Obama’s speech: “[T]he truth is that none of us can know exactly what triggered this vicious attack”

posted at 9:45 pm on January 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

Normally I’d wait for video to post but that could take an hour or more, so here are his remarks as prepared for delivery. He did an excellent job, actually, much better than I expected. Some righties will dislike it just because it’s him and some lefties will dislike it because, unlike them, he wasn’t in the mood for voodoo, but most everyone else will think it’s lovely.

Read the full speech and enjoy it now because tomorrow’s political insta-analysis — “Obama’s back!” — is sure to taint the mood. Two noteworthy ad libs to bear in mind before you proceed to the key passages below. First, in the speech’s best moment, he mentioned that Giffords opened her eyes today for the first time. And second, right after the line “it is not because a simple lack of civility caused this tragedy,” he punctuated it with “it did not.” He’s not playing the “climate of hate” game here, in other words. On the contrary.

You see, when a tragedy like this strikes, it is part of our nature to demand explanations – to try to impose some order on the chaos, and make sense out of that which seems senseless. Already we’ve seen a national conversation commence, not only about the motivations behind these killings, but about everything from the merits of gun safety laws to the adequacy of our mental health systems. Much of this process, of debating what might be done to prevent such tragedies in the future, is an essential ingredient in our exercise of self-government.

But at a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized – at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who think differently than we do – it’s important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds.

Scripture tells us that there is evil in the world, and that terrible things happen for reasons that defy human understanding. In the words of Job, “when I looked for light, then came darkness.” Bad things happen, and we must guard against simple explanations in the aftermath.

For the truth is that none of us can know exactly what triggered this vicious attack. None of us can know with any certainty what might have stopped those shots from being fired, or what thoughts lurked in the inner recesses of a violent man’s mind.

So yes, we must examine all the facts behind this tragedy. We cannot and will not be passive in the face of such violence. We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of violence in the future.

But what we can’t do is use this tragedy as one more occasion to turn on one another. As we discuss these issues, let each of us do so with a good dose of humility. Rather than pointing fingers or assigning blame, let us use this occasion to expand our moral imaginations, to listen to each other more carefully, to sharpen our instincts for empathy, and remind ourselves of all the ways our hopes and dreams are bound together…

The loss of these wonderful people should make every one of us strive to be better in our private lives – to be better friends and neighbors, co-workers and parents. And if, as has been discussed in recent days, their deaths help usher in more civility in our public discourse, let’s remember that it is not because a simple lack of civility caused this tragedy [-- it did not --] but rather because only a more civil and honest public discourse can help us face up to our challenges as a nation, in a way that would make them proud. It should be because we want to live up to the example of public servants like John Roll and Gabby Giffords, who knew first and foremost that we are all Americans, and that we can question each other’s ideas without questioning each other’s love of country, and that our task, working together, is to constantly widen the circle of our concern so that we bequeath the American dream to future generations.

Note the rhetorical move at the end: Civil rhetoric may be a virtue but that doesn’t mean it’s a lesson of the shooting. He’s obviously aiming this at the left, although naturally they’ll conclude that that can’t possibly be the case. Ace heard a different speech than I did, I guess, but for what it’s worth, this is playing remarkably well thus far among righties on Twitter: Rich Lowry, Jonah Goldberg, Jim Geraghty, Andy Levy, S.E. Cupp, Philip Klein, and Ace’s own co-bloggers Drew and Gabe all thought it was rock solid. Click the image below to watch a key section. Exit question: Er, what was with the audience? Wasn’t this a memorial service?

Update: KP, of all people, is criticizing Obama on Twitter for tacitly validating the left’s “rhetoric” narrative by addressing it in the first place. He had to say something, though. If he avoided the subject, he would have come off as a coward — voting “present” on four days of demagoguery. He dismissed the lefty narrative as best he could within the constraints imposed upon him by having to retain his base.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Mallard T. Drake on January 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Losing track of the new names I’ve never seen here before tonight. And I’m shocked – shocked! – that they are almost unanimous in their praise of the speech and defense of the t-shirts/pep rally spectacle.

Interesting.

Some lefty site has their talking points formulated, conservative URL’s targeted, and marching orders given.

Midas on January 13, 2011 at 1:37 AM

…right after the line “it is not because a simple lack of civility caused this tragedy,” he punctuated it with “it did not.” He’s not playing the “climate of hate” game here, in other words. On the contrary.

This same stroke body slammed Hillary Clinton’s comment from earlier today!

Freddy on January 13, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Where The hell were the Greek columns? Was this a memorial service or an Obama rally? Where did the nutjob indian come into the act? If a Christian had held a cross and prayed to Jesus over and over they would have been booed off the stage. Why was there cheering and clapping? Are we so uncivilized that we do not know a memorial from a fkinucg basketball game? I was appalled at the speech and the atmosphere. It was like campaign time in Tuscon!

inspectorudy on January 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM

… and one more thing, how come no one has pointed out that the Obama lawsuit against Arizona’s SB 1070 is more likely than anything to have upset someone worried about the ‘grammer’ of the illegal aliens in Arizona?

Freddy on January 13, 2011 at 1:43 AM

inspectorudy on January 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM

That is what my husband said… where are the Greek columns?

I didn’t hear the intro for the Indian guy… but I guess he had some kind of spiritual message. He talked about genocide…

This is Geronimo territory. And Cochise. The tribe I know about near there are Apaches I don’t’ know if he was Apache or not. I had lots of friends from the San Carlos reservation in High School… but now they have there own high school so they don’t have to associate with people like me. Reverse segregation I guess.

My grandfather used to tell about when he saw Geronimo… I never heard it he died before I was born. But my mom wrote it down. He thought Geronimo was treated very badly.

petunia on January 13, 2011 at 1:55 AM

All I know is I was appalled. Furthermore, I was even more appalled when I heard Hume and Krauthammer fauning over the speech. I’m wondering, what I hear that they didn’t, what did they hear that I didn’t…a complete disconnect here. I was, again, appalled!

Chewy the Lab

They were following Aile’s order to tone down the rhetoric.

xblade on January 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM

OH my gosh have we lost Fox? If these people don’t speak up we are doomed. I don’t think it was Aile’s I think it was Murdock. But what game is he playing at?

This thing should have been renounced and stomped into the ground and Krauthammer was once a smart and stable voice. Now he is all over the place…

Victor Hansen, has anyone got to him? Please we must have good people speak for us. If Fox is gone we have lost a great deal. WE must have those brave enough with stature enough to speak against them.

petunia on January 13, 2011 at 2:18 AM

I wonder if Paul Krugman realizes that the president essentially called him a jackass.

Tuning Spork on January 13, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Tuning Spork on January 13, 2011 at 3:19 AM

No, the Left is going to assume he wasn’t talking to them. Or if they take a pledge to be civil it will dissolve the first time the Right says a polite “No.”

alwaysfiredup on January 13, 2011 at 3:23 AM

There were NOT simple explanations in the aftermath! That is rewriting history.

There was a concerted effort by one side of the aisle to co-opt the murder of 6 to their political gain.

That is reprehensible. That was purely democrats. That was the face of scum!

Lonetown on January 13, 2011 at 4:41 AM

The T-shirts and cheering were way out of line, but I guess Obama can’t sound sincere without a rowdy crowd to feed off of.

The words were well delivered, but the organization of this event as a memorial service seemed to be drawn from the Wellstone service. Obama barely deserves credit for preventing this clusterfisk from falling into chants. Barely because he should have said, “Slogans? T-Shirts? What the fisk do you think this is, a campaign stop?” when he first heard of it and made this a dignified service rather than a pep rally.

He had a homerun speech ready but all he managed was a sliding double. This should be tomorrow’s Obamteurism of the Day.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on January 13, 2011 at 4:49 AM

This wasn’t a “memorial”. It was a campaign speech.

The last week has been hard for me. Worrying about friends and family caught up in the floods here in Australia. Everyone is OK fortunately and not much property damage.

The Australian Prime Julia Gillard has proven herself to be a sham. Every press conference about the floods sounds like a campaign speech.

To hear Obama’s speech made me more depressed. The rhetoric sounds the same.

If Americans stupidly reelect Obama. God help us all.

Crux Australis on January 13, 2011 at 4:57 AM

I would even go further than Kirsten Powers. I would say he should have called out the left for it’s blood libel (in those words, and shamed them. Yes, a lot of us would call it a cynical, calculated, “Sister Souljah” moment. We’d probably be at least sort of right. And he’d probably get a lot of political capital from it. But I’d have liked him for it anyway.

What many on left (and even worse, the onces more towards the center) did here these last few days needs to not just be rejected or repudiated. It needs to become INFAMOUS. An outright condemnation from the president would have been helpful in that regard.

RINO in Name Only on January 13, 2011 at 5:48 AM

News flash!

President Obama gives a good speech. BFD.

God knows whether he meant any of it.

exdeadhead on January 13, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Exit question: Er, what was with the audience? Wasn’t this a memorial service?

Exactly what I thought for the minute and a half I watched it, hoping to see Modern Family.

BTW, fast forwarding through the speech turns Obama into a bobblehead.

loudmouth883 on January 13, 2011 at 6:20 AM

so his allies commit horrible acts for 4 days, he then steps up and says we all need to act better, and many in the right fall over in praise?

rob verdi on January 13, 2011 at 6:20 AM

rob verdi on January 13, 2011 at 6:20 AM

yup….boggles the mind

cmsinaz on January 13, 2011 at 6:34 AM

He’s certainly back, since today and tomorrow he won’t condemn the people who actually are attacking, people of his party…the sherrif, Clyburn, all the other liberal and dem yahoo’s who are attacking that evil talk radio.
He is back telling us what we want to hear…but not taking any action. He knows who is the root of the problem.

right2bright on January 13, 2011 at 6:52 AM

petunia on January 13, 2011 at 1:55 AM

My great grandmother saw Geronimo. It was in Oklahoma after they had crossed the Red River in wagons. This was a long long time ago. She said he showed up under a white flag. He was just an old man wanting to trade for backy {tobacco}. When you grow up in the southwest and your people are from the area for generations back you can hear stories like this. Used to anyway, I think as time passes we are losing some of this oral history.

Anyway, back to the speech..I missed it on purpose. I hate public expressions of grief and by public I mean cameras, lights, Tshirts and pundits.

Maybe the Oval Office would have been a better place for Obama to do this.

Terrye on January 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM

The audience was like the Wellstone memorial from what I have seen. I admittedly did not watch it, but there was a lot of partisanship in that crowd. Obama was not part of that partisanship, but there should have been more focus on that crowd in this post than just one little line.

Daemonocracy on January 13, 2011 at 7:01 AM

right2bright on January 13, 2011 at 6:52 AM

Time will tell if he is back. This is the kind of performance that got Obama where he is, Republicans underestimate him at their peril…but I think the real reason a lot of people on the right liked the speech was that they could imagine a Republican or a conservative giving a speech like this and while Obama might not have called out people by name, he seems to have made it plain that he does not like some of the stuff he has been hearing.

Maybe he knows that the sort of spectacle we have seen for the last few days can hurt more than help him. People do not like that stuff.

Terrye on January 13, 2011 at 7:04 AM

If Obama meant to make a statement regarding the fact that the motives of the Arizona shooter were NOT political, he’d have just stopped at that. But no. We get the “civility in discourse” speech again.

This guy’s aim is to get average people to stop making a homemade “Give Us Liberty, Not Debt” sign and stop turning up at their local courthouse or congressman’s office with it. He doesn’t give a rat’s patootie about “civil discourse”. If he did, we wouldn’t have laundry list of flame-throwing rhetoric coming out of HIS mouth to draw upon for reference.

This is about the Tea Party, folks. Everything the left does right now is about shutting down the public criticism they’ve taken from everyday citizens. It’s all about marginalizing those who would speak out against irresponsible spending and encroachments upon individual rights, to stop that movement from growing.

EVERYTHING they do right now is about containing the Tea Party. Don’t let ‘em fool you.

Murf76 on January 13, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Michelle is on F&F and is holding nothing back in holding Obama accountable! Bwahahahaha!!! Go get em MM!!!!

csdeven on January 13, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Untreated mental illness. If someone evaluated this kid, they might have been able to put an involuntary hold on him or talk him into signing himself into a hospital for treatment. Same with the police contacts — if he were prosecuted, they could have evaluated him and used it to force him into treatment. From what I read, he’s been experiencing both visual and auditory hallucinations for years and no one thought it was anything but a bit odd.

Blake on January 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM

The revulsion that I feel for the left and those beltway RINOS is almost making me throw up. They still do not understand that we do not want to get along with the left. We want to crush them under our boots and regulate them to the dustbin of history. Denounce them at every turn, give nothing to this pretender in the white house. I want the next elections to be tomorrow so we can get back the rest of the government and start restoring our republic. Useful idiots like CK and GW need to shut up and go away. My wife and MM are my kind of conservatives that should be in power.

jistincase on January 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Fu*k Obama. He has his minions acting insane and attacking everyone to the right of Mao while he refudiates them all without actually saying so.

Then he’ll give his hateful supporters a little pat on the back. Fu*k Obama.

Jaibones on January 13, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Exit question: Er, what was with the audience? Wasn’t this a memorial service?

The only thing missing was the part where they dim the lights and everyone flicks on their lighters.

/journey

Ward Cleaver on January 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I’ve never heard so much applause at a memorial service.

steebo77 on January 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Crux Australis on January 13, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Your country is in our prayers. The video we have seen is devastating. I am glad your family is well and I pray for positive outcomes for those missing.

Cindy Munford on January 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM

The tone was inappropriate. Period.

kingsjester on January 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

It was deja vu Paul Wellstone memorial all over again. The O was coached well by Bill Clinton, though, but he/his team (?) managed to denegrade what should have been a beautiful commemoration. The young man intern claims it was a celebration of life, but did it have to be so tacky?!? T-shirts and booing of the governor?!? Where is that appropriate in a memorial service?!? But then again remember how they were practically falling over themselves at the Coretta Scott King funeral practically pushing her coffin out of the way to show President Bush disrespect because that was more important than honoring that great lady. Sorry to be so cynical and I’ll say it, they started it! It’s a shame they’ve cheapened and trivialized such a tragic situation to score political points.

mozalf on January 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Laura Ingraham is calling Kraut to task. Challenging the audience if they believe what he said. Claw’s out, people!

ProudPalinFan on January 13, 2011 at 10:11 AM

This wasn’t a “memorial”. It was a campaign speech.

To hear Obama’s speech made me more depressed. The rhetoric sounds the same.

If Americans stupidly reelect Obama. God help us all.

Crux Australis on January 13, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Hang in there, friend. I was stunned at the strength of the currents inland, and how dangerous it is for y’all. Keep posting, so we know you’re still okay, and lots of hugs!

-PPF

ProudPalinFan on January 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Didn’t read through all the comments, so forgive me if this has been posted.

Giffords is in a drug-induced coma in intensive care. Doctors frequently awaken her to check her responsiveness, and she could open her eyes and respond to simple commands Sunday – an encouraging sign, Rhee said.

Please stop with the lie that she opened her eyes for the first time under the watchful gaze of Messiah Obama.

Smaulz on January 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM

It was as good a speech as we could expect from this President. He’s not stupid, and he has centrist minders now who will try to help him get re-elected in 2012.
Obama’s remarks were remeniscent of his remarks at the Fort Hood Memorial Service. Apropos.

Randy

williars on January 13, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Crux Australis on January 13, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Glad to hear you and your family have survived the floods intact, CA. From the t.v. coverage we’ve seen, it looked pretty scary. Hope things are able to get back to normal there soon.

AZCoyote on January 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

The T-Shirts were inexcusable and just further evidence that (along with the greek columns and pre-presendential seal of 2009) this isn’t the presidency of Obama, it’s the marketing of an empty suit.

There were parts of the speech that would have inspired me had it not been for the crass cheering at a young child’s memorial, but the speaker remains fundamentally flawed.

nico on January 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

jistincase on January 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I love it. We need more of this.

rrpjr on January 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Can anyone explain what Obama meant by

Expand our Moral Imaginations

It sounds like moral relativism to me.

huckleberryfriend on January 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Terrye on January 13, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Obama may still be able to fool some people but nowhere near the number he did in 2008. Contrary to popular opinion I think his speaking abilities suck.

darwin on January 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM

huckleberryfriend on January 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Expand our moral imaginations….

Makes about as much sense as “these are the pillars upon which we will build our foundations” thing he said in Denver a few years back.

Not a good wordsmith on the White House staff these days?

Not even a mediocre one?

coldwarrior on January 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM

The truth, Mr. Pres, is that we DO know what triggered the shooting… a seriously ill person, who’s brain is very very sick, which is not connected right, doesn’t fire right, and is literally dissolving, has developed worsening language and thought disorders. His brain, his mind, is struggling internally to make sense of the hash in his brain and failing.

His sufferings in this world were related to his physical inability to connect with others in the normal human fashion. He can’t win at life at any level, because he can’t communicate normally with himself or others, make sense of time or semantics or semiotics.

He concocts a world for himself where it is all to some great purpose or duty applying to himself, a duty that involves him displaying his special knowlege and powers.

We know people like that are dangerous even when they are not immediately threatening someone, as they are scared and angry and may turn on a dime for no rational reason that can be predicted.

We know people like that need to be under supervision and medication permanently, but are unwilling to make sure it happens.

This ought to be what we are discussing – methods of due process with review that result in lifelong monitoring and treatment.

SarahW on January 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM

So why was it necessary for “the most sympathetic man in the room” to lecture us on the obvious, again?

mojo on January 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I went to a memorial service and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.

-somebody could make the above shirts.

stenwin77 on January 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Were the teleprompters present ?

stenwin77 on January 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM

When do the surrogates start blaming Palin again?

PattyJ on January 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM

When do the surrogates start blaming Palin again?

PattyJ on January 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM

When did they stop?

darwin on January 13, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Sorry, I don’t care what side you’re on. Whoever was responsible for those T-Shirts is an incredible moron. For a memorial service? Freaking please. Have Americans completely lost the last shred of class we had?

hawkdriver on January 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Do people listen to what he says? Do they hear the WORDS that he says? I’m getting the impression that they attend to his speechs like they are a song or a piece of modern art. Collective imagination is communism. Instinct for empathy, ditto. Hopes and dreams bound up in each other, same.

The right seems to be relieved that it wasn’t fingured by Obama for murder like some old Uncle Sam poster. How was it a good speech? Tell me what words he used that were beneficial. What wasn’t “rhetoric” or a call to collectivism. Can’t blame each other? No kidding, Sherlock.

I’ll wait.

Haunches on January 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM

At least the Democrats didn’t do a Wellstone tribal death dance at the service. I guess we can be thankful for small favors.

swassociates on January 13, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I thought the speech was good and tempered–and that he directed some criticism at his own side. My wife thought that he shouldn’t have included anything about rhetoric–but I told her that I expected that he has to do something to allow his party a graceful retreat.

In essence he 1) told his party to cut their losses, and 2) ran some interference for the party to do that.

It was not too bad.

Axeman on January 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Be honest, who told a lib last night, how do YOU like being told to sit down and shut up!?

Speakup on January 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM

… but we’re going to say it’s the Right anyway.

Shambhala on January 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Didn’t read through all the comments, so forgive me if this has been posted.

Smaulz on January 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I thought that as well. The miracle worker! All they left out was “…and then Obama laid his hand on her head…”

slickwillie2001 on January 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM

This guy’s aim is to get average people to stop making a homemade “Give Us Liberty, Not Debt” sign and stop turning up at their local courthouse or congressman’s office with it. …..This is about the Tea Party, folks.

Agree, but note: the GOP has the same mission. Exactly the same. “Thanks for the votes; go away, we’ll take it from here.”

james23 on January 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Obama: none of us can know exactly what triggered this vicious attack

But we do know the political story, of the left smearing the right (and Sarah Palin in particular) as responsible for the shooting, and the right defending itself. Which Obama never mentioned once. A remarkable failure of leadership on his part. A time for healing and he blew it.

Paul-Cincy on January 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM

His speech was good. Palin’s speech was good. Together, I think they moved the country beyond partisan politics.

But I think it took both.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Now, let’s move onto the real discussion. Let’s utilize the current laws.

This guy needed to be pulled into the system.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 11:43 AM

But I think it took both.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM

And in fifteen minutes I’ll be advocating something Stalinist…

whatevs.

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Sure we do. Some nutball tried to kill a congresswoman, managed to kill several others. Kos took great joy in this and made a lame attempt to tie it to Palin. The vicious attack has been going on for four days and encompassed everyone who ever actually likes the Constitution while you stood by and cheered so long as it couldn’t be traced to you.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on January 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM

But I think it took both.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM

For about as long as the Cern collider holds antimatter -
wishful thinking Ann.

diogenes on January 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM

But I think it took both.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Your “concern troll” shtick is getting old.

csdeven on January 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Mallard T. Drake on January 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Interesting.

Midas on January 13, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Dude: I have been a commentator here since the early days when Michelle started this site. I know you have been here quite a while also. Maybe you should start paying a little more attention. In the meantime, I will strive to make my posts much, much more interesting so that my name will be burned into your brain.

My comment about the president’s speech stands. We here at this site have complained about how Obama always makes his speeches about himself. I pointed out that he avoided that last night and he sounded much more presidential. If you disagree, debate that point instead of calling me a lefty troll.

BTW, I said nothing about the T-shirts/pep rally spectacle or anything else for that matter. If you are going to accuse me of being a troll, please try to be more accurate with your charge.

Mallard T. Drake on January 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Looks like happy hour just ended.

slickwillie2001 on January 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

But I think it took both.

AnninCA on January 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Post racial. Post partisan politics. Receding water. Free healthcare. Reset.

Is there nothing this man can’t do?

When he attempts the loaves and fishes thing, call me.

BobMbx on January 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Another Wellstone memorial.

lilium on January 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM

One thing that I think is going to happen is that Foxs ratings are going to take a big hit after the slobbering review by chuck and george last night. This chattering class needs to STFU and go away. If Murdock thinks that the people that are watching his channel like this he is dead wrong. Ailes better put his foot down and get back to what made this channel the powerhouse that it is or risk losing it all. I cannot stand to watch sour kraut anymore with his snoot in the air talking about how stupid Palin and the American public are. He and his kind may be intelligent but do not have a clue as to what is going on with Americans.

jistincase on January 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM

jistincase on January 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Those on the right need more choices. I’d like to see a new news channel, -a conservative version of MSNBC. Fox News has to toe the corporate line, and has to suck up to the democratics in order to get them to appear. We need something like a tv version of conservative talk radio.

slickwillie2001 on January 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM

The guy was mentally unstable. THATS what triggered it.
Intead of blaming those who had nothing to do with it, they need to understand why this guy was like he was so this sort of thing can be caught next time before it comes to this. Now they have Sarah Palin getting threats. Our own country is after one person and this just isnt right.

johnnyU on January 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM

johnnyU on January 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I wouldn’t go to the bank on that one…yet.

More than a few felons have faked insanity when faced with a lethal injection…

Loughner’s ex-girlfriend hints that he might be faking it.

As for Sarah Palin…of course she had nothing to do with this whole mess, nor did Rush today or back when OKC’s federal building was blown to bits…but the Left got their message out there in spades, didn’t they?

Bottom line, basic Alinsky in action here, folks.

Anyone not Progressive who gains a following that may pose a threat to Progressive rule…they will be a target, in the cross-hairs, made to pay.

Anyone who does not understand this is either a Progressive and lying through their teeth…disregard them at once;

Or havce been living in a deep cave for the past couple decades and need guidance, ASAP;

Or have been lulled into a false sense of security with the comforting words, “this is America, it can’t happen here” on their lips as they pull the blankets over their heads every night. And these we need to educate and soon. They didn’t grasp the significance of 2008 at all and probably didn’t understand the significance of 2010 either and have no hope of having a clue in 2012, as well.

coldwarrior on January 13, 2011 at 2:37 PM

The truth is that none of us can know exactly what triggered this vicious attack — Barack Obama

There is the truth of all truths.

Any other opinion is an act of racism.

J_Crater on January 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM

When he attempts the loaves and fishes thing, call me.

BobMbx on January 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM

He cured Giffords of her blindness didn’t he? I would bet money they begged her husband to allow Obama to announce that bit of news. Sick, sick, 8astards the the lot of them!

csdeven on January 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Talk to your base, dumb-fuc*.

Jaibones on January 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM

inspectorudy on January 13, 2011 at 1:39 AM

That is what my husband said… where are the Greek columns?

petunia on January 13, 2011 at 1:55 AM

This was the ethnically-specified “ceremony” to open the Event. The guy announced he was not “a medicine man but a family doctor” (though I saw no professional credits associated with him, so it might have been his own version of what “doctor” is or means, don’t know)…

Anyway, the guy identified himself (twice, to my count) as “Mexican” and then also a “Mexican…refuge from Mexico”.

So he was Mexican, by his own repeated identification. He claimed (“on [his] father’s side) some tribal identity (I don’t recall the name of such, though) but returned to his “Mexican” theme claiming to be a refuge from Mexico (or the “tribe” was…).

He obviously represented some specific selection process by the organizers of the event with, I am certain, the Democrats’ being keenly involved with who, what, why as to the event.

The point seems to be that they wanted to edit the event based upon race and ethnicity.

The helpful “intern” hero guy later exclaimed “we are all Americans” which told me the ethnic-racial environment was keenly edited to meet the DNC’s election needs, to force the event into an ethnicity/Mexican/Hispanic-amnesty event…

Then came Holder and Napolitano so of course they were following suit with that.

Lourdes on January 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM

But, I rather enjoyed the “Mexican” “family doctor”‘s doings. He went on way too long about his ancestry and self-identity issues (made no sense to the event) but his actual “ceremony” of “blessing” was rather enjoyable. I could and did appreciate it, respect it all except the pointed ethnicity-rambling.

Lourdes on January 14, 2011 at 7:33 AM

Lourdes on January 14, 2011 at 7:33 AM

None of the victims of Saturday’s carnage, nor the perpetrator, were Hispanic, Latino or “Native”…so the point of the Ceremony Guy’s placement seems to be to court the audience based upon ethnicity/race (“we’re not White”).

Lourdes on January 14, 2011 at 7:34 AM

There is the truth of all truths.

Any other opinion is an act of racism.

J_Crater on January 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Yeah…but Obama claimed that humor was a helpful, healing thing in times such as these, so my response to Obama’s truth of all truths is to redirect all once again to BASKETBALL JONES

“That basketball was…like a basketball to me!”

Obama, Basketball Jones. Oprahesque inanities delivered with such theatricals that everyone goes “ooohhh” but is never actually sure just what he said or why or what it even means.

Lourdes on January 14, 2011 at 7:37 AM