Video: The man with the golden voice

posted at 2:31 pm on January 5, 2011 by Allahpundit

Pelosi just handed the gavel to Boehner as I’m writing this (video coming in a bit), so today is now officially all about feelin’ good. On that note, to cleanse the palate, here’s the first viral video phenomenon of 2011: Just two days after the clip went up on YouTube, this guy’s already received 4.5 million views. And that’s not all he’s received. Job offers for radio gigs, including a $10,000 proposal to do voiceover work, started trickling in yesterday — and now this:

The Cleveland Cavaliers have offered a job to a homeless Ohio man with a golden radio voice…

Carper said any job could include working at Quicken Loans Arena, the NBA team’s downtown arena. It is not yet known if Williams has accepted the team’s offer.

Williams’ compelling tale also has drawn interest from NFL Films, which has chronicled pro football for nearly 50 years and wants to contact Williams.

“It’s that voice,” said Kevin McLoughlin, director of post-production films for the NFL told The Associated Press. “When I heard him tell his story, I said, ‘That’s what we do. This guy can tell a story.’ Somehow, some way, I need to get a demo with him.”

“The man deserves a second chance,” said McLoughlin, who has not yet been able to contact Williams.

Brilliant PR by both organizations to pursue him but especially the Cavs, who have plenty of spare cash lying around these days and who could use a hard dose of feelin’ good around the arena. Two clips for you here, one the YouTube vid that made Williams famous and the other from this morning’s “Early Show” after he’d cleaned up a bit. Exit question: Coming soon, America’s new reality-show hit — “Talent at the Off-Ramp”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

God Bless him!! I hope he finds work and doesn’t go back to drinking and drugging!

Elizabetty on January 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Hope he gets rich…at least a good living off that voice. Then let’s tax the hell out of him!

WashJeff on January 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Wow.

amerpundit on January 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM

good for him. Keep your nose to the grindstone and you never know what blessings await you.

ted c on January 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Couldn’t watch the second video as it leads with a pic of Katie Couric.

mankai on January 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM

What a great story.

Slublog on January 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Well I really hope someone gives this guy some work. Bcs he really has a wonderfully beautiful voice.

Badger40 on January 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM

It’s not fair, he should share his voice with those with less fortunate voices.

mankai on January 5, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Great job offer…a house offer…In America, anything is possible. One day you’re begging for change, the next you’re doing interviews on TV and radio. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

JetBoy on January 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Sounds like he’s been through the ringer…my hope for him is that, in finding success once again and like he’s never known, is that he maintains his sobriety and employment. Sounds like he’s worked really hard to get this far, combined some luck and pluck, and if he continues to work that hard, he can’t go wrong.

gryphon202 on January 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM

He looks good cleaned up. Get some dental work done, and he’ll easily be doing some voice over work.

Congrats fella. Don’t screw this up.

portlandon on January 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM

today is now officially all about feelin’ good

And Blyleven did make it into the Hall of Fame!

rbj on January 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

WTF!!!!
WOW!!!!!

He!! yes this guy has talent and deserves as many chances as Darryl Strawberry.

Stay clean and the sky’s the limit.
Good luck and God Bless you.

Baxter Greene on January 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Wow, indeed! Good luck, bro.

soozer47 on January 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Don’t spend your paycheck on crack this time.

Ronnie on January 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

The next Don LaFontaine.

In a world…

The Ugly American on January 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Redemption is for everyone. God Bless him.

Amadeus on January 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

See AllahPundit, the homeless can be more than the target of your “Most Dangerous Game” man-hunt.

LincolntheHun on January 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Loved the second video interview even with Couric’s weasely face before the interview started.

blueknight99 on January 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Before you know it, he’ll be the shooting guard on that awful team.

search4truth on January 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM

blueknight99 on January 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM

That’s right, it’s so nice to see someone make it who’s so grateful and relies on the Lord.

Inkblots on January 5, 2011 at 2:47 PM

“I would like to be a tax paying citizen” – When was the last time you heard someone down on their luck say those words? America needs more people with this kind of attitude.

brewcrew67 on January 5, 2011 at 2:48 PM

He shouldn’t have cut off that wild head of hair!

slickwillie2001 on January 5, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Drove past him every day…

Osis on January 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Sorry, he probably won’t accept any of those offers since he’s getting paid more being on welfare and/or unemployment

davek70 on January 5, 2011 at 2:50 PM

God bless him. I hope he can stay clean and employed. Sometimes the success can lead to celebration that leads to being back on the street.

JammieWearingFool on January 5, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I’m really glad to see he’s being given a second chance at life, and he sure does have a fantastic voice.

That said, I’m a little sick of stories where someone throws their entire life away and then they’re given a house, a PR team, and a high-paying job that they would have had to work toward for years otherwise. I have a lot of sympathy for drug addicts, having lost my little sister to addiction when she was a teen, but giving the man a job and a place to stay until he could get one on his own would have worked just fine.

It perhaps would have made for an even better story, because then we’d be able to see him earn the rest on his own and be proud of him turning his life around because of the opportunity.

/token glass half empty

RachDubya on January 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Good luck to Ted. He really does sound great.

mchristian on January 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM

So good to hear he cleaned himself up and will make a life for himself now. Awesome! I bet we’ll be hearing his voice doing movie trailers in no time at all.

Geronimo on January 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM

God bless this guy. I hope everything works out for him.

jdawg on January 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM

He gives credit to God and his mother.

What a stand up guy.
Hope he gets more exposure than the Paris Hilton’s and Rosie O’donell’s of the world.

Baxter Greene on January 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM

If there’s justice in the world in two years we’ll see Obama out on the road holding up a cracked TelePrompter.

JammieWearingFool on January 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM

What a great story! I hope and pray he is hugely successful and stays on the straight and narrow. How about that he has done this on the un-government regulated internet and without government assistance of any kind. He is obviously not a democrat.

sgtstogie on January 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Great story.

kahall on January 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

nice….

thanks Allah

cmsinaz on January 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

He has one nice voice. I hope this and other oppurtunites pan out for him.

upinak on January 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM

He cleans up pretty well, too. He’s undercutting his talent if he doesn’t think he couldn’t be on video as well.

ynot4tony2 on January 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM

RachDubya on January 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM

worth saying.

mankai on January 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM

At some point you have too much great voice and there should be a tax on practicing.

Joking aside, I wish Williams the best for the future.

Dusty on January 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Somebody call Dr. Drew and tell him to keep an eye on this guy. That first big paycheck in his hands worries me.

playblu on January 5, 2011 at 2:57 PM

God bless him – I wish him all the success he can achieve.

jake-the-goose on January 5, 2011 at 2:57 PM

In her first act as Former House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi just announced a probe into Ted’s finances.

“He’s been out there taking in all this untaxed money from strangers. Why hasn’t he contributed his fair share?”

JammieWearingFool on January 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM

and a bent set of golf clubs….

ted c on January 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Poor TOTUS.

upinak on January 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Great story and a wonderful voice. Beat of luck to him in the future, you don’t appreciate what you have until you lose it.

1sttofight on January 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Tony Dungy – separated at birth?

mankai on January 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Reminds me of another voice: watch 1st 20 seconds.

Of course you might want to watch the whole thing. :)

Shy Guy on January 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM

When I orginally saw this story, I thought that this man will be a source of inspiration for anyone who is going through tough times. Now, I am convinced more than ever that he will be the “voice” that President Obama should have been to the youths who need reminding that anything is possible in our country.

God bless him and his family.

itzWicks on January 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM

God blessed him! Anyone who isn’t happy for him deserves to sit alone in a windowless room with Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Alan Grayson until Nacy’s botox wears off.

pugwriter on January 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM

It’s really weird how he goes from “announcer voice” to “panhandler” with a grateful “thanks, man” for the spare change. Like switching from head of state to janitor in an eyeblink.

Paul-Cincy on January 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I’ve been told I have a good voice for phone se….err nevermind. Probably shouldn’t post anything on you tube. LOL

Anyway….I echo the sentiments here. God bless him, and I wish nothing but good things, prosperity, and love. I hope he takes advantage of all the opportunities coming his way.

capejasmine on January 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I like Ted! He’d make a great replacement for Katie Couric. Better voice and smarter too.

petefrt on January 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Even more brilliant PR would have been to keep the hair. He is considerably more charismatic with it.

Good luck to him; it will be quite a challenge to adjust to the private woes of sudden fame.

RushBaby on January 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I hear there is a vacancy at the White House…

Seven Percent Solution on January 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Calling Glenn Beck!

If ever there was a match made in Heaven…

Bruno Strozek on January 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM

What can you say besides WOW and God bless him.

fourdeucer on January 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM

OK, I’m now crying at work. God bless this man.

mikeyboss on January 5, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Look at his cleaned up picture, he is Barry 5 years from now.

bayview on January 5, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Paul-Cincy on January 5, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. His voice in the CBS segment is pleasant enough, but he sure can turn on the Performance Voice at will. It’s truly a gift and he has cultivated it well.

RushBaby on January 5, 2011 at 3:11 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM

and a bent set of golf clubs….

ted c on January 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM

With only enough change to buy a Slurpee?

30 pcs of silver on January 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM

God does truly work in mysterious ways. Reminds me of one of my favorite Gospel readings; “The Parable of the Lost Son.” One of the best known parables of Our Savior Jesus Christ. God be with you every day Mr. Williams.

USMCDevilDog on January 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM

What a great story! God is good.

Cindy Munford on January 5, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Video: The man with the golden voice

Magnificent. May he finally find his calling in life.

He!! yes this guy has talent and deserves as many chances as Darryl Strawberry.

Baxter Greene on January 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Even Stawberry failed to reach the low bar set by Steve Howe.

rukiddingme on January 5, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Luke 15:24

24: For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

USMCDevilDog on January 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM

You joke, but I would bet dollars to donuts we’ll see a spin-off of “America’s Got Talent”: the homeless edition.

Jim-Rose on January 5, 2011 at 3:16 PM

JammieWearingFool on January 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Obama:The Jerk

Well I’m gonna to go then! And I don’t need any of this. I don’t need this stuff, and I don’t need *you*. I don’t need anything. Except this.
[picks up teleprompter]
And that’s the only thing I need is *this*. I don’t need this or this. Just this teleprompter… And this paddle game. – The teleprompter and the paddle game and that’s all I need… And this remote control. – The teleprompter, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that’s all I need… And these matches. – The teleprompter, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball… And this lamp. – The teleprompter, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that’s all *I* need. And that’s *all* I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one… I need this. – The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I’m some kind of a jerk or something! – And this. That’s all I need.
[walking outside]

The teleprompter, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair.

[outside now] And I don’t need one other thing, except my water dog.

[water dog growls at him]

I don’t need my dog.

portlandon on January 5, 2011 at 3:16 PM

GId Bless you man. Wishing you all the luck in the world.

Saltysam on January 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM

That’s the best story I’ve read this year, thanks for posting, I hadn’t heard anything about him. Now where’s the Kleenex?

scalleywag on January 5, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Good stuff!

ButterflyDragon on January 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM

He!! yes this guy has talent and deserves as many chances as Darryl Strawberry.

Baxter Greene on January 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Or Michael Vick. Maybe 0bama will call Ted and wish him well.

UltimateBob on January 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM

He’s right. God is good.

parteagirl on January 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM

What a great feel-good story. What an incredible voice, and I wish the best for him.

silvernana on January 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

OT Mass LT saves family from burning van. Thumbs up to him.

upinak on January 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM

brewcrew67 on January 5, 2011 at 2:48 PM

And fewer people with the attitude that they are entitled to other people’s tax dollars.

UltimateBob on January 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Living proof of one of the greatest quotes from an American President:

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge
30th president of US (1872 – 1933)

TheBigOldDog on January 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM

He got clean and then we went out LOOKING FOR WORK. He was looking for work, not begging. He turned to God and look at him now.

He is the antithesis of the Obama, progressive, liberal agenda.

And when he starts making real money, the TAX MAN will take as much as they can………………

Opposite Day on January 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I can see why NFL films would want him. There’s been a void in their videos since John Facenda (sometimes called the voice of God) died.

Bevan on January 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Great story, and a great voice. I wish him well…

stacman on January 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM

We would he need dental work done for voice over jobs?

blink on January 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM

No. His teeth look painful. They are worn down and ragged. I would think they wouldn’t smell good either. Now that he has a job, he can get his dental work going.

Good for him.

portlandon on January 5, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Check him out now, after a shave and a haircut.

UltimateBob on January 5, 2011 at 3:35 PM

If the Cavs hire him, will Obama call the Cavs owner and thank him for giving this guy a second chance?

AuH20 on January 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Good news is so rare. Hope this guy rockets to fame and fortune and keeps it all in perspective. Great story in the midst of all this madness.

ultracon on January 5, 2011 at 3:43 PM

LincolntheHun on January 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I thought that was Ace…

Asher on January 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM

God bless him!!! That man needs a job in voice commercials. I’d buy whatever he was selling…

StarLady on January 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I saw this video on the day it was posted a couple days back and I prayed for that man. I’m so happy to see that he has exploded onto the consciousness of American’s and that people are reaching out to help him help himself. Now I pray that he isn’t overwhelmed beyond his capacity to absorb and handle it all then falls back into abusing alcohol and drugs. The first thing he really needs to do is secure some psychological assistance for a time so he can cope with his newly found success.

FlatFoot on January 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Only in America can someone have the potential for so much social mobility. Notice how he doesn’t blame anyone else for his hard times, and no-one is “holding him back” for being black, or for having bad teeth, or for having screwed up in his life before. He went after the American dream, and it looks like he’ll achieve it, even from a point so low. I hope he continues to stay sober and enjoys his success in life for many years to come.

aero on January 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I hope he succeeds.

Y-not on January 5, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Just imagine hooking that voice up with Obama’s teleprompter, the sky’s the limit. :)

Good luck to Ted.

poxoma on January 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Look at his cleaned up picture, he is Barry 5 years from now.

bayview on January 5, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I noticed that, too. In fact, his “before” picture looks like Obama in 10 years.

cheeflo on January 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM

WOW!!! It is a great reminder to me that redemption comes to all those that believe in the Lord!

God Bless him, and I wish him the best!

The Dead Terrorist on January 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Very cool. I hope this time has given him the kind of perspective that helps him stay on top this time.

Esthier on January 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM

That is an amazing voice.

I kinda liked his hair, it gave him a bit of character. Though he does look like and older Obama without it.

Vic on January 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I love a good underdog story. I hope it pan’s out… pun/

whiskeytango on January 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Wonderful! What a great story! I hope he finds work somewhere!

JellyToast on January 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM

What if he got a bunch of dental work done and suddenly sounded like Donald Duck? Better take this one step at a time…..

joedoe on January 5, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Geez, who brought Debbbie Downer?

You-Eh-Vee on January 5, 2011 at 4:55 PM

God bless the person who saw to what ever was involved in getting Mr. Williams to New York to see his 92 year old mother. That needed doing. Somebody did it.

Yoop on January 5, 2011 at 5:12 PM