Clyburn: Reading the Constitution provoked murder spree in Tucson, or something; Update: Referring to Birther outburst?

posted at 2:55 pm on January 10, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

In the race to see which politico makes the biggest ass out of himself over the shooting spree in Tucson, Arizona, we can report that so far the frontrunners appear to be Rep. James Clyburn of South Carolina and former Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, both Democrats.  In a rambling interview on the radio with Ed Schultz, Clyburn complains about people attempting to “delegitimize the President” and suggested that the reading of the Constitution in Congress last week had something to do with the shooting.  Real Clear Politics has the audio [see update II]:

“All [of] this stuff taking place in the Chambers the other day, when the Constitution was being read — all that stuff is uncalled for,” Rep. Clyburn (D-SC) told the Ed Schultz radio program.

Clyburn says there may be a “direct link” between Sharron Angle’s “Second Amendment remedies” comment and the reading of the Constitution with the attempted murder of Congresswoman Gabby Giffords over the weekend.

Of course, no one has ever heard the Constitution without committing a murder spree, so obviously Clyburn is on the right track here.  As far as “All that stuff about delegitimizing the President of the United States, that was uncalled for,” one may wonder whether Clyburn was as particular about that in 2001 as he is in 2011.  Wonder no longer:

The November election points to serious problems in our voting process in America.  We consider ourselves the premiere democracy in the world and expect other nations to emulate our example.  Our government sends officials overseas to “monitor” elections to insure their veracity.  And yet, the 2000 election in America will go down in history as one so rife with errors that the true outcome will remain forever in question.

Unfortunately for Clyburn, Kerrey is making a strong run for the championship himself, as RCP again captures.  Kerrey says that the perp was “mentally ill and deeply troubled,” and therefore Kerrey said he would demur from making too much of his political beliefs — right after Kerrey announces that the attack was motivated by the upcoming vote to repeal ObamaCare.  Click the image to watch the clip from today’s Imus show:

Tomorrow they were going to vote to repeal this health care bill — and it’s not going to go anywhere in the Senate — it’s one of the reasons that this guy was angry and pretty obvious that he is, at least from me, where I sit that he’s mentally ill and deeply troubled.  I wouldn’t make too much of whatever his political views are.

Aaaaaaaand Kerrey knows that … how?  Does Kerrey have any evidence — any at all — that Loughner supported or opposed ObamaCare?  Or that he gave a tinker’s damn about Congressional procedure or symbolic votes?  No, but then again, Kerrey seems to have based his viewpoint on the same source that the media has used to claim that Loughner’s attack came from “heated rhetoric,” which is the collective nether regions of those who pine for attention.

Let’s hope that Clyburn and Kerrey remain the frontrunners for this prize, and that future contenders think twice before qualifying for the award.

Update: Clyburn is from South Carolina, not North Carolina.  My apologies for the error.

Update II: Radley Balko of Reason says on Twitter that Clyburn was talking about the Birther outburst during the reading of the Constitution and not the Constitution itself.  The audio clip at RCP doesn’t have Clyburn mentioning that, but that intent makes some sense in the context of what Clyburn said.  It’s still a stupid thing to say — claiming that a Birther outburst caused Loughner to commit mass murder and attempt to kill Giffords is every bit as absurd as claiming that a crosshair on a political website did it — but it’s important to get Clyburn’s intent correct.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He talks real good too don’t he now? I wonder if you asked him to elaborate as to what “stuff” he was talking about would he look down at the floor and say “oh looky…something shiny”!

sicoit on January 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM

The thing that bothers me is that the left is spinning out of control on this one. The facts are in about the killer and yet they are lashing out in all directions. Some explanations, like Clyburn’s, don’t even make sense but they must persist in the narrative- that this is the fault of conservatives. They don’t seem to be backing down as of yet.

I don’t know what to expect, but I don’t trust this.

xax on January 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM

The liberals are out in force on Facebook, clucking over a graphic presented showing that Loughner was a registered Republican. Anybody know if this is true?

JannyMae on January 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Faked with a capital F.

dmh0667 on January 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I don’t understand why nobody is telling these idiots to shut the hell up, no wonder our country is going to crap. Look at the people who are supposed to be in charge. Everything that drips from their lips is either BS or insanity. Guam is going to tip over, there is a flag on Mars, Shara Palin is the master-brain behind a mass-murderer, the list just goes on and on, and these two morons just added to it. Why Ed Schultz is even relevant is beyond me, they guy is nothing but a blowfish. But I guess the crazies need a place to vent too. Once again they have managed to take something that needs to be delete with in a mature and adult manner and made it into a three ring circus.

nwpammy on January 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Democrat Logic:

Alright, now what do we know about fishsticks?

They’re breaded, they’re fried, they’re frozen. Then under me we have rapper, genius. And gay fish are homosexual. They swim. [begins connecting words] Is it because breaded has something to do with genius? Which swims?

darclon on January 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Liberals = doubling and tripling down on idiocy.

I know I shouldn’t shocked by these complete demagogic clowns on the Left, but I have to admit I am still amazed at how totally and shrilly they lost their minds in the interest of demonizing conservatives this weekend, without even an ounce of caution or judgment.

Edouard on January 10, 2011 at 3:41 PM

dmh0667 on January 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Thanks! I suspected as much!

JannyMae on January 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM

JannyMae on January 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM

That was out early this morning – I read someone made it up someone put up a link and said people could check for themselves he is registered Independent.

This must be the radical middle that Tom Friedman likes to go on about. He was a guest on Imus. He was talking trash about Independents after the Mid Terms election, because we shifted to the right.

Dr Evil on January 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM

“We need safer weapons and safer bullets”

Joycelin Elders…under Bill Clinton…Hillary should not comment this time around.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Too Late

mizflame98 on January 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM

and made it into a three ring circus.

nwpammy on January 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Clowns jumping out of clown cars. What elso do you expect?

NJ Red on January 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Jared Lee Loughner is registered as an independent and last voted in the 2008

Doug Ross has a summary of information from various sources around the ‘net about the nutjob Jared Lee Loughner. On twitter, left wing nut jobs are passing around a photoshopped image of Loughner’s voting information. Of course, the only way one would obtain access to this information directly from the Secretary of State’s site would be if they had Loughner’s voter ID number or driver’s license number. As you would expect, the photoshopped image being circulated claims Loughner is registered as a Republican. Sadly for the left, their little lie has been exposed. Jared Lee Loughner is a registered independent, and hasn’t voted since 2008. This information was posted by Doug Ross (linked above), who quoted an Arizona newspaper. I trust the newspaper more than I do some pathetic attempt at photoshop by the left wing fringe.

Dr Evil on January 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM

JannyMae on January 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM

From what I understand, the registration shows the wrong district and spells his name wrong. He is, supposedly, a registered, Independent.

Vince on January 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Does this guy have two brain cells that work in tandem?

belad on January 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Unfortunately not. They are joined by a spirochete.

txdoc on January 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM

When are they going to notice this guy was more one of theirs than one of ours?

Alana on January 10, 2011 at 3:19 PM

They know it, they’re just running the playbook – with the help of the media – and that’a all there is to it.

Midas on January 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM

reliapundit on January 10, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Didn’t you get the memo from Al “ManBearPig” Gore? Its climate change now. Global Warming is so 2001.

Wolftech on January 10, 2011 at 3:49 PM

This was not an act of politics. This was an act of a mentally disturbed young man hell bent on getting his 15 minutes of infamy. The Pima County Sheriff’s Department was aware of his violent nature and they failed to act appropriately. This tragedy leads right back to Sheriff Dupnik and all the spin in the world is not going to change that fact.

Sorry, OT, but Instapundit picked this up from Cholla’s blog.

Wethal on January 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I actually think this is right on topic.

It was the Sheriff that first said it was Palin’s fault.

The same sheriff who didn’t do his job and protect the public from this crazy, violent monster.

The Sheriff successfully got everyone to talk about “political rhetoric” rather than that he is the one who failed.

This Sheriff failed in his job and pointed the finger at anyone he could think of.

And the left-wingers (whose company Gifford pointedly avoided) grabbed the relay-stick, because they see it as in their best interest to smear the reputations of the innocent.

petunia on January 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I’ll bet the shooter had little or no religious training.

Let’s blame the shooting on that! It would be closer to the truth.

The Rock on January 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Dr Evil on January 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Its a better Photoshop job than 0bama’s Birth Certificate picture :)

/s

Wolftech on January 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Former SEAL and Sen. Bob Kerrey is a Medal of Honor recipient so I will cut him a little slack here, but only a little.

Clyburn otoh is a turd who will lie and politicize anything.

GnuBreed on January 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Every pollster has this info. It is not private at all. I don’t do AZ, but I have EVERY registered voters’ info in LA/MS because I do polling.

I have the name, address, phone, party affiliation, race, last 3 times they voted and much more. I pay for the information, but both the Dems and GOP buy the data nationally and provide it free to the candidates by the area they are running in.

barnone on January 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Dr Evil on January 10, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Hmmm, I never thought I’d agree with Friedman. The radical middle is very dangerous.

petunia on January 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Maybe we should discuss “define nuts”.

The race card is just below the surface with these clowns.

tarpon on January 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Didn’t Gifford read it herself too?

the_nile on January 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM

It is my understanding that people volunteered to participate in the reading and it was set up as a first come first serve reading. She read the 1st Amendment which tells you she was one of the first in line to do so.

mizflame98 on January 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Just wondering why atheism is never blamed for anything?

mankai on January 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

This Sheriff failed in his job and pointed the finger at anyone he could think of…
petunia on January 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Great point. If things are so dangerous for the people’s representatives in his jurisdiction, why didn’t he have protection for her?

The Sheriff is either making it up now or neglected his duty before.

barnone on January 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

There are vermifuges for parasites.
Why can’t science develop an
Idiotfuge?

OkieDoc on January 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Brilliant. Loved it. Thank you.

Schadenfreude on January 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Clyburn otoh is a turd who will lie and politicize anything.

GnuBreed on January 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Just because he’s a former SEAL and a MoH recipient, that doesn’t immune him from being criticized for saying something stupid.

mizflame98 on January 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Is it really possible that:
1)someone can be this stupid, and,
2)actually say something like this without realizing how imbecilic it is, and,
3)that individuals like Clyburn continue to get re-elected?

Dopenstrange on January 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

It really didn’t take long for these despicable sewer rats to politicize this terrible tragedy. My prayers go out to all those affected by this senseless act.

rjoco1 on January 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM

petunia on January 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Unfortunately, I wonder if the sheriff’s records will be “misplaced,” as were the records on Eric Hansen in the local police department after Columbine.

Wethal on January 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM

mizflame98 on January 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM

That is interesting. I watched the news program thing on this last night & from how they described her, I could probably realyl like her.
Some of her ideas may not mesh with mine, but she sounds like a Dem you could debate with.
Course I guess I don’t really know for sure.

This Clyburn fellow, he is base on with the intelligence of that Congressman who thought Guam was tipping over, who was that? I know that other guy was black. Oh I am so racist!
You know, I laugh when I hear this stuff. But insde, part of me cries bcs I cannot believe how much society has bought into this insane way of thinking.
I am just sad for my country.

Badger40 on January 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Clyburn otoh is a turd who will lie and politicize anything.

GnuBreed on January 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

That is racist and dangerously dangerous rhetoric. Please calm down. People on both sides of the aisle MUST observe restraint. There must be a law against such speech.

antisocial on January 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM

The sad thing about this pathetic old hack is that when fellow Dem John Lewis, a veteran of the civil rights campaign, read out the Thirteenth Amendment, everyone applauded Lewis.

That was a moment to be proud of and a CSPAN clip to show schoolchildren: on the floor of the House a black Congressman from Georgia reading out the amendment that banned slavery.

Wethal on January 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM

mizflame98 on January 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I’m not absolving him, but other than trying to tie Loughner’s acts to OCare he was saying to not politicize this. I would love to see Kerrey retract the OCare tie-in as thoughtless and wrong.

It probably won’t happen though. Sigh.

GnuBreed on January 10, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Instead of getting hot and bothered about this, I suggest we just let the Left`s fever run it`s course.

ThePrez on January 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

A brief moment of levity is just what I needed.

Keep up the good work on this Ed. You have risen to the occasion.

Geochelone on January 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Imus and Howard Stern are on the satellite radio channel, at the same time. All they do all day long is interview each other, say “nappy headed ho’s” and watch midget sex videos.

BobMbx on January 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Satellite radio? I thought that was C-Span…?

Dopenstrange on January 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM

petunia on January 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Follow this link a see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

We need to dig into this. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Geochelone on January 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Dr Evil on January 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Its a better Photoshop job than 0bama’s Birth Certificate picture :)

/s

Wolftech on January 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I have been informed there is one out there showing Jared Loughner was a registered Democrat…The Left doesn’t get that photo shopping isn’t an exclusive past time.

Dr Evil on January 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM

petunia on January 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I thought that was obvious, I am Evil after all ;)

Dr Evil on January 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Let’s be honest and fair. The Tucson Killer was 1 a Marxist 2 a Truther 3 a totally schizophrenic lefty. Adding this all together and we get LEFT WING LOON. Therefore it is only natural, in this Alice-in-Wonderland scenario, to blame Sarah Palin and the Tea Party (but also don’t forget Bush).

MaiDee on January 10, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Sheila Jackson-Lee got to read (she can read?) one of the Amendments, like the 4th or 5th, I can’t remember. I guess she is guilty of provoking Loughner as well?

slickwillie2001 on January 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

The victims aren’t even people to these scumbags.

Just props.

May God have mercy on their souls…if they even have them.

SuperCool on January 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Somehow someway, the media whores will figure out a way to add global warming into the mix with this tragedy. That’s about the only ingredient missing from their bag of bullshit so far.

Keemo on January 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I’d say there is one brain cell involved, and all these dimbulb democrats take turns sharing it.

capejasmine on January 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I originally thought of that, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt…guess I was wrong!

belad on January 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM

slickwillie2001 on January 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Another racist black person… Jeez, a dime a dozen these people.

Keemo on January 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Clyburn otoh is a turd who will lie and politicize anything.

GnuBreed on January 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Clyburn otoh is a turd who will lie and politicize anything.

FIFY!

belad on January 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Vince on January 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM

No, there’s more than one version floating around, but all are fake.

JannyMae on January 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I’m not surprised at Clyburn, he’s a moron. But even though Kerrey is borderline moron, you have to wonder if some aide who is angry with him gave him this completely false info..”Tomorrow they were going to vote to repeal this health care bill — and it’s not going to go anywhere in the Senate — it’s one of the reasons that this guy was angry..”
I have several acquaintances who worked in DC and they all said you never make your staff members unhappy or angry. They can make you look like more of a fool than you already are.

Deanna on January 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Vince on January 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM

And it also spelled the name of the city wrong-they spelled it “TUSCON”.

Public Education at its finest, folks!

Del Dolemonte on January 10, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Repeat a lie often enough and people will believe it.

Liberals have started their anti-Tea Party, anti-Sarah Palin and anti-Republican narrative and they’re going to keep flogging it for as long as they can so that as many people as possible get the idea in their head that it’s true- regardless of how many facts contradict it.

Get the “information” out there as early and as often as possible to influence the greatest number of people (while they’re paying attention to the big story of the day). Add in a largely complicit media that won’t question the lies being spewed and you have a very effective method of smearing your political opponents.

Even UK papers like the Daily Mail are still running an anti-Palin, anti-conservative story.

It’s despicable, disgusting and shameless- but they’ll keep doing it for as long as they can get away with it.

Jay Mac on January 10, 2011 at 4:52 PM

No no no, Ed. There can only be one clear winner, and his name is David Brock.

On Beck’s radio show, he and Palin jovially mocked my concern. For seven minutes on air, the pair joked about my plea to tone down the rhetoric. Beck said it was “laughable,” “sad,” and compared me to the “smelly kid in third grade.” Palin giggled and said I was “silly” and that my argument was “pathetic” and “desperate” before ultimately concluding, “I stand with you, Glenn.”

That’s enough to send anyone over the edge.

MNHawk on January 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Didn’t get the name but someone being interviewed on the radio said that this hate goes back to the Kennedy assassinations in the 60′s. He even claimed that Oswald and Sirhan belonged to the right wing.

chemman on January 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM

These are the people in charge of running our govt. We are toast.

Kissmygrits on January 10, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Keemo on January 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM

The cold snap in southern Arizona froze his neurons and made him shoot at the first politician he found.

chemman on January 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

If you listen more closely to the audio (and or review the text again) Clyburn says:

I believe he’s referring to the birther’s heckling outburst during the reading of the section outlining the prerequisites of being POTUS. As much as I don’t care for Clyburn, I don’t believe he meant the reading of the Constitution provoked this atrocity.

pfamis on January 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Have I missed people on our side going on air to defend the 50% of us out here who are not the murderers or loons they’re claiming us to be?

silvernana on January 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

txdoc on January 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Now that is down right bad. :)

chemman on January 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I really hope racist Jim Clyburn needs my help one day. You have NO IDEA.

SouthernGent on January 10, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Heh. Good thing for Clyburn that there’s no IQ test required to run for Congress.
All these dems rushing to turn their colleague’s misery into a political statement are simply bumping pond scum from the bottom of the food chain.

n0doz on January 10, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Clyburn has always been an embarrassment to South Carolina. He is in a gerrymandered district that insures his election. Bob Kerrey must be suffering from dementia. This insane twerp who did this shooting was listening to voices in his head. He was 22 years old and probably could not care less about healthcare legislation.

SC.Charlie on January 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Kerry/Clyburn – just the ticket for the Democrats in 2012!

GarandFan on January 10, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Seems to me the shooter just capsized and tipped over… now all the media, politicians and other talking heads are doing the same.

roflmao

donabernathy on January 10, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Clyburn was on Fox the other day talking about the shooting and soon segued into a rant about how the TSA treats congressmen “like we were common people” instead of recognizing how special they are. What a creep.

LASue on January 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM

pfamis:

There comes a time when you have to accept that what a moron like Clyburn says is what he means. This guy is no stranger to racism and partisan ranting. He is a big part of the talking points team in the Democrat Caucus and the Congressional Black Caucus.

Don’t make excuses for his idiocy.

tomshup on January 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Follow this link a see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

We need to dig into this. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Geochelone on January 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Jared Loughner has been making death threats by phone to many people in Pima County including staff of Pima Community College, radio personalities and local bloggers. When Pima County Sheriff’s Office was informed, his deputies assured the victims that he was being well managed by the mental health system.

I have to take pause with this story simply because the people he supposedly threaten have not uttered a word as of late about this. You’d think we would see the blogs or the news media light up with this story of him threatening many people if this was true. sometimes smoke is simply made with a smoke machine.

mizflame98 on January 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM

We in Nebraska no longer claim Bob Kerrey as one of our own, and haven’t for some time.

This detestable screed is only the latest example of why.

Solly on January 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM

MNHawk on January 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Wait a minute. I listened to Beck today and I don’t recall him saying these things. In fact, I don’t recall Sarah Palin being on his program today. I could be wrong since I had to go out for a moment. I’ll have to listen to today’s show to be sure, but I think this person is lying about Beck & Palin.

mizflame98 on January 10, 2011 at 6:17 PM

chemman on January 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

LOL; good one…

Keemo on January 10, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I would really be enjoying all of this Democrap-Liberal Meltdown stuff if there weren’t five dead people to sober me up. What a shame that Clyburn, Kerrey, Obama, Krugman, Durbin and the rest of the Democrap Party leaders can’t seem to absorb that.

(Scratch Clyburn from that list — he’s actually retarded and shouldn’t be held responsible for his own blithering.)

Jaibones on January 10, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I cannot believe that clyburn does not appreciate the constitution. It is, however, the reason that someone does not own him right now.

Tool.

erakis on January 10, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Listen, I’m the first one to call these idiots out, but it’s possible that Clyburn was referring to that heckler in the Chambers during the reading of the Constitution.

Again, I’m just saying it’s a possibility. Read again: “All [of] this stuff taking place in the Chambers the other day, when the Constitution was being read — all that stuff is uncalled for.”

I’d say Kerrey wins this…

PhillytoDC on January 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM

tomshup on January 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Check the update. Clyburn is an idiot but has been misinterpreted in this instance.

pfamis on January 10, 2011 at 11:47 PM

PhillytoDC on January 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Check:

pfamis on January 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM

pfamis on January 10, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Re the update, this makes Clyburn no less nutty. The ‘outburst’ was a few words, not clearly heard, not that widely reported, and there’s no hint that Loughner cared about the eligibility of the Bamster. In fact I found it odd that in all the crap he wrote, Bammie was mentioned very little if at all.

slickwillie2001 on January 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM

MLK would be so proud oh his racist former lieutenant…NOT

Gohawgs on January 11, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Lesson, don’t engage keyboard prior to engaging one’s brain…Clyburn wasn’t one of MLK’s former Lietenants. He just reminds me of one…

Gohawgs on January 11, 2011 at 1:53 AM