Video: Feelgood story of the day

posted at 5:40 pm on January 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

We’ve been chewing all week on palate-cleansing feelgood candy from the man with the golden voice, but I actually like this story better. Remember this much-buzzed-about piece from the Boston Globe published right before Christmas? It was linked here in Headlines and at various news sites but deserved more attention; evidently ABC thought so too, because they went and put together a video segment about the Parker family and Rudy Favard, a.k.a. the World’s Sweetest Linebacker. I recommend reading both the Globe article and the accompanying ABC story before watching since, alas, the clip doesn’t quite do justice to Favard’s character or the bond that’s developed between him and the Parkers. According to the Globe, he’s already been accepted by four colleges but his choice will be constrained by their offers of financial aid. To which I say, if a school can’t come up with a little extra cash for a kid like this, they might as well close their doors. Exit quotation: “Just lend a hand. It’s not that hard.”

Comments

Video no longer available.

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I read about this a few weeks ago and actually thought to myself Sweet Jesus, there really are still some people out their who give a sh!t about others. Thanks for continuing to bring this young man up and in front of everyone AP!

sicoit on January 7, 2011 at 5:46 PM

their=there oopsy

sicoit on January 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Once again I’m reminded of how good I really have it. And reassures my faith in humanity. Good kid.

JetBoy on January 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM

May God bless Rudy and the Parkers.

red131 on January 7, 2011 at 5:48 PM

What at good man.

(these “dusty” posts are terrible for the eyes)

portlandon on January 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I can barely see the keyboard.. must be somethin’ in my eyes. Rudy is a special young man.

LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot on January 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Beautiful story. When he goes to college maybe a realtor could help them find a one story house. His help will be missed and not having stairs would help.

Rose on January 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM

portlandon on January 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM

here is a puff’s… the lotion is good on your skin in these cold times. Even with this warm story.

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 5:54 PM

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Thanks Upi.

portlandon on January 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Nice to hear some good every once in a while. Makes me forget about my little chemo battle. Where is this water on the keyboard coming from?

odat on January 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM

AP, thank you. I needed that. Great post!

chaswv on January 7, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Wow.

I know this wonderful young man isn’t the only person doing God’s work, it’s just so rare to read about it.

David in ATL on January 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Faith in humanity… What a nice kid and what a wonderful story. And yes, colleges should be chomping at the bit to give this kid a scholarship. Heck, if I ever won the lottery, I’d give this kid a full ride to college.

Illinidiva on January 7, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Thanks Upi.

portlandon on January 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM

y.w.

*Throws Puff’s around to others*

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM

*Throws Puff’s around to others*

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Thanks, these allergies are killing me…..

Knucklehead on January 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM

*Throws Puff’s around to others*

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM

*catches one*

JetBoy on January 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM

What at good man.

(these “dusty” posts are terrible for the eyes)

portlandon on January 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Same here…

… I really have to clean my keyboard.

Seven Percent Solution on January 7, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I must have something in my eyes.

Lonevoice on January 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Super story, thanks for sharing!

scalleywag on January 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM

If colleges won’t spring for this kid’s bill, I’ll chip in $50.

OhioCoastie on January 7, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Wow, great story. It’s so good to see that there are still selfless kids out there.

I hope some good college out there will give Rudy a full ride.

flipflop on January 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM

wow…brought a few tears to these eyes

cmsinaz on January 7, 2011 at 6:21 PM

This is indeed a wonderful, inspiring story – I read about it a few weeks ago.

It’s interesting to me that this story is getting such positive response while some commenters are treating this poor guy like Minnie the Moocher. I really don’t understand the thought process of some of my fellow conservatives. I fully understand the concept of self-reliance but the fact is that some people really do need help, really are experiencing profound sadness, and do not deserve to be treated like worthless deadbeats who just need to buck up and get with the program.

Buy Danish on January 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM

i need one of those tissues please

cmsinaz on January 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM

*Throws Puff’s around to others*

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM

*needed* Thanks, Upinak!

Beautiful story. Thanks for the post, Allah.

tickleddragon on January 7, 2011 at 6:27 PM

What a great example that young man is.

American Elephant on January 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Buy Danish on January 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Buy… what comes around goes around. Let them (commenters) say what they want. Compassion is something that few people know or receive and many on here think it better to judge someone who is down on their luck, than say something to lift someone up.

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM

*Throws Puff’s around to others*

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM

thanks :)

cmsinaz on January 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM

A story that renews your faith in the goodness of people.

Thank you, Rudy. You make the world such a better place.

pbundy on January 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Lonevoice on January 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Must be a dust storm, I have something in mine also.

Grunt on January 7, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I have muscular dystrophy and growing up I used to go to a “summer” camp they put on every year for kids with MD. It’s not really a summer camp just a week but I know people who have been counselors there for 10 years now after starting just to get their community service hours and last year it has gotten to the point where they can now only take a couple of new volunteers each year because of the massive amount of returning volunteers.

In a world full of hate and malice it’s amazing that there are people like this guy and the thousands who volunteer their time to handicapped children around the country.

MFn G I M P on January 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM

I know, but it’s even worse than that. It’s as if they think these people actually deserve to be punished. You must do penance and spend your life helping the elderly, you selfish whiner! It’s truly appalling.

Buy Danish on January 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM

In Texas they’d say that story ‘makes your eyes sweat’….and it’s true. It’s a great story and I agree with AP; if a school can’t find room for this young man, what the Hell good are they?

GoldenEagle4444 on January 7, 2011 at 6:57 PM

MFn G I M P on January 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM

You are correct Gimp, it is nice to see truely wonderful people who take a moment to help others.

It’s truly appalling.

Buy Danish on January 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Buy, I understand. I am sure Gimp does as well as many of us in here. Don’t let those who put down others, bring you down. Make them look stupid by showing them and others, you are the better person.

upinak on January 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Great story. I wonder how they get the boy downstairs in the morning?

fed-nad on January 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Rudy’s walking a path to Heaven 14 steps at a time.

Kensington on January 7, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Great story. I wonder how they get the boy downstairs in the morning?

fed-nad on January 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM

And what do they do the other three nights of the week?

Aren’t those obvious questions? Why aren’t they addressed?

Kensington on January 7, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Damn you Allah, you made me tear up. This young man has a heart of gold. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and find a tissue.

mizflame98 on January 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM

That’s one special young man.
He gives hope to the human race.
God bless him and the Parkers.

1IDVET on January 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Aw, that was so nice. *tear* What a great young man.

conservative pilgrim on January 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Just when I think our young people have gone to sh!t, along comes a fine young man like Rudy.

JustJP on January 7, 2011 at 8:03 PM

EVERY life has meaning. Sometimes we don’t understand why things happen, but just because we don’t understand, it doesn’t meam that someone, somewhere, has been brought a little close to God.

goddessoftheclassroom on January 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM

This is why America will never go away. No matter what the government does or doesn’t do, we are a gracious, kind, hard-working people.

SouthernGent on January 7, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Thanks, AP, that was a great story, and I missed it at Christmas time. The Globe article said that there is a second boy who comes when Rudy can’t be there and a third boy who is a back-up for the other two. But I wonder what they do in the morning?

I hope they can find a new house with no stairs.

TX Mom on January 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Maybe ABC will send Ty and Exteme Home over to redo the Parkers home (and find scholarship money for Rudy).

red131 on January 7, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Buy Danish on January 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Attitude counts.

With Rudy’s story, we find out how good deeds in adversity uplift Rudy and the Parker family, not how depressed Sammy’s care makes Sammy. We’re not sure what Sammy’s life is fixated upon, but there is obviously a lot of love in his life from both family and friend.

With Adam’s story, we find out that Adam is wallowing in self-pity about his enforced exile into a home for the aged. We find out how his life is fixated on rap music (apparently large bass speakers aren’t allowed in the old folks’ home) and the next smoke (of which he must go outside to partake), and we’re not sure where the love is, because his family is nowhere to be seen in this story, other than as a cause of his misery. Adam has been abandoned to the state, so to speak.

In the old days, or, in more modern times, in a conservative morality, Adam’s family — including the stepbrother who accidentally shot him — would be the people taking care of Adam, not the state. Indeed, that’s what we see going on in the Parker family — the family is making an effort, with minor aid from their community, to give Sammy the best life they can give him.

Again, it’s the tone engendered in each story that evokes the tone of resulting commentary. Dee2008 is right — the main thrust of the article to which you refer is Adam’s moping and complaining, and relentless moping and complaining don’t inspire the higher emotions of compassion and sympathy.

unclesmrgol on January 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM

MFn G I M P on January 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Yes there are quite a few people doing such wonderful but small acts of kindness in the world that we so rarely get to hear about. And boy is this one of the nicest ones ever. What is lovely about it is that it isn’t a big, showy gesture (i.e. a child starts a huge charity); it’s just a sweet act of someone helping a stranger for no purpose other than that it is the right thing to do. Hopefully, Extreme Makeover gets the Parkers a new house and Rudy gets a full ride to the college of his choice.

Illinidiva on January 7, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Ah, hell, AP.

I’m sitting here drinking beer in front of my brother-in-law, watching basketball and pretending those aren’t tears on my face.

Great story. Amazing people. Every last one of them.

You the man, AP.

Professor Blather on January 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM

What at good man.

(these “dusty” posts are terrible for the eyes)

portlandon on January 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Wuss…

Well, me too.

hawkdriver on January 8, 2011 at 7:53 AM

unclesmrgol on January 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM

The Rudy story is compelling because it focuses on the heroic, caring volunteer and the transformative effects it has had on the family he is helping and the joy he brings to them and their helpless child. It most decidedly not a story of self-reliance – on the contrary. And keep in mind that the child who is incapable of taking care of himself will be a 26 year old adult one day.

Meanwhile, perhaps you and others would like to express your sanctimonious opinions directly to a member of Martin’s family, who happens to be a registered Hot Air commenter and points out that “He can’t even hold a phone to his ear”. This young man is suffering and feels alone and isolated. He doesn’t have a Rudy in his life. He needs encouragement and a chance to interact with peers, not stern, heartless lectures from strangers spouting talking points about over-reliance on “the state”.

Buy Danish on January 8, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Video: Feelgood story of the day

Yes, thanks.

The world needs more Rudy Favard’s.

rukiddingme on January 9, 2011 at 2:04 AM