Poll: 2010 Obamateurism of the Year Final

posted at 8:05 am on December 31, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It comes down to these.  Thanks to extensive rounds of voting, we have our Final Four of Obamateurisms this year, and they’re all doozies.  Will it be Barack Obama’s famous finger-wag at the Supreme Court during the State of the Union speech on national television, in which Obama managed to prove he didn’t understand the case nor the ruling?  Making himself into the arbiter of income caps?  Misquoting something as basic as the Declaration of Independence — multiple times?  Or bailing out on his own press conference, leaving Bill Clinton to handle it, in order to attend a Christmas party?

I don’t envy you this choice.  I’d help you make it, but I have to get ready for a New Year’s Eve party, and the First Mate would get angry with me if I left her holding the bag.  Tomorrow, on New Year’s Day, I’ll review the poll results and announce the 2010 OOTY!

Got an  Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me atobamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

With a normal politician I think it would be safe to do this voting on the last day of the year. With the level of cluelessness achieved by Bambi, however, I don’t think we can rule out his doing something even more amateurish today. I mean, he’s in Hawaii that gives him FIVE EXTRA HOURS to do something stupid in 2010.

Is there some mechanism for keeping the polls open in case he runs into a statue of King Kamehameha and bows down to it today? In the mean time, my interim vote is for #4.

SoRight on December 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I think #4 epitomizes Obama’s presidency up to this point. He appears to love the celebrity and perks but doesn’t want to do the work. He’ll sit in the back of the bus while Pelosi, Reid or Clinton deal with the details. Obama remains above it all, wink-wink.

chickasaw42 on December 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Went with the “at some point you’ve made enough money” because that really epitomizes his core [Marxist] values.

AZfederalist on December 31, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Obama leaves Clinton at press conference podium on tax deal to attend Christmas party

… the press conference podium in the White House

What was the argument in 2008 about not selecting Hillary for VP even though it would have been an automatic win in Novemeber regardless of what McCain did? Oh yeah, because he would have to deal with the prescence and the legacy and the baggage of having Slick Willy back inside the White House and controlling his own Administration.

Oh, … on second thought, nevermind.

parke on December 31, 2010 at 2:39 PM

#1 highlights his anti-free market worldview, and his hypocrisy, since I’m sure he’ll never think he’s reached that point himself.
#2 highlights how much of an empty suit he is, portraying himself as intellectual when he doesn’t have a clue.
#3 highlights how captive he is to a segment of his base that rejects the notion that there might be any authority greater than the federal government.
#4 highlights how little he wants to deal with the process of governance, and how little regard he has for the idea that the citizens want their President to lead.

It’s tough to pick, because the Obamateur is an amateur in so many ways.

wordsson on December 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM

But One Get One Free. Two for the price of One.

antisocial on December 31, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Difficult choices. Which one shows him at his most stupid.

Oleta on December 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM

It had to be Obambi leaving Clinton at the mike, the ultimate example of how he’s just been hanging on the sidelines, accomplishing nothing worthwhile.

rmgraha on December 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I understand everybody’s interest in the choice of letting Clinton take over a presser, but I have to lobby for Obama’s clear declaration of socialist ideology as the supreme proof of his lack of qualification to lead anything. When one person believes that they can decide when you’ve “made enough money”, and that person holds the weapon of executive fiat, we’re in very much trouble. The others are cases of stupidity, for certain, but this is a clear and present danger to the liberty of every American. Vote wisely.

Freelancer on December 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM

If Obama was merely a slacker who doesn’t really grasp the nuances of the Declaration or Supreme Court rulings, I wouldn’t be nearly as worked up over him. It’s the vile Marxism that really gets to me, thus I voted for “at some point you’ve made enough money.”

bitsy on December 31, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Unfortunately, most of you have got this wrong…The correct answer is #3 “Obama quotes Declaration, leaves out “endowed by their Creator”

Because it embodies ALL of the progressive movement of which Obama is just a part. If you remove God from The Constitution and America, then the government now has the power to provide “rights.” It gives government ultimate power.

JeffVader on December 31, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I was pretty sure the Clinton one would win but I think his comment in No. 1 is extremely telling which is why I voted for it. Particularly since he himself has made millions of dollars from his book sales.

“At a certain point, you other people have made enough money and it’s up to my government to forcibly take it from you and spend it as we see fit.”

Combine that with his wife’s griping about the cost of buying fresh fruit for her kids and his history of miserly charitable donations despite his own wealth.

If these Left-wingers were so concerned about the poor or the downtrodden they would put their hands in their own generously lined pockets- but it’s always been about power for them.

Jay Mac on December 31, 2010 at 4:45 PM

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better party rest that I go to than I have ever known.

I still wish that he had done a shout out or two before skedaddling, though … it would have made for a nicely matched pair of OOTY bookends for 2009 & 2010.

ya2daup on December 31, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Obama: Still not ready for Prime Time.

TN Mom on December 31, 2010 at 11:33 PM

AZfederalist on December 31, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Yup. Walking away from an impeached and disbarred former President at the White House press podium only shows his contempt for the Presidency, not his core political philosophy (soft Marxism).

Jaibones on January 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM