Palin aide: She’s getting death threats at unprecedented levels

posted at 8:40 pm on January 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

I almost wish that this wasn’t being reported as it’ll only inflame things further among fringe types, but after four days of screeching about Palin the murderer, who can blame her staff for wanting to show the world the ironic outcome? I trust and hope that she’ll be fine: She’s got the financial means to hire the best security that money can buy, and remember, as noted earlier, the truly dangerous nuts typically don’t make threats. The vast majority of these people, I’m sure, are liberals popping off at her in a rash moment and then cooling down later.

An aide close to Sarah Palin says death threats and security threats have increased to an unprecedented level since the shooting in Arizona, and the former Alaska governor’s team has been talking to security professionals.

Since the shooting in Tucson, Palin has taken much heat for her “crosshairs” map that targeted 20 congressional Democrats in the 2010 mid-term election, including that of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was the main target of Saturday’s attack.

Friends say Palin, a possible 2012 contender, was galled as suggestions of her role in the tragedy have swirled.

Given the amount of hate routinely directed at her, she’s appeared at times to take an oddly too-casual approach to personal security. Remember how there seemed to be no bodyguards around when that weird guy followed her around the airport with a handheld camera? No disrespect to Todd, but if he’s all that’s standing between her and a Jared Loughner, that’s not good enough. This week will, I assume, change that situation forever.

Now, let’s see tomorrow how the media and the left react to this story. There’ll be three responses, I assume. One: “Hey, maybe we should tone down the rhetoric on Palin before she gets shot.” If so much as one person offers that, consider it a victory. Two: “I condemn the threats, but we can’t be held responsible for the actions of crazies.” That’s actually the right answer, I think, or at least it would be if they’d been criticizing her for something she’d actually done. Having invented the Loughner connection out of thin air, though? Nope. Three: “She’s lying, either to turn down the heat on herself and earn sympathy or because she enjoys the media spotlight.” Mind you, there’s actual documentary evidence of some of the threats, but this will be the default explanation anyway thanks to the magical civility gene that makes liberals who are mentally ill somehow utterly immune to the worst rhetorical excesses. Demonize Palin all you want — have Paul Krugman and Frank Rich scream in the face of an untreated schizophrenic that she’s the prophesied antichrist — and it won’t motivate him a bit, because even deranged liberals are ultimately too smart and civilized to do anything wingnutty like take a shot at someone. That, as best as I understand it, is the going theory for why the left’s endless casual assertions about the basic malevolence of the right — racist, sexist, fascist, plutocratic, 50 times a day in assertions great and small — can be shrugged off as harmless to even the most diseased sympathetic mind. “Only fruitcakes” would act on stuff like that. Right, Jared?

To cleanse the palate, here’s our old friend Chris preparing for tonight’s post-Obama full-body tingle by insisting that we can’t “exonerate” Palin in the shootings because we don’t have all the facts yet about what motivated Loughner. She is, in other words, still a suspect in mass murder. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mission accomplished…Markos!!!

katy on January 12, 2011 at 8:42 PM

The article briefly mentions the death threats and then the rest of it excoriates Palin. The media are working as hard as possible to make sure Palin gets assassinated.

Django on January 12, 2011 at 8:43 PM

The left simply won’t be satisfied until Palin is dead.

WordsMatter on January 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I love Sarah and her family very much. I pray God will protect them all. As with Rush, Glenn, and so many others, security is a must from those who are far beyond sane it seems. Bottom up, top down, middle inside out!
L

letget on January 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM

How dare she not kill her unborn child?!

John the Libertarian on January 12, 2011 at 8:46 PM

you were saying…./

ted c on January 12, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Fort Alaska

ted c on January 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM

By her own logic, she’s safe: “Acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own. They begin and end with the criminals who commit them.”

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

How many “uhs” were in some of those death threats?

SouthernGent on January 12, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I worry about her children…

d1carter on January 12, 2011 at 8:49 PM

If GOv Palin or her family is harmed I doubt that liberals will be safe. The backlash from conservative circles will be swift. Sadly I could see it sparking a large conflict within America. I don’t think the left nor the gop establishment understands.

I am now praying for my country that the haters will find truth to fight their hate.

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

They need to track down every single person who is making threats against Sarah Palin and prosecute them. And Chris Matthews is a jackass for blaming Sarah Palin for the shooting in Arizona.

SoulGlo on January 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

The left simply won’t be satisfied until Palin is dead.

WordsMatter on January 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I remember Ed Shultz shrieking on his show like a red faced idiotic turd:
“The Right won’t stop until President Obama is shot! They want him shot! I think that I really do!”

Please don’t sink to that.

Marcus on January 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

exonerate [ɪgˈzɒnəˌreɪt]
vb (tr)
1. (Law) to clear or absolve from blame or a criminal charge
2. to relieve from an obligation or task; exempt

So we are clear.

According the Matthews, Sarah Palin is not clear from blame for the murders in Tucson until “all the facts” are in.

Until then she is not clear from blame for the murders in Tuscon.

Sheer madness

Opposite Day on January 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Don’t you wish . . .

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Who was blaming Gifford for having blood on her hands? The problem with your logic is that some on the Left wrongfully believe that Palin is a criminal.

MrX on January 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Now why would a bunch of right-wing, talk radio listening, nutjobs threaten her? Oh wait…

ncborn on January 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

do you have a skull shrine in your tent outside?

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

The correct word is predictable, not ironic.

Luka on January 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Effwit. Ya know, I hold Chris Matthews’ insane nightly rhetoric responsible for the attack and until proven otherwise, he’s an accessory to murder.

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

I have gotten to the point where I really can’t have liberals as friends anymore. Their mindset is just too willfully ignorant and childish for me. If this woman gets hurt all hell is going to break loose in this country.

ReneePA on January 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

You are one of the haters I’m praying for. Sadly god doesn’t answer all prayers..

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Allahpundit’s very improper use of the word ironic aside, I wonder what the democrats, and Obama’s as by his failure to condemn it he is supporting it, defense will be if the extremely inflammatory rhetoric that they are now engaging in incites violence against those individuals that they have targeted. They certainly can’t argue they didn’t anticipate it. They’re on record as saying that it’s a predictable consequence.

Luka on January 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM

She’s got the financial means to hire the best security that money can buy

Actually, AP, no she doesn’t. Security costs serious, serious money.

Robert_Paulson on January 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Unless one of the whackjobs who is making death threats actually intends to carry it out. Did you actually READ what AP wrote, you Jackwagon?

Tennman on January 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Facebook has a group dedicated to the common principle that “I Hate It When I Wake Up & Sarah Palin Us Still Alive” (h/t Rush Limbaugh and Jim Hoft).

Terrie on January 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM

I’m sure death threats were a daily occurrence since 2008, they probably should have just kept the information between them and law enforcement. I’ve never seen anyone blamed for breathing before she came onto the scene.

Cindy Munford on January 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM

they would blame palin if she was assasinated…she brought this on herself yada, yada, yada

cmsinaz on January 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Moms-to-be, this is what a lack of pre-natal care will get you.

CurtZHP on January 12, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I hate it when I wake up and children are still making important decisions for the entire nation but I just have to suck it up.

ReneePA on January 12, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Will the MSM report this?

nazo311 on January 12, 2011 at 8:57 PM

What? Obamacrats are lying, shameless, hypocritical scum?

You betcha!

Now tone it down, Democrats, before somebody gets hurt.

Your boy Loughner already killed six people. That’s enough.

Good Lt on January 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM

The left simply won’t be satisfied until Palin is dead.
WordsMatter on January 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Even that wouldn’t satisfy them. They would enjoy an Iranian stoning.

lonestar1 on January 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Chris Matthews is a worthless POS.

WisCon on January 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

If a lone gunman can be prompted to murder by a campaign map posted on Palin’s website then certainly other gunman can be prompted to equal violence by anything the left is saying about Palin.

Either the libs will have to agree or they have been lying about Loughlin’s impetus in the first place.

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Grow Fins -

How was the make-believe funeral for your make-believe mother-in-law?

bw222 on January 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Can you spell ‘epistemic closure’?

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Moms-to-be, this is what a lack of pre-natal drinking while pregnant care will get you.

CurtZHP on January 12, 2011 at 8:57 PM

FIFY

gryphon202 on January 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM

How was the make-believe funeral for your make-believe mother-in-law?

She’s being cremated tomorrow and we’re having a memorial service in Chicago in March. Thanks for asking.

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM

The left simply won’t be satisfied until Palin is dead.
WordsMatter on January 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Liberals/Obama supporters wishing death on Sarah Palin:

BECAUSE OF TEH CIVILITY!@!!!11!!

Good Lt on January 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Can you spell ‘epistemic closure’?

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Yeah. I can.

G

R

O

W

F

I

N

S

gryphon202 on January 12, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I would hire Todd to guard my body. Ahem.

Terrie on January 12, 2011 at 9:03 PM

God help the Left and God help America if anything happens to Sarah Palin or her family.

IronDioPriest on January 12, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Terrie on January 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM

At least they pulled down the “Kill Sarah P” Facebook page.

Screenshots and link to google cache here:

CPL 310 on January 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Can you spell ‘epistemic closure’?

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Best reign your psychos in, champ.

Haven’t psycho liberals killed enough people this week? You want six more to die before you look in the mirror?

Good Lt on January 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Can you grow some balls?

ReneePA on January 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM

You feeling ok, AP? You wrote an article about Palin and it appears you’re on her side.

Maybe you should go lie down for a while. You might have come down with a case of Palin-fever.

Chris of Rights on January 12, 2011 at 9:06 PM

I remember Ed Shultz shrieking on his show like a red faced idiotic turd:

Please don’t sink to that.

Marcus on January 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Apparently, you’re not keeping up with current events.

Django on January 12, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Blowback.

That’ll be the meme.

She got 6 people killed, so she reaped what she sowed.

The MSM knows that your political opponents need to be destroyed.

By any means necessary.

profitsbeard on January 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Good Lt on January 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Whoa. Quite the comments there, made the hair on my neck rise and I’m not the target of their rage.

Waddya think, Fins, a few Palin-haters out there who might crack and try to kill her or is that impossible?

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

this is gonna be a very bad year in america.

moonbatkiller on January 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Translated: “I’m having a bad night”

Del Dolemonte on January 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM

A week ago we all thought our congressweasels were safe. Anything’s possible, if you ask me.

gryphon202 on January 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Man – you’re very POOR at reading comp aren’t you?

Since when does assignment of responsibility have anything to do with being safe? Answer that please – there’s absolutely no connection.

You’re melting down with your libbie buddies here. You guys are really having a bad week aren’t you?

Damn – and the week’s only half over.

HondaV65 on January 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Question the timing.

SnarkVader on January 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Do they think rhetoric is heated now? Someone harms her and rhetoric will probably be the least of their concerns.

JammieWearingFool on January 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

moonbatkiller on January 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Wait ’till next year…

d1carter on January 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Time for all of us who haven’t been out there in the trenches, to commit to getting out there for the 2012 primaries and elections.

huckleberryfriend on January 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Total madness. I don’t know what other event that would more fully reveal the Leftist-manufactured madness of our time. It’s like an object lesson.

We can’t evade it, bemoan it, or neutrally chronicle it anymore. We can’t attempt to rise nobly above it. No more. We have to fight it. Hit it in the teeth. It’s the only way. Otherwise, it’s only getting worse.

rrpjr on January 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

God, 22 more months of this. November 2012 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far away.

Chris of Rights on January 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

In an odd way the Tucson shooting had nothing to do with Sarah but now it has everything to do with her. Hollywood scum think her children are fair game. I agree with the sentiment that I hope nothing happens to her or her family members. The fallout of this is even more insane than the shooter because it’s supposedly sane people blaming people that had nothing to do with it.

deewhybee on January 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

rrpjr on January 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Of course, many will call that #violentrhetoric.

sigh.

Chris of Rights on January 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

God, 22 more months of this. November 2012 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far away.
Chris of Rights on January 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM

And then what, everything goes back to normal? PBHO wins in 2012 and it’s four more years of being kicked in the face by the entire globe.

Or PBHO loses and the last traces of leftist reason waft away on the breeze and it’s game on. Look how bad it is now, and the Perfect President is still in office.

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM

And Matthews is still a moron!

GFW on January 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

We have to solve this problem.

Elect Palin President and we can put the Secret Service Protective Detail on her full time.

I have contacts inside the SS which tell me they’d thank voters for the opportunity.

Let’s do this! :P

HondaV65 on January 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I’m sure the left would like to see Palin gone. There is no one else to replace her. Others like Bachman and West are good but no one else has led our side like she has. She is our one true leader, if anything happens to her it would be an unimaginable loss for us. I shudder to think what would happen. Unfortunately it might be the one thing that could bring about the uprising(bottom up) that the 0 and Soros are looking for as an excuse to bring down the repression they want to instill(top down). Then all the commies in the government will feel free to come out of the closet(inside out). I pray that G-d will protect her and help save our country.

shmendrick on January 12, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I point the finger of blame at the inflammatory rhetoric and hate speech spewing from the mouth of Sheriff Dipstick.

Seriously, pray for Sarah. Pray for her protection as well as the protection of others the left has been inciting violent threats against. The left is insidious. How many times can you say how sickening these people are.

JellyToast on January 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Yeah well if some nut bag does take a shot at Palin I bet the left and their enablers in the media will be falling all over themselves to walk back their vicious slander of her over the last few days. And dickheads like that Kos wanker will ether flush their disgusting rants about Palin down the memory hole and try to act innocent or they will start screeching about how she got what she deserved.

Hellrider on January 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I pray for Sarah every day. I pray for her health and well being, her safety and security and for her success and salvation. I believe in prayer. The Hatefilled Left understands the power that is Palin. They understand that for two and a half years they have tried to destroy her and it hasn’t worked. She has a huge following because she resonates with We the People. She is one of us. She has our values, our morals and our convictions socially and fiscally. They may be growing desperate enough to be thinking they might have to resort to the strategy of inciting some crazy leftist person to go after her.

If they can get that done by design or on purpose and the Right finally riots then we will have played right into their hands and give Obama the crisis he needs to stop elections and try to impose martial law. We need to be very careful now in these dangerous times.

If I sound over the top or loony ask yourself these questions: Have you ever seen the Left and the MSM comport itself the way it has in the last 3 years? Did you ever think that in the face of ovewhelming opposition the Democrats would pass Obamamcare? In the face of such defeat in November they tried to pass an Omnibus one trillion dollars stimulus in light of how unpopular the last one was? Have you ever seen a clearer difference between good and evil in this country?

All of us who believe should be praying for Sarah and her family everyday!

CCRWM on January 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

The left simply won’t be satisfied until Palin is dead.

WordsMatter on January 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM

The left has a wonderful vision of peace and togetherness, love, joy, and happiness. And if you have some other vision, they don’t want you around. Because they’re right and you’re wrong.

Paul-Cincy on January 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

The media and the left … from blood libel to blood lust. Palin’s blood.
I’ve thought from the very beginning how their actions and words will in all probability, spur one of their lunatics to attack Palin. I don’t doubt for a second that deep down in their black hearts they hope someone will kill her.

darwin on January 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Also, CBS news ended their broadcast of this with “Since the shooting Sarah has been getting increased death threats…”
No, not since the shooting.. it’s been since leftists have been inciting violence against her! There is a difference in that distinction!

JellyToast on January 12, 2011 at 9:31 PM

I seem to recall a somewhat similar story from about 2000 years ago. A self-righteous, wicked mob ran rushed to nail an innocent man to a cross, just because they didn’t like being called out on their hypocrisy, breaking every law on the books to do so.

These descendants of the wicked Jewish religious leaders- the leftist media and politicians- will also have their beloved temple of worship bulldozed. AP, I dare you to moderate this plainly honest message.

leftnomore on January 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM

They’ve gone too far this time around. The continued anti-Palin rhetoric on this matter will only help her because the criticisms are so obviously unfair to all but the hate filled leftwingers. I regret that she and her family will have to hire full time bodyguards though. The Palin family will take care of themselves in the face of death threats spurred on by her political opponents, while in DC, Congress critters propose bullet proof windows at tax payers expense on top of their private police force and criminalizing gun possession within 5 miles of pols no one knows or would recognize.

JimP on January 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Paul-Cincy on January 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Exactly! There will be peace once they make sure nothing but pieces are left of their opposition.

JellyToast on January 12, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Past time to kick.

truth2power on January 12, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Sadly god doesn’t answer all prayers..

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM

God does. Sometimes the answer is “no”.

rihar on January 12, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I blame the liberal actors who attack her personally instead of offering to debate her on the issues. I hold them accountable by no longer going to movies.

I pray for you, Sarah!

TN Mom on January 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM

I can see why the left likes the radical muslims so much…they have a lot in common….to the progressives…all must bow down to the dark gods of liberalism…else they need to be ‘re-educated’…ie silenced in one way or the other.

right4life on January 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

CCRWM on January 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I’m right there with you, friend.

Today, we saw that our prayers are being listened to when we saw the video.

God speaks to us through the people around us. He gives them voice, he gives them the words to make mountains move.

As far as the death threats are concerned, are Sarah, Todd and the rest of their entourage armed to the freakin’ teeth?

You betcha.

If an assassin makes his way toward her, he best make the first shot count because the only place you’ll see more gun pop out of nowhere is when the Secret Service decides its time to take action.

Bring it. We’re not afraid.

turfmann on January 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Ya’ know… given how much they worship Che and Mao, maybe all this “Palin is responsible for mass murder” crap is actually some kind of twisted compliment from the left.

bitsy on January 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Liberal thought on justice:

Conservatives are guilty until proven innocent. But they are conservatives, so they are wrong, so they can’t be innocent.

Liberals are innocent. Period.

Does that clear it up for you?

Timothy S. Carlson on January 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Go and check out the discussion boards on Palin’s Facebook page…the haters are everywhere. It’s some really scary stuff. The lectures are in major attack mode. If you make abpositive Palin they start attacking you in droves…..very very creepy.

Whippet on January 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Perhaps we should all re-watch the movie Ghandi. In her own way she is as indispensible as he was in their culture. Whether or not they would acknowledge it, Sarah is the only one in either party with any real ethical cred. She has very high credibility. 0 has very little to none.

shmendrick on January 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Patiently we wait. The left keeps blaming the right for everything evil under the sun, and patiently we wait. They keep pointing the finger at Sarah Palin for a shooting in which she did not play a role. Still, patiently we wait.

My patience is running out.

madmonkphotog on January 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Sorry about the iPad typing…not used to it yet!

Whippet on January 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Sarah is one of the remaining Conservatives to confront the Dems head on these days. Its a shame…but she’s got more balls than anyone else lately.

Whippet on January 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Bring it. We’re not afraid.

turfmann on January 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I know I’m not…my husband isn’t either…

We’re willing to fight because we’re not willing to live in a world that is purely evil.

CCRWM on January 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM

She needs more Security……..prayer and security!

PappyD61 on January 12, 2011 at 9:58 PM

This is how the left operates. It’s their way or they kill you.

Please don’t call them liberal.

darwin on January 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

If words have consequences why don’t liberals have to account for theirs?

Speakup on January 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Imagine if this woman’s life actually mattered to the piles of **** we call “leaders”…

Where have all the GOP leaders been on this?

Where are the pundits? (Oh, right, folks Krauthammer are too busy trashing her themself to notice. not that that insufferable POS cares about anybody outside his Beltway cloister anyway…)

Meh…they count on us “little people” to stick with them, because they’re the smartest people they know.

Question: What if there was a political party and nobody showed up?

GOP’s gone POS so very quickly it’s stunning.

SuperCool on January 12, 2011 at 10:02 PM

If words have consequences why don’t liberals have to account for theirs?

Speakup on January 12, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Because they control the media, the courts, our schools and pretty much everything else.

So hey, pretty soon it won’t just be words they’re not held to account for.

darwin on January 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Guilty until proven innocent , what happened to the deep respect for law and procedure that the left will give to any terrorist?

This is sick beyond anything.

the_nile on January 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Ever notice the progressive bomb throwers are able to walk unguarded on the streets as they call conservatives dangerous while its the conservatives that need to hire security to protect them from death threats?

mizflame98 on January 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM

How dare she not kill her unborn child?!

John the Libertarian on January 12, 2011 at 8:46 PM

You already know, I think, that this is what ALL this is about.

If Sarah Palin were everything she is now, except in the “pro-choice” column, how do you think she would have been treated by the media since August 29, 2008?

We all know the answer to that one.

inviolet on January 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM

mizflame98 on January 12, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Excellent point.

I think that distinction needs to be made more often.

darwin on January 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM