Video: Kirsten Powers says Bush 2008 veto of bill with end-of-life provision “not true”

posted at 3:00 pm on January 1, 2011 by SueZeeQ

Good stuff. When you tell a liberal the truth they recoil in disbelief.  Seriously.

Just watch Kirsten Powers and her disbelief  in this interview when the bomb is dropped about 6:00 in.  She’s so flustered when she finds out the truth that President Bush vetoed the 2008 bill with the end-of-life provision in it and it was the Democrat Congress that overrode the veto and forced it into law.

Here’s the transcript:

SCHLAPP: And government itself, let me tell you, the language here right, the language is different. They made the language worse, instead of doing this once every five years, now the Obama administration is allowing this to happen every year and actually reimbursing doctors to do it every year. So, that’s quite a slight of hand. And doesn’t government — aren’t they a little conflicted here? They have to find this huge health care savings for seniors at the same time they’ve become the counselors to seniors in their end of care decisions?

POWERS: Where was your outrage in 2008 when the Bush administration said that Medicare would reimburse end of life counseling?

SCHLAPP: It was a veto that was overridden by the Democrats. So, I give President Bush credit for vetoing that bill.

POWERS: No, it was a 2008 law. I mean, I don’t know what are talking about.

SCHLAPP: Yes, that became law over the president’s veto.

POWERS: No, that’s not true.

Yes it is true, Kirsten.  And you look foolish and lose more of your credibility for believing the false narrative and then trying to advance it on national TV.

Could you imagine if Sarah Palin made that mistake?

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

It’s the blonde coming through.

Sad.

hillbillyjim on January 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

She has issued a mea culpa on Twitter.

Patterico on January 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Stupid cow. Pretty cow, but stupid nonetheless.

Extrafishy on January 1, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Opps. That’s funny.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I should have gone into journalism so that I could change the world.

Inanemergencydial on January 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM

She got schooled. I also just love her explanation of the Dems “playing it down” because of the death panels.

StephC on January 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM

More heartache for Allah! KP has exposed herself as the biggest partisan hack who ever had some level of credibility on HA.

csdeven on January 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Hello SusanAnne. please note that it wasn’t, as you say,

it was the Democrat Congress that overrode the veto and forced it into law.

a Democrat Congress that overrode the veto. It was the United States Congress that did that. The vote for the override (as was the vote to pass the bill) was not at all a partisan vote. The bill was overwhelmingly supported by the Republicans as well as the Democrats.

In the House, the vote to override was 383 – 41

So please note that you’re distorting the truth of the matter when you imply that it was just Democrats that backed the law
with end-of-life provision

It should be pretty clear that there was no rejection by either party because of your purported
with end-of-life provision

audiculous on January 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM

and, of course, the Bush veto also had nary a thing to do
with end-of-life provision

he explained why he vetoed the bill in this statement

audiculous on January 1, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Tucker just glanced over it too! He let kirsten go on and on and on and Shlapp hardly had a chance to say anything. Let’s put her on again with the proof in writing and see if she can bluff her way out of it.

Bambi on January 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Kirsten is out of her league. She doesn’t belong on television, much less cable television’s most watched network – Fox News.

She belongs at the reception desk of a tanning booth. No disrespect intended to tanning booth receptionists.

IronDioPriest on January 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I never understood AP’s infatuation with KP.

Back in my AOL consulting days I used to admire KP for her looks and not her brains, when I saw her on campus.

After all KP’s mind certainly helped AOL.

F15Mech on January 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I see where John Huntsman is making noises about running in 2012. Finally a RINO who is far enough left to appease Allah.

bw222 on January 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM

audiculous

I think you are missing the whole point. KP and almost all the lefty blogsphere has been gloating over how the Obaman White House pointed out the the end of life planning provision was actually orginally approved by Bush. Pointing out he vetoed the bill just corrects the record. If the WH had said those provisions were in a bill favored by a lot of Republicans, then your first post would make sense. Instead it answers an argument that wasn’t made. Your second post is equally meaningless. The link you provide doesn’t say Bush supported the provision. In his veto statement, Bush lists the major reasons he vetoed the bill. It doesn’t say “and I agree with everything else in the bill.” You can’t take an absence of a statement by Bush as evidence he supported this provision.

Cecil on January 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM

lose more of your credibility

How does one lose more of what one does not have?

rukiddingme on January 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM

KP’s complexion isn’t great. On days when she doesn’t spend enough time getting made-up it shows.

bw222 on January 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I’ve always appreciated the fact that she tried so hard, but her repeated mistakes show that she’s not yet ready for prime time.

JohnJ on January 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

It’s funny to see a liberal get mugged by reality.

Mord on January 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM

She can’t lose credibility; she doesn’t have any.

I remember the first time I saw her on Fox. Had no idea who she was, and the way she was babbling on about the “brilliance” of the Obama campaign, I assumed she was some paid hack on Barry’s campaign staff. When Fox finally flashed up the “political analyst” tag, I laughed out loud.

The woman’s a joke.

AZCoyote on January 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Yes it is true, Kirsten. And you look foolish and lose more of your credibility for believing the false narrative and then trying to advance it on national TV.

Nice take down!

Could you imagine if Sarah Palin made that mistake?

Yeah… Krauthammer would be all over her with AP cheering him on.

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM

How about this tidbit from a freeper post?

Oh really? So, he (Obama) will work with anyone from any party, huh? How about Sam Palmisano, CEO of IBM? IBM offered Obama, for free, a program that would expose almost a trillion dollars in fraud and waste in Medicare and Medicaid. The cost to taxpayers – $0.00. The answer from Obama – “no thanks”!

As far as Dems and Dem-enablers like KP are concerned, they have absolutely no memory of which party (their own) passed unsavory legislation or budget-busting bills.

Take a Rolaid, Kirsten.

Well before there was any legislation in this regard, when I was admitted for surgery in past years, I was always asked if I had a Living Will or if I was interested in learning about it. Was this standard practice in hospitals anyway?

onlineanalyst on January 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM

It’s funny to see a liberal get mugged by reality.

Mord on January 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Yeah especially since they like mugging the taxpayer.

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM

What a hack. I love it how these liberals assume that what’s best for them is best for all of us. She kept saying “I would want this time of counseling.”

Well guess what KP, I MAY NOT!

jawkneemusic on January 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM

*type of counseling

jawkneemusic on January 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

bw222 on January 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM

And she needs to wash her hair and do something about those black roots.

Knucklehead on January 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I can’t understand fox keeping her around even if she is a blonde.

ohiobabe on January 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

It’s the blonde coming through.

Sad.

hillbillyjim on January 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

She must have bruises around her bellybutton. After all, blonde guys are dumb too.

CatchAll on January 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I can’t see where Kirsten came up through the ranks to be a proven analyst. Like many of Fox’s on-air personalities she was recruited for her looks first. Sorry but that IS part of the FoxNews formula (exception to the above mentioned rule Greta Van Susteran). I actually had to start boycotting her segments because she just went off the deep end on Megan’s show (proof of the above mentioned rule) which I think was posted here at HotAir. It was a wildly innappropriate defense of the indenfensible but I forgot exactly what it was if someone can remind me.

Conan on January 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Geez…tough room.

Asher on January 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

It is a slow news day, but there is no need to recycle a video from December 29.

slp on January 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I would give her a pass on this one.

scrubjay on January 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

As I mentioned in the above comment Kirsten has done offensive defenses of liberalism and the democrats not just errors in defense like this. This isn’t why I don’t care for her. It is more egregious things she has said.

Conan on January 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Anyone with a D beside their name should not get a pass for anything. I used to think they were stupid and uniformed. Now I know that they are just plain evil.

BetseyRoss on January 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM

As pointed out, KP was misled by the WSJ. She has also written positive things about Sarah Palin and decried the media bias Palin suffers from.

Let us therefore mock her complexion and hair.

Patterico on January 1, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Could you imagine if Sarah Palin made that mistake?

Yes, I could very easily imagine Sarah Palin making that or any other mistake :)

IU_Conservative on January 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Then you can go ahead and request it, and pay for it yourself.

Bob's Kid on January 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Let us therefore mock her complexion and hair.

Patterico on January 1, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Ok.

Liberalism sure has taken it’s toll on her. The years have not been kind.

mechkiller_k on January 1, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Could you imagine if Sarah Palin made that mistake?

That’s a point. Kirsten Powers, who’s also from Alaska, makes boo-boo, and we’re talking about it here. Sarah Palin makes a similar boo-boo, and it’ll get at lease 2 of Joe Scarborough’s 3 hours tomorrow.

Hell, Sarah Palin says something correct and half of the illiterate MSM go off on her, because they don’t have their facts straight.

SlaveDog on January 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Well, it’s hard to keep looking good when you’re evil (because of the D by your name).

Patterico on January 1, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Geez…tough room.

Asher on January 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

That isn’t saying much

The Notorious G.O.P on January 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Her main problem is her elbows, which are far too pointy.

Patterico on January 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM

She has acknowledged that she made a mistake and owned up to it. No need to keep beating her up. Her expression was kinda priceless though.

Southernblogger on January 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM

BetseyRoss on January 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Actually, they can be, (and often are,) all three; none are mutually exclusive.

massrighty on January 1, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Could you imagine if Sarah Palin made that mistake?

The irony is Kristen isn’t the only one trying to advance that lie. The Professor from Accidental, I mean Occidental College was trying to do the exact same thing when debating Betsy McCaughey. I mean, Dr. McCaughey only read the healthcare law, so what the hell does she know?

mizflame98 on January 1, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I still respect her more than other Dems+ more than several mouthpieces on our side. She tries to be fair.

Southernblogger on January 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM

haha Heartache for Allah.

illustro on January 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Her main problem is her elbows, which are far too pointy.

Patterico on January 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I always admired her elbows, and her entire arms, actually. But that’s just me.

SlaveDog on January 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM

IU_Conservative on January 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Find a similar mistake.
Hint: in your example, Governor Palin would need to repeat the error multiple times, even when directly challenged, until confronted with overwhelming proof of the error. Give it your best shot.

massrighty on January 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Fox Transcript:

So, that’s quite a slight sleight of hand…

Sorry:)

My fellow conservatives are irritating the heck out of me btw. Kirsten is not one of us, but come on! Oh so ironically, many of you unduly harsh critics are probably Palinistas Palinists who would be rioting if these sort of comments were made about her or her family.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Southernblogger on January 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Someone pointed out the whole MK interview debacle. My opinion of the moderate Democrat Kristen Powers is not so high, after that show. This incident only goes to reinforce that stance. I just don’t think she’s “all that” and probably pretty overrated.

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM

And she’s certainly partisan and a Democrat, but compared to most of the members of her party, pretty open-minded and sensible. much less likely to push someone into a gas oven.
Asher on January 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Not to be accused of violating godwin’s law. Just showing by example where damning with faint praise leads.

massrighty on January 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Just doesn’t get any better:

… SCHLAPP

… POWERS

… SCHLAPP

… POWERS

… SCHLAPP

… POWERS

BowHuntingTexas on January 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Actually she isn’t mistaken. The fact is, she is one of Dumbest bunny\ies in history. That’s why she doesn’t dye he hair, everyone would know she is a blond the moment she opens her mouth.

Kristen is the inspiration that spawned all those “dumb blonde” jokes. She IS a walking blond joke. She should be fired for the sole fact she is too stupid to do her job

Niteowl45 on January 1, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I would give her a pass on this one.

scrubjay on January 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

No, no you shouldn’t. She should get paid to read the same stuff that we read. She holds herself out as an expert, let her prove herself to be one. There are pundits aplenty that can cite chapter and verse on who voted on this or that, what bills were vetoed and why. This item on Bush’s agenda should not have been a secret to Powers.

Fail.

Not that it should be surprising to anyone.

Could you imagine if Sarah Palin made that mistake?

IU_Conservative on January 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Yeah. About that. Seems to me that she hasn’t yet made that mistake has she?

Keep wishing, though.

To date, the things that she says, however controversial, eventually hold up under scrutiny.

So now it falls to you to list those things that she has said that prove your thesis.

turfmann on January 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM

massrighty on January 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM

FAIL.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Isn’t this the same bimbo who thought it was just peachy that the black panthers were intimidating voters?

Capitalist Infidel on January 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM

No problem with somebody having that view about her or any pundit. It all boils down to perception. I like her even though I rarely agree with her. The folks whacking on her looks are either just being nasty or quite possibly into the whole brokeback mountain scene.

Southernblogger on January 1, 2011 at 4:03 PM

It’s the blonde coming through.

Sad.

hillbillyjim on January 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

No, I’m pretty sure the drapes don’t match the carpet.

She is just deluded.

esnap on January 1, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Southernblogger on January 1, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with the whole brokeback mountain scene.

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM

FAIL.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Not really: again, just showing, by example, how badly excusing someone as “not nearly as bad as others” often ends.

I could have said, she was (compared to other members of her party) much less likely to massacre people in the katyn forest, or much less likely to drain the swamps from which they draw their livelihood.

The same point would have been made, but the gas ovens reference is more universally understood.

massrighty on January 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I noticed a change in Kirsten after she got married. Correlation ain’t causation, but she’s become much more argumentative. I have no idea what hubby’s political views are, and it may not even matter, just discussing things can either help broaden your view OR help lock your own views in tighter.

Just sayin’

MaggiePoo on January 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Then you can go ahead and request it, and pay for it yourself.

Bob’s Kid on January 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Not quite sure I understand what you mean by this. Health care choices should be left between the Doctor and the Patient without the Government encouraging the Doctors to tell their patients to quietly go away and die so the government can save a few bucks. If I want this kind of counseling, that’s by business. Not the states and not KP’s. Whats best for her is not whats best for me and my family. We make those decisions, not KP or President Obama and his busy body bureaucrats.

Capitalist Infidel on January 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Indeed it is.

jawkneemusic on January 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM

This is not the first time Ms. Powers has embarrassed herself on the news. Remember the dressing-down Megyn Kelly gave her for failing to inform herself of the issues?

JohnJ on January 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Nope. Nothing wrong if that is how they want to roll.It doesn’t bother me.

Southernblogger on January 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM

JohnJ on January 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM

You would have thought she would have learned…

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Could you imagine if Sarah Palin made that mistake?

You can bet without any fear of losing that every single MSM news outlet out there, from CBS to ABC to NBC to MSNBC to CNN to PBS to AP to the New York Times, the Washington Post, The Boston Globe, to Time and Newsweek , all the way to Whoopie, Barbara, and Joy on The View, would be all over it like bloated flies on spoiled fruit!

But since it was Kristen Powers who made the mistake, the outrage most likely went as far as Fox News (and HotAir) and that was it!

pilamaye on January 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Bush is a Progressive………….he wanted to grow Federal Power/control and influence. His position on that overarching goal is no different than the DOTUS.

The real question is WWHD?
(What would Huntsman do)

If Huntsman runs how long……………..before Beck hails him as the next George Washington?

PappyD61 on January 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I have noticed Kirsten got much more argumentative after Obama came on the scene and was elected. I think Kirsten knows this is liberalism’s chance to shine. This was a no Republicans in the way period of time and like many of the Democrats they have become panicky and more argumentative because the arguments that liberlism doesn’t work have become harder to refute. She has increasingly used more and more desperate arguments as the S.S. Democrat has been sinking in her segments on Fox.

The marriage just came at the same time if you are talking timing.

Conan on January 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I can’t understand fox keeping her around even if she is a blonde.

ohiobabe on January 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

======
like AP, someone high up at Fox wants to get an easy lay and the best candidate for that has always been the blonde with boobs and dumb as a box of hair.

Niteowl45 on January 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Geez…tough room.

Asher on January 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I agree.

Calling her a stupid cow and ragging on her looks is just childish and makes the one posting the comment look stupid.

She obviously made a mistake. At least she’s big enough to own up to it. And most of the time she at least TRIES to be fair-minded to conservative positions, which is light years from most of her fellow liberal commentators.

MikeknaJ on January 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Leave her alone… their constitution says “citizens are guaranteed freedom of speech, of the press….”

It’s right there in Article 50…see 4 ya self

roflmao

donabernathy on January 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Niteowl45 on January 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM

So now we’re throwing out unsubstantiated charges of sexual harassment and manipulation and calling people whores? That’s just pathetic and something I’d expect to see from a Kos-poster, not here.

MikeknaJ on January 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM

It should be noted that within the liberal swamp of misinformation, Fox News Viewers are the Most informed.

It’s well worth watching this video.

Where Powers get her information, who knows. Better to pick lice off the scalp of stupidity.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 4:38 PM

So, she misspoke and she corrected herself. What’s the big deal?

And why does anybody need to be reimbursed for anything? Either the patient brings it up or the doctor when he thinks it is appropriate. They discuss the options and the patient either decides then or later or not at all. It’s just a few minutes out of a routine visit.

Blake on January 1, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Niteowl45 on January 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I’m usually a free speech kind of girl unless children are involve but I have to say this comment is more than a bit tacky. I am sure you must have far more insightful things to add to the conversation.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM

She has issued a mea culpa on Twitter.

Patterico on January 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Not sufficient; misspeak and call someone else a liar on national television… then say ‘whoops’ on twitter?

Not enough – get back on that television show, bring this topic up again, and *admit* you were wrong, that the other guy that you denigrated and effectively called a liar was correct, that it wasn’t Bush it was the Dem congress at the time, etc.

Midas on January 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Conan on January 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I think Ms. Powers was a proponent of Sec. Clinton during the primaries. I’m sure it hard to be the spokesperson for someone who treated someone she admired pretty badly.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Wow. Credibility shrinkage.

Owwie.

Key West Reader on January 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Midas on January 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Let’s give her chance, maybe she will clear it up next time she gets on air.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Niteowl45 on January 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Now, now … we all know AP is saving himself for the Industrial Goth, Cat Girl

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 4:52 PM

SCHLAPP: It was a veto that was overridden by the Democrats.

Partisans hacks, both of them. Bushes veto is not overridden without the help of convictionless RINOs.

The federal government should not be meddling in the healthcare marketplace, via Obama-care, Medi-care, Employer-care. Get government out of private markets except where it is needed to impose otherwise unrealized costs of business (pollution, neighborhood devaluations, other diseconomies).

exdeadhead on January 1, 2011 at 4:54 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Yikes!! We may have to rethink the site’s aversion to Ms. McCain. Can you get that girl to talk out loud or write a few paragraphs?

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Didn’t Sarah Palin make a typo today or something?

SurferDoc on January 1, 2011 at 4:57 PM

SurferDoc on January 1, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Check the networks.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 4:58 PM

MikeknaJ on January 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Lighten up Francis

The Notorious G.O.P on January 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Alert AP! His goddess is fallible!

But, but, what does charles k think of this? He’s the only one that matters.

Fuquay Steve on January 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Here’s to hoping MeggyMac finds her inner Goth … and stops talking.

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 5:00 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 5:00 PM

LOL!! Fingers crossed. Especially on the “stops talking” part.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM

LOL!! Fingers crossed. Especially on the “stops talking” part.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Surely if this happens 2011 would be a great year!

MeatHeadinCA on January 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM

This fits in with the series V, or as I call it
The Obama Diaries.

lilium on January 1, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I always pseudorespected Kirsten Powers. She’s poised, polished, well spoken, articulate, and usually has facts to back her arguments.

Huge loss of respect.

Key West Reader on January 1, 2011 at 5:08 PM

MikeknaJ on January 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM

———–
She has shown again and again she was not hired for her intelligence-she has none. There is a long history of incrediblky dumb but pretty women getting to where they are because someone higher up the food chain wants to get some and the dumb bimbo wants to get a job she knows she is not bright enough to get on her own.

Niteowl45 on January 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM

KP deserves a good spanking…

I volunteer…

Khun Joe on January 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I think there is some confusion about what the end of life counseling is. I know a lot of people on Medicare who have had this kind of counseling. After all, living wills and advanced directives are nothing new. A lot of people have talked to their doctors about this sort of thing. It is a question of how the counseling is done and the circumstances. But the idea that we should be talking to lawyers rather than doctors about end of life care seems wrong to me…we should probably be talking to both. After all, the time will come when the doctor needs to know what the patient wants.

The truth is as the population ages and medical advances are made, there really does need to be some realistic debate about this. If we don’t the cost will overwhelm the system. Twenty years ago, this was not such an issue, but times have changed.

I have told my husband that I don’t want to be kept in a vegetative state just because the medical community can find a way to do it.

Terrye on January 1, 2011 at 5:18 PM

massrighty on January 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM

FAIL again! To begin with, you clearly don’t understand what the phrase “damning with faint praise” really means. It does not lead to anything (like, say, “the nose under the camel’s tent”). It is an insult masquerading as a compliment. Asher did not damn her with faint praise! His intent was not to condemn her. He provided a balanced assessment of her qualities in response to unduly harsh remarks from other commenters.

Then, to really make a fool of yourself, you used completely over-the-top hyperbole, implying that Powers is so obviously the Devil personified, and Asher is such a complacent, appeasing tool that he (and others like him) are sort of Neville Chamberlains whose wussiness eventually leads to mass murder.

Get a grip!

Buy Danish on January 1, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I can’t stand this woman.

If I see her smiling, lying, socialist face on the tube, I change the channel.

She may have a nice smile, but she has a black heart.

Talon on January 1, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Buy Danish on January 1, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Yeah, so, oops!

You missed the fact that my hyperbole was intentional, to prove a larger point: that suggesting that Ms. Powers was not as bad as some was not an affirmative defense.

It was in fact, damning with faint praise; perhaps you should review the meaning and usage of that, rather than attempting to school me. My comprehension isn’t really at issue here.

massrighty on January 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM

She refuses to address the hosts issue.

Wade on January 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM

IU_Conservative on January 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Find a similar mistake.

massrighty on January 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Sarah Palin said:

The Democrats promise that a government health care system will reduce the cost of health care, but as the economist Thomas Sowell has pointed out, government health care will not reduce the cost; it will simply refuse to pay the cost. And who will suffer the most when they ration care? The sick, the elderly, and the disabled, of course. The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama’s “death panel” so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their “level of productivity in society,” whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil.

The thing is that both sides have demagogued the issue to the point that it is almost impossible to have a rational conversation about this topic. It really is. Talking to someone about a living will or advance directives is not the same thing as denying them care. It happens all the time everyday, there is nothing strange or scary about it. However, trying to make these changes via regulation is not going to make people any more comfortable with the subject.

I think Obamacare should be repealed, but we still need to deal with the growing cost of long term care as well as quality of life issues.

I know a family right now that can not decide what decision to make for their 93 year old matriarch. She has an exterior pace maker, is on dialysis, is on a ventilator and is so doped up for the pain she suffers that she is not aware of her surroundings. If we did all that to someone in prison it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment..and if her family were paying for the cost themselves, they might be able to make that decision. Too bad she did not make it herself when she was still able to do it.

I don’t know the answer, but the problem is not going to go away.

Terrye on January 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM

massrighty on January 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I know your hyperbole was intentional! That doesn’t make it any less objectionable or idiotic. To say that someone is not as bad as someone else is not damning with faint praise. There has to be intent to damn the person. Asher merely provided an honest comparison which was largely favorable.

If I said “MassRighty is as brilliant, honest, and gaffe-free as Joe Biden” I would be damning you with faint praise because my intention would be to insult you. Too bad you’re too thick-headed to see the difference.

Buy Danish on January 1, 2011 at 5:45 PM