. There seems to be some consensus that he needed to say something and what he said was okay. But I question the premise that he needed to speak to the country. This wasn’t an attack on America or even an event with national ramifications. Congresswoman Griffiths will survive and, if able, go back to work…or if she can’t work, she’ll be replaced. That has implications for Arizona, but not for the rest of us. So why was it the President had to make this nationally televised ‘healing’ speech?

Dee2008 on January 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM

silvernana on January 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM

They seem to be getting frustrated that Boehner isn’t giving them any red meat to chew on. I think you are right – they wanted the optics of Boehner being booed, or at least only mildly applauded in comparison to the wild cheers for Obama.

rockmom on January 13, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Send the biggest bouquet of flowers there is and forget it. If any of the libs start complaining again, simply tell them that had it been a republican, he would have gone. That would send them into outerspace.

kens on January 13, 2011 at 4:09 PM

As for postponing the repeal of Ocare …
if I recall the timeline correctly (sorry, no time to check), when they called off business for the week,
THE REPORTS WERE THAT GIFFORDS WAS DEAD !!
That ‘news’ was out there for hours !
Just imagine the idea of a federal funeral, etc etc.
That was the proper response, AT THAT TIME, and now we know the repeal effort is still on the table, just a week later.
Translation: it wasn’t a ‘wimp out’, folks.

pambi on January 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM

As predicted!
=================

Oh boy……another front is opening up,
I do wonder what angle of attack they’ll
use,probably,out of touch!!(sarc).

Boehner a No Show!

But on the positive side,he saved himself the trouble of not getting Demonized by Hopey!!!!
=================================

Democrats slam Boehner for missing Arizona memorial service

canopfor on January 13, 2011 at 6:19 AM

canopfor on January 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM

WordsMatter on January 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Last night’s Memorial Pep Rally had as many people in attendance as the one at Fort Hood and the one for the Challenger astronauts combined.

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Our college students have little notion of proper decorum it seems.

jeanie on January 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM

90% of them have never been to a funeral, much less a memorial service.

In other words, their minds are still full of mush.

Perfect little Obamabots.

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM

And we’re supposed to believe that the White House was completely uninvolved in coordinating the rally?

I don’t care whose idea it was… the White House signed off on it. And the cute little event name. And the programs (why WAS Brewer the only one with party affiliation next to her name?).

I might give them a break on the consession stands. Does anyone know if they were selling beer?

malclave on January 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Our college students have little notion of proper decorum it seems.

jeanie on January 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM

90% of them have never been to a funeral, much less a memorial service.

In other words, their minds are still full of mush.

Perfect little Obamabots.

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Shirt-wearers shown in a photo on Gatewaypundit looked much more like SEIU zombies than students. We may be wrong in our assumption that the audience was mostly students.

slickwillie2001 on January 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM

silvernana on January 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM

1000+

screwauger on January 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

When that old civil rights movement leader died last year, he was genuinely crying at her funeral.

YehuditTX on January 13, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Then the headline would be “Boener abandons duties in DC to take a spotlight in AZ!!!!”

He did what he saw as right and let the chips fall. That is the only thing you can do when the Press has a headline pre-written against you no matter what you do.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on January 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Exactly. Boehner was screwed no matter what he did.

If he had gone, the media would be howling about how he “broke his promise” to only fly commercial. The very same media that winked and nodded when Nancy Pelosi used military jets as her family’s personal taxi service and ran up $100K+ annual booze bills would indignantly be running analyses today laying out to the penny just exactly how much Boehner’s ride on Air Force One cost the taxpayers.

This only became a story because Obama “invited” Boehner to ride on Air Force One at the very last moment (per Politico) – the White House did this knowing that Boehner was already committed to the DC memorial event and would have to decline.

And naturally there was no malice at all intended when they casually let it slip to the media that Boehner had “refused” Obama’s generous offer. Riiiiiight.

Gator Country on January 13, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Presidential line of succession also has to be considered, and Joke Biden was in Afghanistan.
slickwillie2001 on January 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Bingo!
That should have ended any questions.

DSchoen on January 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Still an Obamateurism.
Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on January 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM

“His people, and especially his security detail, HAD to know”

True, the security detail would have arrived way before the POTUS did.
However I think the security detail would be concerned with the people going to each and every chair planting something there. Keep in mind the security detail is suppose to be paranoid but not political.
Once it was determined there was no threat and the area was secured the security detail would have moved on to other things.

Security detail are apolitical.

DSchoen on January 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM