Gibbs: Obama only voted against raising the debt ceiling in 2006 because he knew his vote wouldn’t matter

posted at 5:54 pm on January 5, 2011 by Allahpundit

The funniest line? Gibbsy insisting that The One voted no at the time to send the message that we need to “get serious about fiscal discipline.” Barack Obama and fiscal discipline: Perfect together. Why, he’s like the very first tea partier, isn’t he?

Give Gibbs credit for honesty on this one, though. The One took plenty of votes during his brief layover in the Senate that were aimed squarely at polishing his record for a presidential run down the road. The one on the debt ceiling was aimed at centrists; the votes against Roberts and Alito were aimed at his base. And sometimes, when he couldn’t decide whom to pander to, he just voted present as he’s wont to do.

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure,” [Obama] said on March 16, 2006. “Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership . Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

The debt limit was raised by a vote of 52-48.

Asked about that quote – and vote — today, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said that it was important that “based on the outcome of that vote…the full faith and credit was not in doubt.”

Then-Sen. Obama used the vote “to make a point about needing to get serious about fiscal discipline….His vote was not necessarily needed on that.”

I take it this means that when the House narrowly votes to raise the debt ceiling in a few weeks’ time, the media will let Republicans who vote no off the hook on grounds that their votes weren’t needed either. If all Democrats vote yes, Boehner needs only 25 Republicans to vote with them to form a majority. He himself has hinted at making “adult” decisions about the debt ceiling in recent interviews, which I take as a sign that the GOP leadership will grudgingly go along with raising it. And if they’re on board, surely enough backbenchers will fall in line to get to 25. That won’t stop the great media freakout over meaningless tea party opposition when the floor vote comes, though, so it’ll be fun to revisit this exchange with Gibbs when it happens.

Speaking of Gibbs, he made it official today: His days as press secretary are numbered. When asked by the Times why he’s leaving, Obama responded that Gibbsy — who earns $172,500 a year — has been making do with “relatively modest pay” compared to what he could be earning as a private consultant. The horrifying reality: He’s right.

Comments

I won’t miss him.

Ward Cleaver on January 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM

:D Thanks for the laugh.

Sir Loin on January 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM

He’s right.

Yet, only Soros would hire him.

upinak on January 5, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Tubby will be missed…………

…..oh wait, I forgot they’ll get another liar to take his place.

PappyD61 on January 5, 2011 at 5:58 PM

So money IS important to liberals??? I’m shocked. I just assumed that since they want all of us dirt poor and living in caves, they wanted that for themselves as well.

capejasmine on January 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I won’t miss either one of them! Two juvenile delinquents.

tomshup on January 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM

So Obama voted “Present” once again.

surprise.surprise.surprise.

portlandon on January 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Wow, the dumb sh** just keeps coming out of these peoples’ mouths.
I wish Gibbs well in his new found high paying job, wherever it is, I wish he’d decided to go for the $$$ long ago.

ORconservative on January 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Having to watch Bill Burton will make my eyes and ears bleed.

I’ll actually miss Gibbsy.

portlandon on January 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

his brief layover in the Senate

That was wonderful. :)

ThePrez on January 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Barry O: A profile in craven gutlessness.

Cicero43 on January 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM

You nailed it. That’s exactly what he did–calculate each vote as to how it would help him.

INC on January 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM

The Malignant Mouthpiece moves on.

Joe Mama on January 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM

has been making do with “relatively modest pay”

I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money…

Dee2008 on January 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Present, except for the debt ceiling vote that didn’t matter. Barry is a cavernous vessel.

anXdem on January 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM

We know who made bo a marxist but who and where did they get gibbs, a kid from Alabama. The entire crew is treasonous to the Constitution.

tim c on January 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Obama just proves that there is no issue he cannot straddle.

So much for “leadership”!

GarandFan on January 5, 2011 at 6:04 PM

because Obama knew his vote didn’t matter!!!
“present”

maverick muse on January 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM

This administration is an embarrassment.

portlandon on January 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Just another Aubie cheater.

Knott Buyinit on January 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Every Republican should recite this on the floor when it comes time to vote.. and quote Obama

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure,” “Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership . Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

Republican Yogi on January 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM

see ya, lumpy.

DrW on January 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM

So Senator Obama was grandstanding?

We all remember this matter being brought up during the campaign, right? The press challenging him on it?

Yeah, me neither.

He voted against Alito and Roberts, to cut off funding in Iraq in the middle of the surge and this. Just unbelievably irresponsible pandering.

But he paid for it, right?

SteveMG on January 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Having to watch Bill Burton will make my eyes and ears bleed.

I’ll actually miss Gibbsy.

portlandon on January 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

As much as Fibs is a weasely little twerp, Burton is a colossally condescending d0uchebag.

Dopenstrange on January 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Robert Gibbs – An giant among giants, of the Poly Sci professions.

MNHawk on January 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM

So now what? He simply goes out on the talk-show circuit, hits the Sunday TV shows, espouses the prophecy of Obama and becomes a shill for socialism. Did I say ‘becomes’? Silly me. Worthless, stumbling, bumbling “Beltway Bob”.

GoldenEagle4444 on January 5, 2011 at 6:15 PM

It’s scary to think Mr. Gibbs is going to be paid more. For anything.

Cindy Munford on January 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Seriously, would you hire Gibbs at that salary? Why?

He was overpaid in the first place. But certainly not overqualified. He could lie with a straight face just like his boss, and make it look natural.

I heard Mohammed Al Saeed Al-Sahaf (aka Baghdad Bob) is still looking for work. Somebody should tweet him and let him know of the new opening at the WH. He’d fit right in.

coldwarrior on January 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM

In other words Obama is a dishonest pathetic wussy. So what else is new.

FloatingRock on January 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I’m surprised he was even around to cast his vote. After all, he quit his “job” as U.S. Senator almost as soon as he was sworn in to con the high school dropouts of America to elect him President. A record-high 70% of them fell for his “message”.

F-

Del Dolemonte on January 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Does he think that Americans believe that cover Obama’s rear story?Does he think people are that stupid or is it some kind of joke?We need a lie tracker website for these guys.

docflash on January 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I love how the CNN video ” Gibbs’ best moments ” doesn’t include the obvious one- his last day there.

jjshaka on January 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM

For those of you who are going to miss Gibbsy…

… Don’t worry.

I have a feeling he will be popping up everywhere…

Seven Percent Solution on January 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Obama thought he was voting present.

Grunt on January 5, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Gibbs will do very well in private business. There are dozens of companies out there that are thinking, hey, -if we hire this doofus maybe we will be more likely to get that Obamacare waiver. Banks, -if we hire him maybe we will pass that stress test. Greedy unions, -if we throw Gibbsy a bone the Labor Relations Board will be more likely to rule in our favor. Gibbsy will be in great demand. Corruption opens up opportunities.

slickwillie2001 on January 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Looks like Obama was playing the old political game that you can never get hurt voting for a bill that fails or against a bill that passes. As for Gibbs, I’ll miss him. He perfectly represents the arrogance and dishonesty of Obama. I would hate to see him replaced by somebody smooth and competent.

Tantor on January 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM

See ya Baghdad Bob Gates. I certainly will not miss you nor lose any sleep.

hawkman on January 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM

what stones…. vote wouldn’t matter.

maybe that’s what we should tell his 98% demographic that might consider voting for him next go-round….”you’re vote ain’t gonna matter, so just stay home.”

lessons.

ted c on January 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Just when I think I am getting used to Obama’s incompetence, something else happens that really just takes my breath away. Unbelievable.

quiz1 on January 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Gibbsy can make much more than that in the private sector, is that really what they are saying…

Me, I thing Gibbsy boy could become a very high paid call girl for all of those really smart folks working over at MSNBC. Pretty sure Chrissy and client number 9 would pay him well with their share of the WH funny money.

Keemo on January 5, 2011 at 6:38 PM

If only all the public union members were in the same position—-leave a government job and get a big pay raise in the private sector.

Rick9911 on January 5, 2011 at 6:42 PM

capejasmine on January 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM

You’d “think at a certain point you’ve made enough money”…

the_nile on January 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM

This schoolteacher could make do very nicely on $172k per year, even in CA.

Bob's Kid on January 5, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Obama- bold, courageous, principled and a man of integrity…or not.

Mason on January 5, 2011 at 6:56 PM

90% of what Gibbs says is a lie. Want proof? Watch his eyes and mannerisms. He always has that lying smile on his face. He is someone that sold his soul to the devil.

I’ll miss him actually, he helps our cause.

BierManVA on January 5, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I would LOVE to see a Republican stand on the floor and read verbatim Obama’s 2006 anti-debt ceiling raising speech.

MayBee on January 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Spokesman for the Present of the United States.

Akzed on January 5, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Fibbs. Gibberish. Whatever one wants to call him is fine by me. He needs prayers because he is one soulless individual.

Branch Rickey on January 5, 2011 at 7:15 PM

The pubs need to keep in mind the defition of ”

com·pro·mise (kmpr-mz)

n.1. A settlement of differences in which only the GOP side makes concessions.

2, A concession to something detrimental or pejorative: a compromise of morality.

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Gibbs is Simple Jack, Full Retard – Just in this case it’s not an act.

Tim Burton on January 5, 2011 at 7:19 PM

So Obama’s votes on the fiscal policies of the United States are all about Obama? What a narcissist! Obama would just as soon see his mother burned at the stake if that was the only way he had of lighting his cigarette.

jaime on January 5, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Yeah Gibberish, Dear Reader goes together with fiscal discipline just like chunky peanut butter and shit; no matter how little shit you use, the mix still tastes like shit.

ByeBye GrandSpinMaster B.

GnuBreed on January 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM

man are we going to miss gibbsy propping up the one…..

nahhhhhh

cmsinaz on January 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Ah well. Peter Griffin, er, Gibbs… can go back to his day job of drinking with Quagmire and Cleveland.

AttilaTheHun on January 5, 2011 at 8:23 PM

It’s entertaining to watch them swivel to concern about spending and the economy, as the power shifts. I think Republicans may be starting to get it, but Dems never will. They’re fixated on social “justice.” Where in nature have they observed social justice? Yet they keep trying to impose it by fiat.

flataffect on January 5, 2011 at 9:42 PM

OT: Tell me I’m wrong, but in this large photo of Teh Won returning from vacation, isn’t his suit jacket buttoned wrong? (Scroll down past the first picture of the toadies with the surfboards) “Look Mommy, I dressed myself…”

bofh on January 5, 2011 at 9:46 PM

You really meant to say, O just voted present again. How thoughty. I’m really going to miss this guy.

Kissmygrits on January 5, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Is Scott McClellan still available?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM

It’s nice to see the people of Illinois wasted there vote sending someone to the Senate who didn’t take it seriously. Of course his vote proves he was all rhetoric and no substance then and he still is. If we only had a free press in this country, they most assuredly would have asked him questions about votes he’d taken in the past.

bflat879 on January 5, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Ya know….I just realized that I cannit envision a single male in this Administration being with a woman……….sexually that is.

Nor can I envision a single female in this Administration being with a man sexually.

That means that every person in this Administration is either asexual or homosexual.

There is something very alien an un-American about that, and the policies emanating from this Administration bear that out.

David2.0 on January 5, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Well, Reggie Love is definitely laying pipe in the White House ladies room, but he’s getting 100K plus to carry Obambi’s water bottle and People magazines to the gym and back. Not a real member of the Administration.

David2.0 on January 5, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I’ll actually miss Gibbsy.

portlandon on January 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM

You’re sick. Gibbs is the biggest douchebag Press Secretary in memory, and that includes the appalling Scott McClellan.

Jaibones on January 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM

So that Makes it……(wait for it):

BUSH’S FAULT!!

Tim_CA on January 6, 2011 at 2:18 AM

I voted against the bill before I voted for it!

rjoco1 on January 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I voted for the bill before I voted against it!

rjoco1 on January 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM