Barbara Walters: I can’t shake the feeling that this isn’t Sarah Palin’s fault

posted at 9:21 pm on January 10, 2011 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Caller, it’s depressing that we have to give Barbara credit for making an exceedingly rudimentary point — namely, that it might be hard to fully comprehend the motives of a guy who’s willing to smile for his mug shot after shooting 19 people. Once upon a time not so long ago, the left understood that. Remember Media Matters’ reaction back in September to the nut who went berserk at Discovery Channel HQ in the name of environmentalism? Quote: “Discovery Channel hostage-taker is the perpetrator of a crime-not liberal, conservative or a chance to score points.” No sense looking for a coherent motive in a kaleidoscopic mind, in other words — unless, I guess, the victim was a Democrat. By that logic, since he targeted Reagan, wasn’t John Hinckley necessarily motivated by liberalism? (Answer: No.)

Incidentally, I had a brief (and polite) Twitter debate yesterday morning with David Frum about whether this incident should be used as a reason to call for toning down political rhetoric. I think that’s all to the good in the abstract; as I said in this post, you never know what innocently intended remark might set a diseased mind off. Three problems, though. One: What’s too far? We can agree that thinly veiled calls for violence should be no go, but Palin’s crosshairs map wasn’t a call for violence. It was a standard metaphor for “targeting” incumbents’ districts playing off of her “mama grizzly” hunting schtick. How far do we have to water down passionate political rhetoric to make it loony-proof? Two: There should be some factual basis in this story for worrying about political rhetoric in order to turn it into a soapbox for that, no? If not, then there’s no conceptual limit on exploiting it. Any political agenda can and should pick it up and run with it. E.g., maybe PETA should run a piece on how Loughner might have been calmer and more stable if he had more pets to give him love. Prevent a mass murder by adopting a shelter kitty today! Three: Like I said during the Terry Jones Koran-burning insanity and the Discovery Channel standoff, I’m uncomfortable with blaming polemicists for the actions of violent nuts who are inflamed by them. Media Matters actually summarized it well in the tweet I quoted above; I don’t know where to begin when it comes to categorizing the crazy politically. That won’t stop both sides from playing the blame game whenever one of their own is targeted, but if Terry Jones isn’t to blame for the actions of jihadis who kill in rage over his act, then how are conservative or liberal polemicists to blame for partisan cranks who act out? As much as I dislike Olbermann’s demonization of the right, he hasn’t put a gun in anyone’s hands. Moral agency has to mean something.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Stupid hag must be married or having an affair with
Paul “The Weasle” Krugman‘s lovechild.

Texyank on January 10, 2011 at 11:45 PM

FIFY

Shy Guy on January 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Stupid hag must be married or having an affair withPaul “The Weasle” Krugman.
Texyank on January 10, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Well, there are the Castro rumors — vehemently denied.

What is curious is how slow or fast the lib TV face goes, plastic surgery notwithstanding.

When Diane Sawyer’s goes, pray you’re standing back. Waaayyy back.

Feedie on January 11, 2011 at 12:16 AM

What twaddle.

Tennman on January 11, 2011 at 12:28 AM

That is a completely impossible task, because insanity literally means the insane’s reactions are not predictable.

The only purpose the argument has is to shut down the opposition. That’s what it always was, and that’s what it is now.

It’s a grotesque exploitation of tragic events, and the left ALWAYS do this.

Merovign on January 11, 2011 at 12:46 AM

The left knows this guy is a left wing loon and they have been spinning the “crosshairs” meme since 10 minutes after the shooting.

faraway on January 11, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Barbara Streisand Walters

Jocundus on January 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Barbara Walters talks sense.

Some day I am going to catch the guy slipping LSD into my soda.

Slowburn on January 11, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Other than the fact that they weren’t crosshairs, they were crop marks, that Loughner isn’t a Timothy McVeigh or from the right (a failed lefty talking point), that they had a quote from Palin in the background all the time Walters was talking, that the others protested Walters’s statement maybe this is sort of a View highpoint. Or is the left starting to realize they will come out big losers on this one.

Viator on January 11, 2011 at 4:04 AM

It’s silly when people compare this to Timothy McVeigh. McVeigh was a terrorist, this guy is merely a murderer.

Also, when I heard Walters use the term “target,” I nearly flipped out and started shooting people. That happens all the time, ya know.

TheBlueSite on January 11, 2011 at 4:25 AM

What kind of women watch that cackle fest?

shar61 on January 11, 2011 at 4:32 AM

If you can’t knock Sarah Palin off in the polls, just make something up. These people are real tools.

shar61 on January 11, 2011 at 4:33 AM

The speed of Progressive Socialists to all come out saying the same thing and even using the exact same terminology tells me they have been waiting for a catalyst like this to use all along. They have their narrative they will propagandize to all ends. This response was well planned, their targets all well chosen, and their talking points were all very coordinated. Maybe one day the average American will be aware of how disgusting the left in this country really is. The ideology is pure Socialism and they will lie all day to push it. The means to their goals have no boundaries in decency or truthtelling. As long as the means lead to their end of grabbing more power, ANYTHING goes…..

adamsmith on January 11, 2011 at 5:46 AM

I can’t shake the feeling everytime The View is on TV, Americas women are getting stupider.

gdonovan on January 11, 2011 at 6:03 AM

…it’s depressing that we have to give Barbara credit for making an exceedingly rudimentary point…

Indeed.

petefrt on January 11, 2011 at 6:35 AM

gdonovan on January 11, 2011 at 6:03 AM

That too.

petefrt on January 11, 2011 at 6:36 AM

If the lefies believe that we should tone down the hate speech,then they should tone down the hate speech.

DDT on January 11, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Should not even need to be said… Very sad.

RalphyBoy on January 11, 2011 at 7:20 AM

The left are masters of hate and violence and they’ll fool no one with this charade.

rplat on January 11, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Is she serious? If she is I have lost all respect for her…

mmcnamer1 on January 11, 2011 at 7:59 AM

There is NO evidence that Sarah Palin’s “Crosshairs” picture had ANYTHING to do with what this guy did. None. Zip. There is NO evidence he has ever even SEEN that picture.

First of all, there are no “Crosshairs” in the map picture. They are geological survey marks. I was skeptical, also, when I heard Palin’s office come up with that excuse. However, if you look up the symbol on a National Geological Society site, you’ll find that they are identical. In addition, there are no tick marks that would identify the symbols as crosshairs. Lastly, the last time I looked in a scope, I don’t think I ever saw the crosshairs stick outside of the scope as they do on Palin’s map.

RedinPDRM on January 11, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Barbara Walters: “I can’t shake the feeling that this (the Tate-LaBianca murders) isn’t the fault of the Beatles.”

guitarguy on January 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Um, no. Not all mentally ill people are violent. But for those who are, they’ll start on animals then move to people. E.g., Jeffrey Dahmer. This guy skipped that step but there’s no evidence that a kitty would have helped him. I’d rather the kitty stay in the shelter than be with someone who’s descending into violent madness.

rbj on January 11, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I personally agree with George Will. The need to blame someone is human. But today, unfortunately, the politicians are the target of this blame.

The attacks on Palin so soon was indicative of her iconic image as leader of the teaparty.

This is an attack on the teaparty.

I also agree with Lauran I. who say that this was really an attack on Americans, because the left is simply saying that most Teapartiers are this way.

The entire discussion of anger and rage, etc., rather than serious disagreement about solutions to our mututal problems is the real irresponsibility. The politicians are terribly responsible for this, too. They are the ones who get quoted and are stirring the pot.

It’s wrong.

AnninCA on January 11, 2011 at 8:39 AM

He must have had too much fat and sugar in his school lunches.

seven on January 11, 2011 at 8:58 AM

What an absolutely brainless twit. Typical of elitists and their “lofty” thoughts…..

ultracon on January 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM

“As much as I dislike Olbermann’s demonization of the right, he hasn’t put a gun in anyone’s hands. Moral agency has to mean something.”

It’s the hypocricy, stupid. Yes, I said that. Now, demonize me.

gitarfan on January 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM

That we know of. ;) LOL j/k :D

I would bet money that Barbara’s stance on this is less about her really believing what she says, and more about fear of losing viewers if she and the others, jump on the blame Palin wagon.

Behind her closed door of her dressing room, does she really believe Palin isn’t to blame?

I know, and most of you know Palin had nothing to do with this, but liberals love to lie. They’ve turned it into an art form.

capejasmine on January 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Walters needs to follow Helen Thomas down the road of obscurity. Most people respect 80+ senior citizens, but if those of that age group work against the best interests of the general public their relevance should cease to exist.

volsense on January 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM

“Barbara Walters: I can’t shake the feeling that this isn’t Sarah Palin’s fault” posted at 9:21 pm on January 10, 2011 by Allahpundit

I can’t help but want to go on the View and “shake” some sense into Barbara Walter’s feeble mind.

SC.Charlie on January 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

gdonovan on January 11, 2011 at 6:03 AM

THIS AMERICAN WOMAN DOESN’T HAVE A TV, so I don’t have to watch the View or any of the other “news” people who would presume to tell me what to think. Try it. It’s liberating.

EL on January 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Hey didnt they bring Ozzy to court for his song “suicide solution” after some kid killed himself. Its always someone elses fault. “Society created him”, “he came from a broken home”, “He was molested as a child” the excuses never end. He was effed up, he did something premeditated. He killed a kid. Crazy or not, Death penalty.

Greed on January 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I can’t shake this feeling that Barbara Walters is in the latter stages of a progressive mental disorder known as liberalism. I guess when you are past 80 years old, you have to find something to make yourself relevant. Her dementia is starting to show.

volsense on January 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Basic parsing: Walters…”CAN’T”…shake the feeling this isn’t Sarah Palin’s fault.

Translation: She wants it to be Sarah Palin’s fault; she believes it’s Sarah Palin’s fault. But she’s fighting with herself because she sees the tide of public opinion turning against her liberalist agenda of hating/destroying Palin. All she’s doing is cutting her losses on this topic so as not to be thrown in with the rest of the Obama-lemmings. Walters has merely realized her golden opportunity to come up smelling like a rose whereas the die-hard haters smell more like offal with each passing hour.

Because Walters is adept and shrewd at deciphering the writing on the wall doesn’t mean for a New York minute that she’s had any change of heart regarding Sarah Palin – or any other conservative obstacle to the Communists’ agenda.

GGMac on January 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Wow! That plus some cheese, salami, and bread and you’d have a pretty good sandwich.

The subtext: We’re trying as hard as we possibly can to blame Palin, but dammit, it’s just not working.

As Bones from Star Trek would say, “Dammit, Jim! I’m not a miracle worker!”

Pablo Snooze on January 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Someone with a good memory, and good resources, needs to create a post with links to various inflammatory quotes and campaign rhetoric from the left. I keep hearing lefties I know saying that no one on the left ever says anything inflammatory like the dialog on the right.

flyfishingdad on January 11, 2011 at 7:26 PM