Video: The man with the golden voice opens “The Today Show”

posted at 4:15 pm on January 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

Yesterday’s post was a crowd-pleaser so I thought you guys would enjoy a little more. Or rather, a lot more: Not only did Williams get to do the voiceover honors at the start of this morning’s program, the “Today” gang spent more than 20 minutes of the show interviewing him. I don’t think Obama got that much airtime the last time he chatted with Lauer. Behold the awesome media-commanding power of compelling viral video, my friends. Coming soon: An exclusive hour-long sitdown with Star Wars Kid?

If you’re wondering whether this guy’s changed for good or whether old demons will come back to haunt him, the second clip’s the one to watch. Something’s different this time, he says. I hope he’s right.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The land of second chances, and no nother land is like it. Hope he takes advantage of it

MyImamToldMeToDoIt on January 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Alcohol and drugs have destroyed too many lives.

Hope this cat makes it through he temptations to fall back.

In any case, it’s great he’s getting another lease on life.

rickyricardo on January 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Now, what is this TODAY SHOW you speak of…?

d1carter on January 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Coming soon: An exclusive hour-long sitdown with Star Wars Kid?

Ghyslain? I think he’d rather pretend that episode of his life never happened.

Doughboy on January 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Maybe Obama will lip sync to his voice at the State of the Union….

PatriotRider on January 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I sorta thought conservatives were all about personal responsibility. Apparently not when the person has a deep voice.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I wish him well.

He has an uncanny resemblance to a cracked out version of a man once named Barry.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Uh, did you read the comments in the Headlines thread this morning?

Doughboy on January 6, 2011 at 4:26 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Most do believe in personal responsibility. Most believe in helping others. Most don’t believe the government should be telling us who to help.
You on the other hand, I’m not sure about.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Yeah. But we’re also about dealing with the hand life deals you, not what it “should be”. That’s the libs – I should have money, I should have health care, I should not have to work, I should….

Sometimes we get a royal flush, sometimes only a Jack high – rather than railing for hours about how the hand isn’t fair, we play what we got the best we can.

miConsevative on January 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I think it’s great that a guy who steals from cars in parking lots can get inspire those whom he stole from with his voice!

lorien1973 on January 6, 2011 at 4:28 PM

So he’s not a thief? Did they check his pockets on his way out?

If he’s crooked, then he’s a con artist too. He seems to have plenty personality, and brains too. The guy could charm the pants off an Eskimo.

He’s got the world in his hands now. It’s his to lose. I hope he makes the best of it, for the rest of his life.

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Doughboy on January 6, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I did, but this is ridiculous. The lesson here is basically- do drugs, toss your life away, commit a bunch of crimes, refuse to do honest work, wait for someone to discover you, and you’ll get a house, thousands of dollars, and no working your way from the bottom up- it’s all just tossed your way, and why? Because you happened to be born with a decent voice (him and literally millions of other people).

And by golly, all of that is so darned heart warming. It’s not. It’s disgusting.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Something’s different this time, he says.

Yeah, he may have money to buy his illegal drugs instead of stealing to get them.

Maybe I’m a hopeless cynic.

SouthernGent on January 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM

This guy could be president! Just let him read some speeches; women would faint, men would break down in tears, the oceans would recede, the sun would shine…

Skandia Recluse on January 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM

This story exemplifies the wonders of America. Only here can something like this happen. This is capitalism at its best. No where else in the world. This is what many progressives don’t appreciate about America, someone with nothing can become something over night. It is the same people that don’t understand why many of us are so desperate to make sure the beauty of this here and no where else in the world never ends.

Ricki on January 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I think this story is better:

Garvey, a 2005 Tulane University graduate, told the Herald yesterday that she worked late on New Year’s Eve and went to bed at 5 a.m., setting her alarm for 10 a.m. so she’d have plenty of time to make her noon shift.

As for Garvey’s job prospects, she’s in the market for a bartending or waitressing gig, vowing, “I won’t be late.”

Aim high, Tulane grads! Aim high.

lorien1973 on January 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Now, what is this TODAY SHOW you speak of…?

d1carter on January 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM

It comes with this box you can buy that you turn on and it generates this endless distraction without even having to click your mouse. Some people like it.

pedestrian on January 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

D.O.P.E.

Akzed on January 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Something’s different this time, he says. I hope he’s right.

Praying for it to be so.

Midas on January 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Now, what is this TODAY SHOW you speak of…?

d1carter on January 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Who’s the bald guy on the couch in the fourth clip? Sounds like Al Roker, but I don’t remember Al as looking anything like that. (Last time I watched an MSM morning show was early 90′s.)

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Amazing Grace

fourdeucer on January 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Welcome to America. Where someone with a God-given ability you can’t teach gets second and third and twelfth chances no matter how many times he or she screws up. Just look at professional sports and Hollywood for the most egregious examples.

I’m not saying it’s right, but that’s how our society is. All I can hope for is that this dude doesn’t screw up this opportunity. Especially now that he’s got millions of people following his every move.

Doughboy on January 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

So some capitalist think he can help them make money. What’s the problem? Would I give this guy another chance? I don’t know enough about him, but if someone else does and it’s not costing me a dime, good for them, and him.
Apparently you can’t hear. The man has a voice that few are born with. You seem to resent people with talents you lack whether they be God given or worked for.
Grow up!

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

What a joke
So he has all this talent yet no one wanted him before ?
More Socialism and feel good Liberalism being shoved down our throat
It can only end badly ……

ELMO Q on January 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

It’s a great Christmas story; Rudolf the Deep Voiced Hobo

BuckNutty on January 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

You are a pathetic liberal. P’tooey.

Key West Reader on January 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Don’t even get me started on big-name sports, where the ability to move a ball around on a field can net you more money than most business owners and get you Hollywood law immunity.

Dark-Star on January 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Maybe Obama will lip sync to his voice at the State of the Union….

PatriotRider on January 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

$20 says Obama invites him to the speech to show him off at some key point (where he details how evil Republicans that should be bipartisan with him are, of course).

Midas on January 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Don’t blow it, big boy. That’s all I’m gonna say.

tree hugging sister on January 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

You were forced to pay for the house, huh? Sucks to be you.

Bishop on January 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM

PatriotRider on January 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Midas on January 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Or to find a way to compare himself to the homeless man. I can just hear it now. Ugh, please… NO!

Key West Reader on January 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Maybe you would feel better if he leeched off the taxpayers for the rest of his life? It would be better if the state just took care of him so he would be a good little Dem voter.

SirGawain on January 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Dark-Star on January 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

You too huh, someone held a gun to your head and took your money to pay an athlete’s salary? Man, what is up?

Bishop on January 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

1.Nice to see you out yourself as not a conservative. Your sock puppeting here has been fun.

2.This is America. We have been all about comebacks, repentance, and rebuilding. We aren’t born into servitude, and to remain in an unmovable Caste system. If a person wants to tear themselves down and build themselves back up, fine. We are also a nation that says if you have paid your debt to society, you can start anew.

If he wants to start fresh, and keep off the drugs, the sky is the limit. Don’t get all jealous because nobody ever gave you a second chance at anything BlueSite.

portlandon on January 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Midas on January 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Spokesman for ObamaCare.

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

This guy spent the past 2 years on the street, committing crimes, and refusing to work. In the original video, he explained how he was on the street just hoping someone would drive up and offer him a job doing voiceover work.

Maybe he could have been a real man, taken responsibility and worked a “lesser” job, and put food on the table (tables?) of his NINE children?

I’m amazed at how we’ve all lost our minds over a lazy felonious dead beat dad- all because he has a deep voice.

Like I said elsewhere- it’s too bad he didn’t get peed on in a sex tape or that he can’t toss a ball around, our culture is so debased, we’d offer him millions on the spot.

As a conservative, I’m tired of this culture where we pass up people who do good and work hard and reward people who do all the wrong things and expect things to be handed to them.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Dark-Star on January 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM

And I suppose if you were born 7’1 and had great ball handling skills you’d join the NBA and only ask for $30,000 per year, right?

You are about 2 sentences away from demanding professional athletes paychecks be taken and redistributed to the “worthy” workers.

You never fail to amaze disappoint.

portlandon on January 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Aim high, Tulane grads! Aim high.

lorien1973 on January 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM

She said after paying $300 for her iPhone in September 2009, and $100 each month on her contract, she blames the phone – not Foundry – for her lack of employment.

Were I employed as waitstaff, I would have bought the $5 alarm clock, and forgone the $300 + $100 per month IPhone.

Vashta.Nerada on January 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Bluespite

pugwriter on January 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Well, first thing I’d do if I were born 7’1 is say “sorry mom”

lorien1973 on January 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM

portlandon on January 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Envy and jealousy can be ugly things.

Maybe someday the street sweepers will get paid the same as the neurosurgeons, let’s hope that day doesn’t come soon.

Bishop on January 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Well, first thing I’d do if I were born 7’1 is say “sorry mom”

lorien1973 on January 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM

You earned it.

portlandon on January 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Vashta.Nerada on January 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Then again, it’s awfully hard to believe that a single late arrival is grounds for termination. Clearly, there’s more to this.

lorien1973 on January 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Still trying to get rid of that stinging in my eyes. God bless him and the fellow that took the time to put him up on youtube.

princetrumpet on January 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Since it was self-inflicted homelessness, can we get our welfare money back when he gets his first check?

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM

No, apparently you have lost your mind over this. Someone thinks he can help them -NFL Films, Cleveland Cavs, etc. You resent that he’s getting paid for his VOICE. Been passed over in a radio gig before? Jealousy’s a killer.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM

My wife just the other day said people were more likely to be discovered on YouTube than if they went to some college racking up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to make it big someday.

magic kingdom on January 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM

As a conservative you should be celebrating, anytime anyone that has sunk to the depths that Mr. Williams has and begins to recover and bring real Hope and Change to those who believe there is none.

fourdeucer on January 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Yeah, I’m totally jealous. You pegged it. You’re good with people who refuse to work being given homes and tens of thousands of dollars for having a voice. I’m more into the idea of hard work, doing the right thing, taking care of your family and kids, and not expecting someone to just drive up one day and offer you a job when you refuse to get one yourself.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM

1. when have you been conservative?
2. Liberals are usually about giving to the poor, the hungry the masses… but God forbid they give them a JOB!

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I think the story should be about the guy who took the time to help Mr. Williams out. Hencould have just given him the money and said well I did my good deed for the day.

I’m glad this guy is getting a break and hope he can keep it. After all, a lot of us got a break by being born here in the USA surrounded by a good family and influences.

Vince on January 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Well, first thing I’d do if I were born 7’1 is say “sorry mom”

lorien1973 on January 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Heh. A friend of mine started “The Ten Pound Club” for people like her that were born weighing 10 lbs or more. One of the their core goals was be extra-nice to their moms on their birthdays and Mother’s Day…

Dark-Star on January 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

As a conservativeliberal you should be celebrating, anytime anyone that has sunk to the depths that Mr. Williams has and begins to recover and bring real Hope and Change to those who believe there is none.

fourdeucer on January 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM

fify

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

fourdeucer on January 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Nah, I’ll celebrate the homeless mother with 2 kids, whose husband left her stranded, who instead of choosing to commit crimes while refusing to find a job, begging for other people’s money, she went out and got 2 jobs and finally pulled herself out of a bad situation.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

You sound like a weekend Christian.

rickyricardo on January 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Can you imagine the job offers during the next election cycle…?

CHA-CHING!!!

Seven Percent Solution on January 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

TBS – this all reminds me of a cartoon done in memory of 9/11, which showed a basketball player and a soldier side-by-side. The caption was this:

(for the B-ball player) This man defends a small metal hoop on a wooden court for a few hours a day. What do we pay him?

(for the soldier, with a smoking tank in the background) This man defends freedom and liberty with his life for years on end. What do we pay him?

Most painful comic I’ve ever read.

Dark-Star on January 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM

If the video was of a homeless man with a forgettable voice we wouldn’t be talking about this, would we. But, he has a talent that someone values, and yes you are jealous.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Some of us believe in the power of God to change one selves when facing the abyss.

I can’t predict the future of Ted Williams, nor do I disillusion myself in thinking that temptation won’t be lurking behind every corner – but I most certainly don’t believe that success in life has be to be earned out of a higher education and working your way up a corporate ladder – even though that’s my own path.

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Bluespite,

Yes he did a bunch of stupid, criminal things. For the sake of argument, yes he probably fails the moral standard of most of the folks that post here. But he discovered his talent and nurtured it for the chance that an opportunity would present itself. Had he not developed his talent, the opportunity would have been meaningless.

Are we to think, Bluespite, that only the virtuous should be allowed to make money? What degree of virtue is necessary to make what amount of money?

In my youth I made horrible decisions and found myself on the wrong end of the law. Since then, somewhere along the way I discovered Jesus, responsibility, conservatism, a great wife and beautiful children. Would you take those things away from me because I broke the law when I was young and, indeed, continue to sin to this day?

If this is your attitude you are, in the words of my Saviour, a “whitewashed tomb.”

pugwriter on January 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Amazing story, one that reminds me of how great our country is.

I give the man credit too, he didn’t want to be a deadbeat welfare liberal, he simply wanted a second chance…HE wanted to do something better with his life.

A good lesson for our deadbeat liberal friends that have no interest in doing for themselves.

BruthaMan on January 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

You don’t know the first thing about me, so don’t pretend you do.

And thanks for kind of just proving my point about Mr Williams.

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I doubt God is handing miracles to people who simply refuse to do for themselves. This guy said it himself- he was waiting for someone to drive up and hand him a job in his narrow chosen field.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM

My grandfather and an uncle were alcoholics, so I know the BS that cascades out of many an addict’s mouth. Still, God speed, God bless, and good luck to Williams. A beautiful voice is a terrible thing to waste.

anXdem on January 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Bluesite, how is this guy’s success or failure any skin off your nose? He’s not defrauding his benefactors, is he?

pmm on January 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Okay, but sometime when you can’t sleep and anxiety starts weighing heavy on you remember Mr. Williams and this little adage “There but for the grace of God go I”.

fourdeucer on January 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Boy oh boy, the Prodigal Son sure dodged a bullet by not having you in that parable.

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM

BruthaMan on January 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Huh? Did no one watch the original video? Why did this guy not get a job in the past decade? Living in the street and saying that you’re waiting for someone to literally drive up and hand you a job is precisely having no interest in doing for yourself.

Serious question- Is this the twilight zone?!

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

pugwriter on January 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Perhaps those folks need a refresher course in Luke 15:11-32. I feel proud for the man. Success is not the absence of failure. Success is what happens when you choose to move on beyond failure.

BruthaMan on January 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

pmm on January 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM

He is hardly defrauding them. This is a classic free market exchange. A company needs a great on-air speaking voice. He needs money. Both come out ahead in the transaction.

God bless America!

pugwriter on January 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM

TheBlueSite

Hang in there, tool. One day maybe you’ll kick your drug habit too.

xblade on January 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM

The guy was living a tent, using his God given talent in an attempt to get recognized and earn a living. Also, you speaking on God’s behalf of who is eligible for miracles is really quite telling.

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

xblade on January 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Call me when you can learn to talk to people who may disagree with you with respect and without calling names.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Good luck to Ted. I’m praying for his continued recovery and future success. This really is a feel good story. Thanks for the posts on it, AP.

JimP on January 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Right. Cause she had no role is choosing to sleep with him to begin with. A common reply to those is Al-anon complaining over and over about it being all the Alcoholic spouses fault – “You’re the one who choose to marry him/her.”

Plus, this argument of yours goes along with the fact that abortions are only procured by rape and incest victims, welfare is only given to those who have tried and tried and just can’t make it on their own and unemployment checks are just there for those hard workers who are in between jobs but looking really really hard to get one.

miConsevative on January 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Huh? Did no one watch the original video?

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Of course they saw it, Mr. Blue. They just choose to rejoice and feel good about his good fortune rather than be bitter, envious, and miserable.

Have you considered taking an anti-depressant?

Did wonders for me during a time I could only see the dark side of life.

Rod on January 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Hang in there, tool. One day maybe you’ll kick your drug habit too.

xblade on January 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM

BlueTool is just mad because there is nobody in his life who cares enough to want to give him an intervention.

portlandon on January 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Interesting that he has such a huge family and yet was living on the streets. I’m sure there are circumstances involved we’re not privy to, but still makes me wonder why he apparently had no help from any of them.

Jim-Rose on January 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Huh? Did no one watch the original video?

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Apparently you didn’t watch it. The man wanted a job and he certainly didn’t turn one down. Did you not listen to what he had to go through, just to get on with the Today Show? Had to go to court to get an injunction so he could get an id?

Is it the twilight zone? Might be where you are standing.

BruthaMan on January 6, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Rod on January 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM

This site is becoming as hateful in the comments as kos sometimes. You folks can’t have a disagreement without personally attacking people, can you?

Seriously, it’s called a disagreement. I’m more worried about people who are homeless through no fault of their own, you’re calling me miserable because you choose to praise druggies who refuse to get a job except when handed to them. So take your snide remarks and shove ‘em.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I have never said this to anyone in my life, but with you it just screams to be said:

I truly hope you don’t call yourself a Christian.

——

Obviously you haven’t read that particular book. Somehow you also seem to have missed the entirety of the reason conservatism exists. How is it even possible to be that clueless.

Personal responsibility? Of course. And redemption. And private charity. And second chances. Equality in everything? No! But equal opportunity, chances even for the poor and downtrodden huddled masses?

Uh, yeah, Sparky. It’s conservatism in a nutshell. It’s Christian in the most original sense of the word. Maybe above all, its quintessentially American.

Was he a criminal waste of space? Apparently. Unless there are facts not yet in evidence, it appears that any debts to society have been paid in that regard.

And now he’s been blessed with a second chance. Personal responsibility? Yes. If he screws it up, don’t touch my tax dollars. If he wastes the chance, that’s his problem – not government.

How in the name of God could you so completely miss the point here?

——-

I wonder if he can throw a football? Did he torture anything to a slow horrible death? Because if those are both true, he might be worth millions.

But no second chances for petty junkies.

So very, very strange.

Professor Blather on January 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM

BruthaMan on January 6, 2011 at 5:26 PM

He spent several years on the street begging for money. He could go to court to get his ID to go on the Today Show, but he couldn’t do that years ago to get a job while waiting in hope of landing a voiceover gig?

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Now that he’s a celebrity, he can release the hounds and use those demons to his advantage…which is hard to do when you’re a nobody..

moc23 on January 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Serious question- Is this the twilight zone?!

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

First off, he’s only been sober for 2 years and owns up to making bad choices – so your “past decade” thing is an exaggeration (but the fact that you felt you needed to include an exaggeration shows that you don’t even believe your argument can stand scrutiny).

Secondly, he said he was on the road an hour an day. You have any clue what he did the other 23 hrs? Sure, he may have sat around doing nothing – or he may have searched for jobs online at the library, went door to door to businesses and spent time at an employment agency. This could have been the only way he was looking for a job or one of many ways. You don’t know, nor do I – so it is also a faulty basis for an argument.

Finally – I’ve never applied for a job in my life. They have always fallen in my lap. Seriously, every job I’ve had, I’ve given a resume and filled out an application (for their records) AFTER I was already hired. Go ahead and try to convince me millions of people out there at least somewhat attribute ‘luck’ to getting them in touch with the right person at the right time.

miConsevative on January 6, 2011 at 5:31 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

GROW UP! FREAKING GROW THE HECK UP!

You are acting like someone who is JEALOUS that a man with a better voice than YOU got a better JOB!

STFU already!

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Hey AP — the linked story from yesterday, the first vid has been pulled by The Dispatch.

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Professor Blather on January 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Let me make sure I have you right. As a conservative, when I see someone begging for money on the street- a man who is physically and mentally able to work but refusing to do so, (a man who has 9 kids but won’t take care of them), I should toss aside the idea of taking responsibility for your life and your actions, and give to him and pray that even tho he keeps refusing to work or even try to get work, someone will drive by and offer him a lucrative job.

THAT is somehow a virtue, and I should hope that such a thing is rewarded? Does the same go for welfare pimps who refuse to get jobs when they’re capable of working…why or why not? What’s the difference? Govt money is our money.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:35 PM

So take your snide remarks and shove ‘em.

Dude, you need to chill. Seriously, you sound like an angry nut yelling from the edge of the 98th floor.

No one here is ‘praising’ druggies. They’re celebrating an amazing story of a guy, who, through his own admission, has been clean for 2 and half years, been living in a tent, and got recognized in today’s digital age after pan handling his voice to oncoming traffic.

Yes, some people are homeless through no fault of their own, and many, many, many other are homeless because of substance abuse, poor decisions, and sometimes just plain luck.

I really meant it when I say the Prodigal Son dodged a bullet by not having you in that parable. The entire concept of grace is obviously lost on you.

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Look, give the guy the benefit of the doubt. If he screws up you can say “I told you so.”

hachiban on January 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

You are quick to judge others and an utter failure when it comes to recognizing something good. If you don’t have something nice to say, go sit next to Hillary Clinton.

BruthaMan on January 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM

miConsevative on January 6, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I said past decade, because from what I’ve read that’s about when he stopped working. He chose to do drugs, so saying he wasn’t sober before that seems a lame excuse for not working and not taking caring of 9 kids.

In terms of him looking for work- I’m basing the assumption on the fact that since he didn’t take the time to get try to an ID or anything, he probably wasn’t applying anywhere, that he’s been arrested several times since sober (apparently?) and that’s kind of indicative of someone who isn’t busy searching for work, and his statement that he was waiting for someone to drive up and offer him voiceover work

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM

You’re right. I know nothing about you other than your rant here makes me think you’re somewhat of a dimwit. Life isn’t fair, we are not equal in our talents, our pay, our looks, situations etc.
I hope you can find happiness somewhere.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM

You consistently fail to realize that he was literally AUDITIONING his voice to get a job. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp. This is vastly different than just sitting on the curb with an open hat expecting change.

The rest of your observations are nothing more than arrogant assumptions as you don’t have the slightest clue to what his full story is, nor do you know what his relationship with his children and their mothers are like.

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 5:40 PM

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM’

I’ll tell you the same thing. Take your rude/snide remarks and shove them. I haven’t personally attacked you for disagreeing with me, I’d expect you to show me the same kindness.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:41 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Hit a nerve?

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 5:44 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I see every single thing you WANT to point out happens to be all the negatives. You make no mention of, and cynically discount his 2 years of ongoing sobriety. For an alcoholic and crack addict to stay 2 years clean is a huge personal achievement, yet you still refer to him as a “druggie”.

Certain words and phrases, such as his continuous references to thanking the Lord, as well as stating having “found God as I understood him” are solid evidence that he is attending at least AA and maybe NA meetings on a regular basis. His complexion, attitude, public speaking skills, attentiveness and truthfulness all point to a man free from his demons. No crackhead could get up on the Today Show and come off as smoothly as he did. So why not even mention a single one of those obvious facts when spewing your venom about him? Oh, yeah. It doesn’t fit into your narrative.

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Taxpayers aren’t bailing him out. He has a marketable skill and looks to be headed toward making a living off of that. There’s absolutely nothing inconsistent with conservative philosophy in that.

Y-not on January 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Right. Because when you get that $14 from begging on the street for a day, the first thing you are thinking is give $75 to the government to get an ID – to hell with food! Arrested for peeing in the street – that damn homeless guys should be peeing in his the bathroom in the master suite of his house! And all those damn people with “For Sale” signs hanging in their car windows just WAITING for someone to pick up a phone and saying they want to buy their car should get rid of them, because if they are doing that, there is NO WAY they’ve also listed their car in AutoTrader, on ebay and in the classifieds. That’s what I assume, so that makes it so!

miConsevative on January 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I truly hope you don’t call yourself a Christian.

Professor Blather on January 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM