Video: The man with the golden voice opens “The Today Show”

posted at 4:15 pm on January 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

Yesterday’s post was a crowd-pleaser so I thought you guys would enjoy a little more. Or rather, a lot more: Not only did Williams get to do the voiceover honors at the start of this morning’s program, the “Today” gang spent more than 20 minutes of the show interviewing him. I don’t think Obama got that much airtime the last time he chatted with Lauer. Behold the awesome media-commanding power of compelling viral video, my friends. Coming soon: An exclusive hour-long sitdown with Star Wars Kid?

If you’re wondering whether this guy’s changed for good or whether old demons will come back to haunt him, the second clip’s the one to watch. Something’s different this time, he says. I hope he’s right.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I’m not spitting venom. I’m disagreeing and I’m observing his life. Everything I have said matches what has been reported.

If he’s truly sober, that’s great. Drugs are terrible. Good for him. I just simply don’t think that people who refuse to be responsible for their own lives should be rewarded, and when they are, I don’t think we should praise the situation.

What would I tell my son or daughter if they asked about this? Do I tell them it’s okay to beg others for money and not look for work yourself? (It seems from all the reports that’s precisely what he’s been doing.)

I’d love to see one of these stories but with someone who was homeless AND working and how the brought themselves out of it. If this guy had a gross voice, we’d cross the street to get away from him, and that’s part of the point.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I did, but this is ridiculous. The lesson here is basically- do drugs, toss your life away, commit a bunch of crimes, refuse to do honest work, wait for someone to discover you, and you’ll get a house, thousands of dollars, and no working your way from the bottom up- it’s all just tossed your way, and why? Because you happened to be born with a decent voice (him and literally millions of other people).

And by golly, all of that is so darned heart warming. It’s not. It’s disgusting.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Is your nickname “Scrooge” by any chance? You are coming off like a really bitter, unpleasant person.

No person’s life in history has ever actually turned around, has it? Do you have a good reason to doubt that Ted’s apparent gratitude and humility are sincere expressions?

Bizarro No. 1 on January 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Y-not on January 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM

A marketable talent is one thing, but why not look for work at the same time? Why expect people driving by to part with their hard earned money yet refuse to make your own? That’s not being responsible for your own plight, it’s expecting the kindness to others to support you completely. THAT is what doesn’t fit for me.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I sorta thought conservatives were all about personal responsibility. Apparently not when the person has a deep voice.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM

And who are these “conservatives” of whom you speak? The Today Show producers and Allahpundit?

Jaibones on January 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

What Mr. Williams has been given is an opportunity. The chance to make a living and a life. You can argue that he doesn’t deserve the opportunity, but many times opportunities are given based on a person’s potential, not their past. It’s a judgment call.

Amazing Grace

fourdeucer on January 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Amen.

NavyMom on January 6, 2011 at 5:52 PM

As a conservative, I’m tired of this culture where we pass up people who do good and work hard and reward people who do all the wrong things and expect things to be handed to them.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM

This isn’t a conservative issue. It’s a fact of life that those with talent are able to open doors the rest of us can’t, with or without working hard.

That said, his golden voice didn’t happen by accident. He did have to work to attain and maintain that. It’s not the kind of work you appreciate obviously, but you’re obviously not making the kind of money he is now either.

And yes, it sounds like nothing but bitterness for you to complain that he doesn’t have to work as hard as others especially when you go into hyperbole about how this is will encourage others to wait on the street hoping for a handout. Clearly that only works if you have genuine talent and even then, it’s not likely. This man easily could have died on the street, and it’s clear he realizes that.

Esthier on January 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on January 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Heh. First name basis now, are you? Child, please…

Jaibones on January 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

miConsevative on January 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM

That’s why churches and charities and all sorts of agencies offer services to people in these situations.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Adopting a lifestyle of recovery is proof that he is on the road to becoming responsible for his own life. You keep forgetting that aspect.

Also, I find his decision to take an obvious talent, and try to network it (yes, a funny sign and a silky radio voice counts as networking if you’re homeless) to be another start. I personally don’t give money to the homeless. I offer to buy them a burger, or a coffee, but most turn it down. Some, (the sober/clean ones) jump at the offer.

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 5:54 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM

It’s called the luck of the draw. Life is hard and sometimes we have soft landings. If you think this guy hasn’t paid his dues you are a fool.
Ever been homeless?
Ever had an addiction to any substance?
You don’t know a frakkin’ thing about life.

darwin-t on January 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

At least he got off his ass every day long enough to do the begging. I have a bigger problem with those who only have to walk from their couch to the mailbox once a week to get their check from the gub’mint.

And again, you base your argument on an unknown. He may have been looking for work elsewhere – h3ll, pounding the pavement, “advertising” himself on the exit ramp could very well be considered job-hunting.

miConsevative on January 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Shocker that you’re being as arrogant and condescending about this situation as you are about conservative politicians you don’t like.

This guy was advertising his talent. He went through a bad time in his life, but he went to jail and paid his debt to society. Okay, so now is he forbidden from good luck?

You should sell elitism in bottles. With your supply, you’d make a fortune.

MadisonConservative on January 6, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Exactly.

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Not expecting but hoping, yes. And how do you know that he didn’t look for work? Haven’t we been in a recession for at least as long as he’s been homeless?

Esthier on January 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

You fail to acknowledge your own point. It’s his VOICE!. Good for him. Maybe he can make it. Jealous?
Yep.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM

God bless him! I hope he does well. He needs someone trustworthy thought to watch over him a little.

JellyToast on January 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I’ve finally figured it out. Your lefty-side is showing. It’s not whether he was looking for a job or not. It’s not whether he was taking care of himself or not. It’s not whether he’s being responsible as best he could or not…

It’s that he wasn’t doing it the way YOU think he should. Typical liberal. Raise taxes so money gets spent they way YOU think it should. Government programs so people “succeed” the way YOU think they should. Subsidize so people research and invent the things YOU think they should.

Euro-weenies go for that one-size-fits all thing. Sorry, this is America. We have Annie Oakleys and Abraham Lincolns and Sarah Palins even Justin Biebers (for better or worse). You complaint (whether you admit it or not) is that this isn’t the status quo according to how you, the Master of How-It-Should-Be, dictate it.

Lefties – all control, all the time.

miConsevative on January 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Heh. First name basis now, are you? Child, please…

Jaibones on January 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

OMG! I used his first name even though I’ve never me him!

Your comment was extremely dumb. Hopefully, that was your goal! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on January 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I am so confused by your anger. Many of us don’t give money to homeless but instead will buy them a meal. This man is definitely getting a chance that many people are equally deserving of but then I should have won the Mega Millions Lottery the other night but I didn’t and I don’t begrudge those who did. Along with this largess will come a lot of scrutiny that will probably be more character building than the job he will be required to do to earn his living. I hope he shows himself worthy of the support he is receiving.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Do you understand the parable of the Prodigal Son?

darwin-t on January 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Give him Larry King’s spot. That seems appropriate.

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM

or The Good Samaritan for that matter?

darwin-t on January 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM

He needs someone trustworthy thought to watch over him a little.

JellyToast on January 6, 2011 at 6:02 PM

My wife said the same thing last night. Good luck to him!

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM

A marketable talent is one thing, but why not look for work at the same time? … THAT is what doesn’t fit for me.
TheBlueSite

First, I don’t know how he spent his time, but I do know that once you sink to the depths he sank to, it’s really hard to get a job. The man looked scary. I’m sure he smelled badly, too. Whether or not he looked as hard as he should have or “refused” to work, as you assert, I simply do not know. I doubt you do, either. But I do know that even middle class folks with homes and families and “normal” lives who lose their jobs go through periods of depression when it’s nearly impossible to make the effort to look for work. So I don’t spend a lot of time judging him for that.

In any event, I haven’t seen people applauding him for the decisions he’s made. Nor have I seen much of the glorification of the victim stuff either (which surprises me, as often the media will focus on anyone who’s made a mess of their lives as victims). What I’ve seen – and what I’m reacting to anyway – is people celebrating that someone who had fallen as low as this man has have a chance to pull himself back up by his own efforts. If he can do it, we can too. That’s one of the big messages from this story.

I think it’s also important to just accept that a big part of why he’s getting this attention is that he has a natural talent (that he also worked on to refine and improve (it’s not just the timbre of his voice; his enunciation and diction are quite good, too) that you wouldn’t expect to find in a fellow who looks the way he does. It’s the Susan Boyle phenomenon. So that was just his good fortune.

Whether or not any of us would hire the guy is a separate matter. We can still celebrate that in this terrible economy when so many people are out of work one person has a chance to rise out of poverty.

So tell your child the dangers of drugs and the importance of not giving into vices, but also tell her that people in this country can pull themselves back up by their bootstraps.

Y-not on January 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Give him Larry King’s spot. That seems appropriate.

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Tonight! Fuh thuh full houh!

darwin-t on January 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Jesus doesn’t limit the number of chances people have at life. This man has a tremendous opportunity and I hope he can, forgive the pun, “keep his nose clean”. He seems grateful and addition is really strong in his past. Good luck you Ted!

closetgop on January 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM

I wonder how the ex-announcer for the Cavs feels about this.

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM

The Libs must destroy him.

He should be begging, stealing and doped up so he can be dependent on the state/Feds.

PappyD61 on January 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM

There are many people who have talents and abilities that come from all walks of life who get overlooked for one reason or another. I had the opportunity to be mentored at an early age and I have never forgotten the man that saw something in me and helped me along. Sometimes that is all it takes to change someones life. God bless this man. I hope he does not let the people that are giving him a second chance down. And a pox on all of the nay sayers!

brtex on January 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM

For all you folks who are pissed at this guy, I’ve got two words for you.

Prodigal Son.

Nethicus on January 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I wonder how the ex-announcer for the Cavs feels about this

Where did you read that the Cavs fired their announcer? Or are you tossing that turd out there for effect?

Y-not on January 6, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Nah, I’ll celebrate the homeless mother with 2 kids, whose husband left her stranded, who instead of choosing to commit crimes while refusing to find a job, begging for other people’s money, she went out and got 2 jobs and finally pulled herself out of a bad situation.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:01 PM

If she’s homeless, than the state is probably raising her children, so you can’t really use her as a great example of someone getting by without handouts. Furthermore, if she has a job, it’s extremely likely that it’s because she has some place to live that she isn’t paying for, so double handouts.

Seriously, it’s called a disagreement. I’m more worried about people who are homeless through no fault of their own, you’re calling me miserable because you choose to praise druggies who refuse to get a job except when handed to them. So take your snide remarks and shove ‘em.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

No, people are calling you miserable because you’re irrationally angry about this and angry that people here seem to appreciate this story. You came into this thread lashing out at everyone who disagrees with you. Don’t be upset when they lash back. Neither is OK, but the latter is at least to be expected.

Esthier on January 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM

For all you folks who are pissed at this guy, I’ve got two words for you.

Prodigal Son.

Nethicus on January 6, 2011 at 6:17 PM

We’ll see if he is. That has yet to be determined.

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Y-not on January 6, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Where di you read that they’re going to have two guys read all the announcements twice?

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

You seem to be assuming that just because this eventually worked out for him that it’s what he’d recommend for others or that it somehow teaches that this is a valid life choice. We’re talking about this because it’s so rare, because this was maybe a once in a million chance.

To be so angry about this as though it’s teaching bad habits to children is to be angry that putting lottery winnings on TV might also encourage your children to quit their jobs and just start gambling because it worked for someone else.

Esthier on January 6, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I wonder if he can throw a football? Did he torture anything to a slow horrible death? Because if those are both true, he might be worth millions.

But no second chances for petty junkies.

Professor Blather on January 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I liked that point the best.

This thread is a fascinating debate, thanks largely to BlueState. While I disagree with Blue on the issue, I agree that we should not Steny him, so long as he doesn’t Steny us.

Hoyer: Tea Party People Come From Unhappy Families

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Where that they didn’t already have an opening because someone quit?

Esthier on January 6, 2011 at 6:31 PM

As I thought, you’re making stuff up. And, apparently you know nothing about how voice talent works if you think the Cavaliers only have need for one person.

Here’s some actual reporting on his job offers.

Y-not on January 6, 2011 at 6:31 PM

That has yet to be determined.

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 6:24 PM

If he has truly returned to God it already has been.

darwin-t on January 6, 2011 at 6:32 PM

We’ll see if he is. That has yet to be determined.

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 6:24 PM

You don’t appear to be withholding judgment.

Esthier on January 6, 2011 at 6:32 PM

wow, so AP is single handedly trying to keep the NYTimes, Newsweek, and NBC in business now?

das411 on January 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Watch the videos. There isn’t a single person who can say the man isn’t humbled and gracious for what life has surprised him with. Too bad (SOME of us) didn’t learn humility. He’s thrilled at the chance to get back to work, at at the multitudes of offers he has received. I’ve been out of work since 4/2/09. Still looking daily for work, and I don’t sit around claiming that he stole a “real person’s chance” at a job.

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM

He has a beautiful voice and his talk about finally getting God into his life was to me, the saving of this man. I wish him all the best.

Urban Infidel on January 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I’ve always been a sucker for a great redemption story. When I saw Mr. Williams choking up during some TV interview last night it brought some tears to my eyes, and I can’t help but root for him.

Gang-of-One on January 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Good Luck to you and I hope the Road to success leads you to happiness!

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM

You don’t appear to be withholding judgment.

Esthier on January 6, 2011 at 6:32 PM

You appear to think only one judgment should be withheld.

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Good Luck to you and I hope the Road to success leads you to happiness!

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Thank you upinak. Just got a part-time offer today. Hopping on it like R.Kelley on a 14 yr old.

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Well, we can only guess at this point how genuine he is. He might be just a great con artist. And how will he turn out in the longer run? Who can tell that?

My impression is that his main fault is indulging himself to be a bum, inflicting harm more to himself rather than to others. Unless I learn he’s done more than petty harm (such as petty theft from locked cars and changing out of wet clothes in public with his girl friend) to other people , I’m cheering for him.

Brains, personality, talent, education, instinct, sports ability, appearance, voice, to name a few, are marketable traits. Let’s let the market decide on second chances and compensation, not some elite’s notions about other people’s worthiness for ‘forgiveness’.

But if we decide to impose on free markets our own notion of justice and retribution, let’s go after Vick before we bother with Ted Williams.

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM

You know what?

We should keep a jaundiced eye on his actions, based upon his past, but we should NOT get in the way of his possible redemption and reintroduction into the mainstream. We should encourage it and help him direct his energies productively.

JeffWeimer on January 6, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Hah..whats funny is when they said he looked like Obama…that’s a juvy attempt to equate Obama with something greatly popular and admired now…like when they compared Obamas plight to the Chilean miners.

malkinmania on January 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Tell them they should pray it never happens to them. Recovering from the addictions without a counselor could mean he didn’t remember how magnificent he used to be.

The radio business is show business, and getting anybody to return your phone calls is a miracle if you’re not already in the business. Couple that with a mind that repeatedly reminds you what a loser you actually are, and looking for work might seem pretty pointless.

The moral here is that one should never stop looking for work. He just forgot that.

angelat0763 on January 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Wow. I really like this guy.

Kevin M on January 6, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Recovering from the addictions without a counselor …

angelat0763 on January 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Respectfully, recovering from addiction without self-discipline and will power is much harder.

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

recovering without a 12 step group is damn near impossible. Good thing that he’s found one. Why depend on self-discipline when it has been proven to be a failure among addicts? There is a proven path to sobriety in this country since the early part of the 20th century. AND, it works.

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I doubt God is handing miracles to people who simply refuse to do for themselves. This guy said it himself- he was waiting for someone to drive up and hand him a job in his narrow chosen field.

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Courtesy of Merriam-Webster:

grace
noun \ˈgrās\
Definition of GRACE
a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification b : a virtue coming from God c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace

macblanegirl on January 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I wish him the best…but I did work with the homeless on two movies, and they just eventually couldn’t keep it together for more than a day or so.

Hope I’m wrong, but I would not get hopes up too much.

PattyJ on January 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I respect that AA works for some. Just not for all. And AA works because it reinforces self-discipline and will power, not because it replaces it. The cure for addiction is within yourself, not within peer groups or counselors.

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Sorry for the strikeout. Hit the wrong button.

I’d add, the cure may be with meds too, but that seems a bit down the road yet.

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 9:25 PM

“We understand as perhaps few can.”

God bless, Mr. Williams. One day at a time, indeed.

pbundy on January 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Sometimes, going to those agencies is not an option. More specifically, they’re already too overloaded to provide help. Or their target audience are not people who want to get on their feet – but those who can’t or don’t want to climb off the bottom. How do I know?

I was homeless.

The place I was renting became a small sinkhole. I went to the usual places anyone else would go to in that situation. Local charities, the VA, Red Cross, you name it. Everyone I went to either blew me off, or tried to find a way to take advantage.

I was on the street for nearly 3 months. This was followed by nearly being burned out of the place I just rented. Imagine moving in on Friday, evacuating Sunday, in an emergency shelter by the next Friday. I dropped out of college. But I took care of my obligations, kept my job, even got a promotion during this mess. Eventually, I put things together to what you may call normal. It took a year, and literally traveling to the other side of the world and back. But I did it.

Sometimes, the only person you have to rely on is yourself. You can’t expect the same help others may get, or any help at all. Moreover, sometimes you have to get things done your own way, while picking through the “advice/help” sent your way. Because failure is always possible. It’s just not an option for you.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, this guy did what he had to. His own way. You haven’t been in that situation – I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Don’t knock it.

Suihei Deloi on January 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I love this story. This guy’s story should be a movie. I pray he stays on the right path.

Hening on January 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM

TheBlueSite on January 6, 2011

go suck an egg…

equanimous on January 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Jesus the Christ handed out a lot of miracles to those who had previously made poor choices in life. The woman with an issue of blood comes to mind. She probably had an STD.

Jesus Himself said that the well don’t need a doctor but the sick do, referring to sinners wanting to escape the earthly and heavenly consequences of their sins, and He healed all who believed that he possessed the power to allow them to be healed.

Mr. Williams received the miracle of healing. Let’s pray that he “goes and sins no more.”

baldilocks on January 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM

OK, please excuse me if this doesn’t format properly. I’ll buy a new mouse tomorrow.

AA works, not because it reinforces self discipline, but that encourages people to look beyond themselves for the solution. Someone can spend 5 years sober, but without a support network, they can relapse in minutes. There are relapse triggers everywhere, if you know what to look for. Try watching ANY TV channel, and count how many alcohol commercials there are per hour.

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM

The issue not whether Williams was a doper and felon. And the issue is not whether some people have gone overboard in giving Williams breaks that others have not received.

We should just congratulate Williams for his current sobriety and support him in his effort to stay sober.

slp on January 7, 2011 at 12:49 AM

He is from my hometown…he already did a voice over for our local conservative radio station, before he left town. I heard Rush saying he looks like an older Geraldo..I beg to differ..the minute I saw him with his hair cut..he is a dead ringer for an old Obama…altho he is only 53…he looks older.

Xango Annie on January 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM

The lesson here is redemption. If this man really has gotten himself straight, and can hold an honest job, i say good on him. Is there anybody here who has never had his back against the wall, or do you all live perfect lives like you lead others to believe? we all stumble and fall, and I’m including myself in this. we all make bad choices. Some of us can come back, some cant or wont. One thing I’ve noticed on this site over the years, is there is a serious lack of Christian love and charity. And I’m not talking about the government’s version of that either. The attitude seems to be if he’s down, keep him down. If his back is against the wall, let’s see how tight we can keep him there.
Ok, I’m done ranting. Flame away.

abcurtis on January 7, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Agree he is the real deal. Having been there I can sense it not just in his voice, but his actions, and words.

Hi admission of his problems but not demanding the government of a politician give him an existence. He just asks for the the chance to show he can be a productive addition to this country’s future.

You go Ted, but please do not sell out and remember recovery occurs “One Day at a Time”

MSGTAS on January 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I am all for teaching my kids that hard work is the way to get what you need and want. But they also know there is a lottery and that sometimes people are handed a one in a million shot. Even if they did act like a piece of crap for a good portion of their life.

TturnP on January 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM

This story is a perfect study for the difference between “equal opportunity” and “equal outcomes.”

Nobody owes anybody an “outcome”!

landlines on January 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

We’ll see if he is. That has yet to be determined.

Ronnie on January 6, 2011 at 6:24 PM

And how thankful I am that it’s not you who makes that determination!

Eren on January 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Great pipes. Now he’s gotta work on his teeth.

Coronagold on January 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM

ENOUGH ALREADY!

I’m truly thrilled for this guy…it’s a great story.

But how much of this are we going to get by the media.

This is a classic case of overkill.

asc85 on January 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I’m happy for this guy. I hope he utilizes his God-given talent to straighten out his life and then give back a little.

But……..I can’t seem to ……..I haven’t even listend to audio/video of his “golden pipes”. I read the initial story….felt good about it……..and then moved on. Of greater concern to me is the thousands of birds falling out of the sky all over the world right now. And the fish……..and the crabs.

David2.0 on January 7, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Courtesy of Merriam-Webster:

grace
noun \ˈgrās\
Definition of GRACE

macblanegirl on January 6, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Clever.

Now define merited divine assistance.

David2.0 on January 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM

David2.0 on January 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Do you believe young children merit the assistance of their parents? If not, why not?

Bizarro No. 1 on January 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Stop bustin on this guy! I went out for a smoke yesterday and got a chance to talk with him. He is sincere and a genuine talent. He pissed his life away on drugs and God saw fit to give him another chance. I asked him, while we were smoking in the Plaza, “So, now that you’ve been given another chance are you going to piss this one away too?”. I was absolutely blown away by his answer, “God saw fit to give me another chance. I will thank him every day, but this is so overwhelming. Sometimes I just want to go hide but there is a reason for this.” I said to him that God will see you through this but don’t forget where you’ve been.” Now that was about as asinine a statement I could have made but he wasn’t offended. I only want to wish Ted the best at this point so that he can actually start being the father and grand-father that he wants to be.

denniscb on January 7, 2011 at 6:16 PM

wonder how long before he returns to a life of drugs/alcohol?

noticed that Obama didn’t get him his handout, so now he’s having to work

jediwebdude on January 7, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I don’t see the downside in rooting for this guy. You don’t have to endorse his every action, decision and the life he’s led.

Mason on January 8, 2011 at 5:07 PM