Video: The obligatory “R. Lee Ermey calls Obama a socialist” clip

posted at 7:50 pm on December 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Half a dozen e-mail requests for this in just the past hour or so. That’s how slow this news day is. Although it’s actually sort of topical: In hindsight, I can’t believe I didn’t think of RLE when composing the hierarchy of manliness for this post. What’s even more stereotypically “manly” than a gingerbread house made of beef, bacon, and cheez whiz? Why, R. Lee Ermey inveighing against socialism in front of a cheering crowd, of course.

Seeing him all worked up like this is sweet, if only because it calls to mind his greatest role. By which, of course, I mean the lovably homicidal gay coach in “Saving Silverman.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

CPL 310 on December 29, 2010 at 11:55 PM

I’ve read the ‘Short-Timers’. Great book.
Btw: I’m so glad my parents were willing to ‘indulge’ their little tomboy, military history buff daughter.
Military history was much more interesting than the pretty and pink crap my grandmother was trying to push. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:28 AM

That is very good information..Thank You!..:)

Dire Straits on December 30, 2010 at 12:02 AM
Thanks.

BowHuntingTexas on December 30, 2010 at 12:04 AM

He’s one of my favorite authors, and one of the reasons I joined up.

It’s interesting to note that Gus Hasford didn’t think that much of Ermey, calling him a “worthless lifer pogue” because Ermey was a helo support group guy. Ermey’s done a lot for the Corps, but Hasford, a guy at the pointy end of the spear… well, to put it nicely, Hasford didn’t see eye-to-eye with Ermey.

Just for fun, try to find R Lee Ermey’s MOS. 0911 – DI (or 8511 back in the day) doesn’t count. DI is a secondary MOS. Try to find his primary MOS. Betcha can’t.

Ermey’s done a lot for Corps and country with his publicity, but from what little I’ve read about him talking about his time overseas… he’s rather humble about being a helo bubba. He’s not dishonest about it, but his service record and the public image that is perceived about him isn’t necessarily perfectly consistent – though he doesn’t try to project one that isn’t true… folks just believe things that they feel go along with his demeanor.

CPL 310 on December 30, 2010 at 2:11 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Yeah, but after boot camp or being in the desert, pink is really nice to see again. Well, not grandma’s, unless you’re taking one for the team.

FYI, telling a chick you hook up with and then date after a deployment that she’s nicer to look at than the desert for 10 months will turn into “so I’m better than dirt?” She will never understand that it’s actually a compliment.

CPL 310 on December 30, 2010 at 2:16 AM

CPL 310 on December 30, 2010 at 2:16 AM

I washed out of USMC bootcamp on 23March89 due to a medical problems. I was in Plt 4008 NCO.
While I married a former Marine- my husband served with HMH 462(Heavy Haulers) during the early-mid 1980′s- I still wonder about what might have been.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Unlike Colin Powell and David Hunt, guys like Ermey didn’t fight a war against communists in Vietnam, just to come home and vote one into the office of the presidency…

SuperCool on December 30, 2010 at 2:49 AM

FMJ, one of my all-time favorite movies!

tbear44 on December 30, 2010 at 4:22 AM

If we could get people like him to take over part of our public education system……..discipline would no longer be a problem.

SC.Charlie on December 30, 2010 at 7:04 AM

R. Lee Ermey is an American classic. He made “Full Metal Jacket.” His TV show on weaponry was terrific.

Phil Byler on December 30, 2010 at 7:26 AM

dec5 on December 30, 2010 at 7:46 AM

FMJ, one of my all-time favorite movies!

tbear44 on December 30, 2010 at 4:22 AM

The first half for sure. Especially for those who have gone through the experience. The movie was particularly spooky for me because, like Joker, I had fire-watch late one night near the end to find a person in the Latrine who had cracked. Luckily in my case, he just decided to take a shower with one sock on and babble incoherently.

TheBigOldDog on December 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I see what you did there….you think RLE is pissed about DADT, and you may be right. He’s then lashing out at Obama on this front and your chiding him in return by calling him a hypocrite right.

nahh...that can’t be right../

ted c on December 30, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Would love to see this Marine stand next to President Sarah Palin… Can you imagine the joy this guy would express to see a pro military Reagan Conservative back in the White House?…. Hooorahhhh!!! – dec5 on December 30, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Sarah Palin is no Ronald Reagan. Ermy has become an American icon, just with the small public exposure that he has had.

SC.Charlie on December 30, 2010 at 9:20 AM

ALLAHPUNDIT, great recipe for a ginger bread house, and an excellent choice in manning up the message by R. Lee Ermey.

Keep up the great work and let’s keep exposing the truth wherever it lay.

MSGTAS on December 30, 2010 at 9:23 AM

CPL 310 on December 30, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Only if she’s never been there, brother. THIS chick would appreciate the remark. :)

CantCureStupid on December 30, 2010 at 10:05 AM

private waffles, you have exactly 24 months un-F yourself and get our country squared away!

DrW on December 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM

He pretty much says it all right there…

PatriotRider on December 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I agree with what he says completely, though maybe this wasn’t the best venue in which to say it(not that the horde of Hollywood leftist celebs are good at self-censoring when it come to spouting off about their politics).

Blacklake on December 30, 2010 at 10:45 AM

OK, if I had to choose between which faux pas I could excuse:
1) R. Lee calling the POTUS a socialist at a Toys for Tots rally.
or
2) Having Kathy Griffin insult Bristol Palin’s figure at a USO show.
I would have to side with R. Lee simply because he’s not hypocritical about how he feels.

mizflame98 on December 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM

A little bit of a different tune than he was singing last year.

jnelchef on December 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM

jnelchef on December 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM

That R. Lee’s not a birther is another reason to like him.
I’m not a birther either.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 30, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Not really his fault. I never got the impression that Ermey was a grunt, even back in 1986. It is what it is, you can’t get too complicated, people will just zone out.

Most folks don’t realize that DI or Drill Sgt or even recruiter is a temporary assignment, and one that most NCOs HATE with a passion.

reaganaut on December 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

The older generation gets it.

I don’t necessarily trust even our young “libertarians” let alone liberals to grasp what is going on or help us find a way out of it.

scotash on December 30, 2010 at 12:40 PM

nahh…that can’t be right../

ted c on December 30, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Of course, and Superman was gay too…

bbordwell on December 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Good job, dipsh*t. You just politicized Toys For Tots. This “socialist” won’t be giving a thing to the newly partisan T4T again. What a dirtbag — and to the fools who applaud him, wow, good work in putting the kids first.

What an idiotic post.

bifidis on December 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Count on Allah to help politicize Toys 4 Tots. Just can’t keep your hands off the kids.

bifidis on December 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM

What an idiotic post.

bifidis on December 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

So what? You weren’t going to anyway, and you’ve found your excuse not to give, and you storm off in a self-righteous leftist huff.

CPL 310 on December 30, 2010 at 1:19 PM

R. Lee Ermey is a great guy. I met him at the last NRA convention where he was working for Glock. He was nice as he could be and took plenty of time with everyone. My wife and I got plenty of pictures.

My kind of guy to be sure.

saiga on December 30, 2010 at 1:33 PM

bifidis on December 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Are you in therapy for “daddy” issues?

You should be.

BowHuntingTexas on December 30, 2010 at 1:42 PM

He had the same role in The Boys in Company C.
He was awesome there too.

KZnextzone on December 30, 2010 at 2:03 PM

He’s so stinkin’ AWESOME! I didn’t know we could like him even better, but now, wow! It was obviously from the heart and I think brave. I really appreciate him speaking up, and he got it spot on. God bless him!

Minorcan Maven on December 30, 2010 at 2:36 PM

What an idiotic post.

bifidis

thats the pot calling the kettle black if you dont like what r lee said too bad buy a ticket to the socialist country of your choice and spread your wings and fly like a turkey.in case you have’nt noticed this is not a socialist country and will never never be.too many people like me that will stop it no matter what.put that in your pipe and smoke it commie.

lees on December 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

What an idiotic post.

bifidis on December 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

If you’re a socialist, you wouldn’t give to any charity at all because you’re core belief is that the federal government’s entire purpose for being IS to be a charitable organization.

Dipsh!t…

SuperCool on December 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Oo-Rah!

R. Lee owns.

bifidis, here’s an open invitation to call the Gunny a dirtbag to his face. I’m sure you’ll get right on that upon your return from namby-pamby land.

Freelancer on December 31, 2010 at 3:10 AM

OOORAH!

Roy Rogers on December 31, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Amazing how Hot Air always manages to put in a plug for the homosexual agenda, even when it is really a huge stretch, like here.

tballard on December 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM

lees on December 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Heh.

davidk on December 31, 2010 at 5:35 PM

bifidis on December 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Puh-Lease!!!

Liberals don’t give to charity anyway. Conservatives give at twice the rate that liberals do. So please, don’t go off so pouty. As if you were giving anyway.

itsspideyman on January 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM

SC.Charlie on December 30, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Sarah has many qualities of Reagan and Thatcher. Or should I say Reagan was very much like Sarah….;) They both have become the Litmus test for the Conservative vote, intentional
or not. Both also have a devoted base that cannot be ignored.

dec5 on January 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I just saw on R Lee Ermey’s website, that he wrote an apology for what he said. Actually I think it was more for “when” he said it(while trying to raise funds for Toys For Tots), but I don’t see why he should apologize. He was just saying what we are all thinking. You know it, I know it, he knows it, so who are we bulls****ing, huh?!

I’m glad he had the courage to say it.

Sterling Holobyte on January 4, 2011 at 12:30 AM