Chris Christie: Obama’s speech was excellent, Palin needs to be more unscripted

posted at 5:02 pm on January 13, 2011 by Allahpundit

First he endorses a “path to citizenship,” then he endorses Mike Castle, now this.

Dude, I think he might be the RINO messiah.

“I think people need to be judged by the way they conduct themselves in the public arena, in a way that is as minimally staged as possible,” he said. “That’s where you really get to know people.”

When it was noted that Ms. Palin has preferred communicating with the public in ways she can control, Mr. Christie said that “rightfully has been criticized.”…

“You have to look at it and see, what are they like when they’re tested, what are they like when they’re not scripted, what are they like when they’re pushed,” he said. “And I would contend to you that if Governor Palin never does any of those things, she’ll never be president, because people in America won’t countenance that. They just won’t.”

You’ll find his comments on The One’s speech and the obligatory defense of Palin’s nonviolent intentions below. I know Palinistas are going to tear him apart in the comments, but isn’t this … good, constructive advice? I’ve made the same point before about her venturing out from behind the Fox News curtain to sit down with a fair reporter (e.g., Jake Tapper) for a freewheeling policy exchange. To her credit, she actually has started venturing out, chatting late last year with a Times reporter for their big Sunday Magazine piece about her advisors and with Robin Roberts and Barbara Walters for profile segments on ABC. Those weren’t policy interviews, though, and as much as her supporters like to point to her speeches and Facebook posts over the past few months on ObamaCare and quantitative easing, Christie’s right about the public wanting to see prospective candidates “tested” and “pushed.” That’s especially important for someone like Palin who, unfairly or not, is routinely derided by big media as a dimwit when they’re not busy calling her a murderer. After the Katie Couric interview and all the SNL skits, the only way to crack the ice of hardened public perceptions about “qualifications” is to bust through in real time.

Just as I’m writing this, news is breaking that she’s agreed to an interview tonight about her “blood libel” comment — with Sean Hannity. Exit question: How much longer until the big guy here really does start to be thought of as a squish? We’re still looking for a keynoter at RINOcon, you know.

Update: Scratch that last part. The Hannity interview is apparently set for Monday, not tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Knucklehead on January 13, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I’se skeered…

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Apparently, he currently has a demanding job running a state government. He seems to be sticking with it though.

dedalus on January 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Last i heard he was on vacation has his state wa sburied by a blizzard. Gov chrisite appears not to be up to the job of head street cleaner.

but I think gov chrisite is happy in NJ, I hope he stays there.(if the roads are passable by the end of the winter)

unseen on January 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Whatever your issues are, …you won’t find any success trying to straighten them out on my watch. In fact, you’re going to run into a wall of epic fail, time after time.

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 8:37 PM

What do you mean, ‘your watch’?

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Are you going to answer this?

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 8:48 PM

ladyingray, tigerlily, AnninCA,
Ladies,
There is a trait in Liberals and rino males that makes them look down on some folks if they do not have an Ivy or old family pedigree,or old family money. Being from a Western Pioneer Family since the earliest days of the frontier to Indian Territory,we have always had STRONG women in the families. Many out lived their husbands and ran the ranches,raised the kids got some of the kids into business or collage or both. We think that there is just something wrong with the boys back east,it seems women scare the hsit outa them. Then it came to me when I read the drunken ,addicted kennedy kid talking about his mummy. These boys back east and on the left coast a P whipped.Wimpy, pampered,preppy wusses.

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Are you going to answer this?

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 8:48 PM

In the middle of the night when she’s drunk. Trust me, I know.

Knucklehead on January 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM

unseen on January 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Solar power baby! It will warm up enough someday soon.

dedalus on January 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM

We Need A Unified Strategy to End our Allowance of the Left’s Domination of the Right.

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM

That my dear is an excellent strategy. You are so right and on a subconcious level is what a lot of us have been doing by never viewing anything on CBS NBC ABC MSNBC PBS and CNN. You are absolutely right. The Hatefilled Left needs to be marginalized and ignored to a certain extent. I’m on board. So how do we organize? Our TEA Parties?

CCRWM on January 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM

In the middle of the night when she’s drunk. Trust me, I know.

Knucklehead on January 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on January 13, 2011 at 8:59 PM

In the middle of the night when she’s drunk. Trust me, I know.

Knucklehead on January 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Too bad I don’t have any alcohol.

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Of ALL the many, many, many TV stints, Obama has done since taking office, he has only been on Fox (w/Brett Bier) one time. Leno, Letterman, Jon Stewart, but never on Red Eye!

Oh, and correct me if I’m wrong, but the last press conference Obama held, he turned it over to Bill Clinton!! Seems ‘stagey’ to me…

TN Mom on January 13, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I agree. Wimps.

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Inciteful discourse!!!!

;)

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Hahaha. I LIVE to be inciteful.

Oh wait… I was supposed to be insightful.

Ooops!

powerpro on January 13, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Maybe if he quit and got a TLC reality show he would be more Presidential in your eyes.

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM

What are you doing up this late?!?..:)

Dire Straits on January 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM

So says “Nacho Libre”.

OkieDoc on January 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM

OK, I sped over your head, I guess?

I do think she’s like Teddy R., though.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 8:02 PM

A little full of yourself much?

silvernana on January 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Well, I started it. Which of you will dare post a similar thing?

ProudPalinFan on January 13, 2011 at 9:16 PM

When Sarah makes her move she will fry the leftest with that cold eyed mother look and tell the sonsabitches they are lying. My 4 foot 9 inch Grandmother held a whole load of drunken Cherokee Indians off on a Saturday night in Stroud, Indian Territory(Oklahoma) with my baby mother in one arm and a 12Ga Browing in the other. The Chief rode into town on Sunday and gave her an apology and his blessing for being a Strong,proud woman.Sarah has that same power, Yankee boys and lefties have no idea what they are up against. Teddy Roosevelt knew these ladies from his western trips,tough,focused, patriotic.Men you have no idea what the folks who do not agree with Sarah are up against.

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM

What are you doing up this late?!?..:)

Dire Straits on January 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Dude…it’s 9 pm.

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:22 PM

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 7:18 PM

My my she hit a nerve didn’t she…are you worried?

CCRWM on January 13, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Allah, when is Mitt Romney going to doa n interview with Kaite COuric? And unless that date is set, don’t tell me what Palin should or shouldn’t do.

promachus on January 13, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Oh it’s gonna be as loving and endearing as when the Today Show interviewed that homeless with the God-given talented voice.

ProudPalinFan on January 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Christie is being a fool when he praises and Obama and disses Palin. Man, wasn’t Obama reading from a teleprompter? That’s not scripted? But it’s only a problem when Palin does it?

promachus on January 13, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Different rules for Palin.

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM

So you agree, he shouldn’t have been on vacation during a state emergency. Cool.

Dongemaharu on January 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM

The leaders of her own party is hanging her out to dry as her life is threatened by the loony left and the vile and hateful criticism is forcing her to seek protection for herself and her family. They’re going for the throat, to destroy her once and for all.

If they are allowed to get by with that, we have no hope. John McCain, you gutless wonder, where are you? Why, the same place he was when members of his campaign staff were all over TV smearing her. None of them have a spine, and that especially includes the ball-less Mitt Romney.

silvernana on January 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Boy are you right. It is the same thing they did to her after the 2008 election, and she still came back to the lower 48 to campaign for REPUBLICAN candidates – including McCain. She has been dismally treated and the party does not deserve a loyal patriot such as herself.

KickandSwimMom on January 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM

And I will call him on it as well. Michael Steele has to repeat the same meme again (but be way stronger) and tell the rest of the group to support her in any way or shape they can.

My eye’s on Mac next. He owes her. Witch hunt? You betcha!

ProudPalinFan on January 13, 2011 at 9:32 PM

CCRWM on January 13, 2011 at 9:23 PM

’bout what? I just wanna know why she thinks she has a ‘watch’ at Hot Air.

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Yes, if only he were in NJ at the time, he could have borrowed Cheney’s weather machine, and directed the blizzard elsewhere.

xblade on January 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Dongemaharu on January 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM

I agree that Sarah Palin should have stuck her term out.

Chris Christie, believe it or not, can use a phone. And did.

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I agree that Sarah Palin should have stuck her term out.

Chris Christie, believe it or not, can use a phone. And did.

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:37 PM

So you think the Magic Kingdom is the best place to HQ during a state emergency. Hey man, I agree. You can get surprisingly good cell phone reception from the It’s A Small Word ride.

Dongemaharu on January 13, 2011 at 9:43 PM

So you think the Magic Kingdom is the best place to HQ during a state emergency

You do realize he couldn’t fly back to NJ during a snow storm, right?

Of course you do.

Dongemaharu on January 13, 2011 at 9:43 PM

As good as reception from your FOX news set in your garage. When you’re on a reality show playing governor.

Ooooooh :-)

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Sarah reminds me of my 4 foot 9 inch grandmother. She could wither anybody with “THE LOOK” and had command presence without saying much. She held off a whole load of drunken Cherokee braves on a Saturday night in Stroud Indian Territory(Oklahoma) with my baby mother in one arm and a 12 Ga Browning in her right hand. The braves thought it was funny to ride across her front porch.
Sunday morning The Chief rode into town in his best outfit apologized, gave her an offering, his blessing as a STRONG LADY.
The local men already knew that she was a leader, the chief knew it, the reporter from an Eastern Magazine had seen it and just did not understand what he had witnessed. Teddy Roosevelt knew these Ladies as he encounter women like this on his many trips West. Left Coast boys and Preppies will never understand powerful women in the sense that we do.
Sarah has that presence and will confound the John Cornans of the world,she will prevail if she decides to make this run.
I suspect some of the men posting here have not stood on 60000 wind swept acres and watched a Lady with her men bring in the heard,set the camp,tend to the needs of the help. finally write her log,then eat and pack it in for the day.
Guys you are looking at a Lady from the West,Sarah, that has what all the pioneer women have,GRIT,DETERMINATION,GUTS. that is what makes America Great, our women folk.

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM

kinda finished my thought on women, off to feed now,y’all take care and don’t make each other mad.

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM

You know….maybe he is fat.

mobydutch on January 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Dear Fat F_ck, we get it, you’re not a Palin fan. Oh, and by the way, good luck trying to gain support among the Republican base.

WordsMatter on January 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM

WordsMatter on January 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM

That’s GOVERNOR Fat F_ck to you.

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM

WordsMatter on January 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM
Rinos and Dems and the Media still do not get it.

mobydutch on January 13, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I agree that Sarah Palin should have stuck her term out…

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Dude, you can’t look at the last 5 days and say that with any real conviction can you?

OkieDoc on January 13, 2011 at 10:04 PM

WordsMatter on January 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM

LOL… I’ve wanted to call him that all day!

CCRWM on January 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Dongemaharu on January 13, 2011 at 9:43 PM

He was spending time with his family. A commitment he made to them. While there, he also managed the business of his state.

Ever heard of cell phones? Gotomeeting.com? He can delegate and issue orders from anywhere in the world and it’s clear his trust in his team to get the job done was well-founded.

powerpro on January 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Both he and Beck are sucking up.

lilium on January 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM

WordsMatter on January 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM
LOL… I’ve wanted to call him that all day!

CCRWM on January 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Actually, there are two other people I want to call names, but hey, I don’t want to get thrown off the Blog, ya know?

WordsMatter on January 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I find it very interesting to watch the supposed right try to finish what the left started.

conmo on January 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM

As far as Christie on a national level… Florida’s ex governor comes to mind for some reason?

conmo on January 13, 2011 at 10:15 PM

OkieDoc on January 13, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I can.

I can also separate the general Sarah Palin presidential-non-presidential thing from what happened the past five days, which has obviously been unconscionable. And I’ve defended her the past five days in that context from those unfair attacks as vigorously as any of her unwavering fans.

But that doesn’t immunize her from discussion of her chances at a Presidential run, does it?

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM

You know….maybe he is fat.

mobydutch on January 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM

You read my mind!

theaddora on January 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM

CCRWM on January 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Yes,CCRWM, I would say the Tea Parties are ready made to come to Sarah’s defense in this way. We do need a prominent spokesperson to lead the charge though and give the strategy visibility. I’m thinking Michelle Bachmann or possibly Alan West, but they too have been silent…I don’t want to lump them in with the Krauthammer types though….perhaps an email to each would be a good place to start…and to contact pro-Palin websites…

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I agree that Sarah Palin should have stuck her term out.

Chris Christie, believe it or not, can use a phone. And did.

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 9:37 PM

So if Gov christie runs in 2012 without finishing his term you will not vote for him?

unseen on January 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM

powerpro on January 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM

sure it was. that’s why NJ was snowed in and local governments had to clear state roads. As bush would say heck of a job christie.

unseen on January 13, 2011 at 10:30 PM

unseen on January 13, 2011 at 10:30 PM

The local governments around here always cleans state roads.

ladyingray on January 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM

unseen on January 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Damn straight.

But he’s not going to run for Pres. He’ll re-run for gov before that.

And he’s not going to quit.

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Col.John Wm. Reed on January 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM

You come from noble, courageous stock, Col John. Unfortunately, some of the women here like Ladyingray say that they come here to snark; hold textbook pro-abortion views and then bizarrely claim not to be pro-abortion; instigate insulting comments to posters not engaging them but speaking in defense of the unborn, and even, as one aptly named and cowardly “knucklehead” is attempting, smear posters with charges of alcoholism (thereby degrading any other posters or their loveds ones here who may have that struggle) claiming that she, a perfect stranger, should be “trusted” that her smear is correct. An alinsky/obama “blood alcohol libel” if you will.

No, Col. John, these women couldn’t cross the street without causing someone to suffer, let alone cross this great nation as a proud pioneer.

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM

As I have said and stand on,
her family wouldn’t have been
what it is today,
nor would she have the
transforming presence she has today
-had she stayed in office and had to deal with the AVR.
(Anthropomorphic Vitriolic Rhetoric).

OkieDoc on January 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM

For every anti Palin presidential pooh pooher I’ve
got two words for them BARACK OBAMA….enough said.

lilium on January 13, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Obama’s teleprompter won the last election……..Doh!

lilium on January 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Maybe this has been discussed already so someone help me out.

Palin can’t become president unless she subjects herself to hostile interviews.

Obama became president without ever subjecting himself to one hostile interview.

What am I missing here?

blink on January 13, 2011 at 10:47 PM

The rules are different for Sarah Palin.
Also did Hillary finish her term as Senator before running for President? The same goes for Obama?

Yet of course completing terms of office is not a requirement listed in the Constitution so…

Sharr on January 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Did Palin quit to run for higher office, or to go on TV and write books?

I don’t begrudge her anything with the latter, but let’s be honest. There’s a difference between leaving a post before a term is up to run for higher office and leaving a post for a private career before the term is up.

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Christies a rhino. Who cares what he says.

woodNfish on January 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM

I live in NJ and voted for the man but he is PISSING me off big time lately. Where has he been? Has he not seen any of her speeches, given without a teleprompter, on a variety of subjects from monetary policy to social issues? How about the Good Morning America interview? I will give him ONE possible out. Maybe he meant she should do more mainstream interviews…that she is being too CAUTIOUS. But even that doesn’t hold up. The thing is that the word “SCRIPTED” is just not true. And, as I have said before and will say again, he shouldn’t talk about someone being scripted when he is a ONE TRICK PONY. His I AM REALLY MAD AT THE TEACHERS UNION schtick is VERY OLD already and he has only been governor for a year.

Dan Pet on January 13, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Good LT, She quit because the false ethics charges were destroying her and Alaska. If she didn’t leave she would have been destroyed and she never could have run for higher office..so the bottom line is. In a way, she left to save her state as well any chance she had for running for national office in the future.

Dan Pet on January 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Did Palin quit to run for higher office, or to go on TV and write books?

I fail to see a difference, actually in point of fact I see those other things a vastly more noble then taking a break off half way through a term of office to go on the election circuit like Obama and Clinton did.

Yet the truth is she left to take a burden off her State and keep from going bankrupt, also much more noble then simply striving for another office.

Sharr on January 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM

You know, good ole Honorable Governor Christie demands respect from his audience. However, I noticed in a recent interview that he rolled his eyes when questioned about Palin. What an a$$.

mobydutch on January 13, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Did Palin quit to run for higher office, or to go on TV and write books?

Good Lt on January 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Or… door number 3.

Just because she is doing something that turns out to be profitable with the books and the show after she left the governorship, that doesn’t mean she left the governorship to do books and a show.

From all the evidence I’ve seen on this issue, she resigned to save her family, save her agenda for the state and give herself a platform from which to lob effective missiles against the left…as well as allow herself a chance to campaign with and for candidates in the lower 48.

The White House wanted her to be a shell of her former self after she finished her term…having had her office overwhelmed with dealing with crap lawsuits, having her agenda stifled and having her bankrupt. ie… they wanted her neutralized for 2012, which she would have been.

She chose a different path. That whole thing about not retreating…but fighting from another direction? That’s what she did. She didn’t play what they wanted her to play, ie… the role of the victim….and she turned it around and became more than she would have been because of it.

powerpro on January 13, 2011 at 11:46 PM

This from a guy who, when debating, gets totally in the faces of his opponents — he uses his physical stature coupled with proximity to show them as small people. It’s fun watching him, but it’s totally unPresidential. So I guess he knows…

unclesmrgol on January 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM

unclesmrgol on January 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM

What he said…

Gohawgs on January 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM

mobydutch on January 13, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Christie is a fool if he thinks that taking the liberal media’s lead on Palin will buy him anything with the liberals. The liberals will take that from him, nod approvingly, pass the video clip around, and still rip his guts out any chance they get.

slickwillie2001 on January 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM

As always, what he said and his tone doesn’t match the way the NTY or the RHINO Allahpundit states.

Allahpundit needs to reveal who he/she is to be considered valid.
He/she could be anyone, and it’s certain from the anonymity ,its not going to be someone that would normally be trusted for their opinion

LeeSeneca on January 14, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Allahpundit needs to reveal who he/she is to be considered valid.

LeeSeneca on January 14, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Yes. Let’s hold hearings on the matter of whether AP can be trusted or not because he’s a RINO or something.

(eyeroll)

Good Lt on January 14, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Christie is the governor of a blue state. We are not going to get Sam Brownback.

Usually when we think of RINOs, we think of squishes like Lincoln Chafee. Christie is one tough SOB.

At this point, we need to focus all of our energies on containing spending. We can fight the culture wars when we pull back from insolvency.

johnboy on January 14, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Chris Christie: Obama’s speech was excellent, Palin needs to be more unscripted

I love what you’re doing as Governor, Gov. Christie, but Obama’s “speech” consisted of him reading from a teleprompter with whatever his handlers were trying to figure was the right degree of emotion. Maybe the Governor meant she should be more scripted? She should read the teleprompter with the same “passion” as did The One?

olesparkie on January 14, 2011 at 8:29 AM

This was an odd remark, given that Obama’s speech was obviously scripted, too.

I didn’t get it.

AnninCA on January 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM

NEW JERSEY …………. NOT A SQUISH?

EEEKKKKKKKKKKKK!

WHEN WILL THE FATBOY ATTEMPT “NOT TO SOUND LIKE A SQUISH”?

TheAlamos on January 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM

This was an odd remark, given that Obama’s speech was obviously scripted, too.

I didn’t get it.

AnninCA on January 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Amen to that. 0bama could scarcely look at the camera, I mean, audience, he was so busy reading his notes.

A million jokes have been made about TOTUS and a hundred more made about Sarah jotting a few notes on her palm. 0bama is somehow presidential, but Sarah is not.

The double standard is staggering.

NTXLass on January 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I think the Governor forgot the /s after his comment…

maintenanceman on January 14, 2011 at 11:24 AM

This is just politics on Christie’s part. Palin undoubtedly has a low approval rating in Jersey. He’s trying to get the independents to sign on to his agenda, especially women. They’re all about the social issues – abortion, gun control, etc. Palin is kind of a proxy for social issues. Christie is saying: see you can support me, I don’t like Palin, either.

chris999 on January 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Good hell. I like Sarah Palin as much as the next guy and 100% respect what she’s accomplished with her life, personal and professional and political. I’m not sure I want her as president though. SO am I automatically a RINO? Hell no. Yet that’s the pejorative thrown around here with far too much ease.

Now the Palin-at-all-cost people are turning on our friggin’ allies like Christie. DO I agree with every Christie position? NO, I don’t. But I respect him for being totally open about who he and what he thinks. And he GETS IT on financial matters, unions, and government size. But he has some advice for Palin some don’t like and he’s now “fattie” and “squish” to you people? What a bunch of fair-weather ingrates. Grow up. You are all better than this. Leave that lame garbage to the left.

AttilaTheHun on January 15, 2011 at 6:35 AM

Governor, I am as big of fan of you as anyone who doesn’t live in NJ, but you know partner, there are times when saying less is more and you missed an opportunity to put this strategy into play when asked that question.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on January 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM

2nd thots on Christie.

Akzed on January 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM

2nd thots on Christie.

Akzed on January 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Outrageous, isn’t it?

Chris Christie’s Troubling Appointment

Jonathan S. Tobin – 01.18.2011 – 2:06 PM

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has earned legions of fans with his take-no-prisoners style over the last year as he defied the unions and other entrenched interests in his drive to return his state to fiscal sanity. But while Christie has sought to silence the buzz about a possible presidential run, it appears that there might be a better reason to abandon this fantasy than his understandable reluctance: the governor has some explaining to do about his cozying up to an Islamist group in the state both before and after his election.

Christie’s decision to appoint attorney Sohail Mohammed to a state Superior Court judgeship has raised questions not only about his nominee’s record but also about the governor’s own stand. Mohammed is mainly known for the fact that he was the defense attorney for Muslims who were arrested in the wake of 9/11 because of their ties to terror organizations. In one case, Mohammed fought the government’s effort to deport Mohammed Qatanani, the imam of the Islamic Center of Passaic County and an influential member of the extremist — though well-connected — American Muslim Union. Though the New York Times praised him in 2008 during his deportation trial as a “revered imam” and portrayed the case as an overreaction to 9/11, Qatanani, a Palestinian, is a supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood and admitted to being a member of Hamas when he was arrested by Israeli authorities in 1993 before coming to the United States. Though he claimed to be an advocate of interfaith dialogue (and was accepted as such by some liberal Jews), Qatanani was no moderate on the Middle East. His ties to Hamas were well known, and just the year before his deportation trial, Qatanani endorsed Israel’s absorption into an Islamic “Greater Syria.” Qatanani clearly lied about his record as an Islamist on documents that he used to enter the country. But he was nevertheless able to evade justice in the immigration courts because the judge accepted his undocumented claim that the Israelis tortured him.

Qatanani also benefited from having some highly placed friends in the justice system as a result of the political pull of the American Muslim Union, which boasts Sohail Mohammed as one of its board members. The AMU was able to get former New Jersey governor Jon Corzine, Democratic Congressman Bill Pascrell, and then U.S. attorney Chris Christie to intervene on Qatanani’s behalf during the trial. As far as Christie was concerned, this was not a matter of merely signing a letter or making a phone call. The day before the Immigration Court announced its decision, Christie actually spoke at Qatanani’s mosque (Qatanani’s predecessor had boasted of raising at the mosque $2 million for Hamas via the now banned Holy Land Foundation) at a Ramadan breakfast dinner, where he embraced the imam while praising him as “a man of great good will.”

Terror researcher Steve Emerson was quoted at the time as calling Christie’s involvement in the case “a disgrace and an act of pure political corruption,” especially since “I know for certain that Christie and the FBI had access to information about Qatanani’s background, involvement with and support of Hamas.”

Why would a man who was otherwise tasked as a U.S. attorney with defending America against such Islamists intervene on behalf of a Hamas supporter? The answer was obvious. Christie was already looking ahead to his race for governor against Corzine in 2009 and wanted the enthusiastic support of the state’s not-insignificant Muslim population. Christie’s record in the Qatanani case is a troubling chapter in his biography, and his willingness to further solidify his friendship with the American Muslim Union with his appointment of Sohail Mohammed to the court shows that his judgment on the issue of support for terrorism is highly questionable. If Christie’s name is mentioned again in the context of a presidential politics or even as a possible nominee for vice president, he is going to have to answer some tough questions about all this.

Elisa on January 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM