Video: The man with the golden voice

posted at 2:31 pm on January 5, 2011 by Allahpundit

Pelosi just handed the gavel to Boehner as I’m writing this (video coming in a bit), so today is now officially all about feelin’ good. On that note, to cleanse the palate, here’s the first viral video phenomenon of 2011: Just two days after the clip went up on YouTube, this guy’s already received 4.5 million views. And that’s not all he’s received. Job offers for radio gigs, including a $10,000 proposal to do voiceover work, started trickling in yesterday — and now this:

The Cleveland Cavaliers have offered a job to a homeless Ohio man with a golden radio voice…

Carper said any job could include working at Quicken Loans Arena, the NBA team’s downtown arena. It is not yet known if Williams has accepted the team’s offer.

Williams’ compelling tale also has drawn interest from NFL Films, which has chronicled pro football for nearly 50 years and wants to contact Williams.

“It’s that voice,” said Kevin McLoughlin, director of post-production films for the NFL told The Associated Press. “When I heard him tell his story, I said, ‘That’s what we do. This guy can tell a story.’ Somehow, some way, I need to get a demo with him.”

“The man deserves a second chance,” said McLoughlin, who has not yet been able to contact Williams.

Brilliant PR by both organizations to pursue him but especially the Cavs, who have plenty of spare cash lying around these days and who could use a hard dose of feelin’ good around the arena. Two clips for you here, one the YouTube vid that made Williams famous and the other from this morning’s “Early Show” after he’d cleaned up a bit. Exit question: Coming soon, America’s new reality-show hit — “Talent at the Off-Ramp”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I swear he looks like Screaming Jay Hawkins.

nimrod on January 5, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Glad to see he’s getting a second chance. I wonder how long until he gets his call from Zero?

Splashman on January 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Man, I wished the Indians had signed him.

That would be a hell of a lead story for the Plain Dealer.

“Cleveland Indians sign Ted Williams.”

Good Solid B-Plus on January 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM

What a great, inspiring story! I hope he can turn his life around. God gave him that golden voice and I hope he can see that it will be his salvation. Shoulder to the wheel, nose to the grindstone. I have a feeling that he is ready to start a new life with new focus.

BetseyRoss on January 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM

well, I’m a “Friend of Bill”…

I know how hard that row is to hoe

I got lucky with an understanding boss and a month in a coma…

I wish him all the luck in the world..

Lonevoice on January 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I hope that he can stay clean and put a life together for himself. While people can change, I consider past behavior to be the best predictor of future behavior. Here’s hoping that this man is an exception to that rule.

MJBrutus on January 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I heard him interviewed this morning on 97.9 WNCI where the CBS video was shot and he sure seemed sincere and appreciative. What a nice fellow. I really hope this works out well for him. I hope his friends are supportive as this situation is very stressful much like winning the lottery.
Years ago I heard that half of big money lottery winners wish they had never won.

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Of course: he’s a felon. That was fast.

BJ* on January 5, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Wow. And he doesn’t even need a teleprompter.

Kevin71 on January 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Wow. And he doesn’t even need a teleprompter. Kevin71 on January 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM

But IF he had one he could be president. He’s easily as qualified as Obama AND he sounds much better.

Mojave Mark on January 5, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Clearly he needs to apply for Federal Assistance and stop being so so pushy with this Capitalist “I want to succeed” crap.

Get a voucher, get on the dole, give up your dreams……The Progressive Change we’ve been waiting for.

PappyD61 on January 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM

From the Statesman:

Left homeless after his life and career were ruined by drugs and alcohol, Ted Williams has been offered a job by the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers and is being pursued by NFL Films for possible work. He and his compelling tale became an online sensation after The Columbus Dispatch posted a clip of Williams demonstrating his voice-over skills by the side of the road. The man has a great voice.

[....]

The Cavaliers offered the 53-year-old a two-year contract, including living expenses, for a job that could include announcing work at the team’s arena. In court records, his address is listed as “Streets of Columbus.”

Read more: RPT Ted Williams Update

papa_giorgio on January 5, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Wow. Just wow. And here I am lil’ ol’me, sick-again-curled in a fetal position w/headaches and stomach problems. It lasted all morning and part of the pm.

After Alka Seltzer, Tums and painkillers, I hope I can sleep good tonight (and that my dog will allow me).

But you know what? I almost died too, and sometimes I struggle on what I went through. But I see experiences like these and makes me think on WTF I am feeling when it comes to death. At least he’s lucky to have a family to back him up, especially a mom.

I read once on a Betty Jean Eadie book (a NDE book) that the most beautiful spirits that she was shown while she was in Heaven, were those of people like him; the homeless, the ones that have genuinely beautiful souls.

Hats off to you, gentleman. In person I bet his voice in person should sound somewhat surround-sound. He can pitch in for our “Voice of God” that was famous for movie previous, that passed away.

ProudPalinFan on January 5, 2011 at 11:18 PM

I looked at smoking gun and his felon sheet. I pray that he has really cleaned up his act and gets on successfully with the rest of his life.

SC.Charlie on January 6, 2011 at 6:16 AM

this is just totally awesome. I love this guy. this is what America is all about. DD

Darvin Dowdy on January 6, 2011 at 7:16 AM

Saw this in a couple other sites linking us to this story. listening to the gentleman he does have a gift and my sense is that he is the real thing that deserves a second chance.

Someone is going to grab him up quick and he’s going to make a big mark for himself.

MSGTAS on January 6, 2011 at 8:16 AM

what a great story to start the new year off :) thanks for sharing.

nwpammy on January 6, 2011 at 8:42 AM

I hope and pray it all works out for the guy, but my gut feeling is that we’ll see another story in the future about him being arrested for some felony and then we’ll all say, “what a waste.”

PackerBronco on January 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I’m for second chances.

But I do admit, this story sort of bothered me. I have younger women friends who messed up, got involved with the wrong guys, had babies. One is working 2 jobs now. She’s even got job history at this point.

She is so trying. Boy, she can’t get a break, while this guy does?

AnninCA on January 6, 2011 at 11:23 AM

She is so trying. Boy, she can’t get a break, while this guy does?

AnninCA on January 6, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but what makes your friends more deserving than this guy, or anyone other person who’s battled drugs, alcohol, and been homeless?

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM

You-Eh-Vee on January 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Maybe because her friend has not been convicted of multiple felonies?

PackerBronco on January 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM

He looks like an alternate universe Obama!

baldilocks on January 6, 2011 at 4:06 PM

If they ever do a movie with a Sammy Davis Jr. character in it, this is the guy to play Sammy.

albill on January 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM