Red State editor: Mike Pence for president

posted at 7:58 pm on January 3, 2011 by Allahpundit

Yes, it’s an endorsement of him, of a sort, but it’s also a vote of no confidence in Palin’s chances.

But right now I am not excited by or inspired by any of them save Sarah Palin and, as much as I love Sarah Palin, I am adamantly convinced that she cannot win given the ridiculous smears and hate thrown her way by Democrats and, frankly, by a lot of Republicans. She has been made radioactive.

I would, however, still gladly vote for her and support her. I’d rather go down with her than up with some of the others. Let’s be honest here — Lyndon Johnson won in 1964 largely because of Barry Goldwater as the GOP nominee. The alternative would have been Nelson Rockefeller…

No member of the House of Representatives has made it to the White House since the late 1800’s. The odds are surely against Congressmen. But I think Mike Pence could do it.

He bridges the gap between the establishment and the grassroots. He is in the comfort zone of both. He has a private sector background that shines in comparison to anything Barack Obama ever did before elected politics.* He has the free market think tank background to reassure fiscal conservatives. He has the social conservative bona fides to reassure the social conservatives who, this year, feel marginalized.

I’ve made that last point about Pence bridging the establishment/grassroots gap too. If you’re looking for a candidate whom both the base and the Beltway can live with, your options are vanishingly small. In fact, that’s Thune’s main drawing point, I think — he’s such a thoroughgoing cipher that he’s unlikely to draw strong reactions, whether positive or negative, from anyone, which ironically makes him a potent threat to Obama in the general if the economy continues to struggle. Pence is well regarded by the base, both fiscally and socially, and well acquainted with Republican powerbrokers after 10 years, so he offers a comfort level for all concerned that virtually no one else can match. I’d be surprised if powerful Republicans aren’t leaning heavily on him to run right now, for precisely that reason.

I assume that’s also why Erick Erickson took to writing this today, to apply some pressure on Pence from the grassroots end of the spectrum. The Conservatives 4 Palin people are dismissing his post on grounds that Pence is likely to run for governor, not for president — but that’s precisely what Erickson’s worried about, I suspect. He’s trying to kickstart some buzz among the base for Pence before he commits to running in Indiana; if that happens, and if Erickson’s right that Palin is “radioactive,” then who’s left for a rank-and-file conservative to support in the primaries? Gingrich? Thune? I can see it happening, I guess, but I can’t see it happening enthusiastically. If you want Pence, you’d better make some noise. Soon.

Exit question: Why not a “Draft Jim DeMint” movement? Because he’s radioactive to the establishment, right?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

ahem. Working for a conservative alliance? Catch your breath.

maverick muse on January 4, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Okay, but stop creating strawmen.

steebo77 on January 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Okay, but stop creating strawmen.

steebo77 on January 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Ditto to you dude. Not every negative thing said about Palins political chances are personal. Id vote for Palin if she wins the primary, but I will not pretend that I want that to happen because I dont think she can beat obama. I think their are candidates with a better chance, as a matter of fact I think her chances are about the same as Ron Pauls. A fired up online constituency is not a majority.

snoopicus on January 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM

And, for the record, I’ve never seen a “Nista” on HA use the expression “libtard” (which most would probably find offensive)

You just haven’t been around HA long enough

snoopicus on January 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

One thing that has bothered me from the time she made her speech at the GOP convention was when she said that if she and McCain were elected, families of “special needs” children would have an advocate in the White House. It’s hard to see how people who have a constructionist view would want or need an advocate in the federal government.

DrMagnolias on January 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Her exact words:

And in April, my husband, Todd, and I welcomed our littlest one into the world, a perfectly beautiful baby boy named Trig. From the inside, no family ever seems typical. That’s how it is with us. Our family has the same ups and downs as any other — the same challenges and the same joys. Sometimes even the greatest joys bring challenge. And children with special needs inspire a special love.

To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters. I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House.

I always interpreted these words to mean that in Sarah’s mind, making America a “more welcoming place” for special-needs children involved using the platform of the Vice Presidency for occasional publicity and speechifying, not for pursuing gratuitous legislation or imposing federal mandates on states, or anything necessarily governmental in function.

steebo77 on January 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

snoopicus on January 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I never said anything of the sort. So again, you are creating a strawman.

steebo77 on January 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM

steebo77 on January 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Thats just your assumption and it is no more or less valid and verifiable than the other. Perhaps she just meant some speeches on the issue, maybe she did want more federal funds/programs.

snoopicus on January 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM

snoopicus on January 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Agreed.

steebo77 on January 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM

you’re preaching to the choir here

maverick muse on January 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM

No it’s cool… I hate the victim game that some politicians play so I’m leery of it to the extreme.

I think you just like her no matter what…regardless of what she does.

snoopicus on January 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Sorry…but FAIL.

I don’t worship political figures. I like her but if she takes a position I don’t agree with or goes a direction I don’t like, I can move on.

powerpro on January 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM

While I have no problem w/ Erickson endorsing Pence (everyone is allowed his/her favorite candidate), I cringe at his reasoning: Palin is radioactive thanks to the left wing media so let’s abandon her and choose someone “safe”.

Basically what he is saying is the media smear machine is too powerful to overcome so we need to play by their rules and choose a candidate they won’t go after w/ such vengence. This kind of cowardly thinking is the reason the GOP has failed miserably in the media wars. We always give up the fight and leave our best warriors on the battlefield for the press to pick apart and then we cower in the corner offering up a more “acceptable” representative for them to denegrate. Enough!

If Palin is the better candidate based on her governing philosophy and her values, then fight WITH her instead of against her. To quote the Pres “Get in their faces” and convince those who think she can’t win of why she HAS to win. Win the argument by citing facts and debunking the lies.

Redneck Woman on January 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Okay, but stop creating strawmen.

steebo77 on January 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

take your own advice if you expect others to listen

maverick muse on January 4, 2011 at 11:20 AM

take your own advice if you expect others to listen

maverick muse on January 4, 2011 at 11:20 AM

What strawman or red herring did I use? Please, tell me.

steebo77 on January 4, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I envy you your choice of Pence. CA Jerry Brown is using environmental regulations to enrich himself.

JERRY BROWN: OIL BARRON AND ECO-TYRANT!

Mutnodjmet on January 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM

JERRY BROWN: OIL BARRON AND ECO-TYRANT!

Mutnodjmet on January 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM

But….he’s experienced! He’s served as governor … how many terms?

powerpro on January 4, 2011 at 12:10 PM

….If we allow the media their “victory” over the destruction of Sarah Palin, we will allow it again and again whenever they zero in on a conservative candidate who threatens their lefty world view. Quit being such weenies and quit bowing to those in the establishment who think they know best and to those in the left-wing media who know absolutely nothing about us or our candidates.

Redneck Woman on January 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I agree 100%

Full speed ahead, the media be damned.

ornery_independent on January 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM

The Palinbots are so cringe worthy when they make the Reagan comparison. It really so over the top as to smack of desperation in an attempt to give Palin any kind of gravitas.

It’s like trying to compare George Patton to Pee Wee Herman.

rickyricardo on January 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I’m not a huge Reagan fan. I sure never saw him as being overly bright. But, with age, I do see his influence.

Ditto for her.

I think they really are quite similar. She’s a whole lot more interesting, in my opinion. Maybe back then, he was unique, too, being an actor, etc. That was sort of different.

She’s really different.

AnninCA on January 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM

One thing I’ve paid attention to are Sarah’s messages. That’s what she can control. She can’t control the blogs or the punditry talk.

I agree with her messages. I tend to take the pundits with a grain of salt. They have no real skin in the game. Nobody seems to remember that they wrote some dumbass column and were way off base.

You have to do a “tingle” moment to get remembered, frankly.

I don’t pay too much attention to her competitors. They are, by definition, her competitors.

I don’t pay too much attention to the Dems. Her message is clearly against their agenda.

I do pay attention to her actual messages. Those, I find, I like a lot.

AnninCA on January 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Palin will either prove her own electability or she won’t. Claiming she’s “radioactive” two years out, before any debates or campaigning, is silly and I honestly don’t believe Erick really thinks that. The comment community at RedState is very hostile to Palin so he can’t write love letters and be taken seriously.

Pence is not the perfect candidate. He has no executive experience. That said, there is no perfect candidate for 2012 and if the economy improves there would be a low chance of unseating Obama even with that perfect candidate.

If you like Herman Cain, now is the time to push Cain. If you like Pence, now is the time to push Pence. And if you like Palin, now is the time to push Palin. Electability comes later, such as after the first round of primary elections.

alwaysfiredup on January 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Pence: another lawyer at the helm of the executive branch, sure, just what we need..

NORUK on January 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM

So sorry I missed this party because I love Mike Pence. He’s definitely my pick.

anXdem on January 4, 2011 at 9:30 PM