Video: Man with golden voice reunites with mom after 20 years

posted at 7:55 pm on January 6, 2011 by Allahpundit

I know, I know — it’s overkill at this point. But I’ve got to ride this traffic pony for as long as I can. Three hours after I posted the “Today Show” clips, our internal traffic meter tells me it’s still the most popular post on the site. If it’s Ted Williams you want, it’s Ted Williams you shall have. Look at it this way: It’s either this or another 2012 post.

A touching moment here, especially when you realize that they haven’t seen each other in 20 years. If only there weren’t … photographers conspicuously present. Exit quotation: “The Dispatch says the reunion was delayed because of wrangling between two TV networks.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Ah, the media.

amerpundit on January 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Damn cool!

pugwriter on January 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Dude wears his hard living. They almost look the same age.

swamp_yankee on January 6, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Dammit AP, I went all day without crying over this… DAMN YOU BETA MALE!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 8:03 PM

He doesn’t deserve to have a mother!!!11!!1

/Bluesite

John the Libertarian on January 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I wish him the best.

GT on January 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I miss my mommy, but there won’t be any reunion in this life.

Kensington on January 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM

OH for the love of crap.

rollthedice on January 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Never EVER quit praying for your kids !!
Sniff.

pambi on January 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Yes, AP, power to the people! [HT: Laura Ingraham]

In the headline thread, thanks mainly to BlueState, some fascinating issues were raised. Kindly indulge me a repost, in the interest of continuing the discussion:

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Well, we can only guess at this point how genuine he is. He might be just a great con artist. And how will he turn out in the longer run? Who can tell that?

My impression is that his main fault is indulging himself to be a bum, inflicting harm more to himself rather than to others. Unless I learn he’s done more than petty harm (such as petty theft from locked cars and changing out of wet clothes in public with his girl friend) to other people , I’m cheering for him.

Brains, personality, talent, education, instinct, sports ability, appearance, voice, to name a few, are marketable traits. Let’s let the market decide on second chances and compensation, not some elite’s notions about other people’s worthiness for ‘forgiveness’.

But if we decide to impose on free markets our own notion of justice and retribution, let’s go after Vick before we bother with Ted Williams.

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Wow, that’s very touching. Good thing Ted didn’t give a crap about the cameras and let it all hang out. I hope he makes good, for both of their sakes.

smellthecoffee on January 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I get strong “Truman Show” vibes off this guy. Not that that’s a bad thing. But it’s as if now all of his joys and sorrows will be broadcast live to an eagerly waiting worldwide audience.

Paul-Cincy on January 6, 2011 at 8:08 PM

One day at a time, brother.

The Ugly American on January 6, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Just curious, why is the mom now back in his life?

Notorious GOP on January 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM

He kinda looks like a weatherworn Barack… maybe in 2012?

Fallon on January 6, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I am cautiously optimistic. I hope the best for this man and his story is an emotional one. It would be quite a while before I trusted him with the keys to the store if you get my drift.

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Just curious, why is the mom now back in his life?

Notorious GOP on January 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Man with golden voice for 2012, dem side.

Seems to have more talents and emotion than Obama.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM

$$$$$$$!!!

My Baby!!!!!

BigWyo on January 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Just curious, why is the mom now back in his life?

Notorious GOP on January 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM

He went to see her. I would not call it being back in his life. This guy is not too far from the past he needs to bury and I bet she knows it. I will guarantee you she is locking the liquor cabinet and hiding the jewelry. I am not trying to be funny .

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM

If we are getting played here I am going to kill the guy.

I guess I am just jaded. These things never are as “sweet” as they actually are.

Hurricanes on January 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM

What a jaded bunch.

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Both, mother and son, are pretty creepy.

Creepier yet are the media.

Meredith and Lower were weting their undergarments over this. Obama definitely lost his luster.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Hurricanes : What is the worst that can happen if he disappoints you or me? Not a whole lot. We can just hope he does well.

BTW I live in the Columbus area and have heard two separate businessmen speak of having to chase this guy out of their stores recently for loitering and stealing.

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:17 PM

There are thousands of men, especially those who smoke, who have this kind of a voice.

Get over yourself stupid (bleeding) liberals.

This guy will be more famous than Obama in a few days. I bet the narcissist hates him. Next, though, meeting in the WH and Obama will call him “my brotha”.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Just curious, why is the mom now back in his life?

Notorious GOP on January 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM

it isn’t easy when you have a addiction. Think about his family and what they may have had to go through.

Hopefully this will be a good reunion for all.

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Schad – how is his mom creepy?

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM

cool story. saw him open the today show…not on purpose tho’

ted c on January 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM

. Next, though, meeting in the WH and Obama will call him “my brotha”.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Within 2 weeks, I’m betting.

Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:20 PM

OH for the love of crap.

rollthedice on January 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Quote of the Year! Brilliant!

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:20 PM

*snort*

What if Ted sang Allah’s favorite song… Chocolate Rain.

hehehhehhehheeeee

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Schad – how is his mom creepy?

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM

You’ll know in a few days, max. a few weeks.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Hopefully this will be a good reunion for all.

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I am sure his mom (as much as she loves him)wasn’t ready to send a drug addict a airline ticket.He likely would have declined as most users are escaping life . Usually things like that don’t turn out well.If you listen to him talk about the lessons his mother taught him the failure was his…not hers.

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Within 2 weeks, I’m betting.

Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:20 PM

ugh I hope he doesn’t. If he had any dignity.

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

You’ll know in a few days, max. a few weeks.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

That really doesn’t answer the question. You must have seen or heard something. To me she just seems like a disappointed loving parent. Did you watch the video where one of the first things she said was: ‘don’t disappoint me’.

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM

If he had any dignity.

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

That’s a tuffy.

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:24 PM

This guy will be more famous than Obama in a few days

And more qualified to be President.

Emperor Norton on January 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM

All the best Ted Williams.

Republican Yogi on January 6, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I want a great job, my mommy and lots of attention. Think I’ll go steal something, get nekked in public and pass out drunk on the street. Will that work?

This was a touching story until the crazy libs started drooling all over the guy. Hope it works out, but enough already!

Cody1991 on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Ask yourselves this quesion:

How come this dude didn’t use his voice all his life? It’s not like he just inherited or found this voice?

TV and all other idiots using him, then book, TV show, film…he’s on skid row again…oh, snap…all forgotten.

This is a huge American diversion story. It’s entertaining to see the people’s reaction. The world is full of morons.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Which one are you talking about? They do look alike. Long lost brothers?

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

ugh I hope he doesn’t. If he had any dignity.

upinak on January 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

WTF are you talking about? Barry is classless buffoon and this kind of stuff has his name written all over it.

I’m betting he gets a seat next to Meeshell at the SOTU speech.

Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Agree with you guys that Obama exploitation of this guy Williams is soon, if Williams passes security clearances (that Obama himself could not).

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I’m betting he gets a seat next to Meeshell at the SOTU speech.

Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Usher for the SOTU

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

No, not yet. That will be at opening day for the Southsiders.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM

This guy will be more famous than Obama in a few days

And more qualified to be President.

Emperor Norton on January 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Well, at least equally qualified.

petefrt on January 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I’m betting he gets a seat next to Meeshell at the SOTU speech.

Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

No way he sits next to Big MO. She couldn’t tolerate sitting next to someone who’s better looking than she is.

Cody1991 on January 6, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Yeah, he’s got the same voice he had 3 weeks ago. He used the same dulcet tones in court and with the various law enforcement officials throughout his life.

It will be nice if the guy can make some cash doing what he’s cut out to do…which is nothing. But this contrived BS reunion crap is nothing more than TMZ BS.

BigWyo on January 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Did she bail him out after each of his multiple arrests?

BowHuntingTexas on January 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Say whatever you will about Mr. Williams but he has already brought me more joy and hope in the human condition than anything Obama ever has. Oh, and it didn’t cost me a dime.

fourdeucer on January 6, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Ask yourselves this quesion:

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

He said he worked in radio til 92-3. You’re not paying attention to the details..

Republican Yogi on January 6, 2011 at 8:36 PM

No, not yet. That will be at opening day for the Southsiders.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 8:31 PM

At Cominsky Field???? If that happens I have some tickets to sell real cheap.

Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Just curious, why is the mom now back in his life?

Notorious GOP on January 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM

When one has been raised with humility and becomes a homeless,drug addicted alcoholic they don’t show their faces around those who knew them beforehand.

darwin-t on January 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM

CWforFreedom on January 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Quote of the day. If she was smart, she’d lock up every bottle. Not that he’s not sober, but, if you have an addict in the family, and you care, you lock up that stuff tighter than a drum. Not because you hate them, but because you want to help them. For instance: I’ve been playing poker for a decade every friday night with friends. Then they got a keg-erator. Haven’t been back. They don’t understand, or worse; they want me to regress, just to “have him around”.

If his mother hid the booze, then good for her. A True repentent addict would thank her for it.

viviliberoomuori on January 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Look at it this way: It’s either this or another 2012 Palin post.

FIFY, AP.

BacaDog on January 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I am happy for this guy and all that. After all, it is a heartwarming story. But it’s almost creepy after he’s cleaned up a little but how this guy looks like Obama in some some of those clips.

Maybe The Pantload’s ratings would be a little higher if he had this guy’s pipes.

That said, I am glad he’s getting speaking gigs and all. It would be a shame to let the guy who last hit over .400 in the Majors go homeless and stuff.

The War Planner on January 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Now hold on one minute! Something fishy is going on here. I can’t put my finger on it, but I’m going on record as saying something fishy is going on here.

Maybe it’s just the disgusting, gutwrenching, horrifyingly exploitative media spectacle that’s happening.

That’s probably it.

But still! Something fishy…

BJ* on January 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I have more faith in his redemption than Michael Vick’s.

Disturb the Universe on January 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM

. Next, though, meeting in the WH and Obama will call him “my brotha”.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM

You forget…

… the State of the Union speech fast approaches!

Seven Percent Solution on January 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM

fourdeucer on January 6, 2011 at 8:36 PM

This is close to what I was thinking, so I’ll quote.

I hope this is a new beginning for him and that he succeeds at his new job – whichever he takes.

And I don’t frankly care if he turns out to be a fraud. Because he’s brought me more genuine hope and happiness in the last couple days, than anything in a while. We pay actors and directors to film things that make us feel good, and even if this turns out to be a fraud, it’s no less valuable than anything in the movies or on television.

Thanks, Ted (And to that unsung hero that filmed Ted!) and good luck, Friend. Make the most of it, and keep thanking God.

tickleddragon on January 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM

At Cominsky Field???? If that happens I have some tickets to sell real cheap.

Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM

How is that guilty by association working out for ya? I hope he shows up for a Northside-Southside game one of these days, throws out the first pitch and gets serenaded to Nah,nah,nah, nah, nah, nah, nah hey, hey hey, goodbye….. As a Cub fan I can only dream, and dream and dream….Yep, save it. I’m a gluten for punishment.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I’m a gluten for punishment.

CTSherman on January 6, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I know this was a typo…but it made me giggle. So, without punishment, you’re gluten-free? :)

Forgive me. :)

tickleddragon on January 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM

All Hail the Messiah!

dmann on January 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Beautiful…

I hope that this overwhelming media will not force him to take a drink or a drug again… IOW, Katie Couric? Stay away from him you knarly sniveling beast!

Key West Reader on January 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Key West Reader on January 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Hows the weather…? My youngest is starting her last semester at UM…I love Miami!

dmann on January 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Hopefully this will be a good reunion for all.

upinak

And a happy ending that sticks.

Instead of sucks.

WOuldn’t that be lovely for a change?

tree hugging sister on January 6, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Scene: SOTU
Starring: Barry Soetero Obama
Teleprompter says:

“I see I have a big crowd in my audience tonight! Nah, I wanna point out a man in my audience… A man, just like me. A black man. Black, like me. He came from humble beginnings just like me. And he loves basketball, just like me. And I lived a life the same as him and look at me, how far I rose from the dirty halls of Harvard to my very own White House”

/Aaaaaaand, the audience pukes in unison, hi-def and in stereo.

Key West Reader on January 6, 2011 at 9:16 PM

IOW, Katie Couric? Stay away from him you knarly sniveling beast!

Key West Reader on January 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Lol! She might go cougar on him and entice Ted with her wild dancing. Not good, not good….. that would surely force him to fall off the wagon.

Cody1991 on January 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Cody1991 on January 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Gahhhhh! Bleach! Bleach for my brain and me eyes! Post Haste!

Key West Reader on January 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM

WOW. I hope this doesn’t end tragically.

We were all teary eyed.

Prayers for Mr. Williams and his family.

AREN’T WE ALL THE PRODIGAL SONS that Mr. Williams was to his Mom?

PappyD61 on January 6, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Let’s all hope that he has turned his life around. Only time will tell…………….I certainly pray that has. He does have a golden chance to do it. And, I only hope that the lime-light doesn’t just go to his head

SC.Charlie on January 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Maybe I have been listening to Beck too much, but I am not so much of a conspiracy theorist. On the other hand, something smells bad here..please hear me out!

If we are getting played here I am going to kill the guy.
Hurricanes on January 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Ask yourselves this question:

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM

My black helicopter theory:
Diversion, yes it is…why? What is going on now that the press does not want us to know? Most of us here know for a fact that the press has dropped the ball on major stories while sensationalising ‘feel good’ stories…which I believe was wilful.
I have one thing that bothers me about this guy’s mannerisms…I am sure there are not a lot of ppl who visit this site that have been involved with someone that has been on the white horse (cocaine/crack/etc). Look at his actions while he talks…touching the nose, waving his legs while sitting down, uncontrollable arm movements. I am not sure if he is still on the junk or not, but his behaviour says yes…I have seen it before many times!
As I said, this smells bad…I hope for the best for this guy, but it seems too much like wag the dog.

lsutiger on January 6, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Just thought of it…they (the LSM) are pulling ppl away from the new House being bold, the reading of the constitution and being Proud of America! Maybe?

lsutiger on January 6, 2011 at 9:37 PM

And in Mr. Williams voice…….it reminds us that the great Tragedy of Homelessness is that each one of these wonderful people has a gift that’s lost because of their circumstances, or choices, or both.

Every lost soul that I see on the downtown streets is a terrible loss for us all.

God Bless Mr. Williams. We pray you have wisdom and don’t get destroyed by the same media that’s making you into something.

PappyD61 on January 6, 2011 at 9:37 PM

PappyD61 on January 6, 2011 at 9:37 PM

That’s the essence of the story for me. I wish Williams well and hope this is a new start for him, however it looks as though the media is making a spectacle of him. No doubt we will hear more as they don’t care to do much serious reporting taking on the hard issues.

Cody1991 on January 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM

This guy reeks of crackhead tweak. There’s no way in hell he has been clean for two years. Two days maybe but not two years.

This will not end well.

GBob on January 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Sorry AP, there was/is only one Ted Williams and this guy doesn’t even come close. I can’t get all that interessted in this story. I guess I’ve heard it one too many times and it always ended badly.

Deanna on January 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM

This will not end well.

GBob on January 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Exactly what I was saying….something just isn’t right with his mannerisms…

lsutiger on January 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I’m happy for them both. Only in America could this sort of story happen. I hope and pray that Ted Williams is clean and makes the best of the new opportunities that are open before him. I also hope that he dumps his loser friends from the street cuz all they’ll do is drag him back down into the muck out of envy and jealousy. Move on and don’t look back, Ted; remember Lot’s wife.

SilentWatcher on January 6, 2011 at 10:03 PM

You’ll know in a few days, max. a few weeks.

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Or not….

unclesmrgol on January 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I wish him well but now that the media has given him, his 15 minutes he will have some skeletons that can not easily be ignored once they come out and he will fade into less than a footnote by March. The faster they come the faster they go.

tjexcite on January 6, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I wish him all the best.

CVMA-Dredd on January 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM

At Cominsky Field???? If that happens I have some tickets to sell real cheap.
Knucklehead on January 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM

That’s Comisky Feild, Obama.

Coronagold on January 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM

woop, “field”.

Coronagold on January 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I hope he gets his job and all, and then let the guy alone.
If we keep seeing movies of him for the next 6 weeks this story will get old. I’d hate to see the media ruin this guy.

JellyToast on January 6, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Rush said today that before he cut his hair he looked like Geraldo when he wore his hair that way.

silvernana on January 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Really, it’s one thing to help build a guy up, but the MFM lurves to tear a guy down for ratings.

Coronagold on January 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Wow! I hope it all works out well. Just on the surface itself there is a complex story here.

Mason on January 6, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Looks like nobody believes us GBob

lsutiger on January 7, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Cody1991 on January 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM

If for no other reason than to scrub that image from his brain. And I can’t say I’d blame him, either.

Vic on January 7, 2011 at 1:54 AM

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/celebrity/meet-felon-golden-voice – DethMetalCookieMonst on January 7, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Have read it before. He really, really hit the bottom. Let’s all hope this attention/publicity doesn’t trigger another episode. And, he really does turn his life around. At the age of 52, his time is running out.

SC.Charlie on January 7, 2011 at 6:15 AM

I expect Gibbs to be doing the “OH Mommmy” thing when he packs his Family guy suitcase and heads home.

malkinmania on January 7, 2011 at 7:20 AM

This kind of touch feely, feel good stuff is right up the libs alley which is why he was on Today. What they don’t see is this is a Christmas miracle. He has been redeemed and given another opportunity to live the American dream and reunite with his family.

Kissmygrits on January 7, 2011 at 9:21 AM