First man in: Herman Cain announces presidential exploratory committee

posted at 6:26 pm on January 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

We already sort of knew this, but now it’s officially official. And thus does the 2012 primary season begin, my friends.

Two important questions now. One: What’s his role in the Arizona shootings? We’re all guilty, apparently; surely there must be an inflammatory soundbite somewhere in the Cain radio oeuvre that the left thinks somehow got beamed into Loughner’s brain. Two: Remind me again, how is he going to compete with Palin and/or Huckabee in Iowa? This PPP poll from yesterday shows the two of them at the top of the pack and each standing to benefit heavily if the other doesn’t run. His conservative credentials may be sterling, but where’s Cain’s entry point into that race?

Comments

Woot!

Inanemergencydial on January 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM

This makes me very happy.

I’d vote for Herman before anyone else at this point in time.

ButterflyDragon on January 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

An exploratory committee does not a campaign make.

steebo77 on January 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Can’t say much for his timing. Otherwise, rotsa ruck.

james23 on January 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

He’ll provide pretty good pro-business cred, but let’s be honest – the usual suspects are going to cry “Uncle Tom” before the ink dries on the FEC forms. Sign of the times.

KingGold on January 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM

If he’s running he gets my vote on Day one. I’ll even back him against Palin.

And that’s saying something.

Trov on January 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Well, greasy – yet delicious – foods, particularly when covered in pepperoni, are known to cause insane people to become, y’know, more insane.

Everybody knows this.

That’s not tomato sauce on Herman Cain’s hands, y’know.

Jeddite on January 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM

This makes me very happy.

I’d vote for Herman before anyone else at this point in time.

ButterflyDragon on January 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

What can you tell me about him? I know almost nothing. What’s his record on taxes and spending?

Caiwyn on January 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I hope he has the same ability to absorb vitriol as Palin. Being a black Republican is almost like being Sarah Palin.

darwin on January 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Sigh. We are going to get people announcing really soon, huh? Can’t they wait 6 months or something :-(

terryannonline on January 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Raaaaaaaaaacist. How dare any mortal being run against a black man (Teh Won) in office.

/s

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on January 12, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Two important questions now. One: What’s his role in the Arizona shootings?

Did Loughner ever EAT a Round Table Pizza?

OMG!!11!!!!

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 6:33 PM

I’m glad Cain made it officially official…

… He will bring a needed voice to the debate.

Seven Percent Solution on January 12, 2011 at 6:33 PM

What’s his role in the Arizona shootings?

I think there might be a Godfather’s in AZ…

*caveat-the use of the term “Godfather” means “Godfather’s Pizza”, a chain of pizza restaurants that Mr. Cain once honchoed. It does not connotate mob activity, nor condone the type of violent activity that the mafia, or other organized crime gangs, who also just may happen to enjoy pizza, participate in.

ted c on January 12, 2011 at 6:33 PM

How is RedState going to handle this? They already endorsed Pence, but now Cain is in?

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM

AP said:

Raising his name recognition, through a year of campaigning there?

Jon0815 on January 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I betcha HC’s COLB says he’s actually 100% bona fide……...American.

you thought I was going to say ‘black’, that’s naughty

ted c on January 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Everybody knows this.

That’s not tomato sauce on Herman Cain’s hands, y’know.

Jeddite on January 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Um, what? *head tilt* Did I miss something?

tickleddragon on January 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Herman Cain. Cain killed his own brother. Cain murdered just like Loughner did. Herman Cain = Loughner.

You have to think in Russian liberal.

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Don’t know who Herman is, but something tells me he’d clobber Barry in the debates. I’m glad the campaigns are starting (glad for me, sad for our country LOL) because it’s been getting boring since the last one.

I bet no one but Obama has the stones to launch his re-election bid by unveiling a new logo and slogan at a memorial service for the Tuscon massacre. He’s an innovator, I’ll give him that.

joe_doufu on January 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM

He’s a complete unknown who has no chance of winning, backed by a few internet cultists.

He’s like the conservative version of Ron Paul.

lutherjw on January 12, 2011 at 6:37 PM

He’s never held ANY political office, he ran for the Senate once.

He’s a journalist and talk show host and a businessman.

No thanks. I prefer my politicians work their way up. He should run for mayor, governor, Congress, THEN talk about the presidency. Pay your dues first.

And people say that Sarah Palin has no experience – geez!

Common Sense on January 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I can’t wait for the first Democrat to criticize him so I can scream RAAAACISM !

NeoKong on January 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM

He’s………………………………………..

Wait for it………………………………….

Uncle Tom

Misguided

Race Traitor

Unauthentically black

Brainwashed

and…………………..

RACIST!

Opposite Day on January 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Cain just needs his own version of “hope & change”

Something like: “large, extra cheese & free”

Jeddite on January 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM

That PPP poll is worthless. Just a rundown of the big names last year. None of the new names could hope to break to the top, voters just don’t know enough about them.

I would like to say, of all the announced candidates he is my top pick so far. (heh)

clement on January 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Oh yeah??? Well OUR black guy is more black than YOUR black guy!!!!/

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Opposite Day on January 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM

You forgot:

House boy

darwin-t on January 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM

He’s got my vote and I really mean that.

Ian on January 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Everybody knows this.

That’s not tomato sauce on Herman Cain’s hands, y’know.

Jeddite on January 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Um, what? *head tilt* Did I miss something?

tickleddragon on January 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Okay, yes I am a moron. Totally forgot the pizza kingpin thing. Sorry. :) (At least I found the pugs in my confusion. That was sheer mins of giggling for me. Thanks for that.)

tickleddragon on January 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM

With a little luck we should have fifty or a hundred candidates by January 2012.

Skandia Recluse on January 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Straaaange things happen in Iowa…

Weight of Glory on January 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Why is everyone hyperventilating? He didn’t announce that he is running. He announced he’s exploring the possibility of running — “testing the waters.”

steebo77 on January 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM

He’s got a long road ahead of him.

But, all the best wishes for him and his brand of common sense as we approach 2012.

coldwarrior on January 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM

If Herman was in the wh NOW we would not be in the gosh horrible mess we are in now. This man has more smarts than bho could get if he was a thousand years old. Herman would have people around him to deal with things other than just our country. I think a great deal of Herman, but I would vote for Sarah if that was the choice. A choice between the two would be hard for me.
L

letget on January 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Get ready for it…

Breaking News:

ABC News is reporting that Herman Cain has announces Presidential exploritory committee…

Seven Percent Solution on January 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM

my folks live in Iowa, and I grew up on Godfather’s Pizza every friday.

every.friday.night.

took me 20 years to get over it.

ted c on January 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM

did he do it yet and is he doing it right now?

ted c on January 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM

You could do worse that voting for Cain. Conservative with a Libertarian streak. Officially angry at “official” Republicans.

shamalama on January 12, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I like Herman but he is unelectable.

BierManVA on January 12, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Common Sense on January

I thought we wanted outsiders

blatantblue on January 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM

That pug thing had my little ones laughing, ok so was I.

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I can’t understand why anyone would object to Cain running. It’s not as though the GOP is overrun with great candidates, folks.

Bugler on January 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM

His timing is kind of off.

Nobody is really paying much attention today.

I know very little about him, but I’m willing to hear his sctick, before I pass judgement.

He’s run a successful business and that’s important, but what is his foreign policy?

It’s hard to warm up to a guy with so little information about him. Skeletons? I hope not.

petunia on January 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Bugler on January 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM

They are afraid of him………

Knucklehead on January 12, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Palin/Cain 2012

ConservativePartyNow on January 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM

You have to think in Russian liberal.

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

capejasmine on January 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Okay now I listened… Problem solver. Yes. He’s funny. How old is he?

It could be a big plus that he is black… it would be nice to have blacks represented by a decent person.

He could throw the minority monopoly of the Democrats out the window.

I hope he wears well.

That is a problem with business folks who run… you get tired of them.

petunia on January 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I thought Neil was running.

This guy looks like a serious canidate. What is his platform?

If he has some good answers for the problems, well then, we are in business.

petunia on January 12, 2011 at 7:11 PM

This guy is the ultimate outsider, he’s not even a politician. Who says that the president has to be a politician? That’s the way it’s always been done and look at where we are. 14 trillion in debt with no end in site.

Why shouldn’t DC be run more like a business? It has serious business to attend to. I’m interested in hearing him out, at the very least. Go for it, I say.

Mord on January 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM

The Narrative is NOT pleased! ಠ_ಠ

From what I have heard the guy is quite conservative, and has a radio show. Supposedly, he also played a notable role in stopping HillaryCare of ’94. Hopefully we can find out more about him earlier rather than later.

In regards to his competitive chances, November 2012 is quite far off.

Samuel Marlowe on January 12, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I don’t know enough about Cain, but I will learn over time.

OT, but earlier today on Hannity, Trump said he’s seriously considering a run as well. He has to wait til June to throw his name in, if he decides to run. So…who knows?

Oh, and as for Cain. He’s a relative unknown right now, but so was Obama, was he not?

capejasmine on January 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

petunia on January 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM

If you are really interested in him, check out some of his background. He did alot more than “run a successful business” he came in as a last resort and saved a business that was going to be written off otherwise.He saved thousands of jobs and it went on to expand. It still makes a profit and is well run after he left, too. He did the same thing for a couple other businesses as well, proving that it wasn’t a fluke, he knows what he’s doing.

Now he does a political talk radio show. You can find plenty of him on Youtube.

Mord on January 12, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Just sent my first contribution.
Have many family members and friends in Georgia.
They speak well of him.

dragondrop on January 12, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Hopefully we can find out more about him earlier rather than later.

In regards to his competitive chances, November 2012 is quite far off.

Samuel Marlowe on January 12, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I suspect you just figured out why he is doing this today. It’s wicked early and the kind of day where only news junkies care.

Mord on January 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Unfortunately, Herman Cain supports the “Fair Tax.”

Emperor Norton on January 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Caiwyn on January 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM

You, me and probably 95% of the people in Iowa.

BowHuntingTexas on January 12, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Cain is the only candidate that comes close to Sarah right now .He says what he thinks and from what I’ve heard on the radio he is considerate but definitely lets his listeners know where he stands.I would love to see him debate romney,huck and newt.

ohiobabe on January 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM

The left told us that anyone on the right not supporting Obama was clearly just a racist, will they apply the same standard to liberals not supporting Herman Cain?

RJL on January 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM

lutherjw on January 12, 2011 at 6:37 PM

First case of CDS (Cain Derangement Syndrome?)

Count It!

massrighty on January 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Anyone who does not vote for Cain for president is a racist. We must shame the liberals of America into doing the right thing. They can either vote for that half-honkey, or the 100% black man. If they choose the half-honkey, we must remind them, and the media, that racism is still alive and well in America.

keep the change on January 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM

His prior experience already shows he’s more “qualified” than Barry ever was. At least as CEO he was accountable for the money he spent.

GarandFan on January 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM

First and foremost…………….what are his positions?

Does he have any executive govt experience?

Just like private-sector job series’s what on your resume shows you could handle the job?

PappyD61 on January 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM

From Wikipedia (yes I know)

In 2006, Cain was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in both his colon and his liver. After surgery and chemotherapy, he has reported that he is cancer free (as of 10 April 2010).[13]

I’m glad he’s apparently cancer free at this point, I like many things he stands for. But anyone who is 65 y/o and has had stage IV cancer is going to have a lot of obstacles to overcome convincing people (even me) to vote for him.

anne on January 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM

From what I have seen and heard, Herman Cain is pretty solid.

He has no record as he has never held political office, so for me at least, it is wait and see.

I applaud his announcement.

DeathB4Tyranny on January 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM

darwin on January 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM

So, what you’re saying is, Sarah Palin is the new black?

manwithblackhat on January 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM

keep the change on January 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Uh, excuse me, please, but I believe the term to use in polite company is “high yellow.”

manwithblackhat on January 12, 2011 at 8:24 PM

One day I heard him sub for Hannity on the radio and I was blown away by his passion and principle. I thought to myself “Who is this incredible man?” I am thrilled that he is running. Were he elected he would be our first black president. Obama is bi-racial. Why do people always forget that Obama is half white? I guess it doesn’t fit in with the whole milestone thingy.

ReneePA on January 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Hmmmm. Let’s see… Herman is intelligent, conservative, indisputably black, a Christian, wealthy, an entrepreneur who has employed thousands and enabled other thousands to achieve their dreams of business ownership, an independent thinker, knowledgeable about American history and the Constitution, well-spoken, likable, a dedicated family man…

I don’t see a snowball’s chance of him getting elected.

But, I’d sure vote for him!

Crusader Rabbit on January 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM

But can he READ words off of a teleprompter?

SouthernGent on January 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I don’t see a snowball’s chance of him getting elected.

But, I’d sure vote for him!

Crusader Rabbit on January 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM

That’s a very good summary of Herman. I have met Herman on a few occasions. He is an intensely engaging individual. I will work on his campaign if he runs.

David in ATL on January 12, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Herman who? from where?

jeanie on January 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM

The Godfather is making us an offer we can’t refuse — 2 single topping pizzas for $10!!!

Good for him, the more the merrier…

Gohawgs on January 13, 2011 at 1:43 AM

This makes me very happy.

ButterflyDragon on January 12, 2011 at 6:30 PM

To have a person that no one’s ever heard of announce an ego-candidacy for President? Pat Paulson must have given you decades of joy.

Jaibones on January 13, 2011 at 6:20 AM

…as for Cain. He’s a relative unknown right now, but so was Obama, was he not?

capejasmine on January 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

No, he was not. He was the most talked-about new Senator in congress, and was known to every Democrat who pays attention to the party convention. Come on.

Jaibones on January 13, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I like Herman but he is unelectable.

BierManVA on January 12, 2011 at 6:52 PM

He is with that kind of attitude.

How exactly do you define electable? Someone the Democrats like?

John Deaux on January 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM

yawn. Let’s see if he makes it through the inevitable media racist skewering. Good grief, can’t we have a moratorium on “Presidential Candidates” until at least Fall?

search4truth on January 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Herman, next time they ask you about your cancer, tell them, “I’m strong as a bull moose!!!” :D

quikstrike98 on January 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM