NFL Saturday wild-card round open thread

posted at 8:30 am on January 8, 2011 by Ed Morrissey

Thankfully, I don’t have to make a Pittsburgh Steelers prediction this week, because the Steelers crushed the Cleveland Browns 41-9 to clinch their division and a first-round bye in the playoffs.  In fact, I finished off the season with a 5-2 record in Week 17 for an overall season record of 66-40.  But now we’re in a new season, so we’ll set the prediction record back to 0-0 and see if I can beat last year’s 6-5 record, which included a whiff in the Super Bowl.

• Saints at Seahawks – Purists are angry that a 7-9 team even got into the playoffs, and even more upset that an 11-5 team had to go on the road as a wild card to play them.  They won’t stay angry long.  New Orleans hasn’t exactly looked like the world-beaters of last season and ended with a loss last week, but they should be more than a match for the mediocre Seahawks regardless of whether Matt Hasselbeck or Charlie Whitehurst starts the game.  Saints should blow past Seattle on cruise control, 31-13.
  • Jets at Colts – Say, do you think Rex Ryan’s admission of a personal mission to beat Peyton Manning has Indianapolis a little fired up this week?  The Colts started to regain their form towards the end of the season, while the Jets started playing inconsistently down the stretch.  Mark Sanchez  seems to have righted the ship, but Manning will do better against the Jets’ tough defense than Sanchez will against the Colts’ more ordinary one.  Plus, the home field will be a big advantage for Manning.  It won’t be easy and we’ll see a couple of lead changes during the game, but the Colts should outlast the Jets, 24-20.

Update: You know, the Jets might have better luck with Mark Sanchez than Matt Sanchez.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Would’ve been nice to have had Roby, Ivory, Graham, Thomas, Jenkins, Thomas, and Bush for all of today’s game. Ivory alone would’ve trucked the entire Seahawks team and 12th man all day long like Week 11. Oh, well.

Get healthy, Saints, and we’ll see you next season!

Christien on January 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Really?

Sorry, Del. I didn’t see that.
Of course, as a fellow Pats fan I salute your obvious good taste, looks, and intelligence.

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Seahawks 28, Saints 13.

Wyatt Wingfoot on January 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Make that Seahawks 41, Saints 36.

Wyatt Wingfoot on January 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM

So. Bush coached the Seahawks?

Too soon?

catmman on January 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Good job, Vince. “Everyone else” called this wrong.

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Why, thank you. I will now modestly predict that the Colts will kick the Jet’s patootie!

Vince on January 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I must add that I will be in football Nirvana as soon as the Patriots are beaten. I hope that they lose in the last minute and it is very controversial. I want them to suffer!

I hate them.

Vince on January 8, 2011 at 8:32 PM

That’s the way I see it too.

Either way is fine with me, unless the NFL has a way for both these teams to lose.

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Oh, YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!” It’s party time in Seattle!!!

Mallard T. Drake on January 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I hate them.

Root for the Ravens, Steelers, and Falcons then.
That’s your best chance the way I see it.

No one had the Pats as the “best” team in the NFL in Aug /Sept. They could win the SB and with 3 picks out of the first 33 in draft, the rich could get richer.

Anyway, good call on the Seattle upset. Hope you made some coin.

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM

GO, DUCKS!

Christien on January 8, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Saints at Seahawks – Purists are angry that a 7-9 team even got into the playoffs, and even more upset that an 11-5 team had to go on the road as a wild card to play them. They won’t stay angry long. New Orleans hasn’t exactly looked like the world-beaters of last season and ended with a loss last week, but they should be more than a match for the mediocre Seahawks regardless of whether Matt Hasselbeck or Charlie Whitehurst starts the game. Saints should blow past Seattle on cruise control, 31-13.

Wow… you look pretty stupid now. Why would you predict that score AT SEATTLE when Seattle performed better than that AT NEW ORLEANS earlier?

I’ve never heard Qwest as loud as it was today–from all the false starts and pre-snap timeouts I think the Saints would agree… my ears are still ringing.

DaveS on January 8, 2011 at 8:52 PM

GO, DUCKS!

Christien on January 8, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Ditto.

El_Terrible on January 8, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Jets to mid-field.

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Jets punt – touchback; Colts get ball @ 20yd line.

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Nice. Not a Manning fan, but he is damn good.

reaganaut on January 8, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I hate them.

Vince on January 8, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I was actually not all that disappointed when they lost the Super Bowl game and chance for a perfect season/post-season.

Imagine how insufferable all you Pats-haters would have been had they accomplished something that could never be bettered?

Del Dolemonte on January 8, 2011 at 9:36 PM

DaveS on January 8, 2011 at 8:52 PM

New Orleans beat Seattle in the first meeting, correct?

Interesting factoid-before today’s game, the Saints had only given up 30 points to their opponents in 3 games. They lost two of those games.

Two of those teams were Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Del Dolemonte on January 8, 2011 at 9:40 PM

DaveS on January 8, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Just got back from the game. I could’ve floated the whole way home. The pundits on the post game shows are calling one of the greatest games in Seahawk history. They are calling Lynch’s run the greatest in Seahawk history. I was sitting in the Hawk’s Nest. Only the championship game against Carolina was more insane in the stands than this one. When Lynch scored, the Hawk’s Nest just lost it. What a great game.

Let’s go Green Bay. You are now Seattle’s best friend.

Mallard T. Drake on January 8, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Early 3rd Qtr, Jets need a 1st down – they get it.

Go Jets!

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Jets 3 & 3 = 1st down.

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Jets 1st & goal.

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Jets / Colts – All tied up – 7 / 7

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Congrats to my Seahawks……Yeah…What an exciting game…wondering how many fools bet against the odds….Losers…..

hawkman on January 8, 2011 at 10:03 PM

No offense – betting against the team with worst ever playoff record cannot be considered a sucker bet. However, the long-odds takers and the home town fans can rejoice. Congrats!

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Oh boy. Manning with 2;30 left and down a point

El_Terrible on January 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Sorry JetBoy

CWforFreedom on January 8, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Jets near midfield with 45 seconds left

El_Terrible on January 8, 2011 at 10:55 PM

36 seconds left, Jets in field goal range

El_Terrible on January 8, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Who the f#@# called the time out for the COLTS!!!

They lost the game.

El_Terrible on January 8, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Jets win

El_Terrible on January 8, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Thank you Jets!

Welcome to Foxboro!

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Oh, gawd.

More of Rex Ryan’s mouth. ESPN celebrates.

Moesart on January 8, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I think the Saints will beat the Seahawks but not as convincingly as Ed’s numbers (31-13). My guess: Saints 28, Seahawks 23. The Jets on the other hand will upset the mildly favored Colts 26-17, (Manning will throw three INT’s)

Rovin on January 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM

OK, I was wrong…………

Rovin on January 8, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Sorry JetBoy

CWforFreedom on January 8, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Words Jetboy will savor………..

Rovin on January 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Ed – that’s 0 for 2.

Buddy!!!!!!!!!

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Rovin….for sure. The Colts special teams sure blew it on that kick off.

CWforFreedom on January 8, 2011 at 11:11 PM

On the plus side, yet another example for Belichick & Co. to preach the “any given Sunday sermon”.

Go Pats!!!

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Rovin on January 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I would flip a coin before I would looku to you for advice.

CWforFreedom on January 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM

CWforFreedom on January 8, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Predicting outcomes in sports has always been filled with upsets CW. Half the fun is not knowing the final result right down to the final seconds. No one expected Dwight Clark to make that “catch” from Montana, or Harris’s immaculate reception. Or the Oilers blowing a 32 point lead to Buffalo. I never really thought Seattle had a chance today, any more than the Jets could beat the Colts in ‘69. Real sports fans marvel at the un-predictability of the game, as well as the one’s who make history changing it.

Rovin on January 8, 2011 at 11:30 PM

CWforFreedom on January 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM

LOL! Good advice!

Rovin on January 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Well, win some, lose some. It’s games like these that have taught me not to bet serious money on the outcomes. By serious I mean a dollar or more.

Vince on January 8, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Go Pats!!!

EA_MAN on January 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM

NFL Network this week has been running the “Sound FX” show from a few years ago with Belichik miked up-don’t know if they will be showing it again but keep an eye out for it-fascinating stuff.

Del Dolemonte on January 9, 2011 at 1:29 AM

BTW the other reason I was worried about the Saints’ chances today was because I am a Patriots fan. Remember, Pete Carroll coached us too!

His first season (1997) he took the Pats to a 10-6 record (we lost to Ed’s team in the playoffs) and the next year they finished 9-7 and were a Wild Card team. They lost to Jax that year.

Pete is a great coach who knows how to get the most out of what he has.

Del Dolemonte on January 9, 2011 at 1:36 AM

God pays attention to football on all days except Sunday

PrezHussein on January 9, 2011 at 3:55 AM

I wonder to all those hawks doubters if crow has to have a lot of salt to choke it down. The score should have been higher for the hawks. They had a constant choke hold on Clemmons and Brock the entire game and got called for it once I believe. O well on to the next unbeliever.

jistincase on January 9, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Sorry JetBoy

CWforFreedom on January 8, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Words Jetboy will savor………..

Rovin on January 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM

What a game…my voice is gone this morning.

Superbowl or Bust, baby!

JetBoy on January 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I spent most of the game wondering if we could bring in Matt Sanchez.

BrunoMitchell on January 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Seattle Seahawks won against Saints.

41 to 36.

Sorry, Ed. Bad prediction on your part.

Kokonut on January 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Being wrong doesn’t make it a bad prediction.

Ortzinator on January 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM

The New Orleans Saints are going to beat the Seahawks like a rented mule.

45-13 Saints

Game’s about to start. Now it’s time to kick back with a 12 pack of Abita Jockamo IPA and a pot of gumbo.

Who dat! Geaux Saints!

CatchAll on January 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Ummmm-UMM !! I had no idea that crow could be so tasty. (curunch!), and the textures. They are nothing short of amazing! Boy, did I call that one wrong.

-On the Saints offense Jones had a good game and on defense Jabarri(sp?) Greer had a good game.
-IT’S ALL BUSH’S FAULT! We need to let Bush go and get a running back in there who’s worth every dollar he gets paid, unlike Bush, who’s not worth a damn dime.

CatchAll on January 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM