ABC: Why must Sarah Palin insert herself into this story by defending herself against charges of inspiring murder?

posted at 5:18 pm on January 12, 2011 by Allahpundit

I think it might be time to stop writing about the coverage, not because I’m bored with it or because there’s nothing left to say, but because I simply can’t achieve the Loughnerian dream state required to cope with “the facts.”

Should she have ended her video right after her expression of sympathy? After all, isn’t today about the victims, not the debate? Then again, if she didn’t address the debate swirling around her target map she might just as quickly have been accused of ducking the tough questions.

BOTTOM LINE: Sarah Palin, once again, has found a way to become part of the story. And she may well face further criticism for the timing and scope of her remarks. She is already taking heat for her use of the term “blood libel” (see today’s Tweets). In her video she notes, “President Obama and I may not agree on everything, but I know he would join me in affirming the health of our democratic process.” It remains to be seen exactly what Obama will say tonight, but White House aides say another goal of his address will be to lift the nation up in this moment, not sully it with politics.

A useful research project would be to go back through Twitter’s archives and find out not only which liberals were the first to toss Palin’s name out in connection with the shootings, but precisely how long it took them to do so after the cable nets first broke in with the news. As I recall, people like Kos were pointing to her crosshairs map within minutes; it took EMTs 38 minutes to get Giffords from the scene of the shooting to the operating table at the hospital, which means Palin may well have been “part of the story” before its most famous victim had even been placed on a stretcher. With, to repeat for the umpteen thousandth time, no evidence whatsoever to believe that Loughner had been influenced by her in any way. Four solid days of insane demagoguery about her phantom role in a mass murder, and not a word in her own defense until this morning.

And yet, as I write this, CBS is accusing her of … playing the victim.

Here’s Ace trying to boil all of this down to its rotten core. He doesn’t use the word, but Treacher’s right: The left’s argument here, such as it is, is that Loughner is the victim of voodoo.

But — follow the leftist logic here — Loughner is not a Tea Partier, or a conservative, or even right leaning at all. This proves that not only can our provocations influence our own crazies (which is 60% of us, to hear them talk) but in fact are so potent they can even drive those who don’t listen to us to kill.

Do you see that next argument taking shape? Taking shape? Having taken shape, I should say, past perfect. Krugman and all the rest of them, having called this as a deranged right-winger (and been proven wrong) simply make their argument more all-encompassing. They’re no longer arguing that right-wing invective can have an unbalanacing effect on right-wingers who hear it.

Their new argument is that right-wing invective can have an unbalancing effect on non-right-wingers — left-wingers, even — who don’t hear it.

That’s how insidious this all is. That’s how dangerous this all is. Right wing chatter can now drive left-wingers who don’t even hear it to kill people.

Voodoo, the same way sticking a doll with a pin can inflict pain on someone a thousand miles away. When Palin slapped the crosshairs on Giffords’s district, Loughner somehow just knew and reacted. No proof of real-world cause and effect needed. That’s one of the two big takeaways from the left’s reaction to all this — that in a pinch, if the narrative requires right-wing culpability, magical thinking is acceptable. The other big takeaway actually doesn’t have to do with Palin, even though I think many of her supporters want this story to be mainly about her and how badly she’s been smeared. She has been egregiously smeared, to be sure, but her “role” in the shootings isn’t the grand lie. The grand lie is the left/media professing to care remotely about the “tone of political discourse” while spending four days doing everything it could to make it worse. Instant politicization of a massacre, smear after smear about who’s to blame, total amnesia about their own chill attitude towards the vicious demonization of Bush and his circle for years, and every bit of it surreally accompanied by hand-wringing about improving “the dialogue.” Magical thinking — and yet, supposedly, “reality-based.” That’s where we’re at after four days of stomping on our allegedly fragile national debate.

Update: As usual, even in a post that’s as clearly and overwhelmingly a defense of Palin as this one is, some of her supporters want to accuse me of being unfair to her or her fans. The offending line, supposedly, is “many of her supporters want this story to be mainly about her.” By which, of course, I meant the story of the left’s ridiculous demagoguery over the past four days, not the story of the shootings themselves. My point (and Ace’s point) is that, while Palin has been smeared the worst, the voodoo logic being employed liberals is aimed at delegitimizing all conservatives as their agenda requires, not just her. Thought that was clear, but I guess not.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 6:24 PM

LOL Thanks for the laugh Fins. I’ve never, repeat never seen so many lefty trolls making comments at HA. And I’ve been reading this blog since its inception. Palin has you morons running so scared you’re in panic mode and I am ROTFL. You clowns wouldn’t be here if her speech weren’t great. You wouldn’t have singled out my comment if it were not true. It trigged further panic in you, so you just had to comment on my comment. Keep it up. I am enjoying every minute of it.

JimP on January 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM

But then AP says that “her supporters want it to be about Palin.” It wasn’t Palin’s supporters who dragged her into it.

As usual, as usual, Palin supporters assume the worst about my intentions. What I meant was, their focus in the media coverage is how unfairly Palin has been treated. Which she has been. But that’s not the “big point” to take away from all this. The unfairness extends to all of us, thanks to the left’s hypocrisy.

Really amazed that anyone could read a post like this, that’s overwhelmingly a defense of Palin, as some sort of aspersion. But then, this isn’t the first time.

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM

It’s always been about the “atmosphere”. And that’s right up there with schizophrenic beliefs about mind control, often based on beliefs of “microwaves” or other electronic means of controlling one’s thoughts from a distance, which lead some to put aluminum foil on their heads, to block out the waves. It sounds funny but it’s not. It’s very sad.

But these aren’t schizophrenic people talking about the effect of the “toxic” atmosphere today. It’s the mainstream, respected names in the business. What can you say to them? There’s nothing you can say to a schizophrenic to give up his belief in mind control via electronic means. In the same way, there’s nothing you can say to these people.

The fact that most of the hate comes from the left has no effect on their theories.

Paul-Cincy on January 12, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Also, the fact that you could claim that I think her supporters dragged her into this in the comments to a post that’s EXPLICITLY about how the LEFT dragged her into this is beyond belief. Some of you barely read the posts.

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Allah,

that is below the belt even for you.

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Untrue.

ladyingray on January 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM

It is true.

I think Most Palin supporters would prefer Palin not be dragged into the “Grand Lie”.

Palin is the face & name used in this “Grand Lie”. The blanket term “Tea party” is to vague for the left. They demonize Palin during this because it works for them.

While Palin takes direct hits on this Arizona shootng from the media & hatemongers on the Left, the “Tea Party” movement are a nameless faceless movement that could be anyone. It doesn’t destroy them as much.

Claiming that Palin supporters WANT to make this more about Palin is ridiculous, and low.

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I’m not seeing the backhand some of you super sensitive ‘Nistas are.

blatantblue on January 12, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Damned if I can either.

katy the mean old lady on January 12, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Todd: “She feels like the media is blaming her for the murders in Tucson”

Chris Matthews, emphatically: “NO ONE IS SAYING THAT”

I know there’s a term for people in this kind of denial.

Rovin on January 12, 2011 at 7:13 PM

its the new global warming

rob verdi on January 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM

If I understand, what AP is saying is Palin supporters want the political story to be mostly about how she’s being smeared. As a Palinista, that’s what I want. I mean, that IS the story. A side story is that right wing rhetoric causes violence. So I see what AP is saying.

Paul-Cincy on January 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM

The left’s newest powergrab is taking on water and sinking fast, like drowning rats they are biting and kicking out at everyone that opposes them.
Palin and Bush are responsible for anything and everything that opposes their agenda, actually they kinda remind me of the Keystone Kops running around and into each other like they are actually doing something.
I was in my early 20′s in the 60′s and all this crap is just a rerun, they keep trying the same thing expecting a different result. THEY ARE JUST AS STUPID TO-DAY AS THEY WERE THEN.
I love Clyburn’s saying that Palin wasn’t Intellectual enough????
Didn’t he say if we put more military on Guam it would tip over??? DDUUHH

concernedsenior on January 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM

But it’s beginning.
Tucson Tea Party Leader Says Threats Are Keeping Him Away From Obama Rally

Knucklehead on January 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I wonder where?

Grow Fins on January 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I still don’t get the nazi reference.

BuckeyeSam on January 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM

The unfairness extends to all of us, thanks to the left’s hypocrisy.

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM

If true, Sarah is the one taking the heat for all of us.

Paul-Cincy on January 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I’m not necessarily a strong Palin supporter; but I think it was imperative she “insert” herself into this discussion. She exhibited the first (and so far only) hint of leadership and maturity amongst all the lunacy. Just as importantly, her words defended the millions who have been slighted by the media bias surrounding this tragedy.

I’ll say it again – good on her.

dugan on January 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

But it’s beginning.
Tucson Tea Party Leader Says Threats Are Keeping Him Away From Obama Rally

Knucklehead on January 12, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Dear God. This thing is getting out of control.

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I added an update to try to clarify. Doubt it’ll do any good to the people who want to believe I’m forever being unfair.

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Maybe, but Sarah lost major cred with me with that “Surveyor’s Mark” retraction….weak and stupid. Her first major media mis-step. I guess they got her rattled.
pseudonominus on January 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I thought the same thing at first but then I softened. I don’t expect perfection when someone is falsely accused of murder out of the clear blue sky. Still a miss step but meh. She made up for it with her statement today.

oddjob1138 on January 12, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I edited it to take out your whining about being called out.

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Palin may not be able to sue them because she’s a public figure, but I can send letters to their sponsors telling them that support of ABC is, in my opinion, support of vicious libel and rank dishonesty, and I won’t support the people who support them.

And that goes for the NYT, the paper of false record, and… I have a long list to make.

This is all so disgusting, I sincerely hope there are enough “honest liberals” to trigger some kind of reform here, or marginalization, it just doesn’t seem that way so far.

Merovign on January 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I edited it to take out your whining about being called out.

My whining about being called out, in bad faith, for a line that should have abundantly clear to anyone willing to read this passionate defense of Palin with an even remotely fair eye?

Thanks much for editing out my “whining.”

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM

CK nailed it tonight on Special Report when he noted that the focus on Palin’s choice of words, ‘blood libel’, has overtaken the entire discussion of the mass murder, and how bankrupt this shows the debate to be.

Palin lives rent free in their heads. And she plays them like a fiddle.

“Blood libel” is the new “death panels.” Go, Sarah!

petefrt on January 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM

That isn’t it at all. And I have no idea why you are playing the victim. as you state: The left decided to use this as an attempt “at delegitimizing all conservatives as their agenda requires” which is true, and I agree.

However, they specifically targeted Gov Palin for this attempt to give a “face” to their attempt at “delegitimizing” conservatives. Thus they made the defense of Palin the cornerstone on which their attack works or not. The left set the parameters not Palin’s supporters.

If we do not defend Gov Palin and allow their blood libel to succeed they will simply change targets next time.

We supporters do not want Palin to be the heart of the story. The attacks by the left “require” her to be the main thrust of this libel.

And you are failing to understand that point.

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Ok Michelle Malkin says it is true that there are t-shirts printed with Obamas’ new logo “together we thrive Tuscon and America”? is this some kind of joke? T-shirts? This is worse then the Wellstone funeral.

sandee on January 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM

And you are failing to understand that point.

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM

One more point allah. No matter who the left picked for this blood libel be it Rush or Mitt or huck or Bush I would be defending that person and his/her supporters because this is an attack within an attack. failure to defned the person targeted by this type of blood libel is to admit that it works.

hell i would even defend Pres. Obama against this type of smear.

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Merovign on January 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM

It is. I can’t ever recall feeling so utterly disgusted with seeing something, as I am with what the left has done in the past few days.

I’ve always had a distrust of the left, but this incident has spurned the most incredible hatred I’ve ever felt for anything in my life.

It’s as if the media is intentionally provoking a civil war within this country. I’m really surprised nothing “substantial” has come out of this yet. Maybe that’s their objective.

BruthaMan on January 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Thanks much for editing out my “whining.”

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM

No problem.

portlandon on January 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Does anyone recall the gunman who stormed the Discovery Channel HQ building last September? The MSM/establishment Left immediately started yapping that the guy must be a crazy Tea Partier Global Warming Denier who hated environmentalists. The yapped for days until it was revealed the guy was a LEFTIST loon who was angry that the Discovery Channel hadn’t done ENOUGH to promote global warming!!

Almost all examples of political violence and hate in the last several decades has been Leftist generated. Heck, JFK was killed by a Communist and his brother was killed by a Socialist Palestinian terrorist.

EasyEight on January 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM

test

Cindy Cooper on January 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Just saw a clip of Chris Matthews today saying we can’t exonerate Palin or right yet because we don’t have all the facts.

Awful

Cindy Cooper on January 12, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I sincerely hope there are enough “honest liberals” (unicorns, chupacabras, nessies, logical points made by GrowFins) to trigger some kind of reform here, or marginalization, it just doesn’t seem that way so far.

Merovign on January 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Sorry, no such thing as an honest lib; but you knew that already. I just added a few more unseen things.

massrighty on January 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM

You could call it a natural Palin-defense mode AP, (APPPS, AP-Palin Post Syndrome). I believe most did understand your “defensive posture”, yet you’d most likely be thrown up on a cross had you actually said something negative about her latest ordeal.

I did see that our lefty loony Chris Matthews is besides himself because Palin used the term “blood libel” while denying anyone is placing the blame of the murders on Palin. I guess Matthew’s doesn’t read the New York Times, or has been living in a cave for the past four days.

Rovin on January 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Rovin on January 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Chris Matthews REALLY can’t stand strong conservative women, especially good-looking ones.

Paul-Cincy on January 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM

sandee on January 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM

WTH? And I stopped myself earlier from making a remark about him having the Greek pillars shipped to AZ for this speech because I thought it would be in poor taste.

President Toonce’s has no shame.

Shiny_Tiara on January 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Thanks, AP. I think your blog post is right on the money.

Tennman on January 12, 2011 at 8:11 PM

The LAMESTREAM PRESS is infected with the same affliction that the left wing myrmidons have. It’s called mental disease. That mental disease also makes them MENTAL MIDGETS. My Dad always told me that you can’t argue with a sick mind and this has been shown to be true and typical. Rep Clyburn and the other Congress Critters that appeared on Katie Pukes evening Pravda show illustrated their COMPLETE IDIOCY for the entire country to see.

hamradio on January 12, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM

For what it’s worth, I think you hit the perfect tone here. I mean pitch perfect.

As for “Palin’s fans” jumping on you, past is prologue. You have a long history. Some folks will take that into consideration as they read ANYTHING you say about her.

Not saying it’s right or fair, but life ain’t fair!

gary4205 on January 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Lets not forget that Gov. Palin is not the first to call what is going on a ‘blood libel’.

On 10 JAN 2011 there was Glenn Reynolds calling what the Left and MFM was doing just that.

Today Alan Dershowitz addresses the matter and not only puts it into perspective but puts forth a defense of Gov. Palin.

The Left is having a problem when the moderate liberal and even moderate Left starts to peel away from the talking points and the agenda driven rhetoric. The vitriol is becoming an acid eating into that portion of the ideological spectrum… and the hard Left is having problems dealing with the fact that their Alternate Reality ‘Real World Community’ is in no way connected to the actual, physical reality they wish to mold to their desires. The talking points just don’t fit the facts, they don’t even exist in any version of reality in any way, shape or form.

ajacksonian on January 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Palin had a right to defend herself. I’m just wondering, though, if it might have been better to just make a statement, (if she had to make one at all), that she was heartbroken about what happened and her thoughts and prayers were with the families and leave it at that…take the high road, if you will. But hey, at least she’s not out holding a political rally/memorial speech like Mr. President.

scalleywag on January 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Geez, I thought all the points made above were good ones, seems like people are reading a lot more into what was written than was actually written.

scalleywag on January 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I don’t recall, did Mr. President go to Ft. Hood and give a speech? At a local university? Full of students?

scalleywag on January 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

scalleywag on January 12, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Nah there was no need for a speech at Fort Hood. It was just a bunch of soldiers and their family members targeted. /s/

The whole affair, from the actual act by the shooter to the handling of the story by the “media”, just proves there is too much evil in the world.

SPIFF1669 on January 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM

The lame stream media brought Palin into it. She should have just ignored their dumb asses!

Eyvonne on January 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Jan. 8: Giffords drives herself to the Safeway and arrives at 10 a.m.
10:00 a.m.– Town hall meeting begins.
10:10 a.m. — Gunman opens fire.
10:11 a.m. — First 911 call is received
10:19 a.m. — 6-member rescue crew arrives.
10:22 a.m. — Suspect in police custody.
10:24 a.m. — Wounded victims removed from the scene.
11 a.m.: Giffords, who was shot in the head, is rushed to Tucson’s University Medical Center,

Palin reloads, aims for Giffords – Arizona Daily Wildcat – Perspectives
11:18 AM Jan 8th via Tweet Button Retweeted by 27 people
tinadupuy
Tina Dupuy

Mission accomplished, Sarah Palin,
11:19 AM Jan 8th via TweetDeck Retweeted by 100+ people
markos
Markos Moulitsas

within 19 minutes the left Daily Kos had already blamed Palin for the shooting.

DSchoen on January 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

DSchoen on January 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Good summation. Someone on a blog sympathetic to Palin could make an article out of that kind of hard data.

slickwillie2001 on January 13, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Allahpundit on January 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM

People mistake you for an elitist. That is wrong. You aren’t elitist, you’re a snob. ;)

All kidding aside, this Palin supporter saw no aspersion. As a long time reader, I think your reputation as an Eeyore and the fact that you are not really sold on any candidate for the GOP nomination yet has a lot of folks spooked. Your reputation for automatically discounting anyone with an accent and idiom that is “folksy” or “rustic” doesn’t help. Your discounting of anyone you deem to be “populist” is another strike against you in many people’s eyes. The idea that someone can combine “populist” views with “management” capabilities never seems to occur to you.

So the distrust many Palin supporters have for you is easy to understand. I guess you should take Krauthammer’s advice and just lie back and enjoy it.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on January 13, 2011 at 2:22 AM

If you had said, “Palin wants this story to be mainly about her,” it would definitely have been taken as a negative comment, that Palin was some sort of narcissist or publicity hound. Instead, you said, “many of her supporters want this.”

I frankly don’t see how you would expect the mythical “fair-minded person” to see this as anything but a negative statement. Which is a pity, because it’s the only part of your entire post that seems unjustifiably negative.

But I really believe your intent was simply to focus on the “big picture,” that the big story was more about the hypocritical attempt to score political points against the right by accusing them of “overheated rhetoric,” as if their own demagoguery weren’t a better example of said overheated rhetoric.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 13, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Today’s Take-Away by Ace

MEDIA: Sarah Palin directly and knowingly caused the murders of six innocent human beings.

PALIN: No, I didn’t.

MEDIA: Stop making it all about you!!! This is about the people who were shot!!!

Saw this on Ace.

Geochelone on January 13, 2011 at 5:40 AM

The irony and hypocracy is the left dragging her into the story and through the mud then complaining when she comments about the tragedy. But we expect that of the left, it is the RINOs who pile on for their own political gain that is disturbing. The RINOs do not seem to understand that, in this instance, defending Palin has nothing to do with suppporting Palin for President. She has become a symbol for defending our freedoms and the RINOs better wake up to it, because if we lose this debate, we all lose.

Done That on January 13, 2011 at 5:42 AM

DSchoen on January 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Don’t stop beating that drum. The leftists removed their mask. Everyone needs to see this ghoulishness.

Inanemergencydial on January 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Not saying it’s right or fair, but life ain’t fair!

gary4205 on January 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM

It is both right and fair. AP’s obvious disdain for Palin colors everything he writes. If he doesn’t wish to outright destroy her, he at least gets a chuckle out of belittling her. That history marks him and yet he’s surprised that people don’t trust his defense of her? Puhleeze!

Extrafishy on January 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM

BLOOD LIBEL“…………..this years version of “DEATH PANELS”!!

Short, sweet, effective and truthful.

We have a new description for the MEDIA,

“BLOOD LIBEL MEDIA”.

PappyD61 on January 13, 2011 at 1:19 PM

yeah, how tasteles is it to give out t-shirts and make a ralley out of his incident. Palin has been involuntarily dragged into it, through no action of her own, no more than I am involved in a car accident that happened an hour ago across town from me.

I bet if the assailant had gotten layed, he’d probably not have been such a jerk.

johnnyU on January 13, 2011 at 1:29 PM

So instead of saying that Palin supporters wanted Palin smeared, you’re saying that Palin fans believe the current story about the left’s actions should be centered about how Palin was smeared.

THAT’S JUST AS BAD!!!!

Just WOW!!!

MrX on January 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Sara used Cross-hairs as political imagery.
This is unacceptable in American politics. Anyone who does so is not a serious candidate for leadership.
As you may know I refuse to be identified with anything as simplistic as Left versus Right.
But I tell you this:
George Bush wouldn’t have done it.
Ronald Regan wouldn’t have done it.
President Kennedy wouldn’t have done it.

Thank you Sara for revealing yourself. Now you can go the way of the Patrick Buchanan or Eldridge Cleaver, a colorful speak with no real leadership potential.

Observation on January 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM

No surprise with crap like this from ABC. I read Sarah’s post and I think it was very level-headed and well thought out. I greatly admire Krauthammer, but he is wrong on this as he is about most of his Palin opinions.

woodNfish on January 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM

And you are failing to understand that point.

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM

No, he isn’t, as he spelled out clearly here. He’s the one not being understood, and he’s right to say that those not understanding simply don’t want to. So many of you assume the worst about him when it comes to Palin and I don’t even get why you come here.

Esthier on January 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM

And you are failing to understand that point.

unseen on January 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Esthier on January 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Let’s go to the actual words in question, which just so happen to be at the top of this very page, and just before the comments begin.

Now, that’s only a small part of what he said, and I agree with most of what he said, but read that one sentence above with an honest eye and you’ll have to admit that it says Palin’s supporters want the story to be about Palin. That’s kind of a slap in the face, since it implies that Palin’s fans don’t care about the people who died, or the shameless rhetoric of the left, or their rank hypocrisy in mouthing platitudes about “civil discourse” while they do the exact opposite.

And my point here is not, “AP is evil” or “AP hates Palin,” or even “AP just can’t help himself.” My point is just that it makes no sense to complain about being misunderstood if it was your own statement that caused it.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM