Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on December 31, 2010 by Allahpundit

“Palin is by no means politically unnuanced. Quite the contrary, she is as politically savvy as they come, whether on the domestic or international front. Her speeches during the recent congressional elections were not only unteleprompted barnburners in the best populist tradition, but revealed a meticulous command of the domestic issues currently bedeviling the nation as well as a finely nuanced understanding of America’s pancreatic failures in international diplomacy. She displays a far more realistic perspective on the Middle East and has far more accurately taken the measure of America’s geopolitical competitors, particularly Russia and China, than anyone in the Democratic administration.

“But is Palin electable? The next two years will determine whether she will be able to counter the slanderous media campaign against her candidacy and her competence, and so convince enough people that she has the right stuff to lead the country in perhaps its most perilous historical moment since the Civil War. Clearly, she suffers more than her share of antagonists among the megabuck left and their myriad satellites, Ivy League academics, mainstream journalists, public intellectuals, union impresarios and henchmen, and the entitlement-addicted segment of the public. They are terrified of her. She even has the panjandrums in the Republican old guard shaking in their Guccis.

“As Victor Volsky writes in American Thinker, ‘in the eyes of the political/cultural aristocracy, [Palin] is the embodiment of its worst nightmare: the revolt of the masses against their masters.’ And she knows that the master class will mobilize its considerable reserves against her. The question is whether, by sheer force of character, will, and charisma, like an American version of Delacroix’s Marianne leading the charge at the electoral barricades, and by pursuing a tireless itinerary, she can prevail against overwhelming odds and bring to the American people authentic change and genuine hope for the future.”

***
“Yes, she did give at least a couple of Serious Policy Speeches, but I don’t get the sense that they got any traction at all, not with all of the tweets and the reality shows and the books stuff with platitudes. Her fans, of course, never needed convincing, but for the rest — and, here, I’m really focused on Republicans — is there anyone who wrote her off as a lightweight who is now giving her a new look because of her speech on the Fed? I very much doubt it. As for proving herself trustworthy to interest group leaders and Republican politicians, well, I haven’t seen any reporting that even hinted at that. She had some notable good calls in the 2010 contest, such as in the South Carolina gubernatorial race, but just as many bad, or just odd, endorsements. I can’t imagine that the Joe Miller fiasco helped, either.

“Mostly, she’s giving every indication that if she formally enters the race, she intends to run as a factional candidate by mobilizing her personal loyalists. That was a viable strategy in the 1970s, perhaps, at least on the Democratic side, but it’s highly unlikely that a factional candidate can win now in a coalition-style nominating process.

“It’s not too late for her, but it’s getting closer, I think.”

***
“DeMint backed Romney in the 2008 presidential primary — but said he’s got ‘an open mind’ about 2012…

“Palin, for one, has never talked to DeMint before, even though they hail from the same part of the ideological spectrum and are considered heroes of the tea party movement.

“‘We’ve never spoken, but she left me a nice message, and I believe she’s done more for the Republican Party than anyone since Ronald Reagan,’ he said.”

***
“On balance, these factors look somewhat less favorable to Ms. Palin than they did a year ago. In particular, it should be alarming to her how quickly some figures in the Republican establishment have turned against her. It is probably not a coincidence that these attacks began to escalate shortly after this November’s elections, in which Republicans were perceived as having sacrificed several Senate seats, like in Delaware and Nevada, because of having nominated unelectable candidates.

“Meanwhile — after an interim period in which she seemed to be playing the role of the happy warrior, endorsing and raising money for Republican candidates — Ms. Palin recently seems to have become less selective about the arguments that she is engaging in. Her choice to attack Ms. Obama’s anti-obesity initiatives, for instance, suggests that she is either not listening to advice or that her advisers are not highly competent. Instead, she should be erring on the side of turning the other cheek: one thing that has generally been true is that presidential candidates who project a sunnier, more optimistic disposition tend to outlast those that come across as angrier. This may be especially important for Ms. Palin, who is always a lightning-rod for criticism; she doesn’t need to instigate any conflicts that she isn’t already engaged in.

“Still, Ms. Palin has some unique strengths, like her ability to use new media to attract the political world’s attention virtually at her whim. It remains conceivable, also, that the attacks that Ms. Palin will receive from members of the Republican establishment — and those which she will eventually begin to receive from other Republican Presidential contenders — could be turned to her advantage if she manages them in the right way, considering the anti-establishment mood in some corners of the party.”

***
Via the Daily Caller.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 2:32 AM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on January 1, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Some things never change

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 2:40 AM

I never understood why Chuck backed Huckabee?!?..:)

Dire Straits on January 1, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Huck threatened to kick Chuck’s patootie…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Does like this song make me a bad person?

annoyinglittletwerp on January 1, 2011 at 2:21 AM

No, but it might bring out Lucy’s husband…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 2:43 AM

I support Sarah Palin for President and I think she can win. Part of the reason I think she can win is that I’m in the demographics who the MSM tells us should hate Sarah. I’m very liberal on social and environmental issues. What is not being taken into account is that Palin represents a victory of the masses over the elites. It’s not like the elite have done a good job. After Bush/Clinton/Bush/Obama, I’d be happy to give someone from a different camp a chance. And Palin gives us everyman common sense in abundance. She is like a Andrew Jackson and Ronald Reagan rolled into one. Go Sarah! I’ll happily commit treason to my MSM assigned group identity to support you!

thuja on January 1, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 2:30 AM

If Gov. Palin wins the nomination I will vote for and enthusiastically campaign for her.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 1, 2011 at 2:34 AM

That is the key. Whoever is the nominee, we must join forces like our lives depend on it, because, in the final analysis, it does.

The nominee is going to have to raise hundreds of billions dollars and excite us conservatives into a frenzy where we are not just content to cast our vote but rather become actuated by our passions to ACTIVELY campaign like there is no tomorrow. We almost have to get into a zone of irrational frenzy to over come the odds.

I am a rationalist, but no one goes into battle unless they allow their irrational, no holds barred irrationality, to emerge and guide them. I am not talking about violence, I am talking about a tidal wave of crazed support (once you have made decisions using intuition and reason). Lets pray someone can emerge that will lite that fuse.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

My left-leaning cousin-in-law the military-hater who was born in Canada because his parents ran away there so that his father wouldn’t get drafted during Vietnam…likes that group.
*run-on totally for effect*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 1, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Huck threatened to kick Chuck’s patootie…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 2:41 AM

ROFL..You owe me another keyboard!..:)

Dire Straits on January 1, 2011 at 2:48 AM

thuja on January 1, 2011 at 2:43 AM

I’ve read many of your comments here before.
I’m impressed by your post. Do you watch her TLC Program?

Welcome to our Tea Party, and Happy New Year.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 2:51 AM

thuja on January 1, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Glad to have you among our tribe. I hope you have no aversions to wearing war paint. Our thunder will be heard.

We are going to party like its 1773 and screw Gwen Eyefull.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 2:54 AM

The nominee is going to have to raise hundreds of billions dollars… Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Running for King of the Universe?!

Akzed on January 1, 2011 at 2:55 AM

New Year coming to the West Coast in 8… 7… 6… 5… 4… 3…

Oh, wait!

Some judge, besides turning off the water and letting illegals to vote, has just declared that it is 2008 all over again…!

Seven Percent Solution on January 1, 2011 at 2:55 AM

gary4205 on January 1, 2011 at 1:12 AM

You don’t believe in the rule of law, and you don’t believe in free market capitalism. That is why you are a Palin fan. If you want to remove a bad cop, you follow the laws. If you want to spark innovation and jobs in Alaska, you scrap ACES and AGIA, Palin’s disasters in populist posturing, and state industrial planning.

AshleyTKing on January 1, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Seven Percent Solution on January 1, 2011 at 2:55 AM

You have a singular sense of humor, and I like that.

Let the Water Flow!

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM

The nominee is going to have to raise hundreds of billions millions of dollars
Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Opps. I originally said half a billion dollars; then changed it to hundreds of but forgot to change “of billions” to “of millions”.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t Obama raise 600 mill. Some of it was from contributions outside the US.

I have heard that, for some, beer can sometimes effect splelling although it has never happend to me personally.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:02 AM

AshleyTKing on January 1, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Ha…such a lame response to the facts…Go vote for Daddy’s lil Senator again. I’m sure they’ll let you…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Opps. I originally said half a billion dollars;

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Well, he got money from questionable sources, and we’ll never know where they came from.

But, being a conspiracy lacky, it’s important to fact check the media that allowed a communist to reach the office of the Presidency, and defame it by coupling 1/6 of our economy into servitude.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Let the Water Flow!

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Sounds like a good rally cry for the new Congress in 2011…

Happy New Year, my friend!

… It is on it’s way to you.

:O)

Seven Percent Solution on January 1, 2011 at 3:10 AM

In no particular order I detest the following people:

Noonan

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Am I missing anyone?

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Barry Barack Huisinsane Otero Obama whatevah

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Surely Media Matters will fact check it for us.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Nichole Wallace
Steve Schmidt
Every Dem in Congress
Al Franken
Arlen Sphincter

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Palin is a threat to the system…… and while the Mafia families may have to go to war every ten years or so. They understand that the system must be protected. Present day politics is no different.

roflmao

donabernathy on January 1, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Surely Media Matters will fact check it for us.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:13 AM

The question is, “Who does the Media Matter”?

It’s time to bring Journalism, back to the Nobel profession it once was. Objective and Unbiased. It’s time to passe the Nobel Prize as a booby prize.

Be prepared for the onslaught of liberal Craptology.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Well “Net Neutrality” thing scares the bejesus out of me. It is incrementalism pure and simple. Top Down control under the guise of making things safe for children and free of government leakesblah blah blah

How is it possible to monitor everything and them by some divine insight determine what is fair and balanced. It is computational impossible to implement.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 3:09 AM

I financially supported and voted for Miller.

AshleyTKing on January 1, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Primary and general.

AshleyTKing on January 1, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:28 AM

It is the Greatest infringement to the First Amendment.
No Doubt, this is the first step to limit free speech.

The “Crisis Not to Waste”, is just that. A reason to control the expression and transport of thought, reason, and opinion, is at the government’s discreation.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:37 AM

thuja on January 1, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Delusional.

The mind reels.

rickyricardo on January 1, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 2:44 AM

It might be the vodka, but that was a great post.

This is why I don’t understand the constant naysaying about Palin’s presidential chances from our so called moderate “big tent” allies.

Is Palin or her supporters not allowed in this “big tent”? I am not sure how many Palin supporters there actually are, but does Krauthammer and others not want us engaged in politics at all? Or just not if it means we support the “half-termer”?

Conservatives are told by the enlightned portion of the GOP that we need as many diverse views as we can have within the GOP.

So they welcome everyone but Palin? Seems like a strange way of promoting this diverse coalition the moderates are constantly clamouring for.

Okay, so you don’t like Palin for president. Then promote your man. Let’s hear why he should be president. Then VOTE for him. Why so much negative talk about another Republican.

I try to follow Reagan’s Eleventh Commandment (most of the time) because I know the alternative is a liberal ruling majority. My feeling is that the worst Republican is still better than the best Democrat.

Krauthammer and others have thrown that possibility away. How do they walk back their words about Palin if she does win the nomination. They couldn’t even if they wanted.

As this new Congress begins a new year we should be trying to present a unified front that is ready to combat this liberal overreach within our government.

Their will be plenty of time to spare during the primaries, but this constant infighting between moderates and conservatives only helps the retched liberals and their agenda.

chief on January 1, 2011 at 3:40 AM

roflmao

donabernathy on January 1, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Absolutely, Palin is a threat in that she will guarantee an Obama win.

rickyricardo on January 1, 2011 at 3:41 AM

Delusional.

The mind reels.

rickyricardo on January 1, 2011 at 3:40 AM

You might want to read the Federalist Papers.

There’s nothing delusional about the Constitution.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:37 AM

It seems that the tentacles of the Government-Media Complex have spread quite far enough onto the net. The alphabet soup of Networks all have their representations and entrenchments little different from what spews forth as a daily prolefeed from the TV.

The difference is, on the net, there is an amorphous body of fact checkers that dig deeper and set the record straight who have the temerity to criticize, comment and offer counter-factual proof against the litany of bogus reports.

I suspect the elites would much rather prefer to have their doublespeak go unchallenged. They seek to tilt the playing field in their favor. Little surprises me anymore.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Absolutely, Palin is a threat in that she will guarantee an Obama win.

rickyricardo on January 1, 2011 at 3:41 AM

I hate to ask…. so who do you have in mind, oh mighty sage of Hot Air?

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Little surprises me anymore.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:48 AM

The game is afoot, and we can succeed, by turning it around and exposing the corruption.

Watching Twilight Zone reruns, about war and human faults.
It’s all about bad man, bad man. I don’t believe that.

Entertainment and reality has truly blurred.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 3:55 AM

chief on January 1, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Thanks for the complement.

What you speak of is a real eye opener. Before their efforts we more clandestine and opaque.

While their MO is just as sinister as before, they are off their A-game and so have become utterly transparent. When you live in a media bubble world, surrounded by sycophants, then you lose all perspective. They don’t know how they sound to us.

They become tone deaf.

They think that their sloppiness has gone undetected because it has gone uncorrected. Over time they have become more lax through the conditioned belief that they still fool us.

That is their problem and Palin has gotten them off their A-game.

Keep your eyes open my friend. There is more to come.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 3:58 AM

It’s alt’s fault that Lucy’s husband is here…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 4:08 AM

It’s alt’s fault that Lucy’s husband is here…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 4:08 AM

LucyALT, you got some splainin to do.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 4:10 AM

I financially supported and voted for Miller.

AshleyTKing on January 1, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Playing both sides, eh? You must be a gov’t contractor!!!

I must be tires as I responded with adjectives…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 4:10 AM

tires sometimes = tired

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 4:11 AM

chief on January 1, 2011 at 3:40 AM

Palin is not an Insider. She’s not apart of the Establishment.
She’s an Outsider from the General Order of the GOP.
She’s the Average American trying to raise a family.
She’s an Ordinary American with Family Values.
She’s the Picture of Success.

She’s their ENVY. Their THREAT.

She will bring down the elitist snobs. We have to be her ARMY.

If not, be prepared to live like Canada.

No offense canofor.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 4:12 AM

Being Governor screwed up her two oldest. Hate to see what being President would do to the next two.

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Oops! I meant canopfor. Apologies Friend.

Anyway, just a little more than 30 minutes before the New Year passes over us.

Fireworks going off everywhere. Lights and explosions all around. The DOGS are going crazy. The smoke is acrid, but the trade are pushing it out.

It’s our last night of having fun. Cause the govmint took this right away. We’re too stupid to handle fireworks.

Does anyone remember FREEDOM?

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 4:33 AM

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Isn’t there a catbox you can go piss in?

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 4:34 AM

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Isn’t there a catbox you can go piss in?

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Mitt’s Dapper Dan man doesn’t have much to do…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 4:41 AM

Ah, a Dapper Dan.
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou.

Great Movie.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 4:45 AM

Does anyone remember FREEDOM?

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 4:33 AM

That’s an archaic term that has since fallen out of present usage as it was eliminated from the Newspeak dictionary when Asia was at war with Oceana.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 4:46 AM

Geochelone,

We have Whales out side our window.

I hope this inspires the new year, only 7 minutes left.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 4:53 AM

Geochelone,

We have Whales out side our window.

I hope this inspires the new year, only 7 minutes left.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 4:53 AM

Wow. CETUS. You are blessed to have such a view.

What species? I watch them swim along the pacific coast near La Jolla in February, thereabouts. They migrate back and forth down to the tip of Baja and up to the Pacific north west.

Its a Good OMEN dude.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Freedom

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Do you understand?

Afterall, it’s more than 100 yrs old or something…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Saw there was a new vote for Palin website listing all the open primaries Dems can vote in and for which ones they need to register Republican.

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 5:08 AM

I can understand Sarah Palin resigning from Governor during the time that the left was employing a strategy to ruin her, and the State of Alaska, by creating a gazillion charges, accusations, and so forth, against her, designed to overwhelm her and the state of Alaska just so they could hate her, and ruin her.

A person cannot perform their job properly if every time they took a breath another summons, another law suit, etc., were being launched, and the cost was either going to bankrupt the state as if the state would use its resources to defend its governor. Sarah Palin’s family was going to be living in the street, homeless, paying out of their own pocket.

That is something Charles the Elitist snob RINO Krathammer does not even mention, or acknowledge, when he drops a short bit about Sarah Palin being a 1/2 term governor.

Perhaps she should not run for president, for if she does, there will be so many violent, hate filled, misogynist thugs out in force trying to make her, and her family’s, and her supporters’ lives a living hell. If and when she is elected to the Presidency, all that will happen is the media will mock and insult her every single day of the year, 24/7. There won’t be anything she does or does not do which will not be under scrutiny, or attacked.

She will have people who never heard of her before suing her, mall part of the left’s policy to destroy her, and the media will be a participant in her character assasionation, and in attempting to ruin her, and spread vile crap about her.

I think it would be GREAT if Sarah Palin takes all 50 states, winning more than 80% of all the popular vote.

Can you imagine the suicides, the riots, the terrorist attacks from the left as they blow up buildings, riot in the street, murder people in droves, rampage, loot and pillage, and so forth? They WILL do such things, for they do it even when Sarah Palin ISN’T elected to the presidency. With the hatred that the left, the Entertainment industry, and the media promote against her, they not only want the USA to fail miserably, but they want to hurt, hate, and demonize Sarah Palin and her family.

Nevertheless, it would be cool to watch the haters go insane and babble their typical, misogynistic, anti-Conservative, anti-US citizens nonsense, and it would be cool to watch the elitist snobs of the “Republican” bent go insante and pull their hair out of their heads when Sarah Palin wins, as they see their old boys’ insider’s snob club ruined.

William2006 on January 1, 2011 at 5:09 AM

Do you understand?

Afterall, it’s more than 100 yrs old or something…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Freedom…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Dude, you are a Youtube super-sleuth.

I watched both vids. And now patriot juices are coursing through my veins amidst no small percentage of alcohol.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:13 AM

CETUS

?

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:16 AM

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Now why would Mitt set up such a site? Surely, he doesn’t have that many books left to give away? It can’t mean that he wants to squander more of his kid’s inheritence finishing 3rd again, can it?

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 5:20 AM

What species?

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM

Humpback, I think. They sing sometimes at night.

I cannot tell you how much…

Meanwhile, the dogs are barking their heads off, and the cat is hiding under the bed.

I’ve just made it past the label on the bottle and the fireworks are still going…..

Bedlam!

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:22 AM

William2006 on January 1, 2011 at 5:09 AM

Lest anyone challenge her reasons for quitting (some have expressed legitimate concerns); but those that repeat the Mantra she’s a quitter I have this to say.

And it has stopped Libtards dead in their tracks.

I simply remind them that: She also resigned as Oil and Gas Commissioner of AK and shortly thereafter fought all manner of opposition and became GOVERNOR.

Apparently quiting then did not stop her from higher office. She merely reloaded and gunned down the corruption all the way up the ladder.

Then I say: See a pattern?

That’s when they freak out.

Keep it short and keep it potent.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Whale sounds are totally ethereal. I once scuba dove with a wild dolphin. It swam half a foot from my facemask and blasted my face with with high frequency sonar.

It felt like an electric shaver was vibrating my flesh. I didn’t move. You can’t out maneuver a dolphin. The dolphin was JoJo and ended up on National Geographic. The film crew was actually in the water with us beginner scuba divers that very day at the Turk Islands.

I kept forgetting to breathe.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:28 AM

“Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

Acts 1:1-11

Portend?

Ugly on January 1, 2011 at 5:31 AM

CETUS

?

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:16 AM

CETUS is the Whale constellation while MystiCETI is one suborder.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:31 AM

Do you understand?

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 5:05 AM

It was that episode, that I became a Conservative.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:32 AM

Keep it short and keep it potent.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Thats what she said

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 5:34 AM

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Saw that the Palin kids don’t wait to spend their inheritance. moommy gotta buy them stuff now

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 5:36 AM

I kept forgetting to breathe.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:28 AM

I can relate. Especially with Box Jellyfish. OUCH!

MystiCETI, a quick google and I see I need to educate myself on this.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:39 AM

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 5:36 AM

Still in the catbox

See a doctor about that…. oh wait, you got Obamacare.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:42 AM

I can relate. Especially with Box Jellyfish. OUCH!

MystiCETI, a quick google and I see I need to educate myself on this.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:39 AM

I would be panic stricken. I snorkeled in Molokini crater in HW. Manta Rays scared the living crap out of me and then there were those things with teeth far off in the distance that looked like sharks. Could have been figments of my panic riddle imagination.

I will never understand the idea of night diving. I would have paroxysms of pured unadulterated fear.

Put me in an Alvin no problem. I’ll go down to the thermal vents in that thing.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:45 AM

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:39 AM

Melville has an entertaining chapter on Cetaceans in Moby Dick. Its public domain on Project Gutenberg.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:48 AM

William2006 on January 1, 2011 at 5:09 AM

It would be, just to point out the fallacy of their argument.

To let it be known the level of their hatred.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:51 AM

I snorkeled in Molokini crater

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:45 AM

So did I, without the hurt though.

Night diving, well, I’m not fish bait, yet. Not gonna happen.
You heard about our land child, Loihi

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:59 AM

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Lets put you and your family under a microscope and see if you fare any better

jims on January 1, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Lets put you and your family under a microscope and see if you fare any better

jims on January 1, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Dude, where do i signup for the reality show.

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 5:48 AM

One of my favorite Authors. Project Gutenberg.org, I assuming.

To which I will spend some more free time exploring.
Thank you for the information. My new year brings a renewed resolution focus.

Aloha,

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 5:59 AM

No that is news to me. Fascinating. I have studied the Galapagos Islands more carefully. My fav is Island Fernandina since it is so active. They entire caldera imploded upon itself and NASA studied it from space in an effort to compare it to Mt. Olympus on Mars.

You would freak out over how big Mt. Olympus is. There is no earthly comparison. There is no plate tectonics on Mars so Volcanoes just keep getting bigger.

The Galapagos just north is on a triple point where three plates meet.

Do you experience much seismic activity? In So Cal we get tremors all the time. One was so bad I felt it while sitting inside my car. Normally the air in tires compensates so you feel nothing.

When the big one hits I haven’t a clue. I prefer many small ones to relive the stress.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Do you experience much seismic activity?

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Yes, everyday, but we watch this site from the USGS everyday.

Every once in a while we feel the movement, but on average, not very much.

One quake, had me watching my car rocking from side to side, as I ran out of the house in 2005. So far, we’ve been lucky, and I count my blessing every day.

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 6:25 AM

Dude, where do i signup for the reality show.

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 6:10 AM

American Idol,

Don’t wait… Run

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 6:25 AM

Most of our activity is either in Baja or in central mexico just south of the boder.

The ones with epicenters in the CA desert nears borego springs are really felt with some intensity. Each one has a character all their own. Some are jittery with windows rattling while others are wavy and make you dizzy. I experienced one in Seattle that was not mild. In fact our bathroom floor remained at slant after it subsided. Marbles would roll quickly to one corner. It was way off center.

Anyway mudslides cause way more damage here.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Anyway mudslides cause way more damage here.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Well, keep vigilant and safe.

I’m going to bed. Even though fireworks are still going off.

Great conversation with you, many more to be.
Thanks and Aloha!

Kini on January 1, 2011 at 7:01 AM

I find it funny that the political pundits who back in 2009 after Sarah Palin resigned as Governor of Alaska opined that her career in politics was over are the very same people who are now saying that if she runs for President she cant win and therefore should not run.

After being so completely wrong about Palin in 2009 why should we listen to them now?

Hellrider on January 1, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Hellrider on January 1, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Its called moving the Goal Posts. The political pundits never question each others track record.

Palin has more clout now than if she had remained governor.

Plus she used her spare time to lay to waist Obama Care and Cap-n-Tax (at least some of its more threatening aspects), among other things; like writing 2 books, publishing in the WSJ and redefining her image so that it now has a modicum of integrity.

Granted there is more work to be done.

Not to mention her influence in the nascent new movement; you know that ramble called the Tea Party that was full chock full of wack jobs and was going no where.

While she isn’t batting 1,000 (who does) most others in the GOP never even stepped up to the F*cking plate.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 7:26 AM

ramble rabble

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Did Allah start a fight for the New Year? I guess you stick with a winning tactic.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 7:53 AM

IDIOT! OF COURSE, SHE WILL BE CRITICISED BY THE BIG NANNIES LIKE HUCKABEE!

So, you want Palin change fro 10% Squish (or lower) to 70%Squish like Romney …. 90%Squish like Huck!

I know what you want … YOU THINK THAT ONLY MODERATES HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO TO THE PRIMARY!

TheAlamos on January 1, 2011 at 7:54 AM

PrezHussein on January 1, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Kinda low, even for Mitt’s Dapper Dan man…The former Governor has 5 children — a son, 3 daughters and, a son. Dust off the clay and try again…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Did you pull an all nighter? I had some tea and feel quite sober. This thread was fun. Not much fighting. Except when PrezH and Lucy’s hubby showed up. The lemmings were soon driven over the cliff in short order. I didn’t respond to them once.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:03 AM

You don’t find his concern touching?

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 8:10 AM

I logged off for an hour or so then decided to log back on to see what’s what…It looks like Mitt’s Minions think Palin’s kids are fair game in between dusting off bits of soiled clay…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Sincerity from Mitt or his Minions? Nahhhhhhh…

Good Morning Cindy, you missed O.C. making an appearance…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Their state of desperation will be their downfall. They saw the numbers in FL and are now prepared for a scorched earth strategy.

They think Mitt is next in line, like its a bakery or something where everybody takes a number. Sorry whoever gets the most votes wins.

We call it democracy.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Darn it! Oh well, I’m old, I sleep the new year in now.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 8:36 AM

You can join and chirp all you want with the anti-Palin chorus of power birds, but one thing is certain, no such chorus of power birds ever would be chirping if they thought for a moment she was just a hillbilly. They are collectively using every high-calibre takedown weapon in their political arsenal, which alone is evidence of her .
ability to change Washington permenantly for the good.

A wise man (Shakspeare?)one said. “Me thinks thou doth protest too much.” An that chorus is protesting too much. If she was anywhere near what they purport she is,she wouldn’t attract one word of criticism.

The stark truth is that she has exactly what they lack and have declared irrelevant years ago – character, honesty, morals, discipline,and isn’t afraid to tell America the truth. It is not what she isn’t that they fear, it is their fear of what she is that they assemble and tremble as they collectively chirp “not Palin, not Palin, not Palin, awwwrrrrk!”

Don L on January 1, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Mitt finished third, 3rd, THIRD in ’08…Using the “next in line” argument means that Palin (VP) and Huckabee are ahead of Mitt in line…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 8:36 AM

As am I and now I’m off til…

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Gohawgs on January 1, 2011 at 8:41 AM

You are right. After I posted that I thought to myself; hey Mitt came in third.

Its just that the GOPers think that he is next in line; as was shown all too clearly when Bush Sr. and Bush Sr.’s wife revealed how blue blooded they truly are. Bush Sr. spoke highly of Romney while Ms Bush totally dissed Gov Palin; “I hope she stays in Alaska.”

Meanwhile they have not a voiced a single criticism of Barry or Bill Clinton; none that I heard.

A real Jaw Dropper.

Anytime you get them to reveal their hand, that is a big heads up for what is coming.

Geochelone on January 1, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I wish I could remember what Mr. Krauthammer said on Special Report last night but it is painfully obvious that he has little to no interaction with people outside the Beltway. I guess that shouldn’t be surprising since getting around is a whole different story for him. But he can get around that and I suggest that he broaden his horizons. At that point I hope he will find that while we are admittedly uncouth, we are not pawns in some kind of game. While I have reservations about every candidate mentioned, Gov. Palin does seem to think about the repercussions of Washington’s “work”.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Happy 1-01-11 Hotairians! Let’s make it another great year for conservatism, and the return to individual liberty. And, to a shrinking and less intrusive government.

Rovin on January 1, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Geochelone

Glad you are back and I hope you are well.

Cindy Munford on January 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM