Open thread: Obama’s speech in Arizona

posted at 7:43 pm on January 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

The memorial service should be underway at 8 p.m. ET, naturally airing live on all the cable news nets. I hope he does well; the victims deserve a thoughtful tribute. But I can’t say I’m cheered by the overt “branding,” replete with … souvenir t-shirts? It may not be the White House that’s behind it, but then, we no longer need facts to blame politicians for stuff they didn’t do.

Bryan Preston has the program for the service and wonders why Napolitano and Holder are speaking. She’s a former governor of Arizona and he’s technically the lead prosecutor, so I can understand if they’re there simply to express condolences. If they’re there because O decided there should be a “rhetoric” component to the evening and he wanted to stay above the fray by farming it out to underlings, well, let’s just say it’ll be a long night at the ol’ blog homestead later. (Bryan makes a good point about Napolitano, as head of DHS, possibly trying to frame this as an act of terrorism. Was Hinckley a terrorist too?) I’ve noted this before but Philip Klein puts it better than I did: Any possibility of a sincere debate on “rhetoric” became impossible when the left turned this from a national tragedy into a voodoo ritual. And if any of tonight’s speakers bring it up, inevitably that’s precisely how it’ll be seen.

I’ll leave you with this clip of Boehner and Pelosi honoring the victims with today’s House resolution. Giffords’s prognosis continues to be good, albeit obviously uncertain.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 16 17 18

I can see that Obama is still living rent free in the heads of the Palinbots…. too bad they can’t stop long enough to listen to the message…

Bradky on January 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Yes, I’m quite sure the libs will heed Obama’s advice as well.

alwaysfiredup on January 12, 2011 at 11:54 PM

All one has to do is watch the families during the outbursts of inappropriate cat calls and applause. They sat motionless.
===============

Again, this is one of those cases where there was (IMO) no reason to criticize the President for his comments.

The criticism should be for the crowd of cheerleaders. And no I do not buy Grif’s claim that the families wanted an “upbeat showing”. There was just too much in the body language that basically says that Grif’s claim was full of bullsh–.

DaSaintFan on January 12, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Bradky on January 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Pound sand leftist.

Obama lives rent free cause the fing government has the monopoly of force to confiscate the fruits of my labor.

NOW PISS THE F OFF LEFTIST.

Inanemergencydial on January 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM

About the opening eyes thing – I think I have figured it out.

They mean, the first time she has opened her eyes SINCE being put into the induced coma.

Alana on January 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM

NOW PISS THE F OFF LEFTIST.

Inanemergencydial on January 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Mighty bitter tears there girlfriend…

Bradky on January 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Mighty bitter tears there girlfriend…

Bradky on January 13, 2011 at 12:01 AM

They fall on infertile ground bish

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Alana on January 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Nah…more of a Kim Il-sung sort of thing…she “opened her eyes” to the greatness that is Obama and was cheerful and imbued with the true spirit of gratitude when she recognized the Great Leader standing before her.

coldwarrior on January 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Just imagine being in a coma, opening your eyes, and seeing Obama and Pelosi Galore.

I must have died and gone to hell…

Dhuka on January 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM

I have never felt less like a part of this country than right now.

His lectures about civility after this week. He hates all of us. He is a monster. And he is the leader of my beloved country. And he hates me. He allows people to call me a murderer.

Please don’t re-elect this monster or his irreverent party back power. Have they ever attended a church in their lives? Don’t they understand how to honor the dead. How to feel anything? Don’t they feel? Is it all politics to them? Don’t they have normal sorrow for the dead? How can they cheer and applaud like that? Can’t they be reverent?

petunia on January 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Answer to all of the above: Abortion. Mass murder to the tune of 40 million dead and counting. Where is the memorial for them, obama? Let’s all remember that as an Illinois state senator, Herr obama single handedly made sure that babies who survived the abortion procedure would be deprived all medical assistance and be left to die, gasping alone on dirty utility room shelves.

obama a monster because he allowed Palin and half of America to be blood libeled? Shocking? Please. Just ask the unborn. You ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Wait for his death panels to treat us to what this nation has allowed the unborn to suffer since 1973.

We are witnessing a snapshot of a nation rotted from within, the stinking presidential fruit of the abortion tree. That tree must come up, root and branch, or the nation will continue to be poisoned from the heart.

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Whew… good to see the request for more civil dialogue lasted for maybe 30 seconds.

Bradky on January 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

I have never seen a crime so politicized as this one, and now we have speakers at this event making it all about them. Tragic on so many levels.

Then you would have Sarah Palin’s Facebook address.

YYZ on January 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Bradky on January 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Agreed, sad the leftists couldn’t wait that long after the murders in Tuscon Saturday… before blaming the right.

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM

“I can see Nutley New Jersey from my home.”

“Also the Tick-Tock Diner”

Del Dolemonte on January 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Can’t see the Tick Tock – but Jersey in the distance….

AprilOrit on January 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Then you would have hate Sarah Palin’s Facebook address.

YYZ on January 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM

I have never felt less like a part of this country than right now.

petunia on January 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

You need to calm down & take a breath….

AprilOrit on January 13, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Bradky on January 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM

The fact that you have to use the term “Palinbots” proves that you’re scared getalifeless of her.

Can you give us some credible, thoughtful reasons why a failed Republican Vice Presidential candidate from a “small state” has you and your comrades obsessed like a teenage schoolgirl 3 years after she lost?

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2011 at 12:20 AM

The criticism should be for the crowd of cheerleaders

Well, I do criticize him for pausing & waiting for the applause — and he did do that. And I do criticize him for allowing T-Shirts to be handed out to the first 10,000 with “United We Thrive.” And I do blame him for having an effing “theme” for a memorial in the first place. And finally, I criticize him turning a memorial into a campaign pit stop.
Of course the words he said were fine — but that is his M.O. — pretend to take the high road while his minions do his dirty work.

Dark Star on January 13, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I was listening on the radio in the truck and I swear at first I thought it was a pep rally from the local High School Basket Ball game.
In an ‘Ears Only’ format, (thinking it was supposed to be a memorial) I got ‘a say, it was surreal and disgusting all at the same time. I got home in time to SEE the end, and those families looked genuinely stunned by the whole thing.

Pole-Cat on January 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM

hose families looked genuinely stunned by the whole thing.

Pole-Cat on January 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM

oralapril assured us that the families planeed the entire campaign fundraiser event memorial.

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Not sure if you saw the link to this article in HotAir’s headlines by Nick Gillespie:

Palin’s not to blame, but she’s not presidential either

AprilOrit on January 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM

hose families looked genuinely stunned by the whole thing.

Pole-Cat on January 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM

What’s with the filthy name calling?

I merely repeated what Grif Jenkins said to Greta on her show.

I didn’t assure anything – I repeated what he reported.

You are not be fair.

AprilOrit on January 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Cry?

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM

whoops – meant to say:

You are not being fair….

AprilOrit on January 13, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Does anyone else think that all the applause and laughing during this memorial was unseemly? Also, did they control the tickets and give them only to democrap supporters of Obama?
And the opening of the memorial with music from 2001 a Space Odyssey was downright weird. And then that Mexican medicine man who seemed to take less pride in being ’5th Generation’ American, than LaRaza.. And where was ‘bipartisanship’ on the stage of the memorial. Looks like only democrats were onstage.

eaglewingz08 on January 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM

“I can see Nutley New Jersey from my home.”

“Also the Tick-Tock Diner”

Del Dolemonte on January 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Can’t see the Tick Tock – but Jersey in the distance….

AprilOrit on January 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM

When someone tells you viewing something one mile away is “in the distance”, that’s all I need to know. BTW, my family is from Nutley, and I lived in Lower Manhattan years before your parents were even born. Why do you think I got the hell out of there and moved to New Hampshire?

Now I live and work in a place that people pay to come to on vacation. They spend obnoxious amounts of money to spend a week in what I have to live in for 365 days a year in a state with no income tax and no sales tax.

(Homer Simpson Shudder)

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Can’t figure why you would stoop to respond to someone who registered to comment after you…as you said.

Damn if all this insincere commenting doesn’t move the ball forward!

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 12:30 AM

(Homer Simpson Shudder)

Del Dolemonte on January 13, 2011 at 12:30 AM

The Tic Toc Diner is on the corner of 8th Ave & 34th Street – can not see it.

Congrads, my Dad was born in 1923 and my mother in 1928.

AprilOrit on January 13, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Democrat sooper dooper…

wail, moan, bish, own it.

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 12:37 AM

we have never seen a crime so politicized as this one, and now we have speakers at this event making it all about them. Tragic on so many levels

Then you would hate Sarah Palin’s Facebook address.

YYZ on January 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM

You mean the one where she didn’t mention herself? Where she merely said people shouldn’t libel others? Fab.

alwaysfiredup on January 13, 2011 at 12:38 AM

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Bradky on January 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Since I never asked for any, please allow me to say FU.

They are right. It took Obama four days to respond and four days of being called murderers and being marginalized. He could have said at the beginning of day two STOP. Do you have any doubt that he wouldn’t have for any group EXCEPT conservatives.

Remember this. Remember what your president thinks of you. T-shirts for sale and a photo op on a dead 9-year-old and the elderly.

So f*ck your calls for civility. I never asked for any and I doubt many here have. They know the cost of easing up.

kim roy on January 13, 2011 at 12:40 AM

“Her first words when Congresswoman Giffords awoke were ‘Please tell me the GOP hasn’t rescinded nationalized health care’…I was there, I heard her say it.”

-PBHO

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Thread Winner!!

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Palin’s not to blame, but she’s not presidential either

AprilOrit on January 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I can see how people would miss it, as it’s currently both in the headlines and one of the QOTDs. We are all so foolish compared to you sophisticated city folk.

alwaysfiredup on January 13, 2011 at 12:44 AM

alwaysfiredup on January 13, 2011 at 12:44 AM

You better watch out – I may vamp ya

AprilOrit on January 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM

eaglewingz08 on January 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM

That’s what I’m say ‘in. Listening to it on the radio must have really turned up the creepy factor cause it was awful to listen to. The introduction of Napolitano had me picturing an arena full of fans flicking their lighters or something. It was truly an undignified spectacle. Shameless.

Pole-Cat on January 13, 2011 at 12:55 AM

tigerlily:Thats Hate RHETRIC, er wait, thats what Leftys are say`n, I mean sell`n smellin’!(sarc):)

canopfor on January 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM

fify, my Canadian compadre.

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Palin’s not to blame, but she’s not presidential either

Well, what’s worse — someone like Palin who isn’t the POTUS not being “presidential” or someone like Obama who is POTUS not being “presidential.” The Obots keep comparing Obama to Palin to make him “look good” in comparision, but it just shows how weak & incompetent he really is. And I’m saying that as someone who isn’t that crazy about Palin — but I’ll tell you this, the more the Obots kick her around to fluff up Obama, the more and more I’m liking her.

Dark Star on January 13, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Palin’s not to blame, but she’s not presidential either

I don’t know, that bar was set pretty low tonight!

Pole-Cat on January 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM

I must have died and gone to hell…

Dhuka on January 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Pelosi Galore. LOL!

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 1:02 AM

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Bradky on January 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Since I never asked for any, please allow me to say FU.

kim roy on January 13, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Where’s big brave bradky now?

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Sarah Palin, 1/12/10 -

“I agree with the sentiments shared yesterday at the beautiful Catholic mass held in honor of the victims. The Mass will hopefully help begin a healing process for the families touched by this tragedy and for our country.”

Unlike the ghoul-in-cheif, SP knows and acknowledges what a real memorial should look like. The Mass was televised locally and from her comments, it sounds like she was able to view it at some point.

From Catholic News Service:

TUCSON, Ariz. (CNS) — More than 800 people filled St. Odilia Church and its nearby parish hall Jan. 11 to pray for the victims of the shooting spree outside a Tucson supermarket Jan. 8.

Twenty people were shot, six fatally.

Half a dozen priests and several deacons participated in the liturgy. United Methodist Bishop Minerva Carcano of Phoenix spoke at the end of the Mass. She had hosted an ecumenical prayer service at Catalina United Methodist Church earlier that day which Bishop Kicanas attended.

Roxanna Green, the mother of slain 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green, a member of the parish, looked on as Tucson Bishop Gerald F. Kicanas spoke at a special Mass to heal the community, remember those who died and console the victims and their families. But the St. Odilia Mass, televised locally, was the first of the formal religious services to memorialize the victims.

tigerlily on January 13, 2011 at 1:20 AM

eaglewingz08 on January 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Well Jan Brewer was also there and was audibly booed.
More…yep that’s what I would want at a memorial service for my loved one. *sigh*

tencole on January 13, 2011 at 1:20 AM

so didn’t watch the wake. I take it it sucked because Allah liked it.

unseen on January 13, 2011 at 1:57 AM

The only thing missing: vuvuzelas.

BDavis on January 13, 2011 at 2:11 AM

I heard his and the other speeches on the radio as well and I had the same reaction as others: it sounded like a HS basketball game crowd. They must have been student Dems who were told to cheer the pres and the other admin types. What was really incongruous was Holder and Napolitano reading from the Bible. Sounded like a new experience for them.

Saw Sarah’s speech from her video clip. It was very good and very presidential sounding. She showed lots of gravitas in her serious delivery. Not at all like her usual bouncy cheery style. I think she needs to do more of that to get the public used to thinking of her in a presidential mode instead of as a hockey mom.

shmendrick on January 13, 2011 at 2:23 AM

So this was the kickoff of Obama’s 2012 campaign?

Stay classy bucko.

cntrlfrk on January 13, 2011 at 2:41 AM

The claim in the title of the POST is totally wrong. Obama simply shifted things to have it both ways and sadly apparently was successful.

He still interjects the need for a new “tone” and talks of why we need to be more civil.

Why? Because the Right, via the Tea Party has been on message and obviously successful.

What does it have to do with the shooting? Nothing, yet it’s still dragged into the discussion.

Then he goes on to win the minds of easily swayed people on the Right, by seeming to talk about “people pointing fingers.”

The Right didn’t point fingers, the Left did, and still does, by making the most spacious accusations, by libeling the right.

Obama’s careful parsing of words, makes this offense seem like a draw. As if somehow it’s both sides being mean, thus reducing the odious actions of his own side by establishing false parity.

Make no mistake, this speech was as carefully designed to exploit this incident, to blame the right, to protect his base, to take advantage as anything done in recent days.

TiminPhx on January 13, 2011 at 3:07 AM

But that’s the point isn’t it? It doesn’t matter if the turkey was fake or not, it was just a way to demean and ridicule the President, pick on some irrelevant aspect of his visit and try and make him look bad because the trip to Iraq was a really cool thing to do and he pulled it off beautifully. So his critics try and find something to distract everyone. Same with the t-shirts. Obama gave a perfectly acceptable speech, he did well with it, and so his critics want everyone to fBut that’s the point isn’t it? It doesn’t matter if the turkey was fake or not, it was just a way to demean and ridicule the President, pick on some irrelevant aspect of his visit and try and make him look bad because the trip to Iraq was a really cool thing to do and he pulled it off beautifully. So his critics try and find something to distract everyone. Same with the t-shirts. Obama gave a perfectly acceptable speech, he did well with it, and so his critics want everyone to focus on the t-shirts instead.

Bennett on January 12, 2011 at 10:40 PM

A turkey is not out of place at a Thanksgiving dinner. Free decorated T-shirts with a custom logo and slogan at a memorial service is … more of a stretch, to say the very least.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 13, 2011 at 3:28 AM

I have been steadily becoming sick of fox news. Tonight’s coverage sealed the deal. Listening to Krauthammer twist himself into knots to praise & elevate Obama was disgusting. Having Hume and Wallace try to outdo him was nauseating.

The speech was nothing special. The spectacle was appalling. Listening to fox news doing a phenomenally awesome job of out msnbc ing msnbc made me feel like I was in bizarro world.

America1st on January 13, 2011 at 3:44 AM

But that’s the point isn’t it? It doesn’t matter if the turkey was fake or not Palin had anything to do with the shooting>, it was just a way to demean and ridicule the President her, pick on some irrelevant aspect of his visit her life and try and make him her look bad

Bennett on January 12, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Good god, the Irony. It burns.

alwaysfiredup on January 13, 2011 at 3:44 AM

Remember, those were not T-Shirts. They were gags that are to be used when the Right engages in hate speech. And Hate Speech is anything that disagrees with the Left/Media.

TiminPhx on January 13, 2011 at 3:55 AM

He looks smug and arrogant to me.
Jackwagon-asshat.

OmahaConservative on January 13, 2011 at 5:05 AM

eaglewingz08 on January 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM

I agree with your sentiment, but I have to correct a few things. The song being played was “Fanfare for the Common Man”. It was used in “Saving Private Ryan” and at Beck’s rally. The Native American blessing was done in the traditional way. The one giving the prayer must recite his genealogy etc.

I liked the blessing, but when the song was played, I cringed because I knew then that this was going to be a rally for Obama. I think the song, though a good sentiment (it was written to commemorate WWII) was completely too aggressive for a solemn memorial setting.

For me, the bottom line is that Obama and his handlers set this up to get him some much needed applause, while allowing him some cover. The problem for them is that this was a spectacle of epic proportions. The only way for Obama to distance himself from the event is to admit he has no control over the events he attends.

csdeven on January 13, 2011 at 6:39 AM

Forgive me if any or all of this has already been said. I just logged on this morning and haven’t read all of the pages of comments. But I was really upset last night and I’m still upset. And here’s what I think:

I fear for our country. We have learned nothing in two years. Last night’s “Memorial” service was a … contest. The president has shown once again that with one eloquent speech and some free t-shirts for the crowd, he can make the American people believe Styrofoam pillars are real. He and his appointed AG Eric Holder and HLS secy Janet Napolitano are the three people most responsible for obstructing Arizona’s efforts to secure our country’s southern border. Holder and Napolitano read speeches from the Bible selected to welcome “all peoples.” The only thing missing from this charade was Nancy Pelosi reciting Emma Lazarus’ “Give me your tired your poor.” And all of this done on the graves of 6 people killed by a madman.

The news media is lapping it up as if it were maple syrup, including the supposedly level-headed folks on Fox news: Brit Hume and Charles Krauthammer.

We didn’t see a spectacle like this after the Ft. Hood shootings — why?

If this shooting had happened anywhere but in Arizona and/or if the Congressperson involved was Republican, do you think this speechifying political rally would’ve happened? I don’t.

Shouting, cheering, whistling, and applauding at a Memorial service for slain innocents? What have we become?

winfield on January 13, 2011 at 6:45 AM

I try to be as fair as I can about Obama most of the time, but this guy and networks like msnbc talking about lowering the rhetoric and cooling down is extremely rich.

It’s because of these people in power right now and their extreme views that we hear the heated talk so much today.
I’ve personally never have seen a POTUS as divisive as Obama is. So for him to claim the high ground it’s just blatantly hypocritical.

The crowd cheering was bizarre but who knows, maybe they wanted it that way, I don’t know.
I just wish that Obama would practice what he preaches.
He has zero credibility talking about finding common ground and opposing viewpoint listening to each other with mutual respect.

What has been going on from the Left just makes you say to him : give me a break.

btw, Palin seemed very presidential to me too. It struck me that if Huckabee or Romney, or any other loser had tried to do what she did, they would have been ridiculed for appearing so formal.
People seemed to take her seriously and listen to what she was saying rather than say “what is she doing making a speech like that? the nerve to make it look so presidential!!”

People that are so scared of her and see her as “dangerous” are just funny. Just shows you what brainwashing can do.

B Man on January 13, 2011 at 6:52 AM

Last night’s program was not really a memorial service — too much audience clapping, cheering and whistling. I did not like the audience behavior at all.

I am not an Obama fan, but the Obama speech was overall OK and was in fact good in saying that political discourse did not lead to the Tucson shootings.

The public policy discussion that the Tucson shootings should lead to is how we treat the mentally ill. The “liberal” approach of release going back to the 1960′s has not worked.

Phil Byler on January 13, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Not for nuthin, but Yobama could have got up there and passed gas, then walked of the stage and the MSM would have gushed about how perfect his speech was and how it set just the right tone etc..

Oh, and it’s prolly been said, but, uh..WTF was up with MO-zilla wearing that purple Alice in Wonderland meets Hefty trash bag dress? Did she wake up hung over from one of her erf-quaking-booty-shakin-ghetto-white house parties and go straight to the memorial service?

Alden Pyle on January 13, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Bradky on January 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Inanemergencydial on January 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM

+1 !!!

bitsy on January 13, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Three days too late. And days after he praised the demagogue Dupnik, it was obviously insincere.

Basilsbest on January 13, 2011 at 7:36 AM

Bradky on January 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

What do you expect when conservatives have to deal with screeching lefties like yourself? People like you are the ones who doesn’t when to stop–why should anyone continue to put up with it in silence?

zoyclem on January 13, 2011 at 7:36 AM

zoyclem on January 13, 2011 at 7:36 AM

and watch dear leader will be leading the pack with the hard core rhetoric…campaign 2012 just around the corner

cmsinaz on January 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM

So, while we argue over this and defend ourselves from the blame, how many executive orders and regulations are going to go through that will limit our free speech and gun rights?

mizflame98 on January 13, 2011 at 7:50 AM

The elephant in the room…for me. Matters not what obama said. I do not believe the man, he cannot elevate anything in my mind. It was carefully crafted to garner praise from rinos and the MFM…it worked.
If next week, heck today, he needs to say the opposite he will.

winston on January 13, 2011 at 7:55 AM

I can see that Obama is still living rent free in the heads of the Palinbots…
Bradky on January 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Hah, living rent free, with his mother-in-law, in gubmint housin, enjoyin the good times on the tax payers dime. Typical community organizer behavior.

Alden Pyle on January 13, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I thought this was a good speech, but I agree that all the cheering was a put-off for a memorial service. I thought back to Reagan’s speech after the Challenger disaster – maybe giving an address via TV would’ve been a bit more respectful and less a political spectacle.

furytrader on January 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Ok since they’re almost about to start, pick your own fav talk radio show host…

ProudPalinFan on January 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Rebel yells at a memorial…
It would have been appropriate for him to calm the crowd down, remind them of where they were.

Fartnokker on January 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I think someone needs to ask TOTUS if this unfortunate congresswoman fighting for her life would still have gotten the same fantastic medical care she’s getting at this hospital if we had been under Obamacare now. Somehow, I think not.

mozalf on January 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I just got in, so I’m sure this has already been said, but here goes. That wasn’t a memorial service, it was a friggin pep rally. I could only watch about five minutes before I had to turn the channel since it was done in such poor taste. Truly sickening.

Torch on January 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM

FWIW, I just saw this link over at Gateway Pundit/Jim Hoft. According to this report from the Sonoran Chronicle on Jan. 9th, it appears yesterday evening was not the first time Giffords opened her eyes.

marybel on January 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I am at the Laura Ingraham website, scroll down to the “Separated At Birth” scroll, it’s awesome! BTW she’s not happy about her FOX co-hosts being “enamoured” of Obama’s speech. She only pointed out Hume’s couple of pointers.

ProudPalinFan on January 13, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I’m disgusted & embarrassed by my fellow conservatives for the hatred that’s clouding their perspective. Yes, it is hatred that keeps them from seeing good in a political opponent.
Mr Obama seems to be a good husband & a good father. Would you grant him that? And even though he’s wrong most of the time on-the-job, when he’s right, we ought to be the first to thank him. To do otherwise lessens our credibility & makes us no better than our political adversaries.

itsnotaboutme on January 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Troll alert!

mozalf on January 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM

From the Tucson Chronicle on January 9th:

The surgeon who operated on Giffords for two hours Saturday, UMC neurosurgery chief G. Michael Lemole, Jr., M.D., called the gunshot wound “very devastating” and warned that there is no way to predict how fully Giffords will recover. But he remains optimistic.

“We’re all very happy at this stage,” he said during a 10 a.m. news conference Sunday.

Giffords was able to respond to simple commands when she came to the emergency room shortly after 10:30 a.m. but couldn’t speak and remains unable to.

“She did not say any words,” said University Medical Center trauma chief Peter Rhee, M.D.

Giffords is in a drug-induced coma in intensive care. Doctors frequently awaken her to check her responsiveness, and she could open her eyes and respond to simple commands Sunday – an encouraging sign, said Rhee said.

The best part of the speech for me was the timely “miracle”
of Gabby opening her eyes “for the very first time.”

Huh?

marybel on January 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM

mozalf on January 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I thought the exact same thing. Additionally, would we, as mere pions, have received the same medical care? Doubtful.

azlindy on January 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I disagree. Great medical care would always be available to the politically connected (of both parties). A Congresswoman would go to the head of the line.

Mutnodjmet on January 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM

To what degree might the anti-Arizona boycott crowd have established an ‘atmosphere’ for this tragedy and the apparent reveling in the opportunity to ‘brand’ the act and event for political purposes? The anti-Arizona anger and hate (with the Fed Govt suing Arizona and countless ‘liberal progressive’ communities calling for boycotts of Arizona) would certainly lead one to contemplate attacking political leaders who supported the new Arizona law to enforce federal immigration laws by Arizona officials (including Giffords).

jerseyman on January 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM

The best part of the speech for me was the timely “miracle”of Gabby opening her eyes “for the very first time.”

Huh?

marybel on January 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM

He wouldn’t be messiah without a miracle healing.

jerseyman on January 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM

furytrader on January 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Reasonable to you and me but that was the whole point of an opportunity that could not be missed. Progrssives are in trouble and they must take advantage whenever they can. I just hope the American people see through all the deception and pageantry for what it really is. (Wellstone memorial ring any bells?)

jerseyman on January 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

How many days far apart since she opened her eye from the first time to when “Obama was there and saw it?”

ProudPalinFan on January 13, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Phil Byler on January 13, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Any discussion of the politics of the event is inappropriate during a memorial service. Obama saying that political discourse did not lead to the Tucson shootings is like Mark Antony saying that Brutus is an honorable man. I know that he meant the opposite. How did you miss that?

Extrafishy on January 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Laura Ingraham is calling Kraut to task. Challenging the audience if they believe what he said. Claw’s out, people!

ProudPalinFan on January 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM

If next week, heck today, he needs to say the opposite he will.

winston on January 13, 2011 at 7:55 AM

+1000 You have said it all.

winfield on January 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Limbaugh “pep rally”

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM

@ marybel on January 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Thank you for posting that link to the press conference with Dr. Rhee! I knew I had seen an interview with her doctors a day or two earlier, whether on local or national tv, and they said she could see. When a reporter asked more about her sight, they said her vision was obstructed by the machines and declined to give specifics.

GrannySunni on January 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM

mozalf on January 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Of course she would have. Barry’s Big Medical System is only for us plebs.

Rae on January 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I was on my way home from the store when I happened to hear a little of his speech last night. I told my wife that just from the 10 seconds that I could stand to listen to him it sounded like a damn political rally with all the weepy eyed obamabots raising their fists in the air in solidarity. I almost was physically ill after hearing just that short bit. I thought they were there to remember those who had died. That man must be defeated in the next election or we are toast as a nation. To still know that people like that attended and are still fainting in his presence makes me know that the education system in this country has failed or that people just don’t give a rats ass anymore.

jistincase on January 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Whats with the hands on the Gov? Obama absolutely hates Arizona and so does holder and the rest of the airplane full of Obamaites. I hope she offered to give him a tour of the border after he spoke and while there, remind him that an illegal alien could have done this just as easily.

kens on January 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I haven’t read through all of the posts but I think I am not the only cynical b*st*rd here. The praise being heaped on the President is wholly unfounded. I saw his speech as a chain of platitudes that have been offered up by the 60s influenced love gang. We need to listen to one another, we need to love one another, we are all Americans no matter what our stripe, we are one, we need to heal (my personal favorite to hate).

It makes my skin crawl when I watch a President speak and all I can think is that the speech was written for some drippy Hollywood movie about a President uniting our country.

Can we stop the phony political and social theatre and start to reconstitute (I just saw that pun) our country?

allstonian on January 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM