ABC: Why must Sarah Palin insert herself into this story by defending herself against charges of inspiring murder?

posted at 5:18 pm on January 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

I think it might be time to stop writing about the coverage, not because I’m bored with it or because there’s nothing left to say, but because I simply can’t achieve the Loughnerian dream state required to cope with “the facts.”

Should she have ended her video right after her expression of sympathy? After all, isn’t today about the victims, not the debate? Then again, if she didn’t address the debate swirling around her target map she might just as quickly have been accused of ducking the tough questions.

BOTTOM LINE: Sarah Palin, once again, has found a way to become part of the story. And she may well face further criticism for the timing and scope of her remarks. She is already taking heat for her use of the term “blood libel” (see today’s Tweets). In her video she notes, “President Obama and I may not agree on everything, but I know he would join me in affirming the health of our democratic process.” It remains to be seen exactly what Obama will say tonight, but White House aides say another goal of his address will be to lift the nation up in this moment, not sully it with politics.

A useful research project would be to go back through Twitter’s archives and find out not only which liberals were the first to toss Palin’s name out in connection with the shootings, but precisely how long it took them to do so after the cable nets first broke in with the news. As I recall, people like Kos were pointing to her crosshairs map within minutes; it took EMTs 38 minutes to get Giffords from the scene of the shooting to the operating table at the hospital, which means Palin may well have been “part of the story” before its most famous victim had even been placed on a stretcher. With, to repeat for the umpteen thousandth time, no evidence whatsoever to believe that Loughner had been influenced by her in any way. Four solid days of insane demagoguery about her phantom role in a mass murder, and not a word in her own defense until this morning.

And yet, as I write this, CBS is accusing her of … playing the victim.

Here’s Ace trying to boil all of this down to its rotten core. He doesn’t use the word, but Treacher’s right: The left’s argument here, such as it is, is that Loughner is the victim of voodoo.

But — follow the leftist logic here — Loughner is not a Tea Partier, or a conservative, or even right leaning at all. This proves that not only can our provocations influence our own crazies (which is 60% of us, to hear them talk) but in fact are so potent they can even drive those who don’t listen to us to kill.

Do you see that next argument taking shape? Taking shape? Having taken shape, I should say, past perfect. Krugman and all the rest of them, having called this as a deranged right-winger (and been proven wrong) simply make their argument more all-encompassing. They’re no longer arguing that right-wing invective can have an unbalanacing effect on right-wingers who hear it.

Their new argument is that right-wing invective can have an unbalancing effect on non-right-wingers — left-wingers, even — who don’t hear it.

That’s how insidious this all is. That’s how dangerous this all is. Right wing chatter can now drive left-wingers who don’t even hear it to kill people.

Voodoo, the same way sticking a doll with a pin can inflict pain on someone a thousand miles away. When Palin slapped the crosshairs on Giffords’s district, Loughner somehow just knew and reacted. No proof of real-world cause and effect needed. That’s one of the two big takeaways from the left’s reaction to all this — that in a pinch, if the narrative requires right-wing culpability, magical thinking is acceptable. The other big takeaway actually doesn’t have to do with Palin, even though I think many of her supporters want this story to be mainly about her and how badly she’s been smeared. She has been egregiously smeared, to be sure, but her “role” in the shootings isn’t the grand lie. The grand lie is the left/media professing to care remotely about the “tone of political discourse” while spending four days doing everything it could to make it worse. Instant politicization of a massacre, smear after smear about who’s to blame, total amnesia about their own chill attitude towards the vicious demonization of Bush and his circle for years, and every bit of it surreally accompanied by hand-wringing about improving “the dialogue.” Magical thinking — and yet, supposedly, “reality-based.” That’s where we’re at after four days of stomping on our allegedly fragile national debate.

Update: As usual, even in a post that’s as clearly and overwhelmingly a defense of Palin as this one is, some of her supporters want to accuse me of being unfair to her or her fans. The offending line, supposedly, is “many of her supporters want this story to be mainly about her.” By which, of course, I meant the story of the left’s ridiculous demagoguery over the past four days, not the story of the shootings themselves. My point (and Ace’s point) is that, while Palin has been smeared the worst, the voodoo logic being employed liberals is aimed at delegitimizing all conservatives as their agenda requires, not just her. Thought that was clear, but I guess not.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This is just all so sadly funny.
The left continues to double & triple down on stupid.

Badger40 on January 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM

The real sad thing about this is how many “lifelong conservatives” are going to parrot this line from ABC.

ABC = Anything But Conservatism.

gryphon202 on January 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Pathetic.

Thank you God for the internets. The MSM is out of control and yes LEFTWARDLY biased.

CWforFreedom on January 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Typical BLM abusers: “Look what she made me do!”

Christien on January 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

The blood libel media strikes again.

RedRedRice on January 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

ABC is dead to me.

Ronnie on January 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

If this isn’t enough evidence for a reasonable person to conclude that the political left has gone insane, then there isn’t enough evidence in the universe to support that conclusion.

Skandia Recluse on January 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

“Liberal Media” By George Orwell.

the_nile on January 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Maybe, but Sarah lost major cred with me with that “Surveyor’s Mark” retraction….weak and stupid. Her first major media mis-step. I guess they got her rattled.

pseudonominus on January 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Abject douchbaggery

flyfisher on January 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Great summary, Allah. Your restraint is admirable! This is a week when I am actually glad I do not have my own blog, because I doubt I could have shown such restraint.

rockmom on January 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM

ABC is dead to me.

Ronnie on January 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM

your playing with voodoo /

Electrongod on January 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Trying to apply sane logic to the asylum of leftism is useless, we might as well attempt to herd cats across the great plains while blindfolded.

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I saw this over at the ABC site. It’s so pathetically transparent that it isn’t even selling with their audience. The comments are just brutal. To the folks at ABC News, Sarah Palin’s an abused wife who had it comin’ — cuz she spoke up about being abused. She should have just shut up and taken it. Their knuckles are dragging all over the ground over at ABC.

Rational Thought on January 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

It’s like Rush said about Halperin: it’s like telling a rape victim to just lie back and enjoy it.

Why are you defending yourself? Stop hitting back when I hit you!

John the Libertarian on January 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

It’s a shame I can’t quit watching ABC news all over again.

flyfisher on January 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM

This thing is like Global Warming. It just can’t be proved false. No matter what.

SlaveDog on January 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I’m reminded of the “Bizarro World” that occasionally was the story line in the old Superman comic books when I was a kid. It was supposed to be fiction but I think we’ve arrived there.

sdd on January 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Could this childish felgercarb finally put the nail in the Liberal Media’s coffin? Oops, that’s probably bad imagery I used there…

JamesLee on January 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

“Insert herseld”?

Liberals *made* her part of the story before the first body hit the floor.

Vic on January 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Everyone thought 2008 was the low point of journalism.

Hah.

blatantblue on January 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

That’s just downright unpresidential. If Sarah wants to learn from the master of how to insert oneself into a story, then she should watch Barry’s Big Talk.

Christien on January 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Just so I can get out ahead of canopfor… this.

John the Libertarian on January 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

ABC says: Why are you hitting yourself??? Why are you hitting yourself?

Sarah Palin says: I’m not hitting myself, stupid. You’re hitting me.

ABC says: No we’re not, you stupid teabagger. You’re hitting yourself. Why are you doing that?

/// Did I get the essence of this argument?

mjk on January 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

They were transparently baiting her into a response from moment one. It was transparently obvious this would be the next line of attack once she finally did respond. Didn’t matter if it was this weekend, today, or a month from now.

She showed great restraint, IMO.

stldave on January 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Look – if we are going to win in the arena of ideas we are going to have to expose the LSM for the propagandist charlitains that they are.

What you are seeing right now – is a complete MELTDOWN of the MAIN STREAM MEDIA. Man – this is like a dying RED GIANT collapsing in on itself in final stages of the solar life cycle. The media are catabolizing every ounce of the little credibility they have left.

And it’s something WE NEED!

Palin DOES have VOODOO – but it’s not the kind that influences mass murderers.

It’s the kind that inspires Main Stream whores to commit professional “hara kiri”

HondaV65 on January 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

JamesLee on January 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Absolutely inexcusable! The use of the word “felgercarb” is a bannable offense on this blog!

/doireallyneedasarctag?

gryphon202 on January 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

ABC’s “The Note”?

That is so incoherent, it reads like one of the “notes” Jared Loughner left in his basement safe.

OxyCon on January 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I shall never tire of witnessing proof that Sarah Palin is soooo deeply inside the left’s collective headspace. Comedic and pathetic, all at the same time.

tkinTX on January 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Is it all just the preamble to Obama’s speech?

I think the Left feels the need to set the ball up for him. And by that I don’t mean a golf analogy, I mean Tee-ball. He’s an abject failure when it comes to these kind of speeches, and I think they saw early on that he would eventually need to interject himself, and therefore would need a great deal of aid in framing the subject in order to appear to be addressing some matter of grave national concern.

TexasDan on January 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

ABC once again setting a new LOW standard for “news”.

GarandFan on January 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

:lol Palin did it again…she had to to tell the truth and destroy all the Liberal lies. Just think what would happen when she becomes Prez…;)

dec5 on January 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I gave up on these lunatics over 2 years ago. I’m certainly glad I did.

capejasmine on January 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Liberals *made* her part of the story before the first body hit the floor.
Vic on January 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM

They were waiting for something like this to happen, an idea fed from the first appearance of the Tea Party. It wouldn’t have mattered what the incident was, it could have been some dude smashing his car into a deserted DNC office, the libs still would have used every device at their disposal to tie it to Palin.

Bishop on January 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM

It seems like they were blaming Palin, the Tea Party and right wing opinion in general before the last shell ejected from his gun hit the floor.

And they have the nerve to say *Palin made it about her? If they didn’t (metaphorically) toss the dead and wounded onto her front lawn, she would have done nothing more than extend her condolances at such a tradgedy.

I’m not sure what I’m more in awe of: their colossal balls to say something so rediculous with a straight face, or their ability to dress themselves in the morning if they really believe this nonsence.

DrAllecon on January 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Is it just me, or do any of you think the libs and their fawning media are about to explode? Bat shit crazy I say.

sandee on January 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Here’s the past five days in a nutshell:

Left/Democrats/media: Sarah Palin abuses her children physically. So Sarah – did you stop abusing your children yet?

Palin: Huh…?

Left/Democrats/media: LOOK AT HER – IT’S ALL ABOUT HERE, ISN’T IT? YOU’RE A MURDERER AND A DISGRACE. GET CANCER AND DIE, PALIN.

Good Lt on January 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM

pseudonominus on January 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

There was no retraction. The map isstill there on her FB page. The “Take Back The Twenty” site was for the election. The election was in November. The site was shut down after the election because it was no longer relevant.

So, in other words, Plain lost cred with you because she shut down an election-related site after the election was over. I suspect you relied on some lefty saying she scrubbed the map because of the shooting without actually knowing that it was a lie. That’s weak.

NoNails on January 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM

So it’s time to replace “Barracuda” as the theme song and use “Witchy Woman“?

grym on January 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM

ABC = Absolute Bull Crap

tkinTX on January 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM

The only time I watch any major TV network is CBS when my favorite shows are on: NCIS, BBT, Criminal Minds, Mentalist.
And that is it.
Anything else they have to offer is garbage.
I only get my news from the Internet. And I go to many places.

Badger40 on January 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Why does Sarah Palin dare fight back?

Uppity yokel!

profitsbeard on January 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

The most disturbing aspect of this is:

The crazed psychopathic killer did not make the connection between Palin’s insidiously murderous map and his act of violence but fortunately the “sane” MSM/Left did.

[clicks heels]There’s no place like home…there’s no place like home…there’s no place like home….

munchnstuf on January 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Like I said in another post…the left needs to continue to double down on stupid. They are presenting themselves to be almost as delusional as the shooter in this horrible crime.

I got $10 on the media surpassing the state of delusion of the shooter by Friday.

ramrants on January 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I stopped watching antenna TV as soon as we finally got cable. I’ve never missed it. As of 2008 I gave up my local newspaper because there was no news in it and we had to take it to the dump when we were done with it. It was more hassle that I wanted in my life. I haven’t missed it either.
I guess this is what it is like to watch a political party and the media destroy themselves. We are watching history being made.

BetseyRoss on January 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Hasn’t it been like we fell down a rabbit hole right after Obama was elected and they quickly spent more money than anyone else in the history of mankind.

We live in a rabbit hole now. Nothing is reality based.

I mean if someone had told me a couple of years ago that I would think Glenn Beck was one of the sane ones… but now I do.

Rabbit hole.

petunia on January 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

i wish i could say that the media has jumped the shark…but i don’t think so.

i think this is their MO from now on…they are really pissed about the Nov. election…they are really pissed about the healthcare repeal. they got what they wanted in Obama and their progressive dreams are being threatened.

there used to be a quaint saying that a reporter should never become part of the story. that was in the old days. the progress reporter seez himself as integral to the story. it is thru his or her efforts that opinions are formed…they play a key role, a partner, in governing the country.

they are very pissed about November.

r keller on January 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Everyone thought 2008 was the low point of journalism.

Hah.

blatantblue on January 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM

My thoughts exactly. Now it feels like they were just getting warmed up. I shudder to think what they are going to pull in 2012.

Kataklysmic on January 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

How dare she defend herself!

MCGIRV on January 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Get ready for:

“Unnamed sources in the GOP had wished Palin had waited to respond until _______________.”

“Conservative Political analysts say that the Palin video was ill timed……”

” “Palin does not speak for the Republican party” says one capitol hill Republican…..”

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

As a contrast, what will the clown in chief read from his teleprompter tonite? any guesses?

lukespapa on January 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Maybe ABC can get that Safe Schools Czar to come on the show and demonstrate for them the proper way to insert oneself into a story.

Christien on January 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Another Wellstone memorial brewing? OBAMA COMING TO TUCSON TO CAMPAIGN, NOT SUPPORT MOURNERS! SHAM EXPOSED! SEE THE “TRAGEDY CAMPAIGN” SLOGAN AND…WAIT FOR IT…LOGO!

singer on January 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM

From the comment section there:

odat on January 12, 2011 at 5:39 PM

never type when you are really cold:

the progress reporter seez himself as integral to the story. =

the progressive reporter sees himself as integral to the story.

r keller on January 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Too many years of liberal dogma have left this poor country unable to cope with a tragedy without a proper means of accepting evil for what it is. Sarah Palin has exhibited proper and seldom met leadership.

fourdeucer on January 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Apparently Loghner isn’t the only one living in a state separate from reality.

iceman1960 on January 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I guess it’s against the rules to protect yourself according to ABC. When the media charges you with a crime (in their eyes) and you need to hire lawyers to clear yourself who picks up the cost to do this? This is a tale that was played before the election of the “ONE”. Sixteen lawyers fled to Alaska to dig for the dirt that they just knew was on Sara Palin hands. The msm is brutal, will stop at nothing, and has enough haters of America to finance any lie. Do you really believe the dribble that comes out of the White House?

mixplix on January 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Sarah hit the mark.
I would say she’s pretty smart,
For a dumb bimbo…

Haiku Guy on January 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM

So it’s time to replace “Barracuda” as the theme song and use “Witchy Woman“?

grym on January 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM

That would actually be hilarious, but they probably wouldn’t get it… and think she really…

Oh, never mind. It would be hilarious!

petunia on January 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

He look it’s a youtube video that gathered up all the tweets on twitter who were calling for someone to shoot Palin.

Damn Palin. Why must she insert herself into this conversation!

Vera on January 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

If ever this was called for:
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./…..\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>–

darwin-t on January 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

What we need is a debate on Libel law reform!

ronsfi on January 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

This is becoming psychopathic. I cant believe that quote. I just cant.

swamp_yankee on January 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Christien on January 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Owwie!

JamesLee on January 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

This is at once shocking, but entirely predictable.

When I first found Sarah’s very effective video this morning, I predicted that now she has responded, suddenly the criticism would shift from “hiding in he electronic bubble” to “hogging the spotlight” or “making the story about her”.

Like clockwork, it happens.

F^@*k them all.

Run Sarah, make them choke on their own venom.

Brian1972 on January 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I guess it’s against the rules to protect yourself according to ABC.

Not a shocker there, it’s how they feel about private citizens owning firearms and the Castle Doctrine laws that many states are passing.

JamesLee on January 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM

ABC = Anything But Conservatism.

gryphon202 on January 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM

ABC is the most conservative of the “Big Three.” That’s the good news. The bad news is, ABC is the most conservative of the “Big Three.”

Is this making sense now?

manwithblackhat on January 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM

lukespapa on January 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

“I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother..”

-President Barrack Obama, Public Arizona Memorial

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Dupnik’s Daughter Arrested Twice Since 2004 on Drug Charges

bw222 on January 12, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Anything
But
Coherent

tims472 on January 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Voodoo DooDoo

As in: The Left know Sarah is the real deal are scared doodoo-less about it, and they are in deep doodoo when she runs.

SouthernGent on January 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Attack the woman, then attack her for defending herself. Very nice.

This type of “journalism” ranks up there with my all-time favourite:

There is no truth to the rumour that (insert your rumour here).

With this, you can make up anything and defend yourself, saing that “well, it didn’t turn out to be true, so I wasn’t lying.”

This is similar to the article I read on HotAir recently talking about “don’t think of Elephants.”

With either of these approaches, once put out there, the damage is done. You think there must be something to this rumour and/or you can’t help but think about elephants.

yubley on January 12, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Sarah Palin, once again, has found a way to become part of the story.

Sarah: Hello, is this Smears R Us? Yes, I’d like to order one for myself but it has to be really big so I can insert myself into a mass murder story. I really need the attention, so could you rush my order?

RadClown on January 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM

These people are insane. Do they not realize that people are paying attention to what is going on and how badly they beat up on this woman for the last several days?

Key West Reader on January 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM

T-Paw is on Hannity radio now, trying like hell to be even more complimentary of Sarah Palin.

He must have took some heat from somewhere the last couple of days, because he hasn’t been just walking that puppy back, it is now a full trot in reverse.

He sounded like he was angling for an alliance, even.

Us middle class people against Romney and the blue bloods.

Maybe he thinks Sarah might put him on the VP short list.

Brian1972 on January 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I’ll be performing some voodoo while Barry Soetero is speaking tonight. :-D

SouthernGent on January 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

This is a coordinated attack by liberals (includes the MSM). We are witnessing history. In my lifetime, I have never seen any one person so viciously attacked by democrats and their media outlets.

It was bad enough before this incident, but what we are witnessing goes so far beyond typical liberal hatred. The bitterness and hatred of the left has risen to a level I never knew existed.

BruthaMan on January 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I’ll be performing some voodoo while Barry Soetero is speaking tonight. :-D

SouthernGent on January 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

When the Secret Service knocks on your door within the hour, just remain calm and friendly as you answer their questions.

Offer them coffee.

Brian1972 on January 12, 2011 at 5:51 PM

pseudonominus on January 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Doubtless you’re also a concerned lifelong Republican and Christian who voted for Ronald Reagan 74 times.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM

This is all that needs to be said. If you’ll pardon the expression, Allah, amen.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

BruthaMan on January 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

And she’s not even in office.

the_nile on January 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Translation: How dare she defend herself so eloquently and make us look like the unethical vultures we are!

kingsjester on January 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Wall of Voodoo – Right-wing Radio

Christien on January 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM

darwin-t on January 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

totally cool!

ConservativePartyNow on January 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Neither Palin, Limbaugh, or Beck inserted themselves into this situation, they were dragged through the mud into it, totally without justification and solely for exploitative political purposes by some of the very people who have engaged in the most disgusting and irresponsible hate speech I can recall in half a century. The Yippies and Black Panthers of the 60′s and early 70′s were less inflammatory than current leftist and unionist cadres of the demoncrat party. The things they said and illustrated about Shrub when he was POTUS were frankly illegal–they amounted to more than mere free speech. That, so far as I can see, is where the real irresponsible and inflammatory rhetoric lies. The rhetoric of the left is, if any political rhetoric did, more likely to have influenced Loughren’s unhinging, rather than Limbaugh, Palin, or Beck. There is no indication at all that he ever listened to any of them. His mother is alleged to have found substantial evidence he joined in the rhetoric at DailyKos. So now, who wants to get out and stump for the “unfairness doctrine?”

Ay Uaxe on January 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

After all, she should be content to keep quiet after being smeared by the left-wing press causing liberals to wish death on her.

jdawg on January 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Allah,

that is below the belt even for you.

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

And she’s not even in office.

the_nile on January 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Hmm. they’re attacking a private person, couldn’t that be considered slander and libel??

ConservativePartyNow on January 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Seriously, they were probably waiting on pins and needles for Palin to make a statement, like hungry wolves with prey in their sites. They picked apart every sentence until there was nothing but bone left on the ground. Could she have said anything that wouldn’t have led to this? No. She may as well have gone out there and said she supported the killer and good for him for listening to her. I’m so disgusted with journalists. Thank God for blogs who help us keep our sanity!

scalleywag on January 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM

BruthaMan on January 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM

the clincial term for what you are seeing is insanity.

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM

singer on January 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM
………………..
O.
M.
G.

My disgust for this man/admin knows no bounds.
Just like his heartlessness.

pambi on January 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM

From Ace’s column Category 3:

In the case of Loughner, a tragedy welcomed ghoulishly by the left, leftists have even bigger ambitions in mind than they’ve ever admitted before.

Guns? That’s nothing. Banning guns, or at least a lot of them, is a minor step on the way to a much bigger goal: What they’re seeking to do in the current debate is prohibit any and all expressions of right-leaning political belief.

Said it before, I’ll say it again, the Leftist-Oppresives are overreaching for broke – instead of just criminalizing gun ownership, they want to crimianlize conservative speech and thought.

Chip on January 12, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Allah,
that is below the belt even for you.
unseen on January 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

???????????????????????

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on January 12, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Ace’s series of posts today were truly inspired.

WisRich on January 12, 2011 at 5:58 PM

This is about deflection from Obama.

Obama used the “bring a gun” vitriol. Loughner is a left wing loon (atheist, communist, environmental, etc.)

We stupidly revert to defense, when offense is in order.

faraway on January 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM

MSM today is reminicent of Joseph Goebbels and his Nazi propaganda machine.

bw222 on January 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM

scalleywag on January 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Exactly why Obama and the “Progressives” are trying so hard to shut it down. The truth can’t be hidden with an active blogosphere.Same goes for Fox and talk radio.

sandee on January 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM