Kay Bailey Hutchison: I’m retiring in 2012

posted at 6:40 pm on January 13, 2011 by Allahpundit

She claims she’s known since 2006 that this would be her last term. Could be, but (a) she’s changed her mind about the Senate before and (b) getting blown out by Rick Perry in the gubernatorial primary last year surely must have brought home to her what a 2012 primary would look like. Tea partiers want this seat, and one way or another, they’re probably going to get it. Why put herself through another brutal, expensive primary that’s likely to end in embarrassment?

I wonder what Olympia Snowe’s thinking right now.

Hutchison, first elected to the Senate in 1993, said the swearing-in of the new Congress, among other things, made her feel it was the right moment to announce her resignation.

She predicted that her departure from the political scene would set off a rampage of candidates looking to replace her.

“It’s just time for people to start making their plans,” Hutchison said. “Now it’s time for a new person.”

Likely Republican contenders to succeed her include Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert, state Sen. Florence Shapiro of Plano, Railroad Commissioners Elizabeth Ames Jones and Michael Williams, Weatherford car dealer Roger Williams, and Ted Cruz, a former Texas solicitor general and candidate for state attorney general.

Sound off, Texans: Who’s the favorite? Heard a lot of excitement for Williams on Twitter today after the news about KBH first broke. Via his campaign website, here he is on big government and health-care reform.

Update: A source familiar with Texas politics handicaps the race thusly:

The most amazing thing here is the level of talent that will be competing for this seat. There are several GOP candidates who are viable and would be good to great senators if elected.

Inside track – Lt Gov David Dewhurst. He’s a billionaire, so he can fund the race and defend the seat, and he holds what is actually the most powerful post in Texas government, so he has been collecting chits on this run for years.

Track 2 – AG Greg Abbott. The grassroots and Tea Parties adore Abbott. He has championed the anti-ObamaCare lawsuit, and is one of Texas’ absolute best stump speakers. He has also led a crackdown on deadbeat dads, which has earned him a lot of support in the middle.

Track 3 – Roger Williams. Former Texas Secretary of State, and he chaired the state Victory effort in 2008, raising $5 million in a couple of months. He’s wealthy, sharp, and may have the most experienced campaign talent on his side.

Track 4 – Michael Williams, Elizabeth Ames Jones, state Sen. Dan Patrick, former solicitor general Ted Cruz. Williams and Jones are both on the Railroad Commission, Williams has major grassroots support and is mindblowingly good at stump speeches, Patrick has a major Houston radio show and is very media savvy and well liked, Jones has money and some major backers of her own. Cruz is a bit of a dark horse (as is Patrick) but the grassroots love him and he’s also great on the stump. None of these candidates are bad candidates. All have held or currently hold major offices.

It will be a fascinating race to watch. There may be 20-25 candidates total on the GOP side, compared to 2 or 3 on the D side, with former Houston mayor Bill White leading that field. He was a terrible candidate for governor, no reason to think he’ll be any better running for Senate. The GOP keeps the seat, and chances are, gets a more conservative senator.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Don’t let the door hit ya…

DwnSouthJukin on January 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I realize I’m in the minority on this, but I truly believe she’s running for President in 2012. The establishment wants a female to take on Palin, and she’s been called to duty. Of course she doesn’t stand a chance, but she’s entering to pick off some of the female vote from Palin.

And yes, I think Meg Whitman is being courted to run, too.

yogi41 on January 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Thank you, Kay, for going quietly into that good night.

Can you do anything to encourage the Maine sisters and Lindsey Graham to follow your lead? I’d appreciate it.

FlameWarrior on January 13, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Well….Bye…..

portlandon on January 13, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Get ready for her to go totally RINO in all her votes for the next two years!

csdeven on January 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Oh yeah, at first glance I like the cut of Williams’ jib.

As long as he doesn’t get eaten by one of those Texas spiders, I’d say the man has a chance to go all the way.

Bishop on January 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Bi**ch should’ve bowed out last year letting Perry appoint Williams.

lonestar1 on January 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Adios.

davidk on January 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Don’t know anything about Williams, but those videos are a great first impression.

Jim-Rose on January 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Obvious choice has got to be Ted Nugent!

Vigilante on January 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I wonder what Olympia Snowe’s thinking right now.

She’s thinking the next election cycle is NOT going to be a cakewalk.

GarandFan on January 13, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I wonder what Olympia Snowe’s thinking right now.

She’s thinking that unlike the open seat in Delaware, the Tea Party will have to challenge her directly in blue-state Maine. She’s also thinking that Paul LePage will run interference on her behalf. And she’s going to be renominated and re-elected. Just like Scott Brown.

The Tea Party learned a harsh lesson in 2010: you’ve got to pick your battles.

KingGold on January 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I’m glad that Kay Barely Republican won’t seek re-election. My only concern is she’ll vote progressively more liberal as her term expires. She was going soft before the last election cycle, and only became more conservative while trying to run for the Governor’s office. Maybe she’ll just retire now and Governor Goodhair can appoint a moderately more conservative person to replace her. Governor Goodhair is not much more conservative than Kay Barely Republican.

I’d love it if John Culberson ran, but he’s about to do a lot of good in his House position. He might even be able to do more good in the House than in the Senate.

golfer1 on January 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM

And yes, I think Meg Whitman is being courted to run, too.

yogi41 on January 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Meg’s a non-starter. She obviously lost here in CA and did not run a good campaign either. Can’t see it happening.

MikeknaJ on January 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Obvious choice has got to be Ted Nugent!

Vigilante on January 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I second that.

AZCON on January 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Dude, I love that Michael Williams guy. I first heard his address to the TX State GOP Convention a few years ago. I think he is the railroad commish or something? (That is a big deal in Texas, actually) He is extraordinarily charismatic.

Ian on January 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

No primary required.

No primary term limits required.

Tony737 on January 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Obvious choice has got to be Ted Nugent!

Vigilante on January 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Uhh, no. Remember a woman named Christine O’Donnell?

Ian on January 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM

More dangerous rhetoric, you should be ashamed

Greed on January 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Uhh, no. Remember a woman named Christine O’Donnell?

Ian on January 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Dude, they’re joking about Nugent. I think.

KingGold on January 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Her showing against Perry was way more awful than she expected.

It’s time to retire.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Get ready for her to go totally RINO in all her votes for the next two years!

csdeven on January 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM

yup…..or worse.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Ian on January 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Ian, the word today is that they are talking about renaming the Railroad Commission to The Oil & Gas Commission. They haven’t had much to do with rail for eons, and it is still a very powerful position. I also found it interesting that we had a black Railroad Commissioner and it got very little press…which is a good thing. Content of character, etc…

golfer1 on January 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Hmmm… guess I can scratch her from my crosshairs map. :)

TheRightMan on January 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM

It’s being to become a definite possibility that my husband is going to get transferred to Brownfield-he’ll be gone for three weeks to see how things go. crosses fingers) and obviously starting to pay attention to TX politics.
Hmmm.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Thanks for your service, Senator, we have a lovely pasture ready and waiting for you.

American Elephant on January 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Preview is my friend.
*slaps side of head*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Yeesh. You’d think the senate’s most conservative member would get a little bit more respect here.

Apologetic California on January 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I’m not “establishment”, but I’d like a female Republican who isn’t Palin to run… even if they don’t win.

ninjapirate on January 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM

On the plus side, I guess she’ll have time for those late night dates with AP to Club RINO.

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM

ninjapirate on January 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Michele Bachmann?

Please say no to KBH.

MeatHeadinCA on January 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Bi**ch should’ve bowed out last year letting Perry appoint Williams.

Is that really necessary?

ninjapirate on January 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Bye!

And hello, Senator Williams.

Missy on January 13, 2011 at 7:06 PM

The TRINO, aka the Texas RINO, is an endangered species.

GnuBreed on January 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Liftime ACU rating of 89.77. Not good for someone from Texas, but better than I would guess. I know people who worked on her staff who did not care for her personally (that’s an understatment).

BuzzCrutcher on January 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM

As a Texan, our home will go with Willians. To have dear kay not run, well, she has gobs of not running. To my fellow Texans, look out, dear kay will be getting all she wants since she is not running. More one the d side?
L

letget on January 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM

The TRINO, aka the Texas RINO, is an endangered species.

GnuBreed on January 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM

TRINO huh.
In Illinois we have DIABNO(Democrat In All but Name Only).

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:10 PM

My favorite, by a light year, is Michael Williams. Was one of his earliest supporters on the Railroad Commission, which for those who don’t know regulates the Texas oil and gas industry.

He is as smart and conservative as it comes, with an incredible personal story. Having been around him in a number of business and social situations, when I think of integrity and character, I think of him.

In short, between him and Rubio, the Senate will be turned upside down. ✪

TXUS on January 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I think it’s a generational deal. She’s simply bowing out with grace.

Why would any of these people stay to defend a record in a different era, playing by different rules.

She’s simply going out with a bit of grace and dignity. Good for her.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Can we get a 2-fer & have her take Cornyn with her?

batterup on January 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Bi**ch should’ve bowed out last year letting Perry appoint Williams.

Is that really necessary?

ninjapirate on January 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

lonestar1 on January 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Kay Bailey Hutchison: I’m retiring in 2012

God’s sending you a message Allah, did you get it? Turns out there is a God…and he Loves Texas.

Dr Evil on January 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

TXUS on January 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

My husband is also a railroader.
He’s been working with the Texas crews from the Chicago office.
The thought is that he might better serve the Texas crews from the Texas office.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Uhh, no. Remember a woman named Christine O’Donnell?

Ian on January 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Yes and her cover version of Double Live Gonzo sucked mightily.

roy_batty on January 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM

And yes, I think Meg Whitman is being courted to run, too.

yogi41 on January 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM

/nelson muntz laugh

roy_batty on January 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I don’t think Kay’s afraid of a primary. I think she really did decide to quit in 2006. She’s been representing Texas for a long time, and I think she wanted to win the governor’s mansion, but I get the impression she was ready to leave the Senate one way or another.

She could’ve been governor if she hadn’t chosen to run such an abysmal campaign. Texas’s ability to weather the economic downturn made Perry extremely attractive, and she chose to run to his left in a year when Texas managed to blow out Democrats that have been in office for generations. I don’t know if she really would have been a poor governor but she just didn’t make the case.

She’s been a good Senator. Maybe not a great Senator but if the worst thing we can pin on her is her vote for TARP then I’d say she did pretty good by us. Kudos to her for bowing out with grace and dignity. I’ll miss her, but I’m pretty excited that her vacancy could be filled by Michael Williams.

Caiwyn on January 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Sorry, I’m missing your meaning here. Please dumb it down for this old cowboy. ✪

TXUS on January 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM

I hated seeing her pull the rug out from under Michael Williams. I can forgive many political positions – no two people agree 100% – but I thought it revealed a sever hole in her character. I have a lot more trouble with that

dts-01 on January 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

This Texan is holding his powder dry, but the sound of Senator Dan Patrick is exciting!

Bleed_thelizard on January 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I remember a discussion she had way back with Sean Hannity in his radio show. The fairness doctrine was coming around again at that time and he had her on to discuss the issue.
I did not remember her exact words now because it’s been quite some time. But I do remember that she was surprisingly somewhat vague about her position on the issue. She talked like she was against it but never really sounded like she was going to actually fight it.

JellyToast on January 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Senator Michael L. Williams (R-TX) 2012

tjexcite on January 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Cornyn…YOUR NEXT!

Bleed_thelizard on January 13, 2011 at 7:26 PM

We should ponder the fact that perhaps the politics has evolved out of a game into a cut throat mad max match.

I think we may begin to see more ordinary Americans dropping out of this political sewer.

I think of Ted C. More than qualified to run on ideas; educated, qualified, filled with ideas that could advance the Mainstream American Agenda…

Who in their right mind would subject themselves to a pelvic exam ala Palin? They are eliminating us out of fear.

I’m qualified to run. Do I want a pelvic exam? Prostate exam? No.

Our elders are speaking out. We should consult with them.

Key West Reader on January 13, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Shapiro is my senator. Despite that, I know little about her. Dewhurst has been a good Lt. Governor, but I never saw him at a Tea Party rally. Leppert has done a lot of good in Dallas as an executive, don’t know what kind of legislator he would make.

My choice is Williams. He has been to a Tea Party rally and was on track to be appointed to the post before KBH changed her mind about retiring regardless of the primary outcome.

Kafir on January 13, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I do think she’s unwilling to have a tough primary. I remember back when Kennedy actually got a tough primary. He had to “lower” himself to ask for Clinton’s help.

Alot of the senators don’t really want tough campaigns. They are draining.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I like Mike Williams. I would love to send a real conservative up there that happens to be black.

micmac on January 13, 2011 at 7:30 PM

TXUS on January 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM

My husband works customer service for a small switching railroad that has lines in West Texas. He eats, sleeps, and breathes trains and has experience on the ground so the crews respect him. His company is sending him to Brownfield on their dime-except food-for three weeks to see how it works.
If all goes well we’ll be leaving Chicago for Texas.

We REALLY want it to go well.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM

This will be a huge race. Hopefully they won’t resort to cannibalism during the primaries. There are several good choices and it would be a shame to damage the image and careers of these good people by mudslinging and ugly politics. That being said, I think that Dan Patrick is the best choice. He is very conservative and he doesn’t back down from his core principles.

DAT60A3 on January 13, 2011 at 7:35 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Honey, I hope you like wide-open spaces and big sky, because Brownfield is in the middle of nowhere. Lubbock is close, but it is still a small town. Abilene is also a nice town but still a long way from Brownfield. I hope your car is in good shape. Also, if your car doesn’t have A/C, leave it in Illinois.

Kafir on January 13, 2011 at 7:35 PM

We REALLY want it to go well.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Texas is beautiful this time of year; it also has the added bonus of no Obama. Just stay away from Austin for the next 140 days and all will be OK.

john1schn on January 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

For my money, I like Greg Abbott. Smart. Ruthless with liberals.

john1schn on January 13, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Kafir on January 13, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I like living as a free woman rather than an indentured servant to the state.
Freedom is in short supply in Illinois.
Texas has plenty to spare.
Everything else is secondary.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Thanks for the tips. I’m new to the state. I am clueless still on the politics.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 7:39 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Well, git yore butts on down. There’s plenty of room for good folks. ✪

TXUS on January 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM

TXUS on January 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM

If my husband manages to ‘play well with others’…we will be.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Bleed_thelizard on January 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I attended his kick-off campaign for the State Senate, and would continue to contribute should he decide to run…

golfer1 on January 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Kay and her husband adopted a baby when she was 60 years old.
Every Conservative Republican supported Perry for Governor because “coming home” wasn’t a reason to kick him out for her.
She’s not running for President.
Thanks for your service, enjoy motherhood.

Marcus on January 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM

My favorite KBH tidbit: Lefty Chuck Todd of MSNBC inadvertently caught on mike with faux conservative Peggy Noonan praising “thoughtful” Repubicans like KBH and disdaining Sarah Palin.

So long Kay we hardly knew ye (and we’re glad of it)!

wraithby on January 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM

She’s Texas’s most beloved politician.–Tokyo Rove, 1/13/2011

james23 on January 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM

At the moment I like Ted Cruz but we will have to see how it unfolds.

bluemarlin on January 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Buh bye. You wont be missed! Texans, looks like the field is cleared for a top prize takedown.

clement on January 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Cornyn…YOUR NEXT!

Bleed_thelizard on January 13, 2011 at 7:26 PM

This! I cannot wait to start working against him here in Texas!

bluemarlin on January 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I’m all in for Michael Williams.

WannabeAnglican on January 13, 2011 at 7:58 PM

A Grateful Nation Sighs With Relief: Kay Bailey Hutchison Won’t Seek Re-election In 2012

BTW, Williams is the real deal. He’s the Chairman of the Railroad Commission of Teas. Their mission:

The Railroad Commission has primary regulatory jurisdiction over oil and natural gas industry, pipeline transporters, natural gas & hazardous liquid pipeline industry, natural gas utilities, the LP-gas industry, and coal & uranium surface mining operations. The Commission is responsible for research and education to promote the use of LP-gas as an alternative fuel.

This is quite similar to the position Sarah Palin held as the Chairman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, though she was appointed and Texas elects the Chairman.

My money is one her to endorse him.

One of his goals, and he’s getting there, is actually sun-setting the job.

Michael Williams is the right man.

gary4205 on January 13, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Cornyn…YOUR NEXT!

Bleed_thelizard on January 13, 2011 at 7:26 PM

This! I cannot wait to start working against him here in Texas!

bluemarlin on January 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I’m in as well!!

gary4205 on January 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM

john1schn on January 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Yep, Austin – 90 square miles surrounded by reality!

golfer1 on January 13, 2011 at 8:01 PM

C Ya Rino Gal…..

……enjoy your retirement in RINOVILLE.

PappyD61 on January 13, 2011 at 8:01 PM

The most dangerous RINO is one who has nothing to lose. She’s going to make the Maine Twins looks Demintian in the next 2 years.

angryed on January 13, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Bleed_thelizard on January 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I’ll try this again. Bleed, Senator Dan Patrick is my State Senator (thank God, because he more than offsets my US Congresswoman, Queen Sheila). He’d make a great US Senator, but I’m not sure if he wants to leave Texas. He’s able to do his radio show from Austin via remote, and I’m not sure if he’d be able to keep that gig if he went to Washington. I’m not sure if he’s want to sell KSEV, or if he would even have to in order to run…

golfer1 on January 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Bye Kay! This Texas resident will not miss you at all!

MeAlice on January 13, 2011 at 8:10 PM

No more KBH? Thank you! I am weary of writing letters of advice and getting limp defenses in reply.

I lost all confidence in her during the DREAM Act deliberations in 2008.

The depth of the bench for candidates is refreshing. Let’s hope we get to chose instead of the Dallas Morning News.

Peri Winkle on January 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Back when she said she’d resign her seat to run for governor a lot of people were talking about Williams. I loved the stuff on his web site but since she didn’t do what she said she would do, I never really checked him out. I will now!

Hmmm.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Brownfield? I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the cost of living there, although you might prefer to live in the Hub City. It would be good to have you here…

Eren on January 13, 2011 at 8:21 PM

The difference between a RINO and a Democrat?

Just a little bit of class.

logis on January 13, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Sound off, Texans: Who’s the favorite?

Greg Abbott. But with such a great line-up, now would also be a good time for John Cornyn to ride off into the sunset. Pretty please.

redwhiteblue on January 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Eren on January 13, 2011 at 8:21 PM

The congressman is a republican!

It would be so nice to have ‘representatives’-I’m talking about local level on up- that weren’t all far left ‘D’s…unlike what I have now.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 8:52 PM

golfer1 on January 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Yes–also, he’s my rep, and I’d like to keep him. :o)

Can we get a 2-fer & have her take Cornyn with her?

batterup on January 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Bi**ch should’ve bowed out last year letting Perry appoint Williams.

Is that really necessary?

ninjapirate on January 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

lonestar1 on January 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Seconded. Most definitely.

I am all in for Senator Williams.

tkinTX on January 13, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Cornyn…YOUR NEXT!

Bleed_thelizard on January 13, 2011 at 7:26 PM

This! I cannot wait to start working against him here in Texas!

bluemarlin on January 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I’m in. I really think we need a FIRE Cornyn Website. Much like the FIRE Pelosi Website. It would catch on like a prairie fire. T-shirts, Mugs, bumper stickers: A Picture of Cornyn with a back slash through his face, and a “please don’t feed the RINO” sticker.

Dr Evil on January 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Bleed_thelizard on January 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Allah forgot to mention that Dan’s a TX state senator also. Don’t know if he’s well known around the state but he’s great and is no wuss. He started out as a sportscaster in the 70s at the same station KBH and Dan Rather got their starts. Culberson and Poe are also great congressmen. Nice problem to have – a buffet of real conservatives from which to choose.

TxAnn56 on January 13, 2011 at 9:16 PM

The congressman is a republican

Yes, Randy is quite reliable and responsive. You’ll like him. You might remember him from a little altercation with FORMER Congressman Stupak.

We just got rid of a long-time state RINO too. Unfortunately a RINO was reelected state speaker of the house (ALL the Dems voted for him) but some are saying he realizes his future is more conservative. I sure hope so.

Eren on January 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Good news. My vote goes to Michael Williams.

mobydutch on January 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM

And yes, I think Meg Whitman is being courted to run, too.

yogi41 on January 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Funny, it’s never been mentioned at our RINO / Establishment Beltway cocktail parties.

Vyce on January 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Eren on January 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM

I live in Triple J’s district now.
Grrrr.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Trust me; Dewhurst will have one problem with the Tea Partiers that isn’t even of his own making. He will be viewed by MANY as an extension of the ‘Austin machine’ that runs the legislative process. And that ‘Machine’ just told the Tea Partiers and other conservatives to go pound sand on the House Speaker race here. Dewhurst is definitely part of that machine; the rest that are in the executive, not so much. State Sen. Patrick is consider a good Tea Party friend; but the real race for us will be between Abbot and Michael Williams. Too many good candidates; can we oursource the Maine seats to Texas?

michaelo on January 13, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Kay’s not a RINO. Compared to the Maine twins, KBH is Jim DeMint. However, her vanity shot at the Governor’s mansion was political suicide (if we’re still allowed to say that.) And coming from Perry’s left was just plain stupid. My vote against her in the gubernatorial primary was my first vote against her. She is bowing out with class.

grgeil on January 13, 2011 at 9:59 PM

The race will be between Dewhurst and Williams. Dewhurst has the money and name recognition, but Williams is very popular with the base.

grgeil on January 13, 2011 at 10:01 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Well then, get away from there!

This is the most flat, plainest part of Texas and the diocese, well, it’s probably no worse than yours, but politically speaking we’re mostly conservatives out here.

Eren on January 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM

golfer1 on January 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM

You poor person, I know you never voted for the CongressWomaaaann (yes, I listen to Michael Berry). She-Jack (I also listen to Chris Baker) is an embarassment to all of us.

DAT60A3 on January 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I’ll give ‘em all a fair going over, but now I’m strongly leaning Williams. I wish Kay B.H. had stayed because she would’ve kept the primary slate lower and ultimately lost. At least she did take the honorable and least embarrassing way out.

cartooner on January 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM

OKedokee….

Here’s the plan, Palin’s husband is an oil guy.. He’s going to get an offer to relocate the family to Texas. Guess who’s running for Senate in TX in 2012…

drfredc on January 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Florence Shapiro -a RINO (by TX standards)and part of the TX GOP establishment. Although she is my Rep, I’d not support her for Senate.

Michael Williams? Now that would be somethin’

skeeter on January 13, 2011 at 11:35 PM